Idoloonies: Stefano Langone Talks Piano Skills, 'Hello,' and Gordon Ramsay's Bad Behavior

During his American Idol run, Stefano Langone refused to play piano during live telecasts, was reluctant to discuss his backstory of being in a horrific car crash, and didn’t get stressed about tackling Lionel Richie’s “Hello” — despite the fact that it provided a major “moment” for Season 7 champ David Cook. In his freewheeling Idoloonies interview, Stefano dives into all these topics, plus his fantastic Wild Card performance of “I Need You Now,” his peculiar pronunciation of “ballerina,” the night Gordon Ramsay insulted his mother’s cooking, and why he was smiling the night he left the Idol stage as a seventh-place finisher. Press play below to watch the interview, then head to the comments to discuss. And for all my Idol interviews and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Loading video...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Well he sure does think a lot of himself, I give him credit, he definetly believes in himself, he doesn’t care that he sang one of David Cook’s best songs, he takes on the producers, says that he murdered a song. Good for him. I liked Stefano for awhile, but as he said, I kind of resented the fact that he stayed and Pia left. Wasn’t his fault, but everything kind of changed for me there, plus he really didn’t have a break out unbelieveble performance after that, yet the judges called him magic and a superstar. It was strange. 7th place is about right for Stefano.

• aww says:

Stefano and Paul left too soon. Just because they had flaws, doesn’t mean that they had no star performing qualities.

2. wooster182 says:

That was the douchiest thing you’ve ever seen on the show? Please tell me you had this interview before Randy said everyone but Haley was his favorite…

3. David says:

They should have Gordon Ramsay as a judge on Idol. He would sure fix all of the problems with the judging panel being too nice and not providing the proper feedback. He would probably make Simon ask him to tone it down!!

4. bto says:

wow he sure looked quite cocky in this interview, thinking he’s the greatest ever! I’ll very suprised if we ever hear from him again

5. Gary says:

You know I didn’t mind him during the show. I didn’t think he was great for most of his performances, but here he comes off as really obnoxious. A little humility goes a long way, and constantly talking about how great your vocals were, or how your weird pronunciations are going to define you as a succesful artist is not cool.

• Rebecca Parker says:

This. You said pretty much everything I was going to.

• Brittany says:

Ditto. I didn’t think his “End of the Road” was an Idol moment for him, but apparently he does. I also don’t think he killed “Hello” vocally at all…

• JayK* says:

I totally agree. I think if he had come across as this full of himself on the show he wouldn’t have made it to 7! Really turned me off Stefano.

• Octodad says:

^^^ This.

He needs to keep in mind that he isn’t a superstar – he’s just a 7th place finisher on a reality show. He has a long way to go before he’ll be considered relevant as a recording artist. He couldn’t even beat (ugh) Jacob Lusk. Hopefully he’ll keep his room-sized ego (and weirdly bulging neck veins) in check going forward.

• Emma says:

I’m eager to see Jacob’s TV line interview, to see his ego spewing things like “I appeal to everyone” and “everyone has fallen in love with me”. And Slezak will let him hang himself with his positively neutral feedback :)

• Emy says:

Go watch his MTV interview with Jim Cantiello. He comes off really humble and funny and just wacky.

• Lilly says:

Not only is Jacob humble in his interview with Jim Cantiello, but unlike Stefano, he is very aware of his flaws, and what he needs to work on to become a better singer.

• Dan says:

Agreed– and it’s cute how naive he is about the future…

6. SC says:

What an egotistical little twerp. Ugh.

7. Tony says:

I definitely miss Stefano’s presence on Idol. But you know, it looks like he’s confident and knows what he needs to do now, so I’m eager to see what he makes out of his run on Idol. I hope Interscope picks him up.

8. Andy says:

Wow, the show did a good job of giving this dbag a generous edit.

• Danielle Notaro says:

My first thought- I totally forgot about this kid

Second thought, Andy-hahaha-you hit the nail on the head.

• Emma says:

Right on point! For him it could have been a good thing to be dropped so early. Continuing, he would have had the chance to open his mouth and all these things would have come out for the audience to learn how unappealing he is.

9. tamara says:

I gotta say even though I never liked Stefano, him leaving was the only time I felt bad for someone going home (except Pia).

I felt he had killer vocals, best of the guys, even better than James. But he never chose the right songs for him. I think that’s what went wrong for him.

