Idoloonies: Jacob Lusk Talks 'Alone,' Luther Comparisons, and That 'Mirror' Controversy

Jacob Lusk says he’s not a “pompous jerk,” but he can’t help it if that’s how some people view him after his American Idol run. In a freewheeling Idoloonies interview, Season 10′s fifth-place finisher talks about what led to his memorable Hollywood Week cover of “God Bless the Child” (spoiler alert: It involves Haley Reinhart and Milk of Magnesia), how he allowed himself to get “psyched out” by Idol‘s mentoring system, which two performances he’d take back if given the chance, and what exactly he meant with his controversial comment about Idol fans not being able to look themselves in the mirror. Press play below for all that and more, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV! (p.s. Idoloonies is horrified to report the video file of our Casey Abrams interview got corrupted, but we’re working on scheduling a do-over. Stay tuned!)

Loading video...

Comments (185)

• I’m not a Jacob fan, but it would be difficult to deny that Jacob has a good voice. He needs someone to coach him on how to handle his voice and not go over the top. Perhaps some day he can overcome the poor opinion people have of him. His explanation of the “Man in the Mirror” comment made absolutely no sense. He’s had a long time to come up with an excuse, and that’s all he came up with?

Comment by JoMarch – May 22, 2011 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well yeah what can he possibly come up with to explain his Man in the Mirror comment? The only thing that could have neutralized that comment was if he could somehow say it was a joke….but he knows no one will buy that now (actually he had about ten seconds after he said it to make it into a joke, and those ten seconds have come and gone….)

Comment by ohreli – May 22, 2011 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s the third time I’ve heard him explain the “Man in the Mirror” comment and it still makes no sense. But hey, it must make sense in his head.

All these kids are so young. I can’t even be mad at him. Go, Jacob. I wish you all the best. You’re probably going to be awesome in five years after you figure yourself out.

I agree with people saying that Michael is the best Idol interviewer. I’d prefer having him in the same room (and I’m looking forward to some longer interviews), but I’ll take what I can get. I think he and Jason are doing an amazing job at these Idoloonies videos.

And please! Naima and Thia! We must have their interviews!

Comment by Teresa – May 22, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Jacob and for those who don’t, kick rocks. I understood his man in the mirror comment and am glad he did not sing Iovine’s song. He should have continued to ignore Jimmy. Jacob is a superstar!

Comment by Kim – May 22, 2011 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Idoloonies gonna have an interview with HALEY ??!!!???!

Comment by Eva – May 22, 2011 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • American Idol is running a survey on their website right now, asking for viewer feedback about this season. The survey is comprehensive, including questions about the show’s format, the judges as a group, the judges individually, the weekly themes, Ryan Seacrest, and more.

Comment by leigh – May 22, 2011 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for the information. they did that last year, believe it or not.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – May 22, 2011 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear Jacob,

Here’s the deal: You have an extremely expressive face and you need to learn to control it. I have no idea how; I have a similar face and have never learned to restrain it and it causes no end of misinterpretation. Society appreciates a good mask. You also need to ensure you are not revved before interviews; I’ve seen you speeded up and slowed down and you present better slowed down. Relax, babe, it’s only show biz. (You can let the mobile face come back on broadway!) Some people can do sexual moves on stage and some can’t; for instance, I really don’t want to see Steven Tyler grabbing his crotch, either, and I think he knows that. What the Hell, you don’t want to do sexual songs, anyway; leave that carp to JLo. Try your best not to make obscure comments on television or radio; while they blow right over my head, America interprets everything and is rarely nice about it. You have a great voice; except in sprituals, where extreme emotion is de rigeur, you need to keep it calm, melisma (or miasma, your choice) free. It is all about control – in everything. With that, have fun! :-) Yes, I know I wrecked your day.

Comment by Yo – May 22, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes, J LO has many songs about carp. also , halibut and grouper.

