Exclusive

Law & Order: SVU Scoop: Hargitay Inks New Deal, Jennifer Love Hewitt May Succeed Her

Just in time for NBC’s upfront presentation on Monday, Law & Order:SVU star Mariska Hargitay has closed a new deal to return for its upcoming 13th season — but there’s a catch.

Around midseason, Hargitay’s Olivia Benson will pass the baton on to a new female detective — possibly played by Jennifer Love Hewitt. Meanwhile, SVU‘s leading man Christopher Meloni still has no deal for next season.

Going into the contract negotiations, Hargitay had asked to scale back her workload on the show. The producers granted her request, reducing her hours but keeping her salary roughly the same at $385,000 an episode. For the first 13 episodes, Hargitay’s character will continue to solve sex crimes alongside Elliot Stabler, pending Meloni closing his deal. Then Benson will be promoted to a supervisor position, with a new female detective taking her place. That is the role that producers are eying for Hewitt, who, ironically, guest-starred on SVU last fall as a rape victim.

As for Meloni, whose current salary is the same as Hargitay’s, I hear the actor is seeking a raise. Talks with NBC, however, are moving slowly, so it doesn’t look like he will have a deal before NBC’s upfront. The last time Hargitay and Meloni’s contracts were up two years ago they didn’t sign new pacts until the end of June.

Thoughts? Hit the comments!

1. Tom says:

How many more raises does Meloni need? They might as well start paying him what they paid Charlie Sheen.

• Joe B. says:

Tom, now imagine Chris Meloni coming to your work and commenting on your pay package.

We need as many raises as the people with the money will give us. I don’t think what other people thinks really matters.

Unless we’re paying that salary.

• jmk says:

Excellent response, Joe! I agree with you 100%

• maggie says:

Joe, your comment only makes sense if Tom went to Meloni’s job and commented on his pay package.
        This is a story about Hargitay & Meloni’s contract negotiations, and at the end they ask for comments. Tom was commenting on the story.

• Joe Jackson says:

But ratings is down and he wants a raise.

• Martin says:

There are such double standards in the comments here. Mariska is going to be paid per ep the same as she is now, for less work. Therefore she has got a raise herself. Chris would be crazy not to ask for comparable pay. Chris may not have the hype surrounding him that MH has. but it is his solid performances each week that have kept me watching. If he decides to leave I would love to see him on a show with the calibre of Oz again. SVU has been dwindling in quality for years, mainly due I feel to TPTB award-chasing for both MH and their female guest stars. If Chris does stay we can only hope that Warren Leight looks can see the benefit in the ensemble cast of seasons 1-6.
          I am unsure how long the show could go on anyway with the cast ageing. Both Cragen and Munch should be near retirement.

• Celia says:

Absolutely!! Unless of course you’re one of the homeless or starving families that have done everything they could do & got beheaded by the economy!

• Not Impressed says:

You are kind-of an idiot right? You do the comparo of 385,000 vs 1.2 million.

Put this another way… an entire season will earn (before the 50% split with agents and managers and tax…) 5 million That is what Chuck made to do FOUR shows.

So again… you are kind of an idiot right?

• Michael says:

He’s the idiot? Let me find a mirror…or a pot, so it can say hi to you, kettle. I loathe Charlie Sheen, but he makes 1.2 million per eppy because his show is the most watched comedy on tv and much, much, much more profitable than SVU. Only an “idiot” would draw a comparison with out the numbers and some context.

• Suncatcher says:

Sheen was making $1.8 million per – and asking for almost $4 million for next season. (Before they fired him).

• Suncatcher says:

PS – And Sheen was only doing a half hour show; Hargitay and Melloni do a one hour program…

• Michael says:

right…30 minute comedies are cheaper to make than 1 hour dramas with stunt men and crap blowing up. The could afford the 1.8 and probably could afford the 4 mill. I’m not justifying the payment, but we all know that 18-49 rules the world. Chris Meloni, considering his audience and the expenses for the show, is making bank.

• sheila says:

the whole thing w/svu is meloni & hargitay. w/o them the show is not a show and if they do replace her w/jennifer love hewitt i will no longer watch this show which i watched from the very beginning. if they replace hargitay with katie sackoff i would certainly give it a try. jennifer love hewitt–really??????

• carolyn says:

I agree. Sounds very yucky. That would only leave Law & Order UK left worth watching.

• NoWay says:

When they replaced “Goren and Eames” on Criminal Intent, i stopped watching the following season. Not because i don’t like the other actors, but because it was about Goren and Eames for me. Without Benson and Stabler, i won’t be watching. I really don’t want JL Hewitt as a “replacement” but that’s just me. I’m sure she has other fans who support it. i’m just not one. darn darn darn!

• Sarah says:

Totally agree. I’ve been watching this show for years now- without Benson & Stabler the whole concrete base of the show vanishes, and so would a lot of viewers.

I’d find it really hard to continue to watch this show without them as a pair- it wouldn’t be the same and would feel forced.

• Justine says:

I’m sick of the main characters being replaced. Without Benson/Stainbler it’s a new show and JL Hewitt would not be realistic because she would not meet the standards to become a police officer/detective. Its as dumb as CSI without Peterson and warrick. I have watched from the beginning but that would be the end. And why can’t actors just be grateful that they have jobs?

• Emma says:

Gotta agree. SVU’s formula is waaaay too engraved to be changing now — esspecially considering the popularity of Hargitay’s character. Look at the reaction when Dani Beck was in for like four episodes, even though people knew Hargitay was coming back!
          I can’t imagine this going down well at ALL. Possible scenarios: this is (hopefully) wildly exaggerated and Hargitay will be in it for most of the season, it’s not an exaggeration and the show is screwed/ends soon, or the bosses re-think this and offer Mariska whatever the hell she wants in terms of money. It’s not as good a show as it used to be, but it won’t survive with a cast change.

• cindy says:

replacing MH pisses me off. i only watch the show mainly for her alone. partly for CM too, but like sheila, i will probably not watch svu anymore with anyother person but MH. this takes me back to season 8 when she was pregers and Dani Beck was there. ps, i disliked that season for MH’s absence

• grace kempton says:

soo sad , although i love hewit the show is Mariska and chis, i’m devestated this has been my fav for yrs and i love it /cross off my list …goodbye mariska good bye svu

• Rob says:

Katie Sackhoff would be a really interesting actress for this show. I think she is awesome and would definitely keep watching if she replaced Mariska.

• Gene Mcdonald says:

Jennifer Love Hewitt??? She is too too sweet looking!!!

• Yuddi_mh says:

AGREE!!!

• Celia says:

I can’t even imagine this show without Mariska or Christopher!!!!!!!!!!!!! Idk if I’d even watch it without him & definately not every episode 15 times!

• ..gff...js says:

This is not true any more!!! Chris is staying!!!

• ..gff...js says:

This is not true any more!!! Chris is staying!!! From a new article!

• Amity says:

i just think if these actors are making millions for their bosses why shouldnt they be entitled to as much as possible..its no different to my husband who is in sales making millions for his boss then getting compensated for it…on a grander scale of course..

2. Norissima says:

I want Katee Sackoff as replacement. Thanks to Mariska for giving us all the years of good TV.

• sara says:

I agree, this would be a great place for Katee Sackoff to work for a while. She’s no stranger to heavy material and has fantastic range. She wouldn’t be the first BSG alum to land in a L&O franchise.

As for Jennifer Love Hewitt? Really? Will she solve the crimes by talking to spirits? I don’t think I could take her seriously in that role.

• Blake says:

I’d much prefer Katee to J.Love, but honestly the show is nothing without the Stabler/Benson partnership.

• Aurore says:

I agree. I would I stop watching long ago if not for Stabler/Benson partnership. This season had a lot of episode with just Stabler or just Benson and I found it really annoying.
          So I don’t think I will keep watching if they are not both in.
          And Jennifer Love Hewitt is a terrible choice. Not only did she already play a victim, but I really don’t see her as a svu cop. At least not a interesting one.

• Suncatcher says:

I TOTALLY agree with you about the last 2 seasons – we saw EITHER Benson or Stabler but rarely both. It was VERY annoying. I just stopped watching. As you say, we tuned in to see them TOGETHER. It was their chemistry that was attractive. Individually, meh.

• sara kenllen says:

Agreed. I think that if the elliot/olivia partnership ended I would stop watching and so would alot of fans.

• Dwigt says:

Jennifer Love Hewitt could replace Hargitay or get the melons part.

Sorry…

• Michael says:

She could play Mar’s boobs. That would take the load off of her back.

• Tom says:

That was so funny I forgot to laugh. This is one show that needs a shakeup in its cast. This is what kept the original L&O fresh and new. It might be interesting to see J. Love as a cop, though. She’d bring a new dynamic to the cast and the show.
            I like Ice-T and Richard Belzer where they are, but Belzer might actually be thinking about retirement soon. He’s as old as my dad already.

• IloveElliott says:

why Katey Sackoff?

• Carol says:

I agree! Katee Sackhoff would be perfect for “Law and Order: SVU.”

3. Jessica says:

One very, very long word. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! There is no SVU without Hargitay and Meloni, Benson and Stabler. End the show, if they both aren’t there, please.

• Russell says:

I totally agree with you. SVU won’t be SVU…I WILL stop watching if Mariska and Chris is not on there anymore. No one does it like those two dectectvies. Not only is Marika acting she is living and showing the passion she has on SVU with the Joyful Heart Foundation. NO Markiska and Chris? Then there should be a SVU!! palin and simple

• Desert Cat says:

I totally & completely agree with this sentiment. End the show. Hargitay & Meloni make the show what it is. Jennifer Love-Hewitt sucks beyond all reason and is one of the worst possible ideas the show’s producers could have pulled out of their rear ends.

• Lori says:

Completely agree. They should just end it.

• Ashley says:

I totally agree with you. WIthout them two being partners they mind as well just end the show. It was totally ruin everything. I don’t think i could even watch the show if there wasn’t the Benson and Stabler team. Benson and Stabler make SVU what it is today.

• Kayla says:

SERIOUSLY!!!! I am complete agreement with you and anyone else that will stop watching the show because you’re RIGHT. SVU is about Elliot and Olivia, or MH and CM….. without them it’s NOT SVU anymore. They go 12 YEARS together and then all of a sudden think it’s ok to change out the two MAIN characters and still have viewers??? NO STINKING WAY. I mean maybe if you live under a rock and haven’t watched SVU the past 12 years you could enjoy the show starting from season 13, but for those of us who have watched from the beginning, I’m sorry, we can’t do it. As for me personally, Law and Order SVU first aired when I was about 4-5 years old, and I’ve grown up watching it since I was little along with Criminal Intent. Now when they got rid of Gorem and Eimes in CI, me and my fam stopped watching. Ugh it makes me so mad and upset to think they’ll keep continuing the show, if they are going to get rid of the main characters and then it looks as if the supporting cast will also be retiring, just find a good way to end the show for all of us so we can be content with good closure for all of them, don’t make us long-time fans just have to stop watching after season 12. it’s really not fair at all….

4. Melissa says:

NO!!!!! Anyone but Jennifer love hewitt!!!!!!!!

5. BabyGoz says:

JLH played a victim recently didn’t she? Jeez they sure train cops quickly in NYC….

• Yotobari says:

That’s what I was thinking! She was in this year’s season as a vic, right? It wouldn’t really make sense…
      As much as I enjoyed her guest spot and think that she could definitely pull it off, there’s a huge continuality issue there. (Despite that always being ignored by TV shows anyway)

• Michael Sacal says:

How would JLH playing a detective after she played a victim be any different from Diane Neal playing Casey Novak after she played a rapist in the same show four seasons earlier?

• xav says:

Well, Diane Neal played a perp not long before she played Casey.

6. Mellie says:

Jennifer Love Hewitt was ON an episode of SVU as a victim. It would be ridiculous if she came on as a detective.

• Captian says:

She would probably come on as a different character. They do it all the time on television. CBS is probably trying to find something for her after canceling Ghost Whisperer.

• Mikey says:

I agree! I know L&O is famous for recycling their actors (Lt Van Buren was a victim in an early episode of orig L&O then came back YEARS later as the lieutenant), but to do so in such a short period of time is an insult to loyal viewers!! Not to mention that I just don’t see JLH as ‘cop’ material.

• Clarissa says:

Diane Neal played a rapist on SVU before she became ADA Casey Novak. Casey is the longest-running ADA with five years of being on the show…

• JessicaC says:

They did it with Diane Neal on SVU and with S. Epatha Merkerson on the original L&O. Both played other characters in an earlier episode before being cast in the show. It’s done all the time.

• Ryan says:

Diane Neal looked nothing like she did as a rapist at the time she joined. I knew she looked familiar but couldn’t place her. Nothing will be as weird though as one season finale having Jeremy Sisto as a lawyer, and the very next episode, a season premiere, he joined the cast as a cop.

• xav says:

They also did it with Jeremy Sisto on the original. He played a lawyer on the season 17 finale and was a completely different character in the season 18 opener. Not even an episode between character switches.

• veronica says:

Same with Jerry Orbach. I actually think he was on twice, as two different characters, before he was finally cast as Det. Brisco in the original.

• Michael Sacal says:

That’s who I was thinking of. I knew there was an actor who played two different characters on the same show two seasons apart but couldn’t remember who it was.

• Sarah says:

And Anthony Anderson, Milena Govich, Annie Parisse, Julianne Nicholson… the list goes on and on across the whole franchise. They also re-use guest stars as different characters – one guy played a dozen different characters in the original series. Casting JLH would be more following precedent than something new – in its heydey, actors knew that the way to get a regular role on any L&O was to impress as a guest star. However, casting JLH would be a HUGE mistake – not because she’s been a different character already, but because she’s a horrible actor.

• Not Impressed says:

Hey… it has been done constantly in the past… on MASH “SHERMAN POTTER” had come through as an insane general previously, on StarTrek… countless, on Hawaii 5-0 several of the 5-0 cops had been thugs… and on and on and on….

But let’s call this for what is really is…. the show has JUMPED THE SHARK!

• Rob says:

As mentioned a large number of L&O regulars started out as different characters in single episodes. People have pointed out Diane Neal and S. Epatha Merkerson, but Jerry Orbach played a lawyer named Frank Lehrman before he became Lenny Brisco, Annie Parese played a stripper before she played Asistant DA Borgia, Jeremy Sisko played a character named Clint Glover before he became Detective Lupo, and Melina Govich played a character named Geneva before she became Dective Cassidy. L&O has a long history of hiring former guest stars into new character roles as regulars.

7. Tracy says:

Uh hell no! It didn’t work when L&O CI replaced Goren and Eames with Logan & Falacci (amongst others).

• Rob says:

The mothership survived losing Chris Noth, Benjamin Bratt, Jerry Orbach and others. No one thought they will survive. I felt that L&O:CI didn’t work without Goren and Eames just because the chemistry wasn’t right with the new groups.

Chris Noth’s Logan didn’t fit the format at all. The CI format is more focused on the dectives who are supposed to be super sleuths. I like the Logan character, but you never looked at him as the great dective.

With Jeff Goldblum, I think he was just too weird for the show. Sometimes his weirdness is a home run like on Jurrasic Park, but in that show he was just offputting. Goldblum can be wonderful in the right vehicle, but this wasn’t the right vehicle for him.

If they replaced Gorem and Eames with different actors who fit the show format better and messed better, I think they might have been more successful. I think that is the case in SVU. Now I don’t think Jennifer Love Hewitt is the right person, but if they get a better actress it might work.

• Rowan says:

L&O survived cast changes because the show’s focus was almost always about the crime of the week and almost never about the detectives or DA’s. That was because it was two one-hour shows compressed into one. No frills, just story. L&O: CI didn’t work well without Goran and Eames because because it WAS as much about Goran’s nuttiness as it was about finding the bad guy. It’s a regular procedural with all the bells and whistles – as is SVU, so I think promoting the Olivia character and bringing in that bastion of low cut blouses and crap acting Jennifer Love Hewitt to be Eliot’s new partner is a monumentally bad idea.

8. ShortyMac says:

NOOOOOOOOO! It won’t be the same…WTF?

9. Jennifer says:

Diane Neal guest-starred on the show before she became the A.D.A. Jennifer Love Hewitt will obviously be playing a different character!

• Jake says:

Diane Neal wasn’t known the way JLH is and I’m pretty sure she wasn’t touted or promoted as much for her guest star role. She’s not right for this role.
      In other news do we get a full time ADA? Is Melissa Sagemiller coming back as a regular? I liked her the best.

• Josh says:

How do you know if JLH is right for the role? Has the role even been written or hashed out yet? Maybe they are writing a role she is right for…and maybe they know what they are doing.

10. Dana says:

Hewitt? Oh, please! Are you kidding?

11. KoleBigEars says:

If MH or CM aren’t on the show then the show will end. The quality will suffer and JLH is such a horrible choice the fans will run, not walk, to another channel/show (or nothing altogether.)

I know I will not watch the show after MH is gone…the chemistry between her and CM are what makes me enjoy it…cause it certainly isn’t the subject matter.

12. Michael says:

It would be no more ridiculous for that reason than the numerous other times an actor has appeared on an L&O show as one character, then later joined the show as a different character. It’s happened frequently throughout the history of the franchise. For SVU specifically, Diane Neal appeared in the third season as a rapist before being cast as Novak in season five.

• Kathi says:

The difference is that JLH is so well-known and immediately recognized, people might have thought …hmm where I have seen XXX … when someone like Diane Neal came on full-time but they didn’t immediately recognize and remember exactly which episode she had previously been on.

13. Ugh says:

No way. Sure there are Jennifer Love Hewitt fans but then again on the other hand there are probably more people that can’t stand her. Watch the ratings take a nose dive if she joins the cast. I myself will not be watching in that case.

14. Entertainment2u-Twitter says:

I for one cannot stand JLH and will stop watching. So let the producers know (ha).

When will these networks and producers let their shows die with grace?

TWO AND HALF MEN should have ended this season — they could have killed off Charlie and had a great retrospective clip show as the finale.

And L&0: SVU can have a shortened wrap-up season and end for good.

15. em says:

NO NO NO! I LOVE this show and I absolutely cannot STAND jennifer love hewitt.. both as an actress and as a personality. I’ll still watch, but very begrudgingly. And you KNOW her wardrobe is going to consist of low necklines to show off her cleavage. This is a TERRIBLE idea.

16. Lee says:

Key word in the headline: MAY

17. Robert says:

Not like they havn’t had people in multiple roles. A few years before Diane Neal became the ADA she was in an episode as a criminal.

18. Lima says:

Does this mean she wont be in it after S13 or we’ll just see her less?
    And she’s not gonna be Eliot’s partner any more?? urghh I CANT handle this!! :|

19. wsmeier says:

Its been a good long 13 years of SVU! Love Mariska! If shes not ont he show, I will def no longer watch it. I just hope they give her a good sendoff or keep her character mentioned if shes only going to appear in afew episodes after those first dozen or so. We need to know she has a good life. (alex cabot? LOL!)

20. DL says:

Is anyone actually reading the article? Hargitay isn’t leaving the show; she is taking on a reduced role in the latter half of the season.
    I do agree in the case of Hewitt though. And per Norissima’s comment, Katee Sackhoff would be a great replacement.

21. Tammy says:

LMAO!! Do the powers that be over on SVU think their veiwers are a bunch of idiots? Why would I want to see JLH in the role of a detective when her great turn as a rape victim is still fresh in my mind? I’m pretty sure there are other actors out there that could be brought in, maybe one that hasn’t been on the show before! SVU and all the Law & Orders are known for recycling actors but this would be so ridiculous that I’m pretty sure I would no longer watch the show. As for Chris Meloni, good for him if he decides to leave. It is obvious they don’t know what the hell they are doing over on that show and he might as well get out now. I just to love this show but lately it seems like they could give a rats ass about their fans. Dick Wolf/NBC etc, hardly even promote SVU. It is a sad state of affairs when they think this would be a good idea. I think they need to fire everyone over there that is behind the scenes and start fresh because the people thinking over there now are using one brain total!

• xav says:

Obviously they do and are right if you haven’t noticed by now that this is very common practice with Law & Order. Main characters on the show have played perps or vics before being cast again with no major problems. Pretty much every guest star on the show has played multiple roles on multiple L&Os.

• jessica says:

I am not a fan of JLH’S acting AT ALL, and was quite surprised at how well she did with her guest spot as a rape vic. for me, it would totally ruin it to bring her on as a completely diff character, nulling her prev great performance, esp. SO SOOn…

CM and MH MAKE THE SHOW. remember when elliot had a new partner fo a while, while MH was on maternity leave i think? it was horrible. elliot and benson belong TOGETHER, AS A TEAM, (platonically or not)…giving either one a new partner is a horrible idea, and will only leave audiences wanting them back together, rather than accepting a new partner.

if the show is going to go on w/out one of the leads (which, i don’t think it should), partner stabler up with finn. i’d MUCH rather see that than some young, big chested, totally unbelievable actress (whether it’s jlh or not) be paired with elliot.

22. Kayleigh says:

To everyone saying it’s stupid that they’re hiring JLH after she played a rape victim… SVU is notorious for recycling actors.
    There are many instances where an actor had a small part in a prior season but was later brought back as a main character, most notably with Diane Neal. Diane Neal played a rapist before she was ADA Casey Novak.

The only way they’re going to survive losing Meloni and Hargitay is if they bring back Casey or Cabot.

23. txn4life says:

Okay so if Liv gets promoted to a supervisor position does that mean that the Captain isn’t coming back next season? *scratches my head*

• Katrinka says:

I was wondering about Captain Cragen as well. Does Olivia becoming a supervisor mean less show time or no show time for her?

NBC better get their act together (yeah, right…like that’s going to happen) or before they know it they’ll be completely Law & Order-less for the first time in 20+ years.

• Travis says:

The way I am reading this, after the first 13 episodes she will remain but working less hours for same pay… that tells me her supervisory role would need to be within the SVU squad for her to remain with the show.. so replacing Cragen seems likely as not having to be out on street shooting most of the time means less working time… Hopefully Cragen gets promoted to something that will keep him around every once in awhile.

24. Amanda says:

I’m hoping this whole “passing of the torch” will just be how the series ends. Benson and Stabler get promoted and JLH or whoever is just there to show the 1-6 is left in good hands.

25. Summer says:

I like JLH, but I don’t think she has the sort of toughness that a role like this would require.

26. Alex says:

Yessssssssssss! My prayers have been answered!
    The only thing is that they’re promoting Benson, which is ridiculous. She and Stabler are terrible cops. If anyone should get promoted, it’s Munch, him being a Sargent and all. But anything that splits the Wonder Twins up is fine with me! (As long as that thing is NOT them getting together.)

• nygma619 says:

Terrible cops in what sense of the word?

• Alex says:

1. Constantly bring innocent men in, treat them as though guilty only for the man to be innocent- good cops would not be so hasty.
        2. Constantly assaulting suspects, which would get them thrown in jail not only in real life, but in any show that even tries to pretend to be realistic.
        3. Constantly threatening suspects with rape- completely unacceptable for sex crimes detectives.
        4. Refusing to believe male victims and treating them as though they are the guilty ones.
        5. Stalking suspects to obtain evidence.
        Yeah, they’re great cops who deserve a promotion, alright *eyeroll*
        6. Stalking victims to bully them into testifying.

27. Sean says:

Why would Chris accept being paid the same as MH per ep if he has to work more hours when they are usually paid the same?

28. Simone says:

For everyone commenting on Jennifer Love Hewitt played a victim last season, the actress who has played Casey Novack for years played another role before she came back as Casey and no one seemed to notice.

29. Tavis says:

I adore Love Hewitt but wouldn’t want to see her in this kind of role! Bring back Ghost Whisperer!!!

30. anonymous says:

As soon as Jennifer Love Hewitt takes over, I’m done–I really sick of being treated so badly as a L&O fan. Just kill it now, please. Really, just get rid of them all rather than jerking me around.

• xav says:

What do you mean, treated so badly? This has been standard practice for almost forty seasons of various Law & Orders. This show is in its nine millionth year and Mariska is obviously burned out if she wants more time off.

• Alex says:

She probably means the fact that Stabler hasn’t left his wife and decided he hates all five of his kids (well, four, since Eli is sooooo obviously not his son- everything from the tears in her eyes when Eli is born to the way she named Eli after Elliot so obviously means he is NOT Elliot’s child!) and wants to have sextuplets with his partner. TPTB are treating the fans soooo horribly, it’s soooooo obvious that Ellie and Wivvie are in wuv!!!eleventy

31. Alex says:

Also, it seems that this answers the question of who dies during the season finale…

32. Lorie says:

IMO, JLH doesn’t have the personality to play the tough detective.

33. Blake says:

Love JLH, watched Ghost Whisperer religiously for the first 2 years, but she is not detective material. Not in any way, shape or form. Sorry, but no. Replacements won’t work if MH and CM leave. Look at Criminal Intent!

34. xav says:

I’m probably in the minority but I think it’s time to just close the doors on SVU. It’s become a very sad parody of what it used to be, each storyline more ridiculous than the last while trying to set up the major “twist” in the last few moments. Best to end it on a high, especially when your leads are burned out.

35. Giselle says:

Oh God! Mariska leaving SVU! That´s definetly the end of the show!And no Chris Meloni either?? END! =( I don´t wanna watch it if Mariska isn´t there!!sad..

36. James says:

How is this show still on the air? Benson & Stabler are two of the worst detectives ever portrayed on TV.

Here is every episode of SVU: Horrible crime. Benson & Stabler investigate. Benson shouts at the top of her lungs about RAPE. They both shove the guy into a wall or on the floor. The perp is taken downtown where more screaming and sanctifying occurs. The captain or the DA comes in and surprise, the detectives have missed something. No apologies to the guy they let go. Munch and Fin do something. Benson & Stabler have to actually work harder to get the right guy. Benson breaks down for some stupid reason (probably to make us forget how bad of a detective she is). Somehow they actually get the guy. Benson and Stabler shout, believe it or not, they shout louder this time, probably because it’s the right guy this time. Shrink talks to the guy. Technobabble. The DA talks to her boss. Tension. Moral or legal ambiguity. The DA does something stupid. Benson comforts the DA for doing the “right” thing. Everyone is happy because the system, despite all the collateral damage, got the right guy off the street.

• xav says:

I often find myself wondering how they’re even cops. In this latest episode Stabler was over the line and breaking rules every three seconds.

• Alex says:

Agreed, both are terrible cops; they should leave because they got DEmoted or fired, not for getting PROmoted.

• Kathi says:

This is TV, not real life … we could rip apart each and every taken from real life type TV show and find fault with practically every word. SUV is better than most, especially the CSI franchise, it’s about as far from real life as you can get.

• nygma619 says:

Irrational hatred much?

37. Louise says:

L/O SVU won’t be the same with out both Stabler and Benson.as much as I love Meloni,don’t be greedy. I wouldn’t earn in20 yrs what he gets pet ep. But if Liv is being promoted maybe cragan does die , liv gets his job due to pregnancy with stabler??? So maybe they both stay, get together and have a kid. Think fans would be very happy with that. If one leaves then think they should cancel show but only before we get sone EO??

• Mary says:

As long as MH and CM get paid equally for the work they do. Either he gets a raise or she takes a cut!

• maggie says:

The story says that MH & CM currently make the same amount. She re-signed for next season at that same amount they were making last year. He hasn’t signed a contract yet for next year because he wants more. Understand? CM wants more money than MH.

• little miss says:

No, that is incorrect. CM wants more money because he will be doing full episodes, not scaled back like MH. She is being paid the same for less work. He wants to be paid more for doing more work! Got it?

• Lois says:

You “got it” wrong. MH will still be working on every episode, and Hewitt will be a rival. Ausiello’s interview with NBC president Bob Greenblatt talks about the hiring of Hewitt and MH’s part in the show next season:

Greenblatt: “Although, to clarify, this isn’t to replace Mariska. The idea is that we want to bring in somebody midway through the season alongside Mariska and Chris. Mariska’s deal is closed for [a 13th] season, so she’s not disappearing. Creatively, I think it will give [Benson] some competition, which I think will be interesting.”

• Alex says:

How many times does Dick Wolf need to say E/O will never happen before you believe it? ELLIOT. AND. OLIVIA. WILL. NOT. GET. TOGETHER. EVER!

• HGFM says:

Enough with the EO nonsense. It is not what most people who watch the show want.
      Stabler is in love with his wife and always has been. He has no interest in being anything other than Benson’s partner at work. He never has been interested in her any other way.
      Benson isn’t relationship material or parent material. That is the reason she is alone. She doesn’t know how to connect with people on anything other than a superficial level. Being in a relationship is a risk she will never chose to take.

• Alex says:

Agreed, the E/O crap is getting so ridiculous.

• jessica says:

I know that EO will never get together, even though i once wished they would. the time for that has come and gone, and i accept that. in the 2007 season, though, it seemed very apparent that that is the direction they were going in. i was convinced they were going to pair them up. then out of nowhere, the story came to an abrupt halt when they had cathy become pregnant. so, for whatever reason, tptb changed their minds.

38. Cristina says:

Meloni deserves as much money as he can get. The entire cast is phenomenal. Milk it while it’s hot.

• meghan says:

It hasn’t been ‘hot’ for three seasons. It’s become a joke that he’s been going through the motions for. He should be embarrassed to have his name on it.

39. Giselle says:

please, tell me you´re kidding!!!damn it!

40. Dora says:

1) End the show if both of them don’t want to return. It’s not te same if they’re not together as partners
    2) I understand that the L&O people love to recycle actors but really? This soon? Viewers aren’t stupid, and I don’t even see JLH as a cop.

Thi news makes me mad

41. Del says:

Meloni is GREEDY!!

42. Alexa says:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! Mariska NEEDS to stay on SVU! So does Chris it wouldn’t be fair… it wouldn’t be svu without them… without how close they can be but always seem to put the job first… how qood they are with victims.. they can’t leave… :'(

43. Becky says:

I think this is great news that Mariska is coming back. Certainly prefer her taking a reduced role for a portion of Season 13 then not coming back at all. I certainly hope Chris Meloni comes back as well. If they bring in JLH as a new detective when Benson gets promoted I will evaluate her in the role then. When they brought on Judith Light I initially didn’t think I would see her as anything more than the character she played on “Who’s the Boss,” but I don’t even remember the name of that character, but Judith as Liz Donnelly has been outstanding IMHO.

44. Giselle says:

If the show is going to end (that´s a fact with these news), Dick could at least give us EO!! And YES I´d be VERY happy with it! Doesn´t matter what he said before!!

• kathi says:

Why does it always have to be about sex and people coupling off? Doesn’t happen in the real world and doesn’t need to happen on TV.

45. Angela L. says:

uuummm yeah i’d like to reduce my work hours and keep the same pay please.

• JMC says:

First of all it’s TV! It’s an hourly paying job… she gets paid PER episode… which means if she does 22 to 24 she gets paid the $385,000 times that many episodes. That pay doesn’t go down the fewer episodes she does… the coming season if she only does 13 episodes she will ONLY be paid for those 13 episodes. So, her pay IS going down.

• JMC says:

*not an HOURLY PAYING job. (Darn typos)

• Maria says:

This season Mariska was in episodes less (as in she was in most episodes but briefly) but still got paid. It is going to be the same next season. She is getting the same amount as she does this season for doing less work. I don’t understand what is difficult to get about that. In order for Chris to be paid COMPARABLE to Mariska for the amount of hours he works, he would be entitled to a raise.

• Angela L. says:

she could be in one scene an episode and still get the pay

• Maris says:

My point exactly. The only way their pay can be comparable is if he gets a raise.

• Lois says:

If Meloni were only in one scene he would also get his full pay for the episode.
          Even if MH were the boss, she still could be in as many scenes per episode. Since the supervisor is in the station most of the time, they could film all her scenes at the same time.

• Maria says:

They won’t do that. She is cutting down filming time while still getting full pay. Chris will be working more hours and getting the same pay as her. That’s not fair in my view especially since they have been on the same pay for years.
            If we are talking about a role like Dann Florek’s then he is in a lot less scenes than MH/CM and therefore works a lot less- less days on set.

46. Jon says:

JLHewitt – No, emphatic Hell No. Worst idea ever. If they’re going to replace Mariska, fine, but not Hewitt. Never, no.

47. Angela L. says:

i’d like to work 20 hours and still get paid for 40

48. flutiefan says:

bad idea, all around.

49. Jon says:

50. JMC says:

There is NO SVU without Mariska!!! What is NBC thinking… Here goes another show that’s just fine the way it is and it’s going to tank! If she wants a lighter work load put her in three episodes on, one episode off for the whole season.