I get what you guys say about him coming off as douchy, but I take it as him showing that he hasn’t lost his confidence, and that he’s ready to keep fighting for his dream.
    Or maybe it’s just that he’s had to take a lot of crap in interviews, everybody mentioning the Pia thing, which was obviously not his fault.

Or…he has seen all the Idoloonies episodes, and he just didn’t like what Michael said about him.So that’s why he’s answering like that. Could be… :)

I don’t know, I don’t mind his attitude.

• djm says:

Sorry, but I think he’s fine in the interview. He absolutely HAS to believe in himself because let’s face it, if he doesn’t who will? In fact, if Lauren acted more like this I think I’d actually be able to stomach her a little more.

• Kai says:

Stefano is a fighter. He is confident in himself and will work hard to do what he needs to do to succeed in the business. I do think he needs to edit himself and think about how he coming off in interviews. When he says he never wanted to win…it makes sense. He doesn’t really fit the profile for THE idol, but he really should keep those things to himself. And by the way, he is confident because the producers and talent in the industry are interested in working with him. He could care less what the Haleyloonies have to say about his musical ability.

And by the way, it is clear that Slezak did not interview him in person, gave him a bad lighting and set up. He could really careless about him. I guarantee that you will not give Haley such non-chalant haphazard treatment!!

MISS YOU STEFANO!!!!!!

• ErixN says:

I don’t mind it either. I miss him. He had the best male vocal this season.

10. Joseph says:

I think a lot of people are not really getting Stephano,
    Lets get something straight okay? He has a great voice and was pretty good at hitting notes. He may not be as young as some of the singers but still he is only 22 years of age and did not watch all the past idol performances.
    What I got from him was that he joined Idol not to win but rather to get some exposure, I do think he made a mistake by not highlighting his instrument skills once the live show started. He based that decision on the belief he wanted to save some things for a post idol career but if the Piano is part of who he is then he should have shown that skill to build his future fan base.
    He also spoke about why the judges are not giving a critique to the younger performers not that I agree with the decision but at least it would make some sense.
    In any case wish him well and hope he gets a chance to blossom.

11. Lisa says:

I can’t lie. I liked Stefano on the show. During this interview, I just wanted to punch him.

12. Violet says:

This guy goes not have an ounce of humility. He thinks he is going to have this amazing career. I fear he is in for a rude awakening when he gets into the real music world. Maybe before he goes off to “the next level,” he should study the current careers of past Number 7 finishers [excluding Jennifer Hudson].

13. Jo says:

He came off as a prick in this interview. I find it almost shameful that he has such a pop/r&b influence and has never heard Hello. Someone should teach Stefano that a little humility goes a long way.

14. Pat says:

Good Lord is he cocky or what?

15. ladyhelix says:

Not as smug/defensive as Scotty Macintyre … but I had hoped he would smile more.

Stefano – Just relax and enjoy this. And you really should take a look at what David Cook did with … it was intimate, raw, and powerful – without trying too hard.

• Jamie says:

Ahhhrggg! Please stop leaving links to DC performances! I get there and then have to watch them all again & I have stuff to do!!

That season of Idol was THE BEST EVER! David’s performances, his winning, his hometown visit vid, his journey vid, the finale w/ his duet with Archie, ZZ Top,–even the little things like Camryn Manheim’s reaction to his win in the audience & David bringing the other idols on stage with him while he sang—The whole damn package. The excitement and emotion was so friggin fantastic. My favorite comment on the utube vid of the Finale I watched was “This never gets old!”
      They’re right!

I’d give just about anything for a DVD of that entire season. Season 9, too.

16. Blair says:

Stefano was actually sent to Redemption Island, won all the challenges, and now his bro-mance partner, James can join him on it. …let’s see who wins LOL!

17. Octodad says:

Just listened to the interview.
    Stefano is definitely not going to win many fans with an attitude like THAT. There’s confidence, and then there’s arrogance. I felt he crossed the line into arrogance about 15 seconds into the interview, and never looked back. How many times did he mention that he “murdered” those vocals, BTW?
    He has to remember that he only made it to 7th place on a reality show. He got exposure, but IMO it only showed me several things I DIDN’T want, and not a lot that I did.
    It often felt he wasn’t singing the song – he was drilling it into my facial, Orin-Scrivello style. The bulging neck veins, the cavernous-mouth vocals – not attractive.
    And despite his insistence of his musical ability, I didn’t see much in the way of inventiveness when it came to switching up the songs, beyond the insertion of unnecessary runs. Where was the creativity?
    He has a ways to go before the music industry is going to take him seriously on the creative end.
    He did give great vocals, though.

