Breaking: Showtime Axes United States of Tara, Renews Nurse Jackie For Fourth Season

Showtime’s primetime lineup is losing some of its personality: The pay cabler has canceled United States of Tara.

A Showtime rep confirms to TVLine that the Emmy winning dramedy’s current third season — set to conclude on June 20 — will be its last.

On the bright side, the cable net has renewed Edie Falco’s Nurse Jackie for a fourth season.

Tara, which netted leading lady Toni Collette numerous accolades including an Emmy and a Golden Globe, has been averaging just north of 300K viewers a week this season — down from 560K for Season 2. By comparison, Jackie has been attracting 762K viewers.

Are you sad to see Tara go, or has the show pretty much run its course? And does the Jackie pickup cushion some of the blow? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Scoop

1. Kathryn says:

Such bittersweet news…I love both shows

2. LA says:

WOW! I think Tara has the better narrative (between it and Nurse Jackie). I hope there is some closure at the end of this current run!

3. Rachel says:

Of the 2, United was better. Nurse Jackie was kind of unwatchable past season 1.

4. sarah says:

Bad form, Showtime, bad form.

• Rowan says:

Tara isn’t a cheap show to produce, so if the ratings are that low, they’d have a hard time justifying spending the money. It’s a cool show, but sometimes it meanders. Love the addition of Eddie Izzard, though. Of course, everything’s better it Eddie Izzard’s in it.

5. Jennie says:

Phew!! When I first saw this headline, I got worreid they axed Nurse Jackie.. I almost yelled out “Nooooooo” in slow motion at my office cubicle.. ha

6. CHERI says:

Tara has really lost me this season. I just hope they are able to wrap story lines up in a coherent way.

• Amanda says:

Agreed. I enjoyed the first two seasons, but have not cared one bit about it this season.

• DL says:

Yeah I just hope that the origin of the alters actually gets resolved. Wouldn’t be great if we’re left just not knowing.

• DL says:

Though, on the up side, perhaps this will allow John Corbett to take on a bigger presence in the next season of NBC’s Parenthood.

• Julie says:

I REALLY hope they don’t leave us hanging on the alters thing. They’ve got to wrap that up! I’m w/ you on the Parenthood thing, since thankfully that show got renewed, I would love to see him take on a bigger role there. So sad about Tara though, I love this show, the characters are played by genius actors. I’m so sad :(

7. Bee says:

WHAAAT? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i know US of tara’s ratings are in the toilet this season, but i was hoping being on showtime would mean it could edge it out for one final season. omg i hope it doesn’t end on some cliffhanger :( that would be horrible!
    i love both shows and nurse jackie’s ratings are just a tick better, but US of tara is definitely the better show this season.

8. Marcus says:

I’m a fan of both shows, but USOT always felt like it had a stronger direction. I guess the more compelling cast on Nurse Jackie was more popular.

9. Debbie M says:

Shut the front door! I was really loving Tara this season too.

• Taylor Geary says:

YES. I am going to miss this series so much. And this season was so good. I’m going to miss it, but Showtime is notorious for ending shows abruptly.

10. Matt says:

That stinks! I love both shows, and while I think USoT is the weaker of the two, I hate to see it go. The sad part is that since these seasons are filmed so far in advance (or at least I think they are), then it won’t get a chance to wrap up any loose storylines.

11. Amy says:

WHAT THE HECK?! I mean I don’t watch Nurse Jackie, but I’ve heard good things, but USoT! WHAT THE ACTUAL F*CK SHOWTIME?! Do not like.

12. Mary says:

I’m totally disgusted. United states of Tara is a great show and it’s a shame it’s getting cancelled.

13. Jeff says:

Horrible news…..I love both shows. Can’t believe they are getting rid of Tara…hopefully they told Diablo and the rest of the crew before they finished this season so we can have closure!

14. Melisa says:

Noooooo!!!! I love Tara!! Now how am I supposed to get my weekly John Corbett fix?

15. Allison says:

NOOOOO!!!! Tara is such an original show with some of the best writing and acting on TV. I have not been so upset with Showtime since they canceled “Huff” several years ago.

16. Nicotine says:

I’m split on this one. I’ve seen every episode of Nurse Jackie and it’s currently one of middling favorites on television. I’ve only seen one episode of United States of Tara (last season’s finale) and it was interesting enough to make me want to watch it this season.

As long Showtime never cancels Dexter or Californication, they’re alright with me.

• Julie says:

Oh Dexter. Tara and Dexter are in my top 5 shows.

• Megan says:

agreed. This is insane. From what I’ve seen from Nurse Jackie it is like a female (and more risque) version of House. I’ve never seen anything like USoT and it had a different sort of dark humor that although not many can truly relate to the story line the viewers could find something that they could relate to. I think this was a bad call and they should’ve allowed the show to have one last chance. Not many people knew anything about the show, that’s why the ratings were down. I think they just gave up because of the money issue which is understandable but frustrating.

