Fall TV Preview

Fox's Fall Schedule: Terra Nova on Monday, Glee, Fringe Staying Put, Most Wanted 'Axed'

Fox is the latest broadcast network to unveil its official 2011-12 schedule, and the key word is stability. Save for a few minor tweaks — most notably House’s move to 9 pm on Mondays to make way for Steve Spielberg’s dinosaur epic Terra Nova — the network’s lineup remains virtually unchanged.

Buried in Fox’s announcement is the news that after 23 years, America’s Most Wanted will morph from a weekly series into quarterly specials — which is a fancy way of saying it’s been canceled. “We have not made money on the show in quite a while,” said Fox president Kevin Reilly. “It was economically getting to the place where it was not particularly viable, but we wanted to keep the franchise alive. John Walsh is having a number of conversations with [parent company News Corp. about] where that series can continue… I would not be surprised if you see the show pop up somewhere else.”

Check out the official fall and midseason rundowns below; new shows are in CAPS, click for details:

MONDAY
8/7c TERRA NOVA
9 pm House

TUESDAY
8 pm Glee
9 pm NEW GIRL
9:30 pm Raising Hope

WEDNESDAY
8-9:30 pm THE X FACTOR
9:30 pm I HATE MY TEENAGE DAUGHTER

THURSDAY
8 pm THE X FACTOR (Results Show)
9 pm Bones

FRIDAY
8 pm Kitchen Nightmares
9 pm Fringe

SATURDAY
8 pm Cops
9 pm Encores/America’s Most Wanted (Specials)

SUNDAY

9 pm NEW GIRL
9:30 pm Raising Hope

WEDNESDAY
8-9:30 pm American Idol
9:30 pm I HATE MY TEENAGE DAUGHTER

THURSDAY
8 pm American Idol (Results Show)
9 pm FINDER/Bones (Returning in Spring)

FRIDAY
8 pm Kitchen Nightmares
9 pm Fringe

SATURDAY
8 pm Cops
9 pm Encores/America’s Most Wanted (Specials)

SUNDAY
7:30 pm The Cleveland Show
8 pm The Simpsons
8:30 pm NAPOLEON DYNAMITE
9 pm Family Guy
9:30 pm  Bob’s Burgers

Watch Videos from 11 of NBC’s New Shows Here

American Idol Season 11 kicks off Sunday, Jan. 22 with special premiere following the NFC championship game. Additionally, the Kiefer Sutherland-Tim Kring drama Touch will also bow at midseason.

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: Human Target, Lie To Me, Traffic Light, The Chicago Code, The Good Guys, Breaking In and Running Wilde.

Comments (83)

• I’m so sad that Lie to Me is not coming back, It’s a great show! bah :/

Comment by John – May 16, 2011 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, Human Target wasn’t bad either. I have learned not to get attached to anything FOX runs. If it is halfway intelligent, it will get cut.

Comment by Michelle – May 16, 2011 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, I’m gonna miss it so much, I absolutely loved it and it was so clever and fun!

Comment by Valkyrje – May 16, 2011 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had just gotten into Lie to Me(i know.Im late)Tim Roth was so good…I wish they would just say this will be the last season of FRINGE.We all know it wont survive this Friday time slot and i would rather it have a full season to come to a great end..oh and good for Bones keepin its post Idol/Xfactor slot.Im sure those shows bring it new fans.(lookin forward to Finder as well)

Comment by NickC – May 16, 2011 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve got news for you: Fringe’s move to Fridays for the (last) 2010/11 season was a big factor in it’s *getting* renewed this year. Had it stayed on Thursday, where the competition was stronger, it would have been gone … but it’s comparatively strong showing on Fridays was a serious factor in its renewal.

You might well be correct that the upcoming season will be it’s last — the show is getting more complicated, and difficult for casual or new viewers — but the Friday slot is/was a plus, not a minus.

