Castle Finale Recap: Deadly Confessions

[The following story contains numerous spoilers from this Monday’s episode of ABC’s Castle.]

After three seasons of intrigue about the murder of Beckett’s mother (and even more torturous “Will they/Won’t they?” sexual tension between the two leads), Monday’s season finale of Castle finally offered up some confessions. With trained killer Lockwood on the loose, Beckett plunged back into her mother’s case — much to the chagrin of all the important men in her life. First, her father showed up at Castle’s door and begged him “not to let her throw her life away.” Like Captain Montgomery, he knew that Castle was the only one who could get Beckett to stand down. “She cares about you, Rick,” he told him. “And unless you’re a lot dumber than you look, I know you care about her.”

Castle let it be known just how much he cares by trying to convince Beckett to let go of the case before she got herself killed. And if not for herself, then do it for the ones who love her, like Josh. (If he loves her so much, where is he?) When Beckett asked about Castle’s own intentions, he replied, “Of course I don’t want anything to happen to you. I’m your partner. I’m your friend.”

“I don’t know what we are,” Castle continued. “We kissed and then we never talk about it. We nearly died in each other’s arms and we never talked about it. So I got no clue what we are.” Maybe he should have stopped there because after he accused Beckett of being scared and hiding in her mother’s murder like she hides in “these nowhere relationships with men you don’t love” — harsh, but true — she wanted nothing to do with him.

“You know what we are, Castle? We are over. Now get out,” she demanded.

Thankfully, Montgomery talked some sense into Beckett, revealing that he could have gotten rid of Castle at any time, but he saw “how good he was for [her]. You weren’t having any fun before he came along,” he told her.

The sweetness of the almost father/daughter-like moment was made bittersweet when Montgomery later confessed to Beckett his surprising part in her mother’s case. He was a rookie flatfoot who looked up to the dirty cops kidnapping mobsters for ransom. He believed in what they were doing. And then one day, he accidentally shot undercover FBI agent Bob Arman during the kidnapping of mobster Joe Pulgatti, who was in turn framed for Arman’s murder. It was Pulgatti’s case that Beckett’s mother was looking into.

When Beckett came into his life, Montgomery “felt the hand of God,” so he wasn’t going to let any harm come to her. He lured Beckett to the hangar to set a trap for Lockwood and his men, which meant sacrificing himself in the process. “I forgive you. You don’t have to do this,” Beckett cried as Castle dragged her away. As Montgomery lay bleeding on the ground, he told Lockwood he saw to it that “he” wouldn’t come after Beckett. Hmm, perhaps those files that Montgomery mailed were insurance?

“The best you can hope for is to find a place to make your stand. And if you’re very lucky, you find someone willing to stand with you,” Beckett said at Montgomery’s funeral, sneaking a glance at Castle. Ever observant, Castle spotted something in the distance. Before he could lunge in front of her, a sniper’s bullet hit Beckett. Cradling Kate in his arms, Castle begged her to stay with him. “I love you,” he cried — and it almost looked like she smiled at the confession before her eyes closed. So while we know Beckett will survive (come on, it’s not our first time to the TV rodeo), this is certainly a big confession that promises to shake things up for next season.

What did you think of Castle’s “I love you”? Are you sad about losing Montgomery? Were you surprised by his secret past? Who do you think is the mysterious figure he was referring to? And who do you think should be the new Captain?

1. Michael says:

No guarantees she’ll be back.

The show’s called CASTLE — not BECKETT.