• Tusk says:

I can almost forgive his cockiness/confidence being from and italian family. However, I don’t agree that he had good vocals, at least to my taste, the nasally, oddly accented lyric, straining way he sang was like Jacob Lite. He and Jacob always looked like they were straining for every note only to collapse from exhaustion….can’t imagine a whole CD or concert of that.

Also, the whole JLO “you can do know wrong ’cause you’re MY STEFANO” thing really turned me off. She always had that “don’t worry, I got your back, Stefano” look after every performance. Nauseating.

18. Nikkitita says:

Stefano, Stefano, Stefano.
    He wasn’t exactly a favorite of mine while he was still on the show. He does have a good, radio-friendly voice and quite marketable which was why I wanted him to go further because that would make recording studios, producers take notice of what he has to offer in the world of (pop) music. But after seeing this interview, I must say I’m definitely turned off. I must commend him though for really believing in his talent and ‘artistry.’ You got to believe in what your selling, right? But to me he comes off as quite douchey/arrogant/full of himself/ungrateful. And maybe there are a number of reasons to make sense of all these.
    1. Maybe he’s done interview after interview and is just really tired. I refuse to think he wasn’t feeling Slezak because he has always been respectful (& professional) of whoever he was interviewing.
    2. Maybe he’s tired of the Pia questions, but then again it came toward the end, right?
    3. Maybe he’s just tired of Idol. He got the exposure he needed and maybe, just maybe, wants to talk about anything apart from the show.

19. Tara says:

This interview does nothing for Stefano. He comes across very cocky and not at all appealing.

20. Rick says:

The interview did not bother me but I could see how it might have others. I believe he’s just pissed off about all the things that were written and said and was addressing them. To me he had the most radio ready tone, truly a great singer. I do think he’s an idiot to not break out the piano and flip a song. He needed that because he was in the bottom 3 practically ever week. Haley was in the same boat until her performance of Benny and the Jets. Even though his singing was near perfect it just felt like he was singing the same song every week which made him boring. He should have finished higher, oh well.

• tamara says:

You said exactly what I

• tamara says:

You said exactly what I think.
      His songs sounded exactly the same every single week. That’s why after 2 weeks I didn’t like him. Killer vocals, but poor song choice&style.

If he would have played the piano and done something different with the song I bet he’d have gotten far, and we’d have seen his true talent.

Not many people will care what he does now. His moment is gone.
      And if he does interviews the same way he did this one, he’s over.

• BellevueTechie says:

Well, if we’re gonna talk about someone who sounds the same every week, we need go no further than Scotty (yawn). I don’t like country, so maybe I’m biased but I don’t think he’s brought anything new to the table since “baby lock the door.”

To me Stefano is a typical 22-year old: talented and full of idealism and self-confidence. He’ll get bashed around for a while and lose some of the hubris. I think he’s got a lot of musicality and a great sense of pitch. His voice is kind of a combination of Marc Anthony and Stevie Wonder, very lyrical. I’d definitely buy his recordings.

• Buster Cretin says:

Yeah, I don’t really mind the attitude either. The guy sang well and he knows it. I think his strategy was misguided, though. I can see where some people would be turned off, but I have to agree with the guy on all points where he says he killed a song. He really did kill it. In a season where everyone but the most deserving are getting praise, it’s good to hear some people know they did well whether or not they got positive feedback.

21. CC says:

Stefano said it right. His voice is unique and if he came on the radio you would know it was him. He is YOUNG and and has an opinion of what the show did for him. Just like James who thinks he is out to save metal and Jacob who felt if he didn’t make the next round it was because America needed to look in the mirror. Or Pia who despite being told by Nigel that she was never a frontrunner still feels she was robbed of the win. What about Haley’s comment to Randy? Or Casey turning into the growler because JLo made the mistake of saying he was sexy. I respect Stefano’s decision to only play piano if he is singing a song that he wrote himself and not when doing a cover version of someone else. He has a right to do that if he wants. Stefano probably has the most radio friendly voice this season of all the contestants. I wish him luck in his career as I do all the other kids. It takes confidence and back bone to be in this business. Stefano has both along with good work ethic and willingness to listen. He will do well.

22. Emma says:

It was pretty ballsy for him to say that he decided to keep from performing covers with piano. Too bad that he comes off as over confident twerp in the rest of the interview. No self-reflection at all. He didn’t know “Hello”, he didn’t know that Cook had performed, and that’s all he has to say about his limited knowledge? That he doesn’t care?

Dude, you’ll be waiting for those Grammys for a long time.

• Rick says:

I thought he was real straight forward and honest, he poked fun at himself and admitted making mistakes. I like people like this instead of all the PC douche bags we have in this country.

• SallyinChicago says:

Agree w/@Rick. I like Stef and I liked Paul. They seemed to be the most mature and took the show for what it was. And are using it as a platform to get to the next level.

• Buster Cretin says:

YES! I’ll take this any day over the woe is me “I’m just Lauren” crap.

• Genie says:

Me too Buster but judging from this board there are many people very uncomfortable with folks being honest. They dig the false humility, it’s disturbing.

• CC says:

Do you remember every song that every contestant has done or even all the ones that Cook did? Probably not. So it’s really not a crime that he didn’t know that song or that Cook had sung it on Idol. Vocally he was one of the best contestants just lacked on delivery and stage presence. That will come with time. At least he has JLo, Marc Anthony and a whole lot of others who believe in him. He’ll do ok. His interview was very honest.

• Julie says:

Besides his good ear for pitch, he had little musicality to his singing. That’s the problem.

• Nat says:

Look, if I was a contestant on Idol, I would *most definitely* check if any previous contestant had done my song choice and how well it was received. Idol fans have good memories, and they often do hold repeats against someone (What Not to Sing did a study showing the more times a song has been done on Idol, the more likely a person is to go home if they sing it).

• SallyinChicago says:

@Nat: Did you think that maybe they don’t have time during the rehearsals, commercial shoots, meeting with producers, etc. to know about previous seasons? I don’t remember the previous seasons that well and I’ve watched them all!

• Nat says:

Let’s not get pedantic. It would literally take two minutes to check, especially when you’re only preparing one song a week.

• Buster Cretin says:

Ooooh Sally in Chicago knows the word Pedantic.
            What she obviously doesn’t know is what it’s like to be in a room with big record producers hovering over your shoulders for 2 hours trying to pick a song. Hey Sally- you have no idea what these kids go through and unless you’re familiar with the show there is no way to know in two minutes if a song had any real significance for a previous idol. “uh, excuse me Jimmy, before I agree to this I need to check YouTube”.

Yeah, getting an Idol History Lesson is not in the cards. Freakin DUH

• Buster Cretin says:

Sorry Sally!

Nat is the dope!

Nat’s nuts got me so twitterpated I misread.

nat’s nuts!

My dear Sally in Chicago, could you ever forgive this quick to type fool?

• SallyinChicago says:

Good interview.
      If Stef didn’t have an ego, he would be “Lauren” – fearful, unsure, scared. I like Stef. He may not make it as a singer, but as a songwriter, I betcha he has producers knocking on his door.

23. julie says:

Too bad we never get to see their personalities on the show. I like Stephano’s “Italian-Spanish household” spunk. I do agree, he is OVER confident… but this goes with being young — I think in his case it comes from knowing he’s worked hard to grow the abilities he has, even if he doesn’t quite yet realize how much more he has to grow. BUT it seems EVERYONE this season has been coming out of there with a huge ego swelled rather than tempered by the experience. And we know who’s to blame for that! In any case, the real Stefano has much more to him then we ever got to see on TV.

• Julie says:

But Michael Slezak and Idoloonies Producers — I miss the conversational format of the old interviews…. are these done via skype or video conferencing? People complain about Stafano not smiling… I’m sure there would have been more smiles and levity had you been in a room together!

• The Ween says:

I totally agree; the format of these interviews is lacking any spark. Back in the day, they were of great quality. Maybe a little increase in budget so we can have two cameras and Slezak and the interviewee in the same room?

24. Julie says:

OK, So can we have the Casey interview now???

25. Louis says:

ugh slezak. everytime you gave him even a small compliment, i was like “oh god here comes more cockiness.” i knew he really was like this, even when he tried to portray his image on the show. have fun getting those grammys next year, ste-fun-oh!!!1!!11!!

26. Eurydice says:

I don’t have a problem with Stephano being cocky. The music business will kick a lot of that out of him, so he’ll need an extra dose of ego just to stay normal.

27. NedPepper says:

Well, that proved the point I made when he was on the show. Stefano is a giant tool. Maybe he can get a gig on the Jersey Shore. That’s one giant massive ego. Ugh. It’s time for you to go away now. And come out of the closet, dude.

28. Jamie says:

Really not interested in this kid at all. And I miss the Idolatry interview format which was more intimate and conversational, with you (Michael) & the bootee hanging out in an empty bar.

Not complaining, though. Well, maybe a little.

• ladyhelix says:

I think they usually save the bar for the top 3 (or 4). I recall #5-Matt G. making fun of the “fancy studio” (office) at EW.

29. GSOgymrat says:

Interesting all these comments about Stephano being “cocky” and Haley having “a bad attitude”. It is obvious that being anything other than humble and gracious doesn’t fly well with viewers. Future Idol contestants take note.

• SallyinChicago says:

^ LOL.

So true. All I see in these contestants is a lot of bravura, a lot of assuredness….because if they didn’t believe, what would they have?

30. phredd! says:

That freeze frame on the video is HIGH-larious!!! He looks stoned!

31. RealityCheck says:

I love Stefano and I saw him as a confident young man during this interview, which is a good thing. Confidence threatens some people so they dismiss it as arrogance. He didn’t say anything that wasn’t true, he can sing, he can sing really well and compared to some of the others he did “murder” his song. I wish him well! Now I am rooting for Haley!

32. Tahoe Mike says:

Stefanjaya still sucks.

33. Kari G says:

I have to agree with everyone else’s postings. Many times I thought Stefano did quite well on the show and many times I thought he didn’t. Now I find that his over arrogance is a complete turn off. I agree that I don’t mind confidence but his extends beyond that. The other thing that really stuck out in my mind from this interview was his reaction to Pia’s exit. I really thought he was upset b/c he knew that it should have been him instead of her. He just confirmed that the main reason he was upset was because of how her ouster would affect him with voters. Unbelievable. I also would have enjoyed getting more of a feel as to how Michael felt this interview went. Good-bye Stefano! Here’s hoping to never seeing you again.

34. Yo says:

Everyone’s a critic! Why should Stefano not be confident, he has a remarkable gift! I feel sorry that these contestants are so defined by packages, Idol will suck their souls if convenient. I respect wanting to keep certain things private; when people sell too much of themselves, they lose themselves. I am almost sorry two young contestants are the last ones standing, exactly because of the tendency by judges not to criticize the young: It would be stomping puppies. It distorts the contest. Good luck to Stephano!

• Bat Country says:

Well, quiet confidence (see: David Cook) is easier to tolerate than, “Man, am I the greatest or what?” egoism that Stefano is exuding here.

35. WillB says:

I feel kind of bad for Idols who really think being a midpack contestant on a reality show is a good way to get onto a record label. Stefano will spend maybe a couple more years trying to make it as a musician before he realizes he didn’t do himself any favors.

• Buster Cretin says:

But you have no idea if the guy is a good song writer, do you?

Or, maybe you just don’t realize how much money there is in songwriting.

We have no idea what he’s capable of dude.

36. Georgia says:

Another great interview that makes me like a contestant better than I did during the competition. I didn’t vote for Stefano, but he has the talent to be successful in the industry. Good for him for his self-confidence.

• Tom K says:

The very best performers, athletes, etc. KNOW they are good. I see nothing wrong with Stefano’s confidence, or how sassy Haley is, etc.

37. Bee says:

The repeated banging on the table, his posture, his stank-cocky attitude….this guy is SO unappealing and douche-y. I can’t believe the producers edited the real him out of their footage. This show is bogus (has been for a while now…)

38. dctoronto says:

Loved the interview. Good for him to be demonstrating his confidence and assertiveness. It’s interesting this year that a number of the contestants have spoken about their disagreements with the producers, the judges and/or Iovine. I like this a lot more than coming off as passive.

39. Rick says:

Okay people, it’s amazing to me that so many can judge this guys personality by one 10 minute interview in which pointed questions were asked that would certainly boil anyone’s blood. Especially if you are being interviewed by someone who ripped you a new one. This guy has fire and passion for what he is doing and he’s got the chops to back it up. Only his real friends and the other idols in that house could tell you what this guy is really like. My oldest daughter is a performer and if you friended her you’d like her and you wouldn’t even know the entertainment side of her. However, if you criticized her or asked her pointed questions about a weakness in her performance (that wasn’t true, like you missed a verse when she didn’t)she’s going to come off like a Lion protecting her Cubs. It takes a huge ego and a sheet of armor to make it in this business. Someone like Pia or Katie Stevens will be eaten alive.

• karenb says:

I think Stefano’s confidence is refreshing. I think it’s great he can take the criticism unlike another contestant who about lost her mind when she was in the Bottom 2-once!

Another thing about his confidence, or “cockiness,” as some people would call it…Stefano is obviously quite resilient, having survived a terrible car crash. I’m sure his positive thinking was a major help in his recovery, and will help him as he pursues his career.

I like the guy. So sue me.

40. Danielle says:

Yeah, we’ll see you again Stefano. As somebody’s back-up singer. Dude, please.

41. Name That Tune says:

The only thing I got out of this interview is what we already know. The judges/mentors are being soft on certain contestants because they can’t handle it emotionally.
    Really blows the credibility of the show.

• Joe Strummer says:

That’s what I got out of it. So the Lauren’s and Scotty’s and Even Pia get a free ride because they can’t take criticism emotionally? If they can’t take it, maybe they shouldn’t be in this business. It also makes them think they’re superstars with nothing to work on.

I remember the first time Steven criticized Lauren just a little. He said he wished it was just a little more kick ass. The waterworks started and she was an emotional wreck. From then on it’s only been about how “great” Lauren is. Well, she’s not great. She is a technically good singer that would be ok in a theme park or a cruise ship and that’s that. She does NOT have the IT factor and would never ever make it as someone that people would pay to see live.

The problem is, after the show, like the previous contestants that were voted off, she actually thinks she’ll have a recording career. She does not. If she does get lucky enough to be signed, she won’t sell 50,000 copies of her CD.

42. Jenny says:

There is one thing about being confident, but Stefano is over the top that it comes of as arrogance. And seriously has he ever watched this show that he didn’t at least know “Hello” was a moment for David Cook.

43. Tuzo says:

Wow. More so than any other contestant I’ve seen he comes off in a totally different light then he did when he was on the show. (And not in a good way.)

44. inmytimeofdying says:

I’m slightly worried about what might be the remnant of
    a herpes sore under his lower lip.

45. Deb says:

Michael, I agree, that wild card performance was probably the single best male vocal of the season but that is also became part of his problem. When your song to get on the show is your strongest, you are in trouble. You need to show progression on idol and he never lived up to the promise that song made.
    That said, he was responsible for Pia’s ouster, that her fault for failing to inspire voters to pick up the phone and dial in for her. Don’t get me wrong, technically she was probably the strongest contestant this season, but she is not a compelling artist. Then again, who was?

46. ohreli says:

So he is confident and ambitious. Which successful Idols arent? “Cocky” is a negative interpretation about someones character that can be very false (its usually a “projection”, to get Freudian for a moment).

He seems to have been very much liked among his fellow Idols, and that is a more accurate test of one’s character. If good people like you, that shows you are a nice, friendly person.

47. Misha says:

arrogant much? Frankly, his voice reminded of David Archuleta…but I like David A.’s tone much better…and I SURE like DA’s attitude better!! Stefano will be lucky if the public ever hears of him again. With an attitude like that around Hollywood, he won’t get very far. “Didn’t care” that someone else had a moment with a song…”didn’t know” the song or anything about Lionel Richie, I would wager…that would explain why he came off like a lounge singer. Good riddance to this.

• Amy says:

Please don’t even put those two names in the same post.
      SL is not in the same league, not the same universe as
      David Archuleta, vocally. Not many are. Not to mention his character as a person.

• Jim says:

If you said “Michael Jackson” or “Celine Dion” instead of “David Archuleta,” I might give some consideration to this comment, but when you’re referring to the teenager who is currently so popular that he only puts out Christmas albums, I have trouble taking you seriously.

48. darcy's evil twin says:

I’m surprised everyone thinks Stephano comes off as being “full of himself” and cocky. I didn’t get that at all. He’s very confident and knows what he wants. You don’t get to be a “seventh place finisher” on American Idol without confidence and self-awareness.
    One really interesting part of the interview were his comments about the judges and how they were easier on the younger kids (Stephano’s words).

49. Mara says:

mmm. Not a good interview.
    He did come off unlikable and arrogant. There was no thanking of fans or smiling.
    He was definitely just a David Archuleta 2.0… at best.

• Suzanne says:

I don’t think he’s very much like David Archuleta at all, other than the height and appearance slightly.

The problem with Stefano are all the comments about this future career as if they are fact. “That song will be big for me later in my career.” It’s no humility at all.

50. Suzanne says:

I love these re-cap interviews. I love knowing what the singers were planning/thinking with each of the choices they made. Thx Idoloonies.

As for Stephano’s personality–I grew up with guys from the Italian North End of Boston–and he sounds a lot like them. I’m sure he thinks he’s just being honest and genuine but he comes off as self-absorbed.