Ratings: NCIS, Good Wife Finales Surge, The Voice Propels NBC to Demo Victory

The season finales of NCIS, NCIS: LA and The Good Wife propelled CBS to a first place finish Tuesday night among total viewers, while NBC was tops among adults 18-49 thanks to another dominant performance from The Voice.

8/7c | NCIS closed out its eighth season as the night’s most-watched program with 18.1 million viewers. The CBS juggernaut also scored a rare demo victory over Glee (3.8 vs. 3.5). The Fox smash drew 8.8 million viewers, down a tick from the previous week. The season finale of One Tree Hill was up slightly in audience and demo (1.6/0.7).

9/8c | Dancing With the Stars‘ results show led the hour in viewers and 18-49 (17.7 mil/3.4), followed by NCIS: LA (15.4 mil/3.3) and the second half of The Biggest Loser: Couples (7.6 mil/3.1). The series finale of Hellcats, meanwhile, averaged 1.1 million viewers.

10/9c | Sunday-bound Good Wife ended its spectacular second with its best numbers in seven months (12.4 mil/2.5). NBC’s Voice placed third in viewers (behind Wife and second place ABC’s steady Body of Proof), but won the hour — and the night — in the demo (4.1).

What did you tune into this Tuesday, TVLine TVfanatics?

1. KDW says:

Any word on the season finale ratings for Breaking In? I heard Fox was looking at last night’s ratings to see whether they would save the show or not.

• Liz says:

According to TVbytheNumbers, it fell and is staying canceled unfortunately. I think Fox purposely killed it by moving it on opposite DWTS and The Biggest Loser.

• Chelsea says:

I think FOX did this on purpose because it wanted to cancel the show! They did this without notice and did it to compete with Biggest loser & Dancing with the Stars & NCIS:LA. They should have pushed it further instead of moving the date unannounced.

• jenna says:

I can’t believe they changed the date unannounced, really what can you expect (ratings wise) when people don’t know the change??

2. xav says:

Just like networks to move a show that’s doing well. GRRR.

3. Tommy says:

Any news on Breaking In, only ratings with a renewal on the line.

4. teniba says:

great tgw is now getting numbers it deserves

5. Lu says:

I am a loyal NCIS fan and this season finally was not that good. I got distracted by Tony, I usually do but I just keep thinking did he gain weight because he is look more and more like Robert Wagner (Tony TV dad). We will see what next season hold cant wait.

• Mel says:

I have to say i agree. I didn’t think this season has been as good. Then again, season 6 and 7 has been my favourite seasons so it had a lot to live up to, but i felt a little disappointed. Still, i am super excited for next season

6. BRETT says:

How come no one is talking about GLEE’s dip in total viewers? I remember a time when it was getting 10 million viewers overall, and now it’s way below that. Sure, the demo is still awesome, but there’s a downwards trend there. I am so happy for THE GOOD WIFE. Last night’s was amazing, as usual. I can’t wait to see where they take the stories next season.

• Mikey says:

They’re trying to downplay GLEE’s dip by saying the numbers are just as good based on DVR figures! No one seems to want to address that this season (especially since return from recent hiatus) has been WEAK!! So far, only 3 episodes have been worthwhile – “Original Songs”, “Born This Way” and (barely) “Funeral”….”Prom” was very disappointing, as was the “Rumours” episode. I absolutely hated “Night of Neglect”….next week better bring it home, or I may be GLEE-free next season!!

• cc says:

I’m sure the fact that the other shows were season finales while Glee was not also makes it easier to DVR it and watch later. I’m sure the season finale numbers will be better. Of course, people will believe whatever they want to believe.

7. Denise says:

TGW isn’t surging, its still getting a 2.5 in the 18-49 demo. Of course its better than a 2.1 but its hardly a smash hit as some make it out to seem. The move to Sundays will cut the demo number even lower and I would not be surprised is next season is the end or if TGW then goes off to Friday nights.

• Esta says:

I have never seen any body call TGW a “smash,” where are you looking? It’s got critics love and is obviously awesome but it has always struggled in ratings. Whats your beef? Are you Lauren Gramm? LMAO

8. Steve T says:

Glad that the NCIS numbers continue to be good but I was less than impressed with the finale. Lots of hype for a show that ended up being a little boring.

