2011 Fall TV Grid: Where'd Your Favorites Land?

Now that the major broadcast networks have unveiled their 2011-12 lineups, it’s time to step back and look at the entire chess board a.k.a. the fall schedule grid.

As you can see, several of your tried-and-true faves have found new homes next season (CBS’ The Good Wife and The CW’s Nikita, to name just two), setting up some key timeslot showdowns. Other programs are — gasp! — missing completely (ABC’s Cougar Town, NBC’s 30 Rock, the final season of The CW’s One Tree Hill and Fox’s Alcatraz are are among the shows being benched until midseason).

Our advice? Study the following graph long and hard and then head to the comments with an answer to this question: What will you watch live, what will you DVR, and what will you skip all together?

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Fall TV Preview, Previews

1. Allison says:

Where’s ‘Bob’s Burgers’?

2. SnazzyO says:

Live: Football, Castle
    DVR: House, Bones, Ringer

• SnazzyO says:

NOT listed (Cable):
      Being Human (DVR if it conflicts w/ Castle, otherwise live)
      Merlin – Live
      Psych – DVR (because I never know when it is on)
      Justice – DVR

• Allie says:

I am really excited about this new schedule, but there are way too many shows I want to watch!
      Sunday: Amazing Race, Once Upon a Time, Desperate Housewives, Pan Am
      Monday: Hart of Dixie, Gossip Girl, Castle, Terra Nova, The Playboy Club, How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men, Mike and Molly, Hawaii 5-0
      Tuesday: Unforgettable, Parenthood, Glee, New Girl, Raising Hope, Last Man Standing, Man Up, Body of Proof, Ringer
      Wednesday: Survivor, Up All Night, I Hate My Teenage Daughter, The Middle, Suburgatory, Modern Family, Happy Endings, Revenge
      Thursday: Big Bang Theory, Person of Interest, The Mentalist, Community, Parks and Recreation, The Office, Whitney, Prime Suspect, Charlie’s Angels, Grey’s Anatomy, Vampire Diaries, Secret Circle
      Friday: A Gifted Man, Blue Bloods, Chuck, Grimm, Fringe, Nikita, Supernatural

• Allie says:

I am the most excited with: Ringer, Person of Interest, Revenge, I Hate My Teenage Daughter, Hart of Dixie, Grimm, Once Upon a Time, and A Gifted Man. These are all shows that seem unlike any shows that are on tv right now, which really intrigues me. I am sick of all the copycat shows, so that’s why I think this new season will be very successful.

• Allie says:

I work 2nd and 3rd shift, so everything I watch is DVR’d. I very rarely get to watch anything live.

• trisha says:

why would you want to.,..we got our DVR 9 years ago and I don’t think I have watched any live TV since..it’s so nice to not deal with commercials

3. melita says:

wow thursday is so crowded i have at least 8 shows including new shows prime suspect and person of interest

4. George says:

i am going to watch Chuck on friday and dvr Nikita

• Aiden says:

Exactly what I thought of first.
      Watch final season of CHUCK live on Fridays, then Nikita is DVRed to be watched later.Same with watching Fringe live, then Supernatural on standby.
      Wow, Fridays are actually filled with such good television.

5. Britt says:

I can’t decide if I want to watch The Secret Circle & DVR Grey’s, or the other way around, after last week’s finale. I’ll def. watch Once Upon a Time, nothing else comes on on Sundays that I’m interested in. I just wish they would move Big Bang Theory back to Monday night’s comedy block; I always forget it’s on.

6. CHUCKNIKITA FAN says:

I believe that Chuck and Nikita fans should

WATCH NIKITA LIVE and
    DVR CHUCK

since it’s Chuck’s last season will do no help for the show and it will definitely give Nikita more seasons. ;)

7. Amanda says:

I really don’t see the point in getting vested in any new shows. Suburgatory is the only thing I’m considering as a Jeremy Sisto and Alan Tudyk fan.

8. Renee says:

First I watch nothing live. I DVR everything and let it get at least 30 minutes ahead and then start watching. Truly that is the only way to watch sports.

Sunday – Football
    Monday – Terra Nova/Castle/Hawaii 5-0/Hart of Dixie
    Tuesday – NCIS/NCIS LA/Unforgettable/Ringer/Body Of Proof
    Wednesday – Criminal Minds
    Thursday – Person Of Interest
    Friday – Chuck/Nikita

This is tentative depending on if the new shows grab me.

• inishowen says:

I DVR everything as well. Then I can skip all the annoying commercials AND I can watch my shows when I want to on my own schedule.

9. Jenny says:

I suppose it says something about my taste in TV shows when Friday night (aka, where shows go to die) has the most shows on that I want to watch.

• John says:

Just means you’re a genre fan, and frankly, this schedule is the most active Friday night has ever been. It looks like the networks are finally making a serious effort to maintain a brand on Friday nights. Plus, given the prominence of DVR and the lowering standards for renewal ratings, you should be glad that these cool, but inarguably more limited-in-appeal shows fall on Friday, since it makes renewal far more likely.

• Pennagirl says:

Friday nights have improved this past season, CSI:NY (glad they didn’t cancel it)and Blue Bloods.

10. mawhi says:

Sundays: Once Upon a Time, Pan Am?
    Mondays: Terra Nova
    Wednesdays: Up All Night, Free Agents, Modern Family
    Thursdays: Community, P&R, Office
    Fridays: Grimm

No conflicts so far! Still waiting on AMC… also I’ll probably check out more of the new shows and go from there.

11. Kathryn says:

Sunday- LIVE: The Amazing Race, The Good Wife, Pan AM
    DVR: Once upon a Time, Desperate Houewives

Monday- LIVE: Gossip Girl, Hart of Dixie, Hawaii Five 0
    DVR: Terra Nova, The Playboy Club

Tuesday- LIVE: Glee, Ringer, Parenthood
    DVR: 90210, New Girl

Wednesday- LIVE: X-Factor/Survivor(not sure yet), Modern Family
    DVR: Free Agents, I Hate my Teenage Daughter, Revenge

Thursday- LIVE: The Vampire Diaries, Grey’s, Private Practice
    DVR: Charlie’s Angels, X-Factor Results, Bones, Secret Circle, Person of Interest

Friday- Live: Nikita, Blue Bloods
    DVR: Grimm

12. Melissa says:

Grimm or Supernatural, what do I watch live? I guess I should be glad I’m not a Fringe fan. Otherwise my DVR wouldn’t be able to handle everything.

13. Michelle says:

This TV grid hurts my brain. I have 7 shows on Thursday just on network television. Add in The League and It’s Always Sunny on FX and I am seriously considering a second DVR. Also, is anyone else not excited to add in another hour-long adolescent supernatural drama right after the Vampire Diaries? I love, love, love Vamp, but man, I would like to go outdoors at least once a week.

14. mandy says:

CBS saved my Thursaay by moving CSI to Wednesday :) For once I am happy about a time change!

15. David says:

Best (and printable) Fall TV Grid

16. Sarah says:

Don’t have DVR, can’t afford it. So, House, NCIS, NCIS Los Angeles, Body of Proof, Bones, Mentalist, Fringe.
    What I’ll watch online if they make it available for free: Grey’s Anatomy & Private Practice.
    I see V isn’t listed. Probably fell behind because most of us couldn’t catch up with it online since the refused to show it online, kind of like their doing with a few other shows. Which means I will probably end up dropping them as well. I have kids and always keep up with TVs schedule.

17. John says:

I may have to consider watching “Man Up” – the trailer looks mediocre at best, but the show is the creation of Better Off Ted’s Victor Fresco, and look what happened to that brilliant but poorly titled/advertised show.

18. Stephanie says:

Sunday: LIVE: Amazing Race
    Monday: LIVE: Gossip Girl, Hart of Dixie
    DVR: How I Met Your Mother
    Wednesday: LIVE: Modern Family, Criminal Minds
    Thursday: LIVE: Vampire Diaries, Grey’s Anatomy
    DVR: Secret Circle
    Friday: Nikita

19. Sophie says:

Where is 30 Rock?

20. Tina says:

thank god DVR’s can tape two shows at a time, or I would be in serious trouble!

• sue says:

If your area can get A T & T U-Verse you can record up to FOUR shows at a time. We’ve had it for over 2 years and we love it. Of course, we probably watch too much tv because of it…lol.

• Lorie says:

Yes, and thank goodness for On Demand channels, too.

21. Jen says:

Sunday: live Good Wife, DVR Desperate Housewives
    Tuesday: Glee and Parenthood (Huge thanks to NBC for keeping Parenthood!)
    Wednesday: Survivor
    Thursday: Grey’s Anatomy

I might need to try a new show…no more Brothers & Sisters, it could be the last season of Grey’s…I am almost caught up with NCIS, so I could add that, but that has to come to an end sometime.

22. Ashley says:

Sunday: Once Upon a Time
    Monday: HIMYM, 2 Broke Girls (?), Hawaii 5-0, Castle
    Tuesday: NCIS, New Girl, Raising Hope, Body of Proof, Unforgettable
    Wednesday: Up All Night, Suburgatory (?), Criminal Minds (if Hotch stays and Seaver goes)
    Thursday: Community, Charlie’s Angels (?), Person of Interest
    Friday: A Gifted Man (?), Grimm

There will be a few nights when my DVR does its thing, but all and all the schedule looks do-able.

23. Brandi says:

I’m going to be watching a lot online or On Demand. My DVR can’t handle everything. The new shows I plan to watch are Once Upon a Time, Pan Am, 2 Broke Girls, Terra Nova, Hart of Dixie, New Girl, Ringer, Secret Girl, and Grimm. I may give some of the others a chance too if I have time.

24. Tim says:

Monday: Castle, Hawaii Five-0, Tera-Nova
    Tuesday: Raising Hope
    Wednesday: Modern Family, Happy Endings
    Thursday: Community, Bones, Person of Interest
    Friday: Chuck, Fringe

25. Tina says:

Also, it never ever ever fails, Thursdays are always my worst nights! With this line up I will have a competition of 4 shows that I want to watch. Wednesdays are always duds (which fits again with this line up, although better than past years). Thursdays are also always the nights when I am gone all night so I am reduced to only the option of recording. Oy every year, never fails…Friday’s however are looking quite good this year :D That is always a nice thing to see. Whenever I am not out, I love having a good line up to watch.

26. dina says:

30 rock??

27. nessa says:

nbcs best pilots smash and awake for midseason
    i think they were the best pilots of the lot
    it should have been in the fall schedule

28. MW says:

Thanks TVLine Team! Always contributing to my television knowledge betterment.

29. Paige says:

I wish they would stop pitting Supernatural against Fringe. And Nikita is not a good lead-in to SPN, which is a veteran show, airing on the WB before the CW even came around. What were they thinking. Switch Nikita & SPN.

Also, goodbye Secret Circle since it’s against Bones AND Grey’s. I’m only watching it to see if it gets good, but if it starts out sucking and STILL sucking midseason, I won’t care if the show is kissed goodbye.

30. stacy says:

By fall I will have a newborn and a 1.5 year old, so everything will be DVR’d…. Sunday nothing looks appealing except maybe Desp. Hous, out of habit (I will likely check out the pilots Once Upon a Time and Pan Am, but am not holding my breath for excellence). Monday, Terra Nova and House (though House had a really bad season last year); Tues: Glee, Parenthood, Raising Hope, and Ringer out of deference to SMG; Wed: just Modern Family, unless one of the new shows gets better reviews than they current look like they’ll have; Thurs: Office and Vampire Diaries (my guilty pleasure), and check out Person of Interest; Fri: Chuck, Fringe, and I’ll check out Grimm.

• tvlover44 says:

forgive me for jumping in here, but given your tastes from what you’ve listed, might i suggest that you watch seasons 1 & 2 of ‘the good wife’ before its season 3 premieres on sunday nights this fall? it’s one of the most intelligent and entertaining shows on network tv right now, and *way* better than ‘desperate housewives’, in my opinion.

31. lolo says:

i love both chuck and nikita , but if i had to choose which one to watch live , i’LL watch NIKITA , since it’s chuck’s final season :( and the ratings won’t matter anymore for it …. and i want more than two seasons of NIKITA …. it’s just too good to be cancelled .

32. Erin says:

I think I will be able to watch everything live depending on the mind-season schedule of USA and the new season of Justified.
    Live: CSI:Miami,, Hart of Dixie, Hawaii 5-0, Ringer, Criminal Minds, Nikita and CSI:NY.
    Wow, my schedule of shows seems to have diminshed.

33. nonabgo says:

Sunday: Once Upon a Time (maybe)
    Monday: How I Met Your Mother & House
    Tuesday: probably Ringer
    Wednesday: Survivor & Criminal Minds
    Thursday: The Big Bang Theory, The Mentalist, Bones & The Vampire Diaries
    Friday: CSI:NY

34. Shuayb says:

I’ll just wait for the shows to air in amreeka and then get them from a friend… Otherwise us South Africans don’t get to watch all these shows…

35. Tanya says:

Sunday: Live – Amazing Race, Pan AM
    DVR – Once Upon A Time
    Monday: Live – Terra Nova, Hart of Dixie, Hawaii Five O
    DVR – HIMYM, Gossip Girl
    Tuesday: Live – Glee, Ringer
    DVR – New Girl,Raising Hope,90210
    Wednesday: Live – The X Factor
    DVR – Survivor, ANTM
    Thursday: Live – The X Factor, Greys Anatomy
    DVR – The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle
    Friday : DVR – Blue Bloods, Grimm, Supernatural
    I just hope I’m going to have time to keep up with this tv schedule :). Inevitably, I will drop a few after the first few weeks. I’m happy with the new schedule for the most part. Still really annoyed that Breaking In was canceled and to top it all off , no Cougar Town till midseason…grrr. NOT COOL ABC…I need my penny can fix…lol.

