Gary Sinise Says CSI: NY Finale 'Puts Mac to the Test,' Weighs In on Show's Uncertain Future

This Friday at 9/8c, CSI: NY presents what might turn out to be its series finale. But Gary Sinise tells TVLine that long-time fans of the CBS procedural need not worry — if this is in fact the end.

“There are questions left open,” Sinise shares. “But it’s not a cliffhanger like we’ve had the past couple of seasons. This one stands on its own.”

The CSI: NY season-ender “puts Mac to the test,” Sinise previews, allowing the lead detective to tie up some loose ends after a lengthy career hunting down bad guys.

A near-death event “at the beginning of the episode makes Mac question a lot of things,” Sinise says. “He tries to revisit an old case to bring closure to something that’s been sitting open on his desk for nearly 10 years.”

Ironically, not knowing whether the series will return for an eighth season didn’t afford the fine folks who work on NY the same sense of closure.

“Wrapping Season 7 was different, if only because in previous years we’ve always felt fairly certain that we were coming back,” the actor explains. “You do want to know one way or another [if this is it], so you can have a sense of closure.”

“It has been a wonderful working atmosphere,” Sinise emphasizes. “We’ve done good work together, and people like working on this show — I do — and I’d like to come back.

“But if it’s over,” the actor continues, “I’m grateful for the seven years I had on the show, and I’ll be grateful that I was able to do it, because it’s been a really great run.”

Should this be the end for Mac Taylor & Co., you can always catch the immensely charitable star on the road with his philanthropic musical group, Lt. Dan Band — though, Sinise sincerely hopes that’s not the case. “We have a very loyal audience that’s watching CSI: NY around the world,” he notes. “I’d like to keep giving them good shows.”

Comments (106)

• Thanks Megs. It’s really easy not to appreciate the good people making tv these days when we have the likes of Charlie Sheen. Here we have a big name actor that stays loyal to it’s TV show, thank you MR.SINISE.

So happy it’s not a huge cliffhanger like the show is use to. I hope that this is not the end, the show has a few more stories to tell.

Comment by Jess – May 13, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had always been a casual viewer of CSI NY, but this season I’ve watched every episode. I really like Sela Ward’s character. I think she fits very nicely with the rest of the cast. If it comes down to NY or Miami, I would chose NY.

Comment by Blake – May 13, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree! Keep NY!

Comment by Sandi – May 13, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i agree! i like her much more than stella, she was kinda b__chy! i do think there is more to come. they hinted at messer runnin the lab!

Comment by marycarman – May 15, 2011 01:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i love CSI NY best one agree with you it must not end

Comment by carol burt – June 19, 2011 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I love CSI NY this show must not end it is one of the Best up there with Blue Bloods and Bones all favorites

Comment by kathyaw – October 15, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THAT KEEP CSI:NY WE DON’T WANT THEM TO GO

Comment by CITA – September 14, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree; if they’re choosing between Miami and NY, Miami should go. Frankly, we only watch Miami to laugh at the horrendous writing and to play the Horatio Hero game which involves lots of drinking everytime David Caruso lowers his voice, turns to his side and growls out some ridiculous line. How Miami has lasted as long as it has is amazing.

Comment by Miz – May 13, 2011 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with this comment, especially about Miami CSI. Too bad because the other people on this show are good, just not Caruso. I do think the Sela Ward character on CSI NY is a little condescending. Please keep CSI NY.

Comment by Diane – May 16, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree. CSI Miami is a waste of good air time. Pick a time slot for NY and leave it there – perhaps back on Wednesday as someone else suggested. Even CSI LV is getting old and weird. NY is the best of the 3!!

Comment by MG – May 16, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My goodness, I love the internet sometimes! Here I tot I was the only 1 who stopped watching Miami a long time ago and only focused on NY and Vegas!

