Idoloonies: Jacob Lusk Talks 'Alone,' Luther Comparisons, and That 'Mirror' Controversy

Jacob Lusk says he’s not a “pompous jerk,” but he can’t help it if that’s how some people view him after his American Idol run. In a freewheeling Idoloonies interview, Season 10’s fifth-place finisher talks about what led to his memorable Hollywood Week cover of “God Bless the Child” (spoiler alert: It involves Haley Reinhart and Milk of Magnesia), how he allowed himself to get “psyched out” by Idol‘s mentoring system, which two performances he’d take back if given the chance, and what exactly he meant with his controversial comment about Idol fans not being able to look themselves in the mirror. Press play below for all that and more, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV! (p.s. Idoloonies is horrified to report the video file of our Casey Abrams interview got corrupted, but we’re working on scheduling a do-over. Stay tuned!)

Loading video...

1. Sam says:

He was frickin’ fricked after his frickin’ Man in the Frickin’ Mirror comment. Frick.

• Terry says:

I still don’t frickin know what the frick he frickin meant

• karenb says:

The whole frickin frackin fricking thing cracked me up! I thought it was so funny!

I do think Jacob did get some of the most conflicting “advice” from the “judges” –it seemed to change back and forth each week…go loud, bring it back in, go loud, bring it back in…wth. I was even confused.

• tamara says:

yeah, that’s exactly what happened. Randy saying over and over again to be you, be you, all you. ANd Jimmy saying he has to pace himself, and control what he lets out.
          And it’s what Jacob says here too, thinking a million different things, should I do this, should I do that, but maybe they wanna hear this, or…

What a joke this seaosn has been. I vote for TPTB to replace the judges. I mean, can’t they get somebody who will actually tell them the truth, tell them how to improve?

You know, on twitter, @blackatyou has an insider source, and for the past 3 weeks she has told us who was leaving, and in what order they were telling us, HOURS before the show aired.
          And she said yesterday that the show is fixed, they have been doing it the past 5 years. And that this week, the person who actually got the least amount of votes was Scotty.
          And last week, James didn’t have least votes either.
          She says that this season, Haley, James and 3 other contestants (Pia, Casey and 1 more I don’t know) were eliminated but didn’t get least amount of votes.
          Nigel Lythgoe, Simon Fuller and Universal Music Group have weekly meetings to decide who leaves. And they do it for the ratings. Thata is, ultimately, for nmoney.

I know you won’t believe me, but the truth is in her twits. I read them the past 2 weeks, and whoever she said was gonna leave, and the order they were telling us, it ended up being true. And that is hours before the East coast airing. She starts by giving hints first, but later ends up telling it, but always before the show started.
          Also, she says at elast 2 judges are aware of this fix, but you know… money shuts them up.

Man, I can’t wait to see American Idol tank on Tuesday. The finale we’re all gonna watch cause we wanna see all the performances of the other contestants, and who they pair them with. And let’s see how many people vote on Tuesday, let’s see who cares. They’re not gonna get to the 95 million of this week. :)

• Yo says:

This is not likely because Standards & Practices would be all over their case if they attempted it. The fall-out from a scandal in Idol would rock the reality TV universe.

• Dina says:

Rigging the vote would be easy for the Idol producers to do. Idol’s voting rules say they have the right not to count votes from power voters. So, to rig the results, you simply decide who you want eliminated each week and then remove only the power votes for James, Haley, Pia, or Casey so that they “lose” that particular week. There’s no regulatory oversight, so no risk of being caught.

• Ben says:

I don’t believe you. Sorry.

• Did you consider that @blackatyou might just be lying and nothing more than an attention whore? I don’t buy into conspiracy theories. Are the judges being told what to say? Oh, yes I think so, but if the show was fixed, I don’t think Haley would have lasted as long as she did because they did. not. like. her.

• AI Watcher says:

If you think Country fans and teens & pre-teens weren’t voting their heads off for Scotty you’re CRAZY! That’s all I can say! Dial Idol isn’t always right, but they had Scotty WAY ahead of the 2 girls (by thousands) last week. Kids LOVE him, and Country fans LOVE him too! I’m not even a Country fan, and I think he’s GREAT! He’s not the one (or 2) I loved from the beginning, but I’m perfectly happy with the Top 2. And I don’t like Haley, tho it appears that TPTB are determined to promote her (and I hope they don’t OVER-promote her over the winner, like they did with Adam ~ SO unfair! Because of this, I won’t buy anything either Haley or Adam put out!

