ABC Fall Schedule Revealed: Cougar Town Corked Until Winter, Angels Land on Thursday

ABC is the latest network to show its hand for the 2011-12 TV season, and it features a resting place for Charlie’s Angels, a conspicuously absent Cougar Town, and one relocated long-running series.

As seen below, ABC’s Angels redo has scored the Thursdays-at-8 time slot leading into Grey’s Anatomy, a semi-heavenly perch that can quickly turn to hell once American Idol shows up at midseason.

Speaking of midseason, that’s where Cougar Town will uncork its third cycle, airing Tuesdays at 9 in between Dancing With the Stars competitions. In the Cul de Sac Crew’s stead, the midseason crowd-pleaser Happy Endings will lead out of Modern Family.

Fall TV Preview: Our Guide to Next Season’s New Shows

Also on hold for later debuts are the brand-new series Apartment 23 (to air Tuesdays after Cougar Town, between DWTS seasons), Good Christian Belles, Missing, The River, Scandal (from Grey’s creator Shonda Rhimes) and Work It.

Other scheduling of note: Bumped by another kind of fairy tale drama (Once Upon a Time), Extreme Makeover is moving its bus from Sundays to the Friday lead-off slot, where it will feed into Shark Tank. Claiming Brothers & Sisters‘ Sundays-at-1o spot is Pan Am, the new retro drama starring Christina Ricci.

New shows are in CAPS; click links for cast/plot details.

MONDAY

8 pm Saturday Night College Football

SUNDAY
7 pm America’s Funniest Home Videos
8 pm ONCE UPON A TIME
9 pm Desperate Housewives
10 pm PAN AM

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: Better With You, Brothers & Sisters, Detroit 1-8-7, Mr. Sunshine, My GenerationNo Ordinary Family, Off the Map, The Whole Truth and V.

1. t.t says:

wheres COUGAR TOWN!!!!!!?!?!?!?

• Tavis says:

This is disgusting!! Do they expect us to watch Happy Endings because it’s in CT’s time slot? Hell no! I’ll be DVRing Modern Family and watching something else on Wednesday nights at 9.

• billy says:

Have you watched Happy Endings? I makes far more sense to put it after Modern Family, because they share more thematically than Modern Family and Cougar Town. I love Cougar Town don’t get me wrong, it rocks and it sucks that it won’t be back until late fall, but this is a good move by ABC.

• Tavis says:

It’s not a good move for Cougar Town fans!!!!!!

• Dane says:

Happy Endings has some pretty risque material. I think they have to dial it down if they aren’t going to make it live in the Watershed timeslot. I think CougarTown is a little more lighthearted and family-centric.. a better lead out from Modern Family and a good bridge to Happy Endings.

But.. I’m not in charge of the line up so who cares what I think??

• Mike says:

Happy Endings is way better than Cougar Town, dont get me wrong, I used to love cougar town, but now I just like.
        I mean they screw the serie so much, the joke are all the same, and I am so sick of that Penny Can, and If I want to wacth someone drinking so much wine in ridiculous glass, I rather watch the re-run of Old Christine without the ridiculous glass

• DB says:

okay, fans, why fight? Both Happy Endings and Cougar Town are fantastic shows! They both got renewed, and are both on schedule for the coming season! That’s great news, you can watch them both, it’s okay to love them both, they’re on the same network. Nobody said Mid-season launch is a bad thing, many shows nowadays are doing that (no repeats, anyone? that’s good!) So relax and be glad that your favorites are coming back!

• Tavis says:

Happy Endings better than Cougar Town? What a moron!

• jfriz says:

If you read the article you would Know it says Cougar Town Mid-season on Tues.

• Jeannie says:

Your all right – cougar town amazing show – great cast –
      It should be on Tuesday night after Tim Allen new show – happy endings should air after modern family …
      It’s time reality shows are so lam – time for real shows about real people…
      Thanks :)

2. klutzy_girl says:

WHERE IS COUGAR TOWN? I DO NOT APPROVE OF THIS, ABC.

3. AJ says:

Seems they have another 10 shows for midseason. How are they going to show them all!!

