Exclusive

Supernatural Exclusive: Misha Collins Won't Be a Series Regular for Season 7

Brace yourself, Supernatural fans (as if Friday night’s finale didn’t already rob you of most every breath): Though his alter ego now is a bigger force than ever to be reckoned with, Misha Collins will not be returning to the CW series as a regular next season, TVLine has learned.

After making a rock star entrance in Season 4, Castiel quickly became a fan favorite, but the Winchesters’ angel ally has gone from heavenly to sinister this season. In Friday night’s finale, he opened the door to purgatory –- inside himself! –- and became a soul-powered God. And nobody was going to get in his way. Not Raphael, not Crowley, not even the Winchesters, whom he gave the ultimate choice in the show’s final minutes: allegiance, or death.

So why the decision to not bring back Collins as a series regular, just when Cas seems to be at his most… almighty?

“When it comes to Supernatural, our philosophy is that everyone moves in and out and weaves in and out of the story, obviously with the exception of Sam and Dean,” executive producer Sera Gamble tells TVLine. “We love Misha. We love and adore the character of Castiel. His character developed to this extent and went in this unexpected direction because we were so inspired by him.”

The season finale cliffhanger “is a very pivotal moment in Cas’ development,” Gamble adds, describing the character as “transformed.” “Basically, that’s what we’ll be exploring next season, so there’s just a big change.”

A change so big it calls for less of a focus on Cas and the goings-on in heaven? While there will be angel stories in Season 7, “they will probably be more self-enclosed,” reveals Gamble.

“[In Season 6], we consciously kept some of this angel civil war off camera because we are interested in what happens on Earth,” she explains. “We are interested in what happens in the purview of the boys. We feel that in terms of what we can accomplish, the scope of the show, our storyline is best accomplished where the Impala can go.”

Collins is expected to return for the Season 7 opener, but how much of a presence he will have on the show beyond that, if any, is a mystery Gamble can’t delve into “without giving away a lot about the premiere,” she says.

Two other names familiar to Supernatural fans however will be back – creator Eric Kripke and executive producer Ben Edlund. Gamble assures us that despite being left off a CW press release touting next season, Kripke and Edlund are hard at work on the seventh cycle. “Their titles have changed,” she explains. “There are a lot of technical and contractual reasons that people’s titles change that don’t necessarily reflect their level of involvement or commitment to the show. … They’ve been in the [writers] room with me every day this week.”

Supernatural fans, are you disappointed that Misha Collins won’t be a series regular next season? What did you think of Cas’ dark turn in the season finale? And what are your hopes for Season 7?

1. Queenie says:

Couldn’t happen to a better character, see you Castiel. I shall not miss you.

2. Kris says:

Thank heavens that moronic angel will be gone. Maybe Death can come and reap all the souls out of him and it’s so traumatic it makes him explode again– this time permanently.

• Tavis says:

Agreed. I’m hoping Chuck comes back and “deals with” Castiel in the premiere. Move on from the angel garbage!!

• lou says:

I think they should keep the angels and demons and move on from the monster stuff. It was fun for awhile, buthere’s only so many urban legends and ghosts they can write about and they are pretty much tapped out (except for maybe Cthulu). Faeries and dragons- they were scraping the bottom there. Whereas the battle between heaven and hell is unresolved. Where’s the antichrist? Where’s god? Who really brought Castiel back at the end of season 5 and why? Why did God want Castiel to save Dean in the first place- was he hoping Cas would bond with the Winchesters and derail the apocalypse? Are the archangels all really dead forever? What happens then? What’s up with Crowley, and why was Cas powerless around the Mother? Could she have taken down God?

• Kris says:

I’m actually kinda laughing that you think a TV show is going to “resolve” the battle between heaven and hell. Here’s a newsflash for you– it’s been going on for eons and it will keep on going for eons. It’s one of those eternal never-ending things– the battle between good and evil. Who gives a crap about the minutiae of the angels? They’re played out. Let’s get back to the family drama. I’d much rather know what happened to Adam. Maybe they can bring in Jess’s family or bring back Cassie. How about a plain old evil demon Bela? Like Sera said, characters weave in and out.

• dbandlou says:

I actually am kinda laughing that you took my words out of context to try and make fun of me. Here, let me spell it out for you sweetie: there are still open ended plotlines in Supernatural’s heaven vs. hell storyline that could use some more attention so it seems natural to me to keep delving into that aspect of the show. On the other hand, there aren’t many new monsters to introduce that haven’t already been done (in some cases more than once, including their alphas), certainly not enough to fill entire seasons. Maybe they can finally hunt down Sasquatch and she can fall in love with Sam. Seriously though, I do want to know why Eve kept producing eggs, and I would love if the Lovecraft mention wasn’t just a red herring, but I can’t imagine JUST monster storylines from here on out.

• lol says:

YES!! I would love for Chuck to be like, step aside with your delusions of grandeur. *SNAPS* :D I cannot wait.

3. Ronald McWordydonald says:

WORD

4. What? says:

I don’t buy it. Castiel is one of the most unique, interesting characters on television. I think this is a publicity stunt to get people riled up and bring more mainstream buzz to the show and maybe even to Misha, and it’s working. If they tease us with the possible loss of Cas, way there’s no burnout on his character and the angels and everyone will be chomping at the bit for him to show up on the show again eventually and get redeemed. There’s no WAY they’d write him off permanently and shoot themselves in the foot. Supernatural has gone off the rails from time to time, but ultimately I think the writers are smarter than that.

• Marika says:

I agree. I predict that during summer we will learn more and more that Castiel will have a recurring part in the show and everybody will be eager to watch it. Because everybody is hoping that his beloved character will be great and have a nice story. Anything else will be a strategically mistake and no help attract all supernatural fans to season 7.

5. Rita says:

I really want cas back!The real cas!I love this show from the bottom of my heart but I can’t imagine it now without castiel!So i want misha as a regular!

6. L says:

The comments to this article ARE PURE GOLD. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. IT’S DEAN’S FAULT! IT’S SAM’S FAULT! IT’S SERA’S FAULT! IT’S KRIPKE’S FAULT!

• wtfisthisshow says:

I agree, I’ve been lolling at all this. Nice to not give a damn and be able to sit back and laugh at everyone else.