36. Shuayb says:

But good luck to the CW for getting more than 500000 people watching the Secret Circle on such a crowded thursday!!!! They should put it on Sundays… It’s a freshman show that doesn’t have the hot cast that The Vampire Diaries has… Seriously do they not have common sense?

37. Amy says:

I will probably stick with the shows I already watch live: Amazing Race, Good Wife, HIMYM, Castle, Community, Parks and Rec.(yea for the 8:30 slot!)Bones, and Chuck. Unless one of the new shows becomes a can’t miss, I will watch those on-line or DVR later.

38. Matt says:

Do people still watch live TV? I will watch many of these shows but none live. All atleast on DVR delay.

39. EdTV says:

All DVR
    Sunday: Once Upon a Time, Pan Am
    Monday: Terra Nova, HIMYM, House, Castle
    Tuesday: Ringer, New Girl, Parenthood
    Wednesday: Middle, Up All Night, Modern Family, Happy Endings, Harry’s Law, Revenge
    Thursday: Charlie’s Angels, Big Bang Theory, Community, Parks & Rec, Grey’s Anatomy, Bones, The Office, Person of Interest, Private Practice, Prime Suspect (Thank god I have two DVRs)
    Friday: Chuck, Fringe, Grimm, Blue Bloods

I also plan on sampling Unforgettable, A Gifted Man, Last Man Standing, 2 Broke Girls, Man Up, and Free Agents, but they will have to impress quick to stay on my schedule

40. Naudia says:

Monday: Live – Gossip Girl, Castle and DVR – Playboy Club
    Tuesday: Live – Glee, Ringer, Parenthood and DVR – New Girl
    Wednesday: Live – X Factor and DVR – Modern Family
    Thursday: Live – X Factor Results, Bones, The Mentalist and DVR – Vampire Diaries
    Friday: Live – Nikita

41. verver says:

Monday: Watch DWTS & Castle; record Terra Nova & Hawaii 5-0
    Tuesday: Watch NCIS, NCIS: LA, and Body of Proof; record Unforgettable
    Thursday: Watch Person of Interest & The Mentalist; record Prime Suspect
    Friday: Watch Chuck, Fringe, and Blue Bloods; record Grimm

42. WTH?! M&M, House, Sing-Off & DWTS ALL against each other on Monday!? What will I do? Plus House and M&M aren’t available online :(
    Who would put Sing-Off and DTWS against each other?

43. Joe says:

Sunday: The amazing race
    Monday: DWTS, Castle
    Tuesday: NCIS, NCIS LA
    Wednesday: Survivor
    Thursday: Live:The Big Bang Theory, The Office, The Mentalist
    Watch later: The Vampire Diaries
    Friday: Chuck

These are the shows I would watch, although today I will start to watch Nikita :)

44. Sarah says:

Sunday: LIVE : The Good Wife + Pan Am. / DVR : Desperate Housewives
    Monday : LIVE : Terra Nova + House
    Tuesday : LIVE : Unforgettable (Poppy Montgomery <3) + New Girl + Raising Hope / DVR : Ringer
    Wednesday : LIVE : Suburgatory + Modern Family
    Thursday : LIVE : TBBT + Grey's Anatomy + The Mentalist
    Friday : LIVE : Fringe DVR : Supernatural

45. Rich says:

Awesome! I don’t see any timeslot with more than 2 shows I want to watch except Thursdays at 8 (Community, Big Band and Vampire Diaries).

46. Kevin says:

Can’t afford DVRs but here’s my day-to-day TV viewing list: Mondays: Hawaii Five-O. Tuesdays: Parenthood. Wednesdays: Modern Family and Happy Endings. Thursdays: Charlie’s Angels and Person of Interest. Fridays: Chuck final season with only 13 episodes. Sundays: The Amazing Race and Pan Am (unless Mad Men comes back ’til March 2012).

47. Ben says:

When does AMC’s Hell on Wheels and NBC’s Awake air?

48. Dianne says:

Monday: The Sing-Off (live), Hawaii 5-0 (live), Hart of Dixie (DVR)
    Tuesday: New Girl (live), Raising Hope (live), Parenthood (live), Ringer (DVR)
    Thursday: The Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle, both live
    Friday: Nikita and Supernatural, both live (although I might use the summer to watch Chuck and Fringe and then DVR those)

Looking forward to a fun TV season!

49. Anna says:

Ringer AND Parenthood on the same night, at different times? Tuesdays are going to ROCK!

50. Kyle says: