Castle Finale Recap: Deadly Confessions

[The following story contains numerous spoilers from this Monday's episode of ABC's Castle.]

After three seasons of intrigue about the murder of Beckett’s mother (and even more torturous “Will they/Won’t they?” sexual tension between the two leads), Monday’s season finale of Castle finally offered up some confessions. With trained killer Lockwood on the loose, Beckett plunged back into her mother’s case — much to the chagrin of all the important men in her life. First, her father showed up at Castle’s door and begged him “not to let her throw her life away.” Like Captain Montgomery, he knew that Castle was the only one who could get Beckett to stand down. “She cares about you, Rick,” he told him. “And unless you’re a lot dumber than you look, I know you care about her.”

Castle let it be known just how much he cares by trying to convince Beckett to let go of the case before she got herself killed. And if not for herself, then do it for the ones who love her, like Josh. (If he loves her so much, where is he?) When Beckett asked about Castle’s own intentions, he replied, “Of course I don’t want anything to happen to you. I’m your partner. I’m your friend.”

“I don’t know what we are,” Castle continued. “We kissed and then we never talk about it. We nearly died in each other’s arms and we never talked about it. So I got no clue what we are.” Maybe he should have stopped there because after he accused Beckett of being scared and hiding in her mother’s murder like she hides in “these nowhere relationships with men you don’t love” — harsh, but true — she wanted nothing to do with him.

“You know what we are, Castle? We are over. Now get out,” she demanded.

Thankfully, Montgomery talked some sense into Beckett, revealing that he could have gotten rid of Castle at any time, but he saw “how good he was for [her]. You weren’t having any fun before he came along,” he told her.

The sweetness of the almost father/daughter-like moment was made bittersweet when Montgomery later confessed to Beckett his surprising part in her mother’s case. He was a rookie flatfoot who looked up to the dirty cops kidnapping mobsters for ransom. He believed in what they were doing. And then one day, he accidentally shot undercover FBI agent Bob Arman during the kidnapping of mobster Joe Pulgatti, who was in turn framed for Arman’s murder. It was Pulgatti’s case that Beckett’s mother was looking into.

When Beckett came into his life, Montgomery “felt the hand of God,” so he wasn’t going to let any harm come to her. He lured Beckett to the hangar to set a trap for Lockwood and his men, which meant sacrificing himself in the process. “I forgive you. You don’t have to do this,” Beckett cried as Castle dragged her away. As Montgomery lay bleeding on the ground, he told Lockwood he saw to it that “he” wouldn’t come after Beckett. Hmm, perhaps those files that Montgomery mailed were insurance?

“The best you can hope for is to find a place to make your stand. And if you’re very lucky, you find someone willing to stand with you,” Beckett said at Montgomery’s funeral, sneaking a glance at Castle. Ever observant, Castle spotted something in the distance. Before he could lunge in front of her, a sniper’s bullet hit Beckett. Cradling Kate in his arms, Castle begged her to stay with him. “I love you,” he cried — and it almost looked like she smiled at the confession before her eyes closed. So while we know Beckett will survive (come on, it’s not our first time to the TV rodeo), this is certainly a big confession that promises to shake things up for next season.

What did you think of Castle’s “I love you”? Are you sad about losing Montgomery? Were you surprised by his secret past? Who do you think is the mysterious figure he was referring to? And who do you think should be the new Captain?

1. Leigh says:

That was AWESOME! Best episode. Can’t believe the ending! I will miss the Captain, but what a set-up for Season 4. Wow. AMAZING.

• mariah says:

omg i know right but kate did look as if she did smile and castle made some sort of smirk over her as he looked at her after she closed her
      eyes

• nakedheat2356 says:

oh yeah, he really did… I bet the shooting was staged – don’t know why, but it would be funny to start in September with ”Wait… Castle, what did you just say?”

• Love, love says:

I started screaming at the tv that she has a flak jacket on and it was staged to bring out the bad guy too.

Sad to see the chief go, but really enjoyed the twists and turns in this episode. It was a much better one than the light stuff (like all of the pizza guys named Nick in NYC, though that was funny)

Can’t wait until fall!

