Breaking: Showtime Axes United States of Tara, Renews Nurse Jackie For Fourth Season

Get More: Cancellations, News, Scoop

Showtime’s primetime lineup is losing some of its personality: The pay cabler has canceled United States of Tara.

A Showtime rep confirms to TVLine that the Emmy winning dramedy’s current third season — set to conclude on June 20 — will be its last.

On the bright side, the cable net has renewed Edie Falco’s Nurse Jackie for a fourth season.

Tara, which netted leading lady Toni Collette numerous accolades including an Emmy and a Golden Globe, has been averaging just north of 300K viewers a week this season — down from 560K for Season 2. By comparison, Jackie has been attracting 762K viewers.

Are you sad to see Tara go, or has the show pretty much run its course? And does the Jackie pickup cushion some of the blow? Hit the comments!

Comments (150)

• This makes me really sad. I love United States Of Tara. I hope there is some closure at the end of this season at least,

Comment by Sarah S – May 23, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the worst news ever!! Tara is the only show that i watch religiously every week!! Jackie is really good- but Tara is so so much better!!
    I hate you right now showtime- and will be cancelling my membership with you. Why bother paying to watch one show when i can get the season on DVD when its over?

Comment by Kelly Gilman – May 23, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe that about Tara!! I love that show. IT BETTER HAVE ONE HELL OF AN ENDING!!!!

Comment by Chris – May 23, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry but I stopped watching Nurse Jackie after the second show this season. It was great but this season it has definitely jumped the shark. What a snooze it became. Such a shame as Edie Falco is the best. She deserves better than this crap.

Comment by Paulysj – May 23, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Tara & Jackie. I’m tired of watching tv shows that just get cancelled without any sort of real conclusion. Makes me not want to try any new shows anymore

Comment by Mjw – May 23, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, USoT was the only reason I actually kept Showtime. Guess I know when I will be cancelling it!

Comment by Jenn – May 23, 2011 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, if we do not get some resolution/closure regarding the alters, including the details of what caused the disorder in the first place AND exactly how many alters there are in total, I’m going to be PISSED! ARGHHHHH

Comment by ImStillToni – May 23, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sad to hear about the US of Tara. It’s one of my favorite shows and besides Dexter is the only one I watch on the channel. Is there anything fans can do to change Showtunes mind?!

Comment by Christie – May 23, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two good Aussie actresses out of work? Maybe Toni Collette & Rachel Griffiths could do something together.

Comment by Summer Bay – May 23, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am GUTTED about them axing Tara – this show just keeps getting better, this season especially has been BRILLIANT with the addition of Eddie Izzard! If I don’t get a satisfactory conclusion to this series (and lets face it, the concept was never one for longevity – she was either going to get better or the show would have fizzled out over time), I am going to be so bitterly, BITTERLY disappointed! Toni is a BRILLIANT actress, I love all the supporting characters… and bloody hell, just give us a decent conclusion PLEASE, it’s all I ask!!!

Comment by Very very sad!!! – May 23, 2011 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • completely agree. i was hoping for a 4th season though. i feel like they could’ve wrapped things up nicely that way.

Comment by Deek – May 24, 2011 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad!!! I love both but Tara is my fave :(

Comment by Scotti o – May 23, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And how is weeds still on??? It has sucked for atleast 2 years

Comment by Scotti o – May 23, 2011 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • United States of Tara has had a different season but it keeps getting better! Im so sad to see it go. It was just a different show but I understand their decision. I just wanna know what happens to all the characters since there wont be a real series finale =(

Comment by S – May 23, 2011 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please sign this petition to help save the show!

Comment by Robert – May 24, 2011 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer.

Comment by Sarabi – May 24, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awful news. My wife and I LOVE this show, its our Monday night ritual. Even watched it on our iPad while traveling so we didn’t miss a week. Izzard should win an emmy for his guest work. This season has been fantastic. WHEELS FOREVER!

Comment by Scott – May 24, 2011 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why do people mention their wife or husband? They aren’t here to speak. We WANT your point of view, not your wife’s.

Comment by Res – June 6, 2011 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot believe it. I hope this is a misunderstanding. I personally find U.S of Tara more interesting than Nurse Jackie, that’s is why I am so confused to find out that they are canceling U.S of Tara.

Comment by Ana – May 24, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am heartbroken!! No more Tara! EVERYONE in that show is incredible! :( :( :(

Comment by Ashley – May 24, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • personally, i watch and like both these shows but, honestly, tara is getting chaotic. story is getting messy and 3rd season simply sucks. nevertheless, i am sad that this is the last season. i must say, that recently, although tara’s story is getting lame, i longed to watch tara rather than jackie. also, i am sure i will miss tara, but on the other hand i think that it is better to end this show now than prolong it endlessly like lost.

Comment by Evi – May 24, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad about this! I love both shows so it’s exciting that Nurse Jackie will be back but I LOVE US OF TARA!!!! Toni Collette is AMAZING in this role… Such a shame…

Comment by Brina – May 25, 2011 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • there is more to nurse jackie than there should be for more

Comment by ruby – May 26, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally dont like Nurse Jackie, and am planning on cancelling my subscription to Showtime over the loss of United States of Tara. I have Borderline Personality Disorder, and it was great having a show about a woman with mental illness that did not increase stigma. I watch new episodes several times a week, I call them my depression helpers, I literally started to cry when I heard it was cancelled.

Comment by Gypsy – May 26, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Awwww. That makes me really sad.

Comment by Res – June 6, 2011 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this sucks so much. I hate showtime, I hope the producer od the shows get some other channel to air it

Comment by RQ – May 28, 2011 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So mad about this! I love Tara & Jackie equally. Having one without the other isn’t going to feel right. :(

Comment by Kayla – June 3, 2011 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was just informed of this news last night, and when I woke up this morning I was overcome with a deep sense of loss. It’s like losing your childhood blanket or stuffed animal. I don’t know about you all, but this show has inspired my sister and I to become so much closer to one another and revealed how to relate to eachother more. My family was reflected within every line uttered between each character and I would somehow feel less alone. I will forever have an imprint of this show in my life, however I think I’m going to let out this anger and sadness right now, so goodbye. :/

Comment by Kyle J – June 4, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • US of tara is a much better show, we need at least one more season!

Comment by Chris – June 7, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSED OFF! IM SORRY SHOWTIME BUT THAT DOES IT! IM CANCELLING YOU! I LOVE LOVE LOVE US OF TARA! I HAVE ENJOYED WATCHING EACH SEASON! I GUESS ILL HAVE TO FIND SHOWS ON HBO! THE ONLY REASON I START WATCHING WEEDS, THE BIG C, OR NURSE JACKIE WAS BECAUSE OF US OF TARA! THIS SUCKS BIG TIME!

Comment by Preston – June 8, 2011 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just can’t believe it, I watch both shows and Nurse Jackie is good but USOT is great. Toni Colette is unbelieveably in this role acting at it’s best. I’m very sad to see it go, one more season with a proper ending would have been nice but that’s Showtime for you. HBO doesn’t end series that way. I will get rid of Showtime once the series is ended.

Comment by Pamela – June 8, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t belive U.S of Tara is being canceled!
    It’s my absolute favorite show, my whole family and many of my friends watch it to. :(

Comment by Haylea – June 8, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is BULLS**T!! U.S. of Tara is a great show. Nurse Jackie is great as well. But, I would not trade one for the other. I like them to be one AFTER the other. I think its not a problem of the show, but the viewers. It is a fact that with all the technology that is available at the fingertips of all, people’s attention spans have been reduced to nano seconds. The show still holds its magic, its the imagination of the people that has lost its power.

Comment by Travpel – June 8, 2011 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe I just found out while watching the latest episode, I will miss the show but happy nurse Jackie is still around. I always thought these two shows would last at least 5yrs, oh well

Comment by Tia B – June 8, 2011 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Frankly, Tara starting getting ridiculous in the middle of the first season. Toni Collette is a great actress but the story line was a little over the top. Nurse Jackie has become one of my favorites. I would love to see it become an hour long show though. 30 minutes just isn’t enough!

Comment by Kelley M – June 9, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Horrible News. I look forward to Tara and her alters. Please give it a second chance.

Comment by Heidi King – June 9, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • US of Tara is one of my top 5 favorite shows. I hate when a show is cancelled abruptly. If I invest my entertainment time in a show I expect it to last more than a few seasons-especially when cable seasons have fewer episodes per season. I dropped Showtime after they cancelled Huff-another favortie. I will drop Showtime again in protest of this decision. If ratings fell there are ways to bring them up-cancelling the show is a slap in the face to loyal viewers.

Comment by Kim – June 9, 2011 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really, really hope this is a rumor. Absolutely love US of Tara and look forward to it each week. Please tell me you are not canceling one of the best written and acted shows on tv today. This show is brilliant!

Comment by Lisa – June 10, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • U.S. of Tara was getting to be way over the top. What is with Max? Can he really care about the future and well being of his children when the constant emotional status of Tara is permitted to ruin everyone’s life and say – “I’m getting better” – and then things are supposed to be okay! She just about kills the shrink, took off as the alter-pervert with Wheels, wanted to run over her pregnant sister and Neil is finally the one that has to say “enough is enough”. Those kids are going to be messed up forever and all Max can do is say to Marshall “is that what you think our lives are all about?”. I know love is blind but Max needs to grow some real b*lls!

Comment by Carol – June 13, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love U.S. of Tara and I can’t believe the show is being dropped!

Comment by Tina – June 13, 2011 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOO This is terrible news. US of Tara is one of my favorite shows. Toni Collete is one of the best actressess around. She is very underrated.
    I looked forward to watching US of Tara and Nurse Jackie. Ughh

Comment by Jchambers – June 17, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sorry to see Tara go, I love it. My biggest regret is that we will not get any closure. I want to see her whole and healthy again. I can’t believe they are going to keep The Borgia’s going. I could not get into that show, but the young male audience loves the gratuitous sex and violence and that’s what they are all aiming for. I thought it was a mini series and not a continuing one…bah humbug. I might as well cancel cable tv now since I watch so little of it and refuse the reality garbage out there.

Comment by Maureen – June 20, 2011 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boooooooooo! So not happy about this. Down right mad actually. What kind of ending was that? Bring Tara back! Bring Tara back!

Comment by Ajane – June 20, 2011 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did u hear tht? A little piece of my heart just broke. I come frm a family riddled w/mental illnesses so Tara brought some grt perspectives on many things. I thought the characters were awesome. I do feel this season wasn’t up 2 par w/the previous ones but I figured the writers wld come stronger next season. I honestly only kept Showtime for Tara. It was good while it lasted…

Comment by Nalynn – June 20, 2011 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What B.S.!! how could you axe such a unique and fabulous show!!?? Finally there was something real, raw, powerful, sad, funny and engaging on T.V. And now, it’s gone. What a slap in the face to Toni and TARA and all of her alters that she performed so realistically!!! I’m so sad to see something so brilliant just get kicked to the curb. They screwed up on this one….BIG TIME!!!!

Comment by Demi Mills – June 21, 2011 02:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will cancel showtime over this. I am soooo disappointed. US of tara is one of their best shows, I have no idea why they even considered canceling it. I will never in my lifetime subscribe to showetime again.

Comment by Guillermina – June 21, 2011 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cancel my showtime immediately. I will switch to HBO, the honeymoon is over with swhowtime.
    They suck ass after axing Tara for no reason whatsoever. Tara and Jackie both were monday night rituals, and I can’t believe that they cancel Tara without even seeing the results of what happened to her in Boston. You suck, showtime. Cancel my subscription AT ONCE

Comment by Patsy – June 21, 2011 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooooo. I loved that show! She did an amazing job with all the characters & I loved to see how she would develop new ones. Very sad to see it go. I agree with a lot of viewers that it was better than Nurse Jackie. Very odd that the ratings were that different. I think I was over Nurse Jackie last season.

Comment by Trica – June 22, 2011 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad to see this show end. It was one of my favorites and watched it faithfully every week. Boo for showtime!

Comment by Maris – June 22, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMGGG!!! R U fn serious??? U cancel Tara but KEEP Nurse Jackie??? are u kiddn me? Im so upset right now… They cant just leave us hanging like that. I vote for reinstatement IMMEDIATELY!!!!

Comment by Suga – June 25, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love united states of tara.. more than nurse jackie. Its so much more interesting and u never know what’s going to happen.. I just can’t believe nurse jackie is going to last longer than UST. I could live without nurse jackie but I’m kinda pist bc I wanted to know what was going to happen. I hate when shows leave u hangn.

Comment by brooke – June 26, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so disappointed in this news. Never would have guessed that Jackie out rated Tara, Jackie is mostly the same week after week while Tara is screaming in the face of the traditional series. I only hope another network picks it up.

Comment by Ebeth – June 27, 2011 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would they cancell both shows?! I think they are making a big mistake, looks like a lot people are not happy with this decision, I’m disapointed.

Comment by carol haskell – June 27, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post