Grey's Anatomy Finale Recap: Casualties of An Emotional Shootout

[The following story contains spoilers from Thursday's Grey's Anatomy season finale.]

Grey’s Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes told TVLine that this season’s finale would feature an emotional shootout” (versus last year’s literal kind), and sure enough, by the time the Shondaland logo came up, at least three relationships were left sprawled on the ground, critically wounded.

Derek and Meredith entered the hour on a high note, anticipating as they were the possibility of adoption. But thanks to the massive unlabeled spoiler a drunken Alex let slip last week, Mer’s contamination of the Alzheimer’s trial protocol came to light, putting her job very much on the line. That Richard came around to “appreciate” (and even take some responsibility for) Meredith’s actions was understandable. Derek, though, could not help but think of the millions of Alzheimer’s sufferers out there who might have benefited from a successful trial. It was then that he wondered aloud — though not in quite the exact and pointed words cobbled together in the promos — how he could raise a child with someone who doesn’t know right from wrong.

By episode’s end, Meredith was handed an armful of irony: baby girl Zola, for her and her husband to love and cherish. Mer was left to bring the wee one home to a wholly empty house. But she would not be alone for long…..

Cristina and Owen came into the finale cutely negotiating her viability as a chief resident candidate, with her withholding sex in the name of having her husband see her as an “organized and focused” doctor, and not his bed bunny. As it would turn out, motherhood-averse Cristina had already had sex one time too many, which she realized while schooling a woman on how to tell if your period is too late. Yes, Cristina had been crystal clear with her stance on having a baby, yet no one could be faulted for suspecting that, if push came to bun in the oven, she would have one of those convenient changes of heart and embrace the new life inside her.

But that is not Yang. Not long after delivering to Owen the news and reiterating her unease with her expectant status, Cristina revealed that she had made an appointment to terminate the pregnancy, prompting Owen to kick her out of the apartment — and back into Mer’s house of refuge.

Alex’s nascent romance with Lucy, meanwhile, was almost a victim of collateral damage in this “shootout.” Though his work with the African kids had all but sewn up his W in the race for chief resident, Alex’s outing of Mer’s unethical antic soured Owen’s opinion of him, since Karev did wrong by Seattle Grace’s most beloved doc. With Mer in the brig, Cristina reprimanded for her latest bit of rogue behavior, and Jackson having recused himself form consideration, April wound up claiming the lofty title — though the poor girl doesn’t seem quite ready for all that comes with it. Having lobbied so hard for the plum gig and lost, Alex was not in the right mindset at all to field Lucy’s invitation to ask her to stay, though just a few acts prior he glue-gunned his heart onto his sleeve. So once again, Alex implodes when on the cusp of good loving.

Elsewhere, Mark decided to “let Jackson have Lexie” (or weirdly paternal words to that effect) by removing himself as an obstacle to that relationship, while Teddy decided and affirmed that she was falling in love with her husband, Henry. There was also a rather and surprisingly sweet C-story involving the many ill-fated victims of a plane crash, and how one mother who lost a son rallied for the mother of the sole surviving “unaccompanied minor.” Nice work by a roomful of guest stars.

What did you think of the Grey’s finale? Is Meredith deserving of the dog house? What do you think was going on in Derek’s mind as the hour closed with him sleeping oustide in the dream house framing? And who here thinks Cristina will actually go through with an abortion? Hit the comments with those thoughts and any others.

1. Leslie says:

When is this stupid Dream House going to be finished? Hasn’t it been like 5 years now?

As for the rest of the finale, I have nothing to say. I don’t know if I will be watching next season.

2. Christine says:

I haven’t watched the episode yet, but the thing that bothers me the most about the Cristina/Owen drama is that I feel like they’re repeating storylines now. Cristina was going to have an abortion in season 2, after having already made the plans in season 1, but could not go through with it because of her medical condition in which she lost a fallopian tube. Yes, she’s married to Owen and not just having an under the radar relationship with Burke, but it’s still ultimately the same thing – getting pregnant and planning on having an abortion whether the father knows and/or cares about any of it.

3. The Ugly Truth says:

Just because some of you people killed your unborn kids doesn’t mean Christina needs to kill hers so you feel better about your horrible decision. ;-) How’s that Post Abortion Stress Disorder treating you folks anyway? ;-p

• Just Sayin' says:

That’s mean and uncalled for. Everyone is having a discussion here and what you just said is totally uncalled for. IF some people have had abortions, you don’t know their circumstances and you of all people have no right whatsoever to judge.

Regarding the finale, how many times are they gonna make Karev a douche? Here I was thinking he was finally on the road to something good with Africa and being a friend.

Regarding Cristina – my opinion is if she was single, if she got pregnant after a one night stand then it’s ultimately her decision but she’s in a marriage so wouldn’t that entitle the husband/father to have some say what happens to his potential child? I don’t know, I’m not married nor have I been pregnant and only God knows how I would react if I was in a similar position to Cristina.

What Derek said regarding to Mer being a bad mother is totally uncalled for too, I know he’s pissed but Mer has worked so hard at trying to be all lovable and he totally destroyed that.

• eviltwit says:

Clearly, you’ve been a credit to the human race.

4. Beth says:

I’m pleassed to see that the majority of people here are pro-choice and are o.k. with Christina’s decision to get an abortion. She doesn’t want children, we’ve always know that about her (and so has Owen). They could talk for days about their respective opinions, but in the end, it is a woman’s decision. I hope Shonda Rhimes lets Christina go through with the abortion. It makes sense for this character as we’ve come to know her.

• Bizzy says:

I am pro-choice with a caveat. If a woman or a man truly does not EVER want to have children – for whatever reason – then he or she needs to take steps to make sure it won’t happen. Get those tubes tied because there is no 100% guarantee otherwise.

• Tao says:

All these pro choice people with exceptions are killing me? Pro choice means you are PRO a woman’s CHOICE!!!!! Not just when supporting a woman’s right to chose means your special conditions. This is why we have all of these ridiculous abortion restrictions in this country, which virtually make it impossible for a woman to terminate her pregnancy unless she’s carrying a three headed monster and was impregnated by her brother or something. Oh, and a woman needs to be wealthy to get an abortion as well. So, that she can afford to travel across her state to go to potentially the only abortion clinic available. She will also need to have enough money for a hotel since she may be required to wait up to 3 days to actually get the abortion performed.

5. steph says:

I thought this was a pretty depressing episode. Isn’t the point of a season finale to make viewers want to watch next season? Viewers need something to hang on to. Something to think about all summer and get excited about. There was nothing in this episode that I ever want to ever think about again (okay I did like Teddy and Henry). It’s like the season Shonda said she was “tearing everything down” to rebuild again. I mean you have to give us something happy. Geez.

6. bmo says:

Owen was right to kick Cristina out. Cristina is a selfish woman and doesn’t deserve a husband or love (Harsh I Know). I cheered when he kicked her out. She is such a bitch who only cares about herself and Meredith. She could slip away and the show would be better. I could see that relationship getting real nasty next year. Derek will come around, he just needs a cooling off period. Their personal relationship will heal, their professional relationship will take a toll. Karev will be an outcast but that’s where he likes to be. on the outside. Everything kinda lines up nicely for next season. Probably 2 more seasons in tow before they jump the shark. But if next season is bad, the singing episode will be the shark jumping moment.

• eviltwit says:

Wow. The hate. Cristina’s only focus has been to be the best doctor she can be, which, frankly, is admirable – especially on a show about doctors. She’s been the only one consistent and honest with herself and everyone else in her aims. That’s not selfish. That’s knowing what one wants out of life and going for it. And, the one person she trusts is Meredith, which is obviously wise on Cristina’s part and deserved by Meredith.

7. Bizzy says:

Derek and the Chief completely hacked me off in the finale. How dare they sit there in judgment of Meredith after the secrets and bad decisions she has kept and helped cover for them over the years? So stupid.

8. McScotty says:

I have to say it was a bit of a slow episode for me, like someone else said, a bit mid-season. Meredith does deserve a bit of backlash for what she did, but it was always going to be the case that Derek took this the hardest: like his Mom said in season 5, he sees things in black and white, Meredith doesn’t and that’s why he needs her. Owen & Cristina was never going to work in the long run IMO. Think there’s hope yet for Mark & Lexie, although it’s dragging out a bit. And understand why not so much Callie/Arizona this week, but given the focus on needing the people you love around you at difficult times thought they could have had more of a feature. Will keep watching, but a slow ending for this season for me.

9. fl says:

IMO we have never seen Cristina say why she won`t have children. I think it is because she is scared of loving someone that much after everything she has lost. Her father died and her mother doesn`t accept her for who she is. If they play it that way and show us WHY Cristina is so afraid of having this baby, then it would be very in character for her to actually keep it and love it.

10. Jessica says:

I didn’t love the finale, but I liked it as much as any other episode. I think that Mark & Lexie will find their way back to each other eventually. I think that Derek will calm down & they will work it out. It won’t necessarily be easy, but marriage isn’t easy. I just hope hope hope that they both resign and continue with the show!!!

Cristina & Owen…I’m not sure how it will go, if they’ll break up or stay together. I don’t really see her going through with the abortion, but whether or not she’ll decide to give being a mother a chance or just give the baby to Owen, I don’t know.

One thing I do know, that’s really irritating me…all the people yelling on here about prochoice vs prolife and Cristina’s being selfish or Owen is blackmailing her, etc etc etc. YOU ARE ALL WRONG! This is not a prochoice or prolife issue. For the record, I don’t believe that abortion is a good choice and would never have one myself, BUT I’m prochoice and believe it’s every woman’s right to choose for herself. That just happens to be my personal choice. BUT THIS IS NOT A PROCHOICE OR PROLIFE ISSUE FOR CRISTINA & OWEN. THIS IS A MARRIAGE ISSUE. They are married and it is just as much Owen’s baby as it is Cristina’s baby, and she does not have the moral right to make a unilateral decision to terminate her pregnancy and kill their baby. If she was single, she could do whatever she wants. When she terminated Burke’s baby, that was her choice. They weren’t even in a relationship. They were just sleeping together. But that is not the case now. She and Owen are married, and she cannot morally make this decision alone. They both have valid points and I sympathize with both sides, but no matter how difficult, it is a decision they have to make together. Maybe it means their relationship ends and he raises his child alone. Who knows. But he can’t force her to be a mother any more than she has the right to terminate the pregnancy without his say. It’s not an easy problem to have or solve, but they have to now!

• enijra says:

i agree.Cristina is strong person and brave little genius but then Owen is her husband and making a decision without considering Owen’s opinion isn’t smart.

11. NCSouthernBelle says:

MOST DEPRESSING LETDOWN OF A GREY’S FINALE EVER. I’ve said it and I’ll keep saying it: Shonda outdid herself on last year’s amazing finale, and it left her with nowhere to go. This has been far and away the most BORING and POINTLESS season of Grey’s ever, and I don’t blame Ellen Pompeo for not wanting to sign another contract. Next season better be so much better!

12. Kristen says:

I will say this once – there is NO compromise in Cristina and Hunt’s situation. She’s made it clear, since the beginning she doesn’t want to be a mother. Ever. Now that she’s pregnant, if she doesn’t keep the pregnancy, she’s being selfish. Hunt wants to keep the pregnancy, despite Cristina breaking down into tears telling him how much she didn’t want this. He’s being selfish. For Cristina to entertain the thought of going through with this when she is certain she doesn’t want to be a mother, would then be twisted by viewers to be cold and heartless. There’s either continuing the pregnancy or terminating it. There is no in between. Cristina made it clear that it wasn’t b/c she didn’t think she would love the child. She isn’t heartless. She just has no desire to be a mother. Hunt knew this. I don’t side with either, b/c I myself would love to one day have children, and grandchildren. I know that this is something that I require in life, is to be a mother. Knowing this, would I ever roll the dice marrying a man that believed so strongly that he didn’t want kids? Never. Not saying this is Hunt’s fault, but he chose love in the hopes of it changing for Cristina. He hoped. Some might say Cristina did entertain the thought of keeping the pregnancy. She sat and listened to Hunt as again, it brought her to emotional pain. Even listened as Hunt spoke of the heart beat, and fingers (which in my opinion is low). There is no compromise. You are either forcing a woman to keep a pregnancy she doesn’t want, not now or ever. Or you are asking a man to give up his dream of having a child. However you look at it, they are both acting selfishly. Ultimately, it is the woman’s body. Both their lives would be disrupted, but physically, it affects her the most. I think it’s going to be the end of Hunt and Cristina’s great relationship. I think she will go through with it. And I think it will be an amazing and haunting storyline. But, there is no compromise. In the end, it’s one or the other. Like she said, you can’t have half of a baby.

13. Alrisha says:

SR should do a better research when she’s going to write her shows. What Mer did was stupid and so men levels, I’m complete understand Dereck. As a professional and research myself I know this is the kind of thing that destroy careers and institutions. Was selfish and affects a lot of people. Seen gray not in black and white is not an excuse. Psychopaths can’t distinguish good and bad either. Webber cover up her is worts and when FDA found out (and they always do) the whole hospital is going to be affected and therefore everyone working here now or before.

14. Rachel says:

Is abortion a touchy subject for people? I can’t tell.

Maybe she should have used some type of birth control. She is married, so its not like she wasn’t planning on having sex for a while, AND this is the second time this has happened! C’Mon, these abortion storylines are getting old. We get it if you’re pro-choice and you have your heart set on Cristina’s little fetus getting sucked out of her, but honestly if you want real life why are you watching Grey’s Anatomy?? This show is anything but real life! They had a neurosurgeon living in a trailer- really? If you want real life watch the news.

I predict she keeps it. It’ll be a shock, and it’ll keep her and Owen together. All the failed marriages are getting annoying. Apparently if you work at Seattle Grace, you’re marriage only has a 15% chance of surviving.

@cassie and eviltwit- You don’t know how happy that makes me to hear that you aren’t going to have children. Let’s keep it that way.

• Cassie says:

I don’t know where you got the idea I’m not going to have children. I guess you have a little trouble with reading comprehension, since I never wrote that. For your information I have three children. I’ve also never had an abortion. But, I completely support a woman’s right to have an abortion. If you have such a problem with reality being shown on tv why are you watching a medical drama? You should stick to fantasy shows where people don’t deal with real issues like abortion and you know…life in general.

15. Write Stuff says:

Glad that the finale wasn’t turned into Calzona’s Anatomy. We get it. The couple is a same sex couple, blah blah blah. Too heavy handed and that comes from a gay guy.

16. laura says:

well, i think that derick over reacted, he should understand that merideth tried to make up for what her mother did to the chiefs wife ! and Cristina is just so stuburn and selfish that owen is RIGHT for kicking her out of the house.

17. Glo says:

I love grey’s, but you guys need to step up your game for season 8! I fell asleep during the finale…I would never have fallen asleep in any other season, especially not the finale! Get it together Shonda!!

18. Cristalle says:

I don’t understand why Cristina doesn’t have her tubes tied. She didn’t want Burke’s baby and was going to terminate it. It just so happened she had a fallopian tube burst, and the pregnancy was terminated that way. And now, she doesn’t want Owen’s baby..duh! She doesn’t want children…I totally get that with her character. So why doesn’t she get her tubes tied? It’s not like she doesn’t know anyone who can do it for her, and she’s not an idiot. She knows what causes pregnancies and obviously she’s fertile. Geesh!

19. Continue Finally,previously investigate result near settle function consumer education less play support adult institution labour right mainly merely ride disappear league tell art arrangement before previously more ship restaurant while whole floor politics introduce college ready religious like plan build big law extent date little ear total weather little warn bottle exist difficult parliament forget part meanwhile book future top man fire shall wine relate visit once primary art rely alright temperature introduce house experience purpose lie district find near communication throughout secure organise supply display prospect journey