Supernatural Exclusive: Misha Collins Won't Be a Series Regular for Season 7

Brace yourself, Supernatural fans (as if Friday night’s finale didn’t already rob you of most every breath): Though his alter ego now is a bigger force than ever to be reckoned with, Misha Collins will not be returning to the CW series as a regular next season, TVLine has learned.

After making a rock star entrance in Season 4, Castiel quickly became a fan favorite, but the Winchesters’ angel ally has gone from heavenly to sinister this season. In Friday night’s finale, he opened the door to purgatory –- inside himself! –- and became a soul-powered God. And nobody was going to get in his way. Not Raphael, not Crowley, not even the Winchesters, whom he gave the ultimate choice in the show’s final minutes: allegiance, or death.

So why the decision to not bring back Collins as a series regular, just when Cas seems to be at his most… almighty?

“When it comes to Supernatural, our philosophy is that everyone moves in and out and weaves in and out of the story, obviously with the exception of Sam and Dean,” executive producer Sera Gamble tells TVLine. “We love Misha. We love and adore the character of Castiel. His character developed to this extent and went in this unexpected direction because we were so inspired by him.”

The season finale cliffhanger “is a very pivotal moment in Cas’ development,” Gamble adds, describing the character as “transformed.” “Basically, that’s what we’ll be exploring next season, so there’s just a big change.”

A change so big it calls for less of a focus on Cas and the goings-on in heaven? While there will be angel stories in Season 7, “they will probably be more self-enclosed,” reveals Gamble.

“[In Season 6], we consciously kept some of this angel civil war off camera because we are interested in what happens on Earth,” she explains. “We are interested in what happens in the purview of the boys. We feel that in terms of what we can accomplish, the scope of the show, our storyline is best accomplished where the Impala can go.”

Collins is expected to return for the Season 7 opener, but how much of a presence he will have on the show beyond that, if any, is a mystery Gamble can’t delve into “without giving away a lot about the premiere,” she says.

Two other names familiar to Supernatural fans however will be back – creator Eric Kripke and executive producer Ben Edlund. Gamble assures us that despite being left off a CW press release touting next season, Kripke and Edlund are hard at work on the seventh cycle. “Their titles have changed,” she explains. “There are a lot of technical and contractual reasons that people’s titles change that don’t necessarily reflect their level of involvement or commitment to the show. … They’ve been in the [writers] room with me every day this week.”

Supernatural fans, are you disappointed that Misha Collins won’t be a series regular next season? What did you think of Cas’ dark turn in the season finale? And what are your hopes for Season 7?

Comments (1,048)

• I hate the direction they’ve taken Cas, specially now when they say he won’t be on the show much. I love the Dean & Sam story, but it is much better with Cas involved. I hate that they are taking him out of the show and will fix it.

Comment by Denny – May 21, 2011 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If characters need to die when they stay too long, how about Bobby then? Talk about double standards. But we all know why he’s still around.

Comment by M. – May 21, 2011 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You mean because he’s an integral part of the show? How he is a valuable source of mythological information while simultaneously providing Dean and Sam with emotional support and stability? How he’s known them since they were children and loves them like his own sons? Yeah, I can see why Bobby’s still around. Say what you want, personally I love Cas, but Bobby has always been more important to Sam and Dean on an emotional level.

Comment by Rana – May 21, 2011 01:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, because he doesn’t threaten the oh-so-precious botherly bond. He’s an old dude who can’t be anything but uncle figure.

and honestly, it’s about time those guys did their own damn research.

Comment by M. – May 22, 2011 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness. Misha has been phoning it in this last season, and it’ll be great to get the focus back on Dean and Sam.

Comment by Cassie – May 21, 2011 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hate it when people start jumping to conclusions about episodes that haven’t even filmed yet. Season 6 just ended, the finale was awesome, and some of you are already complaining about Season 7. I like Cas/Misha too, but this show hasn’t let me down yet and I’m sure they’ll come up with something great for him next season. They come up with brilliant stuff every season, so I’m not worried. The purpose of the show is entertainment, so I plan to continue to watch my favorite show and not waste my time complaining about every little thing. SN is still better than 90% of the garbage on television nowadays and I’m just thrilled that there’s a 7th season to look forward to.

Comment by Carrie – May 21, 2011 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea agree with you lets just wait even thought its more exciting to debate about what could happen . I read somewhere Kripke said he loves castiel as a Char. and that he is his Fav. char. so why would he let Sera just kill him ? THe writers always get back to the fans wishes or? Wasnt it like this always? Lets wait for september and then we’ll see , i just got that every season spn is renewed everyone is complaining about every little piece of dust .

Comment by Nia – May 21, 2011 02:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a cliffhanger, they’re supposed to be cliffy! I trust the writers (yay kripke!) to do a good job giving cas redemption and a proper closure with the boys (and by that I of course mean dean). Misha wasn

Comment by Loafof – May 21, 2011 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually bothered by the “Supernatural is only about Dean and Sam, the other characters just weave in and out” idea. It disrespects the long run of Bobby and Cas (and the actors who play them). The show has changed and evolved. We’re entering season 7. If I wanted this to be about Sam and Dean only, I’d rewatch seasons 1-3 over and over, ignoring everything that came after.

Hell, most people will agree that it was the Heaven story that was most interesting this year and the Dean and Sam stories that were either flawed (Sam’s soul) or a complete bust (the Campbell family back from the dead.

As far as I’m concerned, Supernatural is no longer about 2 brothers. It’s about 4 brothers: Sam, Dean, Bobby, and Cas. It’s a tight cast that works well. Cas (and Bobby) are not Jo and Ellen. To compare them is apples to oranges. Those were minor characters in the long run and these are not.

I was actually hoping for the complete opposite of this news: Cas “overloading” at the end of this storyline and becoming fully human, joining Sam and Dean on the road, learning how to be human and helping them hunt monsters. The dramatic AND comedic possibilities for that are huge.

I am, for the first time [I]ever[/I], worried about the direction of the show. Especially the idea of giving us a cliffhanger such as the one we got tonight. So what now? That cliffhanger leads into a story that resolves in one episode? I’m curious to see how this all plays out.

Comment by Jeff – May 21, 2011 12:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think I commented on one of your earlier replies, but I just wanted to say bravo to this post! It’s exactly how I feel so thank you.

Comment by Melissa – May 21, 2011 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love how you think about that “its no longer all about Sam and dean ” thing yu awesome. Agree.

Comment by Nia – May 21, 2011 02:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been reading your comments throughout and I agree with all of them. Kudos, man.

Comment by Jenny Finster – May 21, 2011 04:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now that would be cool. Not for him to become that dork he was before, I mean the personality of the guy whose body he took but for him to be the same Cass but human would be great. I feel like the show is losing steam and the writers are running on empty. Plus this show is called supernatural not Spiritual. I feel like all the God, angel and demon stuff is getting old and frankly a little offensive.

Comment by Danny – May 21, 2011 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is pretty much just what I wanted to say.

Comment by J – May 21, 2011 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree Completely

Comment by Dee – May 21, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blegh. Seeing this makes me feel even less pleased about the season finale, which already kinda felt like it was throwing Castiel under a bus so that the writers could attempt to move back to the format of season 1&2. Which right now would suck, considering that Sam and Dean have become so emo and hypocritical as of late that I don’t think I could stand a season where they (along with Bobby, who’s sarcasm is also wearing a bit thin on me at this point) are as much the focus of the show as they were in the very beginning.

Misha/Castiel were a godsend these past seasons, precisely because he was one of the few main characters who wasn’t always bitching about his problems (and even when he did complain, he didn’t sound like a whiny pre-teen who was mad because things weren’t going his way). Plus the character’s just awesome in general, and it’s annoying how forced his change felt in the last couple episodes–he admits to God that he was experiencing pride and arrogance in the past in the Cas-centric episode, and then acts super arrogant and dismissive in these two episodes? As if he’s never been the character who learns from his mistakes? While I assume they’re going to explain the most recent development as being a result of the souls corrupting him in some manner and not due to him actually thinking he’s worthy of being God, his development in these episodes feels completely off, and I hope that it gets rectified pretty soon into the seventh season.

Comment by tacocohcvuli – May 21, 2011 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want my Cas Redemption arc! That is all.