7. LS Gentry says:

Every major character on spn (excluding Bobby so far) has had moments where they let the fans down. Sam had demon blood, Dean was a torturer in hell apprenticed by Alastair, John had moments where he put hunting before the boys. . . I was certainly shocked by Cas’ actions at the end of the finale (My scream of “Noooo Cas!!!” is still echoing in my living room) but it was an awesome end. Have faith in our writers! They will redeem him as they have all the others . . . though that’s not guarantee he won’t face his demise in the process.

8. Chelle says:

Seriously how can people not have seen the relationship that has been built that last three years between Cas and the Winchesters. He has been with them every step of the way and they have become a family and a best friend to Dean. I think there are a lot of fans who can’t buy the sloppy writing of trying to change an established and true character in the last three episodes of the season. It kind of smells of desperation. Also, if you attended Paleyfest or watched the clips on youtube you’ll remember Jensen Ackles thanking Misha for being consistent on the way he played Castiel and how Jensen really appreciated it. He even says “thank you buddy”. Maybe that was Jensen taking a shot at certain people who now all of the sudden were completely writing him out of character. This is why Jensen plays such an awesome Dean – he dishes the crap back and says what he believes.

9. wtfisthisshow says:

Lololol @ most of you, regardless of what “side” you’re on. GBet a friggin grip. It’s not like he’s completely leaving. Damn. People who don’t like him can get a break from seeing him for awhile, and people that do like him will see him every now and then.

• Marika says:

I can´t understand why anyone would call SPN the Castiel show. Most of the time he was only in for a few scenes. Even websites started like “we want more Castiel on SPN”. And all episodes with him in the center or at least in the main part are the highlights of the show. Season 6-first half- nearly no Castiel and bad, season 6-second half-more Castiel and much better (I got this from the Pizza man).

10. badidea says:

This is such a bad idea. Don’t be surprised if all of Misha’s minions start watching Fringe or Grimm. I will not be surprised if Supernatural gets canceled midseason. They should make Castiel human and fight the whole season 7 for redemption to get his wings back. Castiel/Misha was barely in Season 6 due to the birth of his son, West. I am hoping that Castiel will be recurring like Heather Locklear was on Melrose Place. I do understand that Season 6 was a huge growing pain for Sera Gamble. It was all over the place. The acting was amazing, but the storylines were bad.

• M L says:

Ack! i forgot about Grimm! We really do have choices don’t we? But I doubt SPN will be cancelled. I’m sure the Sam-and-Dean-Only fans can keep it going.

11. Milla says:

Great news. Cas bores me to tears and it will be nice and refreshing to see less of him and the angels.

12. mia says:

I´m actually wondering, if Sera and Co. read this? It seems like 80-90% of the ppl commenting here are totally against Cas being written off the show!
    Someone forward this to them and maybe they change their mind when they see what is going on here? :-))
    And IF Cas has to go, because he doesn´t fit in the storyline…how about Cas leaves his vessel and they keep Misha in the Show as Jimmy?
    He could become a hunter, help Dean and Sam, since he can´t go back to his family and his regular life…

• Laura says:

It’s actually about 50-50 pro and con. I’m surprised. This is an article about Castiel/Misha, so it would make sense for it to be 80-90% against, but it’s not! Aparently a lot of people are sick of the guy.

13. Dominique says:

I thought this episode, and this entire season, was SUCH a disappoitment. We spend the first half watching Dean, Cas and Bobby trying to figure out what’s wrong with Sam and how to help him. Then Eve came into the picture, and with the name “Mother of All”, I really expected her to be a good baddie, to really be someone who was going to make it very difficult for the boys. Instead, the raises a few unknown demons, we barely see her, then suddenly, the boys find a cure and BAM, Eve’s dead, that’s it.

Then, it turns out that not Eve, but Crowley is the one the boys should’ve been watching. Cause he wasn’t really dead and HE is the one who really wants to open Purgatory. Now he’s a demon, or, as he said so himself; currently King of Hell, so i can udnerstand why he’d wanna open Purgatory. But no! That’s not really what’s going on here. See, it’s ACTUALLY Castiel who wants to open Purgatory, and has been working with Crowley this entire year to make that happen. And for what, exactly? So he can defeat Raphael and set everyone in Heaven free? If Cas had just gathered the boys, Bobby and Balthazar, good chance is they could’ve pulled it off together WITHOUT having to open Purgatory. The thing about this part that bugs me most is that we haven’t seen Cas’ entire battle with Heaven and Raphael AT ALL until the penultimate episode. Yeah, good way to tie up A LOT of loose ends -_-‘

I don’t buy all this stuff even for a second, because this is not who Castiel is or has ever been. Now I’m supposed to believe he was double-crossing the boys this entire year and is willing to drive Sam to insanity and have them killed? No, uh-uh, absolutely not.
    You can tell that season 5 is where Kripke’s vision ended. Those 5 years were his arc, and then when it got a sixth season, Kripke stepped down, Gamble stepped up and made some horrible calls (Don’t even get me started on all the continuity issues I have with the fact that there is no little wrap up to Chuck’s story, or that I’m supposed to believe that Sam and Dean would really let Adam just down there in the pit without ever trying to get him out).
    Gamble screwed up big time, and now Cas is the bad guy and Misha won’t even be back as a regular next season? Yeah whatever.

And yes; I know this show is mostly about two brothers on the hunt, while trying to deal with their personal issues, but it’s ALSO about their family, and how those people fit in, and Castiel is family. And so help me God, if I hear one more idiot tell me I’m not a true fan because I happen to love Castiel and think he’s an important part of the show, I will scream bloody murder.

14. CJ says:

Terribly disappointed that Misha Collins will not be a regular next season. I love Sam and Dean but, honestly, why can’t the show keep other characters as well? Bobby and Cas are/were also Team Free Will. In fact, one of the best episodes of Season 6 was “Weekend at Bobby’s” which barely featured the Winchester boys at all.

15. Charlie says:

I start believing that with the appearance of Castiel they set the show in a motion the authors just can´t handle anymore. They could fit him perfectly in season 5 with all this Lucifer rising going on. But now they have this popular, high potential and beloved character on the hands (a lot of people want to keep at any cost) and they don´t know what to do with him. Till season 4 it was a straight show about two lovely brothers fighting quite simple monsters and driving around in an Impala. Now we have heaven and hell loose and what happens? The story in season 6 was so analogical and ripped apart that for me there is now other explanation than incapability. Now I am afraid, that season 7 will be similar bad as season 6 but without Castiel, which makes it worse….

