Exclusive

Shonda Rhimes: Grey's Anatomy Finale Sets Up What May Be Original Cast's Final Run

Fans of Grey’s Anatomy‘s grand Meredith-Derek romance need to know — in the wake of the unsettling events of Thursday night’s season finale — that series creator Shonda Rhimes aims to have the end justify the means, as the ABC drama enters what may be the final season for Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey, whose deals expire in a year.

TVLine spoke with Rhimes the morning after the assorted emotional bombshells were dropped, solidly rattling Meredith’s newly official marriage, Cristina’s future with Owen, and Alex’s latest (and failed) bid to move past Izzy.

Grey’s Anatomy Finale Recap: Casualties of An Emotional Shootout

TVLINE | Do you think you steeled yourself enough for the blowback from Meredith/Derek fans? Or did you feel you had some “capital” to spend, having just given them a wedding?
I don’t know if I steeled myself for the blowback. I’m sure there’s going to be some, but I’m not even sure I thought about it. I was busy thinking about setting us up for next season, which might be the final season for the [original cast members]. I wanted to spend next season doing nothing but telling stories about the originals, and I felt like in order to do that, we wanted to put everybody in a place where the focus was squarely on Meredith and Derek, Cristina, Alex….

TVLINE | Do you appreciate that the ABC promo department at least gave people a heads up of what was to come?
I’m at a place with promos where I sort of say, “Do what you guys do best.” I remember feeling very panicked about the way they were going to promote last season’s finale and they did an amazing job, so finally I decided that I can’t keep spoilers from getting out. Do it how you want to do it.

TVLINE | Tell us about the discussion about whether Meredith would actually do what she did, tampering with Derek’s Alzheimer’s drug trial.
Here’s what I think is interesting about that, because I’ve heard a number of people say, “I don’t think Meredith would do that.” Meredith is the girl who put her hand on a bomb in a body cavity. Meredith is the girl who tried to help a serial killer kill himself, so that he could donate his organs. Meredith — and this is obvious – has a compass that has always led her to shades of grey. She does not believe in black-and-white, she does not believe in good or bad, she does what she thinks is right. It’s funny, when we first pitched this storyline to Ellen, the first thing she said before we got to the end was, “But I give Adele the drug, right? I definitely give Adele the drug [versus the placebo].” We said yeah, because that’s who Meredith is. And Derek has always been a person who believes in right or wrong, and that has been the fundamental argument of their relationship. I also feel like it’s important to say that Meredith and Derek aren’t getting a divorce; their marriage is in trouble.

TVLINE | But for TVLine’s season finale scorecard, do we count this as a “Break-Up”?

TVLINE | As we left Meredith in her house with little Zola, what percentage of her is feeling undeservedly deserted, and what percent accepts some responsibility for pushing Derek away?
I don’t know. Maybe 50-50? She made a choice but she knew she made a choice. It wasn’t a simple choice to make, but it was the only choice for her to make. As a woman who would tell a gunman to shoot her [n the Season 6 finale], that’s who she is. She deals with consequences later. I know that she feels justified, but I also think she knows she made her own bed.

TVLINE | And what is going on in Derek’s mind as he camps out there in the frame of the unfinished dream house?
He just needed his space. The work of his life, which was him basically trying to cure the disease that Meredith eventually will likely suffer from, has been ruined. If he knew about the baby [Zola], things might be different, but he doesn’t. Right now he’s just angry and he needs a chance to get over it.

TVLINE | You’ve previously told us that Meredith and Derek are destined to be “together forever.” Do you feel that undercuts the drama when you do a finale like this? Or does it in fact amp things up, leaving us to wonder how on Earth they come back from such a deficit?
I feel like Meredith and Derek are meant to be together forever, and we’re going to make sure that in the end they end up together, one would hope – unless one of them dies or something. So, no, I don’t think it undercuts the drama. I think how we get there is the journey.

TVLINE | I was going to bring up Ellen’s quote from a year ago, where she said she would “probably not” renew her contract after Season 8. But it sounds like you’re preparing for next season to be her and Patrick’s “last hurrah.”
It might be the last hurrah for a lot of them; you never know. I really don’t know and I don’t presume to know. Everybody [including Chandra Wilson, Justin Chambers and James T. Pickens] has an individual choice to make and I get that. It’s been seven really amazing years. Everyone has a choice to make. All the originals are in play.

TVLINE | You’ve done an excellent job of having Cristina stick to her guns on the baby issue – do you think you can hold your ground and in fact have a lead character on a Big 4 network’s pride-and-joy terminate her pregnancy? Or realistically are there other factors in play?
No one’s ever told me I couldn’t, so it never occurred to me I couldn’t. It is a polarizing issue, and we deal with a lot of polarizing issues. Addison performs abortions on Private Practice all the time, and she’s had one herself; Violet has had two herself. I don’t feel like that’s the point. Every woman has her legal, God-given right to choose.

TVLINE | Are we counting Cristina and Owen as a “Break-Up”?
[Thinks for a moment] I don’t know. That one, I don’t know. I’m still debating what’s going to happen with Cristina and Owen, in my own head. Every day I change my mind about what’s going to happen with them.

TVLINE | Turning to Alex: Does it pain you to put the boy through such romantic travails each season?
I want him to be happy so badly! I really do. It’s so difficult because he’s such the kicked dog a lot of the time, and his character is so tough about it. But you really feel sorry for him. I feel like he hasn’t had any happiness since Izzy.

TVLINE | In a world where Rachael Taylor doesn’t have a Charlie’s Angels reboot to run off to, do Alex and Lucy end this season going strong?
I love Lucy and I thought Rachael was great; she has such a sparkle to her. If that pilot hadn’t happened, things would be entirely different.

TVLINE | Speaking of guest cast with pilots in play: Did you have psychic intel that Scott Foley’s CBS show wouldn’t get picked up??
No, and let me tell you, we were holding our breath. I wish all the best for Scott, but we were holding our breath. We fully planned to go forward with [the Teddy/Henry] story in a slightly different way if he had gotten another television show, but we knew we were ending it this way no matter what.

TVLINE | So Foley will definitely be back next season?
I am very hopeful that we will see him again.

TVLINE | I felt last night like the character of Mark was speaking for you, saying that it’s time to pull back on the Mark-Lexie teases.
I really like Mark and Lexie together, and I re-edited that scene like 50,000 times. I took it out, I put it back in…. The writers and I argued about it for days and days, and it felt like we needed to give Mark some place to go. He’s been in baby land this whole season and he needs to step out of Callie and Arizona’s relationship and stand on his own. That’s what we’re trying to do.

TVLINE | Before we go, I was wondering: As a Lost fan, do you have mixed feelings about Grey’s going up against Michael Emerson’s new CBS show in the fall?
No, no, I don’t. I have Henry Ian Cusick on [the new midseason series] Scandal, so I have my own Lost piece — and I feel good about that.

TVLINE | And as a Buffy enthusiast, can we count on your DVR being set to catch Sarah Michelle Gellar’s now show, Ringer?
You know, I literally have been working so hard, I did not know that she had a show that got picked up. But I am sure I will check it out!

1. Jane says:

I can’t see Patrick Dempsey Not coming back at least for a few more years. It’s a steady paycheck and he still gets to do movies and race cars on the side. E.P might be sick of Meredith, but I hope she will stay on. What would happen if only one of them left? That might be interesting.
    I think it would be great if next year the main cast were no longer interns/ residents and focus on how they handle cases themselves. I’m sick of all the holding me back storylines with Christina and Teddy, Alex and Arizona etc.

2. Josh says:

To continue the show without Meredith, Derek, Christina, Bailey, or Alex is a huge disservice to the fans and the show itself. Sometimes you gotta know when to let go and when Meredith leaves, it’s time to let go.