• marie says:

This @blackatyou may be making all this up out of whole cloth, or perhaps she does have an inside source – either way, I don’t think it’s at all inconceivable that the show could indeed be completely rigged.
            Remember: this is a reality TV show before this is a singing competition, and its primary objective – indeed, the objective of any show on commercial TV – is to make money, not to discover/promote a singer.

• DogBoy says:

they were trying to find a polite way to say ‘sing in a way that we listen without cringing’, but he couldn’t figure out how to.

• SallyinChicago says:

I think TV does a disservice sometimes. The person comes off as pompous or arrogant, as Haley’s been described. And in real life they’re not, but the camera, to which they are playing (or the TV audience) is showing something different. It didn’t hurt Jacob and obviously it didn’t hurt Haley. But some people think they were pompous. And Jacob was a homeless child, so he’s probably very proud.

• JACOB FAN says:

I absolutely LOVE Jacob (& I’m not Black, if that matters), but if he’d had some good, “productive” comments and encouragement from the judges & TPTB, he would have done VERY well, as he did in auditions. The way he was treated was VERY SAD! To me, and many others, he was not arrogant at all! But sorry, Haley was arrogant and obnoxious with her comments made ON STAGE to judges and the faces she made (plus bleeped-out language) – and you think she wasn’t arrogant??? I guess we weren’t watching the same show then!

• Jana says:

So, what did you think about the bleeped out language by Lauren? And Casey? And Steven? Amazing, everyone only ever remembers Haley swearing. And sorry, people in this world swear. I know a lot of good people who curse, and a lot of nasty people who don’t. And please tell me what obnoxious comments Haley said? “That isn’t the top of my range.” Oh wow. How dare she say something so obnoxious! I guess she should have lied, and burst into tears, and said “frick” and then she would have been okay in your eyes.

• rick says:

I agree with you Sam, Jacob lost my votes with that comment. He will never be anything more than a choir director. boo Jacob, you’re a bad loser.

2. Patrick says:

Hmmm… I didn’t think it was possible for me to like him any less, but homegurl is obnoxious!

• Dick Whitman says:

I agree, ugh.

• joe says:

Find it hard to hate on someone who can laugh at themselves.

• Joy says:

I think what I’m getting from this is that he’s just not very good at expressing himself — I think nothing he’s thinking is as conceited as it sometimes comes out; he just gets overenthusiastic and then muddled up, and talks himself into a corner, which only makes things worse…you know the type. :-) He seems like a good guy who means well, though.

• Teena says:

I think you are right, Joy. I actually enjoyed seeing what seemed to be his true self in this interview.

• Kari G says:

Couldn’t agree more!

• stevenjaba says:

I hope you are right. I have to admit I still have NO idea what he was thinking with that Man in the Mirror comment… I’m leaning towards thinking he’s delusional, but I hope you are right and it’s just a communication problem.

• LauraHolt says:

I can see why you find him so unlikeable.

I would argue that you’re still not seeing him ’cause Jacob’s not showing us Jacob as he really is. I don’t even know if Jacob shows himself as he is.

It doesn’t take Sherlock Holmes to deduce why Jacob talks like a prepubescent girl, is afraid to sing a song about sexuality and lacks self-awareness that his body produces the most awkward, uncomfortable to see, pelvic thrusts.

When you are repressing so much of who you are it distorts you.

Once Jacob finds the courage to stop worrying about The Church, what other people think, accepts and embraces who he is, he will be an infinitely calmer and much more tolerable person.

While I find Jacob awkward, immature and in need of emotional intelligence I will always appreciate him for his performance of God Bless the Child. It was the most heartfelt, emotional stunning performance I’ve ever had the privileged of experiencing on AI.( And it was an experience)

Unlike his subsequent AI performances he sang every note on pitch. He was 100% in the moment which is why every word he sang and the way he sang it was just right. It was perfection.

When a person is their head and trying to manufacture that sound and energy then you get what we got in a lot of Jacob’s subsequent performances. They didn’t work, it was all just TOO much, in addition to being out of tune.

Unfortunately, people that weren’t lucky enough to get to grow up in Black churches with phenomenal Black Gospel choirs, usually haven’t developed a love and an ear for that type of Gospel music, and are therefore unable to distinguish the differences between Gospel done well and Gospel done wrong. The ignorant immediately dismiss and discount all Gospel music as screaming, vocal acrobatics and over the top. They miss out on so much soul enriching powerful music.

I would have love to have seen Haley’s God Bless The Child I bet she gave a great modern jazzy rendition of it.

