Castle Finale Recap: Deadly Confessions

[The following story contains numerous spoilers from this Monday’s episode of ABC’s Castle.]

After three seasons of intrigue about the murder of Beckett’s mother (and even more torturous “Will they/Won’t they?” sexual tension between the two leads), Monday’s season finale of Castle finally offered up some confessions. With trained killer Lockwood on the loose, Beckett plunged back into her mother’s case — much to the chagrin of all the important men in her life. First, her father showed up at Castle’s door and begged him “not to let her throw her life away.” Like Captain Montgomery, he knew that Castle was the only one who could get Beckett to stand down. “She cares about you, Rick,” he told him. “And unless you’re a lot dumber than you look, I know you care about her.”

Castle let it be known just how much he cares by trying to convince Beckett to let go of the case before she got herself killed. And if not for herself, then do it for the ones who love her, like Josh. (If he loves her so much, where is he?) When Beckett asked about Castle’s own intentions, he replied, “Of course I don’t want anything to happen to you. I’m your partner. I’m your friend.”

“I don’t know what we are,” Castle continued. “We kissed and then we never talk about it. We nearly died in each other’s arms and we never talked about it. So I got no clue what we are.” Maybe he should have stopped there because after he accused Beckett of being scared and hiding in her mother’s murder like she hides in “these nowhere relationships with men you don’t love” — harsh, but true — she wanted nothing to do with him.

“You know what we are, Castle? We are over. Now get out,” she demanded.

Thankfully, Montgomery talked some sense into Beckett, revealing that he could have gotten rid of Castle at any time, but he saw “how good he was for [her]. You weren’t having any fun before he came along,” he told her.

The sweetness of the almost father/daughter-like moment was made bittersweet when Montgomery later confessed to Beckett his surprising part in her mother’s case. He was a rookie flatfoot who looked up to the dirty cops kidnapping mobsters for ransom. He believed in what they were doing. And then one day, he accidentally shot undercover FBI agent Bob Arman during the kidnapping of mobster Joe Pulgatti, who was in turn framed for Arman’s murder. It was Pulgatti’s case that Beckett’s mother was looking into.

When Beckett came into his life, Montgomery “felt the hand of God,” so he wasn’t going to let any harm come to her. He lured Beckett to the hangar to set a trap for Lockwood and his men, which meant sacrificing himself in the process. “I forgive you. You don’t have to do this,” Beckett cried as Castle dragged her away. As Montgomery lay bleeding on the ground, he told Lockwood he saw to it that “he” wouldn’t come after Beckett. Hmm, perhaps those files that Montgomery mailed were insurance?

“The best you can hope for is to find a place to make your stand. And if you’re very lucky, you find someone willing to stand with you,” Beckett said at Montgomery’s funeral, sneaking a glance at Castle. Ever observant, Castle spotted something in the distance. Before he could lunge in front of her, a sniper’s bullet hit Beckett. Cradling Kate in his arms, Castle begged her to stay with him. “I love you,” he cried — and it almost looked like she smiled at the confession before her eyes closed. So while we know Beckett will survive (come on, it’s not our first time to the TV rodeo), this is certainly a big confession that promises to shake things up for next season.

What did you think of Castle’s “I love you”? Are you sad about losing Montgomery? Were you surprised by his secret past? Who do you think is the mysterious figure he was referring to? And who do you think should be the new Captain?

1. Tasha says:

Great episode! I was super surprised at the Captains involvement in the case. It played out really well, and it was sad to see him go!

Can’t wait to see what happens with Castle and Beckett next season!!!

2. SL says:

Why would they fake her death on purpose and take away from the captain’s funeral. Plus, wasn’t there blood on her hand?

3. larry says:

W O W !!!! what an episode. had to log on to see if castle had been canceled.the capt. was a awesome twist,but would of like to have had a hint of the man/woman calling the shots.will be looking forward to the fall line up. thanks to ABC finally something on TV worth talking about.

4. Jessabean says:

You know, out of all the twists and turns, the one I didn’t see coming was when Castle and Beckett were suddenly talking about their relationship. When he said, “We kiss and don’t talk about it” I actually gasped like a 13-year old girl.

I loved how confused and unclear that conversation was … because that’s who they are. I hope the creator of this show makes good on his promise and gives us those moments next year without dragging it out for 7 seasons coughBonescough.

When I saw that scene, I saw what he meant by keeping it interesting but still only moving when the time is right.

So EXCITED for next Season!!!

5. Lisa says:

An absolutely AMAZING episode!!! Other shows should take note, because THIS is how you do a season finale.

6. Jamahl says:

Captain!!!! KATE!!!!!! -cries self to sleep till new season-

7. Dawn says:

Loved this episode! My money is on the Mayor being the mysterious figure. Remember the Caprain said “he used the money to get where he is”.

• Irishgirl says:

I thought about that too! He’s the first person I thought of when Montgomery said that. But I imagine it will be someone we’ve never seen before.

8. Devon says:

I’m a huge fan of Castle, and like what people have been saying, they can’t kill Beckett. I’m in total agreement with the “flush out” theory, but they’ll probably throw in the “Bones” twist where Castle isn’t in on it, but there’s supposed to be a list.
    If they do decide to kill her off(which is a really REALLY slim chance), then they’ll probably make it so that there’s some kind of intrigue and that everyone in the “family” is a target now.

9. Jon says:

I called the captain’s involvement about halfway thought o the amazement of my wife… He was a great man but has a flaw. Now he’s gone. Beckett will live! Castle will nurse her back to health and… How dare they leave us like this for four months!

10. anusha says:

AMAZING!!

I have to hand it to the writers for this series. They are truly fearless! Not many other shows would not just kill a major figure, but also have their death be a powerful and moving moment like Montgomery’s. The Captain being involved with Johanna Beckett’s murder and the completion of our understanding of his character’s motivation was excellently written.

Moving away from the literature-like qualities of this episode I have to release the inner fan girl: OH MY GAWD!!!!
    HE SAID IT
    THEY TALKED/FOUGHT ABOUT IT
    SHE GOT SHOT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

OMG I CAN’T BELIEVE I HAVE TO WAIT 4 MONTHS

11. Josephine says:

It was an amazing episode. I was really surprised with Kate getting shot. I loved Castle admitting his feelings…

However afterwars was I the only one thinking that the final scene was an awefull lot like the final scene in Bones seaosn 3×14 the second to last episode… and where you had the next episode start off with Booth’s funereal, which they had because some old enemy of his would only again show up at his funereal.

12. derek storm says:

Wow. The Capt. being dirty was a surprise. Beckett getting shot reminded me of Booth getting shot at the end of a Bones season a few years ago…don’t worry folks she will live, not remember Castle saying the 3 little words, and not becoming the Captain (that would mess up all the dynamics). It will take a few months for my heart rate to return to normal.

13. Nev827 says:

I am gonna miss Ruben so much, but that finale was epic. I wonder if Beckett faked her death so she can spend the summer researching her mom’s murder?
    Anyway, magnificent performances all around!

• Leithen says:

I’m thinking they faked it. Question I have is did Castle know, and I think he did, he’s probably the one that thought of it…which will lead to an amusing scene where she’s mad at him that that’s when he chose to tell her he loved her. Personally, I don’t think he was as “angry/distraught” as he would’ve been if he wasn’t in on it.

If she actually was shot, they’ll play the “she pushes him away to protect him” card next year.

14. Shelly says:

I’d guessed Montgomery was involved a few episodes ago, when they started showing his family. It seemed designed to make us care even more for him in case he didn’t survive. So, I suspected he was going to be the one killed in light of the rumor that a main cast member would buy the farm, and the idea that he’s killed because he was involved in Kate’s mother’s murder made the most sense to me. And Kate can’t die, because the show is about Castle and Beckett, so not much of a cliffhanger, either. Just wondering where they go now that Castle told her he loves her. Will she even remember? So, a bit predictable, but well done.

15. Amber says:

R.I.P captain. BECKETT nooooooooooooooooo. She is the heart and soul of this show, she cant die JUST CANT DIE. Its gonna be a lllllooooooonnnngggg summer!!!!

16. JJMMTT says:

Amazing finale! Did not see the captain twist coming at all!! I can’t help but wonder if this will be a Bones type situation where they’ve faked her death to lure out the killer.
    Can’t wait til the fall!

17. crose1 says:

from sometime in the beginning of the episode, i called that montgomery was the third cop!!!! or that he was somehow involved with that whole situation. but i didn’t see beckett getting shot at the end coming though!! and, we all know that she will survive. there wouldn’t be a show without her. i really think castle is one of the best shows on television right now, and probably ever. i didn’t realize that it has been on for 3 seasons now though.

18. nitemar says:

Best season finale ever! RIP Capt Montgomerry. Wonder if Beckett is going to be the new Captain. :)

19. Cat says:

Wonderful finale! I will really miss Montgomery, and I think the writers can still exalt him and make him a hero… even if he was cop #3… Please not a lady captain… Ryan and Esposito were awesome!! And yes, bring in Laney more! Can’t wait for the start of next season! Send spoilers!!!!

20. Sheryl says:

I just want to say that I haven’t even been following Castle but this episode was excellent. If this is the quality of the writing – I’m a new convert!

21. Sparky says:

Awesome ending – thats the way to do a season finale!!! Loved that Castle finally told her that he loved her. Would it have been too cheesy if she had said it back??? Didn’t see the Captains involvment in her mothers murder but knew he was most likely going to die. Kudos to Andrew Marlowe, the cast and the entire writing staff and crew – can’t wait for Sept….

22. Cole says:

We think the person behind all of this is the mayor. Not only does it tie the story to castle but they have been dropping hints all along!!! So obvious!

23. april "i love rick castle" says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW! I don’t even know what to say. I am shocked (and sad about Captain Montgomery). Excellent writing!

Everything was so believable and emotional, I actually cried! I hope they keep doing what they’re doing!

Long live Teams Beckett/Castle and Ryan/Esposito!!! (and Laney, too!)

24. KevinB says:

Here’s how I see it. Montgomery may not be dead. His death could be the one that will be faked. As for Kate, I think she really got shot, and that she will wake up in the hospital after a long surgery to remove the bullet and repair whatever vital organ that was hit. Of course, she won’t remember the confession that Castle muttered to her before she passed out. That way, the writers can keep that sexual tension between Castle and Beckett pent up for just a bit longer. I may be wrong of course, but that’s how I would write it. :)

25. Tom says:

Huge episode. Can’t wait for next season to see how this one resolves itself. I do think Montgomery’s way of seeing to it that Lockwood wouldn’t go after Beckett was pulling that Derringer he loaded along with his revolver and pumping two into Lockwood’s torso as he leaned over Montgomery’s dying body. No idea who the sniper is. I’m guessing Beckett won’t die. That would really, really suck. Her character is one of the best on TV right now, best written, best acted. And Stana Katic ain’t bad to look at, either.

26. Lisa says:

So after reading through the comments I am clearly the ONLY one who DID NOT like this finale. Maybe it was because I am confused??? My questions:

1) What was the point of the captain, Roy, putting himself on the line and dying? Regardless of whatever he did to “make sure it was over for Lockwood” and the mysterious man who is running all this, why did he think they wouldn’t go after Kate still? That made no sense to me.

2) How could they expect the audience to believe that they wouldn’t still come after Kate? Because Roy told Lockwood he wouldn’t get away with it? Seriously? Because Roy sent a package to someone? Lockwood didn’t know what was in the package or who it went to – so logic stands that he would do what he set out to do – kill Kate. I just totally feel like there was zero point in Roy sacrificing himself.

3) Why even bother with shooting Kate? Felt contrived to me. Obviously, she is going to live. So why shoot her? So Castle could say “I love you”? Not very creative in my opinion. And just supported the fact that there was no reason for the captain to die – they still went after Kate!!

I know I am in the minority, but I did not enjoy this finale at all. Also, thought it was a dead giveaway Roy would die when last week he announced he was retiring.

• Lisa says:

Okay, after reading some comments I re-watched the shooting and saw that the captain actually shot Lockwood, so one is to assume he is dead. So I guess that makes a bit more sense. Still not sure why he thought though that whoever the other person is wouldn’t still go after Kate.

• Leithen says:

Didn’t matter what Lockwood believed, Montgomery was going to kill him either way. And the package and letter sent? Likely the package went to someone he trusted (I’m actually thinking Castle) and letter went to the big evil dude to threaten that if anything happened to Kate/Montgomery’s family that the info would be released.

And I don’t think they (the bad guys) shot Kate. I think Castle and Beckett faked her death.

• asdf says:

hmmm ya if u shoot why not target the head? that way you can be sure that the person is dead… seems more they faked her death… to protect her? to trap the big bad dude???

27. anonymous says:

I think Capt. Montgomery sent the letter to Beckett, warning her of something to do with the man behind her mothers case.

And because of this letter, Beckett faked her death at Montgomery’s funeral in front of witnesses so she can go undercover while everyone thinks she is dead. Someone helped her to do it.

And I don’t think Castle was in on it.

Which will make the beginning of season 4 very interesting. Because Beckett will remember Castle’s “I love you,” but it will be hard for them to get back to where they were since Castle wasn’t in on it and had thought she was dead…

28. Amy says:

This is the first finale since maybe LOST where I was literally on the edge of my seat with my mouth hanging open the the last part of the episode. Between the Captain as the 3rd cop to Beckett being shot, to Castle saying “I love you” finally (!!) I was reeling by the time it was over. So, so good!! I sincerely hope they do not pull a Bones next season and sweep all of the feelings under the rug with lame plots and obstacles. This was just go great and I have faith that the writers won’t let us down. Congrats, Castle to a WONDERFUL season finale. Can’t wait until September!

29. taylor says:

One of the BEST series EVER! The combination of drama and comedic relief are perfect. Season finale was AWESOME but I hated to see Montgomery go-really enjoyed his character. Will miss him. Hope they get someone who ‘fits’-sometimes a loss like this kills the show…..GREAT JOB!!!!! CAN’T WAIT TIL SEPTEMBER!!!

30. Vanessa Young says:

Awesome season ender, can’t wait for the fall. The new captain should be Robert S Woods, he’s perfect and I hear he’ll be available in the fall!

• Rebecca says:

I wholeheartedly agree!!!! Robert S. Woods would be absolutely perfect! While you’re at it, bring Hillary B. Smith to play his wife. ;)

31. Kt says:

simply awesome. ABC, just green light season 5 now.

32. Jimmy says:

I’m gonna tell you all that I was very upset! So upset that I came to the web to see who actually wrote this and from here on out was gonna ban any show/movie written by Marlowe.

But, at the same time I did the looking up, I saw these comments and you make sense. There is no way that she can be dead. What i hated about this ending is it is not normal. I have invested an entire season(s) on this rollercoaster ride for it to end this way?

If this does end this way…I am gonna boycott. If it doesn’t end this way…I am still upset that I have to wait 4 months to find out the truth.

Thank goodness there are “insiders” that can’t keep a secret.

Marlowe….I only want to say one thing. Great show…but I feel totally abused atm. If that is what you were after….good job. Gonna take me a bit to get down off my anger and high pusle rate.

• Monica says:

She can’t be dead, given that Castle’s been renewed for next season, but it’s not necessarily that she’s faking her death, either. There are a couple of ways this can go, and it’s likely that not even the *writers* have figured out which avenue to take yet. For example, she could start the season in a coma, or just coming back to work after recovering from the gunshot wound- either way, she’s probably not going to remember that Castle said “I love you” (or she’ll think she was hallucinating), and she will likely be pissed at him for dragging her away from Montgomery at the end. Then again, Castle could be leery of starting a relationship after the trauma of Beckett almost dying in his arms, since he will justifiably be terrified of losing her for good.

Or she could actually be dead and the sexual tension will continue via ghost sex, a la Denny from Grey’s Anatomy. ::shudder::

33. Nakosa says:

I don’t think that Beckett’s shooting was real. I think it is a setup to catch her mom’s killer. I don’t think Castle knows though, which would explain his “I love you” and her smirk-like expression.

34. CAM says:

10 minutes later and I am still teary. I figured the captain was going to die or be involved somehow after the announcement that he was retiring, but WOW! What an episode! Loved the scene with Becket and Montgomery in his office, loved the scene in the hanger with them and then Castle emerging and carrying her off. And the funeral – OMG! I know she won’t die, but still– it will be a very long summer…

35. CAM says:

OMG – Almost forgot to metion how awesome the scene was with Ryan and Esposito when they realized it was Montgomery!

36. Joe says:

How about this theory. When Beckett said the captain died a hero and no one outside the “family” needed to know otherwise was because he survived. They are covering up to protect his real family until the mystery man is caught. The Beckett shooting was an unexpected twist for them. Just a thought.

37. Christina says:

Never in my life have I wanted summer to be over as badly as I do right now! Damn you Marlowe for your cliffhangery genius!!! LOVED IT!

38. Lisa says:

It would almost be interesting to see Demming get promoted to captain. Now that Castle has confessed his feelings for her, and they had the other confession; it would be interesting to see how they handle the aftermath of it with Demming as their boss. Also, to see the personal conflict he would have in that position.

39. Debbie says:

Here’s my question is the new Captain going to be accepting of the Castle/Beckett partnership and let them continue solving cases together. Captain Mongomery RIP did cause he likes Castle and what he did for Beckett?

40. Michelle says:

I don’t think the shooting was fake. Everyone’s reactions were too real. Did you see Lanie? She had no clue. Why wouldn’t Beckett tell Lanie if it were? They’re BFFs! I would rather not go the Bones route, where they faked Booth’s death. That was lame. I think it would take away the power of Castle’s confession if it were fake. And I want Beckett to remember. Amnesia is a lazy plot device. I think Marlowe & Co are better than that!

41. lucy says:

First Fringe and now Castle! I don’t know if I can take any more What just happened? cliffhanger finales!

42. Brandon says:

To say I loved it would be an understatement. I thought it was one of the best episodes of Castle yet, one of the best season finales of any show I’ve watched, and one of the best episodes of any show I’ve watched as well.

43. raven says:

Call me crazy, but are we SURE that Montgomery is dead? The four were his pallbearers. Maybe there wasn’t a body in the casket, and he will join his family in some protection house…while they still try to weed out the main ring leader. Also, the four agreed to keep things secret…maybe that’s the secret. I think both Montgomery and Becket made it through.

44. Caroline says:

I don’t see why they had to kill Montgomery! :( I really liked him; I was sad when he said he would be retiring. I don’t think they faked Kate being shot—she shed a tear (well 2 tears to be exact). Why would she cry if it was fake? I also don’t see the smirk at the end as mentioned in other comments. I was totally at the edge of my seat the whole time though…now I’m not sleepy and I have to go to sleep-it’s late!

45. Babygate says:

Amazing, AMAZING episode. It was so intense and raw. I literally cried when I saw the team carrying the basket. And the widow and kids crying was heartbreaking. Awesome, awesome episode. Esposito punching his partner over Montgomery was intense! Castle’s love confession was all kinds of AWWWWW! And Beckett! OMG! Shot??? Four months hiatus! Are you kidding me???

46. jess3090m says:

Fantastic finale…. But I’m afraid the first part of season 4 is going to be disappointing to all of us who have waited so long for Castle and Becket to finally be together.

47. scott says:

It was obvious that the captain was going to be the third cop. all the weird close ups of his face when he was in his office. i wish they would have been more subtle with the foreshadowing.

48. KG says:

OH. MY. GOD!!! That episode was AMAZING! Only Will Beall can write something that perfect (“Sucker Punch” and “Knockdown” included). It’s a shame he’s leaving the writing staff.

But, still…what an episode! I speculated the stuff about Captain Montgomery, but the ending was a complete shocker. I mean, Beckett getting shot and Castle telling her that he loves her just before she passes out? ABOUT TIME! Though the circumstances are horrible, he still said it. Let’s just hope she actually heard it.

As for next season, I WANT IT NOW! I’m sad Montgomery is gone; it’s a shame to lose a cast member, especially when these are all loveable characters. And while this was definitely a big cliffhanger, I’m not worried at all about Beckett dying. We know she won’t, because you can’t have the show without her. I’m just anxious to see the repercussions that it has on her job and her partnership/relationship with Castle (especially give that there will be a new captain to deal with). But, as Andrew Marlowe said, they’re “moving the island” next season. Whatever happens, I’m all for it as long as Caskett can move forward and continue to grow.

I’m so excited for season 4! This is going to be a LONG summer.

49. Dan says:

I LOVED this!

By far THE best season finale I have seen this year and probably in a long time.
    Now lets hope the writers won’t take a stupid giant step backwards and pretend the declaration of love didn’t happen next season like so many other shows would do.

50. Kate says:

I just finished watching and wow. I am floored but in a good way. That was the best season finale I’ve seen in a very long time. ABC better back up the Brinks truck for the writing team at Castle because they outdid themselves.

I kind of knew that Montgomery was going to get killed but I didn’t see him being involved in the conspiracy coming until the ep started and he kept giving these weird looks whenever Kate started mentioning the “third cop”. I figured that it was going to be a “in the line of fire” type thing. Having him be “dirty” (although he redeemed himself) really ratcheted up the drama.

And I didn’t see Kate getting shot coming at all. And Castle’s confession, wow. I can’t wait for season 4!