16. Plum Trees says:

you know, we lost half our fandom when the writers kept up all the god and angel bull.
    and we gained….castiel fangirls.
    now we’re gonna lose them.
    and you know who’s left?
    THE ACTUAL FANS.
    WE’RE GOING TO BE HERE EVEN WHEN KRIPKE JOSSES THE WHOLE SHOW.
    CUZ WE’RE THE REAL FANS
    AND EVERYONE ELSE CAN SUCKLE ON MY HAIRY CRACK.
    the end.

• TATI says:

Preach it. I cannot WAIT for season 7 to be all about the Sam & Dean relationship!!

• obi says:

Just as it should be. That’s what it started out as, that’s what Kripke’s vision was, and that’s how it’s going to end :D

• Dominique says:

I don’t know whether to laugh at you or feel sorry for you.
      First off; Kripke isn’t doing anything. He writes, but no longer calls the shots. Sera Gamble does.

Second: there are no “actual fans” and “fake fans”. There is the fandom, and the fandom loves what it loves. If you wanna put it in words like “fangirls”, then fine. The fandom has the Dean girls, the Sam girls, and the Castiel girls. They love who and what they love, so who the hell are you to tell us were no actual fans because we don’t share the same vision you do? Go be a pathetic person somewhere else and get of your high horse.

• Someone who works in this business says:

You obviously know nothing about what an executive producer does, and what a showrunner does, and has no idea on how the inside of a writers’ room actually operates.
        I dont know whether to laugh at you, or feel sorry for you. Go be a pathetic person somewhere else and get of your high horse.

• One more thing says:

and I’d like to say it’s “off” your high horse. I just copy-pasted you, so the bad grammar’s all yours.

• Plum Trees says:

I’ll hang out on my high horse with the actual fans, and I’ll enjoy the Sam and Dean show. You can do whatever the heck you’d like. When you’re done crying into your Cheerios, can you pass me the chips? I’ve got a show to watch.

• Enough says:

Actually there are fake fans and true fans, if you can’t tell the difference well that’s your own fault.. =)

True Loyal Fans= Stick with the show till the very bitter end ;) through the good and bad we don’t abandon it.

Fake Fans- Are bandwagon jumpers, they jump when the going gets tough and come back when things go their way…

Also Sera doesn’t just call the shots, for the record it was Robert Singer that came up with the Soulless Sam bit. It was all his idea, he pitched it and they ran with it. (just throwing that out there cause people wanna blame Sera for it)

And you have no clue the difference between a showrunner and executive producer. ;)

• Melissa says:

So you’re basically saying that the moment a “fan” has a brain and dares to critique the show and it’s direction that they’re no longer a true fan? — Where can I get some of those drugs you’re on?

• Rita says:

IA. I got bored with this storyline ages ago. Its time to move on now. I cannot wait for this storyline and Cas to die(or just leave whatever gets them gone) next season.

• heheActualBrainDeadFans says:

Yes, loyal to the end no matter how crap it might be like some brain dead stepford zombie. I abandoned that practice when I realized I was an individual and not some 13 year old girl who needs to remain loyal to her Elvis poster over her Beatles poster because I loved Elvis first.

It’s easy to see the maturity level of the “Actual Fans” with wonderful colloquialisms like “suckle on my hairy crack”.

Go kiss your Justin Bieber poster you child.

• walkure says:

yeah…and maybe you will end up being fans with no show to fan about… that’s where this is heading… don’t expect a season 8 if they keep bullsh$%$%ing like this…

17. CJ says:

Forgot to add, Sera Gamble says that other characters “move in and out and weave in and out of the story”. Not really. Other characters seem to exist only to be killed. I’m sure they’re saving Bobby for the last, gruesome death before killing off Sam and Dean. This, [sarcasm]surprising as it might seem[/sarcasm], really puts a damper on my enjoyment of the show. I loved Ellen and Jo, and Ash, and Pamela, and Bela, and Henrickson, and Anna and Gabriel, and Rufus. All gone. Sam and Dean alone against the world, blah, blah, blah, depression-cakes.

Now even Lisa and Ben have had their memories of Dean wiped (at least they’re not dead, maybe the writers are saving them to kill off with Bobby). Though, what the heck? They can still be used as pawns because Dean still cares about them whether they know who the heck he is or not, right? Dean should have had HIS memories wiped. But no, I guess the writers just want more epic man-pain or something, never mind the logic.

Meh. I was almost watching just for Cas anyway now. Guess I can stop now before they depress me by killing him (and Bobby, I know that’s coming, too) off.

• Melissa says:

I agree! The fact that this show has pretty much refused to allow other characters to exist in the boys lives for anything more than a short period of time is exactly the NUMBER ONE complaint I see with this show. Bobby and Cas seem to be the exception up until this point. But this ridiculous idea that this show only ever needs Sam and Dean to survive is it’s achilles heel. News flash. Fans like getting attached to the family of characters that surround these boys. It’s why there’s such a sardonic knee-jerk reaction to the show killing/demonizing nearly every woman who has dared cross a Winchester’s path. It’s not like they just go on their merry way – the die or turn evil. All of them. It’s pathetic and pretty much a joke among the fans now. There’s nothing wrong with giving these two boys a family and a cast of characters they can come back to. Killing off every popular guest star (good or evil) is what is getting old.

18. Kate says:

Finally! Hopefully, this means that we’re one step closer to having Castiel written off the show completely. I never liked his character and I’ve wanted him gone for ages.

Nothing against Misha since he’s awesome and does a great job with what he’s been given, but I really never liked Castiel.

And with him not being a regular, then he’ll have a little more time to devote to his wife and son. I’m not seeing this as a bad thing.

19. Lulz says:

It had to happen eventually. They couldnt keep dragging this angel story on forever.

• Marika says:

This kind of comment surprises me every time. So what now? The sensational new and exclusive demon, ghosts and vampire stories? And the brotherly conflicts between Sam and Dean fought out for the 1000nd time? This started to bore me already in the middle of season 3 and I nearly fainted when they brought back this vampire stuff in season 6 (by the way, in a Sam and Dean concentrated and nearly angel free episode which was so bad!!!).

