Ashton Kutcher Takes Stage at CBS Upfront, Calls Men Gig 'The Best Job in Show Business'

Those in attendance at CBS’ upfront presentation Wednesday afternoon got their first glimpse of a post-Charlie Sheen Two and a Half Men when Ashton Kutcher took to the stage alongside his new costars Jon Cryer and Angus T. Jones.

“It’s unbelievable to be here,” an enthusiastic Kutcher told the advertiser-packed crowd at New York’s Carnegie Hall. “Honestly, I never probably in my 13 years in show business received more emails and phone calls from people congratulating me for this job.

CBS Unveils 2011-12 Fall Schedule

“You’d almost think I won the lotto or something,” continued Kutcher, before adding with a laugh, “which I kinda of did.” (Kutcher reportedly will pocket roughly 750K an episode for his Men duties.) “I got the best job in show business and I’m ecstatic about that.  When I was very young somebody told me that if you want to be successful in life, surround yourself with the best, work your ass off and you can get there. And I am surrounded by the best and I will work my ass off and I could not be more excited.”

Cryer also snuck in a few words, saying he was “incredibly happy” about Kutcher’s arrival. “I brought myself to a place of incredible excitement about our new beginning, which I’m going to refer to as One and Two Half Men.”

Spoilers on Bones, Castle, HIMYM, The Office, Private Practice and More!

Conspicuously absent from CBS’ 90-minute dog and pony show: any mention of Kutcher’s embattled predecessor. And Kutcher wasn’t the only CBS star banned from the proceedings. An extended segment featuring highlights of the past year in CBS News failed to acknowledge the work of departing anchor Katie Couric. All together now: Ouch.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Controversy, Fall TV Preview, News

1. Derek says:

So, he’s younger than Sheen’s bro, older than the kid, so I’m guessing he’s a cousin or something?….

2. Amanda says:

I’m not concerned with who he’s playing. I’m sure they have a great idea worked up. I am curious how Charlie gets written out though.

3. Donna-Marie says:

I’ll watch the first show, but not expecting much, which is good. Although he acted stupidly, really going to miss Charlie Sheen. Regarding Lorre, where there’s smoke there’s fire.

• Mark says:

LOL…Interesting that it was two people with massive egos, drug problems, persecution complexes and a raging case of narcissistic personalility disorder (sheen and roseanne) who are the ones who had trouble with Lorre. All the other people who have worked on all over his shows…not so much.

• Zzz's says:

People with massive egos, persecution complexes and a raging case of narcissistic personality disorder should stop writing the seriously-unfunny, but aptly named, vanity cards.

• Bob says:

And let’s not forget about Cybill Shepherd and Brett Butler battles.

• Molly says:

Roseanne wrote a really interesting article for NYMag you should check out. Even though it’s written from her perspective, I think the problems regarding Charlie are SO much more ridiculous than what went on with Roseanne.

4. EveDallas says:

Do we know yet if they are going to reboot this fall or wait for mid season? What about the storyline? How are they going to fit him in? Wasn’t today the deadline for all of this? Or do they just have to have a plan and get back to the studio at a later date.

• mags says:

Kutcher should start on the first episode this fall. They had to get an actor cast first, and now they’ll write to work him in. Casting Kutcher means a different story than if they had cast their first choice, Hugh Grant. The writers are working now, but they don’t go back to filming the episodes for several months.

5. alex taddei says:

is not good for this show,he is a morron

6. Tracy says:

“And Kutcher wasn’t the only CBS star banned from the proceedings”….oops, think you meant to write Sheen here…..

7. CurryFan says:

“And Kutcher wasn’t the only CBS star banned from the proceedings.” Michael, I think you meant to say that SHEEN wasn’t the only one banned from the proceedings!

8. Davey says:

Now if they can actually make the show funny, that would make me want to watch it again.

9. Lisa says:

I will not be watching. The show was Charlie – his life. Tossing him out and putting in someone else won’t work IMO. I feel sorry for Ducky and Angus … but hopefully they will land on their feet elsewhere. Nothing against Ashton – will always love Kelso, but this was Charlie’s show – without him it will not last.

10. Bella says:

Kutcher is not a moron, you’re equating him with his characters. I loved Two and a Half Men when it first started, but haven’t watched the last couple of years because it just became more raunchy than funny. I’m certainly willing to give this cast change the benefit of the doubt. I hope it’s successful.

11. Hanna says:

They should had just canceled the show if they didn’t want Charlie back. He was the show. This reboot is soooo stupid.

12. Mick says:

This a great move for Ashton he really gets to shine at what he is good at, television and he actually knows the old rule of thumb everyone is replaceable.

13. Amy says:

I think bringing on Ashton Kutcher is the greatest move they could have made. Now, when parents want to REALLY scare their kids off using drugs, they don’t have to talk about addiction or overdoses or jail time; they can just say, “If you get hooked on drugs, you might be replaced by Ashton Kutcher.” The youth of America will be scared straight in no time.

14. Dr. Lector says:

Kutcher HAS to be an illegitimate son of Charlie’s. Charlie dies and leaves his house to the son he never knew and Allan has to beg Kutcher’s character to stay in the house and mooch off of him. Pretty simple solution that could be pretty funny. And timely with the whole Schwartzenager situation.

• @Dr. Lector says:

Ashton Kutcher is only 12 years younger than Sheen, so he can’t be his son. AK is 33-years-old.

• ecm says:

So what? Just because he’s in his 30s, doesn’t mean that the character will be. He could be in his 20s, the character, I mean. Ashton was in his 20s when he was on “That ’70s Show,” acting as a teenager.

I, for one, cannot wait to see what they do. It’s going to be fresh. I was getting sick of Sheen’s character with all the womanizing and boozing. We can see that in his real life.

• Rebecca Dole says:

I think Ashton should be Evelyn’s love-child of the 80’s son, and quietly gave birth to him when the boys were away at college. He looks her up, she accepts him, and they go out to lunch with Alan and Jake to tell them. They mistake him for a young lover, and she tells them the whole story. Alan asks if she has told Charlie yet, and she says “Yes, but when I did, he fainted and hit his head on the marble floor at the “Tiki Bar”. He is now in a coma at the Malibu Hospital, and they don’t know when he will snap out of it!” Meanwhile, Berta falls madly in love with this new-found 1/2 brother, and begs Alan to let Ashton to live with them.

15. mags says:

Ashton Kutcher can’t act and should be thankful for any job he gets. It is sick that Kutcher will join the show as one of the highest paid actors on TV, even though he has never carried a show. They had better be giving Jon Cryer at least as much as Kutcher. Actually, they should give Cryer more.

16. Raksha says:

I am actually really happy with the casting change. I think Kutcher will be absolutely awesome in ‘Two And A Half Men.’ That is not to say that Charlie Sheen wasnt good, he was brilliant in the show, but he is history now….and that too due to his own…shenanighans.

Oooohhh….I hope Kutcher’s character has a romance with Rose!!!

17. Kerry says:

The haircut of Ashton looks so cheap and filthy, why can’t he at least have a good looking like Charlie? I will never watch TAAHM again, if he does look like this when the show starts. Please cut your stupid mat!!! And how about a razor????

Jon Cryer always lookes nice!! :D

18. Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have
    any problems with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was
    hacked and I ended up losing months of hard work due to no data backup.
    Do you have any solutions to stop hackers?