Ratings: Castle Finale Reigns Supreme

Castle‘s killer Season 3 climax took aim at the record books Monday night.

With 13.2 million total viewers, the pulse-pounding hour ranked as the show’s second most-watched episode ever and its best season finale performance to date.

Castle Finale Recap: Deadly Confessions

Dancing With the Stars was the night’s top-rated show with a 4.4 demo rating, while drawing 21.4 million total viewers.

DWTS Recap: Semi-Charmed Life

Elsewhere on this busy, busy Monday:

8/7c | House placed second during the hour with 8.85 million viewers and a 3.5 rating, up 14 and 21 percent. How I Met Your Mother closed the season with 7.1 million and a 3.0 (up 11 and 20 percent), while lead-out Mad Love ended its one-and-done run with 5.8 mil/2.1 (up double digits). Chuck concluded its latest mission with gains of 9 percent (4.46 million viewers) and 15 percent (a 1.5 rating). The 90210 graduation was attended by 1.66 million and scored a 0.8, up double digits.

Chuck Season Finale Post Mortem: The Game Has Been Changed Yet Again!

9/8c | Mike & Molly ended its freshman run with 7.5 mil and a 2.5, up 14 percent. Two freshly canceled shows — The Chicago Code (5.92 mil/1.9) and The Event (4 mil/1.3) both saw double-digits increases. Gossip Girl (1.33 mil/0.7) increased 17 percent in the demo.

10/9c | Trailing far behind Castle, Hawaii Five-0 wrapped its freshman season with 9.8 mil and a 2.5 rating, up 8 percent. NBC’s newly axed Law & Order: LA (4.3 mil/1.1) was the only show — only — to drop week-to-week, some 10 percent.

1. Cate says:

Does anyone else feel like punching the writers in the face? How dare they leave us with this?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• aleksa says:

Someone (I think it was the show creator) said he was going to avoid Twitter for a while after the finale because people were going to be after his head. :)

2. Raksha says:

I love Castle!! Glad to see it doing so well.

3. mcyoung12 says:

Punch them in the face?!?!? I want to give them a big fat kiss for the most awesome finale I have seen in a long time!! This season has had amazing season finales. HIMYM, Chuck, Castle, Fringe. Holy crap I can’t wait for fall!

• Whatshername says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking! Most of the finales have been *awesome* this season. I have to admit that I teared up for the final scene (and that doesn’t happen often!)So a big kiss for the whole episode (yes, for the final scene, but also for the investigation and the 3rd cop thing, that I did not see coming!) but a punch because what a way to leave us until september!

4. Jennifer says:

Awesome episode! Those ratings are well-deserved.

• sladewilson says:

ITA!!! So far the season & series finales for the most part have been exceptional. I’m just mad that The Chicago Code got cancelled.

5. Davad says:

It was awesome. Kate laying there, but you know next fall it’ll be ok from that standpoint. Just like Chuck last week when Sarah got hit by the Norseman and was left hanging, but the preview for the finale showed them getting married. You kinda know some characters are safe unless contract negotiations have been going badly.

6. Lisa says:

Hugs not punches Cate. That episode was AMAZING!!!! The coolest thing about it is the ‘cliffhanger’ is not whether Beckett dies, obviously she doesn’t, but that Rick told her he loves her! Wonderful spin on it really.

Hope the people behind Castle are enjoying a good Tuesday looking at their numbers, they deserve it.

7. D says:

The Castle finale was awesome. Except for that tinny little part that we’ll have to wait until September to know what the h*ll is going to happen next.
    I HATE cliffhangers.

8. Cara says:

Hawaii Five-0 is a must better and more exciting to watch. We do not care about Castle at all, getting the ratings lift from a reality show, Dancing with the Stars.

• Brandon says:

What an ignorant comment.

• Amanda says:

I watch and love both shows, but H5O’s season finale was horrible. I hated everything about it. Castle’s was superb!

• amadeline says:

I too watched both and I absolutely agree with you. Castle was fantastic, while H50 was horrible. It was so cliche. Couldn’t they have come up with a fresh story? It was so been there, done that a 100 times or more by everyone else. It bet the original 50 team are rolling over in their graves on what they’re doing with the new series lately. Here’s hoping they get their act together over the summer.

• Jenn says:

I love both shows and watched both finales but Castle’s was head and shoulders above H5O! Castle has totally set the standard of how a finale should be done! Congrats to everyone involved as they totally outdid themselves. The only downer, as others have said is the LONG wait until September!

• Amanda says:

Hawaii 50 is horrible. ALL Alex O. does is take off his shirt, Poor acting. The story makes no sense. Dull cliched dialogue. I watched at first because of Scott , but I dumped the show anyway. One person doesn’t make a show.I am not surprise Castle won the night.

• Christina says:

You “must better” practice your grammar and sentence structure before posting a comment.

• Scott says:

If H50 is so good, why does Castle beat it in the ratings? Also H50 is a remake, so nothing original there, unlike Castle.

And as for lead-in arguments please, since 2.5 Men went on hiatus it’s no coincidence that H50’s ratings have dropped. Don’t knock Castle for making the best of its lead-in.

9. Lourdes says:

There ain’t no words to describe the awesomeness of this chapter! Those 3 final words were just fantastic! I wasn’t expenting to hear them coming out yet! I just hope Kate will remember it when she recovers…
    (sorry if my english ain’t good, it’s not my native language! =D)

• Natalie says:

I absolutely agree, awesome season finale!
      But I had exactely the same thought: Isn’t it a bit early for those three words??… I bet Kate will have a blackout and won’t remember a thing and than Castle has to decide whether to repeat those three magic little words!… and I would also bet that he won’t, because that would be to soon in the series (sorry I can’t help it, but concerning that matter, I always compare with “Bones”^^) and I hope we will have a lot more Castle Episodes to come!
      So writers: please keep them “dancing” some more time, but maybe not as long as Booth and Brennan ;)

• Lourdes says:

I also think that if she doesn’t remember, he won’t be saying them again. But why won’t he? that wouldn’t make much sense, since his mom told him not to waste time and he [thinks] is about to lose her! It’s going to be a little bit frustrating… Maybe they’ll get mad at each other and that’s why they don’t get together yet… And what about Josh? I’m still confused for all that just happened, so I better stop thinking and wait ’til September!

I just have to say a huge THANKS for this amazing show! I hope the writers keep surprising us like they have been doing!

• Izzy says:

I don’t agree that it’s too early for the 3 words. I mean, he’s been following her around for the past three years, and they’ve been through so much. And it’s no secret that it’s not just about the books anymore. Also, throughout Countdown, Castle was already worried about her well-being and the possibility of losing her. I think that having her shot there in front of him, dying in his arms (again) brought all of hidden emotions to the surface. It didn’t matter if she’d reject him, it didn’t matter that she had a boyfriend, in that moment, it stopped being just a possibility.

• Izzy says:

Oh, and as AM infamously tweeted “I’m heart, not Hart.”

Hopefully they won’t be jerking us around for too long. I’m sick of investing in characters who never change.

10. Brandon says:

Well deserved.

11. Linda says:

Congratulations to cast and crew of Castle! WTG Well deserved.

12. sarah says:

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I wish summer would go by faster.

13. Amy says:

Castle was AMAZING last night!! My favorite season finale since season 5 of LOST. Glad Castle is doing so well in the ratings! Congrats to the cast, writers, crew – keep it up!

14. Ashley says:

The season finale of “Castle” was AWESOME! I’m so happy the show’s numbers continue to climb.

15. Carrie says:

We didn’t see blood. She might have been wearing bullet proof vest? And Castle and the shot knocked her down.

• MadameDame says:

Of course there were blood ! Her hand was on the wound and the white glove was not so white anymore…

16. CC says:

Outstanding Castle Finale….well deserved ratings. Looking forward to Season 4!

17. Holly says:

The Castle finale was so good, I had to rewatch it today during my lunch hour. Can’t believe I have to wait until September for new episodes :(

18. Aiden says:

I’m glad the CHUCK ratings climbed up even just for a little bit for that incredible, incredible finale. And now, with its move to Fridays at 8 in the fall, at least the competition wouldn’t be as tough as Monday nights anymore. So happy for that show and I can’t wait for season 5.

19. fairienote says:

I am still in awe of the Castle finale. I have not seen an hour TV that had me THAT riveted in a long long time. That was absolutely amazing. I had always admired Stana for her acting chops, but she blew me out of the water with the scene in the hanger. Absolutely heart breaking. KUDOS and FANTASTIC JOB to all involved with the show. Amazing ending for writer Will Beall.

20. Amber says:

The season finale of CASTLE was AWESOME. This show TOTALLY deserves an AWARD. Who agrees with me!!!

21. GirishWinchester says:

Please, please, please let Kate not be dead. There’s no Castle without Beckett! I used to watch the show because of Stana’s amazing Katherine Beckett. I love Kate! Now, I watch the show for both Castle and Beckett. This season has been the best season of Castle! They cannot let her die! Oh God, they cannot let her die!!! I felt as if I was the one who loved Kate and lost her! Nathan and Stana are such awesome actors. I’ll stop seeing the show if Kate is dead. I cried when she was shot!! I’m 21 and I definitely don’t care about characters as much as I cared about these two :(

22. aarooni says:

the last episode was awesome.very sad but what an ending and castle/beckett are so close yet just cant get pass the line.that last moment when castle said the ove word left me teary.great show and very well written.pls let them hook up even if castle has to find her(maybe shes given a new id if she survives)and prove himself…either way they are soul mates.