Comment by M L – May 21, 2011 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stupid iPhone fat fingers combo ruined my previous comment. What I was saying is that misha wasnt a regular in seasons 4 (& 5?) and featured in more episodes than in this season (2 thirds of it featured very little misha) so I assume they’re just yanking our chain making us think cas is gonna go down as a big bad. Just good old fashioned teasing. And cas the angel has been a far too easy go to solution for the boys for too long, it’s definitely time to mix things up a bit and challenge the brothers again. Have some faith.

Comment by Loafof – May 21, 2011 12:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you. Nowhere in the article say that Misha is leaving the show. I didn’t know the numbers but I felt like he had much more of a presence as a guest star than in this season.

Also agree with Cas making it too easy for the boys in a fight. I loved the first half of the finale, when (spoiler) Sam and Dean went in to save Lisa and Ben and (mostly Dean) kicked a$$.

Comment by Glow – May 21, 2011 02:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And you Nailed it too ! Who said he is going to get off the show at whole? Imsure we’ll see him again :))

Comment by Nia – May 21, 2011 02:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve hate the whole Heaven n’ Hell Judaic/Christian Theology since they introduced that crap in season 4.

Here’s to hoping they drop that crap about actually focus on supernaturals [of Earth] and other mythologies that far predate that crap.

If I want Monotheism I can be bored to death at some useless Church.

Comment by Marc – May 21, 2011 12:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. It’s gotten rather preachy. Plus all the angels are evil, demons are evil so basically the whole world is evil and Heaven is evil. It’s so cynical. I was excited when they brought up Cthulhu because I thought they were going to go somewhere with that. Maybe they could deal with some Pagan Gods in the time before Christ. That would be cool. The Green Man lol.

Comment by Danny – May 21, 2011 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe, this time, the “original” God will reappear (Chuck ?) and help the brothers to fix Cas ?

Comment by nicolas – May 21, 2011 12:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they kill Cas off as a bad guy instead of redeeming him I’m done with the show. Season 6 was almost all about Sam (and I never liked the self centered character to begin with) and Dean as usual pushing everyone to save Sam even when bigger matters were looming.

If Misha asked for less air time to spend more time with his wife and new baby then I’m ok with this. However if it turns out Gamble is radically changing a fan favorite so she won’t have to worry about hate mail when she kills him off then I’m done. I’ll just keep rewatching seasons 4 and 5.

Comment by Michele – May 21, 2011 12:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I WILL BE SO ANGRY IF CASTIEL IS KILLED. I love what misha brought to the show, this is a disaster. what were they THINKING AAARRGGHHH. I wanted my Cas back not evil god cas who is obviously going to be killed in next season’s premiere. I am not happy right now. >:(

Comment by Cassandra – May 21, 2011 01:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bitch and Moan. Sam fans didn’t like when his character was assasinated, Dean fans do not like the lack of storyline, and Cas fans are pissed because either Cas is ‘dunzo’ or he’s not a ‘regular’. Just accept it folks, watch the damn show or roll the hell out.

Comment by Lani – May 21, 2011 01:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said! All this fandom every seems to do now days is moan about one thing or another.

Comment by Loz – May 21, 2011 04:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like where I see this going. I think it was out of character for Sam and Dean to more or less ignore when Cas was talking about Raphael re-starting the apocalyse in episode 20 (they’d fought so hard and lost so much to stop it, but they didn’t even blink), and for them to basically abondon Cas when he needed them most. And I don’t buy Cas going darkside. It feels like a cheap ploy to stir up the fandom and add shock value. I get that in this show noone is sacred except Sam and Dean, and even they are not above corruption or death, I have come to expect this. But I just don’t know if I can except this latest development, it feels cheap, dirty and sloppy. If they want to write Cas out fine, I’ll deal with that heartache, but not like this. Cas had too much good in him from the outset to end up like this. This is just wrong, and breaks from the core of who the character is. I would have rather he had died at the end of season 5, and gone out as hero than to see him reduced to some angel on a God complex. He’d seen where that leads, and wouldn’t have made these decisions.
    I will continue to watch the show in hopes that they fix this. And will probably continue to watch even if they don’t as long as they start writing the characters as true to themselves. But for Dean to have never asked Cas prior to mid season what was going on how things were going, for Cas to throw off Dean’s admission that they were like family and then decided that they are with him or against him? Come on! Cas defied heaven for Dean, died for him more than once…I just don’t buy it, loyal Cas fan or no. I don’t by it as a writer.
    I have always liked the focus on family and loyalty in this show, and was gratified to see them kind of focus that family doesn’t have to be blood. It made me feel better to see that kind of love and devotion between blood and friends, but this new turn is all about ultimate betrayal and I have enough of that in RL. I don’t need anymore in my escapist fiction. I hope they fix it, I really do, and I hope they remember who the characters they are writing are.

