Office Finale Scoop: Who's The Boss?

On the West Coast, or yet to watch tonight’s season finale of The Office? You know what to do – skip this story to avoid spoilers galore. The rest of you? Let’s go!

Besides banishing Gabe to Florida and getting Angela engaged to her gay Senator boyfriend, the NBC hitcom left us with a fabtastic cliffhanger: Who will replace Michael’s replacement, Deangelo (Will Ferrell)? Besides the all-star candidates, ranging from Jim Carrey and Will Arnett to Ricky Gervais (cameoing as Michael’s UK counterpart, David Brent), Andy, Darryl and trigger-happy long shot Dwight all threw their hats in the ring.

Of the Special Guest Contenders, James Spader stood out as a creepy genius with a memorable theory (“Everything is sex”). But my money’s on British funny lady Catherine Tate. She brought to the table a level of self-serving crazy on par with Steve Carell’s, yet in an entirely original flavor. (She’d actually tide me over nicely until we get those new AbFab episodes… )Plus, Jo (Kathy Bates) is a friend; never hurts to be in good with the (potential) boss.

So what did you think of the episode? Are you pulling for Spader to get the gig? Tate? Or someone in house? And thoughts on the outcome of the Phyllis/Erin mother/daughter mystery? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: News, Recaps, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Entertainment2u-Twitter says:

Boring ep.

• Cy says:

Oh, agreed! What a snooze. And the double-talking Catherine Tate? I was not feeling it. But I guess I was sick of Michael Scott, too, so I guess I’m out.

• BT says:

Seeing Spader on the Office tonight made me realize how much I’ve missed him on TV each week. I’d love to see him come back. I thought he was great!

• XtremeCamera says:

My thoughts exactly. I was alarmed at the weight he put on, but his character on the Office was my favorite candidate. I could see him as the manager easily, especially his interactions with Jim (who is freaked out and a bit frightened by Spader)…

Although to be honest, I don’t think anyone would disagree that Michael Scott was the most important character on the show and I seriously doubt The Office will be renewed again. It is not the same show, but could be worth watching on its own, for a season.

• Saulo says:

A, B and so forth. You know: LMNO… P! F.

• allie says:

Except if I’m not mistaken he said: emaleno as in mlno…p. Either way he wasn’t really saying the letters so much as the run-together elameno that kids learn before they really know what that means.

• Bryan says:

Tate was terrible. It can’t be her.

• df says:

Spader was hysterical. Romano was somewhat funny. The rest were just awful, with Tate probably at the very bottom. How the hell can she be the frontrunner?

2. Runa says:

Haven’t watched any of the eps after Michael’s departure, but I will say that if Catherine Tate gets the job, I’m all back in.

• Jared says:

I’m still wishing for Portia Degeneres to be offered the job! I think she is THE perfect candidate!

And to those who have “given up” after Steve’s departure, shame on you. The show is still exactly the same!!!! It’s an ensemble show with or without Steve Carell. The show is still the exact same humor and entertainment.

• Rachelh says:

Now that you mention it, wow!! Why can’t they do that??

• Ray says:

Portia as her ‘Better Off Ted’ character? Genius!

• Great idea says:

What a lovely idea! I would love to see more of her Better Off Ted character large and in charge over at Dunder Mifflin!

• whatevs says:

I still watch the show after Steve’s departure, but why shame on other people for not watching? The main character’s exit is a perfectly legitimate reason to stop watching. Although it is an ensemble cast, it still had a protagonist. It wasn’t like Friends where everyone was billed exactly the same.

• Amanda says:

Isn’t Catherine doing a play in London with David Tennant that doesn’t end its run until September? She can’t possibly do it then, can she? Unless she arrives late in the season. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part. My vote is for Spader.

3. Jennifer says:

I actually didn’t like any of them. James Spader was too creepy. I’m not sure if promoting an existing character is a good idea. Some of the candidates didn’t get a lot of screen time (i.e., Jim Carrey), which means it comes down to Will Arnett, the British woman, and the existing characters. I would prefer that they continue to look. That in itself could be a funny story arc?

• Amy says:

Will Arnett’s show “Up All Night” got a fall pickup, so it won’t be him. Would love Catherine Tate.

• jmk says:

I agree that James Spader was too creepy – I’d bet they’ll tone it done at bit if he’s chosen. He was funny, but didn’t come off as having that vulnerability that excused some of Michael Scott’s behavior, and I think his character as it is now would be difficult to watch.

4. Kristen says:

Didn’t see the ep, but I have mad love for Spader in general.

5. Mike says:

Spader was the best one by far. I didn’t find Tate funny at all.

• corey says:

i’d stop watching if tate was made the boss. cant even understand most of the words she says! and 100%. not. funny.

• Joe says:

Spader was genius! I couldn’t stop laughing when he was talking. Out of all them, he was the only one I really want to know more about character wise. He’d be amazing and raise the game of the show to a new level. I think what we learned tonight was that putting any of the regulars in Michael’s office didn’t feel special enough. If Spader was a serious candidate, it could turn out to be a home run.

6. corey says:

boring episode. what a letdown! what a wasted season! boring episode after boring episode! the show should have revelaed the boss now and let it sink in over the summer! this will not do it any favors. season 8 the last season, you think?

• Brad says:

I have to agree – this season just wasn’t good. I barely made it through a lot of episodes, and not one of them earned my undivided attention. The episode that really sealed it as a show I won’t go out of my way to keep up with, though, was the one with Michael’s stupid movie. I lasted maybe 10 minutes before I had to stop and delete from the DVR. Yet, I gave it the rest of the season to win me back. Didn’t happen.

7. Fernando S. says:

I don’t think anyone we saw tonight is going to be the new boss. No character shown tonight gives the impression that they’ll fill Michaels shoes and that’s we need. I wouldn’t mind if they somehow come up with some long lost brother of Michael Scott. That would make me happy.

8. Joe Jackson says:

I’ve never watched the Office, but if Catherine Tate gets the job I’ll start. Her Doctor Who episodes where the only ones with David Tennant that were watchable

9. ANgie says:

Spader all the way!

10. veronica says:

I didn’t think the episode was so bad – and it was a LOT better than the episodes with DeAngelo in them. I’m not sure if anyone can really fill Michael’s shoes, and I was disappointed that the Erin / Phyllis thing didn’t work out.

11. banditjoe says:

I will be the new manager of……. Vance refgigeration.

12. Dan says:

Catherine Tate all the way!

13. Pat says:

JAMES SPADER! JAMES SPADER! JAMES SPADER!

• Lance says:

Sapder’s character owned tonight’s episode. Tate was ok. But Spader was creepy brilliant. Whereas Michael Scott was a clueless character that lacked tact. Spader’s boss, so full of smarm, would take things in a new wonderful weird direction. Go team Spader.

• Elizabeth says:

Agreed!!

• tnsmoke says:

I agree. James Spader just “owned” the screen when he was on! He had movie star mojo and you couldn’t take your eyes off him and wanted him to keep talking! At least I did! When he walked out of the room with his chest all puffy, so confident, cracked me up. How he sized up Dwight was priceless. I want James Spader or John Krasinski to be the new boss!

14. T McNeil says:

Thought the episode didn’t deliver. Have a very bad feeling about “The Office” post-Carrell. Ferrell played too broad and wasn’t memorable, and now it looks like the producers don’t know what they want to do. Clearly the only real choice would have been former DM CFO David Wallace (it would have dovetailed nicely).

15. Pickle8182 says:

Jim Carrey or Ricky- and I’m done with it.

16. Esaul says:

I actually thought the episode was hilarious.

17. vici semans says:

love Tate, honestly don’t watch, but would if she is the boss…

18. Kristi says:

I am definitely, definitely pulling for Tate. That would be a dream come true. I was elated when I heard she was in the running. She’d be perfect, brilliant – and it would be refreshing to have a female boss. If that doesn’t work out, I’d be pulling for Spader – though I’d be worried his intensity as el creepo could change the overall feel of the show. Anyways – my interest in this series has waned over the past two years – and I would definitely be tuning in again every day if Catherine Tate was behind the helm!

19. Entertainment2u-Twitter says:

The sad thing — the best boss would be Kathy Bates. She was funny!

Too bad NBC picked up that stupid lawyer show she’s on instead!

• Snsetblaze says:

I thought Kathy Bates would be a great boss too (even though she has Harry’s Law). The best part of that would have been seeing those lovely Great Danes every week (yes I realize that only one was with her in this episode.

• Tego Livi says:

I thoroughly enjoyed the way Jo cut through the crap, like with Darryl’s resumé and Dwight’s attempts at being interviewed. But I think my favorite thing was an old joke: how the “burn victim” couldn’t restrain himself from correcting Jim when he called him Assistant to the Regional Manager.

20. Clara says:

Donna Noble has left the library. Donna Noble has been saved!

21. M says:

I wasn’t such a big fan of Catherine Tate. For some reason though, I really want Jim to get the job.

22. Corey B says:

I may be in a heavy minority, but I think the episode really played out well for Jim as manager. It put him in a lot of reluctant leadership positions, and Jo is the kind of corporate boss to help push Jim. From a character development standpoint, it’s the only thing that could keep his character relevant…they’ve tackled pretty much everything else. And Dwight forced to be under him is instant comedy.

• Stephanie says:

I’d love to see Jim as manager, but he makes more money at Sales right?

• Jamie says:

Totally think it will be Jim.

• Amber says:

I don’t know though, I kind of hated when Jim was co-boss with Michael. He took it so seriously and it changed his character. I loved the ep with Dwight as the boss, because it brought out Jim’s prankster side, which has been missing for a while.

• Snsetblaze says:

Other than Jo herself, Jim would have been a great manager. I liked when he was comanager with Michael Scott. But for him to throw his hat into the ring, they’d have to change the sales policy – if I recall he went back to sales because of the commissions – that a manager would not be able to get.

• SB says:

In a later episode he was told that there was a new policy that placed a cap on commission. He spent the rest of the day slacking off because , as he said, he had no incentive to work for the remainder of the year.

• Lexi says:

Agreed!

• heather_kaye says:

Yep, me, too – I thought the setup was perfect, the way Jo has put it all on him to find the stability for the office. I had been saying Darryl all season, but I now I think it’s going to be Jim. (Though can we set Spader up with an office somewhere in the building? Bring him is as a consultant? He was WONDERFUL!)

23. JT says:

Should be Spader or Andy. Anything else would be a letdown.

24. Stephanie says:

Couldn’t stand Tate. Might not watch much if she gets it. Spader was decent. I was hoping for more Carey time. Arnett won’t get it because he’s starting a new show in the fall. No one mentioned Ray Ramano. I wouldn’t mind him. And please NOT Dwight. LOVE his character but not as a boss. I’m pulling for Andy.

25. Stephanie says:

Couldn’t stand Tate. Might not watch much if she gets it. Spader was decent. I was hoping for more Carey time. Arnett won’t get it because he’s starting a new show in the fall. No one mentioned Ray Ramano. I wouldn’t mind him. And please NOT Dwight. LOVE his character but not as a boss. I’m pulling for Andy!

26. corey says:

hey anyone remember that today was kelly’s last episode on the show? how are they going to write her out? does she get a corporate job? make that american idol audition? i didnt see anything in this episode, but then again i was pretty busy falling asleep. BORING!

27. Pat D. says:

The episode with Dwight as the boss (and ended with Creed as Boss) last week was by far the funniest of the season, and Creed’s bits this week were also hilarious…I would vote for either of them to be boss.

If it *has* to be a newcomer, here’s another vote for Spader. His face-off with Dwight in the coffee nook was great.

28. Nicole says:

Catherine Tate all the way!!!!!! Loved her on Doctor Who and The Catherine Tate show!!

29. John says:

I agree with the last 2 peeps who posted – I really want it to Jim. I absolutely despise James Spader – I will stop watching if he’s in (and I’ve watched since Day 1). He wasn’t funny at all. Catherine Tate, while she didn’t make me laugh out loud – might work. She has the craziness to her that could make things intersting. Too bad I kinda like ‘Harrys Law’ because I too think Kathy Bates would have been perfect. I’m routing for Jim, without a doubt…

I will say though that this episode was a HUGE disappointment. I didn’t laugh once – and all the promos insisted that we’d know who got the job by the end of the episode, so I feel cheated.

Not a good night for finales – Greys was boring and a real let down too. Really, April as Chief Resident? Thats ridicolous. And I Derek acted like a complete A-Hole… Watching Private Practice now, hopefully that was better.

Best finales so far, without a doubt – Good Wife & Castle.

30. Red Broward says:

Really? None of you recognized Warren Buffet? He wanted $.27/mile and unmonitored long distance phone calls. Quite the casting coup.

• Nostradamus says:

Buffett also had the entire office cast Steve included do a 5 minute short with him for the annual film at the opening of the Berkshire Shareholder’s meeting this year.

31. reng says:

I’m not familiar with Tate, but I liked her character the least tonight. Didn’t really care for any of them. They need to keep looking.

32. C says:

James Spader FTW!

33. Justin K says:

Is there any reason why Jim can’t be the new boss? At the very end- it was like HE WAS THE BOSS already… everybody listened to him and followed him- so I was confused.

34. Matt says:

Personally, either catherine Tate, or will arnett. But James spacer was funniest, but they gave him more camera time then everyone else

35. L says:

Jim is totally going to be the new boss. And I’m all for it.

36. Laura says:

I LOVE this show and I thought this episode was turning out to be pretty strong until they didn’t resolve ANYTHING. It wasn’t that I was expecting to find out who the replacement was, per se…. just that I was hoping for something. Angela didn’t find out about her gay boyfriend… Andy and Erin didn’t get together… Creed is still the boss… no replacement. I just felt let down when the episode ended and we got NOTHING. Favorite line? “Bread is the paper of the food industry… you write your sandwich on it.”

37. Ruby says:

Oh, I’m totally rooting for Spader. He was FANTASTIC. (Also, is it just me or does he all of a sudden look like Rainn Wilson?) This was the best episode in a long time…so many funny lines!

38. Laura says:

Also, can I add that I was totally bummed Jim Carrey only had a 30 second cameo (if that)? I actually think his humor would work well with the show.

39. Dave says:

I say keep Creed on as boss. I think it would be fun if he was always trying to destroy the branch and everyone is trying to stop him without letting him know.

40. Jon says:

Of the candidates interviewing tonight, I’m rooting for James Spader or Ed Helms.

41. Hype37 says:

Episode just finished here in the West Coast…and what a total let down. I’ve been waiting all day for the episode to find out who the new DM will be…guess now I have to wait an additional 3 months as well. Fantastic…

42. T.V.InTheBuckeye says:

here’s your leak – John Krasinki’s character, Jim, becomes the branch manager on season 8. It’s surprising how few seem to have picked up on the foreshadowing from the season 7 finale. The interesting thing now is how peoples’ expectations for season 8 will develop with the knowledge that the original cast will remain intact, and with Krasinki’s role change. The writers experimented with this earlier by creating the otherwise pointless “co-manager” position, which they wrote off soon after. Out of consideration for the Jim’s easy-going character and to add suspense, the writers maintained an internal struggle for Jim as reluctance for accepting the role of “boss” through the end of season 7. Again, re-watch the season 7 finale closely for the foreshadowing – camera work, looks, and for the benefit of the majority who miss those subtleties, there is also glaring dialogue.

43. Sarah says:

I think this was a TERRIBLE episode. The traditional Office humour was completely absent. I’m not entirely sure that this is due to the lack of Steve Carell but his absence seems to be affecting the show.

I am a longtime fan of this show and I fear the demise has already begun.

44. Kate says:

It’s going to be Jim. He showed the most leadership in this ep. In this really boring ep.

45. Snsetblaze says:

Out of this crew, I want Spader but think it will be Catherine Tate. She wasn’t pushed as much as the others. I’d be ok with Andy but do not want Daryll. However, it should be Jim even though he does not want it.

• tnsmoke says:

Jim didn’t want the job last week because he wanted NO new boss since the Office was running fine without one but after Dwight and interviewing a bunch of wildcards I think it will be possible that the opening of Episode 1 on Season 8 will be Jim’s on-camera confession of how he decided (and Jo agreed) that he was the best candidate for the job. Pam actually makes a great boss, too.

46. Jack Hammer says:

Haven’t watched since season two. I hope it gets canceled soon!

• Jacob says:

The joy you find in wishing for the unemployment of hundreds of individuals is astonishing. Would you say the same thing to a business that hires a similar amount of people? “I wish you’d go under?” Come on…
      Hate the show, but don’t hope it goes down in flames. That’s just spiteful. And ridiculous.

• XtremeCamera says:

Seriously and respectfully, I see people comment like you all the time on this, and other, entertainment websites. Could you please tell me, and others I’m sure, just why you would waste your own time and read a column about a show you dislike, and then waste even more time typing out a comment that fans of the Office surely don’t want to read? I mean, you and the others that do this make no sense.

If you take the time to honestly answer my question than my own time won’t be wasted, so please do take a moment here. Perhaps you can shed some light on this strange behavior we all see dozens of people do on a weekly basis.

• Kari G says:

For whatever reason there are people out there like ‘Jack Hammer’ that comment on message boards solely to see what kind of rise they can get out of others. The best you can hope for in these situations is that they be ignored. I agree that these comments are a total waste of everyone’s time, and obviously the comment itself doesn’t even make sense. If you don’t enjoy a show, then guess what, you don’t have to watch it. How about you let those that enjoy it, continue to do so by keeping off the message boards. It’s pretty simple!

47. Sam says:

Spader was pretty good and Ray Romano was surprisingly interesting but really I don’t think any of them will be capable michael scotts

48. dref22 says:

Ummm, where was Jack Coleman? Are they thinking of bringing him back?

49. Laura says:

I love Catherine Tate. God everything that woman says just sends me into a fit of uncontrollable giggles. I would LOVE to see her as boss next season.

• rachelle says:

lol, seriously! i didn’t know her before this episode and i loved her. i kept going back and re-watching her part, she was just that awesomely hilarious.

50. ket says:

i would love to see will arnett become the new boss but i know that won’t happen so my vote goes to spader.