• Lulz says:

But what did you expect? The angel arc is neither new or sensational anymore. What role did you see Cas playing in the future?

The fact is his character and this storyline is no longer necessary.

Plus, just because they might be getting rid of Cas doesn’t mean they’re returning to the same stories from before.

• Lauren says:

So he’s just announced that he’s the new God and ‘his character and this storyline is no longer necessary’? Really? Do you think they’re going to wrap up that big bombshell in the first ep of next season so they can go ‘buh-bye Castiel, lets get back to basics’? Beyond how awful that would be as script writing goes, anyone who asks for that is not being loyal to the boys. No matter what fans think of him, Cas has been written in as a major part of their life, therefore if he is a new God/evil/going to die, whatever, it will affect them a lot.

And to be fair, having screwed up the Eve storyline where can they go that is bigger than better than here other than a God Complex?

20. Marika says:

The vast majority of the viewers are no hard core fans. Otherwise the facebook site of Jared Padalecki f.ex. would have far more likes. If the story would have went on with Sam and Dean and the Imapala forever there wouldn´t be a sesaon 7. Because the vast majority of the normal people (like me), who just enjoy the show without becoming all addicted would have lost interest a long time ago. These people were attracted by the evolving story line. And the evolving story line were the angels. All the other stuff we had in the first seasons more than enough. And like this female fan of Chuck said in one scene: “The demon stuff started to become blunt…”. But I understand that the devoted Supernatural fans from the beginning want to have their original story line back. This kind of fans is so devoted, that they would watch the repeating of the same topics over and over again. For the others the authors need to go on, bring in new stuff and build the potential of the popular characters in the show to new levels.

• TVWatcher says:

You know why shows like NCIS work, it’s because they don’t change what the show is about. Once you dramatically change the entire show, you start losing your fanbase and that’s what happened to Supernatural, the writers changed the show to something the hard core fans who once championed the show don’t recognize.

You can’t change the show so dramatically without consequences and so far it’s been negative consequences.

If SPN went back to the mini horror show every week, with character growth in the middle it can redeem itself to the hard core fandom.

If you want the Castiel show then maybe we should just have Jared and Jensen quit the show. This way all the Misha Minions would have their Angel show. And the rest of us would go find something else to watch…

• Maddy says:

Jared doesn’t have Facebook account. He’s said time and again that he does not belong to any social networking sites. So why would his fans want to like a fake Facebook page?

• Sarah says:

I believe Marika meant the fan page for Jared. You know, those pages that shows, bands, celebs have up for people to hit ‘Like’ and things can be posted for other fans to share? It’s not an actual account for the person, but a fan page for people to communicate through.

21. Nat says:

Don’t know If I’ve said it already but goodbyed and let’s have the show about Sam and Dean back finally.

• Emma says:

^THIS.

I’m so glad its going back to Sam&Dean vs the world(or evil Cas in this case). Plus Cas’s voice and the character overall always annoyed me so I’m happy to see him go.

22. Jo says:

I, for one, am so relieved that Eric is coming back for Season 7.

This whole season has been a bit of a scramble. There have been so many random plotlines and happenings that didn’t even get tied up properly. This Eve plot? It was quite sloppy and so out of place. Once Eve had died, there was nothing said about her. Not even a peep from any of her children. Who are now orphans, which they should’ve noticed by now.

Frontierland was a fantastic episode though, I think it was the only positive outcome of the Mother of All plot, which is a shame.

And the “Souless Sam” storyline. In the end, what was the whole point?

Season 6 felt different from the first few minutes (seconds) of Exile on Main Street. It felt ‘off’ somehow. Its storylines have dragged on for long and the development of the characters has been somewhat painful. At times, it seems as though Sam and Dean have become strangers.

Where has the bromance gone, maaan?

I was disappointed that Eric left for this season but I wanted to give Sera a chance, and I did. The season hasn’t been atrocious or anything and I know Sera is a good writer but perhaps she should stay at being just that.

I remember when episodes used to be full of excitement and life, interesting ties been delicately woven in and then creating HUGE bombs and…

…basically us being Kripke’d.

Now, each time I think I’m only halfway through an episode, it’s about to end. True, there have been some great episodes, key word being “some”. In previous seasons, there was that thrill of not knowing what’s going to happen and sitting on the verge of my seat as monsters came jumping out left and right.

Now it’s just moping at the Singer Salvage.

The adrenaline blew me away.

I’m also starting to get sick of the angels. They should’ve gone in season 5. This war Castiel keeps talking about? Where the hell has Raphael been this season? Knocking back whiskey in his/her lounge in heaven? Maybe in Venezuela not happening to notice this one little Castiel being sneaky.

Hopefully, with Eric’s presence the next season will be packed with action, 70’s rock, (although this is more of a budget problem) and the Impala rocking the highways like she should.

Once Dean fixes her. Damn, he’s gonna be pissed.

Now, more on Castiel…

I cannot BELIEVE many of you fans here. You refuse to watch Supernatural because Misha won’t be here?

“GUEST STAR” = “STILL ON THE SHOW”

I think it’s a good idea. For those who aren’t as interested in his role, he won’t be around as much. For those who wholeheartedly adore his angelic-godly-naive self, he’s still on the show! I love Cas, I do, but it’s always gonna be Sam & Dean for me.

As I mention that, ask yourselves everyone…

What has Supernatural always been about? From the beginning?

You got it. SAM & DEAN.
    The badass Winchester brothers.
    Two guys rolling in a sleek black Chevy Impala.
    Two men, saving people, hunting things.
    Kickin’ ass all year round.

Season 6 did have its ups and downs and I did question Sera’s work many, many times. However, I will stick with the show no matter what and I’m looking forward to all the craziness!

To those who say they’re ditching us, I really hope you come around. It saddens me that you think the show is about Castiel when it’s not. Again, I love Cas but Misha himself has said that Supernatural is about ” two brothers…”

With Cas or not, I’m still in for the ride! :D I’m looking forward towards Jared and Jensen’s amazing acting, what the writers will come up with and of course…

THE SEASON 7 GAG REEL.

• Marika says:

As I mentioned above, this spinning around two brothers driving around, fighting a bit but loving each other, saving people and kicking demon, vampire and other badies ass, started to bore me in season 3 (after buffy and angel, and at the same time with vampire diaries, true blood and so on). I ´ve seen enough of this stuff already. Maybe for me the show came to an end last night…

23. Lulz says:

The fact is his character and this storyline is no longer necessary.

• Ali says:

What role does Bobby play? What role does anyone play?

• Kate says:

I don’t know, when the “true fans” are constantly screaming “It’s about the brothers!!11!!”, I have to wonder just exactly what they envision as a new or sensational arc? Please do tell…oh, let me guess. The boys travel around the US killing monsters, meeting new and interesting people for one or two episodes before those new, interesting people are killed because Heaven forbid that anything or anyone could inject a little fresh air into the brother’s relationship. Sam will research on his computer and be smart and sensitive and Dean will drink, eat pie, chase women, and be crude.

Dark!Castiel will show up occasionally to “Mwahahaha”, Bobby will be consulted and call the boys “idjits”, Crowley will snark, and then everything will end with either Yellow Crayon speechifying and/or multiple deaths.

You’re welcome, Sera.

24. Jim says:

I did not like Castiel before, I’m marginally interested in his story now but I still hope this means they’re one step closer to Castiel being gone for good. Its way past time to weave him out.

25. Sheila says:

Whether he’s back or not his relationship with Dean as a friend is definitely over, nobody touches Sammy on his watch let alone uses him and breaks down his entire hell wall. Their relationship is clearly dunzo. I’m happy about it. And think the end of his character has been a bit of a time coming to be honest.

• A says:

I don’t know about that at all, actually. Sam did have to reunite himself eventually, and his Hell memories don’t look like they were all that bad. Some burning and stuff, which looked painful, but he was sneaking around and stabbing things shortly afterward.

I think Dean will forgive Cas. He’ll have a hard time with it, and he’ll struggle, but he eventually forgave Sam, and he’ll eventually forgive Cas, too. I hope Dean’s arc next season is saving Cas. <3 The foeyay will be off the charts!

• Bwa ha ha says:

I think the myth of sci-fi fans fans being more clever is nullified by this comment alone. You didn’t get the Ruby parallel at all, did you?

You have clearly not gotten anything about this show’s structure. And it has been spelled out, loud and clear, time and time again.

No wonder the producers had to dumb down the series.

• This show isn't Science Fiction says:

This show isn’t Science Fiction. At least know what genre you are watching before trying to sound intelligent newb.

• A says:

Yeah, I got the Ruby parallel. Cas was Sam, Crowley was Ruby. I guess YOU didn’t get it, but that’s not the show’s fault… they were pretty obvious with it, down to Cas killing a woman for her blood, powering up and successfully offing the big bad just as his demon ally betrays him.

26. Terry says:

I think this is a good decision. I love the character of Cas, but I also grew tired of the Angel story line. I think Season 7 is a great chance for them to rebuild the relationships of Dean and Sam back to the earlier seasons. Since then one has always not trusted the other.

As far as Cas going out evil..I did not take his turn to be truly evil. Power Hungry yes, but we have to see what his acts are as the new “god” before we can determine he is now evil.

Collins I have a feeling will still get alot of screen time next season.

27. sifichick says:

I was sadly and sorely disappointed by the final ep of the season. The civil war in heaven was kept at arms length for the majority of the season and now we’re supposed to suddenly care that Cas has gone off the rails instead of any true repercussions to Sam for Cas breaking down his safety wall? This season while hugely filled will potential was sadly horribly disorganized and frankly sloppy. I’d venture to bet there was very little actually storyboarding going on for the season and not much more for the eps.

Still… I love Supernatural, Jensen, Jared, Jim and even our beloved if absentee Krip. I will watch season 7, but I will lower my expectations.

28. RA says:

I thought the finale was fantastic! I think Castiel as the sinister new God is a fantastic plot idea and I can’t wait for Season 7 to start. What a great storyline for him and what a great new threat for the Winchesters. I do think it’s strange that he would go from a regular to a guest star, but the actor playing Bobby is in lots of episodes and he’s listed as a guest star, so maybe it’ll work like that.

29. supernatural luver says:

OMG you can’t do this!! Screw you! Cas is the best!! I want him and the Winchesters to be mates again, you better bring him on regulalry you sonofa***** cas is more than an angel, his an angel in a trench coat. And you don’t see them around very much! DEAN SAM AND CAS SWING ALL THE SAME WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you do make him come on the show every second or third ep!! He is one of my fav characters, after dean and sam of course! GRR this is so stupid…..

30. Allison says:

Not really surprising news, but reinforces my decision to abandon the mess this show has become after that dud of a finale is the right decision. I figure FanGirlGamble will continue on the Sammy Sue Limp Fic express with the endless drywall crumble likely sucking up much of next season the way the steaming pile of Soulless sucked up much of this one. I don’t enjoy Ms. Gamble’s vision of the show, nor do I enjoy her tunnel visioned fan servicing of her favorite at the expense of everyone else.

I found season five a disappointment after a stellar season 4, but hoped the things that went wrong would be recognized and addressed so gave this season a try. In spite of my feeling after the S5 finale that it couldn’t possibly get worse, it did. It’s quite clear which faction of fandom Gamble panders to. They want Sam to be the center of the universe? Check. We get 3/4 of a season of Soulless Sammy Sue and the Dry Wall (the latter of which is still stinking up the place). Limp Sammy Sue? Check. We get Sammy who suffered more than anyone in the history of suffering for over a century! Because? Apparently 2 archangels who wanted to kill each other for eons trapped together in a cage for eternity had nothing better to do with their time than to pull the wings off the fly that was trapped in there with them. They want Dean stripped of anything but being Sammy’s babysitter/enabler/savior/nursemaid? We get Lisa/Ben memory wiped out of his life and Castiel turning evil. Dean is once again left with no story and nobody but Sam (it’s beyond dysfunctional and claustrophobic at this point). They hate on Castiel/Misha and want him gone? We get Evil Cas and FanGirlGamble letting us know a day after the crapfest airs he’s demoted if not gone altogether after the first episode of S7.