Comment by mrclean – May 24, 2011 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That part about Jaycee (?) was interesting to hear, especially after the show went out of its way to demonize Clint Jun Gamboa for his decision not to include him. I’m glad we get to hear these things afterwards, but I wish we’d have been privy to them when it still mattered.

Comment by Lyn – May 22, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Still can’t stand him. The first part of the interview, he was so fricking hyper that it made me tense and irritated. Maybe he did a shot of heroin himself to calm down. Either that or the milk of magnesia kicked in.

Comment by Debbie M – May 22, 2011 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was a huge Jacob fan early on, but his Man in the Mirror comment and the subsequent explanation make no sense whatsoever. Add in his histrionics in this interview when Michael mentioned that covering Alone after Carrie and Iraheta rocked it and I’m even less of a fan. The issue wasn’t that they were women and sang the song. The issue was that song has been sung brilliantly from Carrie to Iraheta to Carly and Jacob butchered it. I think even Gina Glocksen sang it better to my recollection.
    Jacob is the one who needs to take a long look in the mirror and ask himself if he’s a defensive ridiculous “you’re all haters” type. Those kind of people rarely lack the perspective in their world to see how they are perceived.
    I started off as a major fan. Pia and Jacob were my 2 favorites from the get go. That said, Jacob was off more than on this season and his personality left me questioning why I was even voting for him. After awhile, I stopped.
    Jacob can sing, but Jacob has to do some personal work/inventory to really be able to turn this into a successful career.

Comment by Joe – May 22, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he is an asshole.

Comment by blahblah – May 22, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOw, what an oddball he is. Anything but articulate. Did’t make him any more likable, though. I’m not sure that *HE* doesn’t like some mild syndrome that makes his speech come as a straight stream of conscious.

Makes me appreciate way more of the likes like Paul McDonald.

Comment by Emma – May 22, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dippy little dude, ain’t he?

Comment by JamieC – May 22, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was literally painful to watch. Frickin’ painful.

Comment by Valerie – May 22, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I posted this on the last article about Haley’s ouster but wanted to get the news out:

——————————————–

****HALEY IS RECORDING HER FIRST SONG*******

Dam them, TPTB want us to watch wednesday. Her parents say they may have her sing it on Wednesday:
    ———————————————
    “They didn’t offer details about the song their daughter is recording, but said Haley is expected to sing it during Wednesday night’s Idol show, when either Scotty McCreery or Lauren Alaina will be named the overall winner for the season.

“They are just going to test it out. They may release it, they may not. But she’s recording,” her father said.

“She’s a little spitfire,” Patti Reinhart said, noting that Haley has already refused two songs but “she likes this one she’s doing, and we hope you like it, too.”

————————- :) :) :)

Dam those manipulative bastards!!! GO HALEY WHOOOOP!!!

Comment by Tusk – May 22, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CAN. NOT. stand him

Comment by Saracen Riggins – May 22, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t picture Jacob sleeping. He is a hyper dude! I applaud his honesty. He can’t control what others think and say, but he handles it well. (And as an aside, he should never bleach that beautiful skin.)

Comment by Bonnie Half-Elven – May 22, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, that was interesting. I don’t know quite what else to say.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – May 22, 2011 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would pay good money to see Michael’s face on the other side of the camera as well.

I would like to hand it to you, Slezak, you don’t shy away from your earlier criticisms and you really let them answer in their own words.

Even when they’re spewing babble like Jacob. Sorry. I was going to try not to say anything but there were so many awkward and unlikeable things in that interview. One or two I can let pass by me, but they just keep piling up — new to interviews or not.

Comment by Jessabean – May 22, 2011 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care what anyone says, I loved Jacob on Idol this season. “You’re All I Need To Get By” is still a mainstay on my Ipod playlist (as is “Bridge Over Troubled Water”). I liked what he said about his challenge with choosing songs this season. It always seemed like he wasn’t picking songs nearest to his heart (“Alone” was an odd choice).

