Fall TV Preview

How I Met Your Mother Boss Teases Season 7 and an 'Explosive' November to Remember

The day How I Met Your Mother fans never thought they would see is coming — Barney is getting married “a little ways down the road”!

It will, however, take quite a journey for the all-but-confirmed bachelor to get there, one that will revisit his past with Robin in “complicated and juicy” fashion, executive producer Craig Thomas tells TVLine. And Barney is not the only one who will be on a new path, as we learned in Monday’s season finale. After a rough year, Marshall and Lily are expecting a little Marshmallow or Lilypad, while Ted has finally blown up The Arcadian and his relationship with Zoey. Lucky for us, Thomas was kind of to offer up some teases about what it all means for the CBS comedy’s Season 7.

TVLINE | Given some of his issues, Barney getting married suggests quite a change for the character. Will we see a very different Barney next season?
We don’t know when this wedding is taking place. … We’re threading the needle on that [in Season 7]. How does Barney get to that place? What changes him? What makes him want to do this? Who’s he marrying? How did they get there? What’s going on on that wedding day? Is he happy? Is he nervous? Is this going to go forward? Is it going to be a disaster? … I will tease that in November sweeps of Season 7, where there will be four huge episodes for Barney. It will involve Robin, and there will be some very explosive relationship stuff happening.

TVLINE |
You have stated that the wedding will be revisited in the Season 7 premiere. Will we be getting another clue?
Yes. We’ll be getting more clues. The season premiere of Season 7 will pick right back up at that future wedding. We’ll get to see more of Ted and Barney’s conversation [there]. … You will learn more. That wedding will inform Episode 1 of Season 7 quite a bit. In fact, it is a wedding-themed episode.

TVLINE | Does that mean there’s another wedding, in the present timeline?
I don’t want to say. I want to leave something up for grabs.

TVLINE | A lot of people are speculating that the bride is either Nora or Robin. Is it safe to say that it’s one or the other?
It’s not safe to say that. Season 7 is going to be interesting. There’s going to be some [new] candidates. I wouldn’t limit it to those two.

TVLINE | How big of a role will Nora and the character played by Michael Trucco play next season?
For Michael Trucco, it’s good for him, bad for us, because his cable show (Fairly Legal) got picked up for a second season, so we won’t get to use as much of him as we would like. He will come back – we promised that through the narrator – but we won’t be able to use him extensively. Nora, I will say, is definitely going to be a part of Season 7.

TVLINE | Carter [Bays, co-creator] told TV Guide Magazine that the wedding is the beginning of Ted’s love story and the end of somebody else’s. Is there anything you’d like to add to that?
All I’ll say is that when we eventually get to that future wedding day, it is definitely not what everyone would expect. It’s not a wedding day that will go completely smoothly, but it will end with Barney being married. It’s not a fake-out. It’s not going to be something where he runs away from it. Barney Stinson will get married that day, and we will show to whom and exactly how it goes down.

TVLINE | There were a lot of hints in the finale that maybe Robin isn’t completely over Barney. What is her journey next season?
For any fans who felt we shortchanged by the Barney and Robin story in Season 5, there’s some really juicy stuff coming up for the two of them in Season 7. Like I said, some pretty big stuff goes down in November sweeps. In Season 5, we had them date for, I think, eight episodes and break up, and that felt right at the time. These two characters didn’t feel anywhere near ready to commit to one another. It’s now a couple years later, Robin is seeing Barney grow up a little bit…  It’s not gone unnoticed by Robin, who also did not have a serious love interest this past year. She’s definitely going to have to wrestle with that at the start of Season 7.

TVLINE | Lily and Marshall, especially, had a very tough year. Will next season be lighter and more joyous for them now that they’re finally pregnant?
Definitely, we will see a very joyous and happy Marshall and Lily embarking upon pregnancy and parenthood in Season 7. As like a fan of the show, I felt so happy for them that they had a light at the end of this tunnel.  It’s like the clouds have parted and the sun is shining on them.