Comment by alene – August 2, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I DON’T AGREE WITH YOU I LOVE MIAMI AND NY I DON’T WANT THEM BOTH TO GO SO PLZZZZZZZZ KEEP MY SHOWS

I Love those kinds of shows/ CSI:Miami, CSI:NY, Criminal Minds, Criminal Minds Suspect bahavior, Hawaii Five-O, Blue Bloods, NCIS, NCIS Los Angeles, The Good Wife are the best shows that my mother and I watch Please don’t let those shows go cause we look Forward to this shows to come back on and We know that we are not the only one that like’s those shows !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ps.THOSE SHOW ARE NOT TIRED

KEEP THEM ON

Comment by CITA – September 14, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Miz – Truer words were never spoken. Who at CBS is a relative to Caruso – because it isn’t talent that keeps the show going. He’s a mediocre actor at best and the story lines are so foolish – I gave up watching years ago. The two CSI’s that should remain are NY and Las Vegas. Both have great casts and are very watchable. (Ted Danson is a great addition to Vegas). Cross our fingers.

Comment by Pepper – May 17, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Gary and the whole tema would return. It is one of my favourite among all CSI series and what I mosstly watched. We will be waiting for another season next year, and I will be positive for that!

Comment by Jomz – May 13, 2011 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We get this series later than in the US. I have just watched the last of the series and agree with you all that New York must stay. Miami is not a patch on New York, or should I say Gary and Co are far superior to Haratio and Co. NEW YORK MUST STAY.

Comment by Brenda J – June 5, 2011 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they renew CSI:NY, it is my favorite of the three.

Comment by Brandi – May 13, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with u Brandi… I pray they all return and continue for at least 5 more seasons.

Comment by Stephanie – May 14, 2011 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CBS should ditch the lame ass Criminal Minds spin off, put CSI NY back in their old slot on Wednesday (or flip the two even since CM is typically the more gory of the two) and to ‘celebrate’ we should have a cross over ep. Okay i’m joking about the crossover. okay not totally joking, with the right story it could be good.

Comment by Lucas – May 15, 2011 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for the article Megan.

I sincerely hope CSI:NY is renewed. There is so much more I would like to see on the show, and there are so many fans who love it. Give the cast, crew, and fans at least one more season.

Comment by Lisa – May 13, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please bring back CSI:NY, and please bring back Melina Kanakaredes; at least let she and Mac get together for the end of the show.

Comment by J. Jantz – May 13, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree! I loved Melina and always secretly hoped that she and Mac could get together. I hope they don’t cancel the show, it’s the only CSI I watch.

Comment by nonabgo – May 13, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that. I was a casual watcher and this year I caught some re-run episodes and got hooked. I hope it’s not the last season, not when I’ve become addicted to it. I hope they renew and bring Melina Kanakaredes back. The cast ensemble is great (with Melina Kanakaredes) and hope it’ll continue for a long time.

Comment by ungcl – May 14, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. Sela Ward has such errogance about her that she ruins the show. I like CSI NY and I hope they bring it back in the fall.

Comment by S. Heinrich – May 15, 2011 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish all the actors and crew well but don’t really care if the show comes back. I think it’s run its course and the current producers lack imagination, direction and style. Just watch the episodes from the first few seasons and you see the difference.

I’ve read about the show this year but haven’t watched one mimute and haven’t really missed it. That’s pretty sad.

Comment by tums1956 – May 13, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the interview Megan. I certainly hope the show is renewed, there are lots more stories to tell.

Comment by Juliab – May 13, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP CSI: NY!!!!!!!!

Comment by mes – May 13, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just watched the finale, and I felt a bit sad at the end…b/c we don’t know what the future holds for this show yet, and I am not ready for it to be over. There were things at the end of the finale that felt very ‘final’ and I know they kind of had to do that…b/c of the uncertainty and it is nice of them to do that I suppose…especially if it is the series finale and not the season finale. However all that said I sincerely hope it is not the end END for CSI:NY. It is my favorite of all the CSI’s…(ok so the only other one I watch is CSI:Miami)

Comment by Robin – May 13, 2011 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • in the USA you have already seeb the final espiode of CSI NY, we in UK are eagerly awaiting to see it 2night, only 15 mins to go. Glad the show is coming back, can’t wait. Bring back Melina and Claire, they made a really good team.

Mvis Roadley UK

Comment by Mavis Roadley – June 4, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope we don’t lose this show!!! It’s the best thing about Friday night for middle-agers like me & my husband.

Comment by Megan – May 13, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DON’T cancel CSI NY. it is the best. Gary Sinese makes it the best of the CSI series along with the great cast. Why do you people always want to cancel the good shows and keep the garbage on TV. Not everyone wants to watch Reality Shows and silly comedies. Mature adults still enjoy watching good TV and CBS has some of the best shows.

Comment by carol – May 13, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could not agree more!! Studio execs don’t seem to care about the middleclass, middle aged viewers. You have to be a brainless “Idol” watcher or they don’t give you any credibility. Shows which require any amount of thought or intellegence they cancel while leaving reality crap and idiot comedies. They contribute to the “dumbing down” of America and we have no recourse of action. They pretty much do whatever they want! I also agree with some other posts here. CSI:NY is my favorite and I would be very upset if it was cancelled. I have been watching since the beginning, I’d hate to see it just end this way.

Comment by Tracy – May 13, 2011 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree…I don’t like reality tv, nor do I watch sitcoms. Keep CSI NY on the air…that and the Mentalist are the only 2 cbs shows I watch. They’ve taken off all the others I liked.

Comment by THazenstab – May 16, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tonight’s episode proved why this show needs to be renewed! Please CBS renew it!

Comment by Beth – May 13, 2011 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wholeheartedly agree with all thhose who said that NY is their favorite of all the CSI shows. For me, after NUMBERS was cancelled, Friday night television became a wasteland. Then this season there was CSI NY and Blue Bloods and I enjoyed Fridays again. Please don’t tell me that Blue Bloods is also scheduled to be cancelled.

Comment by Mary – May 13, 2011 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to concur with the fact that of all the CSI’s, NY and Gary Sinise are unsurpassable. Friday night television has for the most part always been awful. I guess they think EVERYONE is out partying and that is not the case. For the first time in a long time, now I who does watch tv on Fridays can enjoy my favorite CSI mainly because of Sinise. He is a fine actor as proven by countless feature films and television. And, yes now that Blue Bloods has joined the Friday night lineup it is terrific. I also most certainly agree if any show(s) should go it is the idiotic reality shows and sit coms. They are empty and hold nothing for me. Without Sinise and the other cast members, I wouldn’t watch CSI NY. This would be a great loss to the millions of fans of this show. Keep CSI NY and as far as I can tell, Blue Bloods is doing extremely well and therefore should also remain on Fridays

Comment by manliclic – May 14, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, if TPTB actually read these comments… I feel compelled to add my “vote” for CSI: NY. My husband and I have watched the CSI shows since they first debuted and would watch NY over all the rest. It is important to point out that Gary and ensemble have stayed intact (except for M.K.) unlike the other two (CSI & Miami)and I believe this has helped the show retain its fan base. The line up for Friday night has appealed to our household (glad to have Flashpoint back). The young adults are out on Fri. & Sat. nights so it is nice to watch some adult shows. Please leave Friday’s line up as is…

Comment by Michele – May 13, 2011 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please keep CSI N.Y i would not like to see it end at this time with a cast the work well and an less they are not welling to go on and it dosn’t sound like that to let keep the show gowing please!!!

Comment by Russell – May 14, 2011 01:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for osting the article.
    I watched the season finale and thought it really was a very emotional in more ways than one. The choose of music at the end really choked me up. CSI NY is my favourite show, it has a great cast and writers and crew and i would like to say thank you to all of them.
    While this eipsode brought closer I am not ready to say goodbye to the show just yet. But it also gave hints of what could come in season 8. This was just the end of a chapter not the book, I feel that there are so many more chapters left in this book. So please CBS renew CSI NY.

Comment by Leigh-Anne – May 14, 2011 03:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In what I believe to be one of the most moving speeches of all time, the late Jim Valvano said “if you laugh, you think, and you cry, that’s a full day. That’s a heck of a day.”

A great TV show does just this. The show makes you laugh, the show makes you think, and then usually at the end, the show makes you cry. _CSI:NY_ has done this on numerous, numerous occasions and the Season 7 finale was no different. As long as it still has the capacity to do so, this is the kind of show that belongs on television.

I truly hope CBS renews.

Comment by Mark – May 14, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ive been watching this show for 3 years!!! Its the only CSI i watch! I live in india sooo there you go world wide audience!!! Please return!

Comment by Kanika Basu – May 14, 2011 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE, PLEASE keep CSI NY – it’s one of our favorite programs and don’t miss it. It’s the best CSI of all.

Comment by Vonnie – May 14, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have practically the entire season of Miami on my DVR still, can’t be bothered watching it. NY is one of the first things watched, always.

Comment by Doobie – May 14, 2011 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the only CSI I watch the other two do not compare CSI Los Vegas was good til the loss of Grishom and Warwick, and I cannot stand CSI Miami.

Comment by Verlin Gingrich – May 14, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ever since William Petersen left the original CSI it has gone down hill but, Gary Sinise has made another CSI wonderful. Please don’t take the one CSI worth watching off the air! New York has so many great stories to tell surely they can keep telling them. The whole cast has kept the show stable, not like the revolving cast on CSI or the non actors on CSI Miami who sound like they are reading their lines!

Comment by Jamie – May 14, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really do hope that CSI NY will b coming back,i’m a huge fan and it would b a shame if it doesb’t come back.Out of all the CSI group’ CSI NY is the best and wnen i can’t watch it i tape it 4 later on.

Comment by Patricia Winegard – May 14, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love CSI:NY and really hope that did not watch my final episode on Friday night. It is ONE of my most favorite shows and would for it to come back

Comment by Elaine – May 14, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CSI NY is the only CSI I watch, I certainly hope it isn’t canceled. The other 2 are not nearly of the same caliber as NY.

Comment by Pam – May 14, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say that I only watch CSI NY and Vegas, it would be a realy shame if they got rid of NY, get rid of Miami, it is totally (use your own word here, I think mine may be slightly rude!) I only have one problem with NY and that is Sela Ward’s character, she is totally rubbish, walks around like she owns the place, and that stupid smile she had on her face when Mac walked out of the office, well, you could see she was mentally willing him out of the building and summing up whether she would be lead. Well if it does come back for another season, they should kill her character off and bring Stella back! I am just a little jealous that you guys get to see in before us brits do. Let’s hope it is renewed and my wishes come true x

Comment by satsumafont – May 14, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show.. I hope it’s not the end. I watch apl three Csi’s since day one. So I hope I haven’t seen the last of mac taylor &co.

Comment by peggy – May 14, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show.. I hope it’s not the end. I watch all three Csi’s since day one. So I hope I haven’t seen the last of mac taylor &co.

Comment by peggy – May 14, 2011 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched CSI NY and all of the CSI shows from their inception. CSI NY is our family favorite, the only show we tape on Friday night and watch. We are huge fans of Gary Sinise and found that we loved the Sela Ward character this year. Please keep our Friday night line-up intact. We love the show.

Comment by CSI NY is the best – May 14, 2011 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please keep this CSI. I miss Wm Peterson on tbe original and it has never been the same but CSI NY is still great. CSI Miami has always been really lame. David Caruso’s titled head all the time is irrepairably distracting. I hste it and just quit watching altogether a long time ago.

Comment by Ty – May 14, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • keep csi:ny!! It’s a great show!

Comment by lisa – May 14, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be a shame to end this show.

Comment by C.A. Benson – May 14, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All of the CSI shows have been excellent shows. I was worried when William Peterson left the show, but after a few episodes, I realized that they really made Laurence Fishburne’s character fit and now I enjoy Langston as much as Grissom. All the great shows know how to transition through cast & characters throughout their runs and it makes them much more realistic, since that is how it is in real life. Miami I started losing interest in after Delko & Calleigh got together (and some episodes turned into soft porn) and the quality began going down. Also, the move to Sunday nights when sports messes with the air time made it hard to keep up with. CSI:NY has been a favorite for years. It has consistent characters & plots, and is not too gory or insulting to intelligence. I miss Melina and don’t care at all for Jo Danville. I will watch NY on Fridays, or whenever it airs! I hope it stays around for many more seasons–Law & Order is on season 20 for crying out loud–but if this was the last episode, they did a great job.

Comment by braindead – May 14, 2011 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont know what i would do without mac taylor

Comment by stacy – May 14, 2011 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont know what i would do without mac taylor. Ive watched since day one. All good things end but i am not ready it is like loosing a freind when a show goes away

Comment by stacy – May 14, 2011 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best of all 3 CSI shows, hands down! If CBS keeps Miami over NY, I’ll quit watching CBS!

Comment by kory – May 14, 2011 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like csi New York. It has become my favorite CSI. I hope they keep it as well. I think they made the show even better by bringing in Sela Ward. She is an awesome actress and very pretty too.

Comment by Dan – May 14, 2011 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t even think about cancelling this show – it is one of the best on TV right now and the actors are excellent. I’m getting tired of losing good programs for the sake of reality TV. KEEP SINISE PLEASE – BRING MAC BACK!!!!

Comment by Gord – May 15, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch all 3 CSI’s but NY is the only one I watch as soon as it’s recorded, the others just build up cos I’m not that interested in them. (NY > LV > Miami)

CSI NY is by far the best of the three.
    I was disappointed this year when MK left, especially the way it was done in the show. (MK should have agreed to come back for at least an ep to close out her character imo… but I believe I read that she chose not to). I had no idea she was leaving so that first episode this year left a bitter taste.
    But I’m enjoying Sela Ward and think that she’s a great addition to the cast.

Finale was good, hope the show is back again next year though.

Comment by Ozzy – May 15, 2011 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please bring back CSI:NY. It is one of my favorites. It is very well written and Gary Sinise is a wonderful actor. With so few good shows on, it would be a pity to cancel such a great show.

Comment by julia – May 15, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO! This should not be the end of CSI NY! It’s the only one of the CSI’s that I follow religiously. I like the other two, but NY is the best! Please don’t cancel it!

Comment by elena – May 15, 2011 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so tired of these networks getting rid of shows that are so interesting & good to replace with more stupid reality shows. But I guess the only way to stop this is to NOT watch them. I also hate to start watching anything new because just when I start to enjoy they are cancelled. C’mon studio heads start realizing that there are people out in TV land that actually want to watch something worthwhile on TV. NO MORE REALITY SHOWS!!!!!!!!! At this rate I guess I’ll be watching reruns on the Deja channel. Please DO NOT cancel CSI New York.

Comment by gwen – May 16, 2011 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CSI NY is the best of the CSI shows and Gary Sinise is a great actor. It would be sad to see this show cancelled to the expense of reality shows or other less inspired series.

Comment by Michelle – May 16, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want you to know I was yelling at the TV that you weren’t allowed to leave the show! I almost wanted to cry when it was over because I was so sad that it may not return. Many of us are hoping for season number 8! NY, in my opinion, is the best out the CSI’s and I am hoping to see the stories continue of the characters we love!!

Comment by Jillian – May 16, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where to start. I have watched them all from the beginning. Vegas, miami, and new York. I love love them all. I would be very sad to hear if they drop new York as it is probably my fav to watch. I love Gary Sinise and the rest of crew. It bothers me that there was no cliffhanger this year. Miami had one. Vegas did not. So this concerns me. I hope that they being it back for years to come. It is a great show.

Comment by Laura – May 16, 2011 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m totally with you Laura. I’ve watched all three shows for years and i love them all. and i have to say that over the past year NY has definitely become my fav. especially like the new dynamic sela brought to the show.
    as for the other two i’ve been a bit disappointed with this last season. LV has sort of become the Ray Langston show and Miami got a bit stale, still they had some better epis towards the end of this season. hope to see all three shows back up and running in the fall.

Comment by hanna – May 17, 2011 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m totally crushed at the thought that CSI:NY might not be back next season. Like so many others have already said, this show is amazing and deserves to stay on the air. TV viewing wouldn’t be the same without Mac Taylor and his team.

Comment by Sonya – May 18, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hope this is not the last season. CSI NY is my favorite of the three CSIs and it would be disappointing if they don’t come back for a few more seasons. If this is the last though thank you very much for all the years…

Comment by Jenny – May 18, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im from england so ive got 3 more episodes to watch of season 7, and really dont want it to be the final. But i have read on wikipedia that it was renewed for season 8 on the 17th of may, my birthday in fact. Best present

Comment by sammie – May 21, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show! I certainly hope it’s not the end.

Comment by cj – May 21, 2011 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post