Fall TV Preview

Fall Preview: Check Out Charlie's Angels, Once Upon a Time, and 9 Other New ABC Shows

What do you get when you cross iconic fairy tale figures with a pair of cross-dressing men? How about a mysterious Amazon monster with a trio of Angels? Or even a bitch in a New York walk-up and a team of ’60s flight attendants? Why, that motley crew is at the center of ABC’s colorful 2011-12 TV season lineup.

Here are sneak peeks at 11 of ABC’s new shows. Take them in and then hit the comments with your snappy judgments! (Note: There is currently no preview available for Missing.)

ABC’s Fall Schedule Revealed: Cougar Town Corked Until Winter, Angels Lands on Thursday

Charlie’s Angels, starring Minka Kelly, Rachael Taylor, Annie Ilonzeh, Ramon Rodriguez (Thursdays at 8 pm)

Last Man Standing, starring Tim Allen, Nancy Travis, Hector Elizondo (Tuesdays at 8 pm)

Man Up, starring Chris Moynihan, Henry Simmons, Teri Polo, Amanda Detmer (Tuesdays at 8:30 pm)

Once Upon a Time, starring Jennifer Morrison, Ginnifer Goodwin, Lana Parrilla, Robert Carlyle (Sundays at 8 pm)

Pan Am, starring Christina Ricci, Michael Mosley, Kelli Garner, Jonah Lotan (Sundays at 10 pm)

Revenge, starring Emily Van Camp, Connor Paolo, Nick Wechsler, Josh Bowman (Wednesdays at 10 pm)

Suburgatory, starring Jeremy Sisto, Jane Levy, Alan Tudyk, Cheryl Hines (Wednesdays at 8:30 pm)

Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

AND PREMIERING MIDSEASON:

Apartment 23, starring Dreama Walker, Krysten Ritter, James Van Der Beek (Tuesdays)

Good Christian Belles, starring Leslie Bibb, Kristin Chenoweth, David James Elliott

The River, starring Bruce Greenwood, Leslie Hope, Eloise Mumford

Scandal, starring Kerry Washington, Henry Ian Cusick, Tony Goldwyn, Columbus Short

Work It, starring Amaury Nolasco, Ben Koldyke, Rebecca Mader

Comments (67)

• I’m very excited for Once Upon A Time. I like the storyline and the cast is great!

Comment by Sally – May 17, 2011 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly;)

Comment by Justine – May 17, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i have no idea what some of this shows are about.

Comment by ale – May 17, 2011 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Neither do I. With the promos NBC and Fox put out I at least had a clue what the shows were about, ABC I have no clue.

Comment by Christina – May 17, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • my thoughts exactly. Fox definitely did it best by having actual trailers

Comment by jenna – May 17, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ABC has put trailers up on their website for their new shows that are much better than these out of context clips.

Comment by EdTV – May 19, 2011 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Luckily, I had read the “Fall TV Preview” article before watching this, because I agree with you – I only remembered the plot for a couple them. I wish they had done some kind of trailer/promo thing, instead of just grabbing 2 minutes of each show with absolutely no setup. Or that miss Masters had added a 1-phrase summary on each vid.

That said, what’s up with the SFX in Once Upon A Time? The Queen(?) walking up to the center of the hall, she looks like she’s sliding/floating over it? And the backdrop seems like a bad chroma job. I’m actually afraid of what could happen with bigger effects, like magic stuff or whatever, I really hope that’s some early test work, or whatever… :S

Comment by Delirious – May 17, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree.

Instead of giving a short summary of the main plot and characters, we got random scenes taken out of context. Doesn’t really make me want to watch any of those shows…

Comment by nicky – May 18, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprised ABC couldn’t do any better. The comedies look awful, apart from Apartment 23. I really can’t believe Work It even got picked up.

Pan Am looks a little boring from that clip, but I think its the best show from this bunch of clips. The River doesn’t look too bad.

Where’s the clip of Good Christian Belles?!

Comment by Joshua – May 17, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed! How Work it and Suburgatory got picked up I have no idea

Comment by jenna – May 17, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This blows. Where are the previews/trailers?

Comment by Jack – May 17, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So far Fox seems to be the only network smart enough to release actual trailers for their shows. The clips I’ve seen so far from ABC and NBC are falling flat for me because they don’t give good representation for the series overall. I remember last years up-fronts doing a better job.

