Exclusive

Supernatural Exclusive: Misha Collins Won't Be a Series Regular for Season 7

Brace yourself, Supernatural fans (as if Friday night’s finale didn’t already rob you of most every breath): Though his alter ego now is a bigger force than ever to be reckoned with, Misha Collins will not be returning to the CW series as a regular next season, TVLine has learned.

After making a rock star entrance in Season 4, Castiel quickly became a fan favorite, but the Winchesters’ angel ally has gone from heavenly to sinister this season. In Friday night’s finale, he opened the door to purgatory –- inside himself! –- and became a soul-powered God. And nobody was going to get in his way. Not Raphael, not Crowley, not even the Winchesters, whom he gave the ultimate choice in the show’s final minutes: allegiance, or death.

So why the decision to not bring back Collins as a series regular, just when Cas seems to be at his most… almighty?

“When it comes to Supernatural, our philosophy is that everyone moves in and out and weaves in and out of the story, obviously with the exception of Sam and Dean,” executive producer Sera Gamble tells TVLine. “We love Misha. We love and adore the character of Castiel. His character developed to this extent and went in this unexpected direction because we were so inspired by him.”

The season finale cliffhanger “is a very pivotal moment in Cas’ development,” Gamble adds, describing the character as “transformed.” “Basically, that’s what we’ll be exploring next season, so there’s just a big change.”

A change so big it calls for less of a focus on Cas and the goings-on in heaven? While there will be angel stories in Season 7, “they will probably be more self-enclosed,” reveals Gamble.

“[In Season 6], we consciously kept some of this angel civil war off camera because we are interested in what happens on Earth,” she explains. “We are interested in what happens in the purview of the boys. We feel that in terms of what we can accomplish, the scope of the show, our storyline is best accomplished where the Impala can go.”

Collins is expected to return for the Season 7 opener, but how much of a presence he will have on the show beyond that, if any, is a mystery Gamble can’t delve into “without giving away a lot about the premiere,” she says.

Two other names familiar to Supernatural fans however will be back – creator Eric Kripke and executive producer Ben Edlund. Gamble assures us that despite being left off a CW press release touting next season, Kripke and Edlund are hard at work on the seventh cycle. “Their titles have changed,” she explains. “There are a lot of technical and contractual reasons that people’s titles change that don’t necessarily reflect their level of involvement or commitment to the show. … They’ve been in the [writers] room with me every day this week.”

Supernatural fans, are you disappointed that Misha Collins won’t be a series regular next season? What did you think of Cas’ dark turn in the season finale? And what are your hopes for Season 7?

1. Granthor says:

So aside from all the show-related reasons that may or may not exist for Misha Collins not being a regular, consider this…

He and his wife had a kid last fall. He could have asked for this so that he had more time to be with his kid. It’s what I would have done.

• mera says:

Misha moved his pregnant wife up to Vancouver in anticipation of having plenty of work on the show. That’s why his baby was born in Canada. But Gamble & Co. left him twiddling his thumbs for 3/4 of season so he moved his family back to LA and then of course, SPN suddenly needed him full time.

I wouldn’t be surprised of Misha did choose not renew his contract, but not because he wants to work less, but because he was severely screwed over last season.

If this show loses a great actor and character, they have no one to blame but the showrunners and their inability to understand the most basic fundamentals of pacing out an entire season.

2. TVWatcher says:

This is what you call fandom overreaction, just like they do with all spoilers that are released. Scream yell, stomp their foot and overreact, before they get the full details. If people actually stopped to think before they post, maybe we wouldn’t have such a bad wrap in the fandom.

They don’t know what’s gonna happen for season 7 cause they haven’t really planned it out yet, which is why she said that…

But I am sure the fandom will force Sera to apologize and clarify what she meant cause they can’t understand on their own.

This fandom really has to stop reading between the lines all the time..

Fandom needs to get over themselves stop blaming Sera for everything unless you know the exact details of what goes on behind the scenes, if not shut up, grow up and knock the it off.

• mera says:

Or maybe these producers should take a basic course in public speaking since they say the dumbest stuff and then wonder why the fandom explodes. After six years, if Gamble didn’t know her how her words would be taken, then she’s even dumber than she is a poor showrunner.

• tripoli says:

That is perhaps the most intelligent comment I’ve ever seen posted here at TVline. Nicely done TVWatcher.

3. mgb says:

This totally blows. Cas is my favorite character on the show. I’m not sure the already low ratings can survive his absence. They should have made him a regular and explored his uniqueness instead.

4. Raquel says:

I too have watched the show from the beginning, and loved it, and the addition of Castiel only made me enjoy it more. The way the show evoloved with the Angel/Demon war, and the war in heaven only made it more interesting to me. I love the boys relationship, but the characters that interact with them expand the Supernatural universe and enrich the show. Castiel has been a character who we’ve come to know and love because he has such a profound effect in the boys lives.
    I loved the Dean/Cas relationship, because it was great to see Dean care about someone, and trust him like he did Sam, and see Cas. learning from Dean, and Sam how to be human. I don’t argue about this brother being better than the other, or how important it is to just see Dean/ Sam interacting with no other people in their lives, besides Bobby, riding in the Impala. Of course their chemistry makes the show, but that doesn’t mean they should never be apart, or have relationships with anybody else. I never hated Lisa and Ben, but many people did because how dare they let Dean care about, or angst about anyone besides his brother. All the boys friends have died. Ellen, Jo, that psychic girl, and most recently Rufus. Their family, except for that once cousin were jerks, and now their all dead. Castiel was their friend who they could depend on, and he showed up when they needed him most. Not all the time, so that the boys were not capable of handling things on their own. Now, their making poor Castiel into someone were going to despise, and have the boys have to hunt him too? I really can’t accept this if it’s where their going. Collins not being a regular, and hinting he may not be in the season much tells me their not planning on giving Castiel the redemption arc he deserves. If they decide just to make him evil and kill him off, or a quick, I’m sorry/death, I’m afraid I really will be disappointed and have changed my opinion of a show that once was a favorite must see television. Many have have expressed doubts about the show this season, I defended it. Voted best loved non human character, on a sci fi, show, TV Guide magazine. This is how you treat him?

