American Idol Top 3 Performance Night: Who's Going to the Finale? Who Will Fall Short?

Not to get all Randy Jackson on you — because that would be downright felonious — but “WE GOT ANOTHER CLOSE ONE RIGHT HERE!” Indeed, with the American Idol Top 3 results show less than 24 hours away, it’s impossible to predict with any certainty which of the remaining combatants — Haley Reinhart, Lauren Alaina, and Scotty McCreery — will advance to next week’s Season 10 finale. There were several lovely performances — Haley physically stumbling but vocally soaring on a Led Zeppelin ditty; Lauren showing some radio readiness in the “Jimmy Iovine selects” round; Scotty stretching his vocals a little further on a Kenny Rogers track — that ought to get the contestants’ fan bases activated, but nothing so radical or show-stopping that it’s likely to cause any last-minute conversions, either.

I’ve got a full recap to write (as well as a raging fever and sore throat!), so I’ll save the rest of my opinions for my full episode recap, which will post overnight here at [UPDATE: Full recap is now liiiiive!] Until then, let’s review tonight’s set list:

Scotty McCreery: Lonestar’s “Amazed”
Lauren Alaina: Faith Hill’s “Wild One”
Haley Reinhart: Led Zeppelin’s “What Is and What Should Never Be”
Scotty McCreery: Thompson Square’s “Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not”
“16-Year-Old” Lauren Alaina: The Band Perry’s “If I Die Young”
Haley Reinhart: Fleetwood Mac’s “Rhiannon”
Scotty McCreery: Kenny Rogers’ “She Believes in Me”
Lauren Alaina: Lee Ann Womack’s “I Hope You Dance”
Haley Reinhart: Alanis Morissette’s “You Oughta Know”

And with that, I turn it over to you.

Sound off in our polls about tonight’s best and worst performances, head down to the comments to expound on said opinions, then scroll down for the latest three-part episode of the most important series on the Internet right now, Idoloonies. And for all my Idol news and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Loading video...
Loading video...
Loading video...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Ablo says:

I thought the night went to Haley even though the song choices from the judges were odd. I really, really like Haley’s first song.

• Terry says:

That was a horrible judges pick, but no surprise there, they’ve been trying to sabatoge Haley all bleeping season. Don’t let them! Vote, vote, vote, and then vote some more for Haley!!! Lets get our little comeback kid to the top 2!

• Growlers United says:

I’ve been hitting redial for Haley and most of the time I hear “Thanks for voting for contestant 3” but sometimes I hear “Thanks for voting for contestant 1!!” or #2!! Even though it’s the same number on redial…What’s up with that?

• stephanie says:

thats no good!!

• J. says:

Check again — you must have another no. on your redial.

• Brenda says:

Haley kicked major butt tonight! She killed it on Zepplin, I loved Rhiannon, but I’m a Fleetwood Mac fan, and while I didn’t care for the judge’s pick, I still felt she did a goog job on it. And did Randy & Jlo both actually say that round one went to Haley?!? What a spunky lil firecracker! GO Haley! This Durbin fan didn’t at all hold Durbin’s loss against anyone other than the judges. With James gone, all of my votes that would have been split between James & Haley, Just all went to Haley.
          To clarify one other point, Ryan told Scotty on the show that he had never been in bottom two the same week he tried to make Scotty pick whether Lusk & Lauren or James & Haley were.
          Loved the comment about voting for Haley’s dad :)

• robert says:

I think you’re just another conspiracy theorist that hears voices. LOL People voting for Scotty have said their votes were going to Lauren, and I”ve read where people voting for Lauren saying their vote went to Haley or Scotty……I find it incredible that the overwhelming majority of people who voted never experienced what you and a few other wackos with an obvious agenda talk about :-)

• Shi says:

This happened to me several times, as well. Sabotage and the fix was in! There is no way this should happen but it did…several times. Heck, one call for Haley could have equaled 5 calls to Scotty or Lauren. You never know.

• debi says:

Even Jimmy picked a lousy song for Haley; at least she showed some variety and sang well on that lousy song and that wind machine don’t get me going. Randy should be tarred and feather and Jlo, run her out of town. Steven at least has some sense. Worst final 3 in a long time, except for Haley. If a country singer wins, saves us all.

• Alice says:

Did you notice how Randy said that Haley slayed Zeppelin? Something tells me he’s been watching some Idoloonies. I don’t think the judging worked this year at all; it’s been a hot mess and I think that some of the more with it viewers have noticed this and gone to the critics for more legit thoughts. I mean, the “save the growler” movement can’t be the only thing on our side, right?

(And, this week, we actually have VFTW on the side of Haley as well).

• amy.. says:

If Haley makes it, Randy & JLo have to get on board or it would be embarrasing.
            Lauren reminds of the little girl on Star Search who wins for awhile, but eventually doesn’t get enough stars, so they bring out the big teddy bear. She can’t handle the truth. Your time is up little Lauren.
            Scotty & Haley for the Finale!

• Robert says:

I have to agree this year judging was much of a joke.Tyler can only say that’s beautiful and Randy and Jennifer really don’t speak up eaither. I am not a Haley fan and she made it this far so I guess she has enough fans to keep her going. In all reality James Durban should of been there tonight he is by far more talented than Haley and has more control on his vocals. I think the public should get to see how many votes each one gets. Also I think the voting should be no more than 5 to 10 votes per phone more of this open voting for two hours that’s just to extreme. Sometimes I think the show is fixed. Come on Casey and Jacob should never ao made it as far as they did and Haley no she should never of made it this far. She reminds me of the group Bitch two Albums then off the grid. Lauren and Scotty their doing Fantastic and I am not even a country fan. You will here there songs for many years to come and for the one who should of won this hands down James Durbin he will be remembered and listened to for many years to come also in the rock industry. All the rest will be FORGOTTEN

• wooster182 says:

Anybody else catch the judges call “You Oughta Know” soulful? I don’t think that word means what they think it means.

• joy2011 says:

@doug- you made a very good point about the judges subtle sabotage. Why did they show Lauren and Scotty receive their judges pick in front of adoring fans and Haley received hers in a car all alone, when I saw a video from her hometown footage where she got hers too surrounded by all her fans. Seems very suspicious to me. Please west coast don’t let them do this to her. Think about it why would they do that. VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!!!

• Owen says:

Okay, this has really got to stop. The show favors Lauren and Scotty more and the proof is that Haley got her judges pick in the back of a car….Now, its quite clear that JENNIFER LOPEZ does not favor Haley, she actually doesn’t like Haley as a performance much at all, besides the basic recognizing her chops. She did not stand (or stood reluctantly) on the Zepplin. She gave Lauren the last round before she saw Haley (though, honestly, I think Lauren did win the round-and not because the show conspired to give Haley a bad song, Haley did not find her way into the verses…and that was HER and her coach’s fault).) There are people on these boards who feel the same, they don’t like Haley, and that’s okay. It really is okay not to like Haley. I don’t agree with them, but I’m fine with them (and JLo) not liking Haley.

• linda says:

She actually got it when with her fans- but they showed her getting it in a car..who knows why?? You make a good point though-they dont show her with a flock of fans around her.

• leena says:

They showed Lee reading his on a plane last year. Enougha with the conspiracy theories. People just want something to blame if Haley goes home. If it were me, id blame her fumble on the lyrics in You Oughta Know, tho.

• Tusk says:

To be fair to the producers, did you notice how “made up” Haley was in her car? I think the reason they reshot that judge’s pick moment because the weather was horrendous at Haley’s event. You can find it on Youtube.

A dude won some competition to meet Haley and he handed her the phone. It was rainy and windy when she made her announcement, so they probably decided they wanted to put Haley in the best light, instead of use the shots they got in bad weather.

I suspect the producers of some shenanigans, not this time. I think this was just because they had unuseable footage at her event.

• J. says:

I don’t know.. unless the sound was bad, that sounds like it would have much more fun and dramatic.

• takakupo says:

I kinda agree. While I thought that it was a cute thought to have Haley in front of all her fans I think the producers just wanted a bit of difference in the scenery for something like that.

I still think that Haley gets a lot less screen time than the other contestants though.

• sue says:

This west coast voter is up to 450 votes for HALEY!! My phone is registered in the mountain time zone so I’m able to get a head start on voting. And I voted 50 times on line too! Go Haley…!!

