ABC Fall Schedule Revealed: Cougar Town Corked Until Winter, Angels Land on Thursday

ABC is the latest network to show its hand for the 2011-12 TV season, and it features a resting place for Charlie’s Angels, a conspicuously absent Cougar Town, and one relocated long-running series.

As seen below, ABC’s Angels redo has scored the Thursdays-at-8 time slot leading into Grey’s Anatomy, a semi-heavenly perch that can quickly turn to hell once American Idol shows up at midseason.

Speaking of midseason, that’s where Cougar Town will uncork its third cycle, airing Tuesdays at 9 in between Dancing With the Stars competitions. In the Cul de Sac Crew’s stead, the midseason crowd-pleaser Happy Endings will lead out of Modern Family.

Fall TV Preview: Our Guide to Next Season’s New Shows

Also on hold for later debuts are the brand-new series Apartment 23 (to air Tuesdays after Cougar Town, between DWTS seasons), Good Christian Belles, Missing, The River, Scandal (from Grey’s creator Shonda Rhimes) and Work It.

Other scheduling of note: Bumped by another kind of fairy tale drama (Once Upon a Time), Extreme Makeover is moving its bus from Sundays to the Friday lead-off slot, where it will feed into Shark Tank. Claiming Brothers & Sisters‘ Sundays-at-1o spot is Pan Am, the new retro drama starring Christina Ricci.

New shows are in CAPS; click links for cast/plot details.

MONDAY

8 pm Saturday Night College Football

SUNDAY
7 pm America’s Funniest Home Videos
8 pm ONCE UPON A TIME
9 pm Desperate Housewives
10 pm PAN AM

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: Better With You, Brothers & Sisters, Detroit 1-8-7, Mr. Sunshine, My GenerationNo Ordinary Family, Off the Map, The Whole Truth and V.

1. Mike says:

I keep saying it on comments and blogs over and over again. Monkeys could run a television network. Mainly because they have longer attention spans.

BTW, Happy endings is hysterical. I think Eliza Coupe is going to be the next major female comedy star. Casey Wilson; can’t figure out why SNL dumped her. Oh yeah..she’s funny.

2. TeaTexas says:

Ahhh, I loved that Detroit 187 show, it was in a bad time slot.
    But BIG THANKS ABC…..LOVE CASTLE!!!!!!!!!!
    Castle is the MAN!

3. Jake says:

I kinda like this schedule :) If the shows are as good as this schedule, I’m very happy :) Shame ’bout Cougar Town being planked, but at least it’s not cancelled!

4. Hannah says:

Does this mean that they passed on the Poe pilot? I was really looking forward to that because the actors are so great!

5. Davad says:

I really have been liking “Happy Endings” but I’d rather see “Cougar Town” back first. I can understand, however, why they’re going to do HE first, since it’s newer, I think they don’t want people to forget it. They know we’ll all come back to CT when it does show up.

Pennny Cannnnnnnn.

6. Lash says:

Two words about this Cougar Town hold off.. COME ON! I am so tired of networks(esp. ABC) of destroying the potential of fabulous shows. Do we remember the Pushing Daisies and Eli Stone nonsense and Off The Map turned to crap but started with a good premise. Unfortunately what ABC doesn’t seem to understand with these new Shonda Rhimes shows is that if we wanted to watch Grey’s Anatomy we would. Can honestly say I don’t see anything I would be interested in watching except Apartment 23. My Plan: return to ABC programming at midseason.

7. Annie says:

NO COUGAR TOWN?! First Abed loses the Cape and now this? He can’t take much more :(

8. Peter says:

Okay, I’ll bite. As a fan of ‘Cougar Town’, I think the move to mid-season is a potentially good one for ABC. Look what it did for ‘Parks & Rec’ over at NBC. A two season old series with critical praise and a relatively small but strong fan base coming but strong as a mainstay. I’m all for it.

As for ‘Happy Endings’, I’m glad this midseason series is getting a fall start. It both deserves and needs it. One of the better new comedies from this past season.

9. Kate says:

I’m so glad Castle is staying on Mondays! I was worried they’d move it. Not that I don’t think it would be successful on another night, but this show actually makes me look FORWARD to Mondays. To lose that would suck! Thank you ABC!!!!!!

10. Justin says:

What happened to Hallelujah? Wasn’t that supposed to be picked up by ABC?

11. James betts says:

I loved better with you,it was one of the few comedys I stuck with.abc said it wasnt family friendly with the other weds shows but the other shows werent family friendly either, weird huh?

12. Jeri says:

I liked Better with You. I like Cougar Town but I think Better with You is the better show. That’s a disapointment.

13. bianca says:

Here is the perfect Wednesday night ABC line up:
    The Middle, Modern Family, Cougar Town, Happy Endings.
    Gold baby! Way to ruin it.

14. bianca says:

And cancelling Brothers & Sisters- only the best show on TV!!
    Agree, ABC is run by monkeys.

15. FactCheck says:

Looks like ABC is in a race with NBC to see whose corporate execs are the biggest morons. I’m surprised that CBS hasn’t already turned *that* into a reality show.

16. P. says:

Both shows are awful, and the fact that people are arguing over ABC’s slotting of them just shows how dumbed-down America truly is. And as for all-caps 700 Club fan, even if there is a Christian God who judges us all at our demise, Pat Robertson is the worst example of the values Christianity teaches. He is a bigoted, racist, selfish thief of money and values, exploiting the weak-minded at every opportunity. I’d rather watch Cougar Town.

17. Destiny says:

Happy Endings is a horrible show….no one I knew liked it, I’m surprised it got picked up. Mr. Sunshine was much better, and that wasn’t even all that good. I can’t believe they cancelled No Ordinary Family and The Whole Truth…those were really good shows, and different. Even My Generation was better than Happy Endings and that only had two episodes!!!

18. Koda says:

Relax cougar town will be starting in November

19. Pam says:

cougar town is histerical! Seriously…drinking and all…we all know its a comedy…who cares!?! I’m sure people like “happy endings” I’m just not one of them… Cougar Town was my night to sit with my own glass of wine and laugh hysterically…it was what I looked forward too on Wednesday nights….and now….NADDA!!!!!!!!!! WTH?!?! Although maybe instead I will come and read these post…because they are entertaining as hell!:0)

20. Dilbert says:

Cougar Town rules. Courtneys too hot for Prime time. Serious viewers need to go elsewhere. (There’s a channel for everyone somewhere) This is entertainment, not an ethics lesson. Escape into a story on TV.