Fall TV Preview

Fall TV: CBS Picks Up J.J. Abrams/Michael Emerson Drama, Broke Girls Sitcom

Get More: Fall TV Preview, News

While ABC unloads a whopping 12 new shows from its shopping cart, CBS has opened its upfronts season with just two major buys so far: Person of Interest, a thriller exec-produced by J.J. Abrams (Lost/Fringe) and penned by Jonathan Nolan (The Dark Knight), and Broke Girls, a multi-camera sitcom from Michael Patrick King (Sex and the City) and comedienne Whitney Cummings.

Sarah Michelle Gellar’s CBS Thriller Winds Up On The CW

Person of Interest is a crime drama centered on an ex-CIA agent played by James Caviezel (The Prisoner). Presumed dead, he teams up with a mysterious billionaire (Lost‘s Michael Emerson) to prevent violent crimes in New York City. Taraji P. Henson (Boston Legal) and Kevin Chapman (Mystic River) also star.

Gary Sinise Weighs In on CSI: NY‘s Uncertain Future

Co-written by King and Cummings, Broke Girls stars Kat Dennings (Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist) and newcomer Beth Behrs as — yep — two broke 22-year-old gals struggling to make their dreams come true in New York City (or at least Brooklyn). Matthew Moy (Scrubs), Garrett Morris (Saturday Night Live) and Jonathan Kite also star.

Comments (18)

• CBS is really making me nervous today. I hope that they pick up ‘Ringer’, because I simply cannot go another TV season without SMG on my TV screen.

Comment by Brittany – May 13, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree about being nervous. I’d rather hear about the shows that are going before hearing about what’s new.

Comment by Andrea – May 13, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sarah Michelle’s pilot was picked up by the CW

Comment by Alex C – May 13, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So what about Hawaii 5-O?

Comment by paburrows – May 13, 2011 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see Michael Emerson back on prime time. It’s been too long.

Comment by Joe – May 13, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to Person of Interest.

Comment by Tim – May 13, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taraji P. Henson is on Person of Interest?! This show just got a LOT more interesting. She is an intense, amazing actress. I really look forward to this now.

Comment by ziggy – May 13, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im a little confused. Does Whitney Cummings have a show on NBC that she stars in and a show on CBS that she created? Not a bad pilot pick up season for her.

Comment by Andrew – May 13, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kat Dennings on my TV? That’s GOOD news. :-)

Comment by Ace – May 13, 2011 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is “The Prisoner” Jim Caviezel’s identifier? Didn’t “The Passion of the Christ” make something like a bazillion dollars? Shouldn’t that be what he’s known for?

Comment by Darin Bunch – May 13, 2011 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Prisoner was on TV…i would think that’s why.

Comment by NickC – May 13, 2011 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing!

Comment by Emily – May 13, 2011 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So much for Jim Caviezel’s claim that he’s been blacklisted by Hollywood for staring in “Passion of the Christ.” He keeps getting work but claims that he isn’t in order to sell his book.

Comment by maggie – May 14, 2011 02:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Can’t wait to have Michael Emerson back on TV on a weekly basis!

Comment by J19 – May 13, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just found a place called “printapons” where I can get my fav. restaurant coupon for 90% off!! all you have to do is just print and take it.

Comment by irmahale – May 14, 2011 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm, my attempt at commenting last night on this clearly didn’t work.

I want to know why a JJ Abrams show is on CBS. Did Abrams somehow produce a tedious procedural? Starring Michael Emerson?? That would quite possibly be the weirdest Abrams show ever. LOL. But seriously, is this show a procedural? Because that would make me very sad for Michael Emerson.

Comment by Mindy – May 14, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post