4. AJ says:

As for the absense of Cougar Town (and yes, I’m a Cougar Town fan), it shouldn’t be a surprise. Honestly, based solely on ratings, Cougar Town should have been canceled, so we should just be happy it’s coming back. So what if you have to wait for midseason.

• João Amaral says:

so based on ratings, The Middle and Happy Endigs should have also been canceled. Thats stupid man. Cougar Town it’s their second best comedy in terms of ratings and it’s the best creatively.

• AJ says:

But Cougar Town has always been in the post Modern Family protected time slot. The others haven’t (save for the premiere of Happy Endings).

• BRETT says:

Look at the demo… They were right to renew it. This is a dumb decision.

5. Lexi says:

WHERE THE HECK IS COUGAR TOWN?! NOT FUNNY, ABC!!

6. AJ says:

Pennycaannnnnnnnnnnnnn!

7. Lauren says:

This better be a mistake! Please keep us posted!!

8. Shari says:

Where is the office?

9. Chatty says:

Poor cast of Cougar Town! They certainly are funny. I do confess that I stopped watching not because of the name, but because the drinking got to be too much and it made me uncomfortable. Still, the show doesn’t deserve to be left out of the Fall Schedule; it’s well written and the cast is stellar. Too bad.

• t.t says:

lol lamest reason for not watching ever. seriously…

• AJ says:

Agree with you t.t – Funny show. Well written. Cast is stellar. But you don’t watch because they drink? I guess there’s always the 700 Club for Chatty to watch. LOL

• Ashley says:

Your comment is a fine example of intolerance, AJ. Chatty’s personal belief system made watching the CT characters chugging all that alcohol uncomfortable, but she still respected the show’s humor and understood how other people would find it funny. You don’t have to agree with her reasons for not watching, but you should at least show her the same respect.

• PATTY says:

I ONLY HAVE A FEW COMMENTS TO YOU. SHAME ON YOU FOR REFERRING TO THE 700 CLUB IN YOUR ANSWER. NO MATTER WHAT RELIGION YOU ARE IT IS NOT RIGHT TO MAKE FUN AT. SUPPOSE WHEN YOU DIE YOU FIND OUT THERE IS A REAL GOD. BUT IT WILL BE TOO LATE FOR YOU. I ON THE OTHER HAND DO NOT WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE ON THIS ONE!!!. IF I AM WRONG THEN I WILL BE OK BUT IF THE CRISTIANS ARE RIGHT THEN I WIL BE FINE.

• davey says:

Congratualtions!!! You are the winner of the “stupidest” comment of the day! Yeah!!!!

• zhaquiri says:

Give Chatty a break, guys. So what if she’s not comfortable watching grown adults drink a tub of wine each week? Don’t jump on her for that. To each their own, you know?

At least she didn’t bash the show. :)

• jenna says:

I too stopped watching cougar town. Its decently funny but I just couldn’t stand looking at courtney cox’s botox-ed face anymore. Seriously I wince everytime I see a picture of her now. What people in hollywood do to ‘stay young’….

10. jo says:

penny can’t believe it! Not happy.

11. Steve says:

I’m so glad Happy Endings is back. And paired with Modern Family?? That is a decision I can back. Happy Endings needs to be seen by more people!! It’s so so good.

12. zhaquiri says:

I demand an explanasyon! Where’s COUGAR TOWN? “Suburgatory”? Could that be the show’s new title? Suburbs + purgatory = cul-de-sac crew? People “stuck” in a suburbian purgatory?

This is probably just wishful thinking but, dammit, please make it real.

13. Steph says:

I thought CT was renewed? I will be seriously pissed if they canceled it…

14. Jason says:

Where is Lost?

15. scooterbeanbag says:

They should fill the 8:30 Wednesday slot with Cougar Town when Suburgatory gets canceled after 3 episodes.

16. Scott says:

Not impressed ABC, not impressed.

• jill says:

Love CougarTown – at least it’s coming back at some time! so my question is what’s happened to Brothers & Sisters? I loved that show too – talk about a stellar cast?! & storyline ~ would like the 411 on that one…anybody know?

17. amanda says:

COUGAR TOWN IS MIDSEASON. JUST READ IT ON TWITTER.COM/TVGUIDE .

