American Idol: What Should Haley, Lauren, and Scotty Sing for Top 3 Week?

I’m not sure how many shopping days till Christmas, but there are only nine days remaining before American Idol‘s season 10 champ inherits Lee DeWyze’s sash and crown. In the interim, though, we’ve got Top 3 Week, during which Haley Reinhart, Lauren Alaina, and Scotty McCreery will tackle a trio of songs: one selected by the judges, one selected by in-house mentor Jimmy Iovine, and one individual choice. According to media reports from the Idol contestants’ hometown visits, the judges chose Alanis Morissette’s “You Oughta Know” for Haley, Lee Ann Womack’s “I Hope You Dance” for Lauren, and Kenny Rogers’ “She Believes in Me” for Scotty.

Below, you’ll find the songs I’d have selected for our three remaining vocalists. Ch-ch-check my fantasy set list, then hit the comments to post your own picks!

Haley Reinhart: Led Zeppelin’s “D’yer Maker” or Sophie B. Hawkins’ “Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover” or Sinead O’Connor’s “Nothing Compares 2 U

Lauren Alaina: Guns N’ Roses’ “November Rain” or Cher’s “Just Like Jesse James” or Natalie Imbruglia’s “Torn the Bangles’ “Eternal Flame”

Scotty McCreery: Tracy Chapman’s “Fast Car” or George Michael’s “Kissing a Fool” or Dionne Farris’ “I Know

Okay, your turn! Post your dream song picks for Top 3 week below, and do follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. ladyhelix says:

Lauren is singing the “Nuts of Wonder” song? How funny

2. Jason S. says:

Sorry Slezak but TOrn was originally done by Ednaswap not Natalie Imbruglia.

• Jason S. says:

Slezak if you want to see the original version of Torn it is here. I wouldn’t mind Haley taking the song back from the happy pop version Natalie Imbruglia did and making it a soul ripping blues number again. Speaking of which Haley needs to do the slow Grammy version of You Oughta Know or she will be called Karoke.

• bluedevil says:

i loved the original version. with not so many people familiar with that arrangement, it would be perfect to get that “heartless” moment

3. Bob says:

Dyer Maker is a great choice for Haley. Best Zeppelin song ever. “You oughta know” sucks. Hasn’t aged well, and no one wants to be reminded how over-played it once was. Your choices are much better than the judges.

• the real wendy says:

Would love to see Haley and James do Paradise by the Dashboard Light on the finale show.

• Tusk says:

Led Zeppelin would be a heck of a FU to all those “rockers” who blame Haley for James being voted off instead of his ego and lack of critical observations from the judges (The latter largely being responsible for the former.

Haley has already done a LZ song, “What Is And What Should Never Be”, with her small 5 piece cover band at a party, pre-Idol.

The last week has been infuriating reading all the undeserved, she’s selfish, a bitch ….talk from supposed James’ rock fans. I know James’ aspergers may be contributing to his outward remarks/appearance, but his followers are insufferable.

Add to that James’ apparent post elimination ego growth, I have lost more and more respect for the dude. Now there are reports that James is now going after Adam Lambert for supporting Haley. (Is he going to go after Kelly, Melinda, Blake etc and many of the past Idol’s pulling for Haley too? Doubt it, Adam is too easy, and divisive target. There are more willing to go into attack mode when it comes to Adam than any other past Idol.

What Adam has said, taken in the context of relevance in the musical world, has a lot of truth to it, and any wise person would take that information and use it. Adam probably has had more than his share of bias as he is very open about who he is. It was never used as a tool of sympathy. As James should be commended for overcoming Tourettes and Aspergers to do as well as he has, those conditions have been turned into a reason we cannot critical statements about his SINGING performance. If he wants to grow in this industry, he needs to understand that

If he took the time to soak in all the opportunities, Idol has supplied, as Haley and Casey (real musical artists), he would be a better performer for it. His ego will close more doors than open them. Again, poor guy has no one he trusts to give him the reality check he so needs (Randy/JLO I’m looking right at you!!)

Instead he appears to be letting that ego run hog wild. I used to like him but it gets more and more difficult.