TVLINE | Are you worried at all about adding a baby to the show, and what that will do to the dynamic?
I think it’s just going to get us nothing but huge ratings – a little baby. [Laughs] I don’t worry about it. There’s that conventional wisdom that babies ruin shows, but ultimately we’re writing this series about people starting in their late twenties and  going through into their early and now mid-thirties. This couple has been together for something like 16 years, so it’s natural for them to embark upon this. To me, it would be much weirder not to introduce a baby at this point. Why wouldn’t they be doing that? And we’re very lucky that television seasons are roughly the length of a pregnancy. And we did jump ahead to September for the “I’m pregnant” moment, so we have a pregnancy year coming up, which is great because you have three trimester’s worth of material to write. … That’s stories we’ve never done in our 136 episodes, so I think it’s great to have the new material.

TVLINE | With the two-year renewal, have you plotted out the story through Season 8? Or are you just focusing on Season 7?
The two-year renewal is great for us because it has allowed us to figure out the big moments we need to hit in Season 7 to set up a bunch of stuff in Season 8. We already have a bunch of arcs planned for Season 8 and quite a bit of Season 7 planned out. Like I said, I’m especially looking forward to November sweeps in Season 7. There’s some enormous Robin/Barney stuff happening in there… There’s a tremendous amount of chemistry between these two characters. It’s all very complicated and juicy and frustrating and fun. It’s very cool to open up that chapter again [which] was never completely finished.

TVLINE | Ted was in a relationship for most of this season. Will he remain single for a stretch or are you going to introduce another love interest?
Ted is single at the start of Season 7, he doesn’t pair up right away. I don’t want to give too much away about where it all goes. … It’s actually a really refreshing thing writing Season 7 so far, to get Ted really reset back to square one of, “I’ve had all this career success. I’ve been focusing on my work. I remember at one point I was really committed to finding the right woman and settling down and having kids. Whatever happened to that?” Ted, when we met him at age 27, already felt like he was running late on meeting the right woman and having kids. So now he’s realizing, “I’m 33 now. I kind of have to get on this in a recommitted, serious way.” That leads to some really fun stuff for Ted [and] some “single and on the town in New York City” stories.

TVLINE | Will the GNB Tower storyline carry over for Ted?
Yeah. Season 7, Ted starts off on a hot streak because he’s kind of a big shot — it’s incredibly rare for someone in their mid-thirties to get a skyscraper built that they designed. His students look up to him, he ends up getting a feature written on him in New York magazine…. All of a sudden, Ted’s a catch.

TVLINE | Over the course of the season, will we get more hints about who the Mother is, like we did in “Girls vs. Suits”?
Definitely. We’re going to spend more time in that future wedding day and learn more about what leads to Ted meeting the mother, and who she is.

What are you most looking forward to seeing in Season 7? Are you excited the show is revisiting Barney and Robin? Who do you think the mystery bride is?

Comments (336)

• um didn’t the episode end with Ted saying “And that’s how I met your mother”???? Clearly, we have a lead….
    And its definitely not robin, because Ted DID say uncle Don, it was just before we were introduced to Don. He was talking about Robin dressing up for halloween, which she never did before

Comment by AT – May 24, 2011 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my perfect wedding episode would actually be the bride as Nora!Yes, I said Nora but it has a bigger piece to it. I hate them as a couple, but here is why I say Nora:

Robin basically told Barney to marry Nora, but at the same time showed feelings for him and Barney showed feelings for her.So, that would leave Barney wanting to talk to her before getting married, but calling Ted in to see if she should.Robin could be one of the bridesmaids since Nora would see her as being a friend who ‘witnessed the moment their love rekindled’.When the time comes to ‘speak now or forever hold your peace’ barney would be the kind to look over Nora’s shoulder and give Robin that ‘should i marry her’ look. Robin would be the kind to suck it up and force a smile and Barney seeing right through it. Then barney and robin getting married at the courthouse, her in a expensive tight fitting dress and barney in his best suit.(the dress being tight as to something barney likes)

oh and i have a theory that there will be double trouble with two Lillypads for lilly and marshall

Comment by nicole p – May 26, 2011 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What if the wedding at the end of the season 6 was a mix between punchy’s and Barney’s wedding. Would that explains Lily’s dress maybe?

Comment by Ryan – May 27, 2011 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, here is my hypothesis on what will happen in season 7 with the whole Barney getting married thing (or what I really REALLY want to happen):
    Barney and Nora get together, and Robin basically fights not to scream the place down for a while. Things move quick for B and N, so Robin (mainly to try and ‘prove’ she has no feelings for Barney) dates weird shirt guy, but it all kinda flunks ’cause he realizes that she’s in love with someone else. Barney and Nora plan to get married, and Robin finally tells Ted, Lily and Marshall about her feelings for Barney. They try to help her, but it’s no use, and the wedding quickly arrives, and everyone gets ready for it, goes to the church, yadda yadda yadda. However, part way through the vows, Barney realizes that he actually loves Robin (probably a theme going on for a few weeks), so, somehow manages to marry her instead. Oh, and there will probably be a reference to the whole ‘New is always better’, bu countered with ‘Unless it’s Robin’ or something to that effect. Because writers just love emotive themes.

Uh, rambled on a bit there, but does anyone agree that could be the general jist of the whole Barney, Robin and Nora thing in Season 7? Anyone?

Comment by El – May 27, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can some 1 know the date when season 7 will be on air??????

Comment by wal11aca22 – May 28, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • barney and the new introduction… i definitely dont want that to happen.

Comment by altoids – May 31, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • imagine the few outcomes it would come to if it were robin who told ted to go to barney…. make the bride nora:P

Comment by matthew – May 31, 2011 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i imagined there to be some refference to don’t invite your ex to your wedding… so i’d imagine that only one of them(robin or nora) would be at the wedding(provided its one of them getting married)unless being barney he brings up the “if she’s hot” thing

Comment by matthew – May 31, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it may be my lack of understanding marriage. but doesn’t the maid/matron of honor stay with the bride? so seeing robin and lily’s relationship lily will be the maid/matron of honor so she won’t be by barney to know that he was calling ted… so that potentially crosses robin out.. as for Nora we don’t know the relationship she develops with the gang so lily might not become maid/matron of honor for their(Nora and barney) wedding. all in all I’m gunning for Nora:P

Comment by raymond – May 31, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barney and Robin NEED to get together!It wouldn’t make sense for Barney to end up with somebody else!

Comment by Tina – May 31, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please make it barney and robin….

Comment by lydia wu – June 1, 2011 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • god knows when Ted will marry :)

Comment by Barney – June 3, 2011 12:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am following this show from first season..I like the way all stories inter-linked

Comment by Barney – June 3, 2011 12:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even I feel Barny and Robin should get married..

Comment by Barney – June 3, 2011 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barny is awesome as he is..if he get married and play responsible man that will be boring …

Comment by Barney – June 3, 2011 12:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thats the whole point of this show. If they reveal the identity of the mother, then pooof …the show ends!!!
    I do not want that to happen.

Comment by nchatt – June 6, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First, Swarkles all the way. Second, this is such a fantastic cast. If you haven’t had the chance, go to youtube and watch their outtakes, freakin’ hilarious.

Comment by Krissy – June 6, 2011 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ted would be robins best man. She made him promise in an earlier episode. Lily’s dress could easily be a bridesmaids dress or if she had the baby already maybe she wasn’t in the wedding party officially because she would be sitting with her kid and it would just be Marshall and ted up there with the couple…

Comment by jenn – June 11, 2011 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ” eventually get to that futurewedding day “…what to expect???

Comment by ks – June 15, 2011 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to love this show, mainly because Barney was hilarious, but now that he’s turned into Robin’s gay friend with a conscience I can barely be bothered watching. What happened to Barney slaying chicks every episode and dragging the other guys out of their lame lives? What happened to all the piss funny one liners liners?

I don’t care what happens in season 7, because if the last season is anything to go by it’s just going to be s big gay love in. Way to ruin what was an awesome show.

P.s. I know the guy that plays Barney is gay in real life, but that just made his sexist jokes and behavior all the more funny.

Comment by Swarley – June 16, 2011 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1.why nora was never called aunt?2.but then cartar said marige wd b start of one rltn,maybe b and nora and end of anthr,b and r.3.was don actually called uncle?4.brnys half sis,very prmsing

Comment by Mahin – June 16, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I reckon Ted marries barneys 1-2 sister, robin marries her secret crush cause remember it said that they were dating in a few months, barney marries Nora and lily has a boy

Comment by Hazza – June 17, 2011 04:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When is this Happening; November 2011, or 2012??? Please help!!???

Comment by MexicanSweetBread – June 18, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barney will probaly not marry nora or robin

Comment by Riley – June 20, 2011 03:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uuummm I dont get all these people hating on this season, there was indeed a ton of comedy and the character development was NECESSARY!!!! And every season has been hysterical 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 and I’m sure there will be comedy in 7&8 and personally, I LIKE the character development, makes the characters relatable. A thought occurred to me too, in one ep, it was brought up that Lily pees A LOT, and when people get pregnant they have to go a lot more so I hope they touch on that lol. And one last thing…. SWARKLES 4EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! No matter what happen, I will b a Barney/Robin fan. Can’t wait for season 7

Comment by Littleblackneko – June 20, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to know if we will ever figure out who ted marries before the whole show is over. because i would really like to see how there relationship grew and what went on with them for at least a season or 2. i hope we find out by the end of the 7th season.

Comment by Ashley – June 22, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THink about it remember the episode where robin said she found her “crush” and that ted said it wasnt the end of it but more on that later. remembeR? so robin deff hooked up with that guy and barney married nora simple.

Comment by HIMYM – June 29, 2011 02:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh and when the episode explosive meatball sub robin was standing next to his friends and he said:-thank you my very good friends

Comment by HIMYM – June 29, 2011 02:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who said the kids are Ted’s. Maybe they are Barney’s kids and Ted is telling the story of how HE met Barney’s wife. This could leave the show open for future series????? Obviously, the kids aren’t Robin’s, because Ted constantly calls her Aunty Robin.In the end Ted could still marry Robin.

Comment by Kaz from oz – July 1, 2011 04:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But he always calls Barney “Uncle Barney,” so it wouldn’t make sense to say that to Barney’s kids.

Comment by himym – November 1, 2011 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kaz from oz are you related to elmo

Comment by champ – July 1, 2011 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My theory is: There is a small bus (I think it’s a bus) that’s sitting on a shelf behind the kids. In an earlier episode Ted saw the bus at a girlfriends house and told us it belonged to the mother. The future mother was his then girlfriend’s room-mate, we didn’t get to see the room-mate, so she could be Nora. Barney could hook up with the room-mate (Nora), get her pregnant, marry her and have the two kids – they might be twins. Shortly after the wedding Barney and Nora will get divorced and Barney will be Barney again!!!!! Then Ted and Barney can go on looking for hook ups for many more seasons. We need comedy! Bring back the awesomeness. No more weddings! Kaz from oz you are brilliant!

Comment by champ – July 1, 2011 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, i think barney’s gonna get married to a guy. i dont find either robin or nora good enough for him. Him marrying a guy will be interesting.
    I also think ‘the mother’ is barney’s half sister.

Comment by Shaily tasnim – July 2, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • who is barney’s half sister

Comment by Riley – July 7, 2011 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is my favorite show of all time. The way the writers combine elements of drama and comedy is genius. Personally I hope that the bride isn’t just some random. I think it should be either Nora or Robin, because the audience needs to have some history with the character. And the same for when we meet the mother, throwing her in at the last minute would be anti climatic in my opinion. We gotta get to know her!

And to y’all haters, if y’all think this show isn’t funny anymore or it’s lost its touch, then go watch something else! You won’t find anything else as good as this. If you prefer random laughs over brilliant character development, there are plenty of other sitcoms out there for you.

WE OUT. ( black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow )

Comment by Arghhufker – July 9, 2011 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hear you there, brother! Excellent show. Well thought out story AND hilarious comedy!