3. eviltwit says:

I see Rimes chickening out and having Cristina suffer an insurmountable difficulty with this pregnancy also that leads to a termination before anyone else has to decide what Cristina should or shouldn’t do

Besides, yet another baby would be really too much.

4. lj says:

I really loved the finale. I love Callie & Arizona but the last two eps made me really realize how much I have missed the originals. This show would not have made it if it weren’t for Meredith/Derek, Cristina, and Bailey. I , for one, am excited for next season.

5. TeamYang says:

My thoughts exactly, Nina! I’m seeing a lot of sexist comments in there: so Yang is selfish b/c she doesn’t want to be a mother? Guess what, some women simply don’t. Just because we’re able to have children doesn’t mean we have to. Where are these people living? Middle Age?

I don’t get all this Shonda-hate either: if she gives Calzona more time, MerDer fans freak out, if she gives MerDer more time, Calzona fans freak out. You know you have issues when you worry too much about fictional characters. Get a therapy and get a life!

6. Walter says:

If Ellen Pompeo, Patrick Dempsey, or Sandra Oh expresses interest in leaving the series, Shonda should bring the series to its creative end. I love Grey’s Anatomy, and the show deserves to have some closure before it ends. If the ratings continue their slippery slope there will definitely not be a ninth season.

• Mohammad says:

shonda can’t bring the series to an end…only abc can, and they won’t anytime soon because it makes them way too much money

• Walter says:

As the creator and head-writer of the TV series, she most certainly can decide that creatively the series is over and therefore choose not to submit the series for consideration for renewal.

7. Shauna says:

The difference, Shonda, about the abortions that Addison and Violet had is that they were never done onscreen. They were done in the past
    in these people’s background stories, so we don’t care about things that happened in the past. In Addison’s case, she was pregnant for a man who was not her husband. We were never there. As an O/C fan, we actually saw this couple from the very start and therefore, we have become invested in this couple. So an abortion, while legal, makes it a little difficult to see, right now.

8. evelyna says:

First it was Burke,then George,then Izzie…So many cutbacks on the original cast.And now,during the last season there was no serious plot concerning the basic characters.
    Although I enjoyed the musical episode,I felt fed up with all the Calzona issues. I don’t have any problem with the gays,it wasn’t interesting or pleasant to see all the time episodes concerning two females’ relationship. Overdose
    I was (and I am still) waiting for a proper Mer-Der wedding!!!
    Where is Bailey? This affair with the nurse isn’t interesting!!!She is a main character and she is also disappeared.
    Too many babies have appeared!!! Babies=zero interest after they born in a show.
    What happened to Christina?? She lost all her power!
    I don’t care about Jackson or April!They are indifferent as roles.
    I want surgeries on the show!!!!Not psychological support!!!
    I am a huge fan of Grey’s Anatomy but the 7th season disappointed me.
    And if Lexie becomes the new Grey for the title name,I’ll stop watching the show.

Oh how I miss the first seasons…….

9. Rafa says:

I hope Cristina will get an abortion, because that’s who she is. HOWEVER I think that the whole “headache” was put into place so next season she’ll enter a coma, Owen will be the one taking medical decisions since he is her husband. He will then decide to continue with the pregnancy (because that way “if she dies he’ll have a part of her with him” or some other BS reason). After the baby is born via C-section Cristina will wake up and… That’s as far as I can imagine!

10. Stefanie says:

If Ellen and Patrick do not renew their contracts for season 9, I will not be renewing my DVR to record Greys. If they leave pull the plug on the series. It was bad enough losing Izzy

11. Tagli says:

It would be weird to lost the original members of Grey’s Anatomy,but if the problem is the name I think Lexie would be an excelent female lead.She rocks and several times was mentioned what a good surgeon she would be.
    Go Lexie! ahah

12. Handsome Smitty says:

I’m sorry, but did Shonda just say, “Every woman has her legal, God-given right to” commit murder!?!