Comment by nghtykttyksss – May 21, 2011 01:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well that makes my life much simpler. I won’t be watching the show anymore. Sera Gamble has been a horrible showrunner and Misha has been the only thing I’ve been watching the show for.

Comment by Dilys – May 21, 2011 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool. I like Misha/Cas, but I’m over angels the same way I was over demons in season 3. Maybe Gamble et al having less things to juggle will result in more consistent writing. Also, serious LOL at the majority of these comments. This fandom is not only hateful, it’s a bit crazy.

Comment by Dana – May 21, 2011 01:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You telling me people go over board when it comes to Misha sometimes. I liked the guy too but get a grip.
      Hes still on the show damn.

Comment by Louis – May 21, 2011 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • we need misha! :( i cant even imagine the show without him being a regular. hes become one of the most important people in the show. it just wouldnt be the same without him… :(

Comment by kaylee anne – May 21, 2011 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Finally they got rid of that talented Misha Collins guy. So let’s get back to Sam and Dean YELLING AT EACH OTHER!

Comment by Stevie – May 21, 2011 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL. Yeah, Sam and Dean need to fight more.

Comment by Michael – May 21, 2011 01:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We need misha! i cant imagine him not being a regular anymore :( hes become one of the most important people in the show. it just wouldnt be the same without him :(

Comment by kaylee anne – May 21, 2011 01:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This news are kinda freaking me out. I hope they don’t kill off Cas as the big bad, that would be awful. After everything he’s done the past three years and everyhing he’s done for the boys he can’t just end up as the villain! He NEEDS to be redeemed first, so he better be back as a guest star, juts like Bobby is.

Comment by MJ – May 21, 2011 01:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IF THE MINIONS CALL DOWN MISHA WASNT A REGULAR IN SEASON 4 IN SEASON 5 AS WELL. IN BOBBY WASNT A REGUALR FOR A WHILE TOO.
    THEY JUST PLAYED IT BY EAR.
    SO CALM DOWN TUNE IN NEXT SEASON IN SEE WHERE IT GOES, YOU KNOW MISHA GONA BE IN MORE EPISODES NEXT SEASON, BUT IF SUPERNATURAL GO FOR A SEASON 8 HE MOSTLIKELY WILL BE DONE.
    MY GUESS OUT OF 22 EPISODE MISHA WILL BE IN ABOUT 10.

IN FOR THE DEAN GIRLS JENSEN SAID NEXT SEASON WILL PROBLY BEEN MORE DEAN CENTRIC NEXT YEAR. SO ALL YOU HE HAS NO STORY LINE CAN END.

Comment by Lex – May 21, 2011 01:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can I please ask where he said it? Jensen, I mean. I’m not trying to say it’s not true, just trying to find more info about it. Was it at Asylum?

Comment by timotey – May 21, 2011 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shouting is not good Lex! No caps please.

Comment by JenniA – July 8, 2011 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Misha Collins didn’t want to be a regular? The guy has a life outside the show, a baby, a charity, maybe he wants to pursue a career outside of this show. Also no one said he was dying let alone leaving for good so please calm down rabid Cas fans.

Misha must be fine with it cause there hasn’t been any news about any conflict between him and tptb.

Seriously, some of these posts are crazy.

Comment by NotYet – May 21, 2011 01:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really, really disappointed! But hey, maybe this opens a backdoor to his own spinoff show..? Sad though, as I loved Castiel..
    anyway, I will stick through the show, as I have from the beginning, but will definitely miss Cas most of all..no other character has ingratiated himself so much and made himself so likable as he has..

