Comic-Con

NBC's Fall Schedule Revealed: Chuck's on the Move, 30 Rock Takes Pregnant Pause

NBC is the first broadcast network to unveil its official game plan for the 2011-12 TV season, and the biggest news regarding returning shows is that Chuck‘s fifth and final season will unspool on Fridays at 8/7c, while 30 Rock — starring and exec-produced by the pregnant Tina Fey — will air its next cycle uninterrupted, though not until midseason. Also of note: Parks and Rec is returning to its 8:30 berth, while Parenthood is staying put on Tuesdays at 10 — where last season it faced considerable competition.

NBC Exec on Chuck‘s Big Finish, SVU Minus Mariska/Chris, and Wonder Woman Troubles

Among the new fare, NBC’s Maria Bello-fronted port of the UK’s Prime Suspect has landed on Thursdays at 10; Up All Night (starring Christina Applegate, Maya Rudolph and Will Arnett) and Free Agents (Hank Azaria, Kathryn Hahn and Anthony Head) will form a new Wednesdays-at-8 comedy block; and the fantastical Grimm is leading out of Chuck on Fridays, effectively forming a night of genre TV.

Watch Videos from 11 of NBC’s New Shows Here

On tap for midseason, in addition to 30 Rock: new cycles of Celebrity Apprentice and The Voice; the new comedies Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea, Bent and Best Friends Forever; and the new dramas Awake, Smash (which will air Mondays at 10, after The Voice), and The Firm (based on the John Grisham novel, yet to be cast).

Fall Preview: TVLine’s Guide to Next Season’s New Shows

All told, the NBC schedule looks like this; new shows are in CAPS, click for details:

MONDAY

10 pm Dateline NBC

SATURDAY
Repeats “Encore programming”

SUNDAY
7 pm Football Night in America
8:15 pm NBC Sunday Night Football

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: The Cape, Chase, The Event, Law & Order: Los Angeles, Outsourced and Perfect Couples

1. Linda says:

Happy to see Parks & Rec is coming back in the fall, but before the Office? I think the Office was a really good lead-in. Hope people will watch Parks & Rec. It is the best comedy on television right now. Really excited for Up All Night too with Christina Applegate, Will Arnett & Maya Rudolph! This is probably just me thinking this but both Amy Poehler & Will Arnett(who are married in real life) will be on the same night on the same network. Love them both so much! :) And last but not least hope 30 Rock will return asap after Tina Fey gives birth. It is also one of my favorite comedies on television! :)

2. BrianR says:

Of the shows listed I will check out Prime Suspect with Maria Bello and the Playboy Club might be interesting. I don’t know anything about Grimm but i may check it out. Other than Chuck and Parenthood I don’t see much worth watching and invesiting my time in that will be cancelled anyway.

3. ShortyMac says:

“On one hand, I’m glad that Parenthood isn’t moving which would mean losing viewers while they try to find it, but on the other hand, I’m disappointed that they will still be going up against The Good Wife and everything else.” – This.

4. robinepowell says:

I have a crazy idea. Switch timeslots for Parenthood and Harry’s Law. I have said since last season that Parenthood needs a 9:00 timeslot and putting as a lead in for SVU would be a good thing.

• Mindy says:

This would mean putting “Parenthood” against “Modern Family” and “American Idol” at midseason. Are you sure you want that?

5. Karrie says:

NBC is the worst network on TV; they rarely give their freshman series a chance! Chase was such a great show and will only watch (DVR) 3 shows period now on their network!

6. Pepper says:

The way most of you talk here… like cold-hearted TV executives. Chuck had terrible ratings. Ratings, ratings, ratings. If it was all about ratings, we would be watching CSIs set in 36 different cities every night.
    Look at shows with high ratings. They’re all the same. Chuck’s special.
    And as Master Whedon said: “I’d rather make a show 100 people need to see, than a show that 1000 people want to see.”

7. bh says:

I think their scheduling has been very interesting!
    To read my full opinions on it go to my website at

8. rachel says:

so is the sing-off going to be a regular show, not just a few-week feature?

9. John says:

Wow. Just when I thought NBC picked up some good shows – why does it matter when you schedule them so poorly? Christina Applegate’s new show CLEARLY belongs with the heavyweight comedies on Thursday – it will get eaten alive paired with ‘Free Agents’ (which sounds awful) and up against X Factor/American Idol. Grimm on Fridays? Really? If you didn’t want it, why order it? And why are ‘Smash’, ‘Are You There Vodka’ and ‘Awake’ all at midseason??? This is a terrible schedule.

10. Sam says:

Bring back the final season of Heroes dammit

11. AM says:

So stoked that NBC FINALLY moved Chuck!!!! I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’ve always had to watch it online the next day because of conflicts with other shows. Bummer they waited to make this move until the final season.

12. Kayla says:

it’s a bittersweet feeling right now since i am very happy that Chuck got renewed 4 another season but i’m also sad that it will be ending gonna ball my eyes out when the last episode airs :'( but at least it gets a proper send off unlike so many great shows and i am happy that they will end it on a good note. Chuck 4ever, nerd 4 life :’)

13. frannie says:

Fridays are getting awfully crowded. I was looking forward to watching Grimm, but now it will be going up against Fringe and Supernatural, two of my three top shows. There’s only so much time shifting and recording that I can do..

