Fall TV Preview

Ashton Kutcher Takes Stage at CBS Upfront, Calls Men Gig 'The Best Job in Show Business'

Those in attendance at CBS’ upfront presentation Wednesday afternoon got their first glimpse of a post-Charlie Sheen Two and a Half Men when Ashton Kutcher took to the stage alongside his new costars Jon Cryer and Angus T. Jones.

“It’s unbelievable to be here,” an enthusiastic Kutcher told the advertiser-packed crowd at New York’s Carnegie Hall. “Honestly, I never probably in my 13 years in show business received more emails and phone calls from people congratulating me for this job.

CBS Unveils 2011-12 Fall Schedule

“You’d almost think I won the lotto or something,” continued Kutcher, before adding with a laugh, “which I kinda of did.” (Kutcher reportedly will pocket roughly 750K an episode for his Men duties.) “I got the best job in show business and I’m ecstatic about that.  When I was very young somebody told me that if you want to be successful in life, surround yourself with the best, work your ass off and you can get there. And I am surrounded by the best and I will work my ass off and I could not be more excited.”

Cryer also snuck in a few words, saying he was “incredibly happy” about Kutcher’s arrival. “I brought myself to a place of incredible excitement about our new beginning, which I’m going to refer to as One and Two Half Men.”

Spoilers on Bones, Castle, HIMYM, The Office, Private Practice and More!

Conspicuously absent from CBS’ 90-minute dog and pony show: any mention of Kutcher’s embattled predecessor. And Kutcher wasn’t the only CBS star banned from the proceedings. An extended segment featuring highlights of the past year in CBS News failed to acknowledge the work of departing anchor Katie Couric. All together now: Ouch.

Comments (39)

• So, he’s younger than Sheen’s bro, older than the kid, so I’m guessing he’s a cousin or something?….

Comment by Derek – May 18, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who says he has to be related to anyone?

Comment by Bob – May 19, 2011 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not concerned with who he’s playing. I’m sure they have a great idea worked up. I am curious how Charlie gets written out though.

Comment by Amanda – May 18, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Explosive herpes.

Comment by postsalot – May 18, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He ran of with Rose in the season 8 finale, so it would make sense to continue with that.

Comment by Andrew – May 18, 2011 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Finale? I thought the show abruptly stopped production in the middle of the season??

Comment by Abe Froman – May 19, 2011 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch the first show, but not expecting much, which is good. Although he acted stupidly, really going to miss Charlie Sheen. Regarding Lorre, where there’s smoke there’s fire.

Comment by Donna-Marie – May 18, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL…Interesting that it was two people with massive egos, drug problems, persecution complexes and a raging case of narcissistic personalility disorder (sheen and roseanne) who are the ones who had trouble with Lorre. All the other people who have worked on all over his shows…not so much.

Comment by Mark – May 18, 2011 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • People with massive egos, persecution complexes and a raging case of narcissistic personality disorder should stop writing the seriously-unfunny, but aptly named, vanity cards.

Comment by Zzz's – May 18, 2011 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And let’s not forget about Cybill Shepherd and Brett Butler battles.

Comment by Bob – May 19, 2011 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Roseanne wrote a really interesting article for NYMag you should check out. Even though it’s written from her perspective, I think the problems regarding Charlie are SO much more ridiculous than what went on with Roseanne.

Comment by Molly – May 19, 2011 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do we know yet if they are going to reboot this fall or wait for mid season? What about the storyline? How are they going to fit him in? Wasn’t today the deadline for all of this? Or do they just have to have a plan and get back to the studio at a later date.

Comment by EveDallas – May 18, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kutcher should start on the first episode this fall. They had to get an actor cast first, and now they’ll write to work him in. Casting Kutcher means a different story than if they had cast their first choice, Hugh Grant. The writers are working now, but they don’t go back to filming the episodes for several months.

Comment by mags – May 18, 2011 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is not good for this show,he is a morron

Comment by alex taddei – May 18, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Should someone who can’t spell, “moron” really be making this comment?

Comment by Angela – May 18, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Awesome

Comment by Kate – May 18, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Boom, roasted!!

Comment by TLee – May 18, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • did it ever occur to you that he might be from a foreign country? and accordingly probably speaks more languages then u do? ;)

Comment by el toro – May 18, 2011 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And in what country is “you” is spelled “U” instead of Y-O-U?

Comment by Alexis – May 18, 2011 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Let’s point out that he incorrectly used “then” instead of “than u do” as it should be as long as we’re all being spelling/grammar police.