18. david says:

It makes sense to hold on cougar town for midseason. Ratings wise is terrible. I thank ABC for not cancelling

• zhaquiri says:

I see your point, but then again…Cougar Town had trouble reciprocating after the “Mr. Sunshine” break (when CT gave way for Matthew Perry’s new show). Pushing Cougar Town back this long *could* mean cancellation after (or even mid) season 3.

By January 2012, people will have forgotten about the show and, most probably, it will just slowly fade into the background until cancellation.

• billy says:

Not true. When it took a break for Mr. Sunshine, it still came back with a core audience. The numbers dipped a bit, but so did Modern Family’s due to American Idol. ABC is giving the show hope by moving it to Tuesdays and hoping it can anchor a new night of comedy.

When Man Up or whatever it is gets canceled after after 5 episodes, they’ll pair Cougar Town with the new Tim Allen show after the DWTS results, just watch.

• zhaquiri says:

“ABC is giving the show hope by moving it to Tuesdays and hoping it can anchor a new night of comedy.”

Let’s hope that’s the case, especially the 2nd half of that sentence.

19. Joshua says:

Good Christian Belles midseason too I suppose?
    Shame.

20. Guy says:

Wow. Is it me or are the networks holding onto their most buzzed new shows until mid-season? It just seems very weird that all the good stuff won’t be here until January 2012. I mean there are a few i want to watch in September but its like the networks are trying something different by launching the buzz shows later instead of September.

I mean the likes of Smash, Apt 23, Good Christian Belles, The River, Scandal, Alcatraz, Touch are all mid-season.

In a way for an Australian viewer it means that we would not be so far behind come February each year when our ratings period begins.

21. Matt says:

ABC execs were obviously playing pennycan, so they let an intern do the schedule

22. Bridget says:

Where’s Better With You? Did that get cancelled and I missed it??

23. Lisa says:

Glad Castle is staying on Mondays.

24. scooterbeanbag says:

Cougar Town mid-season on TUESDAY nights? That’s just pure ABC crap.

25. Bob says:

People, calm down. Haven’t you realized yet that the nature of network television was dramatically changed when the networks started handing out only 13-week commitments? Maybe if you’re lucky they’ll give you the other 9 weeks? Now networks are in a position where a schedule of shows doesn’t stretch from September to May. They have lots of room to play around, taking good shows and waiting until January. Essentially, they can squeeze two seasons of shows into one season. So calm down, it’s no big deal if shows like Cougar Town don’t come on until mid-season (whatever that means now).

• davey says:

That’s all fine and dandy – but having to wait over 8 months for a show to premiere after its ratings have already slipped is just a sign that ABC wants Cougar Town to fail when it comes back!

26. Mrsb918 says:

Fingers crossed that one of the new shows completely bombs and they move up Cougar Town.

27. Amber says:

ABC is notorious for doing this with great shows. They keep moving the time slot so that faithful viewers have no clue when it’s on, ratings drop and it gets canceled. I’m going to miss having Cougar Town on after Modern Family.

• zhaquiri says:

I remember “Alias” suffering from this kind of fate, that’s why I’m so vocal about this now. They moved “Alias” around so much that people finally stopped caring (I was constantly on the Alias ABC forum at that time. I saw the amount of posters dwindle right before my eyes). At first they moved it to benefit from a “Lost” lead-in, but later on they just kind of tossed the show around until they finally had a good reason to cancel it (poor ratings). It also didn’t help that ABC meddled with the writing of the 4th season of “Alias,” demanded standalone episodes for new viewers (I hated that season).

28. Sam says:

Please let Last Man Standing be the first cut of the season. ABC is where I come for my happy shows, and I don’t need Tim Allen b***hing about “losing his manhood.”

29. Michelle says:

Sad that Good Christian Belles will have to wait until midseason. And on behalf of my roommate (who LOVES Cougar Town) Damn you, ABC!

30. chris says:

Cougar Town is a terrible show that loses half of Modern Family’s audience. It didn’t deserve to be renewed. It only got renewed because ABC produces the show.

• João Amaral says:

lol

• davey says:

…right…and how many episodes have you actually watched! If people turned on their sets to watch the show – they would realize it’s a laugh-a-riot! It’s not for everyone, but how can say that it’s a terrible show if you’ve never seen it?