• ROBERT says:

OMG you really need to take a break from your conspiracy theories….ALmost all season the JUDGES all thought Jacob walked on water, then they ordained James as the lock to win it all and now you’re crying poor Haley …….the judges want Lauren and Scotty to win? You really need to get a life!! ROFLMAO

• robert says:

Yes you do………..and I believe that point is on your head lol

• jaxguy says:

I LOVE YOU HALEY!!!!
        Tonight cemented my opinion on who should win it all. the Led Zep song was beyond my wildest expectations. That was outright brilliant. No one ever, except maybe Adam Lambert, has had better song choices than Haley. She is brave and bold, and most of the time it worked.
        Now back to the IDOL world. Jennifer wants Scotty to win so bad it almost is sickening.
        Now my conspiracy theory. Scotty has like no other contestant EVER, has been handed the least challenging song choices. This whole season has been tailored for him. The Kenny Rogers song was a cop out. And then the judges gave Lauren a piece of cake song that any decent singer could do well, then harnessed Haley with, without a question the MOST demanding song of the night. (Which she did a great job with.) Then after giving raves to the other 2 for their ok performances, actually criticized all but the chorus of You Ought to Know.
        What was once a funny, and chat worthy theory, in my opinion blew up into a full force affront. I do think they are trying to trip up Haley and have an all country finale. (Heck they may have actually physically tripped her tonight. But I guess we will never know.)
        I know this is only a television show and all that blah, blah, blah stuff, but I have invested almost 5 months into this and if goes the way I fear, this will be my last season of viewing. The Voice and X Factor hear I come.

• SharonM says:

I vote for her dad.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Made me laugh! :-)

And Scotty’s dad gave us the laugh out loud moment of the evening. I guess we saw where both of these kids get their talent.

• Blair says:

SO happy to see Haley’s dad out on the stage with his daughter shredding the life out of that guitar! amazing talent in that family! …yeah I vote for her dad too. Haley and her dad FTW!!

• RTW says:

*fist bump* to Mr. Reinhart. :)

• SybilT says:

All the judges’ picks were odd. Lauren sang the Nuts of Wonder Song (I might have voted for her if she’d sung THOSE lyrics), which is really a song a dad is supposed to sing for his daughter, right? Scotty sung a Kenny Rogers song was boooooooorrrrrrrrring, but it never matters what he sings. Haley sang a song with lyrics that can’t be sung on network TV.

Haley’s first song was the performance of the night, and one of the best of the season. Lauren, as usual, pulled back or simply wasn’t giving it her all. She sounded good, but she has so much unused potential. I wish she’d waited a few years. Scotty puts me to sleep.

Vote Haley!

• darcy's evil twin says:

SybilT – “I Hope You Dance” was a huge hit for LeeAnn Womack, who sung it to her two daughters. But it could easily be sung by a father to his daughter.
        LeeAnn Womack has a very pure, traditional country voice and she also had a hit with a very clever song called “I’ll Think of a Reason Later”. That would have been a good song for Lauren (if she could work on her breath control and support problems). And what is the deal with putting Lauren in those darned Lennon Sister’s gowns. GAG.

• marie says:

That’s it!!! Lennon Sisters gowns!!! Lol!!!

• kayk says:

Could Lauren’s outfits BE any more distractingly G*dawful? They range from your classic Lennon Sisters garb (good one, darcy’s evil twin) to stuff that looks cartoonish. I try to watch and appreciate that beautiful voice but I keep thinking about the really bad outfits as she’s singing…

• Lana says:

I don’t understand the hate for Scotty, he has been consistently great and he was awesome tonight. There is nothing wrong with being country why even Lauren is pure country. Haley was great too, but I think Scotty has the better voice and his personality is fun. He did all 3 songs great and each one was different and his voice went places that were new and great. However they all had their moments tonight and I don’t care who joins Scotty for the finals as both girls are good, but Haley has it a little bit over Lauren but I think that has to do with age more than one voice better than the other.

• D says:

My thing with Scotty is it’s the same ol’ thing every week. He hasn’t done anything that WOWs me, like Haley has with “I Who Have Nothing” and “House of the Rising Sun,” as well as with the Zeppelin song this week.

• Billy says:

And “B-B-B-Bennie & the Jets” and “Moanin'” and “Rolling In the Deep”…

• Tusk says:

I look back at Haley’s past performances and “Blue” was pretty remarkable too. We just didn’t notice. My bad.

• Li-Li says:

Lauren has no emotional connection to any song. She’s sweet, but it takes more than that. “I Hope You Dance” has a lovely, poignant message, totally lost in Lauren’s treacly smiles. Haley was spot on all night, even though the second two song choices were a bit off. She did a great job nevertheless. No problem with connecting to the lyrics for Haley!

• cat says:

couldn’t agree more…I have never ever felt any sort of emotion coming from lauren in any of her performances. best example: unchained melody. never heard a version of this song sang with such a lack of emotion

• I thought the song choices were genius for Haley. I thought they were a good mix of well known, and more obscure. Very chancy, but I think they paid off beautifully. I know that a lot of people feel that this blog and others a biased toward Haley, but if she wasn’t so good she wouldn’t be getting this deserved respect and credit.

I think Lauren’s mess up in her 2nd performance will do her in. I think she did a decent job in her last performance, but not enough to outshine all of those Scotty fans and rival Haley’s performances tonight.

• Aiden says:

I agree. It was kind of uncomfortable listening to the verses of “You Oughta Know”, but Haley completely sold the song on the chorus. It would’ve been great if they switched the order of personal picks and judges picks. Those guys’ song choices were a bit lame. Haley ending with the Led Zeppelin song would’ve been amazing.

• Maybelle says:

Yeah I thought I was gone too, but no. Ok, I have to ask this, Are you all on here just idiots, drones of Slezak, or really like Haley? I have never heard such commotion for her before. Where were you idiots weeks ago?

• Hoodwink says:

I, as one idiot, have been a Haley fan since “Benny and the Jets”. She had three pretty difficult songs to sing tonight. I was really wondering what she would do with “You Oughta Know”. That is just a little more tricky to pull of than “I Hope You Dance” or that Kenny Rogers song. Just a *little little little* bit more difficult, and she had to close the show with it.

• SUE says:

Been here all along…Haley all the way for this household!

• HungryHyrax says:

I was supporting her before Slezak had even noticed her!

• HH says:

Well I was noting her skills before Slezak even noticed her.

• HungryHyrax says:

sorry for the double post. Sometimes the HungryHyrax ones don’t seem to go through and never show up so I have to switch to HH instead for a few minutes, but this time it eventually did show up and yeah sorry for the double post.

• Lily says:

Why would you assume people are “idiots and drones” just because they don’t happen to like the same music you do? I’ve been a fan of Haley since she sang Blue. That’s before Slezak liked her. I also liked Lauren Suddeth before we even knew her as “Lauren Alaina” because I had watched YouTube videos of the rumored top 40 group before Hollywood Week was even broadcast. I liked Pia and Kendra Chantelle from that time also, and Casey since his Hollywood Week ‘Georgia on My Mind’ mashup, though by the time he left, I thought it was his time to go. I thought Kendra outsang Ashthon and was robbed of her rightful Wildcard spot and that Pia went out too early but in general, I thought this Top 4 was good, though I’d have preferred a James/Haley finale. I’ve been watching Idol since Season 7 and have been watching Slezak’s Idoloonies & Idolatry videos since Season 7 too. I don’t always agree with him, but I think he’s more fair and does more actual constructive critiquing and praising of all the contestants than the Idol judges do. (None of this “beautiful!” “perfect!” nonsense)

• Maybelle says:

Of all the comments I have ever read on this site you, Lily, well you have made the most sense to me. While your comment was on the tad side of “long”, I read ever word and agreed with most of it. Noone on here takes the time to say the why’s. I really agree with you on Kendra. I loved her and felt she was personally robbed on a spot of the 13. Her duet with Paul was fantastic. I actually have nothing against Haley, while I think she is different and talented I find her a Diva and self indulgent. I guess the same can be said of James but I can’t but to help to like the kid. While he is not vocally as controlled as Haley he was more entertaining and I felt his presence gone tonight more so because I was bored. I feel Slezak “throws” Haley down our throats so much so that I now want Scotty to win the whole damn thing!

• Robert says:

Wow some of that I agree with but out TV’s must have a different sound coming out James Durbin has more range and control of any of the contestants.

