Exclusive

Supernatural Exclusive: Misha Collins Won't Be a Series Regular for Season 7

Brace yourself, Supernatural fans (as if Friday night’s finale didn’t already rob you of most every breath): Though his alter ego now is a bigger force than ever to be reckoned with, Misha Collins will not be returning to the CW series as a regular next season, TVLine has learned.

After making a rock star entrance in Season 4, Castiel quickly became a fan favorite, but the Winchesters’ angel ally has gone from heavenly to sinister this season. In Friday night’s finale, he opened the door to purgatory –- inside himself! –- and became a soul-powered God. And nobody was going to get in his way. Not Raphael, not Crowley, not even the Winchesters, whom he gave the ultimate choice in the show’s final minutes: allegiance, or death.

So why the decision to not bring back Collins as a series regular, just when Cas seems to be at his most… almighty?

“When it comes to Supernatural, our philosophy is that everyone moves in and out and weaves in and out of the story, obviously with the exception of Sam and Dean,” executive producer Sera Gamble tells TVLine. “We love Misha. We love and adore the character of Castiel. His character developed to this extent and went in this unexpected direction because we were so inspired by him.”

The season finale cliffhanger “is a very pivotal moment in Cas’ development,” Gamble adds, describing the character as “transformed.” “Basically, that’s what we’ll be exploring next season, so there’s just a big change.”

A change so big it calls for less of a focus on Cas and the goings-on in heaven? While there will be angel stories in Season 7, “they will probably be more self-enclosed,” reveals Gamble.

“[In Season 6], we consciously kept some of this angel civil war off camera because we are interested in what happens on Earth,” she explains. “We are interested in what happens in the purview of the boys. We feel that in terms of what we can accomplish, the scope of the show, our storyline is best accomplished where the Impala can go.”

Collins is expected to return for the Season 7 opener, but how much of a presence he will have on the show beyond that, if any, is a mystery Gamble can’t delve into “without giving away a lot about the premiere,” she says.

Two other names familiar to Supernatural fans however will be back – creator Eric Kripke and executive producer Ben Edlund. Gamble assures us that despite being left off a CW press release touting next season, Kripke and Edlund are hard at work on the seventh cycle. “Their titles have changed,” she explains. “There are a lot of technical and contractual reasons that people’s titles change that don’t necessarily reflect their level of involvement or commitment to the show. … They’ve been in the [writers] room with me every day this week.”

Supernatural fans, are you disappointed that Misha Collins won’t be a series regular next season? What did you think of Cas’ dark turn in the season finale? And what are your hopes for Season 7?

1. GoTherka says:

No! :( now I have really bad mood… It can´t be, I wanna back the old Castiel, somehow! But I´m decided to keep hope. I would be SO disappointed… Castiel is the best character I´ve ever seen :( I don´t wanna say “Castiel was the best character”…

2. Dionne says:

I have too say i am really shocked and disappointed to hear that misha is not going to be a regular next season.
    I have loved Supernatural from the get go jensen and jared made the show there couldnt have been another choic but when Castiel was introduced in Season 4 it made the show better Cas is a big part of the show for me he became part of the Winchesters adopted family so to speak if Misha had left after Season 4 i think a lot of people would have stopped watchin.
    Castiels ignorance towards the brothers joke and fascination and comedic moments made the show better if Misha leaves the show i am sure the show will lose a lot of viewers.

3. Supermeh says:

Wow, I am a huge fan of the show but after reading all the comments and (arguments) I wonder if some people (not all) realize this is JUST a show and not REAL? Maybe I should start a business called Get-A-Life.

Anyway, the writers have done something right by keeping people interested all these years. If Misha leaves, so be it, maybe there are better things in store. If you only watch the show for one character, you are not a fan of Supernatural then, which has many characters.

Like or hate the decisions, if you are a fan of Supernatural, you’ll stick with it. If you are a fan of just Misha, then hope he gets his own series, plain and simple.

4. Jodi says:

Cas became one of my favorite characters too. I don’t think they will entirely get rid of him, but they can’t have him be deus ex machina either. Rather I suspect especially in light of the new promos, he can’t contain the purgatory souls. I think the show will involve dejuicing Cas. Then the souls will get unleashed–new baddies to hunt, because the show has to have individual baddies besides a big one. And I think Cas will will be hurt in the process, probably closer to Fallen Cas. He will mostly be in search of restoring his own powers but will still come in from time to time on hunts–and for humorous moments :-D

That’s what I suspect anyway.

5. Eric says:

Here’s my two cents. I kind of like Cas as well. With that said, I think there is so much of a desire for heaven and goodness in our crazy world right now that people are begging to have a fictional angel character of a TV series do more heavenly kind of stuff to try and fill that void. I think people want to know what heaven is like and they’re expecting some writers to give it to them.

Well, I hate to disappoint, but that’s just not going to happen, which is why she said that they’ll pretty much stick to where the Impala can go. Which is kind of funny, because haven’t Sam and Dean been to “heaven” in the series already?

Anyway, pretty good show. And I do like the angel twist. I’m just waiting for them to introduce God. But that won’t happen either because that would end everything. Once you introduce God, nobody beats him. : )

6. Gii-chan says:

That’s so sad!!!!

Cas is my FAVORITE character!!!!

He’s the BEST!!
    I’ll really miss him! :(

7. Emily says:

I’m sooooooooo sad that Cass won’t be a series regular for season 7! :( Back in his season 4 I hated him. But in the season 5 finale when Lucifer killed him, I cried!

8. miek says:

the vessel we know as cas blew up. soooooo….prolly wont see him anymore….unless he pulls strings like the other angel did, that chick one

9. Bryan McCaffrey says:

Dude this is BS cas should definitely be a regular character. I love his character he makes the show what it is and should be in mostly every episode. If they take him out not as many people will watch Supernatural because he is a fan favorite. Which can’t be good for show.