Glad I disinvested myself of this show when they pushed Christina off the cliff into the La-La world of lesbianism. The stupidity of intelligent people never ceases to amaze.

• Religiousnuts says:

So why are you commenting? I hate religious freaks who want everybody to think like them. The character of Yang doesn’t want a child! That’s her right. Just like the character of Callie wanted a child, that’s her right. Haters.

• tripoli says:

Well Handsome Smitty, you’ve sure proved your stupidity with your unintelligent comment.

13. Liz says:

Quick question: Does anyone remember when Christina had the miscarriage back in season two and they said that she probably couldn’t have a baby? Anyone?

14. robyn says:

Wait is Sandra Oh’s contract up next season and will she possibly be leaving too? If so that really really sucks, shes the best actress on this show, the writing for Christina Yang on this show has always been superb. The writers may have screwed up other characters, but they have always nailed it with Christina. My prediction is that Ellen and Patrick will unfortunatly leave, but Sandra will stay on at least another season if Grey’s goes past season 8 and Justin Chambers will be on the show until it ends. Highly doubt he will leave the show of all actors. If Chandra and Jim Pickens leave i’ll be really upset.

• Erin Murphy says:

I agree losing Sandra Oh would be far a bigger HIT to Greys than losing Ellen Pompeo. I can’t imagine the show without Yang, but I could without Merder.

• enijra says:

count on me.i cant imagine the show without cristina yang,she’s my favorite character of GA. i’m also big fan of Cristina/Owen duo and make them apart??that’s not good idea.so dont do it.

15. Paolo says:

Avery might continue the original Meredith character description of being a descendant of a surgical genius. Kepner may also be the new Izzie and Lexie, the new Cristina.

16. Tacara says:

She mind as well wrap Grey’s up…leave on the good foot because no offense some of these newbies are wack. I’m not interested in the show any more if the original cast is casted off. Another good show going down the drain…no sense in having television cause no good shows are on. Pure disappointment :(

17. Kathy B. says:

After sitting here and going through all these comments posted I must say you folks need to get a life. If most of you do not like this season of Grey’s then get off you tired butts and write you own show if you think you can do better. It is just a tv show. I happened to watch all 15 seasons of ER and while some seasons were better than others, the show was on for 15 SEASONS. That in itself is saying something. Maybe Grey’s has run its course as well but until the final episode is finished, I will still be watching. Good Luck to all the actors and writers on the show. i hope to be watching for another seven seasons!!!

• cathyeh says:

WORD!! Couldn’t agree with you more

• tripoli says:

Well said Kathy B. I agree with you completely. The comments on this site(and others I’m sure) are why I usually shy away from commenting. Most fans seem a little crazy and way too obsessed with fictional TV shows and characters. I’m rather obsessed with TV but I’ve got nothing on the rabid fandom that frequents this site. No one seems happy based on the majority of the comments. Which is kinda sad since TV should be something that provides some fun and entertainment.

18. May says:

Shonda Rhimes, I grow up by watching Grey’s Anatomy. I grew up with Meredith Grey and Cristina Yang. I cant help but broke down reading this article.

I beg you. Please, dont do this to me. They are the heart of the show. I have always related myself to them. The things that they’ve been through. I don’t think I can go on with my life if they are taken away. So please. Dont take that away from me.

19. Nick says:

Agree 100% – liked Owen and Cristina back in the begining in season five, but have hated them ever since. Glad Cristina stuck to her guns, and hoping that they break up personally – Cristina can do so much better. It was a bad idea for them to get married in the circumstances in the first place, considering what happened with Burke.

20. Nick says:

“I was busy thinking about setting us up for next season, which might be the final season for the [original cast members]. I wanted to spend next season doing nothing but telling stories about the originals, and I felt like in order to do that, we wanted to put everybody in a place where the focus was squarely on Meredith and Derek, Cristina, Alex….” -

All I can say is hallelujah and about time to hear that. Praise Shonda!

Makes sense why this season – in my opinion the worst (bar 2 episodes i.e. Golden Hour and the one after the musical) – had to focus so much on the other characters, so that it would leave room for a whole season for the remaining original cast-members without having to over use and repeat story-lines. So excited for it – while most hated the season 7 finale; I loved it and am incredibly excited for season 8!!! – let’s hope in the final true season, they can bring back aspects of what made Grey’s truly Grey’s in seasons 1,2, parts of 3 and 5 (the best seasons in my opinion)!

21. Supes says:

Shonda is so full of herself and a liar. The problem is…she’s gotten to big for her own self…she dictates to the network and is allowed to do whatever she wants.

I’m so tired of my favorite character treated like an abused child every single season…if Shonda “wants Alex Karev” to be happy then write the fraking story!!!

Will I support a show without the original cast…probably not. I’m still thinking how much better the show could have been had certain cast members not left (for various reasons).

I also do believe the strength of the show is the core group of characters.

If Season 8 is the last one for the originals…then I want a freaking happy ending for Alex…they should do whatever it takes and get KH back on the show even for 1 freaking episode at the end and get them back together. Alex/Izzie belong together and they should get a happy ending…Alex’s character has been kicked to the curb season after season…he should get the happy ending! Which probably means he won’t…I’m guessing last scene of Alex Karev we will see he’ll be drinking alone at Joe’s feeling…no wait we already saw it!!!

• JuanaRipp says:

I would watch the show without Merder because I feel that their story has been told already. We know a lot about them. I think that hurt Grey’s the most was the amount of characters. If they could shrink the cast and focus on more substantial storylines instead of those small stories that feel rushed because of so many regulars. It seems to me that the last ten minutes of Grey’s Anatomy are completely rushed. I feel their strongest character is Yang. If Grey’s loses Yang, then the show will hurt, but Meredith and Derek aren’t as interesting anymore. They can go on with: Yang, Bailey, Karev, Torres, Robbins, Little Grey, Mark, Teddy…that’s not exactly a WEAK CAST. Now I do like April, but Jackson..I am not sure about him.

22. Gwen says:

I do not get Owen, how anybody can stand that character. He is the most coma inducing, irritating character ever. I miss Burke and George!! Burke challenged Christina and they had great chemistry. Plus he was interesting. Nothing at all interesting about Owen. George-losing him was a gigantic blow to the show. Chatterbox chick is no replacement. Also miss Bailey’s sharp wit, want her to be in love but not all doe-eyed sweetness. Alex should have been chief resident-so many storyline possibilities there. Chatterbox needs to be in the shadows, not front and center.

23. BH says:

Personally I really liked this finale and believe it did set up what looks to be a great season eight. If the show does lose the original cast, I’ll still watch just to see how it is handled creatively. Also check out my full review website, http://reviews-bh.blogspot.com/

24. Billlyyyyyyy says:

I absolutely ADORE Calzona, I know their just fictional characters but as characters and actresses they are amazing. In my opinion I thought it was a wonderful season!! It had everything in it, and cannot wait till season 8!!!

woooo LOVE GA!

25. Kymberli says:

I love Grey’s Anatomy from season 1 to season 7. I don’t want Ellen or Patrick to leave…or any of the other people that were first casted. They made the show great. I know Lexie is a Grey and everything, but I don’t want her to be the star. The show is great just how it is right now. Everyone needs to stay. I loved the finale. I feel sorry for Meridith and Derick…I want everything to work out for them, especially Zola. And I love that Owen kicked Christina out, she deserved that. I also love that Teddy and Henry FINALLY get together….I just love them. Shonda, plz don’t change a thing about the show. I’m a HUGE fan. I love it and I never want the show to be canceled. Can’t wait for season 8 :D

26. derby says:

i’ll be honest: i cannot believe this show is still on the air. i’m also curious to know if any men watch the show, or if the demo is all women. where a classic show like ‘er’ was great tv for men or women, my issue with ‘greys’ has always been that it feels like a soap opera for women. i’m not saying it’s a bad show, just not one where a guy can really invest.

27. Karen says:

I find it hard to believe SR “doesn’t know what to do” with Cristina and Owen. They are the only reason a lot of us watch. A couple with undeniable physical and emotional chemistry and a beautiful, exciting love story. If I’m not going to have the pleasure of watching the brilliant Sandra Oh and Kevin McKidd on screen together playing my favorite fictional couple, let me know now. I resent the CO story being hijacked by an abortion debate or manipulated for a “historic” moment. Per the writer, the finale was only about whether Cristina could let someone in as a true partner – all Owen did was ask her to consider the possibility and not rush into an abortion. People do change (i.e. Arizona) and C has never articulated on screen until a few epis ago her desire to never ever have kids. Cristina is a more interesting, complex character with Owen and I for one hope that we continue to see this marriage of equals play out in interesting ways — that would be something to tune in for.

• enijra says:

i agree.cristina and owen are great and perfect couple for me so please dont make them apart. they are the only reason why i keep watching greys anatomy.

28. Isabel says:

OMG Grey’s anatomy without Meredith wuld be such a bore.. I mean what i love about the show is her and Chrithina and Derek..they`re the cemme of the show… Lexie it is just annoying.. not enough to keep attention to the show..anyway sucks that mer has to go. :(

29. Stephanie says:

I vote for: a final farewell year for Grey’s Anatomy if Meredith or Derek depart; Mark and Lexie to reunite for good; Christina to be free of Owen and to replace Kepner; Alex to grow wise and find true love; Addison Montgomery to return; Chief Webber to be succeeded by Bailey. But Meredith, Derek, Lexie, Christina, Baily & Mark are the core cast members that make Grey’s what it is!

30. Hailey says:

I have been very disappointed this season in how Callie and Arizona is portrayed as a couple. They act like friends. The threesome with Mark is painful. I don’t mind Mark being the father or anything, but it is about HOW they portray it: ”one big happy polygamous family”, and Arizona as not a real parent/family but only a doormat and the third wheel. They don’t allow Callie and Arizona any couple interaction scenes or family scenes with Sofia. There have been way too many C/A/M scenes. Clearly Callie and Arizona are not treated equally to other couples on the show. After the wedding C/A haven’t had any newlyweds interaction, shown any love or affection. They haven’t even spoken together! ALL other couples of GA have had post wedding moments. C/A is the only couple who have not in 7 years of this show. The message they are sending is that the C/A relationship is not equal, and that it is not okay to show them being affectionate, loving or intimate.

I don’t understand why Callie and Arizona were not included in the end of the FINALE. Every other couple was shown. MerDer and Crowen not so happy. Bailey and Teddy had happy moments with their guys, yay! But where was C/A happy couple moment? Maybe they’re not happy?? We don’t know, because we haven’t had one single moment with C/A after they got married.

In season 8, if they say C/A is a couple, they need to show them as a couple! Truthfully and with respect. This means LESS C/A/M ”one big happy family” scenes, more C/A couple interaction scenes and family scenes with Sofia. Arizona needs to be respected and recognized and treated equally as a mom/family. If they cannot do this, please just BREAK UP Callie and Arizona.

31. Henk says:

Love the show, and the different issues, and all the characters. Most important and interesting are the thoughts and the different ways of living of the characters. But isn’t that what it is in real live too. People who come and go in your live too. Some who stay’s for long and a profound time, others just passing by. But how about the actors ! Shouldn’t you go after some time, and I think 8 years is a long time, going out to act another character in another show, instead of living the same character in your own live.
    However can’t wait till next season

32. samon says:

I absolutely love this show but its no show without derek and meredith primarily. I want mark and lexi to be together and I want korev to be happy

33. April says:

I recently watched every episode from the beginning and it just seems to me that the writer(s) lost focus. I think they need to go back to the beginning and review what they started with and get back the drama,romance and passion originally portrayed. DerMerAlxChrMarBail are the show. I would like Izzy back but without DerMer the show is over for me.

34. Sweets says:

For me it’s time that somebody teach Christina a lesson. Christina wanted a married life well “Surprise being married means sometimes having a family and raising a child. I think she should have the baby. She has some “all about self” issues going on there. In terms of Mer and Derrick. Please Please Please keep them on. Keep on the original staff. Greys anatomy wouldn’t be Greys anatomy without them. U can bring on the new staff. I am happy that Callie and Arizona are happy together, and I think it’s time that Alex finds some kind of Happiness. All in all I LOVE THE SHOW. Ive never ever missed it and I have watched all the episodes. That and Private Practice is what keeps me going on a Thursday night. Keep em coming Ms. Rhimes BTW, remember when you bought in the new staff from mercy and you had to take them out. Keep that part in consideration. And Please, see if you can find a man for april. And i want Bailey to get married to that nurse guy. The only man who seems he could have a handle on her. Just keep it up Miss Rhimes. Keep it up. Thanks

35. Mickey says:

I love Grays Anatomy…it’s my fav. TV show…but you guys are too intense about this. It’s NOT real life – these people are actors! Whatever the writers decide to do, it is still entertaining. I’m fond of all the characters, but if some of them are written out, or if they do something I don’t like or don’t agree with I wont stop watching :) Threatening to stop watching if Meredith leaves or Christina gets an abortion or whatever is so lame! Why do you think Shonda or the writers care? They’re writing a hugely popular TV show, not a fairytale…and that’s exactly what it is – a TV show – and if it finishes….then it does! I’ll be sad, but it wont ruin my life and another great TV show will come along.
    Try to just enjoy wartching it for the time that is left. I know I will – whatever happens :)

36. aylin says:

I have a question about the name of the movie..May be I’m wrong but the name of the hospital Mercy Grey??? If I’m right; the movie name is related with the hospital not the characters. And in my opinion it is more relevant since we followed all the characters life and physiology not only hospital personal but also patience. Yes; the every session is starting and ending Meredith voice but we are following all of them life equally..
    Thanks and bye..aylin

37. aylin says:

One more thing; I’m very sorry to here that Derek might not be exist next season; it will be very difficult to used to it. I’m still missing Izzy; Derek and Mer are very valuable for me. So I prefer to follow the movie with them. But; I don’t want to loose the Grey’s Anatomy totally.
    As a summary; please don’t stop the movie..
    Thanks and bye..Fun of Grey’s Anatomy

38. hannah says:

Mer/Der are the original and the best!! They rock.

39. enijra says:

i’m not affected whatever happen to MerDer but I care so much for Cristina/Owen because they are really interesting and please dont make that “little baby” to be a reason why they need to break up bcoz thats not a good idea so keep their relationship alive and active in anyways. Cris/owen put my adrenalin on its highest level they are so interesting and exciting couple that I’ve ever seen.

40. Nicholas Villarreal says:

Honestly, I think Grey’s could still work without MerDer. In fact, you really only need Bailey, Lexie, and the Mercy Westers for the sake of continuity. Maybe keep Calzona and Mark as attendings.

The Chief could stay on if they don’t have Bailey or Mark take his position, they could add new interns/residents, and then that’s that. Of course, if Chyler Leigh leaves, they could just rename the show “Seattle Grace” or something. Then again, Lexie did have a whip-smart younger sister that I believe would be finishing uni or in grad school by now, so…

41. beans says:

ok people seriusly its just a tv show! and you are all dissing the creator of the show you apperantly love…get a life! seriously SERIOUSLY . . . Seriously!

42. Caitlin l says:

I miss George so much! he was my favourite!
    bring back some of the original cast members, like Burke and izzy. all these new faces is getting too much! loved the old greys anatomy

43. Joseph Lupo says:

Not everyone stays in the same job or location for ever. Every one dies and life goes on. If a show is to be successful, this must also be the case. First I would bring Izzie back. Second see who is staying and who is or wants to leave.