• LauraHolt says:

Whoops I guess I did she that performance but I didn’t remember it till I just watched it. It was good. Funny to see Jlo leaning over to Randy and whispering “We almost sent her home yesterday”

In the packager before her performance they showed how she forgot the words during the group round. I wonder if that’s what Jimmy was talking about when he referenced her work ethic in his little lecture to her or if there’s some behind the scenes stuff we don’t know.

• PB says:

IF the judges had picked “God Bless the Child” for Haley’s judges’ pick (considering they saw how good it was, and the audience at home hadn’t) and IF the results weren’t faked by the producers, then Haley could have been in the finale. The show – to gain back credibility – needs to have the results independently verified – or limit the results.

• Mia says:

I actually thought he seemed like a genuine, nice guy. I wish they did interviews like this on the actual show so that we could judge people based on more than tiny soundbites!
      I didn’t like a lot of his performances, but I agree with him on what his best ones were and, even if it’s not exactly my favorite style music, there’s no denying the boy’s got some talent.

• SallyinChicago says:

I agree w/Mia. But the show does “editing” and keeps in what they want and it shows the contestants from a different angle. There’s nothing the contestants can do. They don’t own the show and the cameras.

• Darsy says:

Thanks for this comment. I wasn’t sure I wanted any more Lusky Stank and your comment confirmed that I’d leave being more disgusted than I am already. Thanks for being my guinea pig, sorry you had to go through it :P

3. aunt_deen says:

Wow. Not sure this interview will change any opinions.

4. JRM says:

Seemed like same ol’ Lusky Stank to me.

• Evan says:

Yep- just as clueless as ever. Song comparisons (e.g., “Alone” by him, Carrie, and Allison) are about the songs, not about the people– nobody’s expecting you to be a young white girl. They’re not even expecting you to sing it like a young white girl sang it. They’re just asking you to make it work for your voice like the young white girl did. And Jacob did not make it work for his voice.
      _
      As for the “Man in the Mirror” comment, he essentially said he should be judged on song choice alone and not on vocal talent for that performance. Wrong-o, Jacob. That’s not how it works.
      _
      I’m curious to know whether he actually just sang from the heart or whether he’s not giving enough credit to the vocal coaches. I’ll be impressed if it’s the former (and they were okay with it, not that he just went off-script like I imagine he might), but I’m betting it’s the latter.
      _
      Jacob, you’re not a bad person. A little naive perhaps, but not bad.

5. tamara says:

I don’t see what

6. Bee says:

I won’t even watch this interview because I find him so unappealing and falsely entitled. I feel bad that Slezak had to spend time with him!

7. Aims says:

I thought this interview was amazing and hilarious!

• tamara says:

right???
      I was laughing so hard!! It was hilarious!!

And you can clearly see he has a sense of humor, and also that he starts talking, and starts babbling and doesn’t know where it’s taking him and can’t stop.

I don’t know. I never liked him (his singing), but he’s an ok guy.

I you guys think he’s rude, then my god wgat you must think of Steofano…

• JayK* says:

Exactly. Still not a fan, but in his Idoloonies interview he comes across as about 10 times more likeable than Stefano!

• stevenjaba says:

Yes, it was interesting, and disturbing, that in Stefano’s interview he seemed to assume that a record deal was going to happen for him.

• loopdeloop says:

Agree! He seems pretty hilarious, but also, he’s got a strong personality, and I can see why some people might be turned off I guess? But anyways he cracked me up.

• M says:

I found myself laughing through most of this interview, I guess he was not as bad as we thought.. Unlike Stefano’s interview, could barely sit through that one.

8. krisallenfan says:

wow. is that really unflattering editing or is he truly that ridiculous? bye-bye Jacob. hope you enjoyed your 15 minutes!

9. tamara says:

I don’t see what’s so bad about him. He seems like a fun cool guy. Maybe his sense of humor is not for everybody. I was also like WTF with his ‘in the mirror’ comment, but I got over it, cause I knew he probably got kinda lost while he was saying it, but since it was recorded, they aired it.

People like James (cocky, arrogant attitude) irritate me more, just sayin.

Anyway, I liked the interview Michael, he cracked me up. I’m not sure if in a good way or bad way, but he was funny. lol

• Mia says:

Keep in mind that James has Asperger’s, which makes it harder for him to know what the “appropriate” thing to say is. I found some of the things he said annoying, but I kept reminding myself that Asperger’s makes it harder for him to read the emotions of the people in front of him; when the judges tell him he is the best performer in the world, he is going to take that literally. Just because he’s high functioning doesn’t mean he’s not affected by it.