10. SL says:

Start putting the nails in the coffin……….Whenever you remove a fan favorite you lose the audience. I predict they will lose audience share and this season will be the last. Stargate Atlantis did the same thing with Carson Beckett character and look what happened. They brought him back too late…………….I guess some writers egos overrides their better judgement.

11. Dean/Castiel-Girl says:

I really hope Castiel returns as his old self. I love the show and everything, but Misha has brought a wonderful sense of humor to the show, and it’s nice to have someone other than Sam that Dean can turn to. Given, the whole Satan/Michael thing tended to get a little old, I loved Castiel thoughout the whole thing and was happy his charcter stuck around. So, here’s to hoping the writers see how loved Castiel is and bring him back!

12. Samantha says:

The show has went down hill but it wasn’t because of mishas character … The show was alot better when sam Nd dean had the small monster a day they would hunt and still have a story line aswell lol

13. Lynda J says:

Well, looks like my fiancee’ and I won’t be watching this show anymore, without Misha Collins. We really enjoyed his character, and if “Supernatural” decides not to bring his character back, it looks like alot of fans will be very disappointed!!!

14. Cj says:

this idea to cut way back on Castiel ticks me off as well,I love Castiel, I hated him season 4 for being a douche, but then he grows on ya!! by season 6 I was like “I love this guy!!” lately in episodes I catch myself going “what is cas up to?” I hope they resolve his plot at some point at least to give Cas the respect he deserves..he wanted that respect in season 4 lol, so resolve it by ending things for him and let him die a hero, or help him find a way to be the old Cas and give him a “happily ever after” if that’s possible in SPN!!

but I feel like supernatural is on its final leg of life and will probably get cancelled anyway..so I’ll watch the older episodes and keep an eye on what’s next for misha, he seems like a really cool guy.

15. Zen says:

Yesss! I Like It Better Since The Session 4, When Cass Appears. Hes The One Who Save The Story From Just Being ‘Usual’, I Mean He Fill The Humour. Hes Adorable. Gosh! Session 6 Just ‘Gah!’, And This Announcement? Double Gah!

16. Matt says:

Seriously no castiel in season 7?! That’s pretty weak! I didn’t even start watching this show til season 4. Then I became addicted to it after I started watching season 4. Obviously I’ve seen every episode on TNT and follow it regularly now but honestly Sera Gamble! I don’t think that bitch realizes that the fans see castiel as part of “Sam and Dean”. Cas not being in the show would be like not having Sam or Dean or
    Bobby! I’m pissed!! Sera gamble should be fired!!!!!!

17. Sam says:

My heart hurts….

18. Sherrie says:

NOOO! I love Cas! They can’t remove him from the show. Omg I feel like crying. It won’t be the same :'(

19. cheryl says:

I wait every friday with hope that cas shows up..

20. Nick says:

It seems the intensity of this show has diminished since season 7 started. On top of that, taking cas out of the equation Will definitely reduce the supernatural fans. Sam and dean are nonchalonte about every supernatural encounter which makes the show kind of boring now. The 80s tunes are gone which partially kills the premise of the show. I seriously thought this season was going to be awesome after I saw the last episode of season 6. How is cas dead when angels can only be killed by those special metal stakes they carry? He was revived once so wtf? He dies after his vessel explodes? That’s it? This show has been ruined by this new writer completely. Just being honest. Contract me to write season 8 and I will bring back not only cas, but the intensity that was portrayed in seasons 1-5 along with the 80s tunes that ensued whenever something catastrophic ensued.

21. Alan de Gois Cesar says:

The Castiel has to revive Again, Misha, have to tar the seventh season, this guy has to appear, Cass You Too, It was you starring alongside Sammy and Dean, Cass You’re the best

22. Molly D says:

Let me make this short and clear… Just finished watching the season finale and now they decide to kill off Bobby? First my favorite character Cass is killed off the show, and he’s been my fave ever since season one, and now they take Bobby completely out of it too? Either they’re running out of ideas or they just want to lose viewers, because I have never missed one single episode and now I can officially say I won’t be watching the next season until magically Castiel and Bobby come back.

23. Nayara says:

I hope that Cas again, I’m super fan dele.Não will be free if he does not, he is our little angel, I hope that Dean and Sam find a way to bring Cas back [and that is the Misha]. He can not have died, you know lá.Não can think of Supernatural without that innocence Cas.Amo the whole personality and everything in it (always liked this subject of angels and demons). Well I just hope he comes back (he can not be dead, should be like when we are possessed, and I know he will come back, have to go back). but I think Cas will return to be fixed on Season 8 (hopefully).

24. Dale says:

I only found out about “Supernatural” a year and a half ago and have enjoyed catching up on the series on TNT. While I have enjoyed watching the new shows in season 7, I would agree with some of the posts that say the storylines haven’t been as good as previous years. I continue to look forward to the new shows and I hope the series continues for several years. I recently watched “I believe the Children are Our Future” and if you recall, the show had a boy in it named Jesse. Jesse was the offspring of a possessed woman and the demon who possessed her. This made the boy very powerful and as Dean said, he was (or could be) a super hero. In the show, the boy looks at a poster of Australia and then disappears instead of going to learn how to be a super hero with Bobby. The writers could do something with that character to bring anyone they wanted back; after all it is “Supernatural.”

Good luck and best wishes to all involved with the show.

25. momo says:

Dean, how are you ?
    how I believe this movie?
    but I like it very much .

26. blake lingle says:

Cas is awsome. Im sure he will be himself again someday. Sam and dean will be sure of that.