TNT Announces The Closer Spin-off, Mystery Movie Series Featuring Best-Selling Authors

Following months of speculation, TNT formally announced on Wednesday morning its plan to follow The Closer‘s upcoming seventh and final season with a spin-off series titled Major Crimes. Touted by the cabler as “television’s next great crime drama,” Major Crimes will star Mary McDonnell (Battlestar Galactica), reprising her recurring Closer role of Captain Raydor.

The Closer‘s final cycle will consist of 21 total episodes — 15 airing this year plus six for summer 2012 — and feed directly into the 10-episode freshman season of Major Crimes, which like its predecessor will be set in the Los Angeles Police Department. The Closer creator James Duff will exec-produce the new series, along with Greer Shephard and Michael M. Robin.

TNT’s upfronts week announcement also hailed The TNT Tuesday Night Mystery, a series of six contemporary crime drama movies adapted from true-crime stories and fictional novels. Set to premiere in November, the line-up will include Innocent, based on the book by best-selling author Scott Turow, plus adaptations of Richard North Patterson’s Silent Witness, Sandra Brown’s Ricochet, Lisa Gardner’s Hide, April Smith’s Good Morning, Killer, and Mary Higgins Clark and Carol Higgins Clark’s Deck the Halls.

New scripted series in development at TNT, in addition to the previously announced Dallas continuation that just wrapped filming of its pilot:
* From John Wells (ER), a drama set against the backdrop of the Pacific Northwest and following family of cops who uncover the mystical and often crime-ridden world of a small town where things aren’t as they appear.
* Scent of the Missing, about a search-and-rescue officer and her best friend and partner, a Labrador retriever.
* Gateway, about three brothers in the post-Civil War Old West
* Based on the character from the Laura Lippman book series, a drama centered on Tess Monaghan, a former newspaper reporter who has become a private eye
* A Southern-fried family drama from executive producers Kimberly Williams-Paisley (According to Jim), Brad Paisley and Shaun Cassidy (Invasion)
* An untitled Mitch Albom prohject revolving around the manager of a Detroit radio station
* Enigma, a modern-day mystery-of-the-week in the vein of Sherlock Holmes

In addition to its current roster of The Closer, Rizzoli & Isles, Men of a Certain Age, Leverage, HawthoRNe, Memphis Beat and Southland, TNT has two new series premiering this summer: the alien invasion drama Falling Skies, exec-produced by Steven Spielberg, starring Noah Wyle (ER) and debuting June 19, and Franklin & Bash, a legal dramedy starring Mark-Paul Gosselaar (Raising the Bar) and Breckin Meyer (Road Trip) and launching June 1.

1. Dave says:

That’s nice. What about the freakin’ Dallas reboot!?
    :o)

2. DL says:

This is the result a lot of people were hoping for, myself included! We get to be in the same world as The Closer, but with this still being considered a new series. And I’m glad they decided to go with the Cpt. Raydor angle. I’m guessing they’ll be making her a whole lot more sympathetic this season, which is great, because I love the character.

• Tracy says:

This is the most obvious and sensible direction they could’ve gone. I’m glad they didn’t try to overthink things. And I hope they leave the door open for Kyra (and Jon) to return from time to time.

• Snsetblaze says:

Will they be moving any of Brenda Lee’s squad over to the new series? Or will she basically just be taking over the series with a name change.

3. Colleen says:

I’m not sure how I feel about this. Captian Raydor bores the life right out of me. I will miss The Closer.

4. L says:

Nooooo! Not Raydor. Gutted. Although I WILL still watch if they keep the rest of the Closer cast (sans Kyra, obviously). They need to keep the rest of the cast!!!

• Katee says:

I hope the rest of the cast hangs around for this show, especially Flynn and Provenza.

• GG says:

Flynn and Provenza are hilarious! Love, love, love them! I like all the cast members, but they make the show (not counting Kyra, of course).

• Carol Caul says:

Flynn and Provenza a huge assets to the Closer and besides being clever are absolutely hilarious. Brenda, Pope, and Taylor get into funny situations, but only Flynn and Provenza provide enough character development and comic relief to attract viewers who do not want to watch something “awful” all the time. They would be a constant thorn for Raydor, too.

• Jimmy says:

I’d expect them to keep some, but not all of the cast; otherwise, it’s just The Closer starring Mary McDonnell. I would imagine they’ll bring in some new blood, probably younger actors to attract those coveted, picky 18-49 viewers.

5. Jake says:

This is amazing news! I Love Mary McDonnell, i was happy to hear she was made a regular for season 7 and now shes going to be the lead in the spin-off. Kyra Sedwick will be missed greatly but i think this is a great idea. i cant wait to watch The Closer’s final season and the spin-off, Major Crimes.

6. MJ says:

Great news — just hoping they keep Provenza!! I watch The Closer, Rizzoli and Isles, Leverage, and Memphis Beat already and am really looking forward to seeing how they do with the spinoff as well as Falling Skies. TNT seems to be on a roll!

7. deedeedragons says:

Here’s hoping she stays away from mail slots.