• adamfan says:

I am thinking the same Maybelle. No other site that covers American Idol is this pro Haley. No one here is going to even mention that she did scream out one of the songs yesterday. It is very difficult to support this site if it is so ridiculous. If Michael Slezak told all of you to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge would you?

• durandurbin says:

we are here because everything that Slezak says are make sense .you idiot..i think people like your mother will jump off the Broklyn Bridge if been told so..

• Absolutely Ablo says:

No doubt that Haley took the night for sure! Best vocals, best fashion choices, too! Can’t for her and Scotty in the final next week…

2. BumbledBee says:

Vote for Haley!

3. RTW says:

Idoloonies, IT’S TIME TO VOTE OUR BEHINDS OFF and send Haley Reinhart into the finale, it’s within reach! She delivered, now it’s up to us to return the favor. Everything we’ve been rallying for has led to this moment. AT&T, you think my last week’s texts were brutal?  I’m bringing it tonight and you’re gonna regret selling me that unlimited plan.

• SpyKi says:

You are awesome.

• RTW says:

*fist bump* to SpyKi.
        It’s now midnight on the East coast and my voting block has ended. Time for the other zones to pick up where we left off! I use an app when I SMS vote which sends out one vote every second (approximately), so even though ~6000 votes went out, I noticed from my bill it takes time for the messages to process, so maybe half of that made it within the 2-hour time frame. I sure hope those tweens were in bed before midnight because we need every vote we can get! VOTE HARD!!

• JVC says:

As a haley reinhart i have something to say: Is it too much to ask if we can get BOTH girls in the finale? I feel like they’ve both have earned it and it would restore the faith that female contestants can succeed on idol. It all seemed gone when we lost pia. I was hoping to see them both in the finale since top 7. And I thought it was impossible. But now that they are 2 of the final 3, I am thinking, “why not?” So i am power voting for both of them. Good luck Haley and Lauren.

• JBanana says:

do what you want, but I think you are cancelling yourself out, there’s no way Scotty’s not making the final.
        (don’t worry, I’m dialing while I type!)

• HH says:

basically your votes won’t count since scotty has led by miles and miles so you gotta go for haley only or by far mostyl only her she need a good number of votes to catch up to lauren and scotty is just wayyyyy ahead only in the final round can be remotely be knocked off

• Cshine says:

what’s this about scotty having “led by miles and miles”. The votes from one week do not carry over to the next. Only the vote cast tonight matter and all three started the night with ZERO.

• HH says:

well every week he has had at least 50% more votes than anyone and sometimes more votes than all others combined and last week again he was wayyyy ahead

• HungryHyrax says:

he is way ahead on early tracking again

• Cshine says:

HH where are you getting this information. Fox does not and never has released the actual vote totals (which people have been complaining about for years or at least everytime a results show has a “shocking” result). Since these numbers are not released where do you get your information? I personally would seriously question any vote numbers anyone posted anywhere, has this is fox protected and copywritted information.

• Amber says:

Are you forgetting that Scotty was in the bottom two last week? That means that both Haley and Lauren got more votes than him. He’s not safe.

• B.Rich says:

LOL, someone thought Scotty was in the botton 2…

• JBanana says:

Nobody knows who was the bottom 2 last week, they didn’t announce it. Don’t be fooled just because he was standing with James! Even James knew he was a goner as soon as it was just he and Scotty left…

• HungryHyrax says:

No they never said they were doing a bottom two they said they were doing a top three and dial idol had scotty getting more than 2x votes of anyone.
            Maybe maybe maybe maybe he could be knocked off in the finale but it seems not so likely and Haley might have better chance since she is different and might get all the anything but country voters plus all those voting for way more crazy interesting vocals.

• HungryHyrax says:

scotty is sooooooooo far head your votes will cancel and do nothing and Haley needs every last one to survive so if you like her more go all Haley
        i’d like haley lauren more but i dont think it will happen

• Cshine says:

there simply is no tracking of votes for Idol that anyone knows period. You guys must be going to some idol fan type site where you can vote, but these are not offical voting sites and have nothing to do with the show. While there are many that believe Fox should make the vote totals public (The LA Times, MTV, MSNBC and Washington Post to name a few) no one has ever learned the actual final vote totals for any show.

• Sybil says:

As much as I’d like an all girl finale, I think there’s no chance of that. Vote-splitting hurts Haley at this point, I’m afraid. Every vote counts. Pretend its Palm Beach County on Election Day 2000.

• jaxguy says:

To all you Scotty fans. YAWN! That’s all I have to say. The only thing exciting about Scotty’s voice is it’s deep. He’s not terrible unique or original. There is zero range. Sorry, but I think he is very pedestrian. Period. Lauren never takes a song to the special level. Yeah, she has a good voice, but she doesn’t have, at least for now, the ability to take to that place. That place that makes you wanna stand up and cheer. There was ONE special performance tonight that made me want to stand up and cheer and that was the Led Zep song by Haley. Now that was special and quite frankly pretty near brilliant. If you had told me that she was going to do THAT Zep song I would have thought she was crazy, but that was another one of the GREAT performances of the year.

• Corinne says:

A-freakin-men!!!!!! I also have unlimited texts with AT&T, and they will feel my wrath. Go HALEY!

4. Caitlin says:

It’s gonna be interesting – where will James’ voting base turn to? Will the country vote get split down the center between Lauren and Scotty? Will Haley continue to win people over? Very hard to predict with the night being pretty evenly match (if slightly boring … the only stand out song choice to me was Haley’s choice to do Zeppelin).

• linda says:

sadly, I think his base goes to either scotty or lauren- either way their voices votes will increase..they blame haley for his elimination..she might lose because thats what they will do-bums me out…she is lowest on the idol dial right now

• agrimesy says:

If Twitter is an accurate measure of perspective, the Durbin fans are freakin’ mad at everybody! I do not want to even visit their negative camp right now. I’m voting for Haley because she is my personal favorite, and I think she rocked it out tonight!

• Christina says:

But if you remember, the James Durbin fans said that they’d stop watching the show because of his ouster. So, perhaps we don’t need to even worry about where his votes would go? (Not that I believe they’d stop watching – if these threats were true, the ratings would have plummeted after Pia was kicked off)

• TLKC says:

This is so true! They’re not liking Scotty almost as much as Haley. They hate the judges, Nigel, everyone!

I actually think a lot of them are so absorbed in checking out and re-hashing James promo appearances that they might not vote at all.

It will be interesting to see this week’s ratings. Next week they’ll watch for James, of course. BTW, if Jimmy Paige (yay!) really is going to be there, I bet James works with him not Haley.

• Ronnie says:

I can’t see how the James fans will vote for Kenny Rogers and Faith Hill over Led Zeppelin. Though not voting at all is certainly possible, and the cute vote will go to Scotty. Lauren seems the person most likely to not get his votes.

• Joe says:

I really missed James tonight. My James votes from last week went to Scotty and Lauren this week. Sorry about all of you who have theories who will get James’s votes. The campaign for Haley is what knocked James out. Michael, who I normally like, has been, in my opinion, unfair to James. I have checked out other sites and found much more favorable evaluations on the performances of James. He was not off pitch as much as Michael says. And many of you blindly follow his opinions. Music teachers on other sites have stated that James was not out of tune as much as some have claimed. It is likely that that the James vote will be split. Also, some who voted for James will not vote at all, or they cast some votes but not in the
      numbers they did for James. The judges have been panned, but they have not been as bad as many complain. They are likely to be back next year.

• Lana says:

I agree I didn’t hear all those bad notes James was suppose to have hit, I thought his singing was great and I am a Scotty fan but James was awesome too. I don’t understand all this love for Haley alone, she had moments when she sounded screechy (something James was always blamed for but for some reason its okay if Haley does it) and sometimes you couldn’t hear her words like she may have forgotten the words and was glossing over it. She also had some great moments and her first song was one but her other two weren’t as great. I feel Scotty and Lauren have been more consistent than Haley.

• Amie says:

Excuse me? Are you implying that James was critiqued for something? He was always “In it to win it” and “the man to beat” I thought? No he was never critiqued and that was his downfall.

• Tusk says:

Erm, when did the Judges EVER “blame” James for screeching? When did they “blame” him for ANYTHING? Or are you agreeing with the judges and saying every James performance was perfect?

That’s the point.

Besides, I have seen Michael praise James when James has deserved it. Many times. You just chose to forget it to make your point.

• Amie says:

I’m tired of this crap that the Haley voters got James kicked out. Scotty, Lauren and Haley all got through so how is it Haley’s fault. Because she had an off week? Scotty has been boring since day one. Why is no one blaming Stefano for Pia’s knock out. Or Jacob for Casey’s? People just want to hate on Haley for no reason and voting against her is just as sad as the people who voted against Adam.

• Robert says:

I don’t hate Haley but Haley has not one but two off weeks in a row and off week at the begging. Durban should be there not Haley.however I am a huge Zep Fan and Haley didn’t slay it she never did it any justice.

• AK says:

Wow, so much delusion for one post. I don’t even know where to start.

• Billy says:

Yeah, like Robert Plant ever sang that song better than Haley…son, you’re “off week at the begging”, whatever the heck that means.

• pvrcbabe says:

Robert, I think you are delusional. Enough said!

• JamesOne says:

And I am getting tired of Haley fans knocking James for something he had no control over. No, James is not perfect, yes he did have pitchy vocals at times, but it is NOT his fault that the judges loved him and praised him often. Just as it is NOT Haley’s fault that the judges did critized her more than she deserved. On one side you say things against James, on the other side you get on to James fans who dare have a thing to say which you do not agree or like. You can’t have your cake and eat it too!

• Tusk says:

I think you are taking this on too personally.

You have to admit you have seen those over the top James fans who blame Haley because she smiled at him(a few second clip) at his elimination (it’s reported that she turned to Scotty and said she wanted to cry when James did his swan song).

They swear to vote against her not because they like someone else, but because they want her specifically to lose for something she doesn’t control (sound familiar?) They are the ones these remarks are meant toward.

The ascerbic James fans are what those rants about James’ pitch is about. They go on about how Haley should take criticism forgetting that James gets none.

If you are not like them, then these remarks are not directed at you.

Most, or a lot of Haley Fans wanted a Haley/James Final. Remember that.

• Joe says:

I completely agree – the energy was sapped out of our house w/ my daughter skipping the show altogether. Everytime I heard the finalists, I thought “Pia would have nailed that” or “James would have hit this out of the park”. If it’s an all girl final, they should hava a high heel race down the long stairs to make it interesting! Hey… how about a “Wipeout/American Idol” Crossover Special! THAT I’d watch!!!

• Nickelback says:

“He was not off pitch as much as Michael says” … but he was off pitch more than other contestants…i really love Durbin but i dont understand most of Durbin’s fans.. it’s toooo much.. enough with blaming haley, the producer etc.. please admit and accept that he’s lack of fans that is why he is voted off.. im not a Haley’s fan but i hve to admit that she’s got the superstar’s qualities.. that is why she got soooo many fans which i believe among them are celebrities.. so she got my vote

5. Kevin C. says:

Actually, my favorite performance of Haley’s was the middle one.

I didn’t think “You Oughta Know” was a bad choice for her at the time, but I was only thinking of her singing the chorus. While she nailed that part, the rest of the song was some of the worst she’s sounded all season.

All around not a really impressive night by anyone.

• HungryHyrax says:

yeah it was way too low for her and they have to know her voice has no power on the last few deep notes it was an uneven pick for her but the chorus did soar

she should’ve redone the fast verse and been what the heck and made them slow and different or raised the key and to heck with original version Randy told her to re-write MJ when she didn’t need to so why not

• darcy's evil twin says:

Kevin C. – I think part of the problem is “You Oughta Know” is just kind of a crappy song. Her peformance was better than I expected.

• Growlers United says:

It figures … that was a bad song for the judges to pick for Haley, I’m sure they did it on purpose to torpedo her. And suddenly they are all “Haley’s in it to win it”… don’t be fooled fans!! Vote vote vote!!

• Ronnie says:

Agreed. It is a crappy song. Its one of those songs without any melody outside of the screaming chorus. Its an anger anthem and one that judges in past seasons would tell contestants they should not have picked.
        Do we know who picked it? It didn’t seem like they told us which judges picked which songs… strange.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Who picked “You Oughta Know”? Could it be…SATAN?

• Jason S says:

HAley F’d up!!! Had she done the slow piano based version of You Oughta Know she wouldn’t have fumbled the verses slowed down and would’ve had dramatic impact!!! Hope it doesn’t cost her the competition!!

• HungryHyrax says:

Yeah she should have slowed them down and tried to raise them or something and gone for a haunting change up but the chorus was awesome and it is a tricky song to fix up Crystal was pretty darn good and her alteration of it was a complete mess.

• Max says:

Let’s not forget she had a VERY short amount of time to do all this. She might not have had the time….

• Jason S. says:

When I made the above post I had only seen the You Oughta Know online and not the other two songs. Seeing it in HD on my stereo it sounded a lot better and the fumbling of words didn’t seem as bad. I have to agree that it must have been pretty hard to get those three songs together and she probably spent more time on the first two which were Amesome beyond belief. I absolutely loved both. Sad to see her fall because otherwise it was a perfect moment on the show. And I thought Rhiannon was artistry the way she phrased it. She was relevant and believable . Could be a hit all over again with Haley’s interpretation. A little country even sneaked m in. I so wish she had done the slowed down Grammy version of Alanis and it would have been perfect. As it was I think it was probably the best top three night ever on the show.

• dp says:

this song was quite good at last year’s finale when crystal sung it with alanis. I’m glad haley sung the led zeppelin song, she needs to sing more songs that haven’t been covered before.

• linda says:

the key word being she sung it with Alanis who led the way…and I love crystal but it was not one of her better nights

• Blair says:

yep! and I’m so happy she picked that particular zep song. It is one of, if not my all-time favorite zep song. It contains a certain kind of darkness and drama particularly unique to zep IMO.

• HungryHyrax says:

Nah Crystal was pretty brutal with it probably her worst of the season from what I recall. It was kind of a mess.

• Name That Tune says:

It was a bad song choice for her. She nailed the chorus. Don’t know which judge chose that for her but I was always going to give her a pass on that one. She deserved better & she made the best of it.

• Li-Li says:

I agree. Continued lamer than lame commentary from the judges tonight. They really make me ill, though Steven Tyler is the least offensive. Lauren had many out of tune notes, and little to no emotion, but they gave her no criticism whatsoever. Scotty was so mind-numbingly bland, singing along in his twangy comfort zone. I was bored out of my mind. Haley killed every song, and after they praised the Led Zeppelin song, could barely muster anything exciting to say, even if she deserved it. I’m glad Haley looked like she was having a great time. Having her dad play guitar with her was the coolest.

6. happy says:

Please vote! Come back here later!

7. LoryR says:

Haley for the win!! I fast forwarded through Lauren and Scotty – just can’t get into their music or their sound. Haley’s the next American Idol in my book.

8. Aby says:

Do the judges not realize that there are other songs for powerful female vocalist to sing beside “You Ought To Know” in which they have to sanitize the lyrics? I want to slam them with song choice, song choice, song choice.

Haley won the night, but who knows what will happen.

• Terry says:

Isn’t it ironic (wink) that the “judges” have slammed Haley numerous times for song choice, and that’s what they pick?!?! Ugh. If Haley doesn’t get to sing for the title next week, I’m going to be sooooo disappointed. Please keep voting for Haley everyone!!!

• linda says:

she got screwed with htose picks-the one she picked for herself was the best-they set her up to look like an angry B–t** and she couldnt pull it off-the judges choices was ridiculous and jimmy really set her up too-i mean thats a hard song to sing and she will be compared to stevie nicks whom I do not think she compares to…that was just wrong!!

• Eolra says:

I liked Jimmie’s song choice, probably because I’m not THAT familiar with the song though. I thought it was a beautiful and unexpectedly mature performance from Haley, and I thought it was her best – the best- of the night. Judge’s pick was lame – I felt Haley’s degree of difficulty was much much greater than the other two and she wasn’t given the opportunity to have a “heartfelt” moment since all her songs were somewhat uptempo.

• Lily says:

I read it was Randy picking for Haley, Steven picking for Lauren and JLo picking for Scotty. I thought Haley did pretty well saddled with a bad song choice there, though I wished she had slowed it down even more.

• Li-Li says:

You may be right. They showed J-Lo singing along to the Kenny Rogers song. Show your age much? What a gag-me moment.

• Tusk says:

My nomination for gag-me moment needs a set up.

Did Scotty seem more “Elvisy” during his post performance interlude chats? I half expected him to say “Thank Ya, Thank Ya Very Much.”

To the gag-me moment: Scotty grinning, posing with what “looked” like Priscilla Presley. Can’t tell any more she’s too stretched.

Runner up gag-me moment: Asking the make up gal if she needed help applying the glitter to Lauren’s legs :P

• Tusk says:

*Edit *Ryan asking the make up gal if shee needed help applying the glitter to Lauren’s legs.

• Tusk says:

But she really did NAIL the chorus, I am looking forward to the Studio versions (which will probably be sparkling) to add to her already impressive play list.

• Templar says:

I wanted Haley to sing “All That Jazz” from the movie Chicago.

9. LGH says:

Haley overall was by far the strongest, though I disliked the judge’s song choice for her, because it didn’t play to her strengths. I think she did the best she could with that one. Rhiannon was actually deeply lovely, and she simply slayed Zeppelin, which is no small feat. Bold, risky and sung so, so well. Again, I found Scotty and Lauren absolutely fine — nice moments, especially for him. But Lauren continues to have breath control issues and a feeble emotional connection to what she’s singing. And so both she and Scotty leave me a bit bored.

• Betsy says:

I could have written this post – agree completely

• Deb says:

Thank you, I thought I was the only person who noticed the breath control issues, or that I was crazy. Now, while I can’t say the latter is not true, at least I can say that I’m not alone in hearing the breath problems.

• Growlers United says:

I agree- Lauren sounds really out of breath and has to drop the last syllable of her words to catch up when she sings a quick tempo song..especially while trying to dance. She sounds much better with slower songs, standing in one place.

Haley won the night, even with that horrible song the judges tried to sink her with.

• darcy' evil twin says:

Hey LGH – I also could have written your comments.
      Lauren’s breath control was especially bad on “Wild One”. I found it interesting that “Wild One” got the most votes for “Least Favorite Performance” in the poll above. Honestly, Randy droned on and on with his comments after Lauren’s performance of “Wild One” and I swear, he started sounding like Charlie Brown’s Teacher to me.

10. Michelle R. says:

I would give Haley rounds 1 and 2 and then round 3 was pretty much a three way tie for me. That performance from Scotty felt real for once, as did Lauren’s, and Haley really was amazing on the chorus.

11. @galaga6846 says:

Vote for Haley! The finale is going to be BORING without Haley in it (to win it).

• JamesOne says:

It’s already boring without James there. So who cares if Haley makes it. She knocked my boy out so I am voting for Scotty. He will win anyways.

• Amie says:

do you even like scotty or are you only voting because he’s going to win?

• Max says:

With all these idiot James fans voting against Haley, you have to wonder what kind of person James is since he attracts so many a**h***s for fans

• Tusk says:

LOL Absolutely nothing else to add to this!!

• JamesOne says:

Max has it ever occurred to you that maybe James fans are not really voting against Haley as to maybe voting for someone else? I liked James but since he is not there I am voting for the next one I like. I might have said that Haley knocked my boy out but I am not so stupid as to think that she “literally” did so.

• Calli says:

No, James’ fans knocked him out by not voting enough. Haley (or Scotty or Lauren) had nothing to do with it. It’s always amusing to see how someone being eliminated on Idol brings out the moron in people.

• JamesOne says:

Moronic behavior is not limited to just certain fans. I see alot of Haley’s fans act just as stupid as any other ones. Just because I choose to vote for Scotty now and not your precious Haley that makes me a moron? I don’t care for Haley therefore I will not vote for her. Doesn’t matter to me one way or another about her. Say what you will, last time I looked this was a country based on free-will and I plan on doing just that.

12. Pam says:

The show should have started off with the judges’ choices, followed by Jimmy’s, and then ending with a bang with the contestants’ choices. Their personal choices were by far the best, and who doesn’t want to end a show with Led Zepplin?

• marie says:

Very good point.

• HungryHyrax says:

yeah, they mayeb were afraid too though hah
      what did they do other seasons?

• HungryHyrax says:

really maddening was that JLo called Lauren best of round three (and then i think even best of night??) before Haley even went! and on the round they gave her a song!
        It seems like all along they liked, of these three, Lauren most then Scotty then Haley and they JLo and randy called lauren best for r3 and scotty for r2 and haley for r1

anwayy whatever vote,vote im getting NO busy for Haley! vote!

• Eolra says:

Yeah, J-Lo was being kind of a jerk tonight. As per usual this season.

• indigo says:

J lo has proven to be very hard and unkind person, she is very self centered and a snake, Randy is brainless and gutless person with very limited vocabulary. He has jumped on J lo bandwagon or resides under J lo’s dress. He needs to grow balls and learn to speak for himself.

• Cshine says:

If you actually count all the judges votes for all three songs, Haley won the night (she got 4 votes), Lauren second (she got 3) and Scotty third (he got 2), which is the way I predict the voting will go tomorrow.

• HungryHyrax says:

I’d like to agree but early indicators are the exact opposite. And scotty for whatever reason has been crazy far each week ahead maybe on finals when it is 1:1 it might even up.

• Nedsdag says:

Tell me about it. I mean, she couldn’t get her fat ass off the chair and give Haley a standing ovation like Randy and Steven did? Well, we know who she wants in the finals. Give me a break! Haley FTW!!!!!!!!!!

• Blair says:

besides the obvious usual trying to throw Haley under the bus, they were probably trying to crate a build-up to each contestant’s home visits/judges’ song choice, and therefore wanted “judges choices” saved for the last, which is as I remember, how they did it in previous seasons. ..someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

• linda says:

I think they did that to her on purpose-they are in the dress rehearsals and they already know how good she was with the Led song-they wanted her to be last knowing full well their pick would not showcase her at all

• Tusk says:

Speaking to who goes when, and playing Devil’s advocate,I could argue that Haley had the “pimp” spot each round.

So maybe you’re reading too far into this because if they were juggling around performances for advantage, the Idols would have a jumbled rotation, like last week, instead of Scotty,Lauren, Haley, in that order each round.

I can’t believe I’ve been defending the producers :(

Feel Ill.

• Ronnie says:

Ending with the contestants choices would have given focus to Haley/Scotty and Lauren. That is CRAZY TALK!!!!
      We must return focus to the JUDGES! They are what is important… remember they all picked these three from the beginning, giving each three YES votes in auditions. They are seers! fortune tellers! the best pickers of talent ever!
      it was a big SUCK IT to Simon for his no vote on previous auditions.

• Cup of Joe says:

How about “no?” It’s a talent competition, hence, it’s all about the talents of the people who are giving it their all on-stage.

• HungryHyrax says:

Although I don’t think contestant choice was best for Lauren although probably for the other two.
      judges choice was best for her
      they loved lauren and james i think most all along
      anwyay whatever haley had amazing first song and amazingly beautiful second and awesome chorus on the last (although verses were fast and low and tricky for her style and range, totally not her fit)

13. marie says:

Haley all the way. Scotty and Lauren, bless them, bored me to tears. Gotta go vote some more now.

14. Vetle says:

I doubt she is safe – so let’s make her safe!

15. Lucy says:

I think Lauren won the night, even though she stumbled in the middle.

• Davey says:

I really think the only song that Lauren did that was decent was the last one.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Davey, I agree. “I Hope You Dance” wasn’t too bad (other than the ghastly gown). I had never heard “If I Die Young” (my husband had -he’s the country fan) and it was okay for me. “Wild One” had crazybad breath control and support problems, which would earn you a solid “4” at a high school vocal music competition, but hey, it’s apparently no problem on American Idol, the biggest singing competition around.

• Tusk says:

Agreed I think she had a different trajectory performance-wise than Haley.

Lauren’s best was her last, and her worse was her first. Haley’s best was her first and her worse was her last.

Scotty? He just “keeps on truckin'” down that straight and narrow (remember that’s what we loooooove about him , dude, he knows his lane, Yo)

• Calli says:

Lauren stumbled at the beginning, too. She messed up the lyrics on “Wild One”, which few people have caught, it seems.

• Lily says:

It was too bad the contestants couldn’t pick more of their own songs. I liked Amazed best from Scotty, What Is and What Should Never Be best from Haley, and Lauren’s best was the Nuts of Wonder song. Surprisingly it seemed Lauren and Scotty were hurt more by bad producer and judges song picks than Haley was, since hers were at least interesting. I thought Haley won the night, but I can see how this would be all about whether you like country or rock. Maybe they should split this off into ‘Country Idol’ and ‘Rock/Pop Idol’ so it’s not judging apples and oranges.

• Blair says:

I couldn’t agree more, Lily. If the trend on AI continues on the path that it seems to be on, it may IMO become necessary to break these shows down into something like “Country Idol”, “Rock Idol”, etc. just to be fair to the contestants.

After all, if we were to break the American voting public generically into a demographic based upon musical tastes, or even political and religious preferences, we would probably find an unfair imbalance in the country. Couple that with environmental factors etc, that influence voting fervor, and so on and so forth.

In any event, what I’m trying to say is that an “American Idol” show simply can’t come close to representing the collective musical preference of America in one “American Idol” anymore. That’s just the way it is, and will probably continue to become more and more skewed, unless the voting rules or methods are changed.

• joy2011 says:

What happened to each contestant having to sing in each genre. They really didn’t challenge Scotty or Lauren this year with the theme nights. I loved watching some of them trying to sing out of their comfort zone because it really showed their level of artistry and singing ability.

• seattlejohn says:

actually, Idol producer Nigel Lythgoe has a country singing competition on CMT Friday nights called CMT’s Next Country Superstar which started off good but has turned out kind of underwhelming…when Idol started out didn’t Simon constantly harp about it being the search for the next pop idol and frowning down on the token country singers (who were forced to sing non-country styles theme nights)? I like country but also an eclectic range of music and Haley has excelled this season with pop, rock, blues, country, jazz where Scotty and Lauren have been enabled by giving them passes on trying a variety of styles…I can see them making successful country records but Haley really lives up to what Idol is about as a contestant

• HungryHyrax says:

Yeah Simon does not like country at all although he was ok about Carrie Underwood since he saw enough in her to get over his extreme dislike for country. And yeah they used to really get on them if they didn’t try to match the style of the theme not and prove they could do all styles from what I vaguely seem to recall.

• Tim says:

Agreed, Lauren won the night. “If I Die Young” was superb. Gorgeous tone, perfect pitch, great control and phrasing, and she’s starting to connect with the songs emotionally.

• joy2011 says:

IMO that song is very emotional and I found Lauren lacked that maturity especially when she sang the part about the baby. I waited for the connection but it never materialized for me. I will say she has a nice voice for a 16 year old. She should be very successful but do you really want that for her at her age after watching how Miley and so many other young singers have changed so much from who they were.

• GSOGymrat says:

It was the cheeriest last will and testament I have ever heard.

16. Amy says:

Haley FTW!! Loved that she got right up after falling. I wish the judges had picked a better song for her especially for the final song of the night. Oh well, she still deserves the finals. Scotty is just so boring! Sorry, dude. Maybe I just don’t love country.

• joy2011 says:

I loved you outta know. I am still singing the chorus. She amazes me with her confidence to sing with so much pep at the judges. She looked liked she was having a great time tonight. I am happy for her.

• Billy says:

Amy – maybe you just dont like corny. “Baby lock them doors…” for heaven’s sake, it’s lock THOSE doors. What ignorance.

17. Emy says:

I hated the song choices for Haley and Lauren. They were either predicable and thus boring or just harder to sing live than most songs. They all picked nice songs themselves though and I love that Zepplin actually called Idol to give their songs to Haley.

• @galaga6846 says:

Zeppelin called AI and asked her to sing their song? Do tell. Link?

• Emy says:

Apparently they contacted Idol and Haley after she sang House of the Rising Sun and offered their songs to her. MJ’s Big Blod reorted on it here:

• Tusk says:

I posted the link to the wheeling village council meeting where Haley’s parents reveal the picks in the last Idoloonies post. They talk about it @ 10:50

Haley’s mom: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant had never given permission to use any Led Zeppelin songs to the Idol. When they heard Haley do House of the Rising Sun, they contacted them and said if she wants to do one of our songs, she can. When you get that kind of an offer pffff, she said ‘I’m Doing it, I’m doing it’”

Haley’s Dad: She couldn’t refuse.

• Tusk says:

early in the clip the parents say, that Idol only wanted her to do two songs so she doesn’t blow out her voice, but she and her family felt badly that all these people came out in terrible weather to support her, only to hear two songs.

It was decided that she and her parents would play more songs to thank the people for coming out. Her mother said she could help Haley with vocals (even tho she’s recovering from laryngitus), if Haley started to struggle

18. @galaga6846 (follow me on Twitter) says:

I was really bored during the other contestants performances. Haley got me excited. I loved James’ showmanship and stage shenanigans, but Haley is definitely the next best thing. I’m impressed at how she played up her ROCK prowess in order to win James’ fans. Very impressive tragedy. GO HALEY!

19. HilaryV says:

Loved Haley’s first song, didn’t love her second two, although they weren’t horrible. Lauren was a lot better than usual tonight. I’d like to see her in the finale instead of Scotty.

20. Paisley says:

Haley won round one, Scotty won round 2, and Lauren stole round 3. I’m voting for Haley, though.

• HungryHyrax says:

wow Scotty for round two? he was so boring and whatever i actually liked his first round better and the parts Lauren didnt mess up better too (she was nervous and breathy at the start then became really good then had some things happen) Haley gave a beautiful performance and won round 2 IMO after a touch shaky at the very start of it

21. sara says:

no time to read. Must vote for Haley til my digits fall off! Girl rocked it!

(and that Alanis song pick by the judges was total sabotage)

22. Irishize says:

I think Haley took the night, she was the most interesting, most exciting and I liked the song choices. As usual, JLo was less than flattering, but it just seems like she has some sort of grudge thing there or something. Whatever.
    Lauren was good tonight, but I wasn’t really bowled over or anything. Scotty was his usual good country self, he sounded very good and his song choices were good, esp liked the Kenny Rogers one, although I felt him a little flat a couple of times.
    Saying that, I want to say, it’s not about nitpicking a few bad notes or annoying tics, for me, it’s about the whole ball of wax, does the person get me up out of my seat, do I feel connected to the performance, that’s the most important thing to me. Perfection is boring, it’s the quirky stuff that makes a great performer stand out from the crowd of autotune.
    Hoping for Haley!

• Li-Li says:

Did anyone notice how Beyonce was so taken with Haley? She was really complimentary – much more so than the other 2 contestants. And Beyonce got it right: Haley has a unique sound – like a superstar.

23. VOTE Haley says:

Haley Frickin’ ROCKED TONIGHT!!!!
    VOTE VOTE VOTE…We can get her to the finale people!

24. Just realized it! says:

Jimmy Iovine just might be the father of JC Chavez from Nsync & america’s best dance crew!

25. blingedup.susan says:

Awwww, Michael. Sorry you’re sick. It’s hard to work with a fever and sore throat! Go to bed soon. :)

LOVED Haley’s first and second performances. Loved, loved, loved them. Don’t care for “You Oughta Know.” Who gave her that unsingable song? Blech. She did well, considering the material. But those first two were fabulous!

After Haley, I enjoyed Scotty tonight too.

Can’t wait for the hometown visits tomorrow — I’m a sucker for those.

26. zack says:

Get off the internet and VOTE!!! All you people crying sabotage but you are posting comments instead of VOTING!!!! GO NOW!!!!!

• AllieK says:

I’m a multi-tasker. I’m VOTING LIKE MAD FOR HALEY on one hand, and monitoring these comments with the other. And only commenting on occasion. GO HALEY!!! She really interested me tonight. Again, I’m so impressed by her versatility. The woman can sing anything, even though I didn’t like Alanis as a choice for her.

• Name That Tune says:

My smart phone is plugging away at voting do I can read comments here.

27. Kathy says:

Loved Scotty’s “You Gonna Kiss Me or Not”. I thought Haley would do Stevie Nicks proud but I was kinda disappointed.

• Linda says:

Yeah, I thought Rhiannon was just plain bad. It’s a favorite of mine, and I was really looking forward to her doing something with it. She just kind of mangled it. It didn’t rock, but it wasn’t lovely either. And I’m afraid she’s still pretty awkward on stage. Of course, let’s not even talk about Lauren’s patented take-two-steps-then-waddle-your-butt-like-a-duck. I can’t believe that kind of performing is in the top 3.

• Ablo says:

I don’t think she mangled it. It was as good as her first song, but she didn’t mangle it. And I certainly didn’t think it was “just plain bad.”

• indigo says:

Rhiannon was my favorite performance by Haley, got goose bumps!

28. Joanne says:

Personally I think the night went to Haley. And yeah I am voting. My roommate who hasn’t watched at all this season liked Haley better than the country duo. He thought Scotty was a joke and pretty much said what I said when Lauren sang the Lee Anne Womack song. Both of us felt she had no connection with the lyrics of it or understanding of what it meant. Sad, because she does have a lovely voice.