5. TVWatcher says:

I know if you all love Castiel so much how about we just write Sam and Dean off the show, then it can be all about the Angels and his troubles. I mean seriously why hold Jared and Jensen back, just cut them loose if this how the “fans” are acting.

Don’t include ME in this we love Castiel, cause I don’t, I hated the finale, there was little to no brotherly interaction. Jared and Jensen were mostly absent, from their own show.

• nils says:

Amen. ;)

• M L says:

Agree with you about the brotherly interaction. You’ve got a great cast, use them! It’s not as if they have to juggle a million people like on Lost. How hard can it be to keep track of four characters? Fringe does it all the time.

• mera says:

You know it’s listening to fans like you that has ruined this show in my opinion. Instead getting character development and rich, complex relationships by expanding the show’s world for both brothers, they consistently get yanked back to the depressingly claustrophobic situation where they have no one to count on but each other. And I could even live with that if I thought Dean could actually count on Sam but the Sam screws him over almost as often as the MOWs so it’s all just so bleak and depressing. If I were Dean, I would probably just slit my wrists, except that he knows what crap is on the other side so even that isn’t an option. There is no joy or light on this show anymore and I think it’s because of the bizarre pandering to wincesters, whether they be emotional or sexual.

• Rodney King says:

How about this: the show can be about the two brothers, and their father figure Bobby, and their honorary brother Cas, and the way the four of them band together in a cataclysmic supernaturalish crisis and face crazy odds and kick some ass. And how when the team stops trusting each other, that’s when things go bad. And how they keep reminding each other of that fact every now and again and fight for each other.

Why can’t we keep all four characters? I like them all and more importantly, I like the way Jensen, Jared, Misha and Jim all play off of each other. Why does it have to be Dean and Sam OR Cas OR Bobby? It’s silly.

6. Anita says:

Although I did like Cas, there was something off about him and I don’t like this going rogue version, unless he realizes he has too much power and ejects the souls back to Purgatory, which unfortunately, the Winchesters may have to deal with if he ejects them onto the Earth once again. When you think that the Winchesters killed Azazel, put Lucifer back into the cage and got rid of Eve, now they have to deal with Castiel opening Purgatory and potentially unleashing all that evil onto Earth. I know Professor Visyak was a good monster, but remember, the likes of Luther and Gordon ended up in Purgatory and a lot of the monsters that Sam and Dean killed over the years, not to mention the shape shifter that Dean killed in ‘Skin’.

7. Rooky says:

As if this is not bad enough in the Season 6 shocking Finale to see our sweet Angel Cas turning ‘dark side’ and now worse we learned that Cas won’t be coming back as a series regular in Season 7!!!
    Though I am really sad to hear this yet it’s a relief that they did not kill him off as I was expecting it in the season 6 finale.
    Though he may not be in all the episodes like this season but at least I am happy to see Cas back in Season 7 …After all the show is mainly focus on our two gorgeous boys.. the Winchester Bros..this is why I love this show so much and keep watching it because of Sam & Dean’s amazing brotherly love.. their strong devoted relationship…that’s what makes Supernatural such a successful and hottest show on this planet!! We love this show because of the brothers relationship and not for the ‘Angel’s & Demons’ stories..I believe that the show will do a lot better with more of Sam & Dean’s brotherly love that was so badly missed lately and will hopefully see more of them in Season 7 with Cas back as their old ‘Angel buddy’…I do hope that Cas won’t stay ‘the Super God for long’ and will be back as our sweet old Angel in the beginning of Season 7 with the help of our boys & Bobby of course !!!God ..too long to wait for Season 7 !!

8. Jess says:

Worst news ever. Castiel is a great character. I know many who say that he takes away screen time from the brothers but I honestly think he brings a lot to the story. I was very disappointed with the season finale, it felt out of place, it’s actually not what I was expecting especially after The Man Who Would Be King. I hope things get sorted out for the best in Season 7. Because right now I’m honestly feeling I’m getting to the point where I won’t be able to watch the show any longer because I’ll just be too disappointed with it.

• A says:

I agree, and I don’t think he takes screentime from the brothers at all. The Dean-Cas bromance is absolutely epic… it even won an award on SpoilerTV (I think that was the site?) not long ago. People love that relationship, and it adds a lot to the show.

• TVWatcher says:

And it takes away from the Sam and Dean bromance, but I suppose those who hate Sam don’t care. I don’t watch for Dean and Cas, I watch for Dean and Sam… Not everyone likes that relationship or Cas…

• A says:

I don’t think it takes away from the Dean and Sam bromance at all, any more than Bobby’s relationship with them takes away from their relationship with each other. It’s crazy to think people can’t love more than one person, or that you have to hate Sam to enjoy Dean’s friendship with Cas.