• Catherine says:

I just love the dynamic between Kate and Castle. The tension and playfulness is such a fun trip! He winced I think instead of a smirk. He thought he was losing her.

• Michele Laws says:

You are not kidding!!!Anybody know when Season 4 starts,LOL!!!

• 8daysaweek says:

It is a great set-up for next year. I’m excited for the next season.
      Castle has one of the best season finales of the year so far.

• Alicia says:

I know! SHAKING AND CRYING. So intense, this finale totally delivered.
      NCIS, House, Bones, Criminal Minds, The Mentalist et al–you are on notice; the bar has been set!

• Laura says:

Absolutely agree-AMAZING episode! I spent a great deal of time flipping out, out loud, at my TV, so probably good I live alone. The end sequence at the funeral-great, super cliffhanger; the final scene at the airhangar-stunning. Hottest thing on TV- Castle laying it out for Beckett at her apartment. I’ve had a long-time semi-unhealthy interest in Nathan Fillion, but that scene gave me delightful little chills. Can I get some agreement on that my fellow Fillionphiles?

• Jenn says:

You aren’t alone in your interest in Nathan!!!! He’s so freaking adorable! This show just keeps getting better and better! We all know Beckett isn’t going to die but wow what an ending. I figured out weeks ago Montgomery was the one who would die but his secrets I was not expecting.

NBC, CBS and Fox should take notes on how a great show is done and how you do a proper finale! September is so far away! I’ve never wanted it to be here faster than I do now!!!!

• Denise says:

I also share that interest in Nathan. I loved every minute of this episode and luckily I still have it on my DVR and can re-watch it. I agree Jenn, I figured out a few weeks ago it was going to be the captain too… and the twist he was involved took me by surprise.

• aleksa says:

I would watch that man read the phone book. He is my ultimate perfect man.

• MSW says:

Back up – Nathan be mine!! LOL – he’s too adorable :)

Great episode – can’t wait for next season, kind of hoping they do the jump forward a few and we open to Castle and Beckett in healthy and uber hawt relations.

• raina tasso says:

I too am crazy about Fillion. I think that guy is the best looking one on tv at the moment. Before him, when I was just a tiny kid and the soap Texas was on in the the early 80’s, I used to watch it just for the sake of Phillip clark who played Ryan conner. Why can’t every woman have a man like one of these. Who needs the tiny wimps who think they are God’s gift to women?

• rain says:

i will miss the captain. or is he really dead? very intense. i agree the best so far

• Glenn Frazier says:

I seriously hope that Beckett did not die in that last scene. I hope she just passed out and will return next season. If not the show will not be the same.

• plkc says:

It could be that it was a setup.. faking Beckett’s death to catch the guy who was blackmailed the three cops for the ransom money.. as some one did note Castle was smirking when Beckett closed her eyes..

• zaza says:

I don’t think it was a smirk so much as a look of surprise. I think he looked down and realized that she was wearing a bullet-proof vest.

• kareMarie says:

There was blood on her hand, and no smirking that I could see :-(

• The Schaef says:

@Kara – they make squibs for that stuff. Even if it’s not all a stunt, she could turn out only to be mostly dead. And as we all know, mostly dead is still slightly alive.

• Denee says:

Kudos for the Princess Bride reference in your rebuttal…but does anyone else think that Kate getting shot seems too much like “The Pain in the Heart” episode of Bones? the cop/fed gets shot and they play like they’re really dead? Don’t get me wrong-I was screaming at the TV watching the finale Monday-just like I’m sure I’ll be doing the same thing at Bones on Thursday…
            May sweeps finale week is a double edged sword-on one hand it’s some of the best TV-plot twists, and romance, confessions, etc…on the other hand…WE HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL FALL TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!!!grrr.
            and thus begins the hell of rerun summer…

• Michelle says:

Wow, just wow! One of the best season finales to one of the best seasons ever! Ughhh it’s going to be a long summer — can’t wait until September! Castle totally delivered!

