TVLine Items: Fox OKs Flintstones Reboot, Curb Nabs Family Guys, and More TV News to Know

Henceforth, Seth MacFarlane shall be known as Fox’s Prince of Animation: The Family Guy/American Dad creator has officially been granted permission to reboot The Flintstones.

MacFarlane has long wanted to bring the prehistoric fam to Fox, and was finally given the go ahead after lengthy negotiations with Warner Bros., which owns the rights to the ‘toon. A 2013 premiere is tentatively set for the series, which is said to have the same music and a very similar look to the original.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Curb Your Enthusiasm‘s Larry David may finally meet his match in Season 8 guest star Michael J. Fox. The TV vet plays a heightened version of himself in the 10th episode of the HBO comedy’s summer run, says TV Guide Magazine. “I’m being symptomatic just to annoy him — a whole passive-aggressive thing,” Fox tells the mag, referring to his public battle with Parkinson’s Disease. “[Larry's] complaining because I’m shuffling and making noise upstairs. It’s very funny.” Also popping up earlier in Curb‘s season is Fox’s Family Ties dad, Michael Gross, who’ll appear as Larry’s dermatologist.

Ed Harris (A Beautiful Mind) is getting his John McCain on this fall in HBO’s original movie, Game Change, and EW.com has your first look at the pseudo Senator here.

Saving Grace‘s Leon Rippy will guest-star on the upcoming season of TNT’s Leverage as a nemesis for Timothy Hutton’s Nate, TVGuide.com reports. Season 4 of the conman drama premieres Sunday, June 26 at 9/8c.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today? Hit the comments!

Comments (18)

• I don’t know what to think of the Flinstones’ remake. I’m glad that the song and look are supposed to be the same, but what is going to make it stand out? I love The Flinstones!

Comment by ErixN – May 16, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, i don’t know what to think of this just yet. I’m just hoping it won’t be the crude humor like in family guy etc.

Comment by jenna – May 16, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never really watched the Flintstones, but I think it’s a bad idea to remake in any way. I do watch McFarlane’s shows and like them, but picking him to remake them is probably a bad idea.

Comment by Paul – May 16, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh great…Flinstones with fart and sex jokes….

Comment by JohnDoe – May 16, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MacFarlane didnt always do crude comedy he got his start on writing on Johnny Bravo and Dexter’s Lab

Comment by ggny – May 16, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was a huge fan of The Flintstones as a kid, but from an adult perspective I can see that quite a good idea was done in by mediocre and ever-increaingly infantile scripts. A revival with vastly better scripts might possibly work. What it needs is Seth McFarlane’s brilliance and wit with a dsciplined approach. What it doesn’t need is Seth McFarlane’s worst, crude and undisciplined throw-crap-against-the-wall-and-see-what sticks approach. Please, great stories, no farts and no Great Gazoo!

Comment by Craigf – May 16, 2011 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IDIOTIC!! And they cancel Chicago Code

Comment by Boiler – May 16, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If done respectfully, this is great news as it will allow younger generations the chance to enjoy this franchise in a way that caters to them. So long as they don’t follow suit with the new Looney Tunes, though. That show is a slap in the face to the classics.

Comment by Chris_Griff_3 – May 16, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes, I hope they are respectful to the original series. That cartoon is a high mark

well, until they jumped the shark by having Pebbles, Bam-Bam AND the alien Kazoo… yikes)

Comment by CandaceTX – May 16, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yabba dabba don’t…

Comment by Buffy Freak – May 16, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yabba, dabba, do! I am so stoked to see this. I’m glad a new generation gets to enjoy it.
    Who know, maybe the Jestons will be next? What do you think?

Poll: Will Seth MacFarlane’s remake be any good?
    Link: http://www.wepolls.com/r/411774

Comment by Zadoc Paet – May 16, 2011 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know a lot of people are upset about this but do they know that McFarlane started out working on some now classic Cartoon Network shows like Johnny Bravo, Dexter’s Lab & Cow & Chicken those were kids shows, but with adult sensibilities. If he can recapture some of that i think it’s in good hands.

Comment by deedeedragons – May 16, 2011 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the Flinstones as a kid… and while I ocasionally enjoy Family Guy, or at least I have in the past, this is sort of the worst news ever. There is something great about the inocence retained in the Flinstones that MacFarlane is sure to absolutly destroy if let anywhere near the franchise.

Comment by Olli – May 16, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder how close they will come to the sound of the original voice cast. None of whom are still with us. To quote an old Family Guy, ” Now we have wrong sounding Muppets”

Comment by Gary – May 16, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved that quick little blurb! “Oh, hey Kermit.”

I think Seth McFarlane will be respectful. He wouldn’t want to be know as the guy who ruined the Flintstones.

Comment by Ali K – May 16, 2011 11:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone notice in the article when it said ” was finally given the go ahead after lengthy negotiations with Warner Bros.”

Do you really think Warner Brothers would just hand over The Flintstones with no restriction on how they are portrayed? Really?
    I think he will probably do a good job with the show.

That said, I am not sure about them remaking this just on the grounds that we are getting another remake/reboot of a TV show. We have enough of those in the live action shows we don’t really need more in the animation world too. But, I will wait till I see the new Flintstones before I pass anymore judgement.

Comment by Becca – May 17, 2011 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just a reminder – The Flintstones, in their original presentation, were supposed to be an adult animated series…you know, like Family Guy is? And I’m pretty sure I remember past interviews with Mr. MacFarlane, talking about how formative the show was for him and etc., so I am fairly confident he’ll knock this one out of the park.

Comment by heather_kaye – May 17, 2011 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so i made a riddle myself…..
    WHO AM I
    i am beloved an american movie tv star
    i have a boyish good look but unfortunatly shorter than u are
    i always look young now and tomorrow
    but my health is of an old man what a sorrow
    i stopped my acting retired for ease
    i had an illness called parkinsons disease
    i made a foundation for parkinsons disease
    finding a cure from land to seas
    my fathers name was william
    i had done a voiceover for stuart little
    in my university i earned more than a million
    in my family i was just the middle
    my hands may freeze together
    my shoulders hurt alot
    especially in the hot weather
    i may feel like a robot
    my life is optimistic
    i think of it as a biography
    i write it down as a journalistic
    while drinking some hot coffee
    my last name is an animal that rushes through the trees
    cunning as a fox in a gentle breeze
    pain is temporary film is forever
    thats my motto always and ever
    WHO AM I