• Raquel says:

Exactly, I love watching Sam and Dean, but it’s great to see the chemistry Dean and Cas have as well. It’s fun to watch. Besides, another way to look at it is the actor’s enjoy working with other people besides each other once in awhile. I love Sam, by the way.

• mera says:

ITA. I find this bizarre mindset that Dean can only love Sam to be beyond revolting. Especially when those same people never put the same restrictions on Sam. It makes the relationship gross and utterly unentertaining.

• Yohana says:

Absolutely agree.

• Yohana says:

Im so happy for your comment, because i just feel the same about the show. i mean, castiel is a very important part of the serie, at least before the end of the 6th season (that was terrible and without fundaments by the way). I dont understand what they pretend (and when i say “they” i mean the writers, director, producers or anyone who makes the choices on the show), they are tryin to make people believe that the things will be back at the same way that it use to be in the first three season, but that is imposible, because the caracters have change, and there are not the same young boys that they were five years ago. I just feel so sad, because i see the end of the serie very soon and i dont like the way that i think it will be the end, sometimes i wish that the serie finished in season five, because now i can’t imagine a good one if the thing start to go in this wrong way, and I really love the serie, so i will be so sad when it end at the worst way that could. :(

9. cindy&percy says:

I love the way this show has evolved. Tying up the relationship with Ben and Lisa was just right and the elevation of the Angel of Thursday to Supreme God was a winner. Castiel will be back because this has to be resolved.
    I hope season 7 looks at pagan gods. I’d love to see a regular guest star of that sort. I’d also love to see another psychic introduced like in the Michael J Fox movie “The Frighteners” and underappreciated movie and an interesting character.

10. Ivana says:

To be honest I’m way less excited about S07 after I’ve read this article… I’ll really miss Castiel.

• Yohana says:

I agree with you, Castiel is at the moment one of the most important caracter of the serie, i mean if its not the most important… but anyway, i think that the serie without him will be bored and sad. I love Castiel, and I love Misha, and i will always remember that special caracter, the one who always save the winchester, the one who always can make me smile, the good one, the Angel of the Lord, and no that ridiculous kind of villian that they want to create without fundaments.

11. aizen says:

omg every1 wants cas back! bring him back

• TVWatcher says:

Really everyone or just the Dean/Cas shippers ;)

Cause I don’t want him back, and I know a lot of people who are ok with them moving on from this storyline as well.

Right now most people are reacting with their emotions without thinking hey it’s a budget issue that could be causing this cut back.

• Ali says:

A lot of people, or just the extreme Samgirls? ;) (See how this works? We can do this all night.)

• Stop with the shipping crap says:

I want him back, and I’m not a “shipper.” I just like good story, and Castiel has lots of story left to tell. As do Dean, Bobby, and Sam. And heck, even Crowley!

12. Arielle says:

Castiel the angel of the lord is not so angelic anymore. Most of my family started to hate Cas when he went to the dark/crazy like state. I believe the reason he won’t be a regular in the next season is because of that only reason. When he became the “New God” as he says, Dean and Sam are going to want to reject him. They may even become enemys, who knows? But Season 7 is going to be hard to predict, Sam now has his memory’s of Hell and is going to have to deal with the pain, Dean and Bobby are probably going to help him with this.

13. Jeff says:

One other thing for everyone pissing all over Sera. SHE is showrunner, not you.

Do you guys REALIZE how much she has appeased to fans?? She got rid of Lisa and Ben. She took screen time away from Castiel this season (she made a compromise. Notice how FEW scenes Castiel has in each episode earlier on this season and even toward the end minus the last 3 or 4). She kept his presence to a minimal to appease fans who thought he was too abundant in season 5, and she still appeased the Castiel lovers by making him the link to all of the story lines.

She also gave us more monster hunting, which fans complained about by making MONSTER HUNTING a major part of the season.

She gave us more Sam for fans who said there wasn’t enough. She gave us more Dean for fans who said there wasn’t enough.

She did ALL OF THIS and everyone still bitched and moaned. I for one, would wish that FOR ONCE she’d stop trying to please fans and do HER OWN THING.

Kripke created this show. He got it on TV. It was HIS VISION and if you liked it (most of us did) then we became fans. If we didn’t we didn’t become fans. He then gave Sera creative control and she did what she wanted to do.

No one here has room to talk. You aren’t writing for the show, you aren’t contributing. PLus, YOU GET TO WATCH THE SHOW FOR FREE. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. Why would ANYONE waste their time watching a show they didn’t like??

• TVWatcher says:

AMEN JEFF I agree 100%

Now there is a petition going around to get her fired as showrunner, all because of this spoiler. And they want Eric back, before these same fans wanted Eric gone LOL

• Ali says:

Link, please!

• TVWatcher says:

Why so you can sign it? Sorry will not be passing that link around, because I support the show 100%

• Ali says:

Nope, because I go by the maxim of the internetz: Links, or it didn’t happen. And right now, honey, it’s looking like “didn’t happen” to me!

• TVWatcher says:

I’ve seen the link on my on personal f-list on LJ, like I said I won’t be passing the link around, cause if I post it, that means I support it which I don’t. Anyone who wishes for Sera to get fired just because they don’t get their way has lost their mind.