• darclyte says:

It’d be interesting if they bring in someone new to be the Captain, but the new Captain would more likely than not boot Castle. My hope is that it’s Esposito.

• Catherine says:

The new captain will be someone who competes with Castle for Kate. The guy Montgomery was protecting who is behind Kate’s mother’s murder I bet is the Mayor!

• Sandra says:

Just when you were starting to breathe normally again and the funeral begins….then the sniper shoots Beckett! What a great episode. I will miss the character of the Captain, but what great insights into who he was and what made him such a good cop. Not a single chuckle in this episode, and though I like the humor that this show injects into the stories, this was the perfect season finale. Looking forward to all the twists that come next!!! Cudos to Marlowe and writers, cast and crew – excellent TV.

• Bones and Castel Lover says:

I watchd the news after the show ended and they went behind the scenes on Castel. Becket is still on the show. Also I saw a Pilot or what ever you call it for the “Season Opener” in Sept it showed Becket alive and well.

• Sarah says:

Why didn’t the captain wear a vest? Obviously they were going to shoot him. I’m so sad.

2. blargh says:

RIP Captain. Crazy ending.

3. Leigh says:

And he told her he loves her! It’s about time!

And the new captain should be a woman. More females would add an interesting new mix to the group.

But it was amazing!

• Brett says:

Not necessarily. It can kill a show. See: Human Target. Besides, they already have enough women to be interesting. They just never use Lanie for more than one brief appearance. We need more Lanie, dangit!

• Alice says:

I totally agree about Lanie AND the Captain’s position. The cast is actually close to half and half with gender roles: You have Castle, Ryan, and Esposito vs. Beckett, Lanie, and Castle’s mom and daughter. There’s a part of me that says that they should have a woman in the police force with whom they’re working, but I do think it’s more balanced this way. What WOULD be great would be an older man to be a love interest for Castle’s mom! I feel like that would cause lots of comedy, drama, and everything in between.

• Tarc says:

Adding the ladies to Human Target didn’t kill the show – low ratings from the first season produced a demand to increase the female demos during season two. The ratings didn’t improve in the female demo, so the show was canned. So, in fact, adding the ladies SAVED the show as far as a season two.

• Rowan says:

Human Target was’t ruined because the boss was a woman – it was ruined because the writing was crappy, they made the boss an idiot and added another girl just to make Guerrero annoyed.

The show was good without the girls. They were only brought in in the hopes that more women would watch. Didn’t work.

As for Castle – Great ending. The foreshadowing last week about Montgomery was so heavy you could have used it for a door-stopper, but it played out nicely and the storyline made sense. Super glad Castle finally told Kate he loved her, and if they don’t deal with it properly in the beginning of next season I’m gonna be pissed.

• Templar says:

It also didn’t help that they bounced Human Target all over the schedule. Some weeks no show, some weeks back to back episodes. Mark Valley deserves better.

• Georgia Madman says:

I’m on the “More Lanie” bandwagon.

• Anthony says:

How about Morena Baccarin of Firefly and V (since V’s being cancelled)? That would light a fire in Beckett’s bum…. The new Cap flirty with Castle… hahahhaa…

• DieHardFillionFan says:

There were too many shows recently that tried to feature women in the lead role (like Beckett), and most of them failed horribly by casting weak actors. I think the balance that they have on the show is great, as the number of men greatly exceeds the number of women in law enforcement. Also, the dynamic on this show is great as is, but I wonder how the Captain’s murder will affect Beckett since she idolized him… we will see, for sure.

4. Steph says:

OMG I am legit in tears after that finale… I can’t even begin to process everything that happened!

5. sara says:

omg…the season finale was AWESOME! i loved Castle’s confession and I’m so bummed that I have to wait till Sept to see what the fallout is…great job Marlowe!!!

6. Andi says:

OMGGGG!!!! I’m so glad Castle finally did it. But I’m so upset that Capt. Montgomery died… :(. But Im still excited for next season!!!!

• Irishgirl says:

Doubt it.

• alex says:

he said relatively new. I don’t consider three seasons relatively new. To me that reads something that’s a sophmore. Also he said “Because, as big a pain as the brat in question has become, he/she has also become a big star.”

While Katic is AWESOME- she’s not a “big” star so to speak.

• Liz says:

Not only that, but she’s so integral to what makes this show what it is. The show is not about the case of the week as much as it is about Castle’s relationships with the people around him, and most importantly, her. How could they justify having him on the police force without her? Maybe if they did some crazy time jump to where something comes up on her case and Alexis is a cop and he ends up hanging with her and Ryan and Esposito, but I just don’t see it. If they fire her, they kill the show.

• Robin says:

The cast of Castle is very much like a family. Behind the scenes have shown how much they all enjoy working together. No divas on this show.

• allie says:

From everything ever reported about her, Stana’s the exact opposite of a diva.

7. Sarah says:

Holy crap! I was expecting Montgomery to go, but definitely NOT expecting Kate to get shot!! Awesome season finale.

8. lariet50 says:

Still freaking out. Can’t communicate coherently. Blergh…

9. Highlandlass says:

Awesome episode!!! Will miss the Cap but what a way to go out. Props to entire cast of Castle! Great job

10. Meghan says:

This was a fantastic episode. It really played out so well and while I will miss the Captain, I am so glad his character came full circle.

Ah I cannot believe I have to wait all summer for this!

11. S says:

HOLY CRAP. I don’t know how to deal with this. What do you mean, four months until the next episode? How will I survive the summer?
    This episode was AMAZING with so many twists. I particularly loved the ‘I love you, Kate.’ because I did NOT see that one coming, at all. But then, I also thought Castle would be the second one to get shot, not Beckett.

• Irishgirl says:

I figured they might pull the cliffhanger-shoot-the-female-lead thing, but I think it would have been interesting if Castle had been shot instead. It would have been a catalyst for her recognizing her feelings. Then they could have had a few episodes of her pushing him away and trying to distance her job from him out of fear he would get hurt again being around her.

• zaza says:

I thought the same thing! Castle is fully alive to his feelings for her, but she needs something to shove her in the right direction. He was so spot on when he said that she hides from her feelings.

• The Schaef says:

They already did that at the turn of the last season.

• DNH says:

Castle getting shot would have been a useless gimmick. At least this way, while there is very, very little chance of Beckett being written off, that possibility remains. Plus, this also sets up the Beckett/Dr. Whatshisface storyline coming to a head. Got to get that one rsolved before Beckett/Castle can be together.

12. Maureen says:

BEST EPISODE EVER!!!! This is how you tell a great story!

13. KCMc says:

It was a great episode – and a great opportunity for Ruben Santiago-Hudson to show his acting chops. Poor guy never really got much to do. How are we supposed to wait until next season after that? I am still on the edge of my seat.

• Chiara says:

Yeahhh too bad they used it only in his finale episode!! That guy was great!!!!

• Robin says:

Reuben Santiago-Hudson was awesome in the finale. I’m glad he got to go out in a blaze of glory though I will miss his character. As the captain, he was a father figure for Beckett and he was perfect as the top dog at the 12th precinct. I will miss his scenes with Stana, they were so good together. Everyone did a fabulous job. Jon and Seamus made the Ryan and Esposito scene at the end so good and of course Nathan and Stana blew me away with their confrontation. All that honest emotion, it was so intense. Can’t wait for next season to see how they put it back together now that words were said.

14. Emily says:

OMG That was some finale. I saw that the chief could be involved and it made it upsetting he had a part in it, but I DID NOT see Beckett getting shot. Great cliffhanger for next season!!!

15. lolo says:

i watched it twice and OMG. and would it sound redudant to say i loved the “I love you” :o

16. Kimmy says:

I seriously cannot believe that the Captain played a part in the murder of Kate’s mom. I was completely shocked and caught off guard by that whole part. I am sad he died but kind of glad it wasn’t Ryan or Esposito. Hope Kate makes it out of her injury!

