2011 Fall TV Grid: Where'd Your Favorites Land?

Now that the major broadcast networks have unveiled their 2011-12 lineups, it’s time to step back and look at the entire chess board a.k.a. the fall schedule grid.

As you can see, several of your tried-and-true faves have found new homes next season (CBS’ The Good Wife and The CW’s Nikita, to name just two), setting up some key timeslot showdowns. Other programs are — gasp! — missing completely (ABC’s Cougar Town, NBC’s 30 Rock, the final season of The CW’s One Tree Hill and Fox’s Alcatraz are are among the shows being benched until midseason).

Our advice? Study the following graph long and hard and then head to the comments with an answer to this question: What will you watch live, what will you DVR, and what will you skip all together?

TAGS: , , , ,

DVR: X Factor
    Friday Live: Nikita

2. Jericho227 says:

Monday: How I Met Your Mother, Two Broke Girls, Castle, Hawaii Five-0
    Tuesday: Last Man Standing, New Girl, Ringer
    Wednesday: Happy Endings
    Thursday: the Big Bang Theory, How to be a Gentleman, Whitney, Vampire Diaries, Secret Circle, the Mentalist
    Friday: Nikita, Fringe, Supernatural

3. Jared says:

I love how I have 1 show on Tuesdays and Fridays but 10 shows on Thursdays! I can’t ever have an even TV schedule! lol

4. Kristen says:

This is going to be hard:
    Sunday – Watch: The Good Wife, PanAm. DVR: The OT, Simpsons, Allen Gregory, Family Guy, and Once Upon a Time
    Monday – Watch: Gossip Girl, Hart of Dixie, and Castle. DVR: Two Broke Girls, Tera Nova
    Tuesday – Watch: 90210, New Girl, and Parenthood. DVR: Glee, Ringer, and Unforgettable
    Weds – Watch: Suburgatory, Modern Family, Happy Endings, Law & Order SVU. DVR: Harry’s Law, Revenge
    Thursday – Vampire Diaries, Secret Circle, Private Practice. DVR: Grey’s Anatomy, Prime Suspect
    Friday – Watch: Supernatural. DVR: Grimm

In all honesty, I DVR everything b/c I’m hardly home and then catch up on the weekends, but if I watched anything that is what I would watch. Granted, this doesn’t account for Being Human, Walking Dead, ABCFamily shows, etc. So I would say there might be some changes.

5. Elle says:

Sunday:DVR Desperate Housewives and watch The Good Wife
    Monday:I’ll DVR Two Broke Girls & How I Met Your Mother,watch Terra Nova and Hart Of Dixie and MIGHT watch GG online if it interests me enough it has been lacking and then watch Castle.
    Tuesday:I’ll be watching FOX this night with Glee,The New Girl & Raising Hope then DVRing the CW line up and then at 10 i’ll be tuning into Parenthood.
    Wednesday:This night goes to ABC with their comedy line up followed by soap Revenge and i’ll DVR Up All Night and I Hate My Teenage Daughter.
    Thursday:This night i’ll be catching the CW line up and DVRing Community,Parks & Rec and Persons Of Interest.
    Friday:Watch Chuck and DVR Nikita.

GOD I watch too much TV!

6. Elle says:

Forgot the most important one!Fringe at 9pm on Friday I’ll be watching that one.

7. Sarah says:

Sunday – Amazing Race (live); Good Wife (live); Once Upon a time (DVR) Subject to when The Borgais’s and Game of Thornes return

Monday – HIMYM (DVR); Hawaii 5-0 (DVR); The Playboy Club (DVR); Gossip Girl (live); Hart of Dixie (live); Castle (DVR)

Tuesday – 90210 (live); Ringer (live)

Wedsnesday – CBC’s Republic of Doyle (DVR) plus whatever is on my pvr from Sunday and Monday

Thursday – Big Bang, Vampire Diaries, Secret Circle

Friday – Blue Bloods, Chuck, Grim, Fringe, Nikita and Supernatural

Good lord, that’s a lot of TV

8. Danielle H. says:

Dear networks: Please please please lighten up Thursdays! Tuesday is a viable day to move alot of things.

9. Elle says:

Btw does anyone know if the comedy encores on CBS will be Big Bang cause Thursdays too pact for me to watch there?

10. Frenchie says:

Sunday: Once Upon A Time (live), Pan Am (live)
    Monday: Terra Nova (DVR), HIMYM (live), House (live), Castle (live), The Playboy Club (DVR)
    Tuesday: Glee (live), The New Girl (live), Ringer (DVR)
    Wednesday: Free Agents (live), IHMTD (live)
    Thursday: Community (live), Bones (live)
    Friday: Chuck (live), Fringe (live), Supernatural (DVR)

Monday’s going to be hell.

11. sheilar88 says:

Here’s what I will be watching:

Sunday: Once Upon A Time, Pan Am
    Monday: Terra Nova, Hart of Dixie, The Playboy Club
    Tuesdays: Glee (live) Ringer (live) ,New Girl (online)
    Wednesdays: The X Factor (live), I Hate My Teenage Daughter (live)
    Thursdays: The Vampire Diaries (live), The Secret Circle (live), X Factor (online)
    Fridays: Nikita (live), Chuck (on timeshift channel/online), Supernatural (live), Grimm (timeshift channel/online)

12. marjojita says:

Sunday live: amazing race, football
    Tuesday live: biggest loser
    Wednesday live: the x-factor;dvr: survivor
    thursday live: the x-factor, bones!!!!!! ;dvr: greys anatomy

13. babygate says:

Desperate Housewives against The Good Wife? CBS is evil, pure evil.
    Charlie’s Angels doesn’t stand a chance in this line up…

Sunday: LIVE : The Good Wife + Pan Am. / Hulu : Desperate Housewives (only because CBS is a pain when it comes to posting GW online)
    Monday : LIVE : Terra Nova + House + Castle
    Tuesday : LIVE : Glee + New Girl + Body of Proof
    Wednesday : LIVE : Suburgatory + Modern Family + Happy Endings
    Thursday : LIVE : Charlie’s Angels + Grey’s Anatomy + Private
    Practice Hulu : Person of Interest
    Friday : LIVE : Grimm

14. Karen says:

I only see two new shows I’m curious about, so:

Monday – Terra Nova (provided it doesn’t suck)
    Tuesday – NBC
    Wednesday – Up All Night
    Thursday – Community, then Grey’s and PP (and eventually 30 Rock)
    Friday – Chuck and Fringe

15. Sandra says:

ALL OF YOU who did not list Fringe for Friday you need to get the DVDs and get on your Fringe watching this summer. Seriously an AMAZING show. WATCH WATCH WATCH it will be a summer well spent!!!! It gets better every season. I almost gave up on it season 1, but Season 2 and above are just mind blowing. PLEASE give it a try. I don’t want it to end next season!

16. Ben says:

Monday: Castle
    Tuesday: NCIS (when I have enough time) and Body of Proof (when I have enough time).
    I’ll check out Ringer to see if I like it or not.
    Wednesday: Harry’s Law
    Thursday: The Big Bang Theory and I’ll check out Charlie’s Angels (probably gonna be stupid).
    Friday: Chuck, Nikita, and Fringe.

Wish CBS put more original programming on Saturdays reminiscent of when they had The Agency and The District on Saturdays. The District got really good ratings and held its own on that night. It would be interesting to see if they put an established power house ratings show on Saturday nights with a good lineup and see what happens.

17. Lynda says:

We DVR everything. Safer that way with crazy work schedule. Then watch what we are in the mood for when we have time.

Glad to see so many mentioning Castle. Best. Show. Ever.

Sorry to see Rules of Engagement shuffled off to Saturday (?) It has had some really funny episodes. The engaged couple are pretty weak and lame, but the married couple and single guy with assistant are just hilarious.

Current shows:
    Sunday: CSI Miami
    Monday: Two and A Half Men (depends on how well Ashton does), Castle, How I Met Your Mother (sometimes)
    Tuesday NCIS, NCIS Los Angeles
    Wednesday: CSI
    Thursday, Big Bang Theory, Mentalist
    Friday: CSI NY (sometimes)
    Saturday: Rules of Engagement (?)

Shows to try:
    Monday: 2 Broke Girls
    Thursday: How to Be a Gentleman, Person of Interest

18. Kathie says:

Where is $#!+ My Dad Says??????????

19. Chelsea says:

This whole schedule is horrible. I want to see Charles Angels but thats the same time with Vampire Diaries. This is all going to be bad. I see the new shows getting canceled. Ringer looks amazing so I hope that show doesn’t get canceled & Secret Circle has tough competition as well.

20. bfinfrock says:

It would be nice when a grid like this comes out, that it would be printable.

21. melita says:

so sad to see not many people mention community :(

22. Tucson Mark says:

SUN: Watch-Football, DVR-Good Wife, Pan Am, SKIP: Ho(hum)ratio Caine
    MON: Watch-TerraNova (if it’s not ridiculous) SKIP: everything else
    TUE: Watch-the NCISs, TNT & USA reruns, SKIP: everything else
    WED: Watch-Criminal Minds and possibly SVU (depending on ‘the mix’ without Meloni, DVR-Modern Family, possibly CSI (but really tired of the pathetic Langston character)
    THU: Watch-Person of Interst, Mentalist, DVR-Prime Suspect, Bones
    FRI: Watch whatever i’ve recorded, TNT & USA, pray for something new from Dick Wolf.

23. Rob says:

Bet ya $5 half if not 90% of those new shows will be cancelled. Like what happened this previous fall

24. Steve K says:

It is too bad the grid doesn’t list the cable stations. It doesn’t make their shows (Syfy, AMC, TNT, USA and Bravo for example) any less exciting and it would be interesting sometime to see where their shows stack up against the big networks. Give me Burn Notice and Top Chef over many of the shows listed above.

That said there are many new shows that look like “trybies”. I will try them once or twice but if I am not hook I will probably forget them. I loved Britain’s Prime Suspect so I am will to give NBC’s version a chance. It is great to see Sarah Michelle G. back on TV so Ringer is another top choice.

Another thing that will make decisions for me is how quickly the last season comes out on DVD. If they get season 2 of The Good Wife out quick enough I might start watching Season 3 Live. I caught up with season 1 of Glee, for example, and now I always watch it live.

My favorites for returning shows are House, Glee, Top Chef, Vampire Diaries, Bones, and AMC’s Mad Men and The Killing. I hope the last two have a few more good seasons in them.

25. nakedheat2356 says:

live:
    sunday – the good wife
    monday – castle
    wednesday – the x-factor
    thursday – the big bang theory

and the walking dead

dvr – gossip girl, terra nova, grey’s anatomy, chuck, fringe

26. Ann says:

Just saying this: Glad I have a DVR that can record two shows at the same time…

27. WKD2 says:

DVR – House, Last Man Standing, Maybe all my schedule and watch without commercials.

Definately watch Fringe, it’s a good show.

28. Nance says:

I watch all of my shows via DVR, I am very busy living my life. I will watch, Good Wife, Desperate Housewives and what the hell happened to Brothers and Sisters??? I love that show even better than Desperate Housewives. House, Dancing with the Stars, Castle, Body of Proof, Criminal Minds, Harry;s Law, Law & Order SVU, Greys Anatomy, Private Practice, CSI: NY, Extreme Makeover Home Edition.

29. Carol says:

I work Evenings so all will be DVR

Sun: Amazing Race, Desperate Houswives
    Mon:Castle
    Tuesday: Biggest Loser, Body of Proof
    Wednesday: Not a darned thing unless Cougar Town returns
    Thusday: Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice
    Friday: CHUCK!!!! Grimm
    The only “new” show I am exicted about is Grimm and its on the Death of a show Friday.. Go figure.

30. Linda says:

Parks, parks, parks, parks, parks, parks, parks, parks, parks & rec!

31. Malinda says:

Sunday: Once Upon a Time – I’m a sucker for fairy tales and a casual fan of both Morrison and Goodwin. Might as well give it a shot.

Monday: Terra Nova looks really interesting. Will continue to DVR Gossip Girl (not proud, but it’s a longstanding guilty pleasure) and House (despite a thoroughly disappointing 7th season).

Tuesday: Ringer – live for sure. If it’s even half as good as Buffy, it’ll be my new favorite show. I might DVR New Girl, given Zooey’s general awesomeness and a trailer that made me smile.

Wednesday: Will DVR Up All Night – Will Arnett + Christina Applegate + Mya Rudolph? I’ll be genuinely surprised if it’s not hilarious. Will also continue to DVR Modern Family.

Thursday: Live = Community + Parks and Rec + The Office. Whitney might end up slipping, but I’m not affirmatively planning to watch it. And I always DVR Vampire Diaries – one guilty pleasure I’m not ashamed to claim after an amazingly structured Season 2.

Friday: Live = FRINGE! I a recent convert; breezed through the first 3 seasons in less than two months. If you’re not watching, you should be. I also might DVR Grimm.

As a rule, I don’t bother with shows until they have at least two seasons under their belts. I hate getting attached to a show only to discover that it’s about to be cancelled. But it seems like there’s just too many good pilots this fall not to make an exception.

32. castle!fan says:

Sunday: The Simpson’s, Amazing Race?
    Monday: The Sing-Off, Castle.
    Tuesday: Glee
    Wednesday: Harry’s Law, Modern Family?
    Thursday: Parks and Rec., The Mentalist.
    Friday: Chuck, CSI: NY.

It’s gonna be a good season!

33. Ally says:

Where is Cougartown?

34. kassandra says:

i so wish greys was on a diffrent day cause it’s on the time as bones and i don’t own a dvr and for some reason when i watch bones online it freezes pls change it to like sunday after desperate housewives

35. L says:

Sunday – Once Upon a Time/Allen Gregory/Desperate Housewives
    Monday – Terra Nova/Castle/Hart of Dixie
    Tuesday – Raising Hope/Parenthood/New Girl/Ringer/Last Man Standing
    Wednesday – Middle/Modern Family/Free Agents/Up All Night/Suburgatory
    Thursday – Bones/Parks & Rec/The Vampire Diaries/The Secret Circle
    Friday – Chuck/Fringe/Grimm/Supernatural

36. Stephanie says:

Can you kindly provide a printable version of this calendar? Thanks!!!

37. Kt says:

Be more impressed if tvline made an iCal so that always updated and I could load/view in google calendar;)

38. Linda says:

What happened to Love Bites this season?…It just stopped airing. I loved the premise, the writing and the characters of this show and looked forward to it each week. I was really hoping it would show up in the fall line-up!
    Sunday: Amazing Race, Good Wife Monday: Terra Nova, House, Hawaii 5-0
    Tuesday: NCIS or Glee, New Girl, Raising Hope
    Wednesday: Up All Night, Harry’s Law
    Thursday: Channel surfing to find whatever catches my attention.
    Friday: Chuck, Grimm or Fringe
    Saturday: Bluebloods and rent a movie.

39. Fizzy says:

Of course there are four shows on thursday at 9 that I want to watch. Thank God for On Demand. This will help the crappy tuesday schedule. Although I am really interested in the Ringer. Seems like a lot of potentially good new shows this year. Considering last years not so great showing.

40. juan says:

SUNDAY: Once Upon a Time, Desperate Housewives, Pan Am
    MONDAY: The Sing-Off, Castle/ ONLINE: Terra Nova
    TUESDAY: Biggest Loser, Parenthood/ ONLINE: Glee and Body of Proof
    WEDNESDAY: Up All Night, Suburgatory, Modern Family, Happy Endings, and Revenge/ DVR: Harry’s Law
    THURSDAY: Charlie’s Angels, Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice/ DVR: Secret Circle
    Friday: Grimm/ DVR: Shark Tank

41. IronBlossom says:

I DVR everything. Can’t stand commercials. That said, Thursday is going to be a stretch with 8 shows.
    S: Once Upon a Time
    M: HIMYM, 2.5 Men (unless Kutcher sucks), Terra Nova, Hart of Dixie(?).
    T: NCIS, Glee, New Girl(?), Ringer.
    W: Absolutely NOTHING. A wasteland that will allow me to catch up with other nights!
    Th: Big Bang Theory, How to be a Gentleman(?), Person of Interest, Mentalist, Community, Bones, Grey’s, Secret Circle(?).
    F: Blue Bloods, SPN.
    Sa: Another day to catch up!

Question marks mean I’ll DVR once and if it sucks it’s not going into my “series recordings.”

• IronBlossom says:

Wow, just realized with all that I actually hope some of these new shows DO suck so I can eliminate them! I only have about 25% empty space on my ATT Uverse as it is!!

42. iella says:

I ADORE you. And by “you” I mean the TVline team. Thank you for the graph. it’s bookmarked, saved and printed :-)

@SnazzyO: thanks to you too for the cable information