2. MR says:

Practically speechless, and pretty much agree with everyone else’s various exclamations on the subject. Except that one wierdo who said they didn’t like it. I’m sorry, but what is with that?
    Also had to check to make sure there would be season 4, had me worried for a second there! Saw the montogomery treachery coming but not Kate being shot.
    Don’t think it was faked, because that’s lame, and Castle was at the meeting of four and would have known, and laney too I think – esposito genuinely wanted her to stay down, and if it was fake wouldn’t they want laney in there right away since she can be trusted and is in the way of being a doctor? She would be valuable as a cover-up. But a fake shooting really makes no sense anyway, because no one but good guys would believe it. Also think the amnesia thing sounds wrong, I don’t think they’ll get together but I think they’ll deal with the comment.
    Their timing in the ‘relationship’ has always been crazy.
    And montgomery dying was useful, he took down a bunch of bad guys, and he went with some honour, came clean to Kate, mailed his insurance, and protected his family – with the reputation being preserved this way, it was the only way it could go down – why would anyone think that didn’t do anything?

3. Kate says:

I love Castle, and I love tvline.com for their coverage of the finale. Nice work! Who didn’t swoon when Castle finally told her he loved her?! Great job by everyone involved.

4. Alicia says:

OMG!!! I don’t think my heart has stopped pounding since I watched it! I’m watching it again! It was amazing!

5. Alicia says:

I also think the person ordering around Lockwood is the Police Commissioner or someone they can’t touch!

6. Stephanie says:

Holy Crap! This finale was IN-SANE!!! And oh so AWESOME! My heart was in my throat throughout the entire episode for one reason or another. And those last 5 minutes? OMG! God only knows how I’ll ever make it through the next 4 months…

7. Christa says:

Great!! My thoughts:
    1. Wearing body armor but some got through but she will be ok
    2. Did not see the capt being part of the bad guys
    3. I think the main bad guy will be the mayor!

8. Imzayde says:

The predicable became the unpredictable with Kate being shot; but by who? I like Castle’s mom, we need more of her in the story.

9. Ginah says:

I loved the finally! I was so shocked at the ending and it was so emotional. Loved it–absolutely fantastic and gripping.

10. dlferriola says:

What a great episode and very surprising ending. I thought the captain was going to get killed but not because he was involved with Becketts moms death. He redeemed himself in the end but what a twist in the storyline of Becketts mom. So glad Castle told her he loved her and they made it look like she was killed but I know that cannot be true. Now I am guessing the captain mailed that paperwork telling all to Castle. Now that was a great setup for next season. Excellent episode, I have watched it twice already to see what I missed the first time. Thank goodness for dvrs.

11. Kate says:

OMG I love this show! I’m really sad that the Captain is gone and will miss him. A huge part of the magic of this show is how all of the characters interact with each other. I’ll miss him next year, but trust the writers have a good plan. I really think there isn’t a better show on right now, and this finale just cemented that opinion for me. Thank God ABC gave this show a chance even though it didn’t always have good ratings at the beginning.

12. NoOneInParticular says:

Oh, my word! That was INTENSE!!! So, yeah, I have a thing for those emotionally-intense “Castle” episodes, but I like when they’re punctuated by occasional humor. This episode didn’t seem to have much. Not that I’m complaining. I was undergoing a Heroic Blue Screen of Death for like ten minutes after it ended. Montgomery’s being involved in “dirty business” upset me more than his death, because I loved and idolized him. And then, bam! Beckett gets shot! And Castle confesses his love, FINALLY!! My mom reckons she was wearing a bullet-proof vest or something. Poor Castle . . . I actually think it might have been more interesting if Castle had jumped in the way and got the bullet instead. I mean, not that I want him to die. You can’t have “Castle” with out Castle! But you can’t have it without Beckett either. I’m now super-stoked for season four. There better be one. Never thought I’d say this, but . . . “Is it September yet?”

13. Michelle says:

My mom and I were joking throughout the episode that the third cop was Montgomery, but didn’t expect to be right. Sad, but awesome twist. I think the other mysterious guy might be the mayor. And I don’t think Beckett will remember Castle’s confession next season, or will at least pretend not to.

I think the new captain has to be a new character. It should be Catherine Tate, obviously. ;-)

14. averageirishjoe says:

Just my opinion, but thought finale was EXCELLENT! just fantastic. Now have just a few thoughts and questions to throw out. First, who will be the new captain? and whoever is the new captain, will the group trust him/her? I ask only because it sounded like montgomery got the promotion to captain to keep a leash on beckett, and like ryan told esposito “guy has too much juice to be a cop” so maybe whoever the main baddie is, he could have the power to appoint a new captain? if beckett was really shot and it wasn’t faked, are they gonna use this to bring josh(who is a doctor) back and play the whole “he saved becketts life and nursed her back” deal? and i can’t help but wonder if they’re saving the identity of castle’s dad for another major plot twist…maybe new captain or beckett mom’s killer is Castle senior???

15. kt says:

I agree that it was about time for kate and castle to connect. It is way past due. How the show and wrters decide to handle this situation will definitely impact the future of the show. I sure hope they don’t screw it up!! It is bad enough we have to wait 4 months. Ugh. I have become too attached to this show… it is just so awesome!

16. T says:

One scene i loved was were Ryan and Esposito discovered that Captain Montegomery was the 3rd cop was excellent the whole mixed bag of emotions was great and well acted. One of the best shows on television

17. Chelsea says:

Wow! That was amazing. Fillion is so good…he definitely gives Boreanaz a run for his money in the ‘looks that say it all’ department. I was yelling and crying and just overall loving the whole episode. So glad I finally discovered this show and it’s going to be a loooong summer….

18. ta33 says:

Nice finale! Hope Kate survives because the show won’t be the same without her.

Expected Captain’s death mid-way because:
    1. Foreshadowing – He spoke about retiring in previous episode.
    2. Death spoiler – The 3rd experienced cop was expected to die in the finale and we already knew that a major character was going to die. Adding them up leads to Captain Roy only.
    3. Captain’s direct requests to kill Roy and indirect one to remove Beckett from the case
    4. There was a slight hint when Captain mentioned that he brought Kate into the homicide team after noticing her passion for her’s mother’s case

19. Seon says:

Intense episode.

Enough unsolved questions and new dynamics for a great season 4.

The shooter, Montgomery’s case files, new Captain and his point of view about Castle, Ryans marriage, Derreck Storm graphic novel, Heat Rises, the Nikki Heat movie, Josh, Castle’s family, Lanie, Esposito, new cases, …

I’m excited for next season.

20. Jackie says:

It was blatantly obvious after last week’s episode that Montgomery would be the one who was killed, and I had an inkling about his role (come on- something this big over this many seasons, it had to be connected to someone we know and love), but it still managed to blow my mind. I was expecting to be let down by this episode. Seriously, they are going to pull the season-ending “We can’t be partners anymore!” for the third year in a row? And could they have made it more obvious that they are going to kill the captain? But then it was AWESOME and DEVASTATING. And can someone please make me a slash video with Ryan and Esposito and that fight scene? Be still my little shipper heart.

21. Elin says:

This was soooooooo good, I’m in love with the episode, with the acting with the series with everything… GAH!! Insane insane insane <3 R & E figthing was fantastic! Kate getting shot, oh wow. I'm losin my mind ;) Do I need to tell you that I love dark and twisty… uhhh <3

22. christy says:

OH My Goodness … I’m still speechless after lastnight’s epsiode..I dont know if I can make it until September.. The writters of Castle know hwo to hook the fans….

23. tums1956 says:

Lost in all the chatter seems to be that great and raw scene between Ryan and Esposito where they came to blows as they had to absorb Montgomery’s betrayal. That was so moving too in an episode that hit emotional highs throughout.

Anyone else notice Esposito grabbing Lanie back from going to Beckett’s aid when the shot rang out?

Makes me sort of wonder if some kind of fix is in, that they all knew something would happen or arranged it somehow. But if that were true, I don’t think Castle would have blurted out the “I love you”. Wonder if anyone else like Alexis and Martha plus Kate’s dad heard him?

I hated to see the actor and character of the captain go especially watching him stare down the contract killer who was holding one of his daughter’s teddy bears. Creepy.

