Breaking: The CW Renews Nikita, One Tree Hill, Axes Hellcats

The CW has ordered a full second season of freshman spy-drama Nikita, TVLine can confirm. The network has also picked up a 13-episode ninth season of One Tree Hill, set to premiere at midseason.

The Tom Welling-produced cheer drama Hellcats didn’t fare as well, and has officially been canceled. Tuesday night’s first season finale (9/8c) will mark the end for the short-lived series.

CW Picks Up Rachel Bilson and Sarah Michelle Gellar Shows, Kevin Williamson’s Secret Circle

How do you feel about today’s CW action? Happy to see more Nikita and One Tree Hill? Or are you bummed Hellcats won’t live to cheer another day? Hit the comments and let us know!

Comments (220)

• i actualy thought OTH was cancelled a few years back…

Comment by rj – May 17, 2011 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YAAAAAAAAYYYYYY Niktia!

Comment by Jen – May 19, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!!!! Full season 2 of NIKITA!!!!! I am so psyched!!! Now I have to figure out how to make it 3 months without a new ep.

Comment by Sue – May 17, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so excited 2 hear about OTH i love that show … dont care about hellcats or nikita OTH is amazing :)

Comment by megan – May 17, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed Hellcats and am very upset that it has been cancelled. And what a way to end the series – the season finale left everything up in the air like it was a cliffhanger and would, in fact, be returning. If you are going to end a show, why not end it properly – with a TRUE ending?

Comment by Linda – May 17, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know the cliffhangers were disappointed though in all fairness I doubt the writers knew about the cancellation when they wrote the episode and were trying to make a season finale that worked for all scenarios.

Comment by noeladd – May 17, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome that Nikita got renewed! It is one of my favorite tv shows this season and glad it will get another season. Hopefully a full 22 episodes. There really haven’t been that many tv shows that I’ve liked this season… I guess it has to do with the fact that there were so many “reality” shows that I don’t like. The shows like American Idol and Dancing Stars are good reality shows. But when its those reality shows that have people leaping and being bonked down into the water is just ridiculous. And that one with the business pitches is stupid as well. I just want to smack the co-hosts on that show. I’m a business owner and I don’t treat others like that.

Comment by Ben – May 17, 2011 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hellcats was a very popular show!! It shouldn’t have been cancelled!! A lot of people are gona be very upset about that! Bring it back

Comment by anna – May 17, 2011 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS IS AN OUTRAGE !!!!!

I’VE BEEN A ONE TREE HILL FAN FOR SEVERAL YEARS UNTIL THE PAST FEW YEARS BECAUSE IT WENT ON A DOWN HILL RUN FOR ME …JUST MY OPINION.

BUT TO CANCEL HELLCATS IS TOTALLY RIDICULOUS !!!!! THIS SHOW DOES HAVE ENERGY AND DOES HAVE A STRONG STORY LINE FOR EACH CHARACTER…..I AM MORE EAGER TO VIEW MORE AND I AM SURE THAT I SPEAK FOR A LARGE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE. SMALLVILLE AND HELLCATS WERE THE ONLY SHOWS THAT HAVE KEPT ME ON WITH CW….AND OHH…FORGETTING ONE TREE HILL USED TO BE AS WELL ….THE DEPT THAT HANDLES WHAT SHOWS STAYS OR WHAT SHOWS GOES — HAVE BEEN HITTIN’ THE JUICE AND NEED TO SEEK REHAB !!!!

Comment by Giselle – May 17, 2011 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS MAKES ME SO MAD……MAD ENOUGH TO MAKE ME WANNA SPIT !!!!

CANCELLING HELLCATS IS SOOOO WRONG !!!!

Comment by GISELLE – May 17, 2011 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved hellcats its the only show besides smallville I watch on this network. It sucks to smallville’s gone and not even turn it into SUPERMAN, what i thought 10yrs was building up to! And now HELLCATS, its a slap in the face to Tom Welling fans.

Comment by jojo – May 17, 2011 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i wonder how hard they fought for hellcats.
      petition anyone?

Comment by mimi – May 18, 2011 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alright, so I LOVE One Tree Hill and everything but does it really need another season? I mean, i just finished watching the season finale and it just felt like the PERFECT PERFECT way to end the series! With Haley happy with the opening of the cafe, Chase and Alex happy, Brooke and Julian finally happy with twins and everything they’ve ever wanted, and especially that last shot with Jamie dribbling the ball down the bridge with a hoodie on EXACTLY how Lucas did in the pilot! I mean it was just a great ending and an awesome way to end the series. It seriously does NOT need to go on! Anyone agree???

Comment by Serena – May 17, 2011 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! More One Tree Hill!!!! I’m super-excited OTH is coming back next season – but I am not happy about CW’s decision to move it to midseason. I hope Lucas and Peyton can come back at least as guests in season nine!!! Anyway – more OTH please!!! :)

Comment by Michael – May 17, 2011 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSS!!!! Thank God Nikita got renewed!!! I would be so disappointed if the CW cancelled it. GREAT CHOICE!! :D (Love Nikita/Michael/Alex)

Comment by Mikita – May 17, 2011 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy about Nikita but pissed about Hellcats. It was just a fun low drama not witches and vampires show. I felt it never really had a chance and OTH is in its 9th season? give something else a try! Bring back Hellcats at least for 13 episodes split it with OTH

Comment by Becks – May 17, 2011 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they did not take off Smallville that was the best show im glad it lasted 10 years but i wish it went on after that but thanks CW

Comment by Chris – May 17, 2011 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought they ended Smallville mostly because Tom Welling wanted out…… I could be wrong though.

Great series finale though! It gave me goosebumps.

Comment by Courtney – May 18, 2011 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, they need to end OTH. It’s not the same anymore, they have completely run out of ideas. Everyone is married and have children, this year should have been the last. To me it should have ended after season 6, the anchor of the show was basketball and now that is gone.

Comment by James P – May 17, 2011 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People who are surprised by the Hellcats cancellation surprise me. Seriously. Crap in ratings. Literally no fans. Literally no syndication.

Comment by Damon – May 17, 2011 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH MY GOD!! I just finished Hellcats that made me want another season!!!!

Comment by Christy – May 17, 2011 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats on Nikita. I really was hopeing for a second season of Hellcats :(

Comment by Laurin – May 17, 2011 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im REALLY disappointed hellcats got cancelled. it was a feel-good show, the friendships were realistic, i like that it was a show about real college life now greek has finished, the actors were hot, the routines were great, and the finale was AMAZING.. so many storylines to work with!

i would love for abc family to pick it up and give it another go.. sigh, but wont happen :(

happy for nikkita fans, i dont really watch the show but i think it probably does deserve a second season.

but i think OTH is way passed its use by date. and the fact gossip girl is STILL on after the sh!t it has gone to sickens me!

Comment by mimi – May 18, 2011 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy about Nikita!!! Sorry for Hellcats/Tom!!

Comment by Sonja – May 18, 2011 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank god for Nikita!!! Show is awesome! And sure, I’ll miss Hellcats a little. But THANK YOU for not cancelling Nikita!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Mali – May 18, 2011 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the CW is stupid Hellcats must continuous
    they should picked up season 2of Hellcats

Comment by yehia – May 18, 2011 03:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @yehia

Why should they have picked it up when it had bad ratings.

Comment by logical girl – May 19, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So upset that they axed the show. They had so much more story to tell, and the large amount of support to back it up. Marty and and her new sister, Rex, Savanah and her new nephew, Savanah’s Family falling to bits, Alice and Lewis, and so much more. I am so severely disappointed. =(

Comment by Roy Taylor – May 18, 2011 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m super happy for Nikita, it’s my new tv show crush this year.
    Concerning Hellcats I knew this was coming.
    About OTH, I wish they didn’t renew it for a 9th season, don’t get me wrong because I like this show, but season 8 finale was a good enough series finale.

Comment by L. – May 18, 2011 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for Nikita. Sad for Hellcats. And flabbagasted about OTH. It just won’t die!

Comment by Kate – May 18, 2011 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes yes yes all the love and support for oth the best show on tv and we get a season 9!!! hell yeah!!! and for all you people wondering about lucas and peyton. chad m murray tweeted that if it got picked up for a season 9 he wanted to return!!! so yeahhhhh

Comment by heather – May 18, 2011 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im glad OTH is coming back with season 9 but only 13 episodes :( i love that show way too much to end but it has to end sometime right. I hope they bring back lucas and peyton for 1 episode at least or something they were a big part in OTH! I cant believe Hellcats was cancelled was it to become of Ashley Tisdale and Aly Michalka they are gorgeous and awesome actors! I thought it was doing well i guess not :( I should come back!!! :)

Comment by Jesenia – May 18, 2011 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed watching Hellcats since it started. I really hate to see it go. Just as I started watching TV again. Now I won’t be looking forward watching it again.

Comment by Lisa – May 18, 2011 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah for Nikita! I love the show! I hope Vampire Diaries stays too! Love that show as well!

Comment by Debi – May 18, 2011 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Vampire Diaries was one of the first set of the CW’s shows to be officially renewed. :)

Comment by Courtney Smith – May 18, 2011 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t let Hellcats go!! Is a fun show to watch.

Comment by Andrea – May 18, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am happy i use to watch hallcats is was a hell of a show. Nikita not a fan. Iam look forward to see one tree hill and another showss!

Comment by Jenny – May 18, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok i wanted OTH to go the moment peyton n lucas left. after they left i completely stopped watching. so.. now that it is renewed (which will hopefully be their last because OTH just doesnt feel the same anymore) can you guys please please please bring lucas and peyton back to end the series???

Comment by marlie – May 18, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • don’t get me wrong I love love OTH, but I would have preferred it if they had given Hellcats a chance instead. The series was great reminiscent of the High school days of OTH, but in College. It deserved a Season Two. Wish it had been on ABC family instead it would have had more chances to be renewed. I got hooked on this show so quickly that against my better judgement I watched all episodes religiously and now I have to live with another show that got axed. At this point I almost want to quit network TV all together…I think that unless it’s a reality show, shows don’t really get a chance.

Comment by Lilie – May 18, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Luv Nikita. Woot!

Comment by Xtian – May 18, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never watched hellcats, Maybe opens Tom Welling to doing Justice League movie – at least shows the studio’s he’s free to pursue that path with his fan base – if he’s up for it. Hopefully the studios realise all the smallville viewers would see Justice League 3D with smallvile’s 3 main stars in it. Or else smallville spin-off in 2012 – Metropolis 3D. Or telemovie/DVD 3D.;)

Comment by Cj – May 18, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not at all surprised to see Hellcats cancelled. That show had severely bad writing. It was supposed to be a show about cheerleading but it actually focused more on Aly Michalka’s musical skills and the same old boring romance plots that we’ve seen done countless times before over the last two decades.

I’m sorry that the actors will lose their jobs. Most of them are much better than the writing of this show allowed them to be. On the other hand, I’m pretty sure that all of them will find new jobs in no time thanks to their talent. Most certainly better shows than Hellcats.

Comment by nicky – May 18, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OTH was definitely a series end finale. All story lines tied up – everyone happy. Hellcats left lots of unanswered questions and really deserved 13 more episodes.

Comment by Sally – May 18, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Tree Hill??? Seriously??? I thought they cancelled that show years ago OMG!!! How did it last so long??

Comment by what – May 18, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita &/or OTH should have been canceled, not Hellcats! 90210 is the one that really needs to go. Now all that CW has left is Supernatural & Vampire Diaries, the only ones I will watch. They really should do a Smallville spinoff or pick up Wonder Woman.

Comment by Hilary – May 18, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hellcats had terrible ratings of course it had to go one night it had 979,000 that’s LESS than a MILLION. Less. terrible ratings, just terrible. Finally the CW is thinking smart.

Nikita of course was renewed averaging at 2.5 mil.
      OTH well…whatever.

Comment by Emily – May 19, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe that Hellcats was canceled! I’m gonna died! Noooo!!!

Comment by Lorena – May 18, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Smallville!

Comment by tom – May 18, 2011 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very happy about One Tree Hill. I have watched it from the begining and will very sad when it does end.
    I am upset about the Hellcats though. It was left with so many unanswered questions. I am getting sick of getting into a show, only to have it cancelled after one season. And this one was one of my favorite shows.
    PLEASE BRING IT BACK FOR AT LEAST A TRIAL RUN OR HALF SEASON, something. have to know what marti does now that she knows her sister has contact with their dad.

please give us more HELLCATS!!!!

Comment by Ashley – May 18, 2011 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Screw. . . no. . . F**K the CW!!!
    First no more Smallville or Spinoff – Superman tv Show or Justice League tv show with Tom Welling as SUPERMAN and now. . . no more Hellcats!!! After One Tree hill is gone i’ll never and many i know will never watch this stupid network program again
    and Screw and F**K NBC to for Cancelling Wonder Woman . . Please some other network please pick it up!!!!

Comment by Robert – May 18, 2011 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had the same exact reaction as “what” a few posts above this one. I thought One Tree Hill was cancelled a long time ago. Kind of the same reaction for Smallville though I knew it was still around. I had no idea Smallville would last that long considering the stories keep going around and around the same thing over and over again. Tom Welling must be exhausted after 10 years of being on TV with the same show for such a long time. Don’t get me wrong though, I’m not knocking either show (One Tree Hill or Smallville). I’m glad they lasted for such a long time; I guess I’m just surprised that the TV executives let them stay for so long. Those execs are always inclined to go with new shows, even if the new shows don’t get as good of ratings as the more established shows. (kinda stupid.)

Comment by Ben – May 18, 2011 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *Probably from the fact that the licensing fee constantly goes up each year and the costs of the show go up as it goes (higher salaries for the talent, etc).

Comment by Ben – May 18, 2011 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yessssssss! nikita season 2! just what i wanted! my whole family enjoys this show im sooo glad there will be another season! thank you cw ! and congrats to maggie q, shane west, lyndsy fonseca and all the other cast members! this is by far one of the best new hit tv series! and i hope to see many more seasons!

Comment by tracey rodriguez – May 18, 2011 11:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In my eyes, OTH series finale came at the end of season six. Everything after that doesnt exist in my mind. OTH was a great show but they dragged it on for far too long and the more seasons they release the more i cringe for its integrity just gets shattered.
    If the CW wants to be where it once was, it has to stop renewing this garbage. Goosip Girl and 90210 is such CRAP TV. Nikita, TVD and Supernatural bring in the ratings and they should be its top priority. Get it together CW

Comment by Krys – May 19, 2011 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my gosh I love Nikita. My favorite show on the network! Don’t really care about OTH but I swear Sophia Bush will be in the next season. What annoys me is that the OTH finale was actually good. It should have ended there. They tricked me I only tuned in thinking it would be the end and then they give it another 13 episodes. Never again.
    Really love Nikita as said earlier. Maggie Q and Shane West I love them. Cannot wait for Season 2.

Comment by Hattie – May 19, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SAVE HELLCATS!!!

Comment by Paulina – May 21, 2011 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just give me one more season of Smallville with Tom wearing the cape thru the entire season. That’s all I want!!! Nothing else seems to matter to me!

Comment by Anthony Bower – May 21, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found Nikita to be a sadly stereotypical spy show, with all kinds of laughable moments like N fighting with a samurai sword (I LOL’d at that one), but I’m happy it has fans who want it to come back. Now, I REALLY hope OTH’s final season is as much of an achievement as the previous ones were without Peyton and Lucas… *sniff* OTH is one of the best shows of all time. :D

Comment by CorduroyBear – May 22, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post