29. Christina says:

Lauren or Haley, which one will it be? We know Scotty is a lock unfortunately.

Haley had the best performance of the night on her first song, but the two follow-ups were simply average. Lauren on the other hand was safe and boring with her first choice, and better in the final two performances.

30. Amy says:

Ugh, Lauren is so freaking annoying I can’t see what anyone would see in her. Her voice is decent but her song choices all season have been so boring. And she never seems connected to the songs. Scotty I like just a little bit more. His style is not really my thing but he’s had a few performances I’ve liked. But I’ve enjoyed most of Haley’s performances and song choices. I think she deserves a spot in the finale, especially over Lauren. I hope it happens.

Haley is so ready for this…we got to get her to the finale!

32. Jane says:

Haley! Haley! Haley! She killed it tonight. The other two, fine singers, are just so very boring, while Haley is delivering Idol “moments” week after week. The producers better hope she’s in the finale because I really won’t tune in to watch teenagers sing country. I’m not one of those “I’m quitting Idol because my fave was voted off,” but I just am not interested in listening to Scotty and Lauren, unless Lauren sings pop/rock, which she can do very well. Poor Scotty has zero crossover appeal … zero.

• Ken Adams says:

I’m with you on that one. I would rather go to a Vegan potluck than watch these pre-teens sing three identical songs during the finale.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Made me laugh! :-)

Goodness, Ken, I hadn’t thought about it from that perspective.
        Has everyone had enough country music for one evening?

• indigo says:

Hay I am Vegan, and would love Vegan potluck, LOL, Haley killed it tonight in a good way, Loved Rihannan song, first real goose bumps this year, I am hard to please when it comes to music, Haley has been consistently improving and has star power for sure.

• indigo says:

Correction, also house of rising son was fantastic by Haley and she is the star of the show, so artistic.

• Blair says:

Amen to that, Jane. If that scenario occurs, I would rather just go sleep early and call it a night, because the same thing would happen anyway if I had to watch “teen country jamboree” evening.

33. Ronnie says:

The song difficulties highlighted the talent difference between all three. Plant, Nixx, Morrissett were all level 10 difficulty songs, while the songs from Scotty and Lauren were simple and easy.
    I thought Lauren was ok, but nothing great. The second song was her best. JLO picking her to win round 3 before Scotty/Haley sung was unprofessional.
    Scotty seemed very dull tonight. He sang well I suppose, but his songs were safe and sleep inducing. And he should have dressed country, not brooks brothers.
    Haley had such difficult songs to sing. I’m amazed she did as well as she did. The Alanis song is impossible to sing, half of the song is purposefully choppy, the rest power screaming. If she had picked that song last year, Simon would have told her to pick a song with a melody… but she didn’t pick it, these judges did.
    The Led Zeppelin song was great, even with the fall. I can’t help but think the James fans will pick the girl who did Led Zep over the Kenny Rogers and Faith Hill kids.
    I would guess Haley/Scotty for the finals, but who really knows.

34. Ken Adams says:

My humble thoughts:
    Scotty was the same old borefest on his first and third song. The middle one woke me up for a minute, but tonight showed me that I’m really just not a fan of his (and I LOVE country music). I think their looking for a Sleepy in the new ‘Snow White and the Huntsman’ movie… maybe he should try out.
    I will start by saying that Lauren needs a stylist, pronto. If we’re going to have to sit through so many outfit changes in one night, she needs to give us some pizzaz and not look like a girl who’s luggage was switched with a Cheetah Girl going to prom. She suffered the same problems I’ve had with her all season: breathiness and lack of control towards the end of phrases at the ends of songs. With that, I will say “Dance” was lovely, but not as good as “Anyway” last week. I think she will need to return to the loft, pack her belongings and go home, because she is no longer in the running.
    If Haley knew all she needed to do was fall on stage to get respect from Randy, she would have done it eight weeks ago. Seriously, what wrong has NOT happened to this girl on stage this season? She slayed Zepellin, showed a lovely softness (and impeccable control) on Fleetwood Mac, and poor girl TRIED to rock out to Alanis. If they wanted her to struggle, why not at least give her a song that doesn’t require so much on air editing. They couldn’t get the rights to Macy Gray?
    Overall thoughts: Scotty is a walking ambien, Lauren needs an oxygen tank, and Haley FTW. I’m gonna go vote until my fingers bleed.

35. maureen says:

I thought Haley and Scotty won the night. All three of the judges picks were bad. Out of all the songs, those were the ones they came up with? Pitiful.

36. Amy S. says:

Haley’s Led Zeppelin rendition was one of my favorite Idol performances EVER. A risky move, a bold choice. Keep voting!

37. Reality says:

Haley and SCotty Dominated and completely outclassed Lauren.
    The judges still tried to end the show by pushing Lauren down our throats.
    On a side note, Haley’s Zepplin song was one of the best performances all year and simply amazing. It is a shame that it will always be on youtube with her falling after making it down an entire flight of steps. If someone chooses not to vote for her for that reason, then they are mentally deranged.

• EvaneSam says:

Well the small steps are the trickiest :P
      Besides I think Hayle falling made her look more likeable (not that I don’t love her already, which I SOOOOOO do) I really hope people vote for her. I tried to vote from Romania but no such luck :(

38. Megan says:

Please vote for HALEY! I’m in Canada and can’t vote!!! Vote for me, please!

39. AE says:

Even the scum at Vote For the Worst has more sense the the judges!

40. Buggu says:

HALEY IS RIGHT NOW AT THE BOTTOM IN DIAL IDOL…LETS BRING HER BACK TO LIFE………(sorry for the caps…just to get immediate attention on the matter..)Lets be as enthusiastic as Lauren/Scotty fans…

• Emy says:

She’s been on the bottom for 4 weeks on DI. It’s not accurate at all this season.

• HungryHyrax says:

No, it has been almost always right, James did just barely sink below Haley by the end of their tally last week and the onyl two they got wrong were Pia (and they said maybe a glitch) and I think Jacob often had a different spot but they also said Jacob had such low call volume that it made their results for him no good.

so vote like mad, lauren is most likely ahead!
        vote redial hang redial hang and so on

• Tom K says:

The final DialIdol scores for Haley/James last week:

James: 14.434
          Haley: 11.725

• Jamie says:

You have to look at the raw numbers. Haley is way out in front. Scotty is 2nd and little Lauren is going home.

• Name That Tune says:

Stop paying attention to that Dial Idol score. It has no way to track the 15,000 votes my smart phone is sending as we speak. It never correctly captured Jacob Lusk’s fan base. It can’t track online voting. The best it can tell you is that Haley is #1, Scotty is #2, & Lauren is #3 with the 80,000 people who have subscribed to their software that uses outdated technology (dial-up modem).
          You have to decide if Haley voters are more likely to power vote with their smart phones than Scotty or Lauren fans.

• Tom K says:

I agree – though if all voting was only over the phone, I think DialIdol (even with outdated technology) would be a fair predictor of what is going to happen – as you may know, it is all about the sample size; a sampling of 200,000 votes could be enough to predict with.

HOWEVER, when the software cannot track two other methods of voting, it becomes useless.

I think the most intriguing thing about tomorrow’s vote is that we really have no idea where any of these contestants truly stand. In the last several weeks, the only thing that has been revealed is that Lauren was in the B-2 once. Other than that, it’s been pretty random how they are revealing who is safe. The only other clue we have was when Randy told Scotty he “never has truly been in the Bottom 2”. So in that week, someone else was truly the one that should have been standing by Casey.

That said, I think Scotty has way too many demographics on his side…DialIdol or not, it would be a bold (and dumb) Vegas play to say it will be an All Girls finale. But between the two girls? Who the heck knows? It’s all been one big mystery.

• HungryHyrax says:

I suppose although in general and to within their margin it’s been pretty solid and they did mention all the time that they had a poor sample for Jacob.
            But yeah it is far from perfect.

• Buggu says:

I too hope DI is not right..But no matter what, we should vote ,just in case…HALEY so deserves to be in the finale…

• Jason S says:

Dial Idol reflects east coast only right now? West costers are more in the HAley camp and will pull it out for her!!!!!

• TomK says:

DialIdol doesn’t capture any of the massive internet/text voting that goes on. It makes it kind of impossible for it to be 100% accurate when it can’t measure two of the three methods by which people vote.

41. Deb says:

1R-Haley by a landslide, 2R-Scotty surprisingly 3R-toss up nobody great, nobody terrible…Night went to Haley.
    Still disappointed that there has been no Heartless, Mad World, Hello, Natural Woman, Summertime, Imagine moment this season, but honestly, that seems to be more a function of over-involved producers.
    Hoping for Haley and Scotty to move on because Lauren shouts her songs and I am over it.

42. Dera says:

43. Ronnie says:

During one stretch (from end of Scotty to the beginning of Lauren) we got these consecutive chats:
    1. hair styles, buzz cut Scotty
    2. chest waxing, randy trying for old school simon/ryan weirdness
    3. revelation about hose disaster
    4. awkward leg rubbing & embarrassment (w/makeup)
    UGH… When they went to Haley next they went to video very quickly with just a simple intro. They could have easily panned the camera up for Lauren and quickly went to video.
    There was NO reason to embarrass her on national TV. It was uncalled for and completely unnecessary. But they seem happy to embarrass Lauren when she has pre-performance issues. Made me feel for her.

• Jessabean says:

yeah that was dumb

• Tusk says:

you forgot a fifth fact we learnt:

5. Priscilly Presley plans to adopt Scotty and inject him with Elvis’ DNA

Alse re: Laurehosegate, don’t forget as they cut to commercial Ryan bent down and asked the make up person if she needed help applying the glitter to Lauren’s legs? :P

• Tusk says:

Typo “Priscilla Presley”, but now that I think about it, with so many plastic surgeries, “Priscilly Putty Presley” might be actually appropriate.

44. linda says:

Call me crazy, but I think Scotty won the night. I liked his 2nd and 3rd song best.

45. Jessabean says:

Is it me or is Lauren copying Haley (with the growl) and Haley copying Lauren (running around the judges desk, not once but twice!)???

46. NedPepper says:

Look, only one girl is making the finale. Don’t split Lauren and Haley’s votes. Lauren will get an album anyway. Haley will not. Get Haley into the finals!

47. Growlers United says:

Help!! I’ve been hitting redial for Haley (9) and 70% of the time it’s busy, 20% of the time I get “Thanks for voting for contestant 3” and the rest of the time I hear “Thanks for voting for contestant 1!!” Even though it’s the same number on redial…once I even heard “Thanks for voting for contestant 2” Help!! What’s up with that?

• Kath says:

I have not had the problem…. getting through for Haley each time. That makes me nervous. Try dialing the 03 number instead of 09. Haley has been so consistant this season and certainly the most interesting.

• tvlover44 says:

very strange – i’d try the 03 and 06 numbers and stick with whichever one doesn’t give you these other contestant #s. i’ve been using 09 and only have heard ‘contestant 3’.

• KW says:

I’m having the same problem. I’m getting a lot of unable to connects, and so far, one of my votes for Haley has gone to contestant number one and two have gone to number #2. I’m hitting redial, so it’s not that I’m misdialing. I’ve cycled through all three numbers and have had problems with all three. Something is messed up.

48. Adam Leonard says:

Rihanna was a horrible song choice. The song takes to long to go anywhere and they’re only given 2 minutes per song. Then they created a horrible arrangement where the pauses in the vocal were highlighted by the lack of music and set the mix so that when Haley was trying to do something delicate, the backing vocals were louder than she was. The only reason she’s still in this is because she did Zeppelin and she came up with an amazing arrangement for it – loved her dad’s licks.

49. motomom says:

must admit…haley did a great job on the zepplin tune…..but i still do not feel the love for her. she really bugs me for some reason…she seems kinda smug…she’s got some strange attitude that i can’t put my finger on. sooo–my vote goes to miss lauren this week.
    hope it is lauren and scotty in the finale…i am tired of haley, the growling, the talking back to judges….she’s just gotta go. sorry team haley!

• davey says:

A Lauren Scotty finale would be full of cutesy pie moments. Please spare us.

• Tom K says:

I don’t think anyone should ever get on somebody else for their opinion.

But the only problem I have is trying to decipher Haley’s attitude based on a television show. Nobody knows who ANY of these kids are outside the realm of American Idol – and it isn’t like she threatened Randy with bodily harm.

So, if you simply don’t like her performances, fine – everyone has a different taste…and the other two contestants aren’t Tim Urban or Haley Scurnato. But to vote based on what you perceive them to be beyond their performances is something I do (personally) have trouble with.

• Nola says:

TO each his own…if you want a boring imitator…pure imitation…no creativity…you sure do win with either McChurchy or Lauren. Nice kids.

If you want a creative musician..go with Haley.

You do bring up a good point though. Haley is a strong person. If she showed more vulnerability throughout this…she’d win it hands down.

• Tom K says:

I agree – but I think Haley would rather just show the world who she is, love her or dislike her. Remember, she had very little backstory this season – I am not saying that was an evil plot; just the facts. Kris Allen had little backstory as well; some contestants just don’t have anything that makes for a good story arc. I think if Idol would have played up the “Season 9 Reject Becomes Season 10 star” angle, it would have worked – but they probably had NO IDEA she was going to ride a wave to the Final 3. I think they may have been a little surprised she got through F-24 (with that brilliant “Fallin” song choice).

• Abby says:

Agreed! CAN”T STAND HALEY…her singing, her attitude, and her ego leave much to be desired

50. Tom says:

Has this blog become just one big Haley Love Fest and to He** with the other singers. It certainly seems that way, the hatred and garbage you spew on the ones not named Haley. I for one hope Scotty stomps her butt. He is by far reaching the heart of the Heartland of America. He is Baseball, Hot Dags, Apple Pie, and Chevrolet.

• Dessa says:

Yeah. It’s really sad. I mean, Haley is great but she’s not the BEST THING EVAH. I like her, but I thought she had an off night. Her first song was great, but the 2nd and 3rd were meh.

This is all reminding me of Glambert’s season.

• Tom K says:

I am a big Haley supporter – but you’ll never see me calling her a perfect contestant. Nobody is. They all deserve their share of praise and criticisms.

Scotty: He’s probably been the most consistent – some would say “Consistently boring”, but that’s their opinion. He knows his genre and sings it well. A perfectly acceptable Idol winner.

Lauren: Sweet as pie; nice sounding voice, but just can’t push herself to the next level. I think a year of extra training would have really helped her – look what it did for Haley, who was rejected during the Season 9 auditions. It may not have been a bad idea to let her get through to Hollywood – get comfortable on the stage – then ask her to come back. But the producers invested so much in her story that I think they were handcuffed.

Haley: She started slow – I think had a little trouble finding herself. Again, amateurs – she shouldn’t be expected to rock the stage from Day 1. America let her squeak through the F13 and F12 shows, and she used that to fuel a fire. There’s been hiccups along the way – but of the three, I can see her having potentially the biggest “radio hits” on your mainstream, Top 40 radio.

I think those are honest assessments – I will root for Haley; but wouldn’t throw my remote at the TV if Lauren or Scotty wins.

• Kris Fan says:

No kidding.

• Blair says:

At least “Glambert’s season” had if nothing else BUZZ and a spark about it. And although controversial, that’s what created excitement. Lord knows, if anything can save this season, something or someone who can create some buzz and excitement should.

• Ronnie says:

I prefer to judge them by their performances. I’m not really into voting for the most “AMERICAN” idol, I’m voting for a singer.
      And I like Basketball, Hamburgers, Cherry Pie and Ford. :) and I picked Scotty for the finals. But I still prefer Haley.

• A says:

What’s a ‘Hot Dag’?

Also, I live in the “Heartland of America” and I wish Scotty would take a flying leap. Of course, I’m totally cynical and not one to fall for the “Jesus, pickup trucks, beer, and Amurrica” load he’s selling.

Team Haley, FTW!

• EvaneSam says:

You’re right Scotty is all that but Haley is surfing, Paris, exotic flowers…she is different and has a distinctive voice which makes her interesting. A finale with Scotty and Lauren would be made out of Country songs and would be boring. I would pick Lauren to go home because she doesn’t seem ready to me, she’s too imature to handle the stress. I mean look at how she broke down when she found out that she was in the bottom 2 with Jacob. Does anyone think she could handle this show business. We’d only have another Britney Spears/Lindsay Lohan on our hands. Scotty might have boring song choices but he has a really distinctive voice as well and has a great personality.
      I really hope we get a Scotty – Haley finale.