How about the next set of interns and residents. The way we got used to this wonderful cast of people, I am sure it can happen again. I wish it could stay the same, but that is not life nor is it realistic. Some people will and should stay. Some people never look for or want chage. Others do and leave, move and go on. Someone could be pregnant. Tuck can grow up in TV years which is faster. Bailey can marry Ben and his friends and family come into the show. It is difficult to comment completely because life is not easy and things remain the same and change. How about Joe and his partner having more of a story line? How about two gay men doctors coming on board and meeting and courting like Arizona and Callie? That beautiful episode Season 4 Episode 14 with the two gay soldiers. Have Todd come back with a new boyfriend and maybe become a regular or even better make it a dream sequence and they are both now out of the army, married and have a life on the show. No show has done more for the gay community than Gray’s Anatomy but more could be done. Make it like a dream that Todd was having while sitting in the lobby.

I LOVE the show. I was a late fan. I started watching Private Practice first and when I found out it was a spin off from Gray’s Anatomy, watched all the Seasons and episodes on the computer, staying up late every night to go through seven years of shows. Some things were not as great but overall I would give the show four stars. Don’t loose the wittiness or the funny way the doctors interact. I would have more family of the doctors in the show. However, no show has had more parents and families actually show up in various roles as this show. Izzie’s mom, Derricks two sisters, his mother, George’s mom and dad and brothers, Merediths mom, dad and sister, Richard and Adele’s niece and mother, Christina’s mother, Preston’s mother and father. Maybe Isiah Washington can come back since he apologized and T.R. Knight is off. George could come back, making his accident a dream too. Heck, Dallas had one whole season that was a dream. You even had Miranda;s mother and father also.

It can be hard to get used to new people but we did get used to this fine cast. April Kepner does not have a good story line, Jackson’s story line has seemed to decrease.

I think there are still many more good years ahead for the show. Change the name if Ellen Pompeo leaves and call it Seattle Grace, the new generation. All of you writers, directors, producers, etc. are so talented, you can cetainly let this work. Even Alex does not have a great story line this season.

I am a gay male and want to see two male doctors or nurses with a main story line or as I said bring bhack David Giuntoli (Derrick) and or Benny Garamello(Todd) back in a story line. They were EXCELLENT< FABULOUS and realistic. It did not a;ppear they were acting and you can take that from me, an openly gay male.

I could keep going on and on but I have to stop. I wish I could even speak or write to the show's directors and writers as I think an ordinary nobody of a person has some great ideas.

Joseph Lupo

44. Andrew says:

Nobody else is sick of Meredith? Must just be me. Derek can be a stuck up pain int the ass with his holier than though attitude, but if any of the writers read this, please, wirite more stories where meredith is interstate or away at a conference or just plain write her out. She has become a needy, whiny distraction from the rest of what can be an otherwise fine night of viewing pleasure. I even prefer Christina stories now, though why nobody could cast an actress capable of facial expressions to play a pivotal role in this show, especialy in scenes whre half the face is covered by a surgical mask is beynd me. I’m all for Sanbra Oh being a graduate of the Spiner/Nimoy “how to seem emotionless on TV” school, but face it, both those dudes can actually act, and convey the sublte hints of emotion required by a story. That said, next time trek needs a Female android or a Korean-Vulcan character, give Oh the nod! And have we all not grown sick of the “lets have sex in the on call /patient room” scenes. Grow up people.. Anyway, props for hiring a cast of less than perfectly attractive actors. Oh is fugly as, Callie is, Hunt is, Meredith is, Bailey (OK, I admit she is cute-ish and she’s a hell of an actress actually). About time ordianry people got a look in on prime time I say (though thanks also for remembering that Heigl was totally stunning and we needed someone cute to replace her, Lexie’s a good looking woman, and seems to be fairly competent actress into the bargain)