Breaking: Showtime Axes United States of Tara, Renews Nurse Jackie For Fourth Season

Showtime’s primetime lineup is losing some of its personality: The pay cabler has canceled United States of Tara.

A Showtime rep confirms to TVLine that the Emmy winning dramedy’s current third season — set to conclude on June 20 — will be its last.

On the bright side, the cable net has renewed Edie Falco’s Nurse Jackie for a fourth season.

Tara, which netted leading lady Toni Collette numerous accolades including an Emmy and a Golden Globe, has been averaging just north of 300K viewers a week this season — down from 560K for Season 2. By comparison, Jackie has been attracting 762K viewers.

Are you sad to see Tara go, or has the show pretty much run its course? And does the Jackie pickup cushion some of the blow? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Scoop

1. Sarah S says:

This makes me really sad. I love United States Of Tara. I hope there is some closure at the end of this season at least,

2. Kelly Gilman says:

This is the worst news ever!! Tara is the only show that i watch religiously every week!! Jackie is really good- but Tara is so so much better!!
    I hate you right now showtime- and will be cancelling my membership with you. Why bother paying to watch one show when i can get the season on DVD when its over?

3. Chris says:

I can’t believe that about Tara!! I love that show. IT BETTER HAVE ONE HELL OF AN ENDING!!!!

4. Paulysj says:

Sorry but I stopped watching Nurse Jackie after the second show this season. It was great but this season it has definitely jumped the shark. What a snooze it became. Such a shame as Edie Falco is the best. She deserves better than this crap.

5. Mjw says:

Love Tara & Jackie. I’m tired of watching tv shows that just get cancelled without any sort of real conclusion. Makes me not want to try any new shows anymore

6. Jenn says:

Well, USoT was the only reason I actually kept Showtime. Guess I know when I will be cancelling it!

7. ImStillToni says:

Seriously, if we do not get some resolution/closure regarding the alters, including the details of what caused the disorder in the first place AND exactly how many alters there are in total, I’m going to be PISSED! ARGHHHHH

8. Christie says:

I am so sad to hear about the US of Tara. It’s one of my favorite shows and besides Dexter is the only one I watch on the channel. Is there anything fans can do to change Showtunes mind?!

9. Summer Bay says:

Two good Aussie actresses out of work? Maybe Toni Collette & Rachel Griffiths could do something together.

10. Very very sad!!! says:

I am GUTTED about them axing Tara – this show just keeps getting better, this season especially has been BRILLIANT with the addition of Eddie Izzard! If I don’t get a satisfactory conclusion to this series (and lets face it, the concept was never one for longevity – she was either going to get better or the show would have fizzled out over time), I am going to be so bitterly, BITTERLY disappointed! Toni is a BRILLIANT actress, I love all the supporting characters… and bloody hell, just give us a decent conclusion PLEASE, it’s all I ask!!!

• Deek says:

completely agree. i was hoping for a 4th season though. i feel like they could’ve wrapped things up nicely that way.

11. Scotti o says:

So sad!!! I love both but Tara is my fave :(

12. Scotti o says:

And how is weeds still on??? It has sucked for atleast 2 years

13. S says:

United States of Tara has had a different season but it keeps getting better! Im so sad to see it go. It was just a different show but I understand their decision. I just wanna know what happens to all the characters since there wont be a real series finale =(

14. Robert says:

Please sign this petition to help save the show!

15. Sarabi says:

Bummer.

16. Scott says:

Awful news. My wife and I LOVE this show, its our Monday night ritual. Even watched it on our iPad while traveling so we didn’t miss a week. Izzard should win an emmy for his guest work. This season has been fantastic. WHEELS FOREVER!

• Res says:

Why do people mention their wife or husband? They aren’t here to speak. We WANT your point of view, not your wife’s.

17. Ana says:

I cannot believe it. I hope this is a misunderstanding. I personally find U.S of Tara more interesting than Nurse Jackie, that’s is why I am so confused to find out that they are canceling U.S of Tara.

18. Ashley says:

I am heartbroken!! No more Tara! EVERYONE in that show is incredible! :( :( :(

19. Evi says:

personally, i watch and like both these shows but, honestly, tara is getting chaotic. story is getting messy and 3rd season simply sucks. nevertheless, i am sad that this is the last season. i must say, that recently, although tara’s story is getting lame, i longed to watch tara rather than jackie. also, i am sure i will miss tara, but on the other hand i think that it is better to end this show now than prolong it endlessly like lost.

20. Brina says:

So sad about this! I love both shows so it’s exciting that Nurse Jackie will be back but I LOVE US OF TARA!!!! Toni Collette is AMAZING in this role… Such a shame…

21. ruby says:

there is more to nurse jackie than there should be for more

22. Gypsy says:

I personally dont like Nurse Jackie, and am planning on cancelling my subscription to Showtime over the loss of United States of Tara. I have Borderline Personality Disorder, and it was great having a show about a woman with mental illness that did not increase stigma. I watch new episodes several times a week, I call them my depression helpers, I literally started to cry when I heard it was cancelled.

23. RQ says:

this sucks so much. I hate showtime, I hope the producer od the shows get some other channel to air it

24. Kayla says:

So mad about this! I love Tara & Jackie equally. Having one without the other isn’t going to feel right. :(

25. Kyle J says:

I was just informed of this news last night, and when I woke up this morning I was overcome with a deep sense of loss. It’s like losing your childhood blanket or stuffed animal. I don’t know about you all, but this show has inspired my sister and I to become so much closer to one another and revealed how to relate to eachother more. My family was reflected within every line uttered between each character and I would somehow feel less alone. I will forever have an imprint of this show in my life, however I think I’m going to let out this anger and sadness right now, so goodbye. :/

26. Chris says:

US of tara is a much better show, we need at least one more season!

27. Preston says:

PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSED OFF! IM SORRY SHOWTIME BUT THAT DOES IT! IM CANCELLING YOU! I LOVE LOVE LOVE US OF TARA! I HAVE ENJOYED WATCHING EACH SEASON! I GUESS ILL HAVE TO FIND SHOWS ON HBO! THE ONLY REASON I START WATCHING WEEDS, THE BIG C, OR NURSE JACKIE WAS BECAUSE OF US OF TARA! THIS SUCKS BIG TIME!

28. Pamela says:

I just can’t believe it, I watch both shows and Nurse Jackie is good but USOT is great. Toni Colette is unbelieveably in this role acting at it’s best. I’m very sad to see it go, one more season with a proper ending would have been nice but that’s Showtime for you. HBO doesn’t end series that way. I will get rid of Showtime once the series is ended.

29. Haylea says:

I can’t belive U.S of Tara is being canceled!
    It’s my absolute favorite show, my whole family and many of my friends watch it to.

30. Travpel says:

This is BULLS**T!! U.S. of Tara is a great show. Nurse Jackie is great as well. But, I would not trade one for the other. I like them to be one AFTER the other. I think its not a problem of the show, but the viewers. It is a fact that with all the technology that is available at the fingertips of all, people’s attention spans have been reduced to nano seconds. The show still holds its magic, its the imagination of the people that has lost its power.

31. Tia B says:

I can’t believe I just found out while watching the latest episode, I will miss the show but happy nurse Jackie is still around. I always thought these two shows would last at least 5yrs, oh well

32. Kelley M says:

Frankly, Tara starting getting ridiculous in the middle of the first season. Toni Collette is a great actress but the story line was a little over the top. Nurse Jackie has become one of my favorites. I would love to see it become an hour long show though. 30 minutes just isn’t enough!

33. Heidi King says:

Horrible News. I look forward to Tara and her alters. Please give it a second chance.

34. Kim says:

US of Tara is one of my top 5 favorite shows. I hate when a show is cancelled abruptly. If I invest my entertainment time in a show I expect it to last more than a few seasons-especially when cable seasons have fewer episodes per season. I dropped Showtime after they cancelled Huff-another favortie. I will drop Showtime again in protest of this decision. If ratings fell there are ways to bring them up-cancelling the show is a slap in the face to loyal viewers.

35. Lisa says:

I really, really hope this is a rumor. Absolutely love US of Tara and look forward to it each week. Please tell me you are not canceling one of the best written and acted shows on tv today. This show is brilliant!

36. Carol says:

U.S. of Tara was getting to be way over the top. What is with Max? Can he really care about the future and well being of his children when the constant emotional status of Tara is permitted to ruin everyone’s life and say – “I’m getting better” – and then things are supposed to be okay! She just about kills the shrink, took off as the alter-pervert with Wheels, wanted to run over her pregnant sister and Neil is finally the one that has to say “enough is enough”. Those kids are going to be messed up forever and all Max can do is say to Marshall “is that what you think our lives are all about?”. I know love is blind but Max needs to grow some real b*lls!

37. Tina says:

I love U.S. of Tara and I can’t believe the show is being dropped!

38. Jchambers says:

NOOO This is terrible news. US of Tara is one of my favorite shows. Toni Collete is one of the best actressess around. She is very underrated.
    I looked forward to watching US of Tara and Nurse Jackie. Ughh

39. Maureen says:

I am so sorry to see Tara go, I love it. My biggest regret is that we will not get any closure. I want to see her whole and healthy again. I can’t believe they are going to keep The Borgia’s going. I could not get into that show, but the young male audience loves the gratuitous sex and violence and that’s what they are all aiming for. I thought it was a mini series and not a continuing one…bah humbug. I might as well cancel cable tv now since I watch so little of it and refuse the reality garbage out there.

40. Ajane says:

Boooooooooo! So not happy about this. Down right mad actually. What kind of ending was that? Bring Tara back! Bring Tara back!

41. Nalynn says:

Did u hear tht? A little piece of my heart just broke. I come frm a family riddled w/mental illnesses so Tara brought some grt perspectives on many things. I thought the characters were awesome. I do feel this season wasn’t up 2 par w/the previous ones but I figured the writers wld come stronger next season. I honestly only kept Showtime for Tara. It was good while it lasted…

42. Demi Mills says:

What B.S.!! how could you axe such a unique and fabulous show!!?? Finally there was something real, raw, powerful, sad, funny and engaging on T.V. And now, it’s gone. What a slap in the face to Toni and TARA and all of her alters that she performed so realistically!!! I’m so sad to see something so brilliant just get kicked to the curb. They screwed up on this one….BIG TIME!!!!

43. Guillermina says:

I will cancel showtime over this. I am soooo disappointed. US of tara is one of their best shows, I have no idea why they even considered canceling it. I will never in my lifetime subscribe to showetime again.

44. Patsy says:

Cancel my showtime immediately. I will switch to HBO, the honeymoon is over with swhowtime.
    They suck ass after axing Tara for no reason whatsoever. Tara and Jackie both were monday night rituals, and I can’t believe that they cancel Tara without even seeing the results of what happened to her in Boston. You suck, showtime. Cancel my subscription AT ONCE

45. Trica says:

Nooooooooo. I loved that show! She did an amazing job with all the characters & I loved to see how she would develop new ones. Very sad to see it go. I agree with a lot of viewers that it was better than Nurse Jackie. Very odd that the ratings were that different. I think I was over Nurse Jackie last season.

46. Maris says:

Very sad to see this show end. It was one of my favorites and watched it faithfully every week. Boo for showtime!

47. Suga says:

OMGGG!!! R U fn serious??? U cancel Tara but KEEP Nurse Jackie??? are u kiddn me? Im so upset right now… They cant just leave us hanging like that. I vote for reinstatement IMMEDIATELY!!!!

48. brooke says:

I love united states of tara.. more than nurse jackie. Its so much more interesting and u never know what’s going to happen.. I just can’t believe nurse jackie is going to last longer than UST. I could live without nurse jackie but I’m kinda pist bc I wanted to know what was going to happen. I hate when shows leave u hangn.

49. Ebeth says:

I am so disappointed in this news. Never would have guessed that Jackie out rated Tara, Jackie is mostly the same week after week while Tara is screaming in the face of the traditional series. I only hope another network picks it up.

50. carol haskell says:

Why would they cancell both shows?! I think they are making a big mistake, looks like a lot people are not happy with this decision, I’m disapointed.