Comment by Squeezey – July 9, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed, this show hasn’t lost its humor at all, although i agree that it should focus a bit more on ted meeting the mother. Teds next girl friend should be brunette so we know theres a chance shes thy mother!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Skeletalwhore – July 9, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im over ted and robin. a few seasons ago i had hope for them even tho he called her AUNT robyn. but things have changed and i think robin shyouldnt be the mother. it would make the whole AUNT thing misleading and the whole series would be a trick! I dun LIEK TRICK
    Ps. lovin the show, hope it never ends!

Comment by Pumba3000 – July 9, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow

Comment by blackandyellow – July 9, 2011 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAAYY! i love robin and barney together.

Comment by Person – July 10, 2011 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • has anyone else noticed that it says a little WAYS down the road instead of a little way down the road. Just a little thought that it may have some significance. Im from Australia and here we say a little way down the road so unless its just what people say in America…i wonder

Comment by Gracie – July 12, 2011 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think the bride is that girl in the saint patricks day episdoe, he bumps into her for 2 seconds and says,im sorry, and then he just lets her go… ted would not let a girl go, AND the mom was at the saint patricks day party. the actress also has brown hair like the kids

Comment by barney – July 12, 2011 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok… Did you notice that Ted is upset at Barney`s wedding?Why is that?because I believe that the bride is Robin…And Robin was dating Ted and had a really nice relationship…So that`s why Marshall and Lily look so supportive to him…So he stands up and goes inside to be Barney`s bestman uknowleging their love(barney-robin) but still being in love with Robin…But reading the writer`s interview I assumed that Robin and Barney realise once again that they cannot be together…So that`s where Nora or a new character shows up…plus!This what appeared to be a wedding could just be a rehearsal…So that could also explain the changing of the names in the wedding…

Comment by nacifer – July 13, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, i think that Ted is upset because he’s marrying Nora & Robin told him that she loves Barney. & I also think that Barney’s sister is the motherr!

Comment by Camilin – July 14, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Nora is Barney’s bride.

Comment by Babar Suhail – July 18, 2011 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The thing about Lily’s dress..remember Robin did ask Ted to be her best man..and at the end Lily says the best man is needed didn’t say Barney’s best man..so that could be why Lily is not dressed in a maid of honor dress.

Comment by Melissa – July 18, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • maybe the mother plays in the weddings band?? it could be anyone at this point dont rule anything out!

Comment by Cory J – July 18, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about during season 6 when robin had a crush on that guy at the department store and future ted said (not exactly what he said) that we’ll see more of him later? In my opinion it’s too simple if it was robin or nora like the exective producer said there are other candidates coming up. But it’s always good to hear people’s theories.

Comment by HIMYM fan – July 19, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Remember when Jerry said that his daughter is going to college and Ted said his future wife was in the economics room and why else would she be at the wedding? and so much more but i may be wrong. who knows?

Comment by HIMYM fan – July 19, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i just cant wait for the 5th slap i hope marshall uses it on barney’s wedding day as itll be so much funnier

Comment by Sam – July 21, 2011 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hated robin x barney so i hope its not them that are getting married

Comment by hides – July 22, 2011 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a huge Robin/Barney fan :D They should be together!! I’m also a huge sucker for the “we were meant for each other” story lines, and ANY other girl barney ends up marrying will be a huge letdown. I do, however, think that barney goes into the wedding with the intention of dating norah or another girl, gets married and regrets it, ending up with robin. somehow. I know, not very well thought out, but I have high hopes that the writers will somehow give barney and robin the ending they deserve :) <3

Comment by Dorsa – July 26, 2011 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i know!!! i love Barney-Robin. From the first episode i ever watched of the show (zip zip zip, season 1) i LOVED them together. i really really hope they get married :)

Comment by robinsparkles14 – July 26, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am so exited!!! and heres a REAL big spoiler: the season premiere takes place at punchys wedding.
    also, im seriously diggin the half sister theory. I really think Carly is the mother. if you haven’t heard the theory yet: slapbetcommisioners.blogspot.com
    and i REALLY hope Barney marries Robin <3

Comment by robinsparkles14 – July 26, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I read someone said that we don’t know for sure that Robin isn’t Teds wife.
    Pretty sure it would be creepy if she was – considering he refers to her as Aunt Robin when speaking to his kids.

Comment by Shelby – July 27, 2011 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post