House Shocker: A 'Disappointed' Lisa Edelstein Calls It Quits

House fandom, brace for impact: Dr. Cuddy is checking out.

Lisa Edelstein — whose long-term contract expires this month — has opted not to return for the show’s eighth and likely final season.

In a statement, the actress says, “After much consideration, I am moving onward with a combination of disappointment at leaving behind a character I have loved playing for seven years and excitement of the new opportunities in acting and producing that lie ahead.”

Fox and NBC Universal declined to comment.

Back in March — when the future of House itself was up in the air — Edelstein told TVLine, “Nobody at work seems to think it won’t [return]. Everybody wants to come to a deal, and I certainly am looking forward to a Season 8.”

In an interview last week with BlogCritics.org, exec producer Katie Jacobs said she would “not rest” until Edelstein was on board for an eighth season. “Lisa is such a valuable member [of the cast],” she said. “I challenge any other actress on TV to do what she does seemingly effortlessly. She goes between drama, comedy, intelligence, sex appeal… It’s certainly not my plan or David’s plan or the creative team’s plan to not have Lisa in the show.”

There’s talk Edelstein was a victim of belt-tightening at the show. In the aforementioned interview, Jacobs acknowledged that, “For seven seasons we managed to avoid getting the phone call to make cuts in our budget. But now we’re getting that call.” Perhaps she rejected a low-ball offer — hence her disappointment?

Earlier this month, Edelstein’s costars Robert Sean Leonard and Omar Epps inked new deals to return to the show. Hugh Laurie, Olivia Wilde and Peter Jacobson were already contracted for the recrently-greenlit Season 8, leaving Jesse Spencer as the only remaining question mark.

The news comes a week before the show’s current season — arguably Edelstein’s meatiest yet — comes to a close. It’s unclear if the finale sets the stage for a possible Cuddy departure, but that seems highly unlikely.

Thoughts? Stunned speechless? If you’re capable of forming a coherent thought during this emotional time, hit the comments!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Controversy, News, Scoop

1. Kelsey says:

I agree with alot of the comments. For 7 seasons Lisa has been Cuddy, This is a dramatic change that not everyone is going to like.

2. Beens says:

What?????I am speechless………..the show will not be the same without her!!!!!!!!Please have her back.

3. Angela says:

I was surprised to hear Cuddy is leaving but I think its okay. I did not like her with House. They didn’t make for a good couple. As Dean of Medicine – she was great but I think she’s replacable.
    If Vogler steps in…. House may end up in the Big House for shooting him. That would be an arogant team to put together!
    Of all the possible candidates, I’m thinking Foreman would be a good match to pin against House.

4. Pat says:

The bottom line is, Lisa has to take care of herself. Nobody else would and could do it…better. Whatever her reasons, they’re the right reasons…for her. I wish we could know her reasons, so at least we could make a viable judgment on their being right or wrong, from our own vantage points. That’s not for us to make, though. But from her own vantage view, she made the call and that’s all there is to it. Sad, but…

5. Rebecca Grindstaff says:

I was already stunned by the couple (House and Cuddy) not being together long enough for us to really enjoy it! To picture him without her there anywhere at all? Unthinkable. Why? What are you thinking? This couple is a BIG part of the show. It will never be the same…

6. adam barksenius says:

Please do everything you can to keep her on. She represents playing by the book and is Dr. House’s only link to a normal life.

In my opinion, she is worth all her money!

7. CuddyWHO? says:

House is the only char. that the show needs. Really. House with patients. That’s all it needs.

8. ATW says:

I think Lisa is a great actress and her character Cuddy is vital to the show as House’s Boss who makes excuses for him because his medical prognosis is “always right” and Love Interest Lost after episode “Bombshells” which follows romance cliche of boy and girl fall in love but can’t be together until they overcome the obstacle and finally are (happy ending) or aren’t (tragedy) and ‘coz House is such a complex character it would be cool if Lisa comes back for the finale as one of his Patient’s (they finally resolve conflict kiss and makeup) but it’s the one case he can’t solve and she dies anyway and he quits.

9. Jen says:

I am SHOCKED that “Cuddy” is leaving. She is amazing and I will miss her. Having said that, I was getting tired of the back and forth between her and House. We all know that last season wasn’t the greatest, and I think part of that was a result of the story line with Cuddy and House getting tired. Does she still love him, or is she moving on? Are they going to get back together, or not? What extreme behaviour are his feelings for her going to drive him to this week? I was hoping that the dynamic between them would change in season 8. As much as I love Cuddy and hate to see her go, maybe this will give the show a chance to venture into some new waters… keeping my fingers crossed!!

10. lilimay says:

first the writers of the show need to be booted. i think cuddy got sick of the story line. her character of head of a hospital became a joke, not like when the first 6 seasons made her look wiser than House sometimes. but the writers made the major mistake by not writing her baby in as HOUSE’s which would have been a twist the show needed. now, imo, cuddy will not be able to be replaced. so, yes the show is seeing its last. sorrry HUGH, i think you need to look into movies. i love his acting skills.

11. A.O. says:

I have really enjoyed watching House, and am pretty bummed that Lisa is opting out for this upcoming season; however, actors are still human beings, despite popular belief, and have every right to make decisions that benefit themselves, without considering what the fans may want. She is mortal just like the rest of us, and should be able to do with the rest of her life what she wants.

12. J says:

y risk loosn d ardent viewers of house by getn rid of cuddy seeings as its d probably final season already.whoeva replaces cuddy will not av d history house does wt her,d dynamics of d rlshp cant be dt inetrestn it would even put a damp on house n wilson….it just wont be the same

• Ardent viewer says:

Are you almost completely illiterate “J”? Good grief, get yourself into a school of some sort and learn to spell! You’re not impressing anyone by brandishing the sword of the English Language like a limp noodle. You reflect a less and less literate society very badly indeed.

13. Anthony Lewis says:

seening season 7 in its entirety.House is crazy and and any self respecting woman will leave on that note.

14. Dania says:

this is a big mistake they are doing. i love this show. its my life. nobody can replace any of the characters. this is just some bs!!! lisa is an amazing actress if she leaves or any other character leaves theres really no point on me watching the show. a lot more people are going to stop watchin the show. i will be super mad if any of the characters leave. if u guys end the show with house and cuddy getting back together then maybe we can talk. until then theres no negotiation!

15. Carolyn says:

I’m thinking this will ruin the show. Cuddy and house were the show, but they could never leave things alone and let anyone be happy on there long. If their smart they will remove some new comers and get her back.

16. Maria says:

ugh first they get rid of Allison Camren’s character who I loved. They should’ve just kept the original cast after Chase returned. Like with Foreman, Chase, and Camren. Taub could’ve been an extra and 13 was already out for most of the season. this is really sad. I used to like the whole dynamics and House and Cuddy’s fights. Now what?

• Jersey Girl says:

Maria: I agree with you. What’s with Olivia Wild? Seems she can’t make up her mind if she wants to be on the big screen or the TV.
      Don’t know what kind of contract she has with FOX but it seems stupid.She is not “star” quality.
      I understand that there will be many story lines around House going to jail then his life afterwards.
      Oh well. Guess the writers never heard of “if it ain’t broke than don’t fix it.”

17. Jersey Girl says:

Better had Olivia left the show – I can’t stand her. She looks and acts like a sick cow.

I am aware of the new female who will be on the show in its 8th season. Hoping there will no love interest between her and House. The show seemed to go down-hill once the unrequieted love between Cuddy and House was fulfilled. The tension with their relationship was a much better story line. Hoping to see “Wilson” a lot more on the show. He’s great.

18. Judy says:

I have watched House since the first episode, love, love, love that show! I haven’t even gotten over missing Cameron yet!!!! And now Cuddy, what the heck? And I loved Masters, thought it was a good story line.Wilson, Chase, Foreman….My husband knows….if the phone’s for me, I WILL NOT TAKE CALLS TIL AFTER HOUSE IS OVER!!!! I was devastated when I found out this is the final season!!! So now what? More sickening reality shows? More comedy {that aren’t even close to funny} shows? Oh please!!!! Might as well bring back Kate Gosslin!!!! Guess I’ll go back to reading: leave the TV off altogether!!!!!!…….

19. TJ says:

House has been failing for some time now.
    It is really too bad Cuddy had to go.
    All of the players did well in their
    positions. I think House was the character
    who was “running out of control”.
    I think Cuddy made a good move.
    Leave now while you can still hold your head high.

20. Chris P says:

Funny How the show is called HOUSE, so why is everyone crying?

21. Tiffany says:

I agree, quit actting like your gonna kille yourself. This isnt the first time a character left (and remember they returned later). Some of you really need help,,,,or lives, I’m not sure which you need more!

22. EXHOUSEFAN says:

The writers dropped the ball with rthe funhouse dream seqeunces and stretched the ability to or suspend disbelief by having a brilliant doctor addicted to vicodan of all opiates! The tylenol killing him instead of his addiction was just plain dumb, as were the dreams and all the surreal time filling garbage. Only the relationships made the show worth watching, and I am not talking about the one between House and Wilson. Congratulations to the writers and producers for making the last season of what COULD HAVE BEEN a great show SUCK. Watch the ratings sink, watch the nominations go away, and watch people applaud Lisa Edelstein for being wise enough to get on a different show before the complete train wreck that once was a fairly good show called “House” don’t know what got into the writers and producers – why they felt “Burning Down the House” was their best option, but knowing Cuddy won’t be back makes the show unbearable to watch, and now that the secret is out of the bag – good luck at maintaining anything that even lasts through the final season. The show has become a WASTE OF TIME.

23. Carolina says:

The show will never be the same without cuddy and house. The two episodes have not impressed me so far:(

24. janice says:

Lisa is an amazing actress and House is not worth watching without her (and some of the other missing members of the team) …I saw the second episode and House is amazing as ever…but the new young assistant from neuro? really?…. her acting is High School level at best…I cannot believe they would cast her…very unfortunate…

25. Nat says:

Personally I’m hoping that season 8 if it is the last season ever ends with the death of house I mean I love him and he’s fricken legendary and stuff but come on he drinks and popped pills like candy for years I’m just saying his livers gotta be fried

26. glad glad says:

im so glad shes gone she was annoying and every time she showed her ugly face i skipped her part cos shes an idiot glad shes gone

never again

27. AaronGTV says:

Are you guys smoking crack? I love the Cuddy character too, and yes the show will be lessened with her absence… BUT COME ON!!! the show is great! And every who so far has been even better than the next! Give the writers some credit. It’s not the end of the house world lol. And if anything, the fact that we have to find a replacement for such an irreplaceable actress will only add to the shows appeal. And as far as “actors owing us anything” they owe us about the same loyalty that the networks show them when they get “CUT” from a show .. because make no mistake, good actors and characters are dropped every day. And what loyalty are they shown? The House writing team is so strong, I wouldnt put it past them to be able to do the entire show without HOUSE LOL. Keep up the good work guys! We like what we see so far ;)

28. Dan Carr says:

I think that Edelstein’s Character as the Hospital Administrator plays a pivotal part on the show. It will be sad to see her gone from the show. I really enjoy the chemistry between House and Cuddy. Should I stop watching? Hell no. I will continue to watch even though she has moved on. I say bring her back but What’s done is done.

29. gkel says:

If we do not want to see characters/actors leaving the shows we love just for cost cutting, we should stop watching the rest of the show.

30. GIZZY says:

CAN YOU PLEASE NOT CUT HER FROM THE SHOW I BEEN WITH YOU GUYS SENSE FIRST SEASON HOUSE AND CUDDY AND WILSON ARE THE SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. Dan Carr says:

@ Tarc ….

THe Other Guy was right You’re a schmuck.

Peace!

32. RK says:

Someone collapses, gets better, has heart attack, House says it’s lupus or lyme disease, no, it’s a tumour. No, it’s an allergy or parasite. Looks like it was Cuddyitis all along.

33. TAS says:

I cant believe this, house and cuddys relationship was the highlight of the entire show. Their scenes together was what i was looking forward to in each episode. She must come back! We need a little bit of romance in season 8.

34. Abby Smith says:

The whole dynamic of House is gone; he sexual tension that hung in the air, the inappropriate innuendoes and actions that just seemed to fit and the one person who could show House reason without reigning him in too much. Without Lisa the show is devoid of any emotion or romance, even without Huddy there would have been an amount of tension (especially with the ridiculous end to season 7). I absolutely detest Foreman as the Dean and putting my opinions aside there is no reason for him to be trusted with Lisa’s baby that she has nurtured for years because in the show she said herself that Foreman would never become House because he does not have the immense genius that House has but has become too much like him to see reason. some of the ridiculous procedures that House has wanted to do in the past Cuddy has been there to stop him doing anything too out there without stopping his diagnosis working; Foreman just does not have that quality and on many occasions will just not be able to stop taking he risks that in the end will lead to a disaster. Why can I, a 14 year old girl, see the need for Cuddy and the quality of the acting that Lisa Edelstein manages to pull of flawlessly and the people at NBCU decide to cut he pay of a main character as important as Cuddy and risk her leavin and killing the show. They either were tryin to have some balls and try to get her to agree to the lowest pay that they could or thy just don’t care about the quality of the show. House will go out with a limp and not he bang that was intended and expected. I for one am no longer watching House.

35. Abby says:

36. ss says:

The show went down hill when they changes IP the original 3 interns. This change stinks too; however, I will miss the show if they end it.

37. Don Ross says:

Wilson: I have a problem.

Forman: Does it limp?

That was priceless last night, I hope this show stays on forever!

38. Job says:

Hate to say it cuz I enjoy the sow, but me thinks you are correct…

39. Kyoko says:

Can’t believe they end this show in the cheapest way. Cuddy not on the show because they tried offering her less money. People, a good show should end the best way possible, not just eliminating characters for budget reasons. That was lame. Disappointed :-(

40. novalee says:

I’m so sad that cuddy Lisa is not in it. She was cool . The show is not good w/o Lisa cuddy her and house would pick on each other . I don’t like this season w/o cuddy In it. Now who does house get to pick on bring back cuddy please will she come back on

41. novalee says:

I agree cuddy got taken off the show for less money. Wow that is lame she was the best boss .dealing with house it was fun to see them fight or house trying to cuddy fall in love with her . Bring back cuddy

42. novalee says:

House went down hill after cuddy left there is no point in watching house if cuddy gone . There were good together Idk that is messed up that cuddy quit the show . Grrrrr

43. Tony says:

I will still watch House (great show) but will no doubt miss Dr. Cuddy…. she is EXTRMELY HOT!!!

44. Cuddy's lawyer says:

F*ck yourself Shore,Fox and all whose was part in this shame!

45. Lol says:

You guys are idiots. She was being greedy…. Real doctors who do real medicine who save real peoples lives make on average 200k a year. Shes complaining that she makes 175k PER episode … up to 2+ mill a year? Gimme a break- shes a freaking actor.

46. motogp34 says:

she left to do what ??? Oh right NOTHING….

47. Bert says:

Well, Season 8 happened just fine without her, and actually gave House “breathing room” to be dysfunctional in other relationships. Far from “going out with a limp”, the finale was very, very, well… House.

48. Jess says:

sure, people absolutely loved the season without Cuddy. That’s why House lost tons of its viewers in season 8 and got canceled in the end. Best season ever.

The series may be called “House” but Cuddy clearly was House’ heart. Period.

Totally understand that Lisa left… Would have done the same if I was in her position. You rock, Lisa :D

49. Gpunki says:

i HATE Masters..very extremely annoying!!! she is the most terrible female role in the show ever!!!

50. why did they take cold case off on Fridays on ion channel. that sucks!!!! you can’t even buy the dvd in stores. although I saw it on the internet, you can buy all 7 seasons for about $128.00. I think it comes from Australia.