9. Linda says:

Hate to say this, and I don’t care how high the ratings are, I think for me personally NCIS is getting severely close to jumping the shark and last night’s finale was just more evidence of that in my book.

This used to be a show about a loving and humorous gang who caught bad guys together. Just a simple but incredibly fun and entertaining show and despite what the critics claimed there was nothing wrong with that.

What the hell happened to that show? Now they spend months building up these overly tangled confusing plot lines. They promise come May there will will be some big reveal causing dynamic forward movement unlike anything we have ever seen before. Instead the past few seasons it ends up being the same old crap just being presented in a seemingly endless recycle mode.

The traitor in their midst has been done with Lee. Tony being selected for a special mission and keeping secrets from the rest of the team, was done with Jenny and the Frog. Gibbs being kept out of the loop has been done by Jenny and Leon. It’s supposed to be some big difference just because it is the new Sec Nav this time?

Then we always have the sword of Damacles hanging one of the teams head, every May. Not to mention the writers are now spending more time on Tony and Ziva’s outside dating lives, then they are on the group solving crimes. Get them together or don’t already, I don’t care either way.

Just quit bringing in thie endless parade of semi-regulars who take too much time away from the rest of the cast. The only semi-regular who adds anything of value is Fornell. Put all the rest in the trash bin forever.

I will give the writers a chance next year, to bring back the show I have loved for so long, but if it dosen’t get better soon, I am out. I know they don’t care cause the ratings are so high, its just IMHO this is no longer the show I fell in love with. My sister who is a bigger fan than I am says the same thing.

• jelena says:

Amen, Linda. I have been a *huge* fan of this show, but you’ve just outlined every problem I have with it now.

10. Janelle says:

Why do Americans love brainless procedural crap like NCIS?

11. NoChance says:

Jealous much? ‘NCIS’ ratings are fantastic and pretty danged impressive for a show that just finished its 8th season.

Don’t like? Don’t watch. It’s that simple.
    I don’t watch any reality show, just not my thing but don’t slam them either.

12. Mel says:

NCIS final half of season was too busy making the storyline complex and not working on any relationships, a little bit disappointed

13. Alyssa says:

Okay, for those who have pointed it out, NCIS has changed. What can you expect from a show after 8 seasons? They’ve solved every type of weird crime, and it’s been difficult to not make the exact same episode x-years later. It’s not better or worse: it’s just different. I admit, I love the first few seasons because of the loads of humor between team members, but I also like seeing these more angst ridden sides of these characters. The complexity just makes audiences think, and many people just don’t want to do that.

Though not my favorite season (season 3 undeniably wins that), I very much enjoyed season 8 of NCIS and hope that it gets even better next season.

14. ah says:

As a massive NCIS fan I too was a bit disappointed with this season. I just found it rather dull but as it has been said above that is to be expected after 8 seasons. I just found none of the episodes particularly memorable as I have with past episodes. However it is a very good show and I shall continue to watch.

I did however think NCIS:LA put up a very good showing this season and I enjoyed it immensely.

15. Jeannie says:

Hello; get a crip people. It’s a TV show not life and death. I like season 8. Just I have like NCIS since it’s introduction on JAG. I do not believe that they should put couples together that work together especially in law enforcement and yes rule # 12. Tony/Ziva McGee/Abby. I do think they should all be allowed to have a girlfriend or boyfriend outside of halls of NCIS. Except for EJ I just do not like the character. Ray I am not sure about. This new mole (yes it seems like a repeat)but I can handle it just as long it’s not one of the main cast:Gibbs, Ziva, McGee, Abby, Ducky, Palmer it probably won’t be Vance (since he was there in the meeting with Tony and the SecNav) and Tony well he is the investigator. Anyhow people breath, relax summer will be over before you know it.

16. Steve Sherwood says:

June 7,2011 NCIS.

This had to be the worst episode I ever saw. The story was fine, but for it to narrated step by step ruined it. I hope that this
    will be the only one,else I will never watch it again. It was terrible, What were you thinking ????