Comment by EdTV – May 17, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They got rid of Brothers and Sisters for this CRAP!!! I will not be watching.

Comment by Rachel – May 17, 2011 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know Pan Am looks SOO Boring…and that is the one that takes the time slot for B&S. right? just ridiculous!

Comment by Robin – May 17, 2011 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously? ALL of these shows look awful! I don’t even need a full trailer to know that all of them are going to fail. Brothers & Sisters was great at one time, but it wasn’t good anymore, I just with they could have concluded all the stories.

Comment by Taylor Geary – May 17, 2011 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Suburgatory. Seriously? THAT got a fall slot over Cougar Town?

Comment by Dave – May 17, 2011 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The River looks like they took the Hatch and Smoke Monster aspects of Lost and added bleeped out swearing and shaky camera work.

Comment by Tara – May 17, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where did my “Work It is a ripoff of Bosom Buddies” comment go?

Comment by Amy – May 17, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THANK YOU TV Line for all of the clips !
    It’s nice to SEE what’s coming in the Fall.
    I’m looking forward to…
    Once Upon a Time and Pan Am
    Charlie’s Angels looks kinda iffy.

Comment by Laurel – May 17, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suburgatory trailer doesn’t look that good, but I’ll watch it just because it has Alan Tudyk (firefly), love that guy.

Comment by AJ – May 17, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A tagline for each video would be so much appreciated!…

Comment by MissM13 – May 17, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlies angles is going to be the first casualty followed by panam and Man up. I look forward to Apt 23, Once upon a timeand scandal (anything with henry ian cusack!)

Comment by Elizabeth – May 17, 2011 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon a time !!!!

Comment by Maggie – May 17, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlie’s Angels looks good can’t wait to see Minka in action!I will defos be watching but i’ll watch any show with butt kicking women.
    Last Man Standing looks so unfunny never been a Tim Allen fan though as a child I hated Home Improvement.
    Suburgatory looks kind of funny hard to tell but will check it out.
    Revenge looks great!
    Pan Am looks kind of boring and a lot like Playboy Club please stop trying to be Mad Men networks you won’t do it right.
    Once Upon A Time looks pretty cheesy but far better than Grim IMO.
    Man Up I can’t quite tell from this clip will need to see more.
    Work It looks AWFUL!!!How did this get picked up?!?!
    Scandal looks pretty bad but Shonda Rhimes can’t really make a good show apart from Greys.
    Apartment 23 looks pretty funny Van Der Beek will be awesome!
    The River I can’t really judge from the clip.
    Maybe once trailers are released I may change my opinion but these shows sounded great on paper but haven’t quite worked out bit dissapointed getting flashbacks of NBCs schedule but it isn’t quite that bad FOX is still taking the lead and it will probabally remain that way as CBS is procedual heavy so I won’t be interested in many of their shows and The CW I’ll not be expecting much.

Comment by Elle – May 17, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlies Angels…….I would rather watch Mob Wives, which is all time low of a show….Why to they insist on milking this show. Enough already.
    I am not disappointed that Cougar Town is on hiatus. Cant stand to see Courtney Cox all botoxed….disgusting show.

Comment by todd – May 17, 2011 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most of these show look terrible!

Comment by kc – May 17, 2011 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone got links for overseas viewers? Can’t even access it on youtube..arrgghh!

Comment by katy – May 17, 2011 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OK it works now, sorry!!

Comment by katy – May 17, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They cancelled Better With You for Suburgatory? Really? Charlie’s Angels looks promising as does Once Upon a Time and Revenge. Meh on the others.

Comment by raypro – May 17, 2011 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be giving CZharlie’s Angels, Revenge, and Pan Am a try. I would like to know though how did Work It get picked up, it looks like an annoying Saturday Night Live clip.

Comment by Liz – May 17, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t remember typing a Z in Charlie’s.

Comment by Liz – May 17, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A few of these look like I should check out the first episode, but not many of them. I will NOT be watching Once Upon A Time. It looks horrible, but I also don’t like Jennifer Morrison OR Ginnifer Goodwin. Pan Am looks like it could have its moments as a fish-out-of-water-type dramedy. I’ll agree with the poster above that I’ll try Suburgatory for Alan Tudyk. Apartment 23 looks like it has potential, but I’m cautious. I do not care AT ALL about Charlie’s Angels, but I might try Last Man Standing. The supporting cast looks dismal, but I tend to enjoy Tim Allen.

Comment by Kim – May 17, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Funny that. Once Upon A Time is the one I’m most interested in, followed by Suburgatory, Apartment 23, and Pan AM. The only aspect of Charlie’s Angels that has my attention is Rachel Taylor who I’ve liked ever since her brief role on the first Transformers. Minka Kelly (sp?) is a snooze of a choice though if she’s as terrible as I suspect she will be they can always kill off her character and bring in another. I don’t know the “third” angel but I’m willing to give her a chance.

Comment by Tracy – May 17, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlie’s Angels gets cancelled in less than 9 episodes. There was nothing in that clip we didn’t get to see on a show called She Spies a few years back… not even someone as pretty as Minka Kelly can save it… the rest doesn’t even deserve to be commented on…

BRING BACK ALIAS ABC!!!

Comment by luke – May 17, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I imagine the people who made “Cavemen” will be highly enthused about “Work It.” Lots of “We’re off the hook!” going around. You can’t convince me the people working on that show aren’t embarrassed to be a part of it. I suppose they’re going for the coveted “Madea”/”Big Momma’s House” demographic.

Comment by Mark – May 17, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thus far ABC has the most intriguing new lineup, followed by (who knew?) NBC. Far fewer tired, done-to-death procedurals and more originality. Encouraging. I wonder how much influence the success of AMC’s shows has had on the networks?

Comment by Tracy – May 17, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot wait for next year. Definitely will be watching Charlie’s Angels, Apartment 23, Scandal, Once Upon a Time, Revenge,and Pan Am. Once Upon a Time could either be really good, or really awful. Apartment 23 looks hilarious, what can I say – I love Dawson’s Creek, it’s literally in my dvd player right now. Scandal actually looks really good, reminds me of Body Politics which SHOULD have been picked up years ago. Pan Am reminds me of The Playboy Club, I’m intrigued. And I’ll watch Revenge because of Emily Van Camp – she is so excellent.

Comment by Courtney – May 17, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The clip for “Once Upon A Time” could not be worse. From what I’ve read about the show, it’s about fairytale characters who get stripped of their fairytale lives and are forced to live in the real world. I wish the clip had shown this.

God, ABC’s quality has gone down since “Lost” ended.

Comment by Andie – May 17, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can they leave Cougar Town on Mid Season andput this crapy comedies on the Fall. the only one i king liked was Apartment 23 and its also on mid season lol

Comment by João Amaral – May 17, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • these previews are terrible! especially compared to the ones that Fox and NBC just released. they really don’t give you any idea about what the shows are about. DUMB

Comment by crose1 – May 17, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just thinking the same thing! Although I am not usually a huge fan of FOX and NBC programming I am far more impressed by their new shows and how they chose to display their previews. Even Once Upon a Time which I was looking forward to seems stupid. Give a preview reel, not a one minute clip that gives you know idea about the shows quality.

Comment by Lash – May 17, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlie’s Angels looks GREAT! Will definitely be watching my Minka in action. Revenge, Apartment 23, Subergatory and Once Upon a Time also look good.

Comment by Kris – May 17, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nothing here screams “must see”, but I’ll probably give “Charlie’s Angels” and “Once Upon a Time” a try. “Work It” looks especially horrible.

Comment by Ashley – May 17, 2011 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only about 50% look worth investing in

Once Upon A Time seems worth a look (though probably a better miniseries)

Revenge I just didn’t get (perhaps from the teaser they sent out)

Was sorry that there was nothing released for Good Christian Belles, which actually sounds interesting.

So much here looks like retreads from years’ past, including casting Teri Polo and Nancy Travis in similar characters AGAIN!

This type of lineup makes me that much more sad that Better Off Ted was cut before last season. Maybe this new chief would have given it more of a chance, as there will certainly be a few projects here that die on the vine…

Comment by Agree With Some – May 17, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Work It” will get canceled 6 minutes after airing. Who green-lighted this project? It looks horrendous. Meanwhile, Apartment 23 looks friggin’ hilarious.

Comment by scooterbeanbag – May 17, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh. I like the NBC previews much better. I can’t see watching any of these except maybe Apt 23 and Once Upon a Time. I was so bored with all the rest.

Comment by Booth_Girl – May 17, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m pretty impressed by most of the new shows this season (ABC, NBC, FOX). very happy that they are not just doing run-of-the-mill crime procedural that has flooded the TV landscape. i’ll sample most of them for sure. i don’t know why people are already judging a show based on a clip that don’t tell much, these aren’t even trailers. i think most new shows should be given a chance, otherwise, studio will just feed us the same thing over and over again (like, um, CBS).

Comment by DB – May 17, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scandal, Work It, and Once Upon A Time make me want to poke my eyes out with hot sticks.

Comment by LA – May 17, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Man Standing waitress outfit looks a lotta bit like the Crashdown Cafe outfit from Roswell…. :)

Comment by Shannon Patrick – May 17, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pan Am looks amazing. I really wanted to like Once Upon A Time but from that clip the show looks parodied.

Comment by Sally – May 17, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to give Charlie’s Angels a chance…Pilots are always a little weird. The cast needs to see find their groove working together etc. Hopefully, they will kick ass, I am glad they didn’t make it a campy remake like the original and the movies…I like the more serious tone…sure the lines are a little lame, but I will give it a chance…That’s what’s cool about fall TV, lots of new shows. I watch the first few episodes then just watch the ones I like.

Comment by John – May 17, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, these were kind of awful. Based on what I read about Last Man Standing and Man Up, I was going to check them out. Now I won’t bother. I liked the idea of Once Upon a Time but then I saw the promo and if the acting in that is how it is in every other scene, then I won’t waste another minute.

The only ones who I liked/wanted to check out, before seeing these promos that I still want to check out are Charlie’s Angels, Revenge, and The River. The others are cancel worthy already.

Comment by Scott – May 17, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does Paolo being in Revenge mean that we won’t be seeing him on Gossip Girl anymore next season? :|

Comment by Summer – May 17, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No he’ll still make appearances. They offered him to be a series regular for the next season of Gossip Girl and he turned it down cause he likes the arrangement he has now. You’ll probably see him in the same capacity we saw him in Season 1/2, a small role in every few episodes.

Comment by Kris – May 17, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where are the full trailers? These can’t be the FULL trailers? Right?

Comment by Justin – May 17, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously? Does ABC really think anyone will watch any of these?!? These are like rejects the CW didn’t want. Sad.

Comment by Shawn – May 17, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally I think a lot of these shows will be interesting to watch. To see my full view on it go to my website http://reviews-bh.blogspot.com/

Comment by BH – May 17, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The official trailers from all the new shows are up in ABC’s YouTube channel, they look more polished than the clips posted here.

Comment by Ed – May 17, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you for this! All these shows look so much better there.

Comment by Tricia – May 18, 2011 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care how well those girls in Charlie’s Angels were trained to fight, there is no way possible that they could throw around those guys the way they did. They’re throwing around over twice their body weight? I don’t think so. That show has failure written all over it.

Comment by RickJM – May 17, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlie’s Angels looks like it might be okay. Last Man Standing with Tim Allen hopefully is good. Good to see him back on TV. Good Christian Belles has David James Elliott who hasn’t been seen really since JAG popularity. That was a long time ago!

Comment by Ben – May 17, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the problem is the videos that TVLine posted. I found much better trailers/desciptions for these shows on The Daily Beast. I don’t think this reporter did such a great job at giving good information on any of these shows. Bummer, because I really like this site, but a bit disappointed in this story.

Comment by Joan – May 17, 2011 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘Missing’ already has a clip at ABC’s website. Could you please upload it too?

Comment by Sam – May 18, 2011 01:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a tad annoyed that the first clip of Charlie’s Angels that has been released doesn’t show the whole cast in action! Minka is the one I’ll be watching it for cuz I loved her in Friday Night Lights and Parenthood. They should have released a clip showing all of the stars of the show!

Comment by Amanda – May 18, 2011 01:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not impressed with this mess of clips. At least fox had actual previews. With these 1 min snippets I can’t even tell what these are about. Ms Master – couldn’t you have taken the time to add a 3 sentence synopsis of the shows with each clip? COme on…

Comment by Stacey Charter – May 18, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uh…are these real? I mean, they look awful. Really, really bad. Once Upon a Time and Work It look like amateur hour. Wow.

Comment by NedPepper – May 19, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post