• Tusk says:

I forgot to add, all the Haley hate, instead of Scotty (who would have been James’ main rival if he got to top 3), is not surprising.

Rock and Roll, as much as I enjoy it has that misogynistic, bent to a lot of it, so was easy for many of James’ fans to blame the woman who has already been beat down in front of millions. Even worse are the James’ female fans who participate in the continual verbal attack and appear to be especially hurtful.

4. Bobby says:

*impatiently waits for Idoloonies*

5. Jessica says:

“She believes in me” for Scotty-that is horrible! I was really hoping Steven Tyler would pick “Fever” Garth Brooks version. Pimp up his song and get Scotty more upbeat. Sorry Haley needs to stay away from Sinead. She will destroy that song. “I wish I was your lover” is more her style.

• Tuzo says:

If Haley were to do any Sinead song I would say Troy is the one to do.

Although it wouldn’t do well compressed to 2 minutes since it needs time to build.

• HUngryHyrax says:

yeah I agree, while NC2U is awesome, it seems like a pretty odd choice for Haley it seems like it’s aimed a different sort of voice entirely IMO

6. april-ann says:

Now that James is gone, I couldn’t care less what they sing.

• SpyKi says:

Same, we already know it’s gonna be way better than anything he would’ve done.

• Jason S. says:

Then why are you reading this article. Fact is you do care otherwise you’d be on youtube listening to the guy who can’t sing on key nearly as well as the other three. The third rate Adam Lambert who couldn’t even impress his idol let alone America. This year’s Gokey!

7. amie says:

Wow Slezak! This is the first time I disagree and I’m not even a Lauren fan but TORN? You want a 16 year old girl to sing about lying naked on the floor?

• rochelle says:

Lol you have a point. Perhaps not the best lyrics for her

• Michael Slezak says:

Oh God, good point!

• Mark says:

It’s a great point and nice edit Michael, but… How is it exactly supposed to be appropriate for Haley to sing the filthy lines in “You Oughtta Know”? I realize there’s a somewhat sanitized version, but I still don’t get this at all.

• Kathy says:

I thought the same thing…how can they make Haley sing such an over-sexualized song…with the “are you perverted like me” and other inappropriate lyrics in front of a family audience. Haley’s not much past teenage herself. I was disappointed in the song when I checked it out on youtube.

• Kevin C. says:

Not to mention Scotty singing about undressing himself to go lie next to his girl. Maybe it’ll be sanitizing all around tomorrow?

• Tuzo says:

Eternal Flame — much more age appropriate.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Don’t feel badly, Slezak. Last week Lauren sang a song about smoking a cigarette, hiding behind a door, and blowing her abusive man away with a shotgun.

• Steph says:

“Would she go down with you to the theater” ;)

• HungryHyrax says:

yeah it doesn’t seem like something she could connect to at all and vocally I could almost imagine it better for Haley if either of them

8. Ablo says:

Why doesn’t Idol have it’s own select button on the front page anymore?

• BumbledBee says:

I was thining the EXACT thing. I only come here to read Michael Slezak, so I would appreciate a quick way to find him!

• Rick says:

If you Google “Tvline” there is still an Idol link.

• HgryHyrax says:

If you have google auto-start on all you do is enter “slez” and before you even type the next letter this part of the site is already first entry on google :)

9. Evan says:

Scotty: “Fast Car”. Gigglesnort. Trying to sabotage someone, Slezak? (Like Jimmy et al will do to Haley tomorrow, that is?)

I would love to hear Haley’s version of “Nothing Compares 2 U.” Man, that’d be exciting!

• Cathy says:

Good thing for Scotty “Slezak’s Picks” aren’t one of the requirements.

• Delirious says:

Well, personally, I think Dionne Farris’ “I Know” is just a GENIUS choice. I was absolutely not expecting that.
        (And on a sidenote, November Rain for Lauren, even tho I love the song, I think it would be her demise – I doubt she’d connect to that at all, I’m even wondering if she’d actually understand the lyrics, and she’d go back to singing completely empty of emotion and lack of empathy/connection/whatever)

• maj says:

I LOVE Fast Car – I think it could be interesting if he did something a little creative with it.

