It's Official: NBC Renews Chuck For Fifth (and Final) Season

Get More: News, Renewals, Scoop

It’s official: Chuck Bartowski is the luckiest spy in television history.

Sources confirm to TVLine that Chuck has cheated death once again and will return for a fifth — and final — season this fall.

NBC declined to comment, but I hear the show will be back for a 13-episode farewell season.

Chuck Spoiler Alert: New Season Finale Intel

As reported on Thursday, fellow Peacock bubble shows Parenthood and Harry’s Law have also been renewed. No word yet on the fate of Outsourced. The Event and Law & Order: LA, meanwhile, have been axed.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated!

Tags: ,

Comments (374)

• If NBC cancels Outsourced, they should just move it to Thursdays with Community and Parks and Recs. Oh that would be a sweet lineup!

Comment by Ana – May 11, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Honestly, that would probably end up being the lowest rated Thursday ever for NBC with a line-up like that.

Comment by DryedMangoez – May 11, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes ! I am so happy right now !

Given The Chicago Code and Human Target were cancelled by FOX, I didn’t want to see another of my favourites dramas go away.

If NBC renews Chuck for a (final) 22 episode season, Chuck would have a 100 episodes, which means syndication, which means a subsequent amount of money for NBC and Warner Bros. That might be a key element. If they renew Chuck, it has to be for 22 episodes imo.

Maybe NBC could renew The Event as well (okay, that is an extremely long shot, I know, but it’s an extremely good entertainment). And Outsourced too, this show is good stuff, not as good as the other 4 comedies but still, it’s a keeper.

But this thread is about Chuck, and this news makes my day.

Now I’m going to eat a Subway sandwich while NBC’s Parks and Recreation on my Macbook Pro (subtle product placement ftw).

Comment by Bunky Bunk – May 11, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The 100 episodes thing is spot on, I’ve been thinking that ever since we got the back 11 pick up this year.

Comment by Zy – May 11, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CANNOT BELIEVE IT.I honestly thought it was a goner. Go CHUCK!!!

Comment by lei – May 11, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • would be better if the viewer count increases!!!!
    US dudes… watch it

Comment by anonymous – May 11, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AGHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH “Fox killing spree”—so true..

RENEW: LAW AND ORDER LOS ANGELES AND SVU AND PARENTHOOD AND THEN I’l BE THE HAPPIEST PERSON ALIVE!!

Comment by Shawn – May 11, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please become official soon. That rocks!

Comment by awelle – May 11, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my God! Is this true? If it is, Thank you NBC for renewing Chuck and thank you Ausiello for sharing this with us.

Comment by Melissa – May 11, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssss

Comment by Lud – May 11, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for this to be official! I didn’t start watching “Chuck” until this season and it’s already one of my favorites. With “Fringe” being renewed, “Chuck” was the last one of the shows I really was hoping I wouldn’t have to live without next fall. THANKS, NBC!

Comment by Stacey – May 11, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s hoping for a full season pickup, but this is better than nothing! Having a new Chuck to look forward to always chases away the Monday blues.

Comment by Jill – May 11, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAYYYYYYYYY! I miss Medium so much and they canceled The Closer. Besides those Chuck is the only show I watch. WoW! This is great!

I am grateful for 13 episodes; of course sometimes this length limits the plot.

Now if they would only move it to 9 pm on Mondays. I am not sure it really qualifies as an 8 pm show with murder and all. I would really like to see Chuck away from House.

Comment by Teresa – May 11, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It wouldn’t matter. Chuck will NEVER generate high ratings regardless of where it moves to. It’s just the nature of *that* particular beast. I compare it to FNL.

Comment by Tania – May 11, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All the outstanding quality programs that NBC cancelled over the years and yet they stick with the extremely low rated, lost-its cuteness-after-season one Chuck. Well, judging by the responses above, it is kiddie show; can’t lose that demographic I guess.

Comment by Tania – May 11, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m always curious what the trolls consider a quality show when they come on another show’s message board to slam it. I’m guessing it can’t be all that quality because they always refuse to say!!! Oh, and for the record, I’m 52 … no kiddie here … I just love the humor and think it’s a fun show.

Comment by Maryb – May 11, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow, Maryb, you must have the hots for trolls.