8. Ingmar says:

I’ll watch The Closer ofcourse aswell as it’s spin-off.

9. NickC says:

That’s the first i have heard about “Gateway”..sounds different from all the cop related shows.Im going to have to try and find out more about it…Thanks Matt

10. Janey says:

A Closer spin-off with Raydor. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

11. XK says:

Cannot stand Raydor, so I won’t be watching the spinoff.

12. Xboxbydegrees says:

Will Major Crimes consist of the other actors from The Closer cast?

13. LayneJ says:

DALLAS?????? I’m hoping that the reason it is missing from this announcement is because they just wrapped on shooting the pilot last week? But… would be nice to know what they’re thinking!!

14. Steve T says:

Like Mary McDonnell but don’t like the Raydor character. They will have to warm her up quite a bit. I think they were trying to do that in the Christmas episode, maybe in anticipation of her becoming the lead.

15. cfaddct says:

I just hope the scripts for R&I are better than last year, because I’ve seen more plausible storylines on soap operas.

16. LDSK says:

I have a feeling they are going to show us some new sides to the Raydor character. Just remember folks, this is the same team that brought us the wonderful Brenda Lee Johnson. They know how to write strong, interesting and qwerky characters. I love Mary McDonnell and have faith in the production team. I will definately be watching.

17. tums1956 says:

Delightful to hear that Mary McDonnell will be back in a lead role in a TV series…now if they can just figure out a way for her character to have a hot and romantic relationship with a handsome Hispancic actor named…let’s see Edward James Olmos–I’d really be in heaven.

So say we all!

18. Nerdista says:

So that John Wells show just sounds like Twin Peaks. And I’m from WA state and the Pacific NW isn’t really all that mystical. I mean, we’ve no vampires or werewolves, but we do have the occasional republican. But I guess we have enough fog to make it seem otherworldly…

19. Jimmy says:

I give TNT credit for getting back into the movie-of-the-week business since the networks no longer do so. Just a shame they went with such lame stories, most of which are little more than glorified romance novels.

20. We have a chance of seeing Tess Monaghan on TV? Awesome. Is it too much to hope they’ll film on location in Baltimore and its vicinity?

21. Janet says:

I refuse to watch the Closer spinoff! If there is no Kyra, then I am not watching. I could just cry. I love her whole squad,they have become like family.This is heartbreaking.

22. John B. says:

I agree that they need to keep Flynn & Provenza!! If anyone can succeed with a spin off the Closer that would be TNT… A station that thinks outside the box and takes huge risks which I applaud them for!! I will certainly miss Kyra but hopefully Pope will be on the new show as well.. I am looking forward to Falling Skies, Memphis Beat, Rizzoli & Isles, the return of Southland & of course Leverage!! I wish they could have left Hawthorne off of that list… I will definitely be glued this summer for all of my favorites!!!

23. Vicki says:

I’m not saying Mary McDonnell isn’t a good actress, but her character on The Closer is not endearing (or very interesting) and her monotone voice puts me to sleep. Guess I could DVR Major Crimes and watch it when I can’t sleep…

24. Vicki says:

A spin off with Flynn & Provenza…yeah, I like that idea!

25. Shell says:

Wonder what happened to Memphis Beat?? Not only didn’t TNT bring it to iTunes, it took the 1st season OFF!!

I’m having a hard time with the idea of Mary McDonnell taking the lead, if that’s what’s going to happen. They’re going to have to make some *major* changes to her character if they go that way!!

26. beth martino says:

I was sick when I heard about Kyra leaving the series!! but I have gotten used to the idea by now. But Mary McDonnell leading the new spinoff – that is nauseating!! I am sorry to say. First her dyed black hair is inappropriate ( I have gray hair) for her age and her curse attitude (in character) is so unappealing. Please keep the remaining cast!!!!!

27. Sylvia says:

I am not sure MM is the right angle to explore….keeping F&P but what about Tao?- Gabriel?- even Taylor (soooo predictable- but sooooo Gosset is sooo good at it…)…it’s a package thing…M&M just doesn’t fit in unless she reappears after major caracther overhaul…very boring drone like talking should be the first thing to go….anyway- Kyra- Thank YOU!!! it’s been real fun watchin’yall….!

28. noreen says:

I just love this show and Brenda Lee and her crew are so entertaining I will miss, miss, miss, this show. I am watching the DVD series now and it is just as good now as when first seen. Of course I will give the spin off a chance. But MM is no KYRA, and the chemistry of this program is not repeated very often.

29. gsoblessedt says:

I WILL MISS NEW EPISODES OF THE CLOSER,I JUST HOPE THEY DO NOT STOP SHOWING THE RERUNS…I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO WATCHING THE NEW SHOW…

30. jopom from oz says:

g’day we in oz just liked it the way it is why fix it if it aint bust? guess that I shall just keep watching the repeats

31. Sheila says:

Sorry to see the CLosure end but i am sure the Major crimes show with mm will be just great. Thanks Kyra for entertaining us.

32. I enjoy, lead to I discovered just what I was looking for. You’ve ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye