Fall TV Preview

Fall Preview: Check Out Kevin Williamson's Secret Circle, Ringer and Other New CW Shows

Witches, hot docs and identity-stealing twins, oh my!

The CW has just unveiled it’s plan for the 2011-12 TV season, and, per usual, it’s bubbling over with potentially memorable (and unmistakably attractive) characters.

Take a nice long look at four sneak peeks of The CW’s new shows (click on each title for cast/plot summary), and then hit the comments with your SMG gushing snap judgments!

The CW’s Fall Schedule: Sarah Michelle Gellar Back on Tuesdays, Nikita Makes a Move

Hart of Dixie, starring Rachel Bilson, Scott Porter, Jaime King (Mondays at 8 pm)

Ringer, starring Sarah Michelle Gellar, Nestor Carbonell, Kristoffer Polaha, Ioan Gruffudd (Tuesdays at 9 pm)

Fall TV Preview: TVLine’s Guide to What’s New!

The Secret Circle, starring Britt Robertson, Thomas Dekker, Gale Harold (Thursdays at 9 pm)

H8R, starring Mario Lopez (Wednesdays at 8 pm)

1. Paige says:

SMG GUSHING RIGHT HERE! I can’t wait for Ringer! SMG is incredibly talented and will make that show amazing!

Not really sure about The Secret Circle. I wonder if it’s gonna be like The Vampire Diaries, in that it’ll start off really cheesy but end up getting quite good mid-season, like what happened with TVD. Only reason why I’m gonna give it a chance.

Don’t care about that doctor show.

2. Nate says:

Wow. That H8R clip was RIVETING.

3. Enough says:

Plan on checking out Hart of Dixie, and Ringer gonna pass on The Secret Circle. Not into teenage angst shows, which is why I gave up on VD wasn’t that good to begin with.

• Brian says:

Well, if you “gave up” on Vampire Diaries, nothing else needs to be said about you. You’re an idiot.

• Enough says:

Wow calling me an idiot because I don’t like teenage angst shows? I prefer character driven adult oriented programming. I would never call anyone names just because they don’t like my shows. I think someone needs to grow up some.

• Nick says:

I think the calling you an idiot is excessive, but if you’d continued to watch TVD, you’d realize that it is WAY more than teenage angst and is actually an incredibly well-written and acted character driven adult drama. They abandoned the teenage angst by about the 8th episode of season one. You should give it another try with a little more patience.

• Emily says:

What Nick said. I almost gave up after 6 episodes because it was feeling like a TV version of Twilight. Can’t tell you how happy I am that I stuck with it because it’s turned into one of my favourite shows. Every episode they throw in more twists and turns, and there has been so much character growth and development over the two seasons.

• Steven says:

I gave up on it 3 episodes ago. All the death for the sake of drama was bothering me.

• Amy says:

Yeah, I’m not watching Ringer, because I’m not into blonde people’s angst shows. Which is valid by your criteria.

• Enough says:

You must be a VD fan, damn you people are just down right rude towards anyone who doesn’t like your show.. There is no need to be rude towards people.

• TV fan says:

“werepires” :P it’s all I’m going to say about TVD: retconned curses and werepires (not even the love triangle can save that mess now).

• SHELBYRBD says:

omg your crazy it has gotten really good the first season was alittle cheesy but the has gotten really good with action and lots of people dying and plenty of blood! LOL

4. Michael says:

I’ll probably give Ringer a shot mainly because I’m a Buffy fan. It does look somewhat interesting.

5. Melissa says:

Hart of Dixie looks good. Rachel Bilson and Scott Porter are great actors and I can’t wait to see them working together!

6. Kate says:

Hart of Dixie looks like a type of show The CW has been missing each year, a feel of the old WB! Cannot wait!

And Ringer well it has SMG in so of course that has my attention!

I’ll give Secret Circle a go but still not happy that they didnt give Charisma Carpenter a chance to audition and just cast the role straight away! Grrrr! We cudda had Buffy and Cordy back on TV and on the same network!

• Blake says:

Life Unexpected felt very old school WB in my opinion.

• frosty says:

It wasn’t good old school though.
        It was cheaply put together, shot cheaply.

The whole project screamed cheap.

Hart Of Dixie looks really good.
        Loving the cast,looks like they spent some money on it.

• lorna says:

Well, first of all LUX wasn’t a supernatural show .Second of all, CW treated it like crap. But it WAS well written and acted. A lot of people had problems with the teacher/student relationship, but I loved it. Yet somehow they like it on PLL? It was well written and tasteful. RIP and I can’t wait to get the DVDS!

• TV fan says:

True, I don’t know why but I’m going to give “Lux” there a second chance, not interested in anything else about the new programing

• Leah says:

Exactly my thoughts and why I watched it in the beginning. Then it was the same thing every episode and other shows took over my time.

It was good to have the old WB back though, especially with the dawson’s creek and roswell cast members. That’s ACTUALLY why I originally checked it out.

I love Buffy and Summer was my fav character on the OC so I’ll definitely check out ringer and hart of dixie

• Alice says:

I think Carisma Carpenter is a little too old to be a high school character.

7. anne says:

is there any way of making these videos accessible to people outside of America?

8. Saarrr says:

I agree, I can’t watch these clips and I really want too!

9. anne says:

i managed to watch 30 sec promos on youtube, no idea if the clips above are longer/ different.

10. Alex says:

The Secret Circle and Ringer for me!

11. Stefan says:

clips wont work for me :(

12. Alice says:

Lux let go of John Connor! He needs to collect his mother from Westeros, find his pretty robot friend, and save the world! Those drops of water won’t be so pretty when a T-888 pops out of the woods and shoots you both!

13. Amy says:

I think it is The CW not TVLine’s fault the clips don’t work. I tried watching them on EW.com and could only access a few of them.

14. Erin says:

This is exciting, I had no idea… I liked the Secret Circle series a bit more than the Vampire Diaries books. I can’t watch that show anymore though, it got kind of bad.

• frosty says:

No it didn’t.
      It’s one of the best shows on at the moment.

• Enough says:

Frosty- In your opinion it’s the best, but that doesn’t mean it it. That’s just your opinion. In Erin’s opinion it sucks…

Personally I think Castle is the best show on TV, then I would go with Supernatural. But again that’s my opinion and not everyone has to agree with me either.

• frosty says:

In my opinion, well who’s else would it be.
          Thanks for the play by play.
          And I like Castle also. Great cast,dynamic and story-lines.

I like good shows in general.

”Damn you people are just down right rude towards anyone who doesn’t like your show.. There is no need to be rude towards people”

Well I think I was perfectly charming.

Sucks to be you and Erin.

• Leah says:

The best shows on tv are Community and Fringe! And Bones!

15. Sam says:

Thomas Dekker is way too cute to not be on television.

• Mrswinchester24 says:

agreed! I had no desire to watch The Secret Circle until he was cast! I’m going to check out Ringer (cause of Sarah Michelle Gellar) and The Secret Circle (because of Thomas Dekker).

• katie says:

Totally agree! Thomas Dekker is a good actor, and I can totally see him being a witch. I am looking forward to this show.

16. Liz says:

I can’t wait for Hart of Dixie. Secret Circle looks good too and I will give Ringer a try although it doesn’t really seem like something I would like based on these clips.

17. Elle says:

Am I the only one who is more excited about Rachel Bilsons return to TV than SMGs?I mean I am the biggest OC and Buffy fan I love them equally but I felt the supporting players really made Buffy but on The OC Summer Roberts was amazing and I loved Rachel on Chuck.Hart Of Dixie gives me that warm WB feel that I have missed so much!But I hope it doesn’t meet a fate like the past c-dub shows who where very WB eg the deceased yet great Life Unexpected,Privileged and Reaper.Ringer looks amazing but very dark for The CW, the cast is awesome and the premise looks like one of the best of the fall yet don’t know about how they will pull off 7 seasons with it.The Secret Circle looks a little lame but hey so did Vamp Diaries when it began so i’ll give it a shot but only because of Kevin Williamson,Britt Robertson & Thomas Dekker.

• Lyla says:

I AM! Although TVD is my favorite show and I’m excited for Secret Circle, and I loved Buffy and I’m totally looking forward to SMG, I’m more excited for Rachel Bilson on Hart of Dixie. I love every single Josh Schwartz show ever made to death, but The OC was probably my favorite. My favorite characters on that were Seth and Summer, and since both obviously can’t be there, I’ll definitely take the one. I can’t even explain how excited I am for this show.

18. Dave1311 says:

the videos doesen’t work for italian (european) ip nooooooooooooooooooooooo
    can you fix it?

19. Justin says:

Am I the only one these videos aren’t working for? I’m national, and every other preview page has worked. Why aren’t they working?

20. Carrie says:

I’m so excited that SMG is back on Tuesday nights!!

21. Lambsilencer says:

The CW has put up geofiltering for the previews, and also some kind of proxy detection. If I try to watch the previews using the Netshade US proxy (which, in other cases, works perfectly), the player loads but the video won’t start.

22. Candice says:

Those accents are horrible on Hart of Dixie, but I love the Belles. Nice spoof on the Azalea Trail Maids. There is no use for them. LOL

23. Melokesm says:

Every year I get excited about new CW shows and they are cancelled prematurely. It is hard to get vested into a show that has no resolution.

24. Bluestocking Inc says:

That scene where SMG is wearing a trenchcoat w/ a scarf and the background looks somewhat like Sunnydale U? Total Buffy flashback.

25. Brian Wick says:

Definitely going to watch Ringer and The Secret Circle. I miss Sarah Michelle Gellar on TV. As for The Secret Circle I love fantasy shows.

26. JC says:

So is Rachel Bilson’s character supposed to be Doc Hollywood or Lightning McQueen? Or both?

27. Dieseled says:

Why does the CW insist on recycling their horrific actors? Britt Robertson was absolutely terrible on Life Unexpected, so it’s awesome that they decided to throw her on another show.
    It seems like the guys actually go through an audition process and the girls are just chosen by who looks best in their head-shot.
    Maybe if the female leads could do more than stare blankly into space the shows would last longer.

• Josh says:

To be fair they guys aren’t great actors either. You really think anyone from 90210 or Gossip Girl is that great at acting? Tom Welling was never known for his acting skills.

The Vampire Diaries have talent actors of both genders as does Nikita, it seems like the Ringer will have the same. Rachel Bilson is also a good actress, always fun and brings great energy to her roles and Scott Porter is another good actor.

• Daphney says:

I don’t watch 90210 or GG so I can’t speak for anyone on there. I did watch all of Smallville. Welling isn’t the best actor nor did he improve greatly as the show went on, he did have a good 5-6 facial expressions though. I haven’t seen a lot of Nikita but I do feel Maggie Q is doing a fine job.
        As for The Vampire Diaries, I find Dobrev’s acting horrible. She has 2 looks. The ‘oops my brain just fell out of my ear’ and the ‘I smell something rancid’. Honestly to look like you’re smelling something nasty while hanging out with a vampire, not good. It makes me, the viewer, wonder if vamps smell like a rotting corpse. The heavy breathing and monotone ‘I’m so bored’ sound to her voice doesn’t help. Wesley and Somerhalder aren’t the best but vastly better than Dobrev.
        The CW hires for looks, they seem to just get luckier with the guys having a bit more talent.

28. byrlis says:

SMG GUSHING FTW! it’s not our fault she’s incredibly talented… and hot… and AWESOME. Clearly i’m going to be tuning in to RINGER!

29. Girish Winchester says:

CW just won a loyal viewer. Cannot wait for Ringer, Hart Of Dixie & Secret Circle (if its anything like Supernatural or Vampire Diaries)!!

30. Lily says:

I will watch Secret Circle purely for Cleo from H2O

31. mimi says:

the secret circle = watered down, tv version of “the craft”.. happy phoebe tonkin is getting some work in the US though!

32. sarah says:

Hart of Dixie…yay! Another show with horrible fake “southern” accents about a person from new York who comes to the “backwards” south and saves the day!
    Let me guess, in the process she (just Michael J. Fox in Doc Hollywood) finds that she needs to soften her bedside manner from the Kind old nice southern folk and that she doesn’t know everything after all and finds a love interest all while battling the mean evil Southern Belle diva!