• Lily says:

@Mia, notice also that Jacob says he was confused by the messages he was getting from the judges – that when he tried to sing in a more restrained way, he was told to go for it and be over the top. These are just a bunch of starry-eyed amateur kids. Even for the ones who don’t have Asperger’s, it’s difficult when someone famous like JLo or Randy from Journey or Steven Tyler from Aerosmith says to go all out in the singing rather than be more restrained, of course they’re going to listen. Really shows what Slezak’s been saying all along about how the judges responses not only did not help, but sometimes actually hurt their performance.

• Mia says:

Absolutely. The judges were a complete waste of time. But it’s not like previous panels have really given constructive criticism.

• SallyinChicago says:

Also keep in mind these are 20somethings and they are thrust in the spotlight of instant fame. They don’t have “handlers” or PR people…they’re open and sincere about their feelings and opinions. That’s how it goes when you’re 20 yo.

• Me says:

I have it as well, but I take responsibility for things I do and say that come off badly, and therefore he should as well, especially considering he wants to be in the public eye.

10. EvilEdit says:

He’s over the top.
    He’s real.
    Unpolished and raw.
    Love it.
    Good luck Jacob.

• tamara says:

You nailed it. He might be over the top, but he knows it, so he handles it with fun, jokingly.

He doesn’t seem like a rude person, or a mena person, so that’s enough for me.

• Lily says:

Best of luck to you, Jacob! Go for a career in gospel music, I think you will find great success there and also possibly more personally rewarding, if that’s where your heart is.

• Buster Cretin says:

He’s still obnoxious.
      He’s still delusional.
      He still sucks.

11. Elijah says:

Goodness…he’s obnoxious.

12. Pam says:

Wow. He is completely unlikeable.

Jacob is all about Jacob. Thinking that the way he looks was being compared to Carrie’s looks when he sang Alone – how ridiculous can a person get? Listen up, Jacob – you weren’t being compared to a white, southern girl; the comparison was about your version of Alone being distinctly sup-par to Carrie’s. You picked the wrong song and sang it poorly. Get over yourself.

13. L says:

Still unlikeable.

14. Jacob says:

Homegirl is obnoxious. I really think he had one good performance (You’re All I Need) and that’s about it. No Air makes my ears bleed.

15. Lisa says:

I don’t think Jacob’s a horrible person, but I do think his Ritalin dosage might need to be upped.

16. Cinder says:

Wow. This freakin’ topped Stephano. I’m now very frightened to see the Casey interview.

• J. says:

Wait a minute… Wasn’t Casey offed before Jacob? I am anxiously AWAITING the Casey interview.

• Lunakit says:

Bingo!
        There is a parenthetical comment at the end of Slezak’s article that the file of the Casey interview got “corrupted.” Whaaaaa??
        C’mon, Michael, why is it soooo impossible for you to interview ANYONE NAMED “CASEY!!!!!!!” ;)

Michael, you are littering the cyber streets with your Casey cast offs: Casey Abrams, Casy James, who next?… Casey Kasem?… K.C. and the Sunshine Band?

I rest my case…y.

• jen says:

Could Slezak be pulling a Nigel? Tampering with the Casey files on purpose…but making it seem to the public like he’s horrified?

Haha, okay…that was a low blow. It probably stems from my disappointment with the Casey negativity that went down on Idoloonies the week he was kicked off. It made me sad hearing “he gave a couple good performances, I’ll give them that” and “at least he made this season more interesting” while generally talking about him in a negative light. Some was warranted, for sure, but I wanted a happier conversation. Alas, that was 3 weeks ago and I need to get over it. I’m sure Sleak and Casey had a thoroughly entertaining and insightful time. I hope we get to see the recreation!

17. aunt_deen says:

If he had said, “God, I don’t know what I was trying to say with the mirror thing. My brain and my mouth were not connected,” I totally would have understood that and cut him a break. But instead he tries to justify it in a way that was, if possible, even MORE preachy and narcissistic.

• Tusk says:

Michael

although the Casey Abrahms do over would be sweet, I wouldn’t mind one of Casey AND Haley, just to see more of their off camera interactions that we saw a glimpse of (Both of them doing some wacky dancing maneurvers, and of course before the “I Feel the Earth Move” Duet…”I like growling singing with her…on stage!”)

–Although I did happen on a site that had like 3 pictures of Haley on her tippy toes, giving Casey a “friends+” hug, and casey cathching the cameraman out of the corner of his eye, in a hallway.

She was in the red polka-dotted dress she wore for her Adele performance, it looked very sweet.

Of course a full Haley interview goes without saying :)

18. Andy says:

I thought he was pretty funny, but yeah, they definitely think pretty highly of themselves!

• Tusk says:

That is a primary reason I will have to wait until Haley does a tour on her own instead of seeing her at the AI Tour(cross fingers she has enough success so she can tour).

I don’t have the patience to watch “going to church” and “emotionally perfect” or “Nuts of Wonder”. There’s no FF button on real life .

I would say half of the 11 are too aware of their greatness, that they don’t have to work to gain that respect. Largely because it seems the judges may have given them a warped perception of themselves. Everyone has something they can work on.

Three come to mind who appeared to not take things for granted, and who I felt, worked that extra bit harder which showed in their performances:

-Pia
      —(always struck me as neurotically focused…in a good way)
      -Early season James
      —(Not so much beginning two weeks before his elimination, looked like he was coasting to me)
      -Late Haley
      —(Although looking back I loved the early performances I ignored, but apologies to Jacob, Haley’s “God Rest the Child” was great…and how about totally turning the Beatles’ “Baby it’s you” on it’s head. It never even dawned on me that was the Beatles song. I love it)

• Tusk says:

*”God BLESS the Child”

• Julie says:

And she did the Beatles “Oh Darling”. (What’s Baby it’s You?)

• loopdeloop says:

It’s the song she sang in the sing for your round in Hollywood after Vegas, and can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_fNZiAt7Rk

• Tusk says:

Yes. Compare it to the original from the Beatles

her arraingement is wayy different barely recognisable. Took me several listens to realise the is a Beatles cover.

Sorry Beatles, Haley’s is way better

Just we didnt notice

• Tusk says:

That was yes to @loopdeloop’s link to Haley’s “Baby it’s you”.

In fairness to the Beatles, this was written in the period when all the songs had “you”, “I”, “me” or “love” in them, or so Paul McCartney opined. So very common arraingement for that period (the shalalala’s).

Still, so different from Haley’s version, she oozes sex and sultry in her version.

• Tusk says:

OK in fairness to the facts, “Baby it’s you” was written by Burt Baccarach and released by the Shirelles in ’61. The Beatles performed it between ’61 and ’63, and realeased it in ’63.

Either way Haley’s is the best interpretation :)

• julie says:

@Tusk and loopdeloop: Oh, It’s a song the Beatles COVERED on one of their early abulms (when they still included covers)! It was in fact written by Burt Bacharach and performed by the Shirelles. I KNEW there were no Beatles songs I didn’t know! :) (Sorry, I’m old and I grew up on the Beatles.)

• Julie says:

Sorry Tusk, Didn’t see you’d already clarified.

• can't wait says:

No way am I going to miss Haley on tour. Having some others I don’t need to sit through just means bathroom breaks with no lines. And I can leave early to miss the traffic. Win-win!

19. Jen says:

Michael, why are the Idoloonies interviews filmed this way? Why don’t we ever get to see you while you interview the contestant? What happened to the pretty locations you used to use on Idolatry? What is going ON?

• unicornwasp says:

i completely agree! you should go back to the idolatry format for interviews.

• aunt_deen says:

I would guess this is because Michael is no longer with Entertainment Weekly. They have a lot more clout than TVLine.

• Blair says:

maybe, but they also have suckier locations, suckier interviews, and suckier interviewers with no personality and show no personality from the person interviewed. Michael’s interviews are still faaaar superior. I do agree though, I wish they would show Michael during the interview.

• Linda says:

I’ll second that. I couldn’t care less where the interviews take place, but Michael, you are part of the attraction. You’ve got some serious charm, sir. And it just broadens the experience to see your reactions, or careful lack thereof, to what is being said.

• Casey says:

Probably working with a smaller budget now than at EW. It’s cheaper, easier, and faster to shoot with just the one camera pointed at Jacob, or to do it via Skype video. EW had a whole setup with multiple cameras, footage has to be edited together instead of just cut. All that takes extra time and money.

• Julie says:

I agree, Michael, your Idolatry format was WAY livelier. The conversation style interview — both with the contestants AND with your cronies when picking apart the show — was just SO much better. I also agree that NO ONE on any of the other sites compares to you, NOT at EW or at MTV. Your interviews were top quality, but your talents are wasted in this format. What can we do to get TV line to invest more mula your way?

• Julie says:

I miss the jocularity and wit of the old interviews and chats (as with Kristen et al). While you analyzed the show seriously, the levity reminded us (and you) not to TAKE it too seriously. It was funnier — and healthier!!!

• Yo says:

Michael Slezak seems to live in NYC, while the magazine is out of LA, where Idol is produced. I think if we waited for a face to face, some contestants would not appear at all – possibly even with a face to face in Los Angeles. These require far less time and don’t require the Idoloonymeister to move three thousand miles.

• hmmm says:

But Michael has always lived in NY, and the EW offices were always there. When the contestants go on their post-Idol media tours, they almost always stop in New York (Letterman, Regis and Kelly, etc.) Michael even said that Pia’s interview took place in a NYC hotel. Clearly location is not the issue.

20. Danielle Notaro says:

Wow, Michael. was Jacob aware of how much you disliked him during the show?

• Linda says:

Not a chance.

• Tusk says:

You know, I wonder if AI brings someone in to help them handle things like fan comments on blogs and “entertainment” channel. You know give them a “Dealing with the press/public 101″.

In order to succeed in this career you have to have thick skin and blinders. You can’t fill your head with the negatives or you will be trying to please too many people.

Pia showed savy in that respect, when the whole Ballas/dating thing came up. She said she asked herself “are you ready for all the things that come(gossip/loss of personal time/space) with this career?

She was aware of that kind of attention on your personal life was possible.

21. Jane says:

I think Jacob has a hard time explaining himself. His comments on idol seemed pompous and dumb, but I don’t think he is. He just wasn’t savvy enough handle the idol machine, kind of like Lauren which still amazes me is in the finale. Being young and from a tough background, I’m sure the instant limelight was very intoxicating, not to mention the judges never tried to give him the honest feedback that really could of helped him. So, if you’re told over and over how amazing/ beautiful you are it’s kind of hard to remain humble and not seem like an entitled jerk when the reality doesn’t quite match. Jacob should try gospel. He has a voice that has some amazing potential. He just needs time to develop it. Idol was so up and down for Jacob. I actually felt bad for him.

• Tusk says:

I think I agree with you about pursuing the gospel niche.

I think Jacob has the chops to succeed there, more than I see Scotty in country. It probably because he obviously need a few years to train that voice, but when I heard him duet with Josh Turner, he wasn’t even in the same ballpark with the super star.

I do’nt know that Scotty’s “long career in country” is guaranteed, although coupling it with that “aw shucks”, god fearing, gramma loving. persona may help distract from his vocals until they fully mature (Weird to say for a voice so deep)

22. happy says:

Okay everyone.

Time to look in the mirror.
    Or not.
    (He probably is the life of the party).

• Me says:

To quote the amazing Santana Lopez: “I’m a closet lesbian and a judgmental bitch, which can only mean one thing: I have awesome gaydar.” – Jacob definitely pings on my gaydar for sure.

23. Mary says:

Wow. His understanding of what he said before he sang “Man in the Mirror” is astounding. I’m sorry, Jacob, you cannot change English words to mean other things entirely. I’m just flabbergasted that he still doesn’t “get” it. He blew it right there, in that pre-performance interview, and he still doesn’t see it. Oblivious.

24. Linda says:

I would pay cash money for video of Michael’s face while this interview was going on. Close ups please for Jacob’s extended expression of outrage at being compared to 2 women in singing ability and his explanation of how you get your wife to do things to you. Mr. Lusk has taken the Danny Gokey crown of unawareness of self and others, glued swarovski crystals to it, planted it on his head and sashayed away to new heights. That was fun to watch. :)

25. SC says:

He’ll have a great career… in drag clubs.

26. Jenny says:

Horrible explanation to the “America looking at the mirror” comment. Based on what he was asked, Jacob’s response should have been something on the lines of that if he ended up in the bottom three he didn’t do enough to convince America. Something on those lines if he was trying to get across the message about each of us doing our part to change the world which was I think he as trying to say.

• Tusk says:

In an article shortly after his elimination he tried to tie it(THE Comment) into the Earthquake/Tsunami/Nuclear Disaster in Japan.

In other words he says if we vote him into the bottom 3, it’s not ’cause of how he sings, it’s ’cause we didn’t have enough self-introspection in regards to the Japanese people…..Of Course!!! Makes perfect sense now…..his song results are related to us not caring enough about the suffering in Japan.

Er..wait….

• Meghan says:

Yeah I agree, I don’t think that Jacob’s response to the Man In The Mirror incident really helped his case at all….

27. Spycig says:

Sorry Michael I couldn’t watch this past the part where you asked him about his ‘Man in the Mirror’ comment ~ he’s an arrogant ass, so full of himself! And yes I thought Stefano was an arrogant ass too…

28. Sasha says:

Should be immediately inducted into the Vote for the Worst hall of fame!

29. Justin K says:

HEY GIRL HEY! my gosh this kid talks to much! He’s so over dramatic. Talking about his inability to go to the bathroom did NOTHING for me to change my mind about how much I dislike him.

and really if you are going to say “frick” just go ahead and say what it stands for. It’s like you’re a 12 year old boy. Geez.

I didn’t really understand what he meant by “you can’t really compare me to Carrie Underwood and Allison…unless I completely bombed” Really? We can’t compare you based on vocal precision, tone, or performance? Loved Michael’s “that probably will not happen”

He started counseling people! HAHAHHAHA
    Why is he yelling about being arrogant… and way to spin that “man in the mirror” comment, jacob. Seriously? Stop that.

ahahahahahahaha he is so full of it. and himself- that milk of magnesia did not help.

30. algalhi says:

I loved this interview! Michael, I don’t know how you get these kids to relax and just be themselves, and then they start talking without thinking. We may not always like what comes out of their mouths or like the kind of personalities they appear to be based on what they say, but it’s refreshing to hear their real thoughts. In a couple of years, they’ll be older and wiser and boringly PC, but not yet :)
    I am so obsessed that I like anyone who likes Haley, and I noticed that Jacob was just rocking out to Haley’s exit song. Soooo, although I didn’t like your singing on the live shows, Jacob (sorry), I wish you well. That irrepressible personality has got to take you somewhere and I hope that it’s to a good place. I loved your “God Bless the Child” moment.
    P.S. Don’t ever listen to Randy.

• Tusk says:

EVER!! Re: listen to Randy.
      I was one of many saying “nooooooooo!” When Randy implored Jacob to bring back that Let it Loose Jacob. Pff that guy really has no clue what is coming out of his pie hole.

31. Octodad says:

Maybe he’s stopped up again.
    It would certainly explain why he’s so full of it.

32. TrueT says:

Wow, he’ comes off as a complete and arrogant a$$.

33. BloughMee (China) says:

Obviously a flaming queen in the closet, this dude is all about self-absorbed quasi-drama. Any time one of these idiot contestants starts talking about what they brought to the show and what they did blah blah blah ….instead of profusely thanking what fans they developed for voting for them – showing a little humility – they’re barking up the wrong tree.
    This kid is not a great singer – he has an annoying low register and even more annoying head voice – and he’s just plain weird. He might connect to the Soho scene or something but to middle America? No “frickin'” way. I doubt we’ll be seeing much more of him after their joke of a tour this summer. Good riddance.

34. Kristi says:

I REALLY didn’t need to know that he was constipated during hollywood week. I think I dislike Jacob more after watching this interview.

35. ladyhelix says:

I love these interviews, but they do seem different this year. $20 says it’s a speakerphone (or not being physically in the same room). Michael is usually warm, encouraging, and supportive between questions…. but something’s getting lost in translation.

STILL – I can’t wait for the rest of them!! Do we need to take up a collection to get you a plane ticket to L.A. Michael? Do you accept PayPal? Just say the word! If we all kicked in $5 you might even have enough for a meal or two!!

And thank you – I didn’t think it was possible – but I DO have a much warmer sense of Jacob after your interview.

You have however spoiled us.

36. Jennifer says:

No Casey Abrams interview? Nooooo!! I’ve been looking forward to that like whoa :o(. I hope you don’t have to resort to highlighting key points in a written article, but at the very least you should find a way to get him a couple minutes on the Haley Reinhart interview (I know, I’m sure you’d hate to give up precious Haley time…and girl deserves all the time in the world) because a discussion of Moanin’ with both of them is sure to be gold.

Ps – I think Jacob is hilarious. Too much? Probably. But hilarious.

• Amelia says:

The Casey Abram’s video file got corrupted so TVline are trying to reschedule him so that they can do another interview.

• Jennifer says:

No worries, I did read that part :) What I meant was that hopefully Slezak doesn’t have to resort to reiterating what Casey said during their interview somewhere else if rescheduling isn’t possible…and that if there is no time to do another full interview, Casey can be on with Haley for a couple minutes. After all, they had the duet of the season and it’d be great to hear them talk about it together.

37. Rusty says:

Aw, come on people–lay off of Jacob. Sure he’s a little unaware of himself and there are many things he doesn’t seem to get. Even after that long-winded explanation, I still have no idea what he meant by the “America is not ready to look themselves in the mirror” comment. Like most of you, I thought most of his performances were God-awful, but he really doesn’t seem like such a bad guy. I’m sure cultivating your public image is a learning process and he’s making mistakes like anyone would who was just starting out. I always think it’s a testament to someone’s character if they can come on Slezak’s show after they have been largely eviscerated on the site and still be cordial and nice. He seemed like he was trying to keep things in perspective and holding on to his self-worth at a place where I’m sure he knew nobody liked him. There’s no reason to continue tearing the guy down.

• Linda says:

Do you have to be so kind and rational? Plus, his self-esteem is just a wee bit stronger than it ought to be, based on his performances, don’t you think? This is definitely the season of high-self esteem contestants. Reckon we can thank the “judges” for that.

• julie says:

That’s not self-esteem, that’s bluster. It comes from the opposite of self-esteem. So I agree with Rusty. Give the guy a break.

• LindaFTW says:

“Do you have to be so kind and rational?” LOL! Linda, you are in it to win it!

• donna says:

agreed. he looks like a nice guy and he has admitted to making mistakes on the show. none of us is perfect and we all say sumb things once in a while in order to protect our self worth, out of ego, ignorance, lack of attention, or what not. it’s tough to mature in front of the camera… give the guy a break, he looks like a sweet, funny man and a real character.

38. mohop says:

Oh my goodness….that was so awkward and uncomfortable.

39. M says:

Aside from Casey’s interview that we have also yet to see, did Michael interview Naima & Thia?

40. jazzy says:

Love you Jacob!!!

You have a lot of fans, now don’t read any more of these posts.

41. dan says:

Well … at least he’s sort of funny, which makes him seem less annoying. By a fraction. And that Man in the Mirror comment still comes across as obnoxious, because his attempt to rationalize it was weak. Hell, it was incomprehensible.

42. sue says:

Ughhh….WTF does Japan’s devastation have to do was us voting for Jacob during Man in Mirror week. That’s a bunch of crap Jacob! So we were suppose to think about the world and Japan and not vote for you that night??? You weren’t suppose to be in the bottom 3 because Japan was going through hell? HUH?? He is just trying to down play his obnoxious stupid comment to America. He just thought he was such a great singer and that he shouldn’t be in the bottom 3 that week. lolz. Lots of arrogant idols this season, I blame the judges mainly. He still hasn’t top Stefano with his dreams of a Grammy very soon. :)

43. Sophie K says:

Wow, so many things I could say, but mostly … what was with the impromptu marriage counseling session in the middle of this interview? o_O

44. Posey says:

He’s quite a character. I’m not gonna hate on him. About his “mirror” comment: it’s pretty clear to me he wanted to say something profound and relate it to his song, but failed miserably. That’s all there is to it. He had no clue what he was saying, but he thought it sounded good.

45. jason1313 says:

i had to turn him off after he was asked about alone and how underwood and allison iraheta killed it and he was upset that he was being compared to 2 of the greats on idol and he was better them them

he had that How dear you compared me to those singers that are underneath me

one thing for sure he is a a$$hole

46. David says:

Okay so I never got the Luther comparisons. Luther was a real singer that could sing like nobody else. To compare him to this amateur is absolutely ridiculous. Just because someone sings Luther’s songs does not put them on the same level. As for Jacob, he was a horrible singer. He could belt out a couple of notes which were amazing sure – but the problem came when he tried to sing the other 99.5 percent of the song. He was way over the top, and really just BAD!! I have no idea how he made it through as long as he did.

47. hanie says:

He is hilarious! I mean, love him or hate him, he is ridiculously funny. You’ve got to admit that. My favorite performance from him would still be “House Is Not A Home.” I only watched the Hollywood Rounds online. Speaking of which..

Funny how he described Haley’s “God Bless The Child” like “she took a shot of heroin” then sang. People on other forums (and even some bloggers) have commented something similar. Actually Annie Barret on EW said the same thing about her “Rising Sun” performance. But that’s why I love her.

Kudos to him for giving Naima a shout out. I’m like one of the few people who liked her “I’m Still Standing” performance. But I didn’t understand his comment about the mirror. Come on Jacob, just admit it was something inappropriate to say.

48. Christy says:

Please….make…him ….go……away

49. Michael Mammano says:

Did anyone else bust a gut laughing when he started talking about doing stuff with women?

I was like “Oooooh, honey… really? Are we really playing that game?”

50. Holly says:

I had to stop after watching half the interview. He is so thoroughly un-likable! Ugh!