I don’t want to pigeonhole this man. I think he can sing whatever he chooses. I’ll buy an R&B or Gospel record of his, doesn’t matter. Personally, I think there’s more room for him in the R&B market than Gospel. Obviously, going gospel would be the safe choice, but he’s got a vocal uniqueness that could really resonate on some quality jazz/soul music…personally, if we’re forced to make comparisons, I’d fashion his career behind an Anita Baker before Luther.

All in all, I find his personality to be humorous, honest, and charming and I think he’s such a cutie pie!

Comment by KBJr. – May 22, 2011 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jacob seems to have trouble understanding that yes—you do make an impression to a huge audience in a very short amount of time, and therefore, yes—you better choose your words (and songs) carefully!! It is not about what we think about you as a person, it is whether you are appealing enough to take time out of our busy lives to watch and listen to you and care about you. You might be a fine person…..that is not the same thing as being an appealing entertainer.

Comment by ohreli – May 22, 2011 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • His explanation about his polarizing look in the mirror comment made no sense whatsoever to me. I don’t think he learned anything from the fallout, unfortunately, and there was no real sense of apology for offending people.

Comment by dj – May 23, 2011 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved his Haley impression! I wish they would of shown her version of God Bless the Child.

Comment by sunny – May 23, 2011 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, two things come to mind after watching the interview…
    1. The judges DEFINITELY wasted a save on Ashthon Jones (was that her last name?). I think they felt the need for a “Black Diva” singer on the program. Jacob fills the bill. They should have saved Kendra Chantelle, Lauren Turner, or even Robbie Rosen instead.
    2. Jacob is funnier than heck! You know, he’s just “out there” with his comments.
    I don’t dislike him at all. He is a good singer that just needs some guidance and training. His “man in the mirror” comments are goofy but hey, we all said stupid things when we were young – we were just fortunate enough not to say them on national TV.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – May 23, 2011 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey Darce, this guy, he was on Idol? Which season? No, seriously.

Comment by dgman – May 23, 2011 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He seems like a racist. I’m not kidding.

Comment by Truth – May 23, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My gaydar detector just broke.

Comment by Dude – May 23, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, no kidding, he always struck me as super flamey and oblivious to it. I forgot he was identified as a “spa concierge” too!

Comment by Jonathan – May 26, 2011 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • let’s do it, let’s DO the nasty….

Comment by mrclean – May 24, 2011 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe Jacob Lusk is an extraordinarily talented singer, and has a good heart and character.

Can anyone tell me how to get in touch with him by regular e-mail?

Keep up the great performances, Jacob, and don’t listen to anyone that tries to discourage you.

Comment by murphys – May 24, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was so much more awful and insufferable than I thought it would be. I love how Jacob refuses to take responsiblity for sucking on “Alone” by demanding that he not be compared to a white woman (and honey, Jacob, I don’t care how big you are, you were the most femmy contestant this season post-Brett). His attempt to justify his comments about looking ourselves in the mirror made no sense, and by the way, even THAT song was done better by noneother than Kris Allen.

Comment by Jonathan – May 26, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really did not understand his explanation for the Man in the Mirror comment. I assume that his explanation made no sense because it was complete BS and I’d have more respect for him if he just owned up to the fact that it was a pompous remark, indicative of an over-inflated ego and he’s either sorry for the remark or stands by it.

Entertaining interview, though!

Comment by Sandi – May 27, 2011 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. I did not need to know about his bowels. He’s even more horrifying to listen to when he is talking than when he is singing. How is that even possible?

Comment by whoopseedaisy – May 27, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is so full of himself. Not an ounce of true humility in there. I actually feel sorry for him because how can he ever really know himself if he doesn’t really see himself?

Comment by whoopseedaisy – May 27, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHOA, he said “You can’t compare my performance with Carry and Allison unless I completely bombed” … did he just say he did it better than those two or did I misunderstand because Allison blew his version out the park

Comment by AMO – May 27, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post