It's Official: NBC Renews Chuck For Fifth (and Final) Season

It’s official: Chuck Bartowski is the luckiest spy in television history.

Sources confirm to TVLine that Chuck has cheated death once again and will return for a fifth — and final — season this fall.

NBC declined to comment, but I hear the show will be back for a 13-episode farewell season.

Chuck Spoiler Alert: New Season Finale Intel

As reported on Thursday, fellow Peacock bubble shows Parenthood and Harry’s Law have also been renewed. No word yet on the fate of Outsourced. The Event and Law & Order: LA, meanwhile, have been axed.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Renewals, Scoop

1. Vívian says:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Katy says:

Hey Fellow Chuck Fans!!!

I’m from the UK and I have adored Chuck since it’s pilot aired over here. It is by far one of my fave TV shows. I am an eduacted woman, with a BA (Hons), I live with my boyfriend of 7 years and have a pet dog. I am not a looser, but I know good TV when I see it. And guess what? You guys who are s-hitting- all over our parade? The shows you are mentioning as being better than Chuck? They aint over here – Harry Law? What the heck is Harry? Parenthood? Nope. But Chuck is. I love it, I have even bought the DVDs of the first 3 seasons and have re watched every single episode with my bf who now loves the show as much as I do.

While I’ll admit season 4 has been kinda weak, it’s still a great show. I cried like a baby when Mary walked in just as Ellie gave birth! For poeple who don’t like this show, you sure are making a fuss. You really mustn’t have lives AT ALL because if you did you wouldn’t care about this and even if it miffed you off – if you had a life you would SO not be on here writing about it!

WOO HOO!!!!! ALL HAIL CHUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Muhammed says:

Thank you nbc may god bless you from africa,nigeria. UP CHUCK FANS

4. tabata says:

did anyone of you realized that “anna” is a fat male teens?

5. Paige says:

Yay I love chuck it’s the best show Eva <3 this just made my year :)

6. jaki says:

law harry hahaha what the hell is that? unfortunate that they want to give fame to a show as silly talk of a super series such as chuck hahahaha god but do not worry chucksters let them talk bad about chuck because that means we know……

chuck!!!♥♥

7. Lou says:

I can cope with it being the final series, they can wrap it up properly and give a happy ending to all the characters.

8. David says:

I admit I don’t and haven’t watched Chuck at all but with the announcements that NBC has made about the crappier than usual shows that it’s picking up for the upcoming fall season – I tend to think that Chuck will probably get a full season pickup at some point. I mean a magic cop show? Really?

9. Brandon says:

Final season? Oh no. :(

10. Tim says:

91 episodes and 5 seasons is great. Knowing it’s the final season either way is still great. The writers can finish up all the open storylines.

11. Brynna says:

I so sad that it’s going to end, but I’m so happy that it’ll have the chance to wrap things up for us fans who have watched loyally for the past four seasons.

12. David says:

My guess is if Wonder Woman had been picked up, Chuck would have been canceled. Since it wasn’t, they got the final 13 eps.

13. Michelle says:

Harry’s Law fans are older like my mother.

14. Aiden says:

Fifth and FINAL… I guess that’s a good thing. At least this time they writers don’t have to struggle with the uncertainty of its renewal again and they can give a show a proper and expectedly satisfying send-off. Hey, for a perennial bubble show like CHUCK, this is an awesome thing. This way, the finale would be a total closure and this year’s Comic Con will kick butt harder than ever. This is way better than ending this amazing show with this year’s Chuck vs. the Cliffhanger.

15. Jasonbres says:

I hope I’m not the only guy who is okay with season five being the final season. I mean at least they will get a proper ending.

16. Brad says:

Gotta get those last 9 episodes for the magic syndication 100.

17. wannabE says:

This is good news .. no doubt about that but somehaw they are also bittersweet news .. it’s like delay the missery with 13 eps confirmed friday the 13 :(
    But i guess all good things come to an end :P
    I just hope for a happy ending to the series and great careers for the cast & crew ;) (and why not for a real life Z/Y relationship.. i think everybody will be ok with that except for her bf :D )
    2bad it won’t hit the magic number’100′ :(

• Tim says:

I’ve been wondering if the 13 episode order is concrete or if there’s still a chance for a full season pickup. Honestly if it isn’t know fairly early into the production of Season 5 I’d rather just have the 13 so the writers aren’t strapped for something to do after the first 13 are over.

18. Marcin says:

I hope, that they will do 5th season.

19. Lele says:

Good and bad news. Happy it’s coming back. Sad that this will be the end. Guess I will give up ALL NBC shows once it is gone. They take my Chuck, then I don’t watch anything from them. My boycot my not be noticed but it will make me feel better.

• Michael says:

Instead of canceling the show and having the last episode be this Monday with no sense of closure, they are telling everyone involved that this is the last season. They are giving everyone who makes the show possible a chance to tell a great, final story and tie up anything for the fans. It’s times like these to be grateful to TV networks. Any other network would have just said “Nah, who cares?” and canceled it this season, heck two seasons ago! A final season is sad but it’s one more season than we would have had (and sorry, I rhymed there).

• Emtifah says:

Totally true. It’s a lot like the situation that Ugly betty had. Ugly Betty was really struggling the second and third season before it was announced that season 4 would be the last. I think that really allowed the writers to go to town and those final batch of UB episodes were very strong. Glad that Chuck will get a chance to come back and wrap things up. Also, I think they stand a good chance of getting syndicated, I’m not sure how strong the 100 episodes for syndication rule is considering that there are many single season shows that have managed to get syndication.

20. Nat says:

13 episodes if this is Chuck’s final season it should be 24. NBC might ordered the 11 episodes back. I hope so.

21. PaulH says:

Those pics Josh Schwartz has of various NBC execs in compromising positions are sure paying off. Again.

22. teresa says:

Why the last season? If everything bombs or they move it away from House, it could really pick up some ratings. Then I bet it wouldn’t be last.

I bet it gets an extension.

23. Kristina says:

I love Chuck and have since the beginning but it was just okay this season. There were some very funny scenes and episodes but overall it was just alright. BUT I’m glad it’s coming back for another season and I think Season 5 is an excellent place to end the series. Looking forward to the finale on Monday and next season’s Chuck!

24. A5Brooklyn says:

Really wish season 5 would be a full season and finish with a total of 100 episodes. As sad I as knowning Season 5 is the final, at least Chuck will end properly unlike other NBC shows(Heroes). Geeks are losing a lot next season, other than Chuck, no more V, Smallville and Breaking In was barely given a chance, not to mention Women Woman was doomed from the start.

25. Courtney says:

YESSSSSS. Michael, I could kiss you. I’d basically expected that if Chuck got picked up for another season, it would be the last, so this is welcome news! YAY!

26. Cat says:

Glad to have 13 episodes to bid farewell! I’m really surprised “Harry’s Law” got picked up. Aren’t people sick of David E. Kelly’s shtick yet?

27. Stephanie says:

Why does the 5th season have to be the last? There’s so much potential for Chuck to continue and be a long-time spy comedy/drama series if the writing can get to where it was at the beginning. While NBC did pick up the series for 13 years, they’ve been known for making very boneheaded moves regarding various series. Remember Baywatch? Quantum Leap? Star Trek? Come on, NBC, don’t give up the ghost on the ONLY show that’s bring in viewers (other than the Voice) and making a profit for your network!

28. Gord says:

It’s rather a bittersweet moment. I’m happy about getting s5, but not that they are closing the door on additional seasons – even though more seasons would be such a long shot.

At least we can sit back and enjoy without having to be obsessive about the weekly ratings. I guess it also gives the cast and crew more time to plan for their futures.

Realistically, I knew that the show couldn’t last forever and this is 3 more seasons of Chuck than many expected to see, but at the end of S5 it will still be hard to say goodbye.

There will likely never be another show like Chuck. It has the perfect blend of comedy, drama, and action that is executed so well by the superb cast.

On the plus side, I’m sure that the show runners, cast and crew of Chuck are going to reward us with one awesome final season.

29. Me says:

Yeah I don’t think the 100 episode rule is hard and fast, I mean look at Enterprise, that only got 98 and the network formerly known as Sci Fi still plays it. And of course the awesomeness that is Firefly, though that shouldn’t count cause one episode of theirs is worth ten of anything else. Though I would love if it got the next nine just to say that it DID get the full 100. I’ll missing having weekly Yvonne Strahovski, but at least, like everyone’s saying, we will get closure and not have to stress. Thank you NBC. This makes up for Heroes.

• Carrie says:

It definitely is not. Star Trek (TOS) had like 80 episodes and it was syndicated. And now shows are being sold into syndication very early. I think Modern Family already has a syndication deal in the works and Grey’s and DH have been airing in syndication for years. Sarah Connor Chronicles are in syndication as well now on SyFy and they had 31 episodes.

30. Shel says:

Go Chuck! Yes, it’s bittersweet in that it’s a final season, but I appreciate NBC showing fans, cast, and showrunners the courtesy of keeping it on for 13 more episodes despite the poor ratings…and for billing it as a final season so the showrunners can plan a good, clean wrap up. :) Too often shows these days don’t get that.

31. Shel says:

This on the day of the smallville finale? It’s too depressing to think about! At least it got renewed!!

