First Look: Torchwood: Miracle Day Trailer

So this is what happens when Torchwood comes into contact with a big pile of cash.

No disrespect to our friends across the pond, but the upcoming fourth chapter in the adventures of Captain Jack and Co. — the first one featuring both a U.S. setting (Los Angeles) and distribution partner (Starz, part of a co-production deal with BBC Worldwide) — looks like a (couple) million bucks.

First Look: Check Out The Provocative New Torchwood Poster

But don’t take our word for it. Check out the expensive-looking new trailer for Torchwood: Miracle Day (premiering July 8th) that just made its way onto the Inter Webs and see for yourself.

Loading video...

Comments (52)

• Video not working….

Comment by Dominic – May 23, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Worked fine for me (US here)

Comment by MiTYH – May 23, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No problem here either , located in CA.
      As for the Trailer and big budget , sort of reminds me of Children of Earth which also had the feel of a much larger budget.

I think it looks nice , but with both Dr Who and Torchwood having a US influence this year it does beg the question what do those in the UK think of the changes.

Comment by Joseph – May 23, 2011 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this is brilliant thank you very much for puting this on uk tv it is brilliant I have missed is so much

Comment by lois martlew – July 16, 2011 02:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *spoilers from the past few seasons of Torchwood ahead*

I can’t wait for the series, though I am entering it with a bit of caution (not just because of the UK/US switch of control). Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for more Torchwood and I’ll definitely be watching this… but this plot takes away the one thing (well, 2nd if you count that he’s from the future) that made Jack unique — his inability to die. It’ll be interesting to see how he, and everyone else, reacts to this.

Comment by MiTYH – May 23, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Way too americanized, hopefully they are just playing that side up as it’s the american trailer, as Children of Earth was amazing and I was hoping for more of the same with Miracle Day.

Comment by Ben – May 23, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Embedding this video is disabled by its owner.
    Dang..

Comment by RJ – May 23, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a HUGE fan of Torchwood, but IDK, the glossiness is kind of turning me off. I don’t want to see high tech effects. Not a fan of ‘em.I want character and story. So, might sample and then cancel Starz, as their productions so far have not impressed me.

Comment by Kathy – May 23, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freaking. Awesome.

Comment by Irish – May 23, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seconded.

Comment by Natalie – May 23, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thirded…it looks fanfrakingtastic!

Comment by BubbaTim – May 24, 2011 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know if BBC-America plans on broadcasting as well or is this strictly avail to Starz customers??

Comment by Mykey716 – May 23, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • BBCA didn’t have any hand in producing this AFAIK. So as far as we know – it won’t be on BBCA in the near term. There is hope that like Spartacus, it will be available on Netflix after it’s on Starz. Whether that means a few days, or a few weeks delay, no one knows.

Comment by znachki – May 23, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Another major media site reported it’s on a 90 day delay.

Comment by Leithen – May 23, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, that’s just pretty. Definitely see a larger budget involved, although I hope it doesn’t lose its “British” feeling. Big fan of Dr. Who and Torchwood. Really glad Dish Network is giving away Starz for the year because I’m already paying for HBO for Game of Thrones.

Comment by Marlex – May 23, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huge fan of the series, and looking forward to the next installment. Of course it looks more American and big and glitzy and possibly not taking advantage of its British roots enough, but I’ve faith in it nonetheless. I may change my mind, but for now, Torchwood: Miracle Day is my must-watch series of the summer.

Comment by Allison – May 23, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. This looks pretty awesome. :D I thought after (SPOILERS)
    Ianto died that I wouldn’t be interested in this anymore, or that going over to the U.S. would somehow make the show… bland… But hell to the no :D It looks brilliant. And Lauren Ambrose! She looks fabulous in this.
    I’m pleased. I hope the actual fourth series doesn’t disappoint, however.

Comment by Alex – May 23, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t it mentioned previously that this would be available on Netflix?

Comment by Jackie – May 23, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, but on a three month delay. If you want to see it when it airs, you have to get Starz.

Comment by Leithen – May 23, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched the trailer cos I’m on my iPod right now, but I’m really glad Torchwood is continuing. I just hope we don’t have to wait ages for it to air in the UK cos it is our show. E4 has only just started showing “coming soon” trailers for the last season of Smallville! So as long as I don’t have to wait ridiculous amounts of time to see it, I’m fine.