31. Jackie says:

Brothers and Sisters was canceled???? Are you kidding?? Best show on TV!!!!!!!

• J.E.T. says:

I agree, my whole family loves this show. Heartbroken that it will be gone. Love Sally Field, she is an amazing actress.

32. Casey says:

I loved Better with You…so sad its gone. :(

33. Tavis says:

Is Cougar Town going to have a shortened season? Because there is no way 22 episodes will fit between DWTS cycles!!

34. Sara says:

My bet is they’re guessing that the new show at 8:30 tanks so then HE will move there and CT moves back to its original spot. Otherwise this move makes NO sense.

35. nakedheat2356 says:

CASTLE’s safe. That’s all I needed.

36. Gary says:

Chill people. Mid season start should mean few or no in season reruns.
    That is a good thing. If broadcast networks could afford it they should run two 20 episode series in each time slot. Series one from
    September to January. Series 2 from February to May. 22 episodes spread over 52 weeks is too many repeats.

37. Jennifer says:

I love Castle (last night’s episode was fantastic) but I don’t understand why ABC continues to waste the DWTS and Grey’s lead-in on established shows like it and Private Practice. I assume PP will sit at midseason for Scandal (as it should have done for Off The Map).

I’ll be checking out Charlie’s Angels, Once Upon a Time, Revenge and Pan Am (and Good Christian Belles once the time comes) but the new comedies sound awful. Better With You deserved a shot at the post-Modern Family spot.

38. Erin L says:

The first thing I thought when reading the schedule was “Where in the hell is Cougar Town?” MAJOR FAIL ABC

39. Tavis says:

Silver lining? Cougar Town is returning midseason on a new night, so ABC should use the opportunity to change the show’s title and launch it as if it were a brand new show. Then it might attract new viewers and anyone who was turned off by the current title.

40. Lynnette says:

I can’t believe they are doing this to Cougar Town!!! Stupid ABC!!!!

41. Kristy says:

ABC doesn’t care about “Cougar Town” and never has. That was obvious with the lack of promotion when it returned after “Mr. Sunshine.”

42. daniel says:

can someone plz tell me where is jenna elfman’s bad mom did the show get a pick up or not plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz auselio anyone answer my question anybody i need to know

43. Grey says:

Do we have any confirmation on whether Cougar Town will still have 22 episodes? Because it’s midseason does that mean it will be shortened?

• davey says:

The math just doesn’t work out for a full 22 espisodes like it was originally promised. Even if it came back the first week of January and lasted until the very end of May sweeps, that wouldn’t set it up for more than 18-20 episodes!

• zhaquiri says:

Kevin Biegel (@kbiegel), Cougar Town’s co-creator, tweeted just a few minutes ago saying, “As far as I know, the season is the same order. Full order.”

44. Kevin Grandison says:

Will miss Detroit 187,bad move by ABC.

45. Kosha says:

I will really miss Better with You, Brothers & Sisters and Detroit 1-8-7. I wish they had cancelled Desparate Housewives – it’s really gone downhill! I can’t beleive that Cougar Town won’t be back until mid-season either! I love that show!!

46. Kate says:

ARE ABC IDIOTS!

You realist that Cougar Town and Happy Ending were perfect partners, and instead they are p[airing HE with Modern Family! NOOOO!

Modern Family should have moved half an hour earlier and WEd should have been The ‘middles, Modern Family, Cougar Town, Happy Endings!

47. Hannah says:

Wow, looking at this schedule reminded me that I don’t watch anything on ABC anymore. Lost was the only show I ever watched on ABC.

48. XK says:

Did not find Happy Endings funny AT ALL. Looks like the only things I’ll be watching on ABC this fall are Castle and Charlie’s Angels (unless Minka’s hotness is overwhelmed by the show’s awfulness). :)

49. Jill says:

While I’ll be the first to admit Off the Map sucked, I’m going to miss getting my weekly Zach Gilford fix.

50. ggny says:

what a horrible plan by ABC…You got 2 of the most buzzed shows in Apt 23 and GCB and you hold them till midseason? GCB is the perfect compaion and would be successor to DH and Apt 23 would be great after Modern Family…I just dont see why holding your best 2 pilot to midseason is such a good idea