17. Anna says:

And Showtime joins Fox in the Bad Decision Hall Of Shame for 2011.

• Joann says:

I totally agree with you — Edie Falco’s Jackie is a one-note character and should not have gone past that first season. I guess for every Dexter there has to be dreck like Nurse Jackie

• Oppenheimer says:

One note? Seriously? You must not watch the show. Just because Jackie doesn’t have 45 separate personalities doesn’t make her one note. That said, Tara was awesome. Not so much in love with it this season, though. Jackie’s still rockin.’

• Michelle says:

I am with you on this. I recently started watching it after protesting because I do not find Edie Falco to be an interesting enough actress (remember…to each their own) but finally caved after much pushing from my mother. Can’t stand it. I gave it a few episodes to try to win me over but I’m done. I think the only reason it is even a hit is because of Falco’s Soprano’s history.

18. Jorge says:

F**K YOU SHOWTIME!

19. Junior G. says:

Showtime has also renewed The Borgias for a second season.

20. Charles says:

Wow, Showtime is proving to be as disappointing as regular network tv. Big mistake cancelling this show. FYI I’m sure Nurse Jackie won’t be far behind.

21. Sal says:

I was not overly impressed with this season of Tara until last week’s episode. To me it looks like the show is going to focus now more on her and what caused her condition. I hope we get some closure but have to keep in mind the show was already filmed before the announcement….there cannot be many more episodes left..

Maybe Direct TV will air it like Friday night Lights?

22. Alicia says:

I am giving Showtime the “half middle finger” for canceling USoT. Awesome show. Here’s hoping they are able to wrap it up without any cliffhangers. :(

23. Bee says:

i’d be okay with this if the writers of USoftara could wrap everything up. but the show took on a new direction almost this season so i doubt things will be tied together by the end of the next 4 episodes.

24. Kathy says:

I was just thinking about canceling Showtime when Tara & Secret Life were over in the next few weeks. Now I definitely will! Nothing else that I watch on that channel.

25. shayna says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO this just ruined my life!!!! It really upsets me when an AMAZING show with a wonderful cast get axed! Showtime didn’t advertise Tara like they do with Jackie. SCREW YOU SHOWTIME!!!!

26. Nicole says:

After reading the spoilers for this season, I’m not surprised. It seems like they were planning for this season to end. I’m not sure how they would have continued it anyways. That said, I’ll miss it. It was a wonderfully written show with an amazing cast.

27. Jesse says:

THIS TOTALLY BLOWS!!

28. amanda says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I dont understand! Tara has such a wonderful cast, Toni Collette is so talented. Pissed. Goodbye showtime.

29. Jay A. says:

Nooo! Nurse Jacky never really caught my full attention I will miss USOT dearly they should announce weeds last season too if it’s gonna be as weak as the last 2

30. This is BS! USoT is a fantastic show, evidenced by actual Emmys which is more than you can say for half of the shows on TV these days. REAL BAD move on Sho’s part.

31. André says:

As shocked by this as I am, I just really hope Brie Larson gets booked on a new TV show ASAP, she’s the best part of the show for me

32. Alex says:

Well another heavily-serialized character-driven show that’s just going to up and disappear without any closure. Thanks for nothing Showtime.

33. Boots says:

I’m an Eddie Izzard fan so I’m sad to see Tara go, if only for him finding a place on TV after The Riches was axed.

34. Aaron says:

This is truly disappointing news. While a fan of both, United States of Tara definitely had a stronger narrative than Nurse Jackie. I want to say it is more because Nurse Jackie is “in line” with Showtime’s current shows and perhaps less alternative. I did however feel that Tara was ending sooner rather than later; the latest arc for this season seemed to be leading up to a sort of grand finish.

35. Gigi says:

Never watched Tara, but psyched for Jackie! Now, if they’ll only BRING BACK MOMO!

36. Jon says:

I love Toni Colette, but Tara just didn’t do it for me. Not glad it’s gone, but not surprised.

37. Doug-H says:

I like both shows and found them interesting… I always wonder how something like Showtime can measure audience with so many of us watching On Demand or on the various other times you can watch stuff… I guess it’s a feedback thing…. Do people sign up for Showtime to watch Tara????? probably not and that’s all that really matters…. I love Showtime for Dexter, Californication, Jackie, Big C..etc… all shows with big names that will draw in subscribers…

Glad they gave it 3 seasons.. it certainly was different… I do as well hope Brie Larson gets another show soon…

38. Michelle says:

I no longer have reason to keep Showtime after June 20th. The only reason I bothered to keep it was for USoT.

39. Potch says:

Very very very very sad. Love Jackie. But… USoT is one of the best shows ever on television. Toni Collette is positively brilliant. All I can hope at this point is that they will wrap it up nicely and not leave us hanging.

40. bhm1304 says:

Of the two, and I like them both, “Jackie” seems to be the one treading the same ground over and over again and is actually becoming too traditional sitcom for its own good, has anyone noticed the awful sitcommy scoring this season? This season is going to end in the same place last season did.

John Corbett, Toni Collette, Brie Larson, and Keir Gilchrist have been playing the most off the wall close family so well. Keir Gilchrist especially playing a non sterotypical gay teenager has never gotten the accolades he deserves. Critics praise Chris Colfer for playing the most sterotypical gay character on television while Gilchrist is playing someone more resembling a real teenager struggling with and coming out. I’d take “Marshall” over “Kurt” any day of the week, simply a better written character in a superior young actor’s hands. The other big losses are Rosemary DeWitt who was Emmy deserving last season and Patton Oswalt. This brilliant cast and crew deserved to at least be able to end the story. This sucks as bad as when Starz unceremoniously dumped “Party Down”.

I hope “Jackie” picks it up going into the home stretch. The best thing about “Jackie” is still Merritt Wever’s “Zoey”. She is the sweet glue that holds that entire show together and its about time she got some Emmy love.

• chrisga says:

Agree with everything you just said, particularly regarding Keir Gilchrist and the character of Marshall. The work is quite subtle and a far cry from the tired, stereotypical and overwrought Chris Colfer from GLEE(and before anyone cries fowl I’m saying this as a man who happens to be gay); the character of Kurt is a dealbreaker for me and one of two reasons(along with Lea Michele’s Rachel)why I can’t sit through an entire episode of that show. That said, I have to say I haven’t been overly crazy about this season of USoT(or NJ for that matter, although Merritt Wever does indeed deserve Emmy consideration for owning every scene she’s in)but still sad to see it and a really brilliant cast no longer on my screen.

41. Mikey says:

I am a little surprised that ratings should have an impact on a premium cable channel (which WE have to pay for), but as long as they tie up the show with a satisfying resolution (unlike The Sopranos or most network shows!) It did seem as we were getting closer to understanding Tara and her alters and it felt like the show would come to an end eventually. That’s one of the better things about cable shows…a beginning, a middle and an end. Still I will miss the show but look forward to the next new thing!

42. Elle says:

I don’t watch much cable shows I’m much more a network gal except for True Blood,Pretty Little Liars,Hot In Cleveland (*SHAME*) and Tara so this sucks big time!I thought this show was great sure it wasn’t perfect but Diablo Cody is great and the show really had heart!

43. MJ says:

NO!!!!!! I watch both shows, but I anticipate USOT more.

UGH Showtime!

44. Danielle H. says:

I watched the first 2 seasons of this show, but I gave up on it especially after I lost Showtime and had to watch them on the internet. Showtime is entirely justified though guys. The ratings WHOLLY back up a cancellation. QQ at the networks who cancel shows or give them bad shots right out of the gate.

45. Will says:

Tara was much better. I stopped watching Jackie at the beginning of this season.

46. Aaron says:

I am shocked! Mostly at the fact that Tara got cancelled, then at the fact that Nurse Jackie was renewed which is utter crap in comparison. And I’m like appalled people are saying Tara was the weaker show! Are you out of your minds?! Nothing can even come relatively close to Toni Colette’s acting on that show! Nothing. Nurse Jackie is a waste of time, money and frankly acting talent compared to USoT.

47. Elisabeth says:

Nooooooo! I can’t believe it! I’m truly, horribly upset- United states of Tara is way up there in my top three of shows, every episode is funny and well thought out and I’m really really going to miss it. Gutted.

48. Amber says:

WHAT???????? THIS IS NOT OKAY!!!! IT’S NOT OKAY!!!

I like Nurse Jackie a little, but I really would have preferred to see the situations reversed if one had to go. Tara is so much more interesting and funny. I feel like now we will never truly know what happened to Tara.

49. Rachel says:

I LOVE United States of Tara! I’m so sad about this! I hope they end the show with good closure…..

50. Lily says:

United States of Tara has become a mess. They don’t know where to go with Tara and her alters, they made the big past secret revelation too soon, they are relying on ridiculous alter twists every season now with new alters appearing out of nowhere (and alters being killed? please) and the supporting characters are less than impressive so they have nowhere to go with that either.
    NJ is a well paced show that doesn’t rely on huge end-of-season twisters to have the lead’s story progress. The supporting characters are all interesting and can provide stories on their own and they alternate between drama and comedy in a way that feels life-like and not HAHA big laughs about things that really are no laughing matter.
    So yeah… thrilled.