32. daniel says:

you know its the best news ever since i just read that all my favorite tv shows on abc especially(Mr.Sunshine) got cancelled it was devastating but now i at least know that chuck is coming back this fall i love it even if its for a final season the most important thing is that they exist it normally with a happy ending

33. 5MChuckFan says:

SO GLAD that Chuck was renewed for another season!! Big shout out to the cast, crew and the rest of Team Bartowski!
    We can only hope that once again the Peacock network will run shows in the fall that won’t last past a few episodes and Chuck’s season will again be lengthened to a respectable season for syndication. IF not, we Chuck fans will be happy in the knowledge that we were able to bring the show back from the edge on so many occasions by the sheer dint of AWESOMENESS and support for the show’s advertisers, who also it appears, are glad for the renewal. Well done WORLD TEAM BARTOWSKI!

34. Bethany says:

I’m totally thrilled! I had just about lost all faith in NBC. Yay Chuck! I’ll be so sad to see it go, but knowing ahead of time will definitely help prepare me… Yeah right. I’m going to be sobbing through the next 13 episodes.

35. 2cool4school says:

M8s .. i wish Chuck would come back for another 10 seasons but don’t put your hopes up in the back 9 order cause it’s not going to happen ..
    First proof of that (if Renewed for fifth and final 13 wasn’t enough) is that the cast(Yvonne Strahovski in particular) are already finding other gigs. So.. it had a good run and it is one of the most enjoyable shows that aired on NBC ever but i think it’s time to let it go as sad that might sound ;)

36. bob says:

YAY 4 the 5th season…lets all support chuck n keep our fingers crossed for more than just 13 eps or this being the final season…and supporting subway dun hurt either..

• Josh says:

If it meant keeping chuck on the air I would eat Subway every day for breakfast lunch and dinner. Even if I had to get another job to pay for it lol

37. Mdz says:

SOOOOO HAPPY!!!! Best news today!!! Don’t really want to think of the final season part:(.. so I’m just going to stay with the fact we get a 5th season..YAYYYYYYY!
    Just one last request..it would be great if there were 22 episode..That way, I think they could rap up all the different stories better..:)

38. Anonymousfish says:

Just give “Chuck” 100 episodes!!!!!

39. Fence Sitter says:

I responded earlier on to anna (before I realised “she” was a hit and run troller,) but I’d also like to say … it may well be a final season while NBC balks at cutting too much into their budget, and really, the show has only continued with support of sponsoring advertisers. Chuck fans can only hope it will all change if a savvy, large and most importantly appropriate sponsor was to arrive on the scene.

Few shows to my knowledge have ever managed to get its fans apart from subconsciously via product placement, to consider the advertising sponsors. Many like myself are only aware through knowing advertisers have helped to keep this great series going.

40. This is for Anna, I was thinking that about Angel and all the good Whedon shows- my favorite ones. True, they have loyal fan bases like Chuck, maybe even bigger than Chucks- but not of them are as organized or as ingenious. We found a way (3 seasons running) to keep Chuck on the air. There is something to be said about that. Perhaps maybe, if Whedon fans had done that for Firefly Instead of just complaining about it would have happened too. Actually, I KNOW it would have happened because it worked here. So no more of this Emo stuff, next time there’s a show you LOVE and are passionate about it, get Chuckin’ quit complaining and start working for it. Thanks!

41. molly says:

Yes!!! I’m so glad Chuck is coming back! Thank you NBC. I’m sad it will only be a 13 episode season but it is better then nothing! :)

42. david says:

CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK

43. Josh says:

It amazes me with the line up that NBC has that they continually go through this every year. I am truly beginning to wonder if the people at NBC have any idea how to run a television network…oh wait they don’t which is why they are merging with comcast because the execs at NBC have killed almost every show they have/had worth watching. The Knight Rider reboot had a lot of promise then instead of fixing the bad decisions they made with the plotlines they just cancelled it,same with Heroes. I loved Heroes and will admit that the final two seasons were lackluster but they weren’t so terrible that you just put them down and then come up with another *sarcastic shock* reality show based on singing. Really? It’s not bad enough that American Idol and other craptastic reality shows are still dumbing down an already borderline American public they constantly kill REAL tv shows for this garbage. The problem with scripted shows is that they have to pay people to write them, get Real actors who have talent (also not as cheap as the next dumb american wanting his 15 minutes of fame) and the fans actually need to have functioning cognitive processes to follow them. Though to be fair Fox is just as notorious for cancelling perfectly good shows, which is why as good as I have heard that Bones and Fringe are I refuse to watch them, or anything on Fox for that matter,until they are wrapped up because I can’t stand to get into another good show and then lose it just when I start to truly enjoy it. I watched all 9 or 10 episodes of The Cape, the show they cancelled Heroes for, boy was THAT a good decision! I also have followed The Event all season, though I still have the last couple episodes to watch I thought it was a good show with lots of potential and instead of putting in the work to make it great they cancel it.?!?!? NBC wants a show that will instantly become the next House, or Two and A Half Men, or any other successful show with a loyal fanbase and ridiculous ratings. You can’t start a show, not advertise it and then cancel when no one knows about it. Well actually you can as NBC and Fox have demonstrated repeatedly, but hence NBC still SUCKS, and Fox, well honestly I couldn’t care less. But again to be fair it isn’t entirely the networks fault the advertisers are just as much to blame. If companies relied on making valuable, lasting products that there is an actual demand for they wouldn’t need to waste so much money trying to shove products we don’t need or want to hear about down our throats. I can’t believe I am going to write this but I would almost rather pay for basic channels just so the ratings and advertising was no longer relevant to whether or not my favorite shows are cancelled. But bottomline at least Chuck is renewed, hopefully NBC comes to their senses soon and gives them a full episode order, though it will sadden me to lose another great show at the end of next season considering that we have already lost Smallville. Granted Smallville was on for a decade and needed to end sometime I fear what kind of trash will be put on in its place. At least Smallville was on the CW whose execs at least SEEM to know what they are doing in renewing Supernatural, though they really didn’t have a choice unless they wanted to lose all of their friday night viewers. I apologize for this long winded rant but I have read too many unintelligent posts from people hating on Chuck and I felt the need to vent and though I normally don’t like naming people in particular Anna, people like you with your attitude and apparent lack of intellect make me feel you should have to get a license to have children just like marriage because people like yourself need to be banned from the gene pool. I will admit I have never seen Harry’s Law or whatever show it is that you follow like a religion after having read your comments I never intend to which is sad because it may be a really good show and now I will never know because an ignorant sack of flesh like yourself turned me off of it because well because your an imbecilic whiny child. With that said GO TEAM BARTOWSKI FOREVER!

• Ralphgmiami says:

Josh don’t feel bad as I think Anna or these other Chuck haters are either in bred or dropped on their head as a child. Chuck is the complete package as it has humor, action, drama, romance. Hopefully the fanbase may boom out. Don’t forget that Seinfeld didn’t really explode in it’s ratings until the fourth season. I’m going to order my season 5 DVD set from dhgate website where it’s wholesale.

44. Melissa Zimmerman says:

I sure hope so! We love Chuck!

45. Christopher Ziadeh says:

I have a chuck poster and season 1, 2, 3 and can’t wait to buy the 4th season, and can not wait to watch the 5th season. I am very very sad to see it go, I thought that it could go for at least to a 6th season, hopefully another channel will buy it?? Well at least I will have the DVD’s to watch over and over.

46. Chris says:

I get nauseated thinking how I get addicted to a show, and then it’s gone before it hit the floor running. I miss shows like: Prison Break, Journey Man, Nip/Tuck and Heroes. CHUCK is gonna be dearly missed. At least, if NBC doesn’t want it on the main network, move it to what used to be known as the CW/WB network, so we die hard fans can continue watching.

47. lauren says:

season 5 can’t be the last season!!! and now sarah and chuck are together, its gonna be such a sweet and awesome spy movie! and morgan shouldnt be the only intersect! i so wanna see chuck and sarah back into action!

48. lauren says:

can’t stop watching chuck! gonna rewatch since episode 13, season 3 again!! love the fact that they are finally together! :) i have my finals in a weeks time but chuck is just so addictive! please not let chuck season 5 be the season finale! :(

49. Rk says:

You all just need to shut the hell up. This is THE LAST SEASON and I’m glad. I hate Sarah…CHUCK IS TOO GOOD FOR HER!’n

50. Ralphgmiami says:

I’d like to see Chuck in its fifth season fighting AlQueda and the Taliban. The problem with season 4 was that Volkoff was a Russian. Even though Volkoff was a CIA agent whose identity took over in his mind, the US is no longer at odds with Russia. What is great about Chuck is that it’s a FUN SHOW TO WATCH!!!!!!I’d like it to end with Chuck, Sarah, Casey and Morgan putting an end to all terrorists. Do not kill any members of Team Bartowski off. I’d also like to see Jeff Barnes and Lester Patel make it to the big time as their group Jeffster becomes a super group. Now for those of you who believe in the Nielsen ratings let me tell you this. This former New Yorker has only been contacted once by Nielsen. That was when I was watching one of the games in the 1981 World Series. In Philadelphia they had a save our Chuck campaign two years ago and two million people showed up. That’s just in one city. I suspect Chuck’s viewership is higher than a faulty rating system like Nieslen ratings can show. I’d like to see Chuck go to a 10th season as I’d like to see them take on terrorists and win.