Breaking: CBS Cancels Criminal Minds Spinoff, Renews CSI: NY

Another one bites the dust: CBS has canceled Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior after one season.

The news was better for fellow in-limbo procedural CSI: NY, which was picked up for an eighth season.

Suspect Behavior had three things going for it when it launched at midseason: Huge brand recognition, a cushy post-Minds timeslot and an Oscar-winning leading man in Forest Whitaker. The show nonetheless never caught on ratings-wise and now joins The Defenders, $#*! My Dad Says and Mad Love in CBS’ trash bin.

CBS has yet to officially renew CSI, CSI: Miami, Blue Bloods, NCIS: Los Angeles, The MentalistCriminal Minds, The Good Wife and Hawaii Five-0 but all are locks to return in the fall.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Scoop

1. Erin says:

Woo-Hoo! I am so happy for CSI: NY.

• Debbie Fourney says:

I am glad to hear that CSI:NY will be coming back but I was upset to here that The Defenders and $#!My Dad Say’s was not, I feel they should give a show more than 1 yr before cancellation.

• michelle says:

I am sooooooo upset about the criminal minds suspect bahavior being cancelled…I will never know who got shot in the last show now and this is just not good :((((((((..I LOVED that show and will for sure miss it.
      Im still gonna keep watching the other criminal minds and sooooo happy i have one of them to watch..love those kinds of shows

• dee says:

i think u’re 1 of sooo few people that like the CM spinoff. i particularly, think that show is very poor.
        1.the series is way too focus on forest whittaker.

2.how could a so called “senior field agent” like SSA Beth Griffith has not shot bad guys once her entire career?

3.there’s no strength in the characters. unlike the genius Spencer Reid, the handsome-bad ass kicking Shemar Moore, the wise David Rossi, the lovable JJ; this spinoff completely miss character!

4.clearly this spinoff was meant to be a BAU nontraditional team, but it was so lame, it was much worse than the original CM team. when u want to make spinoff the nontraditional team, check out NCIS:LA. no authopsy, no forensics, many undercover assignments, so way out of the traditional way of original NCIS team. that the right way to make “nontraditional team” spinoff!

• DrReidTheBEST says:

so agree with you dee about the CM spinoff…Was sooo lame…i just watched the pilot (where they meet the original team) and the first episode and that was it for me. Too much Forest Whittaker, not enough character. And the acting!!! gaahhhh….I miss the original CM :(

Loved Criminal Minds, Hated Suspect Behaviour!! So glad they’re off the tv guide (i know this comment is wayyy too late now but that’s just because they’re just about to air the last EVER episode this week at our place)

• Ceres says:

It was the same for me; after 5mn of this spin off , I was through. the casting was poor/ even the worst casting I’ve ever seen. They should not put MOVIE stars on TV. they kind of want to eat in both plates these guys:Big screen and small screen? common give the chance to TV Screen actors. This was the same pb with CSI :L.Fishbourne ruined the new seasons. I stopped watching it when WP left. Some faces are just suited to be seen once, not every week! So I am glad they’re going to dismissed the character played by LF. I love the Original CM and its casts.

• Tina Zelinski says:

Please isn’t there anything that can be done to get Criminal Minds back? I and my husband simply love that show and I can send you a hugh list of people who do also. This show has an amazing cast and great actors, stories and scenes are unbelievably realistic.
        \
        PLEASE GET THEM BACK!!! LAW & Order is another great show.

• baby girl says:

I have notice a lot of good Shows have been Cancelled to bring on these crazy A** Show there are to many Realities Shows an Not enough Family Show its Real Sad that we have to settle for them lame a** shows … Look CBS let’s keep NCIS/NCIS!LA an All of the CSI an blue blood an please bring back Law And Order / an There are other good show that got canceled bring back New York UnderCover/ an NYPD blue /you people in the CBS office get it together cause I also have over 1700 signature I just don’t know where to send it so please someone out there please tell us cause I have put it out in Hawaii that these shows may get canceled..!! Well thank u GodBles many many Fans in hawaii an the other island

• Robin says:

I’m also upset that criminal minds suspect behavior is being cancelled. You could have taken several different shows. This is a big mistake. I don’t know where you think you get your ratings but you sure didn’t get them from the area that i live in. I’m disappointed with the network. Poor decision………….really poor decision.

• Krystal says:

I loved suspect behaviors! I can’t believe all the bad comments I really enjoyed the show :-/

• labarbara says:

i too loved suspect behavior. The team was great together. the short one season didn’t give enough time to get to know them. I am really disappointed that it was cancelled. Ugh!!!

• Virginia says:

The whole season is on Netflix :)

2. Matt says:

Good for The Good Wife?

3. Jennifer says:

Any word at all on The Good Wife? I’m getting nervous since I thought CMSB and CSINY would be the two dramas to go…

• xav says:

10 bucks says they announce a 2 year renewal for the Good Wife tomorrow at the upfronts after the finale has aired and people are talking about it.

4. Anki says:

So happy that CSI:NY return for an 8th season!

• spfdpat says:

I am also glad CSI:NY is back, good story lines, acting,writing etc. However CSI:Miami is getting very tired.

• Cita says:

I Love those kinds of shows/ CSI:Miami, CSI:NY, Criminal Minds, Criminal Minds Suspect bahavior, Hawaii Five-O, Blue Bloods, NCIS, NCIS Los Angeles, The Good Wife are the best shows that my mother and I watch Please don’t let those shows go cause we look Forward to this shows to come back on and We know that we are not the only one that like’s those shows !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ps.THOSE SHOW ARE NOT TIRED

5. Amber says:

What about the Good Wife? Why is it taking so long to hear?

6. SpeedRcrX says:

Now I understand why CBS offer AJ and Paget’s spot back on CM….

7. Dennis says:

CBS is so dumb to likely keep all three CSI’s. The franchise is not what it’s used to be…

• DL says:

Still, both of them are far superior to Suspect Behavior.

• Davad says:

CM:Suspect Behavior just sort of laid there, despite having a cast I liked. It just never clicked for me.

• MissD says:

the thing about CMSB was that Forrest Whitaker character was weird in a bad way.

• Vicki H says:

My problem is they went with more of a CSI Miami blueprint with Forrest Whitaker being the main focus and always the one who helped the victims instead of the more team effort of the original Criminal Minds.

8. Kate says:

Any news of Five-0? After last night it better be renewed!

9. Tiffany says:

I know I’m not supposed to be happy about other people’s misfortunes, but I’m pretty thrilled CM:SB got cancelled. I tried to give it a fair shot, but it was just awful. To have lost AJ and Paget for that was shameful.

• steve says:

the reason we lost aj and pagent had nothing to do with suspect behavior. Not really bothered SB is gone but it was never really given a chance to survive consitently being schuduled after repeats of CM.

• Alicia says:

Uh, yes it did–Nina Tassler admitted in an interview (waaaaay after the fact) that cost cuts (firing the two actresses) was a measure to help launch the spinoff. Which everyone suspected even though they lied and said it wasn’t a financial decision. So CBS can eat crow with this cancellation and set things completely straight by getting Paget back.

• HRU says:

oh yes it had everything to do with the cutting of those two Female actors.

• Suncatcher says:

I said back on June 15 when then dropped AJ Cook and cut Paget Brewster that it was due to the CM spin off which was ill-advised. I really gave CM:SB a try but whoever did the casting blew it. There was absolutely no chemistry in that group! None. And why anyone in their right mind would cast Janeane Garafalo…? Ugh!
        It was painful to watch the new show. Glad it’s gone so they can repair the trail of damage done to the original CM cast. Also, maybe now Thomas Gibson can be lured back.

• Dave says:

SB had to be a total game changer and home run for people to give a show with janeane garofalo a shot. Major casting FAIL. That chick is completely toxic and polarizing, not to mention totally unlikeable in every way.

• Jem says:

I agree about Janeane Garofalo being a miscasting for SB. She threw the chemistry off badly. I really only liked the chemistry between Mitch and Prophet, they seemed like best friends or something. Gina was growing on me. Cooper was okay. But Beth (JG) bugged me.

10. Jennifer says:

So excited!!!! This was the show I was worried about!!! Hopefully it can get it’s Wednesday spot back!!!

11. Susan says:

So happy for CSI NY

12. Jess says:

So freakin’ HAPPY for CSI: NY!! LOVE the show; THANK YOU CBS!!

13. Ingmar says:

Glad for CSI NY althought it was a nice season finale. Still waiting for TGW news thought. Untill then it will be hard to sleep.

14. Mel (Toronto) says:

Thank GOD CBS gained some sense and canceled Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior. They should not have even attempted a spin off of the original. Now please make sure Thomas Gibson is back and freaking pay Paget the money she wants! I feel like I’m getting my original Wednesday night family back! <3 Criminal Minds!

15. Leigh-Anne says:

Thank you Mr Ausiello for the news I have been on tenderhooks, and thank you CBS for renewing CSI NY – it is without doubt my favourite show. I am in the UK so I have not seen the Crimnal Minds spin off, sorry for its fans.

16. Lee says:

I actually liked CM: SB…I guess I was the one…

17. Susan says:

Now how about giving Thomas Gibson a contract? CBS, you failed with a spin-off, so how about keeping the Criminal Minds team together? Why mess up a good thing?

Glad to hear CSI: NY made it, it’s the only CSI I enjoy watching!

18. Belinda says:

I gave CM Suspect Behavior a try and barely lasted the first episode, dreadful. I love the original Criminal Minds and the chemistry among the cast is palpable so they should STOP messing with that formula and give us our CM cast back in full and keep them happy.

19. nonabgo says:

So happy for CSI:NY! Since it’s the only one I like, I hoped they would renew it.
    CM:SB cannot be compared to the original Criminal Minds, which is my favorite show on TV. Not even Forest Whitaker could make it bearable.

20. D says:

I’m thrilled that CM:SB was canceled. That thing shouldn’t have even gone to series last year.
    Glad that CSI NY was renewed, though I didn’t like this season so much.

21. IloveCSINY says:

Thank God! I’ve been praying for this! Thank you CBS! CSI: NY the best. I really enjoy the show so much!!!!

22. Allie says:

So excited! CSI: NY is my favorite show. I’m so glad that CBS renewed it!! Of all the shows on CBS this is the one I would miss the most. Best cast. Great characters. !!!

23. tj says:

Thank heavens CBS got rid ov CM:SB I could never get past the cast to even try to watch it. NOW CBS should reunite the original members of CMs and keep to the writing that allows the forula work!

24. kelly says:

Hated CMSB. Still waiting for The Good Wife and Blue Bloods!!!!

25. Barbie says:

I liked CM:SB, but it’s a small price to pay for my CSI:NY, which is by far my favorite CSI and one of my very favorite shows!

26. Anna says:

Why do people care so much about a show being cancelled if they didn’t watch it? I don’t understand how people keep blaming the spin-off on things happening to Criminal Minds. They are different shows with completely different budgets just like NCIS and NCIS: LA.

I did enjoy CMSB overall, mostly because of Michael Kelley but Forest Whitaker annoyed me so while I’m sad CMSB was cancelled hopefully Kelley will find another show and then everyone can be happy :)

27. Ashley says:

I hate to be mean, but I’m happy “Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior” was cancelled. It may not have had anything to do with losing AJ and Paget budget-wise, but Nina Tassler freely admitted that the season 6 changes brought to the original show were in part influenced by the spin-off. Now CBS needs to give Thomas Gibson and Paget Brewster whatever they want to make them stay/come back and get rid of the Seaver character and I’ll be a happy (and loyal) viewer.

28. Lilyphia says:

Yay for CSI:NY!!!! I love this show and I will forever watch it! i love “The Messer Family”!

29. Juliab says:

Thrilled CSI/NY is coming back. Good call CBS.

30. Ashton says:

Never watched cmsb but I love csi ny! Now bring back the good wife and blue bloods and I can sleep easy this summer

31. Taryn says:

YES! I LOVE CSI NY! Now renew the other two, plus Hawaii Five-O and the Good Wife!

32. Mikaylah says:

So glad they canceled Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior! This was obviously something pushed to development by a money hungry network. The original Criminal Minds is great, and a spin off COULD happen if they did it right. The spin off cast had very little (if any chemistry).

• QueenBee says:

I know! I mean geez…. Forest Whitaker was in a world of his own… he could have been monologuing for all we care… and that short girl.. never did like her….in any of her works so far. Took me just 2 episodes to stop watching lol

YEY CSI NY!!!!!

33. Lucy says:

Thank God for CSI:NY! From all CSIs this one is the best for me and Sela is doing such a great job!

For me, Miami could say bye-bye.

• CurryFan says:

OMG, YES!!! I can’t stand Horatio at all. Way overacted. Every time I try to give that show a go I can’t sit through the full hour and end up changing the channel. I also noticed that Emily Proctor’s lips are awful. She must be pumping them with collagen and they are terrible. I used to love her so much in The West Wing, but now she speaks in a very unnatural way, which affects her performance in a bad, bad way (I guess the new lips are hard to handle?)… Sigh! I’m very glad for CSI:NY it’s my favorite too. The original hasn’t been the same since Petersen left, but it’s still watchable.

34. Rosedmond says:

Enjoyed both CM:SB and CSI:NY. Happy to see that at least one of them survived. Bummed about the William Shatner comedy. It was starting to grow on me.

35. Marc says:

I understand the Suspect Behavior decision, but I have to say that I enjoyed the plots that deviated from the serial-killer-of-the-week CM formula, like the school bomber episode. Sure, they do serial killers well, and those cases readily feature the BAU in the lead, but it is nice to see the profilers work other types of cases.

36. Bob says:

Great for CSI:NY. Now if they can only get Melina Kan…Kanak…oh, long-Greek-last-name back.

37. CJ says:

Forest Whitaker was wasted in CM:SB. I’ve loved his work in other projects, but the character here was just not interesting. I love the original CM – and am desperately waiting to hear that Gibson has signed a new contract – but I didn’t even like the SB characters in the pilot ep. I only lasted 2 episodes when it became its own series.

38. lolo says:

IM SO HAPPY :D YAY FOR CSI:NY !!!!

39. Jo says:

Yes CSI NY! They deserved this season, Sela is growing on me and it makes my Friday Evening.

I watched CMSB for a few episodes, but it never really clicked with me. Not like CM, where the episodes are gripping but also showing real team bonding. Now, just need Paget back, and I will be happy.

40. Julian says:

Yay for CSI: NY returning. I actually got scared when I read on wikipedia that they cancelled the show. And then I double checked on here and was pleasantly surprised.

Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior was ok. I would have thought that CBS would have given it a second season to hit its stride. It took NCIS: Los Angeles the whole first season to get its stride going, but Criminal Minds: SB was sort of handcuffed by just having 13 episodes to try and whoo the audience. But since they are going to cancel it, they should move CSI: NY back to its original slot. It was better on Wednesday nights than on Friday nights.

• Max says:

Wiki can be amended to anyone who has an account. So it could be that someone jumped the gun. I like Wiki, but may not be the best place for some kind of information because anyone with an account can amended/change an entry.

41. Gary says:

CSI: has always been the lamest of the bunch, I am still suprised it is running. But to not give CMSB at least a second season to gain a better following….its all about the benjamins.

42. Dee says:

You had your scorecard for the end of this season. Here is mine for next: ABC 1 NBC 1 CBS 2 Fox 1 CW 1. The rest of the time, I’ll be watching cable.

43. shannon says:

Glad for CSI NY…what about Blue Bloods? I love that show!!

44. Jenn says:

I Jeanine, and a few of the others, but Whitaker just didn’t do it for me. CSI:NY is my fave, glad it’s back. Never watch any others listed.

45. jake says:

Please help us save mad love — the cbs comedy on mondays

Please get the message out and like this https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Mad-Love/186490654731728?sk#!/pages/Save-Mad-Love/186490654731728
    also twitter at cbstweet

let’s show cbs how much we love this show! Help us with ideas on how to save this show!

46. Robin says:

Ah! YES YES YES! Thank you CBS for renewing CSI:NY! I am thrilled with this news! It has totally made my day! :)

47. Robert says:

I agree that the spin off of Criminal Minds wasn’t as good as the first, but I still liked it and it was a pretty good show and did good in the ratings!!!! CBS really knows how to piss people off during may sweeps!

48. Karlisle says:

This really needed to be turned around. Keep CM:SB lose CSI:NY it’sa long enough run, i think it is time for it to go!

49. mattie says:

Glad CMSB was cancelled. CBS needs to re-sign Thomas Gibson as soon as possible. He’s the heart and soul of Criminal Minds. And bring back Paget Brewster and let Rachel Nichols go. The Seaver character is such a drag on the series.

CMSB’s existence hurt the original cast. Re-sign Thomas Gibson and give him whatever he’s asking for. He’s earned it and deserves it.

50. BrianR says:

So glad the a great American like Gary Sinise gets to keep working while the traitor Garofalo is FIRED!.

Also CSI Miami is getting ridiculous. This is the third time Natalia has been kidnapped this season. she needs to quit and get another job.

• Jem says:

The only reason Natalia got so much screentime this season (in all likelihood) is because their usual go to girl for being in dangerous situations (Calleigh) wasn’t available for those kinds of scenes since the actress was pregnant for most of the filming of the season.

• joe says:

To bad some people can’t divorce their politics from just commenting on a TV program but oh well…hated the way SB ended..who got shot, the suspect or the agent??