TVLine Items: Giants' Franchise Opens Season, Syfy Finds Lost Girl, and Other News to Know

Showtime has set a launch date for The Franchise, a new docu-series that follows the San Francisco Giants on their quest for a second consecutive MLB championship title.

The one-hour Franchise premiere, which will introduce the kooky group of athletes that make-up the Giants, airs Wednesday, July 13 at 10/9c, and will continue with seven weekly half-hour at-bats.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Syfy has acquired the rights to both seasons of the Canadian cult hit Lost Girl, starring Anna Silk (Being Erica) as a sexy supernatural succubus who feeds off sexual energy.

Daytime TV Spoiler Alert! Oprah is in the midst of shooting her final episode extravaganza, and for those wondering what The Oprah Winfrey Show‘s last hours will entail, here are just a few teases, courtesy of EW.com and The Hollywood Reporter:
– Tom Hanks is the event’s host and emcee
– Guest appearances by Tom Cruise, Halle Berry, Madonna, Rosie O’Donnell, Tyler Perry, Diane Sawyer, Wanda Sykes, Maya Angelou, Queen Latifah, Jay-Z, and (whew!) Dakota Fanning, just to name a few
– More of Oprah’s Favorite Things!

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (14)

• Lost Girl is about a succubus? Speaking succubi, any news on the return of The Gates on ABC? I saw that it got renewed at the last minute last season, but I haven’t heard any more about it.

Comment by darclyte – May 18, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure The Gates was cancelled.

Comment by Raechel – May 18, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lost Girl is awesome. Very interesting universe setting. And yes, The Gates was (unfortunately) cancelled – just as it was getting good.

Comment by Tarc – May 18, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Bummer. I had read that it was expected to be canceled, but then got renewed. I guess that report was wrong. Thanks for the info.

Comment by darclyte – May 18, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fear the beard!!! Yes I will so watch anything about the giants !!

Comment by Christa – May 18, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited about Lost Girl…I found it last year and love it! It has its moments of silly but I am totally in love with the super sexy detective Dyson who is Kris Holden-Reid. It just has a ton of potential if it keeps building the stories of the characters.

Comment by Shannon – May 18, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both seasons of Lost Girl? Does that mean it got renewed? Nice, I didn’t know it! Hope we get that 2nd season soon, it’s quite a nice show…

Comment by Delirious – May 18, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The filming of season 2 started this week

Comment by Roger – May 18, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually it started last week, but close.

Comment by xav – May 18, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the second season will start airing in sept in canada. I wonder what the schedule will be for sci-fi

I love this show too and am really excited about it coming to the US

Comment by Leah – May 20, 2011 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This doesn’t mean Syfy has any control over Lost Girl, right? I don’t want their grubby little show-ruining hands all over Lost Girl

Comment by xav – May 18, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @xav,

Don’t freak out. Syfy is the distributor, not the rights holder or producer. It’s the exact same scenario as when they broadcast DOCTOR WHO or MERLIN.

Comment by Simon Jester – May 18, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreeed!

SyFy loves to ruin perfectly good shows. I’m rather protective of LG because its Canadian and excellent (two terms which dont often coincide).

So if SyFy doesn’t affect what goes on screen, than yay! a wider audience for this fab show is wonderful

Comment by vee – May 20, 2011 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! The Franchise is going to be great. I loved the preview episode, and anything will Tim Lincecum will be on my television.

Comment by Lisa – May 19, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post