14. Lindsey says:

I’m actually not too upset about the Chuck movie because even though it’s the death slot, I’m happy it got renewed in the first place. Plus, then at least it’s not competing with HIMYM, House, and DWTS. I’ve never seen it officially announced that it was definitely the last season though. We can assume so, but I didn’t know the network said that. My only wish is that it’d get another pickup after the 13 because it’ll only be a few episodes shy of 100. Oh well…

15. Christa says:

i love chuck moving to friday!!! there was nothing good on at the 8 o’clock hour before Fringe!!! now i get both shows i watch in one day!!! AWESOME!!!

16. skyfan says:

NBC just ensured more DVR sales by scheduling Chuck *against* Fringe. Doofus-move award there….

17. Bob says:

And the best news is: NO MORE OUTSOURCED!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

18. sarah says:

I am sad about Outsourced. It was a funny little show!! Now the only TV I watch on NBC is The Office (but minus Steve Carrell how long will it last?) and L&O:SVU!!! That never used to be the case. NBC used to be my main channel. Cmon NBC! Get with the program!!

19. JD says:

i can’t believe all of the complaints about time slots on here. i love Chuck, but who really cares when it’s on? we’ve been told that this is the final season. it’s not like bad ratings because it’s on friday even matter anymore. also, who actually watches things live? if you watch a 60 minute show live, you’re essentially wasting 20 minutes where you could be doing something else had you DVR’ed the show and fast forwarded through the commercials. it only makes sense to watch a show live if you don’t have cable. also, Parks & Rec is the best show on TV right now, it doesn’t need a lead in. it should BE a lead in. i’ll miss 30 Rock, but i understand why they had to do it. writing a pregnant Liz Lemon in the show would have been a disaster.

20. Anthony says:

With the looks of this awful schedule, NBC could stand for
    Nothing But Cancelations come November 1st.

Don’t see how people can complain about Chuck..Does it really matter what night it’s on? This isn’t 2002 anymore, everyone has a DVR. The ratings don’t matter since it’s the final season. As a Chuck fan, I’m still thankful to get 5 seasons, still can’t believe it survived the writer’s strike 3 years ago.

Figures the only show that looks semi decent doesn’t premiere until Midseason (The Firm).. Then again if it was that great, it would be premiering in September.

• Alice says:

I dunno, there have been some very successful mid-season replacements- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Grey’s Anatomy, The Office to name a few.

21. Susan B says:

Am I the only one who will miss The Event?? I am sad that it won’t return and now we will have to come up with our own end to the story??. NBC is doing the same thing CBS did with cancelling Jericho. You get hooked on a show and then its gone.

22. billk says:

Sunday Night Football. Everything else is compost.

23. Mick says:

NBC why would you put GRIMM on Fridays against Fringe and why don’t you move Parenthood behind the Sing-Off much better fit and then Prime Suspect at 10 after all those comedies. Prime Suspect should have been paired up with SVU. Alas I knew when they had a good pilot season something else would go wrong.

24. Mia says:

Wait so Smash the pilot of the bunch is coming on mid season NBC what are you thinking. It was THE pilot that got raves from every reviewer why isn’t The Playboy Club midseason and smash paired up with the voice. Weird, it is like not having glee paired up with American Idol.

25. j says:

Why would you put a drama like prime suspect on Th after a bunch of comedies. Makes no sense. Chuck would maybe have fit there better. This whole lineup is pretty lame.

26. jennifer says:

Once again,nbc continues to dissapoint the fans.I was actually really starting to enjoy “the event”-really starting to get into it & what do these idiots do?-cancel the show. These networks have to stop having shows like “the event”not air for months at a time-that kills the ratings.The biggest reason ratings went down for “the event”was because viewers had to wait so long to watch it again.Also,while it was gone,they put on “the cape”-which basically noone watched.The only thing I will watch on nbc now will be “harry’s law”-that is until they eventually do something stupid & cancel that wonderful program also! nbc must stand for:nobody’s been caring…thank you 4 posting my comments.

27. ryaneco says:

WHY move Parks & Rec it was doing solid numbers at 9.30 and a good-lead out from the Office.

Absolutely love Community & Parks and Rec two of the best comedies on TV.

28. Dan feairheller says:

Yes chucks back best show ever! :)

29. Kathy says:

Liked Outsourced. Love 30 Rock. Doesn’t anyone know how to have a good time anymore? So far the lineup tonight has been of no comedic value.

30. intentsly says:

Chuck still exists? Figures The Event got cancelled, they had no idea how to continue the mess they made!

31. Joanne Torku says:

I hate that Chuck is moving to Friday. Everyone knows that Friday and Saturdays are where TV shows go to die. I love Fringe too and I wish they would move back to Thursday. The only show I will be watch on NBC after Chuck is done is DOOLS, Parenthood, Friends With Benefits.

32. mattho says:

Thanks 4 thur night comedy, 8pm till 10 pm best night on tv from any channel, but its all you got me for other than snl so plz dont mess with it, as for Whitney-I wanted it to be good but we cant always get what we want! need my 30 rock back good luck Tina Fey

33. Laughable says:

You stopped watching tv so you could focus in trolling the web. That’s a MUCH better use of your time.