I’m very excited to hear Haley sing Alanis.

10. rochelle says:

Oh lol at Scotty’s suggestions. Like he’ll ever sing anything by a non country artist. Good ones for Haley though

11. David says:

I honestly don’t think that I cared any less going into the finals that I have the last 4 years or so. Idol has become so sad.

12. N says:

My Suggestions:
    Haley – Dream A Little Dream By The Mamas & The Papas
    Strong Enought By Sheryl Crow
    Time After Time By Cyndi Lauper

Scotty – Drive By The Cars
    You Got To Hide Your Love Away By The Beatles
    Slow Dancing In A Burning Room By John Mayer

Lauren – Landlisde By Fleetwood Mac
    Love Song By Sara Bareilles

13. Mike says:

“Nothing Compares 2 U” is an exquisite idea for Haley. How ’bout “There Goes the Neighborhood” by Sheryl Crow?

14. Aaron says:

“Torn” is one of my favorite songs by one of the most criminally overlooked artists of the ’90s–Natalie Imbruglia–but good god if Lauren can’t scrounge up the nerve to sing “I’m evil” how in the hell would she be able to sing “lying naked on the floor”??? The conservative crowd would be appalled!

15. Angela says:

I think some early U2 would be good for Haley. Something like “Sunday, Bloody Sunday”, “40”, “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”, “Where The Streets Have No Name”.

16. Jonathan says:

Dyer Maker for Haley is a great choice. None of those for Lauren and especially Scotty would be good choices….they would be great for Haley if you wanted them to both be eliminated in one night because they would be bad. I am thinking Ring of Fire of Scotty…Lauren maybe some Aerosmith or Cranberries?

17. Jamie says:

“Nothing Compares To You” would be awesome done by Haley. And there wouldn’t be the creepiness of Sinead. Bonus!

• CandaceTX says:

10 bucks says that the Judges and Jimmy DO NOT select ANY song that will challenge either Scotty or Lauren.

Then they will make some lame-azz choices for Hailey, dump on her performance, and then say “well, it was hard because we have no idea who you are as an artist…. stay tuned.

18. Kirby says:

I would love to hear Haley sing either Blues in the Night or The Man That Got Away (Judy Garland), Lauren to sing Wide Open Spaces or Traveling Soldier (Dixie Chicks), and for Scotty to take a risk and maybe sing something by Miranda Lambert, like Airstream Song.

19. Bee says:

Haley: ” Sinner Man” by Nina Simone

Lauren: “Silver Dagger” by Dolly Parton

Scotty: “Ring of Fire” by Johnny Cash

20. Mysterion says:

Haley – “Light My Fire” The Doors

Scotty – “Everywhere Man” Johnny Cash

Lauren – “She’s in Love with the Boy” Trisha Yearwood

All 3 would kill

21. Jamie says:

I wish Haley would cover something from Anita Baker. Anything from her “Rapture” album would be awesome.

22. ali427 says:

Didn’t they make Crystal sing that same Alanis song last year? There are so many great songs out there–why can’t they be more innovative?? Personally, I’m dying for Haley to sing “Son of a Preacher Man.”

• Jason S. says:

I may be wrong but didn’t Crystal pick “Hand In My Pocket” in the semifinals. I don’t believe she did “You Oughta Know”

• Katie says:

No, it was definitely “You Oughta Know,” and Crystal sang it with Alanis. They changed the lyrics (going down to the theater instead of the original lyric, for example).

• Tom K says:

Alanis is actually very original and innovative for Idol – we rarely hear any of her stuff on the show.

The Crystal performance was part of the Final 2 Results show, and was meant more to introduce that Alanis was there then it was to be any kind of Idol moment to be rated on. So I don’t see this as a big deal, personally.

Crystal did do “Hand in my Pocket” during Top 24, I believe.

23. Lee says:

Does anyone really believe that anyone is going to ask Scott, after all these weeks, to move out of his comfort zone? Please…

• ladyhelix says:

You are so right – which is hopefully why he’ll get UPSET by someone singing out of their comfort zone.