17. Britnasty says:

It was an amazing finale. I did not see that coming with Montgomery being the 3rd cop but I did see the funeral scene coming, but just not like that. It was intense though. Thank god the show got picked up for another season so we know she lives.

18. Lori says:

Sad that the Captain’s gone. KATE CAN’T DIE! :( :'(

19. ringrrl says:

I’m in tears! This was such a sad shocking finale for me! and of course Beckett is going to survive, but what Castle must be feeling right now, OMG.

Well played Castle writers/actors/crew

20. Katie says:

I was riveted to the screen the entire episode! I was not expecting Beckett to get shot..and it’s going to take a lot of convincing to get me to believe she’s alive! I’ll watch it again and then we’ll see..but I LOVE CASTLE!

21. Me says:

OH MY GOD WHAT JUST HAPPENED? <– my sentiments about the episode. It. Was. Awesome.

22. Kate says:

Best. Finale. Ever.
    Super excited for season 4 now! Can’t wait to see what happens!
    I could definitely deal with them adding a new character or two, with Alexis ready to move off and all I think it’s time to up the dynamic and bring in some new relationships!

23. Courtney says:

RIP Captain Montgomery….I was so worried this development would ruin his character for me, but I love him even more. And WOW what a season ender! Beckett getting shot, Castle’s tender declaration of love…I can’t wait for season 4!

24. Laura says:

I was completely floored by it. First off Castle finally telling her he doesn’t know where he stands with her and lays it out. I was so happy he did that. And the I love you which isn’t a surprise and I wonder what happens. If she will blow him off, or he pretends he doesn’t say it. As for Montgomery, I was really sad-not only that he’s gone but that he was involved. I still like him and sorry to see him gone.

25. Cathy says:

Woah!!! Sad about Montgomery, but that would have been a good enough season-ending ‘shocker.’ Totally didn’t see that bullet coming for Kate @ the funeral!!

26. PJL says:

Best Castle ever. Writer did a great job on this one. Wow.

27. Danielle says:

I’ll admit, I was in tears for the whole ending. Best episode yet (and that’s saying a lot)!

28. sera74 says:

Totally knew it would be the Cpt dying… didn’t see him being dirty however. Loved Castle carrying Kate away and the defeat in her when she collapses in his arms. Fantastic work by all invovled.

• Jessabean says:

This!
      There was a part of me like, “Castle could never overpower Beckett. Doesn’t she beat guys up all the time?!” And then I realized that he could because she was so defeated by the Cpt. turning out to be the third cop. Kudos to Stana…. ahh I never get the actress’s name right … just seeing her hunched over as Castle was carrying her and I understood what they were doing there. Something like that is what makes Castle so much better than your average crime show.

29. Mick says:

Suppose to do homework but the episode is too good. I did not see that coming with Capt., he was probably the most honorable guys on the show.
    Loved Castle and Beckett’s fight. He will always end up chasing her until she starts chasing him a bit it won’t a relationship of equals.

30. Abrat says:

If Becket comes back like all are saying, then she will be promoted to Captain. Bet’cha

31. mdb says:

I suspected Montgomery was in the know somehow did not expect how deep he was in though.

I am smelling a Criminal Minds like Prentiss death here – make Kate look dead to flush out the bad guy.

I am dying to know who the ring leader is though & who the Capt mailed the envelope to. I am guessing Castle.

It is going to be a very very long summer…. damn you Marlow and you fantastic writing

• Amy says:

If this was a fake shooting, Castle sure acted like he thought it was real and I can’t imagine Beckett not having Castle in on the plan if it was fake. I hope it wasn’t fake. That would take away from the seriousness and emotion of the end and especially of Castle’s “I love you.”

• April says:

No way it was fake, there was blood on her uniform and gloves. It’s about time Castle admitted how he feels about kate. Betcha she doesn’t remember though. They say when you go thru a severe trauma, you don’t remember the time right after it happened. Wonder who the new Captain is going to be. Cannot FREAKIN wait til the season premiere in September. Nathan Fillion is the sexiest man on TV!

• The Schaef says:

That’s how they did it on Bones. And let me tell you, as happy as she was that Booth staged his death, she was pissed that she was left out of the loop (by Sweets, FWIW).

• allie says:

Yeah, I am wondering if Kate’s shooting was faked as well BUT if it was you’d think that they’d have clued in Montgomery’s wife and kids… it was his funeral after all. And they just looked grief stricken – not apprehensive at all. I don’t know. Great episode!!!

• zaza says:

I don’t think the shooting was faked. I think some bad guy legitimately took a shot at her. But I do think that she was wearing a vest. It makes sense…the head bad guy behind it all is still out there. It would be dumb of them to assume he couldn’t or wouldn’t hire another hitman like Lockewood and that his next target wouldn’t be Kate. So of course, if she’s going to be at a very public event, it would make sense for her to wear a vest.

32. Pickle8182 says:

OMG ! OMG! OMG!!! Awesome! And just when you think it’s over, OMG! I was thinking maybe they were faking it until the get the last powerful one (why didn’t Montgomery tell her who?!), but when he said “I love you” it has made me second guess that theory.

33. Leithen says:

So they obviously faked her death…

Question is, is Castle in on it or not? I’m thinking yes.

• Irishgirl says:

She had blood on her gloves. And I imagine if it was faked, and he was in on it, he wouldn’t have professed his love to her.

• Leithen says:

1) Blood is easily faked.

2) I actually think that would be a point of humor in the next season. “You pick then to tell me?!”…

Eh, who knows…Main reason I thought it was faked was that it made logical sense given people might still be after her, and Castle actually didn’t seem as angry or distraught as I would’ve thought he’d be.

• Irishgirl says:

Hmm….all good points. It’s just so…..Bones….you know. Been there, done that.

Although, another argument for it being faked is this, why would the person behind all this (The Big Bad) draw more attention to things by killing her at a police captain’s funeral? He’d make it look like it was in the line of duty or something, right. But, if they were going to fake it, why would they fake it? I imagine the person behind all this already knows Lockwood and his three other henchmen are dead. So, if Beckett was going to fake her death, it would have to be a death in the line of duty or an accident so the Big Bad would believe it.

• Livia says:

It might be logical, but it’s definitely not faked. If it was, Castle wouldn’t have looked so suspicious about the glaring light while Kate was talking. As for the distraught thing, Castle is usually really composed during action and drama, usually because of admiration or shock, so it fits that he wasn’t hysterical about Kate’s shooting. Might also have to do with the fact that Kate’s the strongest woman he knows and he believes she can make it through.

• Leithen says:

Your point about Castle looking suspicious is only valid if Castle was in on it.

If he’s not?

• allie says:

why would he suddenly confess his love for her if her was in on it? It could have been faked – it was an awfully small funeral for a police captain. They are usually seriously huge affairs. And while I am aware that eulogies are sometimes done at the grave, Beckett sure was in a position to be an easy target. But I think you are right and IF it was faked, Castle didn’t know.

• Livia says:

Leithen- That made no sense… If he was in on it, there would have been no need for him to look suspicious. He wouldn’t have wondered about the flashing light, cause he would have already known what it was.

allie- I agree. I think if it was faked, Castle wouldn’t have been so worried or felt the need to tell her that he loved her.

• jamain says:

kind of like a sequel to the fake kiss they did.

34. Chatty says:

As much as I like Beckett, it would be mind-blowing if she is truly dead come Fall. Has any other show ever killed one of the two leads at the height of his/her popularity? I’m just saying…

• Me says:

I believe it was season 3 of Grey’s Anatomy where Meredith was dead for an episode. It happens. I’m sure it won’t last, or at least I’m hoping it doesn’t.

• Irishgirl says:

Buffy (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) died at the end of season 5. Last shot of that season was of her tombstone.

• josephine says:

yeah some female on NCSI was killed off at her height.

I’m pretty sure it has also been used on other shows.

35. remnant0888 says:

wow !!
    mind blowing ..
    and so sad ..
    yet so happy …
    good writing job guys ..

36. Lori says:

Wow! What a finale. Loved Montgomery and was shocked about his part,in her moms murder. Loved his stand and Castle taking Beckett out of the hangar, cant wait til next season.

37. Caroline says:

Best episode yet!!! Can’t believe the Captain is gone but can’t wait to see what S4 has in store for Kate and Rick!!

38. Adrianne says:

Excellent finale…cant wait for season four

39. Veronica says:

LOVED this finale and hated it at the same time (mainly because it will leave me insane as I wait 4 months for the next season to start!) And I just read somewhere that Beckett isn’t dead (oh there’s no way they would do that to us, would they?!) But did she have a bullet proof vest on? Then why did she pass out? My favorite part was Castle telling her he loved her of course!
    Oh my goodness, I loved it! So sad about Captain!! :( Who will replace his character?!
    I agree with whoever it was that said “not a woman”. You’re right, Lainey barely gets enough attention.
    I have to watch this episode again!

40. DramaMan says:

WOW…WOW….WOW….is all I can say about tonights FINAL episode of CASTLE!! Kate getting shot at the end made my mouth stay open in SURPRISE for 10 minutes. I am still SHOCKED at the show!! I was not at all surprised at Rick telling her he Loved her. Shooting your leading lady at a Funeral for the CAPTAIN!!! WOW talk about BIG BALLS!! AMAZING…I cannot wait to see Season 4!!

41. John says:

Great episode — RIP Captain — but who shot Beckett at the end ?? Great lead in to next year !!

42. Maria says:

One word — fabulous!! Can’t wait until next season!

43. Liz says:

Figured Captain would be the one to go – once they said retirement, it was a sealed deal. People always die when they are about to retire.

BUT KATE. WHATTTTT. Didn’t expect that AT ALL.

Fantastic episode.

44. Lori says:

Wow! What a shocking ending!! I didn’t see that coming. I hope they don’t get too cheesy with bringing her back to life – but of course she can’t die. Maybe she will take over Montgomery’s job. Kudos to Andrew Marlow for the fantastic writing. Keep up the good work.

45. No No No!!! says:

That episode was amazing but went way too fast for me.
    Ugh!!!!! Poor Castle, he finally gets out the three words when it’s too late :(. And what was up with the letter Montgomery mailed!!

• Irishgirl says:

I imagine it’s all the original files and whatnot from the murder of the FBI agent. I was wondering if he mailed it to Castle, but then when he appeared at the hanger, I figured probably not.

46. Mack n pam says:

OMG, wow, who would’ve thought?! Superb writing and excellent acting. Captain was a surprise and will be missed. LOVE this show! (we know Kate will survive or we’d have no show). Can’t believe we have to wait till the fall for more!!!

47. porttack says:

Come fall we get a new Captain. When Kate wakes up in the hospital she will have forgotten that Castle told her that he loved her. We then get to spend all of Season #4 watching the two of them play the Bones-Booth game.

• Anne Motto says:

That was my suspicion as well… although I also suspect she’ll remember come November-ish or February-ish.

• shan says:

The typical – It could happen. However, i’ve been pleasantly surprised with the writing and the direction the show’s going… I now it’ll be a worthwhile season 4, no doubt.

Just incredibly sad about Captain Montgomerey, though…

Ahhh! Such fantastic episode.

48. Danielle says:

IN-SANE!!!!!!! My hands were covering my mouth the ENTIRE episode- it was totally intense. I had suspected the Captain when they were all drinking beer, but I wasn’t quite sure, and then turns out he was the 3rd cop! As for the “I love you” (I DIE, seriously), I don’t think that Beckett will remember it… unfortunately. I’m just glad that Castle FINALLY said it! It really was bittersweet, but you know that the love is there, I just hope season 4 gives us the love!!! Cheers to the fall!!

49. Deb6032 says:

AMAZING! Didn’t see that coming for Beckett. Too bad Capt. Montgomery had to die but quite an unexpected twist. I’m glad Rick got a few things off his chest with Kate. Can’t wait for next season.