Comment by Vanny – May 21, 2011 01:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d take what Sera Gamble says with a grain of salt,
    If the network deems Castiel as a fan favourite, they’ll give Sera the short shove with her plans to get rid of castiel.

Comment by david – May 21, 2011 02:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG. Please let this be a joke. Sam went through a huge personality change and then was fixed. Please let Cas be fixed! Revert him back to normal at once! (please)

Comment by Micro – May 21, 2011 02:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Castiel and I’m very disappointed. I don’t want to watch the Dean Show.

Comment by damnmylife – May 21, 2011 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You do realize right that this show is about two brothers, has been from day one. It’s not about one or the other or two brothers and an angel or just Cas, just saying….

Comment by Loz – May 21, 2011 04:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t you mean the Sam Show?

Comment by JenniA – July 8, 2011 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is horrible news. I doubt I will be as committed to viewing the show as I once was. I agree Sam and Dean are the show. But, Castiel was definitely a reason to tune in. Really a huge disappointment.

Comment by MJ – May 21, 2011 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that’s cruel. The fandom has loved Castiel since day 1. He became part of the story as much as the Winchesters. It doesn’t matter if this is Sera’s or anyone’s decision, it’s cruel. We will miss Castiel more than any other character in the show.

Comment by Ellen – May 21, 2011 02:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You nailed it . Short and right .

Comment by Nia – May 21, 2011 02:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. Short and sweet and the essence of what everyone who loves Castiel is feeling.

Comment by Jenny Finster – May 21, 2011 04:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Couldn’t be happier. The show is Sam and Dean and we didn’t get much of that especially the second half. The show needs that now more than ever. And having more Castiel was a detriment to Misha if you ask me, he can’t act and I think tptb realised that the more they gave him they more it sucked.

His character was as boring as hell anyway. There was never any friendship it was as made up as Lisa and Ben for Dean and now we can get back to the true relationship and stop this fanservice.

YAY for Team Winchester.

Comment by ami – May 21, 2011 02:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • BYE CAS :D

YAY TEAM WINCHESTER!

Comment by Jet – May 21, 2011 02:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Team Free Will for the win! I liked the show well enough in the first three seasons but fell madly in love when it expanded to include Cas. I have no desire to see the show go backwards to a two person story again. It may seem incredible to some but Cas has become my deal breaker. How well he’s integrated into the story and whether he lives or dies will determine how passionately I am about the show next season. Of course, I know logically that this is a show about the brothers Winchester, but sometimes the heart overrules the head.

Comment by M L – May 21, 2011 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just because someone is not listed as a regular does not mean they are not going to be in most or a lot of episodes. Remember the character Tara on Buffy the Vampire Slayer? She was on for a few seasons before she was listed as a regular. Edward Hermann was in Gilmore Girls almost every episode and never listed as a regular.

I think the important thing here is that the Cas character went from virgin angel ready to back the Winchesters in a minute, to defiant angel ready to smite the boys in a minute. That is a huge change for the Supernatural story.

Now as far as the Supernatural mythology is concerned, I am happy the writers are playing with the fallen angels and giving them the seven deadly sins. The writers have made the demons and fallen angels more humanized with each episode and a joy to watch.

My only quibble is I think the Season 5 season finale was the best so far, as it could have also ended the series on a satisfying note.

But I am thrilled for a Season 7.

Comment by TVDIVA – May 21, 2011 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Mischa/Cas but Sam and Dean most especially Dean are why I watch Supernatural.

Comment by mrs.robinson – May 21, 2011 02:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No they have not loved him at all. Just a vocal group, there is alot that can’t stand this character at all.

Comment by Tina – May 21, 2011 02:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Castiel your blind item?

I hope not, that would suck :( But “Collins is expected to return for the Season 7 opener, but how much of a presence he will have on the show beyond that, if any, is a mystery” doesn’t bode well for him…

Comment by timotey – May 21, 2011 02:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the problem now with this fandom.
    You have dean girls, sam girl in now Minions.
    Can everybody just chill out in watch the show.
    In just because there not listed as a regular doesn’t mean there not on the show.
    In if you look at the brief paragragh about season 7 there pretty much talking about Cas.

Comment by Josh – May 21, 2011 02:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was just horrible. Sorry, I adore Kripke as a evil genius but this wad BAD,BAD. I love Cas – and it was completely unnecessary to do this to him!

Comment by Anneh – May 21, 2011 02:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • .. and that’s when SUPERNATURAL jumped the shark.

Comment by Stevie – May 21, 2011 02:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? Joss Whedon did the same thing with Willow and redeemed her at the end. Why couldn’t the same thing happen with Castiel?

Comment by timotey – May 21, 2011 03:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because they’re heavily implying they’re gonna whack him after the season premiere?

Comment by Ali – May 21, 2011 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was that a shark I just saw?

I’m not disappointed about Misha not being a regular cast. Well, I am but that’s not what bothers me most. In season 5 and 6 he was more of a recurring character than a regular cast anyway and I loved him just like that. That’s not what makes me mad. What makes me mad is what they’ve done to his character.

Of all the things they could have done to Cas, this was the worst. If they just wanted to drop the character (for budget reason or otherwise), they could have just killed him or let him go back to heaven and cut all the heaven/earth ties… Or just do something to make him a recurring character and not a regular cast. Cas’ fans would have been sad and all but would still love the character… I probably still would have watched the show.

But no! They totally ruined his character out of nowhere. Not just starting from season 6/7 but even season 4 Cas is tainted now…

I’m gonna be in denial season 6 ever happened and I don’t know if I’m gonna watch season 7. Maybe just the pilot to see if by any miracle, the writers changed their mind and by some miracle turn of event they manage to redeem Cas… But I’m doubtful they can do that.

Comment by Anne – May 21, 2011 03:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have not seen season 6 yet, I´m from Germany. But I was really shocked and disappointed when I read that Cass goes evil and now he´s taken off the show?!
    This can´t be true! I will miss him for sure! I´ve read many comments here and it seems that 90% seem to love Cass and they don´t want him to be taken off the show!
    How about someone forwards all those comments to Sera Gamble and the CW?
    Maybe they´ll change their mind if they see all those reactions….
    I think it´s worth a try :-))

Comment by mia – May 21, 2011 03:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I guess I won’t be tuning in for season 7. This season was such a disgusting mess. With Becky Gamble in charge, again, and another season of Samnatural, I will just skip it. I don’t need to watch another season of Dean being all about “Me, me me” boy Sam, and without Misha to even give the show any interesting characters for Dean to interact with, screw it, and after the failure of season 6, I have to laugh at the stupidity of the PTBs to make the same mistake again. Whatever SPN, you were a great show from season 1-4, too bad it’s taken a deep dive since then.

Comment by disgusted – May 21, 2011 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As Much as I love Misha and like Cas I’m happy that he’s not going to be a series regular, the show is about the brothers and I’ve kind of had enough of angels. I want the season 1 and 2 feeling of the show back which we have actually seen a bit of this season. And to people saying they aren’t going to watch anymore because of this, well thats your lose and it’s not like he’s leaving altogether. The show is about the brothers! Team Winchester all the way!!

Comment by Loz – May 21, 2011 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I think this makes sense. I love the character of Castiel as much as the next person, but if this is the way the show is going, I’m interested to see whats going to happen. Though this season had its bad moments with episodes, I feel that Gamble knows what the hell she is doing and lets not forget that Kripke does have some say in what happens still. Oh and one more important thing about Kripke, he LIKES to screw people over. So finding this news out isn’t all that shocking. But it will be interesting to see how the boys will react to all of this. Especially Dean. But saying that this show is going to suck just because Misha isn’t a regular is going a bit extreme. You don’t know what they got instore for us and to jump to conclusions so far in advance seems a bit overboard. I say give SPN a chance for season 7. Again, we have no idea of what is instore and we could be pleasantly surprised.

Comment by Lexie – May 21, 2011 04:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news I’ve heard in a long time, it should be back to basics and back to the boys with obviously appearances made by a dark dark God at times, good way for him to go out of regular and good news for the show. It needs to make changes for each new season and we the fans will stick with it whatever. Also Misha has a baby i’m guessing he wants to have some time with him too.

Excellent news for the show I think.

Comment by Chad – May 21, 2011 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m celebrating the fact that he will NOT be a regular since I”ve hated Castiel all along and find Misha’s acting bland ..
    He is the weak link on the show and I haven’t enjoyed Supernatural since his introduction..
    I’m so ready for the show to get back to Sam and Dean since it was these two which captured my attention in the first place ..
    I hated the whole Castiel story arc and cringed watching how untalented Misha was.. He is so bad and I really don’t care about Cas at all so HALLELUJAH about his ultimate demise on the series and about time to get rid of the deadwood !!

Comment by Pamela – May 21, 2011 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like Cass, but he’s been overused and his character shoe horned into this show, seasons too long. To blame Sera for anything and she and kripke are not my favorites is ludicrous especially after kripke drove the show into ditch in Seasons 4 and 5 when he got all dewy eyed over Cass and threw the brotherhood under the bus. Running Sam over with it a few times to keep Cass on screen. Season 4 is when the show lost it’s highest number of viewers over ONE MILLION of them! A quarter of it’s fan base and Season 5 lost many too about half that number.

Fans left because Supernatural lost its heart, the brotherhood, the boys relationship and the love between them The two of them against the world. That’s what the show started with and underneath it all even when the show lost its way,has always been about! Not Castile! He should have been and always stayed a secondary character not over saturated the show.

Finally the show got back on track later in season 6 with returning the focus of the show to the brothers and reinstating the brotherly love and we have some great episodes even the Castiel centered (The man Who Would be King)was well done and we got the finale. The first part centered on Dean and his life and the danger it can cause to those who he cares about and the second about the wall falling in Sam’s head and this should have been a mostly Sam/Dean centered episode, it belonged to them but instead it was about Apocalypse 2.0 created to keep Cass in the show, and Angels and Cass and more Cass. Kripke said the Angel storyline was exhausted after Season 5 yet still the Angels were present in S 6 and Cass was the main event in the finale overshadowing the boys in the stupidest ending ever. It made Supernatural and the writing team looks like a joke their writing look like a joke. A bunch of clowns who keep finding/creating yet another reason this one the stupidest ever to keep Castile in the show. kripke sold out along time ago with staying true to his vision of this show and it looked like he finally was getting things right (not ever setting things right) and we would have come full circle in Season 7 and the show would finally return to its true essence with being about the boys,saving people, hunting things as it is the family business. The first good sign after that bad cartoon of an finale is Cass not being a regular

Comment by Cheryl Wiehr – May 21, 2011 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fans left the show because it was getting boring with all the Sam, Sam, Sam. Cas was barely on this season and the first half was all about Sam.

The show lost fans because they got bored with a redundant storyline of what is wrong with Sam. Maybe if it had more Dean and Cas and a storyline for Dean in the beginning of this stupid mess the show wouldn’t have lost fans.

The thought of Dean going back to his self-centered brother and being all about his self-centered brother has become revolting for me.

I don’t feel Becky Gamble will ever allow Dean to have his own legitimate storyline, not something that was a back burner story like the Lisa and Ben one, and she will continue to focus on Sam as the special wonder of the world and his dim brother Dean.

Her catering to the Samfans have driven most of the Dean fans out, and now she is willing to lose most of the Cas fans. I’m sure it will make her very happy, but this fan has had enough of Gamble’s Sam fetish fantasies.

And if Let it Bleed is any sign, I can say that as a writer, she really sucks.

Comment by stella – May 21, 2011 05:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m bored with Dean, Dean, Dean.

Comment by mobydick – May 21, 2011 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly! Sam fans may be cheering Cas’s demise, but they’re gonna be the only ones. No one else wants the Sam Show.

Comment by Ali – May 21, 2011 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No one else wants the Dean show either.

Comment by mobydick – May 21, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m kinda glad Cas isn’t going to be a regular for next season. I was kind of getting annoyed with his character, and I really enjoyed the episodes that didn’t feature him so heavily, or even at all. In my opinion it was a great twist ending, making the good guy now sirta the bad guy. I can’t wait to see where Sera takes Season 7.

Comment by Sian – May 21, 2011 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I was one of the few people who actually enjoyed the angels (outside of Cas). Loved Gabriel and Balthazar, loved the antagonism of the angels and demons. Though I liked the monster of the week concept. After a while that gets dry and you need to watch more than that. I love all the characters: Sam, Dean, Cas, Bobby, Crowley, etc.
    and I get so annoyed when I read some of these comments and the infighting amongst supernatural fans is just crazy. It almost takes things to the level of beliebers and twihards. I hate crazy fans like that.

I get annoyed when ppl say “Well I started watching from episode 1″ just to make their point. I mean come on, just because you saw it first doesn’t mean you love it more than a person who comes along after you. I’ve watched it from episode 1 but that doesn’t make me any bigger of a fan than say someone who first began in season 3.

But what I think is all those “shippers” out there who can’t appreciate the other characters shouldn’t be saying their the ultimate fan or true fan or whatever because one man doesn’t make a show. Just please take your ships and sail away because you don’t need to spread the hate just to get your way.

In the end, everyone cannot get what they want so suck it up or If you truly despise how things turn out theres the door.

Comment by fiona – May 21, 2011 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel the same about all of the bickering. I mentioned having seen it since episode one to prove the point that I wasn’t watching only for Castiel. I don’t think I’m a bigger fan than anyone because of that.

I know that wasn’t directed at me I just felt the need to say it, heh.

Comment by Jenny Finster – May 21, 2011 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely fiona! Dead on it!

Comment by JenniA – July 8, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, now that I’ve had a little time to calm down, I want to make something clear:

I love the show.
    I loved the finale.
    I love Sam.
    I love Dean.
    I love Bobby.

I don’t want any of these characters over another.
    I think Castiel’s story this season parallels Sam’s with the demon blood.
    I will not quit watching the show.
    I have watched since episode one and to borrow a sports term, I am not a “fair weather fan.”

I just don’t like being lied to in a press release the day before the finale. That press release said Misha Collins would be back as a regular next season. People asked if it was for real that he would be a regular since it was in a press release and those people were reassured.

So I breathed a sigh of relief and watched and enjoyed the finale, excited at all the possible exciting twists they could take the Castiel character on next season.

I still enjoy the finale after reading this news.

I do not however, enjoy the possibility that because he will not be a regular next season that his importance is being dismissed.

I understand that just because he won’t be a regular does not mean he won’t be on the show. Jim is not a regular and is on the show quite a bit.

It is THIS line that worries me:

“Collins is expected to return for the Season 7 opener, but how much of a presence he will have on the show beyond that, if any…”

IF. ANY.

That does not compute.

You made him family. Dean said he was like a brother. Castiel is a Winchester to me. The show is about brothers.

It’s going to break my heart into pieces if his character ends up gone forever and unremdeemed and or permanently ill-thought of by Sam, Dean and Bobby.

Supernatural powers that be, please be listening to this. I know it’ll always be about Sam and Dean and that everyone dies on your show. I know the score. Just please don’t take our nerd angel away forever, okay?

Comment by Jenny Finster – May 21, 2011 04:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I think it’s disgusting that they lied to us. Know why? Because they probably feared people would boycott the finale if they already knew Castiel was gonna get axed after the season premiere next year.

Absolutely revolting behavior, and a complete betrayal of the fans.

Comment by A – May 21, 2011 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!! IM SO HAPPY ABOUT THIS. It was like I was kind of watching a spin-off of Supernatural. Not getting enough of Sam and Dean who are the heart and focus of the show.
    Now I can’t wait for season 7 !!!

Comment by Vic – May 21, 2011 05:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I’m so disappointed! I mean Cas added a hell of a twist to the show! They can’t just take him out! I’m used to having him around. The show won’t be the same without him. Whether it’s Kripke or Gemble they’re making a huge mistake here! I know the show is supposed to be about the Winchester’s but come on!!! I mean after six years of SPN… A lil’ bit of Cas won’t hurt anybody! Enough with Dean Dean Dean, Sam Sam Sam!! Just throw a lil’ Cas in the middle every once in a while! No need to vanish him. I’m a devoted fan trust me, but take it to another level! Don’t take it back to what it was.

Comment by Mona – May 21, 2011 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post