24. JamRock says:

I don’t have any suggestions, I am just looking to see how much the Idol Machine is going screw Haley. They get to choose TWO of three songs for her? This is going to ugly….

• Katie says:

How about the viral “sensation” “Friday,” made infamous by Rebecca Black? The Idol Machine couldn’t do any better to sabotage Haley than that, I would imagine.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Oh, there have been several “bad” suggestions – MacArthur Park, Inna Godda Davida (sp?), Muskrat Love, Dominque (by The Singing Nun), and anything by KC and the Sunshine Band!

25. brandy says:

Haley must do “Come Together” (Beatles) !

Lauren would be great with “Taking Chances” (Celine / Kara) or “Back to December” (Taylor Swift)

Everything Scotty ever sings sounds the same to me, so I just expect more of the same. It’s inevitable he’ll win anyways.

26. jennab says:

Scotty: Freedom Isn’t Free, Team America soundtrack (ha!); seriously, though, even though it’s over-played, “Trouble” by Ray Lamontagne or “Shelter”
    Haley: “Every Little Bit” Patty Griffin (anything from “Living With Ghosts,” really)
    Lauren: “Let Him Fly” Patty Griffin (take a page from the Dixie Chicks song book…they’ve covered several great Griffin tunes)

27. lauren says:

Haley: Somebody to Love – the jefferson airplane version, not the overdone queen version.
    Bring It on Home to Me – Sam Cooke

Lauren: Hold On – Neko Case
    Little Sparrow – Dolly Parton (unless people are going to call blasphemy on me after david cook’s version…)

Scotty: I Got Friends in Low Places – Garth Brooks TBH i just love this song and it’s campy as hell and sue me I want to hear it. “Thunder Rolls” would by my other Garth suggestion.
    I’m at a loss for another Scotty suggestion sorry.

• Tracy says:

Yay Garth! I’m so with you. (See comment below. Ha ha). I think Scotty could do something with his songs. And he’s about the only country singer he hasn’t tackled yet!

• loopdeloo says:

Haley would do great with somebody to love, here’s a clip of her singing it pre-idol with her band:

• darcy's evil twin says:

Lauren – nothing wrong with Garth Brooks – the guy is a superstar. I commented elsewhere here that I love “The Red Strokes” and I think that would actually be good song for Haley.

• Jessica says:

I was actually thinking “The Red Strokes” for Scotty especially when he mentioned the piano.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I think when Scotty was talking to his sister about playing the piano it was toungue in cheek – when he asked her if he should play the piano he commented, “that month of piano lessons really paid off”, or something like that.

28. Tracy says:

Would love to hear Haley sing Feeling Good by Nina Simone

And I’d love to see Scotty do Friends in Low Places if he could avoid being too campy/smarmy.

Don’t really have an opinion about Lauren. Meh.

• Katie says:

I don’t see any way Scotty could possibly avoid being too campy/smarmy. No matter what song he does, he’ll camp/smarm it up as much as humanly possible, with plenty of eyebrow gymnastics.

• Volcfom says:

“Feeling Good” is the Idol song of death. So many people got eliminated for singing it. Hell, even Lambert landed in the bottom with that one!

29. Teresa says:

Would love to hear Haley sing another Blondie song, but this time, One Way or Another – her growly voice is perfect for it.

30. David says:

While we’re thinking Led Zeppelin, let’s just have Scotty sing “Trampled Under Foot” and watch his head explode :-)

31. larie says:

I really like the idea of Lauren singing Jesse James. She could sound great on that song. And Scotty, please show us that you can sing a non-country song in your own way.

• Floridajeff says:

Lol, I love this song, but saw concert footage of Cher doing it, and she said she hates it because it HAS SO MANY WORDS! If Lauren gets out of breath easily, might not be the best choice. Can’t wait to see what Haley does, it will be great no doubt!

32. maria says:

Don’t care what they sung since I won’t be voting for any of them or watching it now!!

33. Mary says:

I thought Scotty sounded great on “Viva La Vida” so I would love to hear him tackle something like that on his own. Johnny Cash would be nice, too. He could even do Cash’s cover of “One” – not my favorite, but a good choice for Idol.

Hate, hate, hate the judges’ choice for him. If I had more trust in their competence, I would call that busing, especially paired with the “nuts of wonder” reminder. It’s just more fuel for the “he sounds the same in every performance” (which I disagree with, but won’t be able to defend with this song).

34. Michelle R. says:

Scotty can help Lauren with the lyrics. Ha! (I make my own fun.)

35. brandy says:

“Try a Little Tenderness” by Haley would be perfection. Please, oh please.

• Corinne says:

That’s freaking brilliant. She could break it down Otis Redding style on the “Squeeze her! tease!” Dude, I’m excited just imagining it!

36. Lo says:

Haley should sing either My Immortal (Evanescence), Don’t Get Around Much Anymore (Ella Fitzgerald), You Were Meant for Me (Jewel) or To Be With You (Mr. Big).

37. thelstrikeman says:

Wow Sinead O’Connor for Haley is an excellent idea!! She would rock that song! She could also do Zombie from The Corrs (the Jay Brannan’s version)
    For the other two I couldn’t care less what they’ll sing. I find them excruciatingly boring…

38. Country Fan says:

I would love to see Scotty sing:

“The Dance” or “I Do”

39. Volcfom says:

I know it was only a fake suggestion, but I really hope no one does “Torn”. It’s my audition song for this summer! If someone does it, I’ll just look like a silly copycat.

40. Mike says:

November Rain is like a 9 minute song. No way it can be edited down.

41. Poppy says:

Would never happen but Haley – Samson & Delilah. Shirley Manson version

42. SajiNoKami says:

Haley: Emotional Fire [Cher], Missionary Man [Eurythmics], Collide [Howie Day]

Lauren: Stronger [Britney], Heaven Is A Place On Earth [Belinda Carlisle], stand back [Stevie Nicks]

Scotty: Born this Way (Country Version) [Lady Gaga], What if [Safetysuit], Life is Beautiful [Six AM], Shadow Of The Day [Linkin Park]

43. workshard4themoney says:

I don’t have any dream songs since I’m not gaga over any of this season’s singers, BUT I do think the judges gave them boring choices which don’t appear to be challenging. Why not give them something totally 360 degrees away from their comfort zone? For instance:

Lauren should sing: Get the Party Started by Pink
    Scotty should sing: Teenaged Wasteland by The Who
    Haley should sing: Hit Me With Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar.

44. Jim Richardson says:

I would like to see Lauren try a Taylor Swift song, has swift given permission for anyone to use her songs, have never heard one yet.

• suziewoozie says:

I agree completely! Lauren needs to sing a ‘young’ country song. Any of Taylor Swift’s songs would do, but I think Our Song would be a good choice for Lauren.

45. Annoula says:

Fiona Apple’s “Criminal” came on the radio the other day, and I thought it’d perfect for Haley.

46. donna says:

Dyer maker? Haley should sing Stairway to Heaven if she’s going to do Led Zep. Unfortunately it absolutely can’t be condensed into 90 seconds. Other than that I don’t care what the others sing. It’s not going to be any fun without James. He was at least entertaining.

47. Karrah says:

Ahhhh Slezak “Fast Car” is like my favorite song in the world. It will never happen but I like your style.

48. agrimesy says:

Lauren ~~ Jolene (Dolly Parton) or Fancy (Reba McEntire)
    Scotty ~~ I Love a Rainy Night (Eddie Rabbitt)or The Most Beautiful Girl in the World (Charlie Rich)
    Haley ~~ Ring the Living Bell (Melanie) or Criminal (Fiona Apple)
    I’d also like to hear Haley sing KT Tunstall, Duffy, Sara Bareilles, . . . the list goes on and on. Haley is so contemporary, she can sing anything. She will get 100% of my votes Wednesday.

• idolidol says:

I agree about the votes, agrimesy

Tommorrow nigth we must all vote vote vote for Haley!!!

Let’s surprise the odds makers, the media and the producers of Idol

Let the people over throw the television Powers That Be

Haley will be a grass roots win

• darcy's evil twin says:

agrimesy -again, out of my head. I also suggested “Fancy” for Lauren.

49. haley rocks says: