Breaking: Showtime Axes United States of Tara, Renews Nurse Jackie For Fourth Season

Get More: Cancellations, News, Scoop

Showtime’s primetime lineup is losing some of its personality: The pay cabler has canceled United States of Tara.

A Showtime rep confirms to TVLine that the Emmy winning dramedy’s current third season — set to conclude on June 20 — will be its last.

On the bright side, the cable net has renewed Edie Falco’s Nurse Jackie for a fourth season.

Tara, which netted leading lady Toni Collette numerous accolades including an Emmy and a Golden Globe, has been averaging just north of 300K viewers a week this season — down from 560K for Season 2. By comparison, Jackie has been attracting 762K viewers.

Are you sad to see Tara go, or has the show pretty much run its course? And does the Jackie pickup cushion some of the blow? Hit the comments!

Comments (150)

• Sadness. USOT was such an awesome, totally original and entertaining show. I think the only reason NJ has an edge in the ratings is because people love shows set in hospitals. Go figure. I will miss Tara very much. Showtime, you SUCK.

Comment by Gabriel Ward – June 29, 2011 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Showtime is making a huge mistake with this one. They half-assed the finale of the L-word, and now axe Tara?! I’m gonna have to cancel my subscription. Tara had heart, and depicted a family that sticks together through all the BS life hands you. God forbid we keep a show like that on the air…

Comment by jay – July 2, 2011 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This season sucked, way to difficult to follow and I really stopped caring around episode 5. The writers screwed the pooch because this was a great show in it’s first two seasons.

Comment by Rick – July 4, 2011 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darn U.S. of Tara was my favorite Showtime show lots of good acting and great dark comedy:) I’m SHOCKED that its cancelled so early:(

Comment by april – July 6, 2011 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the best shows out there! Showtime should have tried a little harder!

Comment by Speechless – July 10, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • US of Tara is so so awesome! So creative an so keeps you on the edge of your seat. Laughed an cried. Showtime is crazy to cancel. Sucks so bad!

Comment by Deb – July 11, 2011 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was a huge fan of Tara but I see Nurse Jackie as topping it, it definitely cushions any blow!

Comment by Rania – July 12, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh man! I am sooo sorry to see Tara go. The show is so well cast. Love them all. Somebody else pick up this show!!!!!

Comment by Lana M – July 14, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love US of Tara! Im so sad to see it go!! I think this is a big mistake!!

Comment by Beth – October 17, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooooo!! Why not make money off international networks! Aussies would love this show, we love Toni Collette!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Kel – December 16, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am UPSET! I didn’t know that United States of Tara was cancelled last year and I have been looking SO forward to it. It was SO good and would not miss any of the series. RATS!

Comment by Betty Todd – March 27, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Tara and Jackie , it sucks when showtime does this to some great shows and we don’t get closure, I’m so over showtime , just like they did with Huff another amazing show that only lasted 2 seasons. I’m going to miss Tara. Good bye showtime I guess I’ll just watch shows on netflix.

Comment by ken – April 4, 2012 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely loved US of Tara and Toni Collette was amazing. Loved all of the supporting characters too. Wish they could have wrapped it up more. Super sad to see that go.

Comment by Tiffany – April 7, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • United States Of Tara is a Great show. It could have had tighter writing in the end. But that said they had many wonderful mind expanding moments!;D Just watched final season last night on DVD… <3

Comment by Tina Benez – July 2, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • United States of Tara was one of the only reasons I kept Showtime after the 3 free months! They are lucky they have Shameless, otherwise I’d be cancelling my subscription!

Comment by Danielle – November 4, 2012 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My family and I are so sad that U.S of Tara is over. It is so thought provoking and entertaining. I would love for another channel to pick it up.

Comment by Fisher – February 18, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post