I’m actually happy the ratings for the finale stunk, because the writing stunk, as it did for most of this painfully lackluster season. I’ll be enjoying Fringe on Friday nights next season.

• mobydick says:

Oh yeah, far better for Dean to be Castiel’s babysitter/savior. Where were you in S4 when Dean was the one suffering more than anyone on earth?

31. Michelle says:

I’m hoping that Cas is being phased out because he is going to get his own spin-off show. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least.
    Now, if only they can have God/Chuck bring back Gabriel to be his side-kick, and that is one show I would watch like crazy.

32. Lisa from Boston says:

I love Castiel! I also think the producers are morons if they don’t bring back Jeffrey Dean Morgan. They managed to bring back everyone else.

33. walkure says:

I am one who is not a fan, actually found out about who Sera and Kripke were reading all these comments and among other things had to go and google what ‘Destiel’ means (enlightening…)… I watch the show because is just fun and if a particular episode is kind of boring (sorry fans) I just skip it…Well… I catch this show when Castiel made his appearance and I loved the dynamic so much that I back tracked to previous seasons to know where they were coming from and I gotta say I skipped some episodes (because I found them boring-sorry fans again- how many monsters can you kill without the show being the same episode different monster? The whole apocalypse/angel-becoming-a-friend-&-learning-free-will issue was totally awesome in my opinion…everything good up until season 5…and then season 6 didn’t see much of Castiel and something was lacking, there is this whole momentum built around ‘the mother’ and then she is killed just like that and suddenly Castiel learned to lie with a straight face and wait! next he goes darker than black and ended up ‘the thing’ Winchesters tend to kill but on a whole godly level… and then we have an angel of the lord which listened to Dean and went against ‘the will of heaven’ out of loyalty and a new found free-will, and all he got in return for becoming a little bit too human was making wrong decisions trying to save humanity and having a personality transplant as someone here put it… not fun anymore…this character deserved better and for me the whole thing has become so convoluted and ‘don’t see where is heading anymore’ I am going to pretend season 6 didn’t happened, Dean is living a good life with Lisa, Castiel didn’t meddle in Sam’s affairs and when he went back to heaven Raphael didn’t have too many followers to become such issue…I have to say I am done watching this…

34. charin dickson says:

what the hell!? cass and the winchesters had goood chemistry. they were always being smart asses to each other, it was great!! but has as long as i can watch dean im happy!!!!!

35. Fernando says:

I’m a bit disappointed with the season finale. Castiel was my favorite character, and he is completely different now. Will they kill him next season? I’d only like that if they went totally Buffy and have what they had there, with dark Willow for a season, saving her in the end of it and making her a regular again in the last season.

36. Tricky says:

this makes me a little sad. i love castiel. i am happy he will be able to spend a little more time with his new son, but i am gonna miss him. i am wondering. bobby isnt on much, cas is gonna be on less, rufus is dead, so is balthazar, for the time being lisa and ben are gone. who exactly are dean and sam supposed to interact with. cause if it is ONLY with each other, that is a little strange. i too hope we see castiel as much as we do bobby.

and for the record. i do not believe this is castiel being evil, i think this is the monster souls making cas sick in a way. i want the winchester boys to save castiel even from himself. they are heroes to everyone, why not castiel?

37. bedb says:

Every season finale leaves us gasping for air….I don’t think evil Cass is him at all…same body…different angel. Just me. I’ll miss him….but the removal of a popular character often spells the doom of a show. Not always…but often.

38. Jeff says:

The Mother of All story line got enough screen time, considering it wasn’t even a main plot point. Just like Sam’s soul missing and Samps coming back, These were ALL problems that were caused by Castiel’s deal with Crowley. They were all issues that were created due to Castiel’s poor decision making.

The entire season has been about the aftermath of choosing “freedom of choice” over “peace on Earth”. They chose freedom of choice by derailing the Apocalypse. Castiel then had the chance to make his own decisions and he didn’t make the right ones and it ALL lead to Sam coming back soulless, releasing Eve, and the Campbell story line (which, was the weakest story line I will say). It also then lead to Lisa and Ben being put in danger, and now it has lead to Castiel becoming a power thirsty God.

Not everything needs to be spelled out with boring exposition and on the nose dialog. Look at the subtext and read between the lines. Castiel soaked up MONSTER SOULS and I believe it has a negative effect on him similar to Sam with Demon blood. Not only that, but it’s just as they say, absolute power corrupts all. Castiel has been overly prideful all season long. He was cocky and tried saving Sam and created a monster. That was just the beginning. He made a deal with Crowley instead of going to Dean, he has killed Angels, and also innocent humans as well (he had to kill a virgin for the purgatory spell). Soaking up 30 million MONSTER SOULS was the final corruption, and now, HE is also corrupted. It’s been a slow build up to this all season long.

Also, we haven’t seen the rest of Sam’s wall. He was a complete mess at the end of the episode. He was bleeding from the mouth, he was having flashes of hell. They won’t just ignore that.

I’m sorry, but I watch this show for Sam and Dean. I watch it for the brotherly relationship. I liked Castiel in season 4. He was a great guest character. They never should’ve appeased fans by making him a series regular in 5 and 6. He has taken away from the brotherly love and in season 7 we will have that back.

I think introducing Angels and Heaven and all that stuff was the right move for season 4, but it changed the show. It’s not a horror show based in reality any more. It’s a Fantasy show that touches on realism every so often. That’s fine. The show still entertains me. BUT, I miss the horror. I miss the road trips. I miss the classic rock. I miss “Bitch…Jerk…”. I miss apple pie. I miss Sam doing research. I miss Dean reading Busty Asian Beauties.

And btw, you Castiel fans: Castiel has ALWAYS been a liar, a manipulator, and a deceitful S.O.B. You don’t see it because you are blinded by his comic relief and his “sacrifices” for the boys.

First of all, WHO let Sam out of the panic room?! Castiel. Then, in season 5, not only does he not fess up to doing that, BUT he blames Sam and Dean every change he gets (even goes as far as beating dean to near death) for “breaking the world” and goes on to tell them “how much I’ve sacrificed”.

Okay, so Sam gets a little cocky. BUT, he believed what he was doing was correct. If he had known Lilith’s death was the last seal, he never would’ve killed her. Same goes for Dean. You think he would’ve given in to Alastair if he had known that it would’ve broken the 1st seal? No, of course not.

Sam then takes ALL THE BLAME for it, fesses up to his mistakes, comes clean, AND even jumps into the cage with the 2 most powerful Angels (at the time) for the SAKE OF THE ENTIRE PLANET. Talk about sacrifice.

This season I don’t think I even need to go into what Castiel has done.

Just because he helps the boys out from time to time, and has, yes, healed them and saved their lives, doesn’t erase all the lies and deceit that he does as well. It’s like going out and robbing someone, but then going to church on Sunday, asking for forgiveness “Ahh! All is well, again”, and then going out and doing it again. Sorry, doesn’t make you a good person or any less guilty.

I’ve seen this slow burn leading to Castiel becoming a power hungry Angel since season 4. Did the writers’ plan this since then? No, but it fits in with the character and it’s a great, natural progression that I think will add an entirely new feel, and layer to the show dynamic. We FINALLY will have a villain the boys will want to try and SAVE and redeem.

Think Anakin turning to the Dark Side over the course of 3 movies and becoming Dark Vader. Then, think about Vader’s slow redemption throughout the original trilogy, ending in his self sacrifice to save his son.

That’s Castiel’s story line and it’s wonderful.

• Name says:

Lets hope you are right. I could live with that. I think this is the kind of show everyone will sacrifice in the end.

• kelios says:

It’s like you read my mind :) Nice to see I’m not the only one who feels this way about Cas!

• Kelly says:

My thoughts exactly! Finally somebody who isn’t blinded by all the fangirliness and obsession over 1 character and can remain objective before the storyline presented to us, I really liked this season it was slow building okay but that has always been the plan, they said that they wanted this season to be a 22 hour long mistery and i think they totally pulled it off.That’s why this season seemed so out of place the goal was to keep us guessing and throwing in us in the wrong direction thinking that Eve was the big bad and what was happening with sam, i think it was brilliant and a vey smart way to explore the After Apocalypse thas been derailed by the boys

• Kate says:

Just as I thought re: my comment above. Apparently being a “true fan” means wishing for nothing new in the show, just the same old, same old. Why not just watch Season 1-3 over and over?

• MissZann says:

Wow!! You just said everything that I’ve been thinking throughout the entire season!! Right On!! And the best things that you back up what you’re saying with FACTS, not just emotion. Good job Jeff, I couldn’t have expressed it better if I tried for an hour to come up with something!!

• StillWithTheBitchJerkHuh says:

Bitch Jerk was actually only said correctly one single time on the show and alluded to a second time and a third time they didn’t say it correctly.

Your nostalgia is wishing for things that weren’t a huge part of the show anyway clearly judging by that comment alone.

I don’t think Castiel fans are the only ones wearing rose colored glasses when it comes to their viewpoint on the show.

People who want it to go back to just Sam and Dean and nobody else remind me of someone staring at a yearbook remembering all the good times and forgetting that there was some bad times in high school as well.

The entire first season to be honest. Scarecrow, Bugs, Hookman, The Benders, Route 666.

Yes all masterpieces of television.

Seriously put the yearbook down and step away from reminiscing about your high school crush. Everyone has moved onto college now. Grow up.

• Jeff B says:

Grow up?? How is what I said at ALL any indication that I need to
        “grow up” and am immature?

I in NO WAY said I want the show back to the way it was. I simply said I MISS those things. I never once said “I want it to be like seasons 1-3″. And btw, I have no bad memories from H.S. Don’t lump me in with your bad memories, bud. Just for the record, I am 27 and married. I moved on and have NO IDEA why “missing” past seasons of a show is an indication that I haven’t “grown up”.

Let’s say that I DID indeed say that, what’s wrong with reminiscing? I still don’t understand why it means I need to “grow up” or why what I said indicates I’m somehow immature.

Second of all, ALL those things I DID mention, are prime examples of HOW THEIR RELATIONSHIP USED TO BE. Am I stating I want it back to the way they were? You can’t go back to seasons 1-3. There were less things on their plate. They were only worried about saving each other and getting revenge on Azazal.

There’s more to it now and things have happened to them that have changed then forever.

What I am saying is that I want them to have BROTHERLY FRIENDSHIP once again. I want them to have each others backs. I want them to bicker and fight like brothers. I want them to look after each other. I want them in the Impala having conversations about how they are feeling and what their next move is. This is possible to accomplish without forgetting everything that has happened. This is possible to accomplish, without going backward to seasons 1-3, while also staying in the current frame of mind we are in now with Angels and Demons and the “bigger picture”.

Also, even if “Bitch…Jerk” was only said very few times, it’s called subtext. It’s apparent that they’ve said that a lot to each other and that is something they always say to one another. Just because it hasn’t happened on the show and what we have seen doesn’t mean it’s not important and hasn’t happened during things we haven’t seen. Again, read between the lines and learn to understand subtext within writing. You’ll realize you’ve just how much you’ve missed…

P.S. The episodes you mentioned, ALL have important things in them that add character development, even if the episodes themselves weren’t that great. Take “Bugs” for example. Horrible episode, yes, but it has WONDERFUL brother moments that add character development. This was the entire purpose of season 1, to get to know our 2 main characters and the world they live in. Season 1 is very very underrated and I sometimes wonder how many people have actually re watched those episodes.

• bedone says:

Yeah, your overuse of all caps, and ?? for emphasis pretty much cements you as the immature, fond of hearing himself speak type of person you purport not to be. Good on ya, Jeff. Do you really think talking over everyone else is going to make you right? The show you describe? The one you want to go back to? That’s the one that almost didn’t get a second season. I’m not even a fan of Castiel, but even I can see that he was not the lying manipulative bastard you seem to think he was. I don’t care if he comes back next year, but shouting your opinion with increasingly long diatribes against people who don’t share your viewpoint is only making you look desperate and close-minded. Please do shut up and let people be upset if they’re upset. I bet you rub your puppy’s nose in it’s own pee, too, right? That’ll teach ‘em.

39. Sumiko says:

With the exception of the Mother of All Monsters storyline I really enjoyed the last half of Season 6. Although I found the first half disappointing, I think in the end, they got it right. I know people love Cas, but I ultimately find the misguided, corrupted Castiel far more interesting than the terse, unavailable one from the beginning of the season. I hope Misha Collins will have the time to approach other roles now. He’s talented. The direction they were going in the beginning of the season was a waste of his acting talent. At least now when he is on the show he won’t be basically doing cameos. The way they handled Dean’s losses with Lisa, Ben, and Cas I felt showed him as a bit more of a mature character who no longer treats loss in a caviler. In the show’s story timeline, Dean should be around 30 by now, so it makes sense. I do hope that we will see Ben in the future – I still think he might be Dean’s son. I know it will take time for Sam’s “reintegrated shattered soul” bit to fully play out but I’m glad the brunt of it is over – because Sam’s character has been a bit weak all season, and I would like to see him as more of a factor next season. The Soulless Sam bits were interesting, but the broken Sam-Satan’s Punching Bag thing has beyond worn thin. I miss the days when he was a hunter, not a victim, and I hope the show is going back in that direction. I would like to see a less fragmented Sam. Finally, to those who do not understand the Cas quick turn around: I don’t find it so hard to understand. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The only remaining path for redemption seems to be for him to lose all of the power as Dean already suggested.

40. eee says:

no!no!no!no!no!no!

41. kelios says:

I’m thrilled to hear that Castiel’s and Heaven’s storyline will be minimized next season. I love Misha, he’s a great guy, but this is Sam and Dean’s story, not Castiel’s. I want the focus back on them and what’s happening in their lives.

I loved S6 and Sera’s interpretation of the story so far. Can’t wait to see what she brings us next season!

42. RedHawk says:

I’m fed up of reading your complaints about Cas not been a regular, what the hell did you do during Seasons 1-3, “I wish they would put an Angel in this”, well I’m sorry, he was great in Season 4, then he became regular and started to irritate me, then in 6 he appeared every so often and I was fine with that, and I like the character development as well, worst thing about this Season personally, why did Eve (Mother of All) have to die?
    PS that finale was awesome, Sam vs Sam, whats better than that, other than Sam and Dean vs Sam and Dean lol, but I say roll on Season 7 and many more
    PS (yes thats right 2 of these) I hate Jump the Shark!

• A says:

I watched and enjoyed S1-3, and I watched and enjoyed S4 and S5.1 to 5.4. After that, Show went downhill, but it was more due to whitewashing of Sam and trying to outdo Dean’s Hell arc with a bigger Sam Hell arc than anything to do with Cas.

So what was your point again?

43. J_hep says:

MISHAMIGOS UNITE

44. donna4210 says:

Sera…please tell me you know what you’re doing here. Cas is…well, Cas is Cas. One of my favorites (next to Sam and Dean of course – and the Impala). Cas’s dead-pan answers are part of his job. He’s the eternal “good guy” and I humbly disagree with your decision to send him down the darkside. However, I am not a writer, or producer, and I must trust the storyline (a brilliant one thus far) to you, Mr. Kripke & Mr. Edlund. Please don’t let us (the fans) down. Remember, Cas comes from angelic stock. Please treat him, and the boys (can’t forget the Impala) with care.
    Respectfully
    Donna4210

45. Jordy says:

EVERYONE LISTEN!!!

Jim Beaver has never been considered a “series regular”, yet look at how many episodes he has been. Just because Misha Collins is not technically a regular, he can still be in the majority of episodes.

Stop worrying so much about it. Nothing is being ruined, no one is messing anything up, characters aren’t disappearing.

46. xander200 says:

hope they don’t stay too long for the cas god arc.the boys are the important part of the story,they should focus more on that. and after season five btw. what happened to chuck? and finding god? maybe god will show up to correct castiel’s sense of justice. or the boys will try to god in order to put some sense to cas about freewill and the difficult choices we human have to endure, like dean who’s trying so hard to make him understand.

47. MissZann says:

THANK YOU for bringing that up! Everyone is so busy blaming Gamble, but has anyone stopped to think that maybe it was MISHA who wanted to move on to bigger & better things for his career??! If he goes ‘out’ as a hero, then there’s always the chance of someone/thing bringing him back, & maybe he’s just going to be too busy to come back… Or maybe he liked the idea of being a bad guy. All I’m saying is you can’t just jump to conclusions when no one from the show has even said anything about it, really!

and to be honest, I was getting really tired of all the angel stuff anyway… It was turning the show into a soap opera!

Remember when the shows were actually scary? Remember ‘Wendigo’, ‘Skin’, & ‘Scarecrow’ I’d love to see them get back to that, where each episode can stand alone, but still have that strong family connection, when Sam was the most important thing in Dean’s life, & they actually fought their own battles, instead of having an angel come down & just smiting everything FOR them.

I think that the brothers have a lot left to offer us, story-wise. And I can’t wait for next season!
    And don’t forget my pie!! Jerk! Bitch! ;)

48. Jamie says:

It’s about damned time someone decided Castiel was nothing more than dead weight on the show. The show has always been about 2 brothers, not 2 brothers and an angel. Anytime the writers started to come up with a good storyline for either Sam or Dean, it had to be ruined by throwing Castiel into the mix. We were promised multiple times that the show would get back to the flavor of Season 1 and yet anytime it started to happen, oops we need to add Cas in here to give Misha something to do.

Sorry writers, the flavor of Season 1 was 2 brothers fighting evil. Can we get back to that please?

49. Kat says:

Is there some law that says that if you become a showrunner or producer you must become a raging egomaniac with no common sense and a burning desire to make stupid decisions? SPN is doing GREAT! People LOVE the show and Cas is a big part of that! SPN is not broken and the chemistry between Dean, Sam, Bobby and Cas is a big part of that. Limiting Cas time is a HUGE mistake! And while I agree the show is about the boys they are not an island. Also, SPN has come along way from the two boys chasing yellow eyes. The world of SPN has evolved – it’s a shame the showrunners refuse to do the same! Sera needs to go before she completely destroys the show!!!!

50. Robert Gittings says:

I have a feeling that God Cass will have to face off with the origional and almight God and eventually release the overwhelming powers he had gained. Perhaps renewing his faith in his Father.

Perhaps Cass will try and stop demons from ever being created by destroyed hell.

Some how the story of demons and angels needs to come to a close so the boys can live a normal life without the need to hunt.