Comment by Tasia – May 23, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • from what I understand, both sides get it at the same time, like the current season of Doctor Who

Comment by me – May 23, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DUUUUUDE !!!! WHERE’S THE TRAILER !!! DON’T FUDGE WITH MEEEE !!!!

Comment by Lilu2Go – May 23, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Embedding this video is disabled by its owner.

Comment by Michael Sacal – May 23, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh…. Gwen got hair & makeup! Snazzy! And, Capt Jack looks drool-worthy, as usual. Yum.

Comment by loofah – May 23, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I may miss the hell out of my Ianto, but Eve Myles looks fabulous.
    Now can’t they Miracle Gareth David-Lloyd back into the cast?

Comment by John Berggren – May 23, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes please. I want Ianto back.

Comment by Jen – May 23, 2011 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • not seen here in Toronto, either…

Comment by Daniel – May 23, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “I’m Welsh.” *smack!*
    AWESOME.

Comment by Allison – May 23, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How much do you want to bet that Russell T. Davis wrote that line?

Comment by znachki – May 23, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love it!!

Comment by laura – May 23, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Embedding this video is disabled by its owner. :((((((((

Comment by Andrea – May 23, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CAN’T WAIT. It’s a bit Americanized and much bigger-budget, but I love how the trailer ends with Gwen’s “I’m Welsh,” and the traditional Torchwood theme, as if to remind everyone that this is still essentially the Torchwood we know and love. I was a little skeptical about the premise but it’s looking pretty epic. July, come sooner!

Comment by Ann – May 23, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The TV gods have answered and it’s going to be amazing, It’s been too long without Torchwood. So glad we have Starz so I won’t miss this. Come already July get here asap. YES it’s back!!!

Comment by Scott – May 23, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s the link to the video on YouTube.

But it’s geo-filtered. It will only work from within the US.

Comment by Lambsilencer – May 23, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s the direct link to the video on YouTube:

But it’s geo-filtered, and can only be watched from within the US.

Comment by Lambsilencer – May 23, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A member of the facebook group Torchwood 4 fans has managed to get the trailer if you can’t see it outside of the US ;)

Comment by Malko – May 23, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks Fabulous !
    Can’t wait !

Comment by Laurel – May 23, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It hurt my heart to not hear Ianto’s name. But it does look interesting. I won’t be able to watch, unfortunately, unless I get really lucky.

Comment by honestly – May 23, 2011 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s the point of shooting a gun if no one dies?

Comment by Midori – May 23, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You ever try to run while shot? Not easy. Just because you can’t die doesn’t meant you can’t be incapacitated.

Comment by Leithen – May 23, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMFG it looks amazing! Gwen looks great. Bill Pullman! Girl from Dollhouse! And Captain Jack!!! I can’t wait!

Comment by Goat Girl – May 23, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Things I’m interested in in this version of Torchwood:

1) Barrowman – This is his chance to make a name on this side of the pond. From what I’ve read in the UK press, they don’t consider him a great actor — we’ll see if he holds his own with Phifer and Pullman.

2) Will there be any mention of the parent show, Doctor Who? Any way to explain Harkness’s inability to die if you don’t talk about the Doctor? (I still kind of geek out on the fact that “Torchwood” is an anagram of “Doctor Who”.)

3) Will it retain the signature Torchwood bleakness? If you’ve watched Children of Earth, you know, this isn’t happy, happy fun time show.

4)Starz is somewhat “adult” — see Spartacus. Will Torchwood push that envelope further than they have in the past?

Comment by Leithen – May 23, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In Children of Earth they showed Jack’s penis, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they upped the nudity a bit for Starz and editted it down for BBC

Comment by David – May 23, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wait! What? They did? Excuse me, I must go order the DVD’s right now…

Comment by Stella – May 24, 2011 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t worry about availability. If Starz hasn’t arranged simultaneous showing in the UK and the rest of the planet, fans will be posting it to BitTorrent and Usenet within moments of the showing, just like with Doctor Who. BBC got smart and let BBCA carry it the same night.

Comment by Michael – May 23, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Ianto. :-/

Comment by Ace – May 23, 2011 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I has been waiting for this since Children.
    Yes it look brighter but there is still the Torchwood we know and love in there, did you not see Gwen shooting a gun while holding on to her baby.
    I’m sure this show will make suffering through desperate housewives just to see Jack back on my tv worth it.
    I need it to be July now!

Comment by bluebonnetbelle – May 24, 2011 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post