I am sure if you have LJ then you will see the petition sooner or later. ;)

• Ali says:

Ha, sure. ;) Keep peddling that if it makes you feel better, but no one buys it.

• Ali says:

There are about 800 comments here, more than I’ve seen for any other article on SPN. Clearly the idea of Gamble axing Castiel in season 7 has got some people riled up. Some of those are pure Cas lovers. Some of those are Dean’n’Cas lovers, and some are Dean lovers who just don’t want to see a good friend of Dean’s gone (since every other friend he’s ever had has been unceremoniously ditched, as Lisa and Ben were at the end of this year).

But none of them like the idea of a Castiel-less season 7. And you have absolutely no authority to tell anyone not to speak their mind.

• Clare says:

THIS. SECONDED SO HARD.

Just because I want Dean to have another loved one doesn’t mean I hate Sam. And just because I want to watch *more* than two hulking great men (not boys, *men*) bickering and angsting over each other in a stifling dysfunctional co-dependent relationship doesn’t mean I’m not a “proper” fan of the show.

I cannot believe the rabid reactions to the fact Cas was getting an episode “to himself” in 6.20. I cannot believe the constant complaints that he has “taken over” from “the boys” (no, they’re *men*, who should have actual friends outside of each other) when he has barely been in this season. I cannot believe the toxic atmosphere on certain forums, where fans of the character can’t say anything good about him without being bullied into silence by repellent individuals who seem incapable of rationality or maturity even though they are old enough to know better.

I think it would be a big mistake to write Misha Collins out when the ratings are falling. I also would be very disappointed if the Show intends destroying this much-loved character without giving him and his fans the redemption arc he deserves.

• Arielle says:

She should do her own thing, the thing with Lisa and Ben helped Dean get on with hunting and not worrying about them will help him with his job. There may be heartbreak but still it helps with the story line of season 7 coming up. Yes I did notice Castiel started getting in less scenes now that I think about it. Actually some people were trying to think of what there next villian would be. First it was The Yellow Eyed Demon then it was Lillith (can’t spell >.<) Also the Devil then they had the whole thing with Sam's soul gone, plus Samuel came back. The Last thing they fought was Eve until Crowly came back and thats when Castiel went alittle crazy. Someone said that they thought Criloth (Again can't spell her name The one that came out of pergatory?) was gonna be the new villan but she died so..This is gonna be a interesting season in september! :D I LOVE SUPERNATURAL!

• mera says:

You seem to be assuming the fans are some monolithic mass who all share the same opinion as samgirls and wincesters.

I am a Dean fan. I loved Lisa and Ben. I loved Castiel and I loved that Dean had real relationships with all of them. However, all Gamble did was tear everyone of them down. Now all Dean has left is Sam, who is mostly acts like he can barely tolerate Dean on a good day. So yeah, I don’t see how Sera has done anything to appease me. In fact, the only fans she seems to have appeased are the Sam fans and wincesters who wanted Sam to be as cool as Dean and wanted to get inside his head and wanted Dean to be all about Sam.

So no Jeff, I am not going to cut Sera any slack because as a fan of the guys who are’t her favorite, I feel like this entire season was giving us a giant middle finger.

But to be fair, Kripke and Singer would have signed off on all this so I blame them equally.

• another lucy says:

Sam has always been as cool as Dean, thanks. So all Dean has now is Sam, what does Sam have? Did he spend this past year hanging out with a real woman who wasn’t dead? Did he find any new friends?
        Dean’s lucky he still has Sam after what Castiel did to him.

14. Morgan says:

Direct appeal to Sera Gamble:

You know how “The French Mistake” implied a disrespect for you by the actors?

You really want to know how to tank your career?

Just let Misha get away and watch the fan base disintegrate with his departure.

We really, really like you, Sera. You wrote the 2nd-best episode of the season (right after “The Man Who Would Be King”).

DON’T BLOW IT!

• TVWatcher says:

Oh are you threatening her now? really threatening Sera? Yeah I can see fandom is out of control.. You don’t threaten anyone no matter how you feel. I wonder how people can think it’s okay to talk this way…

• A says:

How is she threatening her? Do tell, Freyja.

• A says:

Freyja? We’re still waiting, Frejya. Please enlighten us with these alleged threats, or please apologize to Morgan; it’s very unkind to accuse someone of something they haven’t done.

• TVWatcher says:

Who is Freyja person I have no clue who you are talking about. As I have said before I am not in the fandom… Honestly, saying don’t blow it and how to tank your career sounds like a sure fire threat to me. Do it my way or I make you pay…

• bedone says:

Yeah, you’re not in fandom, Freyja. I saw you say the same thing on a friends LJ the other day, while you were still posting away on sn.tv, happily bashing and then editing your comments before you could get moderated. At least everyone else has the guts to say what they mean and doesn’t double talk to the point of saying absolutely nothing over and over again. Just because you don’t get caught being and ass doesn’t mean you’re not an ass. If you’re really not in fandom, what are you doing here? And why so many comments? Doesn’t sound like someone who’s not invested to me. Tipping the scales toward obsessed is more likely.

• Freyja says:

@Bedone,

I was scrolling through the comments and saw my name so I thought I would post..

Why don’t you have the guts to reveal yourself… If you think I am an as* then why not tell me to my face. Not behind a fake name…

I mean were all adults here last time I checked, so level with me and come clean on who you are. I bet you won’t though. Why not send me a tell on SNTV ;) This is a challenge to you.

And I will admit I am a royal bitc* do I care no, why because I am always blunt and to the point.

As much as I try to leave the fandom it’s like crack, I always keep coming back… ;)

• A says:

Freyja, seriously, I know you love to hide behind personal attacks and wank, but I’d still really like to know. Where did Morgan threaten Gamble?

• Freyja says:

A you are the one hiding behind a fake name and attacking me, must make you feel better about yourself? I only post under Freyja you can find me under this name on a few boards, I don’t hide unlike you. So A you gonna be a big girl and come clean and tell me who you are, or are you a coward? I think you will continue your cowardly attacks under A or Bedone whichever you want to use, and this just shows you what type of person you really are.

So A which is it gonna be, gonna continue to attack and harass me under fake names, or are you gonna come clean.. You know how to reach me otherwise I am done….

• Freyja says:

P.S The reason I am saying I am done here as TVline says don’t go off topic and this isn’t the place for personal vendetta’s. So if you have a problem with me and want to discuss it in a mature adult manner you know how you reach me. Otherwise this is my last post here.

• A says:

All right, then, you’re not going to explain what threats Morgan made. Guess that was a lie, then!

15. Arielle says:

If you noticed that at the conclusion of Swan Song, while finishing the writing of his book, Chuck smiles and dissapears, indicating that he was God all this time. So what is going to happen to Chuck and Castiel? Will the real god punish him or is Chuck to weak for it right now, after the apocolypse and all?

16. SPNFan says:

This is terrible, the only thing that can come from this is that misha get out of the show in next season, and that is a terrible thing, theres a lot of fans who falled in love with him, and we think that this is not the way to go back things the way it use to be in season one and two. because there a lot of people that really wants misha on the show. They are goin for the wrong way. and when i say “they” i mean the writers, director, producers or anyone who makes the choices on the show.

17. mera says:

I love Misha and I love the Dean/Cas bond. I will tune in for the premiere of next season but if it’s clear that Cas is going to disappear off-screen after that and the Dean/Cas bond is going to be neglected like it was for most of this year, then I’m done. I love Jensen Ackles’ Dean but the guy needs to be given more to do than angst over his brother. I hate that he gets punished for having the ability to connect with other actors besides JP and to create interesting relationships with characters other than Sam.

18. Yohana says:

Para empezar el final de temporada fue horrible, lo mas ridículo del mundo , como va a ser Cas el malo… esque de verdad no entiendo que pretenden, bueno lamentablemente creo que si, quieren sacarlo de la serie, y piensan que la mejor forma es hacerlo de esta manera, que se vuelva una especie de enemigo de los winchester para que a los fans no les moleste cuando sea por fin derrotado por ellos. como no se dan cuenta , las cosas nunca volverán a ser lo que eran antes… Sam y Dean han cambiado, ya no son los mismos hermano peleadores que se tiraban chistes y conquistaban a una mujer en cada pueblo…, yo me pregunto de que va a vivir la serie, si ya hemos visto hasta el apocalipsis, son unos ilusos, Castiel era hasta ahora el único elemento que le otorgaba un aire nuevo a la serie, el que le daba la chispa, y ademas hay miles de personas que no toleraran este cambio, sin duda esto va a traer graves consecuencias a la audiencia. Yo respeto las demás opiniones, pero me quejo, porque amo esta serie, la amaba cuando no estaba Castiel, pero ya me hicieron amarla con él y si llegara a dejar la serie, no la volveré a amar de la manera que lo hacia cuando el no estaba , porque ya me acostumbré a el. Desearía que no fuera así , pero es inevitable. Por favor que no se dan cuenta que el se ganó el corazón de millones de fans, y se lo ganó siendo Cas, el angel bueno, el que no sabe mentir, el que no entiende los chistes de los humanos, el que no respeta el espacio personal, el que ayuda siempre a los winchester… cas el tierno, el bueno!!! … y ahora quieren transformarlo en una especie de villano, que cosa mas horrible. !!!

• A says:

In case anyone’s keeping score and doesn’t know Spanish, add this person into the “It sucks to make Cas evil” column. I don’t know if she’s also saying not to cut him from the show, but I imagine those two things would go hand in hand.

19. Keira says:

I look forward to Season 7. Don’t get me wrong I LOVE Misha Collins and what he offered to the series as Castielbut I also enjoyed the changes and twists this season. I like how they’ve kept it fresh. They tackled a lot of different issues in Season 6 and there are still open doors for certain characters to come back: obviously Crowley but also keep in mind that Jesse (the anti-Christ kid) and Kali (pagan god and Gabriel’s past lover), are still out there somewhere and could make an interesting comeback. Nobody ever really gets written out of the show completely. They can and have been resurrected through various methods be it dreams, flashbacks or supernatural interference as already witnessed in “My Heart Will Go On” when Ellen was brought back. We may not see Castiel as often as we did the last couple of years but I don’t think he’s being written out completely. Instead of assuming the worst, just wait and see. Eric Kripke and Ben Edlund are currently writing for the 7th season and that is good news!

20. Yohana says:

just to mention, but castiel have more facebook fans than Sam himself, and please, don’t start telling me taht i am not a fan of Sam, because I AM. I’m just sayin that you can not change the essence of a character that is considerate for the most part of the fans as one of the three most important characters the show, and even worst, you can’t remove him from the show forever. you can’t deny that Castiel has won the heart of the fans, and they can’t bring him off, he is an esencial caracter.

21. Kay says:

This is bad news. An aging show with ever decreasing ratings, instead of broadening its horizons and using a very talented actor, wonderful and popular character to the fullest, is regressing back to what worked six years ago. A year ago I wouldn’t have believed that Sera Gamble was so set in her idea of Supernatural being just the Sam and Dean show, that she wouldn’t try to make the show itself a success. She got the opportunity to put her stamp on Season 6, which became a hot mess of a season, critically panned, and now she follows it up with probably getting rid of a highly popular character and his fanbase next season (because I do believe from her statements that Castiel will be gone in the premiere).
    Oh well, Season 7 will probably be the last, and Jensen and Jared can move on to better quality shows with better writing, and Sera Gamble……. ? We’ll see what she ends up doing in the future.
    As a huge Misha Collins fan, I hope he gets picked up by a really good show, where I’ll be sure to follow him. Not too interested in Supernatural without him.

22. sams girl says:

Supernatural is not the same show for me anymore. The past couple of seasons were over complicated with angel plotlines that detracted from the very reason I fell in love with the show – Sam and Dean. It is THEIR story, it has always BEEN their story, they were the hunters, they had an unbreakable bond, they would sell their soul to save each other – it doesn’t get much better than that. Words can’t express how sad it makes me feel to not love the show in the same way anymore. I just can’t care about it post season 5. The focus has been lost and Supernatural has changed but not for the better. The finale to season 6 was the most disappointing, confusing one I have ever seen and to have the focus be on Castiel who in my opinion has long outstayed his welcome, really saddens me. I liked him in season 4 but then they turned him into a joke. The boys, the Impala, their journey is what I used to love so much in the early seasons and THEY were the heart and soul of the show. It will always be about the Winchesters, it SHOULD always be about them but sadly, the show has lost its direction I mean the writers don’t even care about bringing the amulet back! They would rather give screentime to all these egotistical angels which frankly have ruined the show for me their storyline is frankly not interesting. And I DO believe that the writers have pandered to the Dean/Cas fans and I have seen MANY examples of this:

Dean: Cas, not for nothing, but the last time someone looked at me like that…I got laid.

Balthazar: Sorry, you have me confused with the other angel. You know, the one in the dirty trench coat who’s in love with you.

Dean: Why’s it always got to be me that makes the call? It’s not like Cass lives in my ass.Dude’s busy (Cas appears behind him) …Dude get out of my ass!
    Castiel: I wasn’t in your…

I’m not saying I don’t have a sense of humour, I have a wicked one
    ;-) But surely to have SO many quotes like this IS obviously pandering to the fanfiction and a cheap way to win points with Dean/Cas fans. I’m glad he won’t be a regular next season though I haven’t decided if I will even watch it yet. I’m certainly not buying season 6.
    I just don’t care anymore because Supernatural has changed irrevocably from the show I used to love so damn much.
    And one more thing – Dean and Sam are the heart and soul of Supernatural and if you don’t agree with that then you don’t get their story. *this has been a rant*

23. Ev says:

I’m glad to hear this from what I’m reading there is a possibility he could be killed off the first episode… I hope the do kill him off…. sam and dean don’t get bossed around by anyone… not even god..

24. Kelly says:

The more I read the comments the more I think that this has nothing to do with less castiel on the show but less misha, i’m quoting here: “oh we love misha, oh we fell in love with him”.The majority of the negative comments are from stupid fangirls who watch the show for the good looks of misha and jensen not to say that jared isn’t a good looking guy but for certain reasons that i don’t understand he seems less popular.I’m not saying that we don’t have the right to criticize but critics must be constructive and I haven’t seen any good arguments yet.First I say it again misha will be returning to the show next year it’s obvious castiel is the new foe this season, read the descrpitive of season 7, all it says points directly to castiel, connect the dots, use your brain. And as the new foe he can’t be in all episodes, i think he will be in a good part of them like bobby recurring as a guest star so why should they pay him for all episodes like in season 6? I’m sure this decision is strictly for budgetary reasons so please stop the bitching, the whining and the threats this season has been awesome, smart and i mean really i give a round of applause to the writers.When you think about it what could they have possibly done after averting the apocalypse?Finding a big bad after Lucifer, yeah piece of cake! The way they approached season 6 was simply brilliant and we’ve never seen it coming until the last few episodes and even the finale dropped a bombshell with a castiel who is so blinded by his goal that he doesn’t see anymore how much he hurt his friends by his actions, his lies and ultimate betrayal, he’s like a child who played with fire and finally burned himself because now he’s possessed in a way by monsters souls and he can’t think straight anymore, he sees himself as the new god! So season 6 finale left us with the downfall of castiel and now season 7 will deal with the consequences and trying to save castiel or kill him it’s the only solution.And don’t forget that it might be the lasr season, so I think that it was a smart move from the writers because honestly i don’t see how they could have kept castiel on the show and they did for the fans because he’s such a popular character.
    And to conclude don’t forget that castiel brought this on himself: he’s the one that made a deal with a demon then lied constantly about it, it wouldn’t have been as bad if he had been honest from the start, ok his intentions were good but he should have known better especially since he had a front row seat to the apocalypse.Then he totally screwed up with getting sam back from the cage, ok not really his fault but why don’t tell dean, he must have seen that dean was miserable and why ignore sam at first?The boys had good reasons to be hurt and feel betrayed, it’s not so much about the working with a demon part, but about the lies and deceit and the feeling to have been played once again by angels and demons.
    So yes castiel has a lot to do to redeem himself, even if his intentions were pure at first they weren’t so much at the end like bringing the great wall of sam down, that is pretty much unforgivable and it will never be the same between castiel and the boys but hey c’est la vie!

25. nnatea says:

no comment for this..:D i still love Sam n Dean…

26. Lucy says:

I do feel sorry for ardent Castiel fans but from my point of view this is the first time in a long time I am actually exited for a new season of Supernatural. For me having an angel as an ally takes away from my enjoyment of the show and causes inconsistencies in the plot. No enemy is too powerful – Castiel can just raise his hand and annihilate a roomful of foes. The cannon is no longer sacred as angels can simply flit back in time and change the past. And death? Well if you are held dear to the Winchesters, no worries you can be brought back to life. By having such a powerful ally the stakes are never high enough and enemies would have to be made inconceivably powerful. The poor YED would not have stood a chance with Castiel at full power around.

From Misha’s point of view, I get the impression he would like to play a villain. He is a talented actor and I get the impression from comments he himself has made that the role of Castiel does not stretch him very far as an actor. I bet he would relish the chance to play deliciously evil. Having said all that I have long since learnt to take what the writers of this show with a pinch of salt, as often what they say in interviews is often the exact opposite of what appears on screen.

27. Amy says:

You’re crazy to take Cas out of the picture. Sam, Dean Bobby, and Cas are Supernatural. There would be no Supernatural without them. It’s not you the writers, producer, directors in the background…it’s what we, the fans see and want that make a show.

28. Marika says:

I think what the people who want the Supernatural from season 1 back, don’t understand is the impossibility to stretch the first 3 seasons to 7 (or maybe 8). This demon and vampire bashing, brotherly conflicts and love couldn´t be extend forever. At least not for the majority of the viewers. Of course the deeply devoted Sam and/or Dean and Impala lovers could watch it forever but not the “normal viewer”. I started to watch this show with season 4 and then I went back to the first 3. From an external point of view (as being someone who loves Supernatural but still has a life beyond) it´s my opinion that it is completely impossible to go back to the Winchesters from season 1. It was the same with Buffy. There was no way that the Buffy who came back from the death and so on become this cute little schoolgirl, she was in the beginning and the most fans felt in love with. I agree with the people who assume that Castiel will be the season 7 super-badass and the boys and Bobby will fight him but with the hope to save him. And then in the end there will probably be a major sacrifice of everybody. Because watching all this dying for each other, I have the feeling that this was Kripkes intention from the first moment. Everybody dies in honour and pride for his or her beloved ones.

29. eras says:

Give cass back dammit! Hes way better to watch then most of the shows characters anyways….so disappointed

30. name says:

But I must say, this is really a very bad publicity work from the Showrunners. Not to give out if one of the major characters will stay or go. Tension is nice but to piss of the people like this is bad policy and seems to me not very professional.

31. ATXGuy777 says:

Cas won’t be seen to much this season because he has some “house cleaning” to do :)

32. A says:

Cas has become such a huge part of Supernatural for the last 3 years that now when he isn’t in the ep I have this constant nagging feel something is missing or it would be better if Cas was here. I’m here since day one and I no longer can go back to basic, or just Sam and Dean, I need Cas.

This show desperatly needs steady supporting characters not kiling everyone who comes in contact with Winchesters, what is the point in living if everybody is lying dead around you?

And the thought of isolating Dean and Sam even further, having only each other is too depressing.

Keep Cas! explore him further, he is such a fascinating character.

33. Elizabeth says:

Thanks Supernatural for freeing up my Friday nights!!!! Without Castiel I will not be watching. That is all.

34. tara says:

Sam and Cas have a relationship that has not been explored. Next season, please have Cas get closer to Sam. Sam needs an angel friend.

• Raquel says:

I think the bottom line is, please don’t kill off Castiel. He really was not even in that many episodes this season. My hope is that this is a red herring, Cas will be redeemed early, and the real threat is a few really bad souls escaped at the opening of the gate, and are out to do their worst on earth.

35. Ali says:

Show needs more Dean/Cas awesomeness. In fact, if next season revolved around Dean and Cas being at odds and Dean trying to bring Cas back to himself, I think the writing would get better, and the show would be highly praised and have lots of enthusiastic viewers. That’s what happened in S4, when Dean and Cas’s frenemy relationship first started. They’re magic together.

36. spnlove says:

Castiel, please go away. He has overstayed his welcome. He is seriously spoiling the show for me. The show is about Sam and Dean, not that boring angel.

37. Van says:

Okay…while I am aware that Edlund and Kripke penned much of this ep, the fact is that Sera Gamble has largely taken the show in some pretty dumb directions as show runner since being given the post. She Mary Janes a lot, for a professional, and has clearly indulged her own obeessions with cute boys too much since she was put in charge. I believe her love for the whole “Dean-as-Dagwood” storyline was why we had the whole, insufferable Lisa and Ben situation given so much prominence this last season. Sera should be replaced as showrunner, simply put. She is unqualified for the position, as demonstrated by the corresponding drop in both the quality of the recent episodes, as well as its ratings.I think we should start a petition to have little Becky Gamble replaced by Ben Edlund. Maybe by the end of June, start of July? I am only a visitor to the web, so I don’t care to organise this. But I know many of you live here full time, so someone start a webpage to collect votes…keep it civil and sussinct, no rambling about characters or specific storylines, please. It’s a petition, not fanfic

38. Travis says:

I seen SO many comments this season about how people are sick of the heaven/angel storylines and want them gone for Season 7. So it seems only fair if they want to wean that out, Castiel is apart of that. Yeah he became a powerful character but he has been a huge part of the show for 2 seasons. Besides Bobby, what semi-regular character, likeable or not, has lasted longer than 2 seasons?

This seems about right to me.

Anxious to see what Season 7 has in store.

39. Kara says:

Well Jim Beaver isn’t a regular and he had WAY more screen time this past season than Misha. I love Cas and it was a huge let down that he was barely on the entire season and then – whoosh – he’s the big bad now? Whatever, Cas is by far the best character on the show. I loved Supernatural from the beginning, but Cas’ character brought it to a whole new level of awesome. Whether he’s a regular or a guest star Misha steals every scene he is in.

• name says:

“I loved Supernatural from the beginning, but Cas’ character brought it to a whole new level of awesome. Whether he’s a regular or a guest star Misha steals every scene he is in.”

This is exactly what the Dean- and Samfangirls freaks out. For this reason they want their “old show” back. When you read about Supernatural in the media during the last 2 seasons it was always the Winchester Brothers AND CASTIEL. Like mentioned in so many comments, he draw a lot of attention on himself and this means away from Sam and Dean. And therefore the Sam and Dean fanatics want get rid off him. They absolutely can´t see the situation objectively. I hope the writers realize that taking Castiel away from the show (in any transformation) and going back to the gold old days with the threesome Dean, Sam and the Impala won´t bring on the show any further. And I really can´t believe it anyway. I am sure there will be quite a big storyline for Castiel in Season 7 and not only in the season opener.

40. CD says:

This is really devastating. While I love Sam and Dean and their brotherly bond, I absolutely adore Cas and what he (and Misha Collins) add to the show. Killing off (or simply writing off) a character that has had such a profound impact on a large number of fans will have consequences; and while I will continue watching SPN even without Cas, I know there will be many who won’t, and I don’t blame them.
    I will definitely be extremely disappointed if Cas is “ganked” in the season premiere without any sort of redemption arc. He’s been an important part of the series since season 4, and it’s only right that he goes out as a hero (as someone else said in an earlier comment), especially since so many fans are emotionally invested in the character.
    As a Cas fan, I’m hoping he’ll be in other episodes besides the premiere. Being a guest star doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll get fewer episodes (I believe Jim Beaver was in more episodes than Misha Collins this season). A girl can dream! :)

41. Zackery Tolman says:

I love supernatural and loves the way its going and cant wait intell next season keep the good work up.

42. Justin says:

Castiel is now god and he should have a big important part in this upcoming season but it kind of makes sense how is not a regular since he is the new god. I have a bad feeling about season 7 i think it might be the worst season yet….

43. Annie says:

No Cas? :'(
    Cas have to be in show! We need Misha!!! We need Cas!!!

44. Con says:

I’m not surprised that they are scaleing back on the character of Cas. Sera would get rid of Dean if she could get away with it. This show has been crap for the past 2.5 seasons in large part because Sera Gamble is obsessed with the character of Sam and any other character/actor that stands out is punished for it. Unfortunately we the audience are punished as well.

45. Kelley says:

I’m cool with it. I think they told the story well and highlighted the character in a respectful way. They gave us the Cas-centric episode this season and then they actually gave him character development. Sure, he went dark side, but it was interesting and well done. I think it’s a good thing.

46. trickstergab says:

Wow so many opinions and comments. I have have been a fan since the pilot and believe me its been a ride. I love the characters but want this to go back to the begining and to fighting demons and unknown monsters. I would love to see more edge of your seat episodes with suspense and darkness. I think that Cas is a good character and I like him alot but the show is based on 2 brothers trying to fight evil. I miss one of my favorit characters like the trickster. I want it to go back to the reason I first got drawn in to watch and that was a new look and supernatural things. I think that we have had our up’s and down’s but if we are still watching then the writers are doing something right. I can’t wait to see what happens in season seven and I do HOPE to see more supernatural monsters and suspense!!

47. Theresa says:

I love Castiel and Misha. Sadness.

48. msquare1 says:

I have to say this is a mistake. Castiel’s character (and Misha’s portrayal of him) have added a lot to the show. I truly enjoy all of the characters (especially Sam & Dean), but souless Sam and Grandpa were getting old…quick. The last few episodes with Castiel have been the best of the season. I’m very disappointed with this news particularly after such a spectacular season finale.

49. Susan Lacy says:

My twitter name is castielsgal. How do you think I feel?

50. Victoria says:

How can they not bring Castiel back. The relationship with him and Dean is what actually made the show! I will be very disappointed if they don’t bring him back, it just won’t be the same. I do admit that they did take a drastic turn to the role, but maybe somehow they can find a way to send the souls back into purgatory. Besides, there is only one God and He can’t be replaced. Look at the Bible people, the Revelation. It just can’t happen. I realize that it’s TV, but it still doesn’t make it right.