Comment by Greg – May 19, 2011 12:40 AM PDT
    • You are aLL morMOns!

Comment by alex tadda – May 18, 2011 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow…using “Mormons” as an insult…classy.

Comment by Gwen – May 19, 2011 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Perhaps it was a whimsical misspelling of morons in keeping with the spirit of this grammar cop sub-thread. Yes, that’s probably it.

Comment by Gwen's brain – May 19, 2011 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “And Kutcher wasn’t the only CBS star banned from the proceedings”….oops, think you meant to write Sheen here…..

Comment by Tracy – May 18, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the same thing! I read it over a couple of times thinking I’d just missed something…

Comment by Irish – May 18, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “And Kutcher wasn’t the only CBS star banned from the proceedings.” Michael, I think you meant to say that SHEEN wasn’t the only one banned from the proceedings!

Comment by CurryFan – May 18, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now if they can actually make the show funny, that would make me want to watch it again.

Comment by Davey – May 18, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not be watching. The show was Charlie – his life. Tossing him out and putting in someone else won’t work IMO. I feel sorry for Ducky and Angus … but hopefully they will land on their feet elsewhere. Nothing against Ashton – will always love Kelso, but this was Charlie’s show – without him it will not last.

Comment by Lisa – May 18, 2011 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kutcher is not a moron, you’re equating him with his characters. I loved Two and a Half Men when it first started, but haven’t watched the last couple of years because it just became more raunchy than funny. I’m certainly willing to give this cast change the benefit of the doubt. I hope it’s successful.

Comment by Bella – May 18, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should had just canceled the show if they didn’t want Charlie back. He was the show. This reboot is soooo stupid.

Comment by Hanna – May 18, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This a great move for Ashton he really gets to shine at what he is good at, television and he actually knows the old rule of thumb everyone is replaceable.

Comment by Mick – May 18, 2011 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think bringing on Ashton Kutcher is the greatest move they could have made. Now, when parents want to REALLY scare their kids off using drugs, they don’t have to talk about addiction or overdoses or jail time; they can just say, “If you get hooked on drugs, you might be replaced by Ashton Kutcher.” The youth of America will be scared straight in no time.

Comment by Amy – May 18, 2011 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kutcher HAS to be an illegitimate son of Charlie’s. Charlie dies and leaves his house to the son he never knew and Allan has to beg Kutcher’s character to stay in the house and mooch off of him. Pretty simple solution that could be pretty funny. And timely with the whole Schwartzenager situation.

Comment by Dr. Lector – May 18, 2011 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ashton Kutcher is only 12 years younger than Sheen, so he can’t be his son. AK is 33-years-old.

Comment by @Dr. Lector – May 18, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So what? Just because he’s in his 30s, doesn’t mean that the character will be. He could be in his 20s, the character, I mean. Ashton was in his 20s when he was on “That ’70s Show,” acting as a teenager.

I, for one, cannot wait to see what they do. It’s going to be fresh. I was getting sick of Sheen’s character with all the womanizing and boozing. We can see that in his real life.

Comment by ecm – May 20, 2011 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Ashton should be Evelyn’s love-child of the 80′s son, and quietly gave birth to him when the boys were away at college. He looks her up, she accepts him, and they go out to lunch with Alan and Jake to tell them. They mistake him for a young lover, and she tells them the whole story. Alan asks if she has told Charlie yet, and she says “Yes, but when I did, he fainted and hit his head on the marble floor at the “Tiki Bar”. He is now in a coma at the Malibu Hospital, and they don’t know when he will snap out of it!” Meanwhile, Berta falls madly in love with this new-found 1/2 brother, and begs Alan to let Ashton to live with them.

Comment by Rebecca Dole – June 6, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ashton Kutcher can’t act and should be thankful for any job he gets. It is sick that Kutcher will join the show as one of the highest paid actors on TV, even though he has never carried a show. They had better be giving Jon Cryer at least as much as Kutcher. Actually, they should give Cryer more.

Comment by mags – May 18, 2011 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am actually really happy with the casting change. I think Kutcher will be absolutely awesome in ‘Two And A Half Men.’ That is not to say that Charlie Sheen wasnt good, he was brilliant in the show, but he is history now….and that too due to his own…shenanighans.

Oooohhh….I hope Kutcher’s character has a romance with Rose!!!

Comment by Raksha – May 19, 2011 02:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The haircut of Ashton looks so cheap and filthy, why can’t he at least have a good looking like Charlie? I will never watch TAAHM again, if he does look like this when the show starts. Please cut your stupid mat!!! And how about a razor????

Jon Cryer always lookes nice!! :D