Sarah Michelle Gellar's CBS Thriller Gets Green Light - But There's a Twist!

Ringer, the very buzzy pilot in which Buffyverse queen Sarah Michelle Gellar plays dual roles, is sure to pack jaw-droppers, but here’s one twist nobody saw coming: Originally eyed by CBS for the fall, the series instead has found a home on The CW.

Exclusive: Nikita Boss Solves Finale Mysteries, Shares Scoop on (Probable) Season 2

As first reported by TVLine sister site Deadline.com, Ringer has received a green light, but to air on The CW (which is co-owned by CBS). It marks the first fall pickup OK’d by brand-new CW president Mark Pedowitz. And we think we like him lots already.

Tom Welling on Smallville Finale: ‘People Are Really Going to Like What We Did’

Ringer stars SMG as Bridget, a young woman on the run from the mob who thinks she’ll find safe harbor by posing as her wealthy twin, Siobhan. Thing is, sis has a bounty on her life as well!

The rest of the cast includes Kristoffer Polaha (Life Unexpected) as Henry, the out-of-work husband of Siobhan’s BFF who happens to be having an affair with Siobhan; Ioan Gruffudd (Fantastic Four) as Siobhan’s husband; and Nestor Carbonell (Lost) as the FBI agent in charge of keeping Bridget safe so she can testify against the mob.

1. DJ says:

Ioan Gruffudd…………yes yes YES

2. ripleyaeryn says:

I hope Tom Welling will guest star on this show! Imagine just one moment Tom Welling and Sarah Michelle Gellar on the same show, that would be awesome!

3. Aymen says:

Yay for Sarah’s return back to primetime tv! Not sure about The CW, though. But I guess her new show will have a longer running on a network like the CW than CBS. “Ringer” didn’t sound like those boring procedurals CBS usually does anyway. My guess is that CBS liked the pilot (otherwise they wouldn’t have ordered it for filming) but didn’t see it fit with its other shows, so in order to “rescue” the show they decided to pass it over to the CW (a subsidiary of CBS).

I hope this will work out for Gellar and the show. I’ll definitely tune in!

4. CT says:

I’m thinking they could pair this show with ANTM on Wednesdays. I’m sure Secret Circle will be paired with TVD on Thursdays, so I guess that means Nikita will take Smallville’s old slot and be paired with Supernatural on Fridays. Hopefully they also order Hart of Dixie, then they could pair it with OTH on Tuesdays. Not sure what happens to Hellcats, maybe either cancelled or held until midseason.

5. moonwolf12 says:

Sounds like a great idea but how are they going to keep this going? Whats the plot supposed to be after she testifies and the mob gets put away? Sounds like it’s going to be a short-lived show.

6. Michelle says:

I NEED ONE TREE HILL BACK!!!!! Season nine will Be the last season if (hopefully when) it’s renewed. I need that farewell season to survive. I need closure. And I need Peyton and Lucas back!!!!

7. PaulH says:

The thing is, the CW is a demotion. Bottom line. When ABC Studios said they can’t “produce a series for the economics of the CW”, that to me is code for reduced episode budgets, episode salaries, and ultimately, reduced total audiences and ratings. Look for Carbonelli and Gruffudd to have serious second thoughts about staying with the show. If I were Gellar, I’d say adios as well. This is textbook bait and switch. I’ll wager a bazillion dollars SMG, Carbonelli nor Gruiffud would’ve agreed to do this *IF THEY KNEW AHEAD OF TIME THEY WERE FILMING A CW PILOT*. Honor your commitment, CBS; put it on the major league network, not the Single-A one.