Comment by MDM – May 16, 2011 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am also very sad to see Lie to Me cancelled, it was a good show. In stead they are putting on more reality shows. garbage tv. I find it hard to get invested in any of the foxes show. There is something wrong with all the networks.

Comment by debbie – May 16, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREED!! I STILL RE-WATCH THE SEASONS ON NETFLIX ALL THE TIME! SO LAME THAT IT’S CANCELED!

Comment by CAIT – May 17, 2011 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um, Bob’s Burgers? Is it being held for midseason or what?

Comment by Sam – May 16, 2011 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so what happened to breaking in??
    and wasn’t bob’s brugers renewed?? or is it now a mid season replacement?

Comment by TP – May 16, 2011 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Breaking In was canceled:
      Not sure about Bob’s Burgers. According to Ausiello’s renewal scorecard, it was officially renewed.

Comment by GG – May 16, 2011 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, I had the link to Ausiello’s story about Breaking In on my above post. Not sure where it went. Anyway, if you go to the renewal scorecard, the link is there.

Comment by GG – May 16, 2011 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i know breaking in was candelled,,
          but there was a post that said they could return it

Comment by TP – May 16, 2011 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah, last thing TVLine reported on the subject was that Fox was talking about giving Breaking In a reprieve. Guess this is not the case anymore, Matt?

Comment by XK – May 16, 2011 09:04 AM PDT
          • When the news broke that “Breaking In” might have a second chance, it was said that the decision would not be made by today’s upfronts. If it comes back, FOX will have to find some space to squeeze it in, probably as a midseason replacement.

Comment by CMG – May 16, 2011 04:20 PM PDT
    • Bob’s Burgers was renewed, but it will return in January in American Dad’s slot. Look at the mid-season schedule below the fall schedule.

Comment by BearDogg-X – May 16, 2011 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So um what happened to The Finder and Alcatraz?

Comment by Sarah – May 16, 2011 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re under MIDSEASON SCHEDULE!!!

Comment by davey – May 16, 2011 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Breaking In, the new Bones spinoff Finder, and the new Kiefer Southerland drama? No mention of those in this article.

Comment by LayneJ – May 16, 2011 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Finder is coming mid-season during Emily’s maternity leave/Bones’ hiatus I thought

Comment by brett – May 16, 2011 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what happened to Bob’s Burgers?!!!

Comment by Pia – May 16, 2011 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • See the Spring schedule. Bob replaces Dad.

Battle of the palindromes.

Comment by Rock Golf – May 16, 2011 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House @ 9pm- thank god!

Comment by ann – May 16, 2011 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, right?! It definitely belongs in the later timeslot, though unfortunately they bump House back down to 8pm at midseason… which just seems like a weird move to change a show’s timeslot mid-season.

Comment by Volta – May 16, 2011 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That is odd. Why flip the time-slot mid-season? They either have no faith in “Alcatraz” or FOX is off its rocker. Glad they are moving House to the “adult” hour starting the season though. It’s a more appropriate fit there.

Comment by Drdiagnostic – May 16, 2011 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh come on now, not Lie to Me! That show is great!

Comment by NCSouthernBelle – May 16, 2011 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It may have been a while since I have watched primetime on FOX saturday nights, but what happen to America’s Most Wanted? Has it been canceled for a while and I didn’t realize?

Comment by kim in dallas – May 16, 2011 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, AMW has been cancelled, despite what it says here. No specials.

Comment by Chris in Oregon – May 16, 2011 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fox did that before in the 90s. Public outcry was so great, Fox brought it back. I feel this will happen again. Either that or it will be shopped around to a cable outlet. John Walsh will not let it die.

Comment by syvyn11 – May 16, 2011 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So how come I don’t see Breaking in on the list of shows that are not returning next season?

Comment by Stephane Carter – May 16, 2011 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i was wondering that too. that was the whole reason why i opened this page. i was really hoping to see Breaking In on the schedule. i love that show

Comment by jen – May 16, 2011 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How can we get Fox to reconsider its decisions about really good shows like Breaking In and The Chicago Code?

Comment by Kate – May 28, 2011 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So it’s essentially the same as the spring schedule now.

Comment by Paul – May 16, 2011 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, another reality competition show eating up 2½ hours of the schedule per week. I hope America rejects this latest iteration, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was another undeserved megahit.

Comment by TigerNightmare – May 16, 2011 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • X-Factor is an hour and half AND it gets a one hour results show the very next day. Geez Fox!

Comment by Slappy san – May 16, 2011 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Finder is on the list….its under midseason Thursdays…..it listed as 9 pm Finder/Bones (returning in spring)

Comment by Nicole – May 16, 2011 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why does Fox still air news at 10:00? If they moved the news to the same hour of 11:00 like others than there still would be Lie to Me, Human Target etc. I don’t know about others, but I read my news on the web and if something major happens, I’m turning to CNN or Fox News channel.

Comment by Tracey – May 16, 2011 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there a reason why FOX would decide to move HOUSE back to 8pm in the Spring? It’s a 9pm show, which I’m glad FOX recognized, so does this mean they have less faith in ALCATRAZ?

Other than that, I’m glad to see CLEVELAND get the 7:30 treatment. The ratings aren’t there for it or for American Dad, and if neither had Seth MacFarlane’s name on them, they would’ve both been canceled long ago. There is also no justification for RAISING HOPE’s renewal.

Comment by Ryan – May 16, 2011 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it means they have “less faith” in Alcatraz, but it’s better to launch a new show with a lead-in. Exceptions on this schedue being Terra Nova and X-Factor, which are basically assumed to already be massive hits as they’ve been gaining buzz for the past year already.

As for Raising Hope’s renewal- It was all around a BAD year for the networks as for as cancellation of new shows…I could be wrong but I believe Raising Hope was the only show from this season that they didn’t cancel. I don’t think they wanted to cancel EVERYTHING that premiered this season, and Raising Hope is generally liked by the critics.

I’m a little confused about the shuffling of Bones and Finder, but I’m sure it will all become clear eventually. Either way, it’s nice that they both have post Idol and X-Factor slots.

Comment by Alex – May 16, 2011 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bit confused about Bones/Finder! Which one is returning in Spring?

Comment by Deena – May 16, 2011 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • BONES is on in the fall, but will return in the fall. While Finder takes it’s place. Due to Emily’s pregnancy, looks like the show shuts down for a hiatus while Emily is gone… And then comes back to shoot more when she’s okay to work.

So we’re looking at a March return likely for BONES. Unless they need to fill another timeslot. Or Finder fails…

Although getting the post American Idol might help Finder…

Comment by Stacey – May 16, 2011 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oops. I meant it will return in the SPRING after airing in the fall. Due to Emily’s pregnancy most likely.

Comment by Stacey – May 16, 2011 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The line up looks great for Fox,
    Can’t Wait.

Comment by Terra Nova – May 16, 2011 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the new schedule for Raising Hope doesnt affect it for a third season… all the shows at 9 30 on tuesday have been cancelled.

Comment by Che – May 16, 2011 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So “Breaking In” definitely gone????? What a shame. It was just finding its footing and it was actually FUNNY!

Comment by Jen – May 16, 2011 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I KNOW! One of those shows that takes some time to catch on and FOX did not give it a chance to do that. SUCH A FUNNY SHOW!!! When one of the new ones fail I hope they reconsider and bring it back.

Comment by Deena – May 16, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bobs burger after Family Guy? That suck I have to wait till 9:30 to watch the show. And thank god their burning off The Cleveland show at 7:30 nobody watches that show anyway. What about Breaking In? Its not in the not returning spot but its not on the schedule.

Comment by Jeff – May 16, 2011 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, WHAT?! I’m gonna need to hear all about Napoleon Dynamite: The Series.

Comment by mawhi – May 16, 2011 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s an animated series, and all the main actors from the movie will be doing the voice work for the show.

Comment by BearDogg-X – May 16, 2011 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Breaking In cancelled then? You don’t have it on the schedule but it’s also not on the cancelled/NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON list.

Comment by SLeigher – May 16, 2011 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While FOX might give it another look, at this point “Breaking In” is still definitively canceled. The news stories about it getting another chance all agreed that any decision about the show would not be made by today.

Comment by CMG – May 16, 2011 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol, So Simon Cowell went and started his own American Idol huh? lol.

Comment by Justn White – May 16, 2011 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is Terra Nova mid-season?

Comment by Jamie – May 16, 2011 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • America’s Most Wanted helps solve crimes so I’m glad they’re keeping it around in some form.

Comment by Tavis – May 16, 2011 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hate it when House comes on late but glad its back for now! Hugh Laurie please re-sign next year!

Comment by Brynna – May 16, 2011 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot wait for Terra Nova. It is my reason for living.

Comment by Ben Kabak – May 16, 2011 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW singing competitions eat up that much broadcasting space! I so hope American rejects The X Factor and we can get more scripted TV!

Comment by Kate – May 16, 2011 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • X Factor is only on for 90 minutes a week. That’s not very much atall.

Comment by Tavis – May 16, 2011 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Their new shows don’t interest me. I want to watch X Factor but it looks like it’ll conflict with Survivor and The Vampire Diaries. Terra Nova is too high-concept and not my cup of tea. The whole conceit is them going back in time to change things, but time can’t be changed! Everything happens for a reason. I don’t like time travel shows.

I’ll be sticking to the only Fox shows I watch, The Simpsons and Glee.

Comment by Tavis – May 16, 2011 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sorry that you have no imagination. There are scientific studies about time that suggest that several time streams are happening all at once. Many studies of light also suggests this. Just because time travel is not possible now, does not mean it will not be in the future. Science fiction often becomes science fact. If all humans thought everything was impossible, we’d still live caves. People can accept vampires, but not time travel? Geez…

Comment by Catherine – May 16, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Moving “House” to 9 p.m. is a great idea: serious show with adult themes and now a chance to continue pushing the boundaries in a more appropriate timeslot with more viewers. Win-win-win all around.

Comment by Carol – May 16, 2011 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Too bad they’re not keeping it there. And if it goes like this season, it’ll switch just in time to face-off with Dancing with the Stars. Which will further hurt its numbers. The 9pm move was good because, just as everyone has been saying, its more appropriate for that time slot and will give it a bit more freedom than it has at an earlier time. House is a good show but it’s not been a good lead-in this season at all. It seems unlikely that will change next season. So I’m thinking this move will very likely not help Alcatraz much, and further hurt House. They’ll be killing two birds with one stone. Hopefully I’m wrong but I’m just going off of what I’ve seen the past couple of seasons for House.

Comment by Lara – May 16, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, I just found out it’s worse than I thought. I never watch Dancing with the Stars and was unaware that it lasted two hours instead of one. And it’s usually stronger in its second half. So basically this feels like a lose/lose situation for the show. :/

Comment by Lara – May 16, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate they are cancelling America’s Most Wanted. That show produces real world results and should be kept.

Comment by Renee – May 16, 2011 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still bitter about LTM. It should’ve been kept as a backup. At least one of its pilots will fail…

Comment by Kristen – May 16, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fox ran screenshots of wanted posters during the sports shows teh past few Saturdays, so I would guess that will continue. I don’t understand how AMW will “pop up somewhere else” if it is too costly for Fox to break even unless the new outlet is willing to take a loss on it since everywhere else but pay-cable budgets shows lower because of smaller audiences. I guess TNT and FX have some expensive shows, but I cannot see them picking it up, while outlets like Spike and TruTV would have to take a loss on it.

Comment by Marc – May 16, 2011 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe is as good as dead if they keep it in that Friday slot.

Comment by Dave – May 16, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • actually it performed quite well on friday. it even got a early pick up. i think fox is trying to turn it into the next xfiles and, hopefully, succeeding. i am looking forward to new girl. i love max greenfield from his days as deputy leo on veronica mars!

Comment by murley – May 16, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Did Fringe really do well on Friday? If this is true, then I’m glad, because I really hate it on Fridays. Sometimes I forget to watch it, then I get really pissed that I missed it. I actually wish they would put it on another day. But I try really hard to remember. I just love Walter.

Comment by ecm – May 20, 2011 12:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Breaking In?? Sad to see it’s not there. Hopefully they change that come next season.

Comment by Alex – May 16, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Raising Hope is thee funniest shows ever. Glad it is staying. It figures that they cancelled Chicago Code. I really like the show but did not care for Beales…not believable in her part at all. America’s Most Wanted was getting really kind of boring to be honest. Would like to see it come back as Specials because it does so much good for Society. I also am sad to see Traffic Light not on, really started to warm up to it and the comedy was a bit dark but really funny I thought. Such is life. Glad that they did not cancel Bob’s Burgers and they could get rid of The Cleveland Show completely in my opinion.

Comment by Loretta Smith – May 16, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is the X-Files? Where is Party of Five? Prison Break? Those are the last 3 FOX shows that I watched.

Comment by Mike – May 16, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh I forgot I do watch Glee. lol

Comment by Mike – May 16, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe is there but not much else. The Animation Domination thing is so over for me. The Simpsons and Family Guy are in syndication, I’ll catch it later. Should have kept Chicago Code it was getting good. Haven’t watched AMW regularly in years. It was getting to be too much with the over the top dramatic re-enactments. It needed a re-boot.

Comment by billk – May 16, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Human Target was the only Fox show I watched. I may or may not check out Terra Nova. Nothing else on this channel interests me.

Comment by Renee – May 16, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For me it was Chicago Code. None of the new shows listed looks interesting and why bother getting attached to a show. I guess Fox has lost at least 1 viewer. If enough people stopped watching, maybe a few good shows like Human Target and Chicago Code would get a better chance…
      BTW, I have watched Human Target and enjoyed it.
      dzzz

Comment by dzzz – May 16, 2011 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a lot of changes for the network but to see my full opinion go to http://reviews-bh.blogspot.com/

Comment by BH – May 16, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A couple of the new shows look promising- esp Terra Nova and Alcatraz. I just am so glad Fringe got renewed.

One thing I hope Fox stops is the cheesy product placement. I have noticed this with Ford cars in both Bones and Fringe lately. I understand they need to advertise – but just run a regular commercial. But don’t attempt to make it part of the show.
    Has anyone else picked up on this?

Comment by kirads09 – May 16, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the heck? Hey do you know what is happening with Huddy?

Comment by Kristen – May 16, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do not watch a lot of series TV. There are a few network shows that I really like. I was very sad to see Fox kill Chicago Code. That show was very good and getting better and the ONLY Fox show I watched.
    I know losing one viewer makes no difference to a Network BUT considering the crap they kept and the list of new shows coming .. there is nothing I will be tuning into to…
    Dzzz

Comment by dz – May 16, 2011 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tim Roth was great in Lie to Me and the show was good because it was different from anything else on tv. But to get rid of Chicago Code was the biggest mistake Fox could have made. This was one of the best cop shows I have seen in years. Why do I have the feeling that if it was on one of the big 3 networks, the show would have been a big hit.

Comment by scott – June 18, 2011 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finders/Bones in April

The Pilot of Finders did nothing for me. Who wants to see a grown man sit on a toilet nude or otherwise. Bones for me everyday of the week.

Comment by Rita – June 28, 2011 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope that amw comes back with new shows I am going to miss watching it on Saturday nights

Comment by Krista – July 8, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please return this fall with Chicago Code! It was one of the best shows on FOX.

Comment by FH – August 24, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post