Breaking: NBC Axes Law & Order: LA, The Event and Outsourced

Don’t try to tell anyone at The EventLaw & Order: L.A., and Outsourced that it’s silly to be scared of Friday the 13th: NBC cancelled all three shows today.

The Event started strong last fall but, the denser its serialized plot became, the more its viewership fell off. For what audience remains, at least there will be some (not total but some) closure in the series’ last episode, which airs Monday, May 23. (Deadline.com, meanwhile, reports that producers are looking at ways to keep the show going via another outlet, possibly Netflix.)

On the flip side, LOLA was in trouble right out of the gate. Though the network retooled it and relaunched it with a new cast this spring, it still tanked. So — unthinkable as it is — if Criminal Intent isn’t renewed, come fall, SVU (which is on the verge of being picked up) will be the only L&O still on the air!

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated.

Thoughts?

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Scoop

1. L says:

Not entirely surprised. The Event was a massive flop, ditto L&O:LA. L&O:LA failed spectacularly, they should have spent more time developing it because it just didn’t take!

• Stacie says:

They should never have cancelled the original Law and Order. It was easily getting nearly double what L&O LA made. Sometimes trying to fix what ain’t broke is not the way to go. They had an established very very long running show and they tried to make a splash with this and failed badly. It’s going to be weird to see only one Law and Order left. SVU is still decent, but even their numbers have drastcially reduced over the years.

• Linda says:

I am not surprised when NBC cancels any show since they cancelled Heroes a few years ago. I have not watched ANYTHING on NBC since then as I refuse to waste my time on any of their shows because of the fact they will cancel on a whim.

• Vanessa says:

I wish they kept the Event …the only show I actually watch on this channel. I thought it was pretty cool and it looked as though there was only 1 more season left anyway.

• Kevan says:

I can’t agree more with this statement . Felt this way for awhile with other cancelations of shows I liked . What a waste of shows and time to enjoy them . It seems one side of NBC is always looking and promoting good shows and another side making sure the rather speedy discovered bottom line is reached . There are still older style people watching TV still and it takes longer to discover quality shows .

2. MoxieSue says:

No surprise there.

3. Chmarin says:

SHOCKERRRR.

• forrest says:

Let’s try a new approach to all this: Instead of calling new shows series – just call them mini-series. There going to end shortly, so why string viewers along? If ratings are decent to last more than 1 to 2 ‘mini-seasons’ promote it to series. That rarely ever happens unless it’s a ‘reality show’ or gimmick game show, so what’s wrong with proper labels? No wonder Netflix is the future of ‘series’ viewing.

4. Allison says:

Neither comes as a surprise. I didn’t really watch L&O LA other than once or twice (partially in protest of the original being axed before it’s record breaking season) but I did watch The Event. I enjoyed it though it had it’s problems. One major one, and this happens to many shows, was the mid-season hiatus. They cannot keep doing that with complicated shows. People lose interest if they cannot remember all of the complex stories after several months of being off air.

5. Sara Black says:

They take away from us a clasicc like L&O, just to fail in the first season with L&O LA. Awesome ¬¬

• DL says:

Seriously! I’m just going to come out and say it… Bring back the L&O mothership!

• Rose says:

I agree! Bring back the original L&O.

• Esaul says:

Take this with a fine grain of salt. There is a rumor going around that the original might come back for one more season.

As I see this, NBC has no one to blame but their self for their stupidity. LOLA was fine when it started out, airing right after SVU. The retooling was NEVER the issue. They needed it, and did a great job too. The show was much better. NBC should’ve cancelled it before it was retooled, in all honesty. What were they thinking of putting LOLA behind The Event and Chuck? Terrible idea. They wanted to see the show die, that’s how I see it.

• Jon says:

I was going to say the same thing. Bring back the ORIGINAL. We need more Sam Waterston, Linus Roache, and S. Epatha Merkerson.

• Deena says:

That’s right, don’t mess with the best. L&O was SO GOOD again when the morons at NBC canceled it. Interesting storylines and a cast that really gelled for the first time in a long time. So happy their little LA experiment didn’t last & I had my SVU and L&O UK on BBC America to make me happy.

6. na says:

i am tired of getting involved in these serials and then have them cancelled without conclusion. UGH!

The Event, Flash Forward, Heroes.. etc..

• lauren says:

ME TOO!! Stop introducing these complicated shows, setting them up for failure with a 3-month hiatus and then taking them away from the dedicated viewers who remain!! As mad as I was about FF, I was happy that The Event gave me a comparable replacement, and now that’s gone too! So frustrating!

• Diane says:

I AGREE!

• Amy says:

I absolutely agree 100%! I hardly watch any new shows added each fall bc I fear they’ll be cut and we get no closure. Sad to say.

• tnsmoke says:

That’s right, don’t watch a new show because you’re afraid it won’t last then it won’t last because you’re not watching it.

• Allison says:

Completely agree. I am starting to think my husband’s idea of not watching shows until they last long enough to go to Netflix may be the way to go.

• Robin says:

Completely agree…I’m frustrated, but however I am not suprised actually. :/ I guess I shouldn’t even waste my time catching on the dvred episode from this week. :/

• Christine says:

I agree. I’m done with these serialized shows because they never seem to last very long. I’m still pissed about The Nine being cancelled by ABC years ago.

7. Martin says:

I can’t say that the Event isn’t a shocker, but L&O: LA has gotten ALOT better since the return. Hated to lose Skeet but really thought the writing was coming along and the story lines were better. Since they narrowed down the cast, it wasn’t so chaotic and you started getting invested into the characters. Was looking forward to seeing how L&O: LA did in there second season.

• Gail says:

I agree, as much as I like Skeet Ulrich, the show has been better since the retooling. I’ve just started to dig it and now it’s cancelled.

• J Ann says:

Well, crap. I was enjoying the show. I like Morales and TJ . I really thought they would keep the show in production and put it back on the air when their other new shows fail this fall. (Corey Stoll is talented. I hope to see him on TV again soon.)

• WhitneyD says:

You know I’ve really enjoyed it since the retooling – Morales and TJ were working out nicely, and it was nice to have Connie as second chair, since she actually seemed like a lawyer (no offense to the other actresses, but they just seemed too young). Not to mention it’s easier to have audiences invest in the characters when everyone gets a little more screen time.

The shame was that they rushed L&O:LA in the first place, when giving it a bit more production time would have saved them the embarrassment of having to retool it. (Not to mention that this Angeleno was getting a kick out of some of the LA areas they were shooting in)

• Elizabeth says:

I totally agree…LOLA has gotten so much better. And I love Corey Stoll. Since they started focusing more on his and Alfred Molina’s characters, it was getting more interesting.

• JohnDoe says:

I really enjoyed Peter Coyote as the D.A. myself. He was realistic as a politician.

• JAO says:

Oh Great … everytime I get interested in a show, NBC or Fox cancels it. LOLA was getting so much better, we started watching it. I figured the Event wasn’t long for this world. When oh when are networks going to stick with something? Makes me not want to watch anything until the second season.

• JM says:

I agree, I was enjoying Alfred Molina in L&O LA.

8. Art says:

Great, we lose a decent show like the Event, which just need some fine tuning to keep a show, Chuck, which has struggled every season to find an audience. I’m not sure why I am still surprised by the working of studios.

• Rock Golf says:

The NON-Event needed a lot more than some fine tuning. It meandered all over the map on its characters. Is this character a cold-blooded assassin? No, she’s a CIA agent. Is this alien working for the aliens? Yes, but he still supports the President. And Jason Ritter’s half-alien girlfriend must be the poorest actress in prime time this year.

• Christine says:

What you just described is character development. If we knew everything there was to know about characters after the first episode what the heck would be the point in continuing to watch it?
        The two characters that you referenced, Simon and Vicky, are actually two of the most interesting characters on the show.

However, I do agree with your assessment of Leila. The character was ridiculously annoying, and the fact that the actress was absolutely terrible did not help matters. I think the show got much better when they teamed Sean up with Vicky.

• Sarah says:

I agree with everything you just said. Leila’s character bores me to tears but Simon and Vicky are two of my favourite characters on the show. And yes, the pairing of Sean and Vicky worked much better!!

I’m very sad to see it cancelled as I love serials like these. Unfortunately, they never seem to last long enough. :(

9. Lynn says:

I sure hope this means Jason Ritter will be welcomed back to Parenthood for good!

10. bmo says:

LOLA-a bit of a shocker but not unexpected. If a show needs to be retooled, never a good sign. Changing of the guard. Standard cop shows are things of the past. At least on Network TV.

The Event-not a shock, Serialized TV shows on Network TV don’t work anymore. Too bad for Blair Underwood, Good actor, can’t find a good TV home

11. Karen says:

I watch The Event and am not surprised. It started off really interesting, but quickly because implausible. Other shows have fastastical plots, but we care about the characters, believe them and are invested, like LOST or Fringe. But The Event just hasn’t been able to capture that. It’s laughable at this point, which is sad because I wanted to really get into it.

12. Danny says:

I hope they lock in the “SVU” renewal for two seasons. I believe it’s still one of NBC’s best-rated scripted series.

13. Diane says:

I’m quite mad about the Event.If they think no one’s watching they should check out Facebook and GetGlue(where it’s listed as one of the top shows by viewers).They keep the Office on when mostly just the critics like it and other shows with the same critic viewers.Critics don’t make the majority of viewers,real people do.

14. Tavis says:

I quit watching The Event after a few episodes because it was so awful.

15. Maxime A says:

“the denser its serialized plot became, the more its
    viewership fell off”
    I totally disagre.

The worst it’s writing got, the more it’s viewership fell off!!

16. Blake says:

Honestly couldn’t careless about The Event. I watched the first 7 or so episodes and got completely bored. I actually forced myself through those 7 episodes.

LOLA on the other hand, I am sad about. It is my 3rd favorite L&O series (behind SVU and Trial By Jury [another show canceled way way too soon!]). The retooling really did help the series. Such a shame.

17. Karen says:

What was wrong with the original Law and Order? Where’s Jack? I hated the new L & O.

18. David says:

LOLA was better when it was rebooted but still wasn’t good enough. It’s really a shame. They should try to bring back the original L&O in some form maybe with a new cast? I don’t know but they really dropped the ball on canceling it last year in the first place.

• Tania says:

No, if the mothership were to be brought back, and I highly doubt it, I would hope that it would be with the same cast before it was so abruptly canceled. NBC has canceled so many intelligent, gritty programs over the years. They do excel in crappy pseudo-reality shows though. Why not when there is a contingent of moronic viewers already in place?

• JohnDoe says:

I think so too, but I don’t want to see Jack McCoy just sitting in an office being Mr. Politician like he was in the last couple seasons. I’d rather see him prosecuting in court.

19. Rusty says:

NBC is just stupid – they should have never cancelled the original last year. Ive never been a fan of SVU or CI and never even tried LOLA – out of protest for the original being cancelled… But hey NBC did renew Chuck – hip hip horray… Love Chuck!!!!

• forrest says:

So with the ratings bonanza that ‘the voice’ got – we can expect more of the same reality – game show – wreck. Scripted shows are going the way of HBO and USA – The big networks might as well be called reality central.

20. skyfan says:

The EVENT was a victim of event-preempts for me; after it had a gap in Jan/Feb (due to sports or some such) I just never got re-engaged. When will networks start to (or re-discover) that Continuity Matters?

21. Ruby says:

I’m bummed about The Event. I thought it was really fun and Jason Ritter was really good on it.

22. Bia says:

I thought LOLA was going well… he have such a strong team of actors! But I think LOCI is going to fall apart to. Public miss The Original L&O! Bring it back! It’s one of the bests. Thought me a lot all of these years.

23. Jack says:

NBC basically killed the Event itself when the show was off the air for 3 months (episode 10 11/29/10, episode 11 3/7/11). They also lost alot of viewers when they did the same thing to Lost I think in the 4th season.

24. majamababe says:

Pretty soon, all you are going to see on nighttime network TV are crappy games shows and even crappier reality shows. Network TV has come a long way since the 50’s – mostly downhill!

25. Bob says:

I thought the Event was an excellent show and really moving along during it’s second half. Unfortunately, it was off the schedule for what seemed like 4 months. Why don’t networks run shows for their 20-22 weeks straight and let viewers keep up instead of having to remember what happened in November?

Oh, I guess they should have kept the original L&O on for it’s record breaking season instead of trying another new one huh? Bring back Jack McCoy!!

26. Tyler says:

Too bad LOLA didn’t last. It shouldn’t have used a cast of people we knew. They should have used a cast that was full of “no namers” that could have made their name on that show. Instead, we had actors that we couldn’t view as true cops and lawyer, but instead I saw them as their roles in other movies they had done. I just couldn’t see Dr. Ock (Alfred Molina from Spiderman 2) as real lawyer.

27. carolyn says:

Now I can delete all the Events from my Hulu cue and not waste any time watching them.

The show could have been great, but the ooey gooey couple (Jason Ritter and whoever) really ruined it. And it was so melodramatic. Had they taken a Fringe tone it might have worked.

NBC can’t do anything right.

28. BrianR says:

LOLA good riddense. The Event eh. it was OK but quickly went downhill. They should cancel all the LO series period, they are old and tired. Harry’s Law could go too as it is becoming another rant platform for Kelly to spew his paranoid nonsense.

Chuck is great but come on give it a full season to finish the story. I’m afraid they will do 13 with a series type finale and then give it a back nine order once the new shows go down the drain and cause the writers to add on to what was supposed to be a series finale.

29. Sourabh says:

The pilot of The Event was the only one I came close to liking. And I’ve watched every episode since then.

• Christine says:

I thought the pilot was the worst episode. I thought the episodes after the hiatus were much better than the beginning of the season.

30. sladewilson says:

Not surprised at all about “The Event” and mildly surprised about LOLA…

31. Kat says:

I’m just happy they are letting Chuck have a final season, so they can hopefully give it a real ending! I hate when networks cancel shows without actually finishing them! Some of my faves were cancelled, with no closure at all!! John Doe, Tru Calling, Joan of Arcadia, Heroes, New Amsterdam, The Dresden Files, and Dead at 21 just to name a few. (Dead at 21 was a show on MTV back in 1994, if you don’t remember it…)
    Some shows tried to do movies to fill in plot gaps (i.e. The Pretender, Dead Like Me and Firefly) but they didn’t really answer all the questions we had about them…

32. Melissa says:

Huh? A Law and Order series failed to make it to a second season? What happened to NBC’s good relationship with Law and Order creator Dick Wolf?

Man, Dick Wolf must be so disappointed.

33. O says:

I hate networks! They announce new shows and they keep cancelling them. They should give them some time so people can tune in.
    I liked The Event! Although it’s true that the second half of the season is a bit of a downhill.
    I don’t care about L&O.

34. Amber says:

Well, that’s sad, they worked so hard on the LOLA revamp. I would love for this to mean the mothership will return, but I don’t think it does mean that. SVU probably only has one or two more seasons left in it with the way things are going at NBC, and when that happens, the L&O franchise will be dead. That’s a very sad thing. Perhaps LOLA can be shown on a cable network much like what happened with Southland? TNT and TBS seem to have really good success with taking on NBC’s castaways. Oh, and I just thought of something else tragic! Munch never got to appear on LOLA! Isn’t that the only L&O show he was never on??

• Tanya says:

No, Munch was also not in CI I believe, or perhaps it was Trial By Jury. I honestly can’t remember, but I do know there is at least one L&O spin off that Munch hasn’t been in besides LOLA. It’s a shame LOLA was cancelled. If I were a producer or actor on one of these shows, I wouln’t sign a contract with out it stipulating that the show will be allowed proper closure if in the event it is to be cancelled. period.

35. Summer says:

I’m bummed about Outsourced.

36. Linderella49 says:

I never watched Lost but got hooked on The Event. Very sorry to larn it’s been cancelled. I also liked the new and improved L&O LA with the focus on Morales and TJ and the addition of Alaina de la Garza. Leave it to NBC to think we need more reality TV and and less adult drama. I guess all the Snookys of the world are in their target audience. Funny, CBS has done just fine with adult drama.

37. Kristi says:

I’m really bummed about “Outsourced”. I enjoyed it. Glad we at least got a full season.

38. Linda says:

Outsourced, that’s what you get for making us wait TOO effin’ long for Parks & Recreation! I know it was NBC who made the choice, but I will be blaming Outsourced for the delay nonetheless!

Thank you, and goodnight!

39. Kescat says:

Count me in as someone who is pissed about Outsourced. That show is awesome.

40. Patty says:

Another Outsourced fan – sucks that it got cancelled. I really enjoyed that show :(

And the Event – man, I thought it was really getting good and there they go, cancelling it!! Ugh, bummed about both shows!

41. tj says:

Ha! NBC should have let the chemistry build with Skeet! He was one of the many reasons why a lot of t.v. land people tuned in, then you go and retool? what??? You should gotten rid of Terrance Howard.
    As for The Event, love my SCFI….but really NBC you should have learned a lesson from ABC’s Flashforward, DO NOT draw things out. Keep up viewers interested. That is twice a shame on you NBC.

42. Jackie says:

Outsourced was hilarious. Such a shame.

43. Lyn says:

Rats . . . I enjoyed “Outsourced.” Nice to have a show that was set in neither NYC nor LA — and had nothing to do with cops, criminals, doctors, lawyers or autopsies.

44. DryedMangoez says:

Sad about Outsourced. But I appreciate the season we did get. Hope this isn’t the last of Asian-led series on broadcast. =]

45. Saphira says:

Damn!!! I really liked Outsourced! It’s awesome! I love the characters, especially Asha and Madhuri. The wedding was amazing, was set up beautifully, and was hilarious! And shy little Madhuri got herself a boyfriend! How could they axe this awesome show!

46. Bonny says:

From the beginning, LOLA kinda sucked. The cast just didn’t do it for me.

47. karlisle says:

Should have kept the original Law and order, I miss that one. As for the event, I for one am sad to see it go. But like flashforward it had it’s plotholes and other problems!

48. matt says:

i love flashforward and the event they need to keep the shows on and not take 3 or 4 weeks off then come back cause everyone has forgot about the show was even on.if the show is on on mondays night and has say 22esp keep the show on for 22 weeks in a row not 3 weeks here and then a rerun then play a new esp the go back to rerun

i hate nbc and abc always get rid of shows i like WE DONT NEED TO NO REALITY TV KEEP THAT SH*T OFF

AND TNT FOR GETTING RID OF DARK BLUE GOOD SHOW SHOULD HAVE KEPT THE SHOW LIKE IN SEASON 1

49. Mikey says:

NBC = Nuttin’ But Crap

First there was the whole Leno Disaster (no 10pm primetime scripted shows, followed by Leno vs Conan), then the cancellation of Law & Order (original) followed by the introduction of the dreadful L&O:LA
    (altho to give credit, the ‘makeover’ was a HUGE improvement!! – too bad NBC didn’t know how to market itself out of a major ‘f’-up!)
    These networks are risking a lot on all new shows that may not make it 1st 6 weeks of the 2011/2012 season! What will we be stuck with then?? More ‘reality’ crap????

50. W.H says:

Channel really stupid, not only interested in money, and has no respect for the viewers .