Breaking: CBS Cancels Criminal Minds Spinoff, Renews CSI: NY

Get More: Cancellations, News, Scoop

Another one bites the dust: CBS has canceled Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior after one season.

The news was better for fellow in-limbo procedural CSI: NY, which was picked up for an eighth season.

Suspect Behavior had three things going for it when it launched at midseason: Huge brand recognition, a cushy post-Minds timeslot and an Oscar-winning leading man in Forest Whitaker. The show nonetheless never caught on ratings-wise and now joins The Defenders, $#*! My Dad Says and Mad Love in CBS’ trash bin.

CBS has yet to officially renew CSI, CSI: Miami, Blue Bloods, NCIS: Los Angeles, The MentalistCriminal Minds, The Good Wife and Hawaii Five-0 but all are locks to return in the fall.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

Comments (122)

• I thought for sure Csi ny was done for. Glad to see it’s coming for another season. I wonder now if csi Miami is done for?

Comment by John – May 17, 2011 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CSI:NY – Very happy to see this was renewed! CSI:NY is an excellent example of good chemistry casting for the now defunct CM:SB to learn from. CSI:NY got it right and it’s great that they are back for another season!

Comment by Suncatcher – May 18, 2011 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think cancelling ‘Suspect Behaviour’ was a good decision.

While Forest Whitaker and Janeane Garofalo are amazing actors that I love to watch in movies and TV shows alike, I simply did not feel moved by the roles they were given in ‘Suspect Behaviour’. Even Kirsten Vangsness’ already beautifully developed character of Penelope Garcia was disappointingly underused on this spin-off.

And that’s kind of the key ingredient to a show like ‘Criminal Minds’, isn’t it? Nobody would watch it if its protagonists didn’t have those fascinating personalities.

Comment by nicky – May 18, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found the first three episodes of CM:SB EXCRUCIATING but after that I actually started to love it, I’d have let it run for another series just to see what happened. Some people obviously would never of liked it because it wasn’t criminal minds but I thought the show had potential if it had better directing. I also like the Sever character in CM because it adds a sense of reality to it, you know, having the boss pushing you.

Comment by Angel – May 18, 2011 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t realise that CM:SB was so disliked, I loved it and it was fast taking over as my favourite of the two. I love Criminal Minds, but the reacent changes to cast and storylines have just made it so-so whereas I found CM:SB to be fresh and new, and I actually really liked the casting choices, including Janeane Garafalo. Been a bad past 12 months for TV, with Terriers, V and now CM:SB getting axed.

Comment by Jen – May 27, 2011 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am SOO happy that CSI:NY is renewed! It is my favorite of the CSIs and I was worried when it got bumped to a stupid Fri slot. I started watching the original CSI again (had missed several seasons) when the Ray Langston character was added b/c I really like Laurence Fishburne, but it is still in the “eh” category and I cannot STAND CSI:Miami. Horatio drives me crazy.

CMSB was also “eh” for me, but now I want to know what they had planned after that season finale, lol. Anyone have any leads?

Comment by Erin – May 27, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do miss Stella (Melina Kanakaredes), though!

Comment by Erin – May 27, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so glad they canceled Behaviour Analysis it was a stupid show. I cannot stand Janeane garofalo and I am glad I do not have to see her in the fall.

Comment by Lily – May 29, 2011 12:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not that upset that suspect behavior was canceled. And I’m a huge Criminal Minds fan. The story lines were really good. But the acting just was not up to par. FW’s caricature was just all over the board. The whole cast seemed off. The chemistry was terrible. I guess I was just expecting better. I won’t miss the acting,but I will miss the story lines. I was not expecting it to be like Criminal Minds,but it did not meet my expectations,either.

Comment by heather – May 31, 2011 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • glad to hear TV has still some standard. CM:suspect behavior had the worst acting I’ve seen in a long time (since I stopped watching CSI Miami possibly), Forrest Whitaker is a great big screen actor but was terrible on TV, let alone his un-supportive supporting actors.
    Love CSI:NY on the other hand

Comment by fan – June 6, 2011 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People still watch network TV???

I do like Criminal Minds; it’s the only series on network that I watch. Well, okay, Amazing Race when it’s on. But who in their right minds would want to look at Garofolo’s ugly mug and watch her awful attempt at acting? I even skipped the commercials. She seriously stinks.

Comment by Pam – June 11, 2011 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy to see that piece of crap they had the nerve to call a Criminal Minds spinoff is being canceled. I was just so stupid, and half the time I had no idea what Forrest Whitaker’s character was saying. They had ruined ‘The fight’ by introducing the team for Suspect Behavior. These are just my opinions.

Comment by Christine – June 12, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am grateful that CBS made the right choice by renewing CSI: NY and not Criminal Minds: Suspect Behaviour. While i do miss Melina Kanakaredes, i absolutely love Sela Ward. She is so much fun to watch. At least they did not kill Melinda’s character off like they did with Emmanuelle Vagueire’s character, even though she was not a series regular.

Comment by Taryn – June 21, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cancellation of CM:SB was no surprise. I gave it a try because of how CM was one of my favorite shows and Forest Whitaker. Watched a few minutes and could do no more. The few I did watch was unbearable. Cast and writing was awful.

Comment by Peggy – June 22, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Apparently I’m one of very few who were bummed about CM:SB.
    I loved the show, personally. I don’t think CBS gave it enough time to get on its feet. I think it’s rather unfair that people compare it to CM all the time – because, honestly, what could get better than CM? It’s a spinoff, yeah, but it’s not trying to copy the original. -shrug-
    I loved the cast (yes, even Beth). I think they worked well together, and it was cool to see a different team working the profiles. (Admittedly, I started watching it just for Mick. I adored him in ‘The Fight’ and he was, if possible, even better in the show. Fell in love with the rest of them within the first two episodes.)
    It wouldn’t be so bad losing the show if CBS had let us have some…closure. One final episode to show what happened after the finale. I was spazzing because I knew it was the last episode and knew, if CBS was consistent with their crime dramas, that it’d be a cliffhanger. It just drives me nuts that we can’t know who got shot…
    Honestly, I couldn’t care less about the other shows. XD I like CSI, but I don’t like how they’ve become that HUGE franchise. It’s still a good show. I just don’t really follow it anymore.
    Well, at least CM is back with the main team. I’m happy about that.

Comment by Hornswaggler – July 28, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forrest Whitaker was incrediable and was beginning to create one hell of a memorable character. With more development it would have been a landmark series. I think it needed more about the personal lives of the main characters and perhaps more tension between them as they were too ‘perfect’ for their roles. The least interesting was Janeane Garofolo’s charcater. Maybe they should have had her knocked off to cement the rest of the team. What a shame the series wasn’t renewed!

Comment by Gazzamaloo – August 3, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dont understand why ghost whisperer not on any more that was a great show better the big brother and that stupid show is still on not fare that was one of the only thigs i like to watch on tv

Comment by Amy – August 4, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY OH WHY Suspect Behavior was great. Great Actors, great story lines, It was, well, great. Sorry to see it go, However happy that Criminal Minds is returning.

Comment by Nicole – August 9, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like CMSB bc overall the cast was cast well except JG and it had some good twists and turns during its short stint. I thnk CBS needs to get some new ppl producing and keeping the shows on. I ONLY watch cbs bc they have the best shows but if they keep canceling the good ones im just gonna stop watching tv alogether.

Comment by tasha – August 10, 2011 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thank god i’m glad that SB got cancelled. i’ve long suspected, the only reason why Paget and AJ got written out (semi-permanently, thank god) is because of the spin-off. no matter what they said. and it is proven when SB was cancelled both of my fav ladies are back. like so many of you, i tried to give SB chance, but even from the beginning (the first intro to the series during CM episode), i hated them. i found all of them almost equally annoying. there is no balance in the team…all of them are all “too cool to sh*t” (aka another horatio caine) there is no balance with geeks and nerds and normal guy, almost no humour and dare i day not even human. which resulted in a very annoying and unlikeable casts.

Comment by hagu – August 19, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Criminal Minds: Suspect never had a chance…Janeane G. was the biggest casting mistake in history…she is so far left, she is off the charts….I predicted this show would not make it and if you were to do a survey I bet the reason being would be Janeane NutBag…

Comment by Robert L. Canales – August 30, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh CBS please bring back criminal minds suspect behavior i think this show is worthy of a second shot. I was very dissapointed to read it wont be on this fall, this show had such an impact I forgot what the last episode of the original Criminal Minds was about. Im hoping there are more viewers who hold the same feelings in regards to the cancellation of Criminal Minds suspect Behavior. Bring it back CBS please.

Comment by chantelle – September 7, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Criminal minds before criminal behavior is the only show that my wife watches that I actually like watching with her , we have very different taste in T.V. Shows except for our hour that we sit together when the kids have fallen asleep and watch Hotch and the crew solve some crimes and save some people . Her favorite show and they change it , well you lost some viewers over this , unless of course it’s brought back and has spence , Hotch , and the rest of the original crew .

Comment by E-man-chu – September 12, 2011 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just realized I called it criminal behavior , sorry , Suspect behavior , any way I still can’t stress enough how much it sucks !! The new team is just boring . Glad they are gone . And my wife wants me to add ” what the he’ll were you thinking C.B.S. ” ?

Comment by E-man-chu – September 12, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY CSI MIAMI IS COMING BACK HELLZ YEA :D :”D <3!!

Comment by RIRI – September 12, 2011 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Criminal minds, The Defenders, your network is not worth watching anymore. I refuse to watch your network.

Comment by Carolyn B. Robinson – September 13, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You’re supposed to be getting kids off the couch, the parents do enough. I use to watch your station instead of cable even though I have At&t Uverse, but now I guess I will start to watch Showtime and things. You’ve erased every show I watch. Please tell me this is some kind of joke. Who’s making decisons. That bum needs to be fired. Whoever me the decesions to drop Criminal Minds and The Defenders. If there’s a way to get these shows on the air PLEASE LET US KNOW. Because this is a load of $h*#

Comment by Dwayne E Robinson – September 13, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes suspect behavior was not as good as the original criminal minds but Michael Kelly kept me watching since I had an obsession for him in dawn of the dead, also law and order Los Angeles I really liked too and that got the boot too.
    What is going on there is far worse shows than them.

Comment by Jayne – October 26, 2011 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The spin-off of Criminal Minds might have made it mindless twit Garafalo(sp) had not been
    on the show.

Comment by John Huntley – March 22, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love CSI:NY I was very didapointed when I turned to channel 6 at 9:00 on friday and found my favorite show was replaced with Blue Bloods.I enjoyed watching this show when it came on Wed,Sat&Sun. I never missed an show.

Comment by Connie Gurley – March 28, 2012 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i didnt like suspect behaviour but i really wanted to know what happened after the season finale if she died or not but i glad csi ny was renewed for a season 8 and now season 9 for the cost of csi miami

Comment by freddy – May 15, 2012 04:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad it’s gone. Criminal Minds can never be out-beaten by a spin-off.

Comment by Anne – February 16, 2014 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post