Okay, done blathering on—well done creators, writers, crew and especially our favorite cast.

24. Ethel says:

If Kate is dead, does this mean I can have Castle all to myself?? Great show, great acting, great writing. So glad it was not Lanie. Yes, I also thought it would be the Captain once he mentioned retirement and his wife was introduced. So sad but can’t wait for next season

25. Ellen cahill says:

Montgomery’s death, funeral, & beckett’s shooting was all a set up to lure “the man” out. Bullet proof vests anyone?

• TM says:

Montgomery’s death and funeral are certainly not a setup,as Andrew Marlow himself in an interview(when asked if the character who was rumored to die would be really dead) said that the death would be for real, and that another character would be wounded(if it were a set up,he could’ve just held that information to himself). Additionally, when Kate was shot there was blood on her gloves,so no bullet proof vests there…Sure,the blood could’ve been fake,but then again,if it really was a set up,I’m sure they would’ve told Castle…Had he realized someone was aiming at Beckett a second earlier, he would’ve ruined the plan of luring them out.And if he did know,there was no need to try and save Beckett(and even if trying to save her would make it more realistic,there would certainly be no need to tell her he loved her if he knew she was only faking having been shot)

26. Ashley says:

Fantastic season finale! I saw the fact that Montgomery was the 3rd cop when the camera lingered on him a couple of times when the theory was first introduced, but they did a nice job of playing it out in a way that the audiences’ memories (and DVDs) of him on the show aren’t tainted. Sad to see him go, but he went out like a hero and I can’t wait to see what’s in the files he mailed.

I didn’t predict Kate getting shot or Castle declaring his love like that! September and season 4 can’t come fast enough.

27. Mel says:

Loved it!!!! Brilliant television. Glad Captain didn’t go out to ugly.

The end was annoying though. As far as tv series goes, it is unlikely Beckett will officially die, but they lingered on castle’s face for long enough that it almost seemed she died then and there. But super annoyed i now have to wait for ages, this is exactly why i like to wait for dvd’s so there are no cliffhangers,

28. Sandy says:

Best final ever! I was shocked by Montgomery’s connection to Kate’s mom’s murder, but not by his death. I loved the hanger scene and Kate’s forgiveness, and then their little cop family meeting where she declared no one would know, he would be remembered a hero. I think once I started crying I didn’t stop. Castle’s “I love you” at the end was the cherry on a very great show and I can not wait for next season. Castle is my favorite show on TV right now.

• Tia says:

I agree. The scene of all everyone around the living room was beautiful and started my crying last night. It is amazing I had such an array of emotions last night.

29. John says:

It was one of the most intense episodes of TV that I’ve ever watched but it had some major flaws.

First, the Capitan is definitely dead, http://www.tvline.com/2011/04/castle-finale-spoilers-beckett/. I think Becket was wearing a vest and a blood packet to fake her shooting. I think she operated alone or with the other detectives because that is her MO. She likes to keep Castle in the dark on plans. I also think that Castle will receive the files and attempt to secretly solve the case without Becket to help keep her safe. The timing that Becket was interested in (why this was happening now) was Montgomery’s retirement.

The major flaws was that the Capitan did not do more to throw them off of the case. Even more egregious was the Capitan’s shooting scene. Why would he not want Becket’s gun to help him in the gun fight? He really took down 4 trained killers with a six-shooter? It was way too wild-west and it was too hokey that the “trained killer” would lean over for one last chat, let alone that the Capitan would somehow know that he’d be alive for that one last shot. Becket coming out of the shadows gun blazing would have made more tactical sense and helped his plan of killing the assassin team. Plus, the assassin guy showed way too much trust of the Capitan knowing how loyal he was to Becket and that he had changed his ways.

Still, that was fantastic tv. This was the first tv episode that I’ve ever watched which prevented me from falling asleep for several hours.

The mayor is obviously the really bad guy. Or Count Dooku.

30. Dave says:

The camera was focused on the captain way too much so I picked up on his involvement with the case in the past. However I thought that Castle was going to take the bullet. Ian impressed with the writers for shooting Becket and would be more impressed if they let her die just to throw something at is that we didn’t see coming. Nathan Fillion carries he show so it could survive without Becket.

31. Tia says:

Amazing. Susan Sullivan’s Martha had an amazing scene with Castle. That was such a great mother son discussion. It was a perfect parallel to the father daughter discussion Captain and Beckett had.

32. Melinda says:

BEST. CASTLE. EVER!!!!

33. crumlish says:

Such an amazing episode!!! I loved every single minute of it and my favourite scene was when Castle carried Beckett out of the hangar and was holding her against the car with his hand over her mouth. That scene seriously killed me!

34. Kim says:

I was shocked that it was Montgomery! I really felt betrayed just like Beckett. I cried. I actually cried! I was waiting for Castle to tell her that he loved her while they were standing in her apt but he said everything but that. I hope she remembers it next season. PLEASE no amnesia or anything goofy like that!

35. lexy says:

Thank God Castle finally said it. TV people… you better be shooting that final episode with Kate and Castle coming down the aisle..So many series end abruptly and the viewers never get closure. Oh, and it better be after they said their Ido’s, none of thei backing out at the last minute stuff. Loved the finale. Can’t wait until fall. Glad I have so many people cheering them on as I do.

36. Tom says:

I guess I’m in the minority on this one, but yawn. Everything about this episode was contrived and predictable. I’m disappointed the Castle writers succumbed to the season trend of killing off a regular. The story twists were just silly. What’s worse, I felt like I’ve just watched every season finale for this show for as long as it runs. Every sweeps period, they’re going to dust off the plot line about Beckett’s mothers’ killer like holiday ornaments. Beckett or Castle will make a romantic gesture, which will be unsuccessful.

This show was a cliff-hanger without a cliff. Does anyone really believe Beckett is dead? Does anyone believe she’ll remember (or acknowledge) Castle’s declaration of love? How many season finales have we seen where a central character appears to be killed, or quits, or makes some other dramatic move; then it’s all glossed over next season and things go back to normal.

At this point, I really don’t care what happens next season. Most likely it will be a rewrite of what happened this season. I think this show has lost its creative edge. It has become Bones without the Toyota product placement ads.

Just one last rant — I realize all these shows do things that would never happen in real life, but Beckett shooting wildly at a helicopter weaving its way through Manhattan? Really? Maybe a good opening episode next season would be when Beckett wakes from her coma, she’s immediately charged with the murders of all the people she killed in those buildings behind the helicopter.

37. Dj says:

When Montgomery said he was going to retire last week the first thing I thought was oh crap he is so dead. Any time a cop says that in a movie or tv show they get killed.

38. Sarah says:

That was simply spectacular! Castle just knows how to do finales right. All of them have been power pacted, but this one was one of the best season finales I’ve ever seen. From the emotional fallout between Castle/Beckett to the emotional impact on all the other characters, this episode was pitch perfect. Smart and exciting writing, beautiful production values and spectacular acting. This show is absolutely awesome!

39. Rachel says:

Amazing episode, in the last few minutes I was shouting at the tv! I can’t believe we have to wait so long for season 4, I really want to see how Kate reacts to what Castle said, if she even remembers it

40. Jessica says:

That finale was amazing. I’m sad to lose Montgomery, but things have to be shaken up sometimes, and there were no other real story lines that involved him. He couldn’t just be that ever present figure.

I know she smiled when she was shot, because she’s not dead. They’re doing the same thing Bones did when they “killed” Booth to lure out whoever, in this case its so Kate can go underground and get the mysterious man because I’m figuring she’s already received the files Montgomery sent.

I’m glad he finally told her he loved her. It’s about time because we’ve all been waiting for it, but I’m always hesitant for relationships between the two main leads who are partners, (Bones and Booth as another example) you see the sexual tension but you know they’re not gonna be able to be together forever so then it turns into the do they go for the relationship and we end up losing the dynamic and possibly one of the players, or just keep the tension and keep giving the viewers that metaphorical case of “blue balls” lol.

I can’t wait for the next season. Gonna be OHmazing!

41. zaza says:

Did anyone else feel that the guy they got to play Beckett’s dad didn’t look old enough? He looked like he wasn’t but a few years older than Rick.

42. MC says:

I love the twist at the end of the episode but I still don’t seem them getting together. As the season starts Kate will be in a coma and when she wakes she will not remember Castle’s confession. Then when Castle goes to tell her he will see Dr Motorcycle Boy at her bedside and bottle telling her again. Thus resetting the relationship.

43. John C says:

Well acted (that Ryan v. Esposito scene!), terrific writing, Capt. Montgomery’s issues were very well handled, but another shot-in-the-last-seconds lead actor? This isn’t NCIS with it’s legendary female body count so she’s never even close to dead. So what’s the point?

Yeah because without that no one would show up to watch the first episode of the next season?

I blame Dynasty… though on thinking about it Beckett coming out of a shower always has possibilities.

44. Nick says:

I think it was a great episode, but i think it would of been better if castle jumped in front of beckett and took the bullet and she confessed her love for her. I just think it was expected that castle was more likely to share his feelings for her than the other way around. Just saying

45. sladewilson says:

Best Castle episode ever!!! I don’t know about the bulletproof vest theory because if you look at Kate’s gloves, she has blood on them and there are tears streaming down her cheeks. I don’t believe that’s just from the eulogy. We all know Kate will survive but now she might be on the shelf for a bit and have to rely on Castle a little more. As for the Captain – I knew it would be him but never guessed he would be involved. He went out like a soldier though….

46. MR says:

Jeez people, why is there only drama in getting shot if a person dies? Even though I don’t think that Beckett will die, I see the value in recovering from getting shot and any resulting serious injury – that’s the kind of stuff that changes people in real life, it will add dimension to a fictional character. I think she was really shot – and I have to admit, for a minute I wondered about a Dallas-inspired ‘it was a dream’ tactic or something, because it was so shockingly unexpected! Can’t hardly wait now!

47. Rhianna says:

Very intense episode!! I can see how some think that Beckett’s shooting is staged to catch the blackmailer, but why would they stage her death at Capt. Montgomery’s funeral? Doesn’t that seem a little inappropriate? I didn’t see the smirk on either of their faces, and Castle sure seemed genuine when he confessed his love and was asking Beckett to stay with him. I am almost positive that Beckett won’t die, because there would be no show, or there would be and people wouldn’t watch it. I’ll bet that the next season starts with her in the hospital in a coma or something (very Tony Soprano). Overall, it was and AMAZING season finale with an awesome cliffhangar that will keep us all guessing until September. Can’t wait!

48. Kat says:

Best finale of the season! Can’t wait for season 4! I just hope they get the right person to be the new Captain!

49. heelarryous says:

a couple of weeks back when i read on here that they were killing off a character on the show, i correctly called it and guessed the captain, yay me! love this show, but the romantic tension tween Castle & Beckett is killing me! get together already!

50. Lyla says:

Meh… the season finale was good but when they started talking about a third cop I figured it out: Montgomery. There was no ther choice because of the age and also I already had the person who probably was going to die.
    The ‘I love you’ scene felt kind of forced to be honest. Why must Castle wait until Backett is shoot and almost dead to tell her how he truly feels. It would have been way better if he said it when they fought.

The last scene was the most shocking part for me. The writers pull a Vampire Diarie twist and shoot Beckett! I did not see that coming!!!

Can’t wait for season 4… and, please show, if Beckett has no memory of the “I love you”; I am breaking up with you.

• intothebusynite says:

“please show, if Beckett has no memory of the “I love you”; I am breaking up with you.”

While I said I call amnesia, I certainly dont wish it… I agree with this guy ^.. that would be terribly cliche for such a good show.