House Season Finale: Discuss It Here!

[Warning: If you have yet to watch Monday's season finale of House, run — don’t walk — to the nearest exit. Everyone else, onward and downward….]

Well, it won’t be hard to figure out how House will explain Lisa Edelstein’s absence next season.

Monday’s Season 7 finale ended with a psychotically jealous House driving his car head first into Cuddy’s abode while she was hosting a dinner party with a potential new suitor.

Translation: House nearly killed Cuddy!

House immediately fled the scene, leaving a horrified Cuddy — not to mention a slightly injured Wilson — to survey the damage. While being grilled by investigators, Cuddy made it painfully clear that she would be pressing charges. “If Greg House steps foot in my hospital again, comes anywhere near me, I want him thrown in jail,” she demanded.

The episode ended with a shot of fugitive House taking a stroll on some beach (presumably) on the other side of the globe.

Still reeling from the shocking climax? Filled with burning questions? You’re in luck, ’cause I’ll be speaking with series creator David Shore tomorrow morning for a quicky post mortem. In the meantime, hit the comments section with your snappy judgments about tonight’s episode.

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: News, Recaps, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Sammy says:

At least Jesse Spencer is still hot! Please ask David Shore if Jesse is coming back for season 8!!!!!!!!!!

2. Anonymous says:

They would’ve done better to have the shots with Cuddy and House talking to the police right at the end rather than mixed in at the start and middle…it really took away from the magnitude of the moment and left me rather disappointed. I’ll still watch the 8th season, if only to see how it all ends, but the only way this show has a chance of getting back to its glory days is to return to the primarily medicine and case-based storylines of the early seasons and make the character interactions the secondary plotlines.

3. Stephanie says:

Wow! Such House Style….all you naysayers.. this had to happen…some big, over-the-top punch for House (at Cuddy) and then off to the beach, or hooker, or whatever. Classic House. Still need Cuddy back for season 8, though.

• Bambi says:

YES!!! finally someone that agrees with me. Classic episode.

• Emgee says:

I agree as well. People want House to stay exactly the same, but, contrary to what House believes, people do change, and he showed this himself.

4. Gary says:

I loved House as a screwed, flawed character, but there is no redemption after what just happened in the season finale. House’s actions have been selfish and dangerous for the entire run of the series, but this took it too far. He could have killed Cuddy, or any of the others in there. Did he know where the daughter was?

I love a show that leaves me in a shocked state, and sometimes annoyed by the finale, but not in this way.

• Bill Dauphin says:

For all the reasons you lay out, I have to wonder if what we saw “really” happened. As you say, if it all happened the way we saw it, there truly is no redemption or excuse… and since this ep was never conceived as a *series* finale, I have to believe there’s something we don’t know.

BTW, isn’t it night time in the clips with Cuddy and Wilson talking to the cops? And wasn’t it broad daylight when we saw House crash into Cuddy’s house? Did it really take that long for the cops to arrive — so long that House could hobble off and get away on nothing but one leg and a cane? — or does that not suggest at least *some* distinction between the House-centric narrative and the reality Cuddy and Wilson are reacting to? That is, *something* happened, but not exactly what we think we saw?

OTOH, maybe it’s just what it appeared to be, and next season will be all about House working as a concierge doctor in some tropical paradise with no extradition treaty. “Royal House Pains,” anyone?

• Sharona says:

Since Cuddy was having dinner, it was already early evening at least. Since it gets dark around 8 PM, it wouldn’t have been that long. I thought the cop was mostly just wrapping things up.

5. CTB says:

make sure to tell him to make a service to the world and JUMP FROM A CLIFF! Oh, and don’t let him forget mr Kaboom Greg Yaitanes. And send him a very well deserved slap on my behalf, but make it very soundy and teeth breaking.

6. Ana says:

I will continue watching the show next season simply because I’m not gonna leave it now after 7 seasons, just because one actress decided to leave. That’s her decision. Period. Having said that, the end was a disaster, but this show hasn’t being it usual self for a long time now.

7. vl says:

that late scene surprise me, yes, but the rest of the chapter wasn´t at the height of a season finale. I dont care if Cuddy is out -almost I like it- but that dont was a good finale for her, they can do something best.

• Joan says:

“but the rest of the chapter wasn´t at the height of a season finale”

So true! there were better eps this season than this finale!

8. CTB says:

RIP former best show on tv. Let’s see how Taub’s sperm and goddess 13 will do next year, along with LostEmoWithHookers MD. Hopefully, Chuck Norris will put things in order.*insert sarcasm here*

9. Amy says:

Wow, they have really run this show into the ground. I stopped watching this season after House jumped off the balcony into the pool. I half-way tuned in tonight because there was no Chuck or HIMYM. That was absolutely ridiculous. House has become so incredibly over the top that it is not even fun watching. If it has to go on can we please just focus on Taub and his baby drama? Ridiculous, but still amusing. That is the difference. Maybe Taub just needs to go over to Grey’s where this kind of thing is the norm.

10. Ben says:

That was one of the most boring episodes in the series history. The only non-dead scene was House running into Cuddy’s house, but at least he might have injured/killed her or Rachel or done something dramatic. What is with the writers? Maybe the network is cutting the budget by hiring monkeys to write the show now. It was boring for any episode, but a season finale? Are you kidding me. zzzzzzzzzz

11. David says:

nothing could’ve touched last season finale. HOUSE is still better than most shows on television, but with regard to next year: i agree that it feels right to be the last.

12. katy says:

i just hope, they tell us the truth bout why lisa leaves!, and i feel sorry for David shore and company, they’ll started so exelent, and now, this is like one of the worst series !! #WeSupportLisaE

13. Judy says:

This was great. Cuddy got what she deserved. Back at the beginning of the season, House warned her that the relationship wouldn’t work. He would do something stupid, she would get mad and leave him. She assured him that she wouldn’t. Did she really think that he magically got better? That he would stay off drugs? So when his prediction happened, she bailed. His history repeated.

So tonight the same thing happened. “no, I am not dating anyone.” When he returns the brush, he finds her all cozy with a new guy. In his mind, she lied to him again. Add to all this, Wilson cuts off his drugs.

Driving through her house is certainly a bit extreme, but what would you expect him to do.

14. Kim says:

Not sure how I feel about this one. I think it was a little over the top as far as House driving through Cuddy’s house. He’s been jealous before but not to this extreme. But I have to admit it will be a funny story for them to tell their kids later if the network executives come to their senses and get Lisa back. Honey do you remember when you drove through my house…. There is still time for them to work this out. Let’s just hope they do because really can’t see how the show will work without her.

15. Claudia says:

That was seriously the lamest season finale ever. Heck, it was the lamest EPISODE ever! I’m so glad Lisa left, she deserves MUCH better! As do the other actors, but sadly they’re still tied to this show….. :-( I feel sorry for them :-(

16. Sarah says:

Please do me a solid, Ausiello, and ask David Shore exactly what he and the other writers were smoking when they wrote this episode. I don’t do drugs of any sort, but I want to avoid whatever kind of crap they were on when they wrote this terrible excuse for an episode.

The only saving grace from this joke of a season finale would be to have House wake up in the s8 premiere from a coma or something. There’s NO WAY this could actually be real if the writers were doing the quality work they’re known for, especially when it comes to season finales.

17. Laura says:

It had so much potential. The POTW was pretty good (and I think we all know it was suppose to reflect House). The scene with House and Cuddy in the hallway where he tells her he’s hurt was great. Based on his interaction with the POTW I get the impression he was heading back to Cuddy’s to make real amends. THAT’S a conversation I’d want to see. Not some lame ass dinner party. It’s just too out of character for everyone. Which, in the end, I hated. Not pleased with this finale. They are always so good, and this one was majority disappointing. What a horrible way for Lisa to go out. I’m actually quite angry right now.

18. Antonhy says:

It was a crap! Worst season finale ever!

19. NishaBee says:

Why does everyone keep shouting out of character. This is smack dab in the middle of House’s character handbook. I don’t know what show everyone else has been watching for the past seven years but the one I watch it about a doctor with pain management issues and even bigger personality issues. I don’t think House has jumped the shark and anyone who says different can stop watching, the world and the show will go on without you.

• Gary says:

I think some people are lashing out because it was the final nail in the coffin for Huddy(not that I think there was a chance of Huddy getting back together even if Lisa was staying).

I hated the whole House/Cuddy romantic relationship, but feel this was out of character for House (or maybe not out of character, but the straw that makes the character a lost cause). His past actions tend to fall more on the self-destructive, dangerous to others only in an indirect or accidental way. In this case he took direct and violent action, that could have resulted in multiple injuries and deaths. The character belongs in jail, and I don’t know how he can possibly be redeemed at this point.

• Emgee says:

I agree with NishaBee

• JE says:

I think the real question is what show have you been watching for the past seven seasons? House md used to be a narrative driven story based on an idiosyncratic medical genius and his unorthodox methods of diagnosing difficult cases. How it turned into a character-driven pile of excrement about a drug addict with antisocial personality disorder and his wacky sidekicks that impregnate two women at once, play a precocious medical student who still has to recite her cranial nerves when she wakes up in her third or fourth year (depending on which part of which episode you watch) or help their brother with HD commit suicide only to remarkably, however improbably, keep their medical license is beyond me.

So in my opinion your post is possibly akin to a Rorschach Ink Blot test and a disturbing mental projection of your labile personality. Or you just don’t know squat about human psychology…maybe both.

BTW, the medical accuracy, or complete lack thereof, is appalling. Wegner’s Granulomatosis does NOT cause pancreatic pseudocysts.

20. Laura says:

Well. I wouldnt say at all this was the greatest finale, but for me it was good. They were talking about the relationship! we had wanted that since Bombshells!! He acknowledged he was hurting. He showed jealousy. There was no fake-wife or hookers… Definitely, after what we’ve been suffering this season… this could have been so much worse.
    I watch House for Hugh. If he’s there, I’ll be there.

21. Drdiagnostic says:

I swear I have never seen a show fall so quickly in the course of half a season. That finale was by far the worst in the history of the show. Completely out of character on all fronts an over the top ridiculous! Thank God Lisa bailed as did Larry Kaplow and Doris Egan. Very smart people. I used to trust Shore but this is Twilight Zone material. Psycho House…seriously? Taub getting two women pregnant….hello soap opera. What was a once brilliant show sunk very quickly. The smart writing has gotten lazy and cheap. And I’m so sick of hopeless House. I never thought I’d say this but House officially jumped that shark on the beach he was on.

22. Ronald says:

Well this show is officially dead!

23. beto says:

What were they thinking???? O_O

24. leakeylover says:

Where did they put House, and who IS this guy? Shark bites all over my body. Lisa, you got out while the gettin’ was good.

25. Cantare says:

C+ at best. This is the first House season finale that hasn’t been spectacularly good. My hope for it is that it was really the series finale and that House isn’t coming back for an eighth season, and all the renewal talk has just been a smokescreen. This whole season has been mostly disappointing, and I’m saying that as someone who has really loved this show since the beginning. I don’t see how they can possibly get back to the wonderful show it was up through the end of last season. Where are they going to go with the characters? Please let it be over. I’d love to end it with that shot of House looking out over the ocean.

26. AtLossForWords says:

Ask him whether they lost it or this is just a prank they are playing on us thanks.

27. Jake says:

Wow, all the hate. /boggle
    You people booing this episode are nuts.

That was awesome. The relief that last action had on House was palpable – like removing the weight off the top of a pressure cooker to let all the steam rush out.

LOL @ people getting all crazy on Twitter, etc. over this episode.
    Can they not see that no matter how criminal, House made a HUGE step in dealing with his inner turmoil? They probably are only interested in seeing him suffer.

I was overjoyed to see that House actually got some relief from that action. Remember in the beginning, when Wilson was telling the cops where to look?

“Someplace that matches how he is feeling right now”.

Then in the end, we see a sunny bright beautiful beach. That’s relief baby!

• Laura says:

A temporary high worse than Vicodin.

• Bill Dauphin says:

It would be a huge step, if it weren’t for that pesky “criminal” part: If things really went down the way we saw them, no amount of willing suspension of disbelief could justify House not spending all of next season (not to mention a good fraction of the rest of his life) in prison. I think the only way this makes sense is if whatever really happened was somehow different from what we saw.

BTW, who thinks the cops would imagine they needed to talk Cuddy into pressing charges (“I know in these domestic situations there’s some reluctance….”) if House had *really* endangered her life and those of her guests and her daughter (not to mention the tens of thousands of dollars in damage)? Or that they’d say to Wilson “is there some reason you think we shouldn’t [arrest him]” when asking where they might find House? I can’t help thinking that whatever happened, it wasn’t exactly what we think happened.

• Bill Dauphin says:

Derp! The first line above was supposed to be a blockquote (which is *supposed to* work here, according to the “Allowed Tags” note). P’raps I misspelled “blokcqutoe,” eh?

• Belle says:

Lol, House likes Monster Truck rallies! So I can see the House-Car-House progression, jealous unstable drug addicted people do crazy things. And Yes a *breakthrough* for House being On The Beach ! There may be a lot more wit in this episode than we think.
      This season did suck, I may be alone in my opinion that Cuddy was an uptight controlling bitch who was playing out Her fantasy at Houses’s expense. I Like Lisa e., but I do not see her as a person being comfortable with the Tough Love approach.
      Thus, great acting, kind of.

• Emgee says:

Agreed, Jake. What House did was crazy and wrong, but that is what happens when you bottle up emotion (especially anger) and it all just comes out at once in a cataclysmic and catastrophic way.

The whole episode, Cuddy and Wilson were both trying to get him to release his anger constructively rather than letting it build, and he wouldn’t. Then something just set it off and he couldn’t control it.

• Sarah says:

I must have forgotten that attempted murder was ok as long as it furthers character development. Who cares if somebody could have died? At least House feels better. Wow, thanks for making that clear.

28. Rocki567 says:

Talk about “jump the shark”.

29. Lynn says:

House stories have been going downhill since he went to the asylum. Should have stayed there. This show has lost all focus. This season finale was simply awful. While I used to find the character interesting and engaging, now the character is just a complete bore.

30. Ligia says:

Lisa please STAY AWAY FROM HOUSE! I can’t deal with Lucas 2…… It’s too much!

31. Susan says:

Actually, I kind of enjoyed the car thruogh the window scene. I was hoping he’d walk into the ocean at the end, though.

32. Ronaldo says:

Tell me they are kidding! I can’t believe that this entire season was real!

33. peace_iris@yahoo.com says:

I LOVE “House,” but this episode left me feeling unsettled. Unhappy? What are you writers doing to one of my favorite shows? You know, that sort of thing. I can’t believe this is Cuddy’s send off. What’s going to happen next season? How could this possibly be good for the show? I guess I’m befuddled & more than a little disappointed.

• Emgee says:

I’ve got news for you peace_iris, but House isn’t “your” show. You aren’t ENTITLED to have things go your way simply by watching the show. If you don’t like how it unfolds, fine. That’s your right. But asking what the writers are doing to “your” show is ridiculous. They are the writers, and therefore it is THEY who have the right to take the story and the characters where they see fit.

If you don’t like it, stop watching. But don’t pretend the show belongs to you and that you have some kind of entitlement to having things go your way.

• Tia says:

Dude, can you not read? They said “one of my FAVORITE shows”. That’s not the possessive tense of the verb. It’s a freaking adjective! Take a chill pill and think happy thoughts. Keep this anger going and you’ll be the one driving cars through front doors…

• Emgee says:

My comment still stands. People act like they are entitled to things going their way simply because it is their FAVORITE show.

That’s not the way it works.

So shut up, Tia.

34. Andy says:

Man I stopped watching House last season but when I saw this headline
    HOUSE Season Finale Shocker: Um… Did That Really Just Happen?” on Twitter I secretly was hoping for “HILSON IS FINALLY HAPPING” One can only hope, I’ll settle for Cuddy’s almost death.

35. Sheri says:

Please tell GY that it was criminal what he did to my House tonight. Unless CutThroatB*tch showed up on that beach at the last second, nothing was gonna save it.

• Emgee says:

I’ll tell you what I told peace_iris: House isn’t “your” show. You aren’t ENTITLED to have things go your way simply by watching the show. If you don’t like how it unfolds, fine. That’s your right. But asking what the writers are doing to “your” show is ridiculous. They are the writers, and therefore it is THEY who have the right to take the story and the characters where they see fit.

36. Brandon says:

Judging by the other comments here, I seem to be the only person who actually enjoyed it and am looking forward to next season. Bring on the House.

37. Sharona says:

Wow, Shore, thanks for giving all the jerks who feel that they have the right to keep their exes from moving on someone to look up to!

38. maggie says:

The idea of a performance artist challenging House was interesting. Having House and Cuddy some to a resolution of their relationship was a good idea, just not the way they did it. Having House drive his car into Cuddy’s house was stupid. Not having House or anyone in Cuddy’s house get hurt was not realistic. Yet they had Wilson, who wasn’t in the car or house, get hurt. The end with House on a beach was a big yawn. It doesn’t even make sense that he was able to get there. The ending was not shocking at all, just dumb. I love “House” and always expect so much from the show. But lately, it’s been letting me down. Especially this season finale. Honestly, this is the first “House” season finale that did NOT make me feel like I couldn’t wait for next season.
    Ask David Shore if House is going to be back in the Mental Hospital next year?

39. CJ says:

CANCEL House and resurrect The Chicago Code!

40. ggny says:

first time watching House in awhile(nothing else on and promo’s looked good) and this episode made me remember why i stopped watching…It was just horrible and that shocking thing no one would ever see coming ive been reading about all week was just dumb and a huge let down…But atleast i know now i wont be picking up the House season i missed on DVD and it wont be back on my DVR next season

41. tanya says:

That was the worst episode of television I’ve ever seen, they really suck , what happend with house writers, seriusly this was cuddy last episode??? and what kind of season final was that ??? it really suck

• Emgee says:

“That was the worst episode of television I’ve ever seen”

Apparently you’ve never watched Two and a Half Men.

42. Jamie says:

Some inconsistencies- the night scene at the beginning and the crash during the day. The new-guy in Cuddy’s house barely after they meet (that day?).

I wonder if this is House’s “take” on the performance art theme…. It wasn’t what it seemed…

• Jake says:

Really? Have you ever been exposed to a real police scene at all? They take HOURS.

It’s perfectly plausible that it was broad daylight when House crashed the car, and hours later the cops were still on the scene.

• Bill Dauphin says:

But is it plausible that they took so long to arrive in the first place that House was able to make his escape on foot? On *one* foot? Plus, as Mat wonders, why an ambulance, when it appeared the only injury was a sprained wrist on Wilson’s part? The more I think about it, the more convinced I am there’s some sort of disconnect between reality and what we saw.

• Mat says:

And why did they need an ambulance, when they seemed fine at the end?

• Tia Dennis says:

It’s standard procedure in cases like that. Cops definitely go by the “better safe than sorry” code, you know? The second they heard some nut job ran a car into the front of a house, they would send an ambulance just in case…

• Lois says:

They were having dinner, so even though it was daylight it was late in the day. By the time the police finished questioning everyone it could easily have been dark.

I had more of a problem that a disabled man could walk fast enough to get away from the police. How did he get to the airport? Does he carry money and a passport with him? Having House get away made a stupid plotline into a show killing moment.

I still loved this show right up till this episode. But I’m not sure I want to watch next season.

43. Ligia says:

This is my last House episode. A show that I used to love. SAD!

44. lorenz says:

that really was a garbage episode ever and this was from house ?? it really was a very very bad season finale EVER!!

45. any says:

what happend with house writers????

46. Matt says:

I want to know why they needed an ambulance, both Wilson and Cuddy, when after House crashed his car, they both seemed unhurt, and not in serious shock. They first few minutes made it seem he blew the house up. Overall.. boo

• Lois says:

I don’t understand how House could have crashed his car into Cuddy’s house and not gotten injured. He walked away with not even a scratch.

47. patrick says:

i’m done with the show they really dissapointed me, in every aspect. the episode suck the end to final and i think is a big mistake killing cuddy character it was one of the most better thing from this episode

48. Sam says:

I got to say that I really enjoyed this episode. I thought it was a GREAT season finale. I do agree that House has gone off course from what made me fall in love with the show, but I’ve come to accept what the show is now. I do think that this was very on character for House, and I was shocked at what happened (although I knew what he was gonna do as soon as he turned the car around). When Rachel told Taub she was pregnant, I thought that was amazing, and I absolutely did not see that coming. I am sad that LE is leaving and I don’t think it will be the same show without her and next season probably will be the last but I thought this was a very good penultimate season finale.

49. MissPepper says:

Totally cool with it. Cuddy has this unattainable standard for the man she wants, which she twists into matching the complicated guy House is, and then when she doesn’t like it, she annihilates him. She WANTS to have her job and her kid. Maybe if other people stopped pressuring her to also have a man…..
    I was so happy that House finally told the world that he was pissed – it’s like a really cool demonstrative way to admit that he can be hurt. In a normal person that would be “psycho”, but he’s House. He’s gotten free passes for being extreme before, why are people so surprised that the writers would choose that avenue to show us now? Bye Cuddy, I was tired of your sad-face anyway.

RSL, please stick around?

50. fernanda says:

i don’t like tonight episode i think wasthe worst episode from this season , the only thing that was valius in this episode was house and cuddy interaction it was priceless, how can denied that???