Comment by Jake – May 11, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Jake: because …. ???

Comment by Maryb – May 11, 2011 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OK, I’ll give you quality:

Las Vegas, Crossing Jordan, Cold Case, Ghost Whisperer, Lie To Me, Human Target, Ugly Betty, Without a Trace, Harry’s Law, Numb3rs, The Chicago Code, The Good Wife, Women’s Murder Club, Brothers And Sisters, The Forgotton, Breaking In…

Comment by Anna – May 11, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Anna: With the exception of Ugly Betty they are all dramas. See, I knew it was because you had no sense of humor. Actually, I do/did like many of the shows you list. I love a good meaty drama. I also love a good light-hearted comedy. As such, I don’t take myself so seriously and come trolling on message boards of shows I don’t like and try to pick fights with the show’s fans. You (and Jake) really need to find a new hobby.

Comment by Maryb – May 11, 2011 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL you’re a fat b.itch, go back to your cheesecake and to your dildo, loser.

Comment by Coolio – May 13, 2011 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One of the reasons why it has low ratings is b/c it’s up against Dancing with the Stars, House and HIMYM. All of them have been on longer than Chuck. It is still a popular show or there wouldn’t be so much news online about it or people always wanting to know what the scoop is. The fanbase is fantastic and very loyal.

Comment by Becca – May 11, 2011 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • HIMYM? I was thinking of Monday Night Football, myself.

Comment by Peter – May 11, 2011 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Being a fan of Fringe, I know what it means to hope for renewal and how good it feels when your show gets picked up for more episodes. I watched Chuck from the beginning, but stopped watching halfway through this season. It just happened. I’d had enough. Although I would’ve preferred it if NBC would’ve used this slot for a fresh, scripted show, I’m ok with rabid Chuck fans getting their closure. But 13 episodes and that’s it. Got it?

Comment by Jason – May 11, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wait a second … you said “fresh, scripted show” … on NBC? Yeah that’s going to happen …

Comment by Maryb – May 11, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm, 13 episodes isn’t very many. I’m kind of annoyed that 13-episode seasons are becoming a trend on TV, but that’s because I’m so impatient I can’t stand to wait 9 months between television seasons. I get bored. But, regardless, good for Chuck! Maybe if I go get subway for dinner tonight, that will up the odds of more eps? =) And that is awesome news for Parenthood. I’m also waiting to hear good news about SVU, still. Get on that, NBC.

Comment by Amber – May 11, 2011 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope it gets picked up – go Team Chuck!

Comment by Nate – May 11, 2011 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DUDE, THAT IS SO AWESOME.
    Does this mean we might get to see a baby Bartowski? :)

Comment by Zy – May 11, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE move away from Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Nick – May 11, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best thing I’ve ever heard, especially after Fox’s disappointment last night. Go Chuck!

Comment by Brandon – May 11, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I rarely – if ever – comment, but this news just made SO happy. Looking forward to season 4′s dvd release so I can buy it to show my support. It ain’t easy for non-americans to support your favorite shows.

NBC, you rule!

Comment by Kasper – May 11, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the greatest news ever!!!!!!! Please god let this be true. Long live Team Bartowski!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Jeff – May 11, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This gives me some relief, but I’m still waiting for the official announcement before I celebrate too much! But I wish they would grant it more than 13 episodes so that they can plan their arcs accordingly and the seasons don’t seem disjointed. Having said that, I’ll take as much of CHUCK as I can get!

Comment by Cass – May 11, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • o0o my gosh… im crying right now!!! this is the best news i have ever read in my entire life!!!! im so happy right now!!! these are tears of pure elation! ♥

Comment by renee – May 11, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comment by Chad – May 11, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woot! Way to go Chuck!

Comment by Sarah S – May 11, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck Vs. The 5th Season Pickup
    Aw Spoiler Alert! :)

This is the greatest news of all time. I am so happy to see Chuck returning for another seasons to have many more adventures!

Comment by Jason – May 11, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Comment by Eric – May 11, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck! Chuck! Chuck!

At last some good news! Thank you NBC!

Comment by JHarnes – May 11, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • VICTORY!!!!!

Comment by Amron – May 11, 2011 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yesterday’s birthday wish came true!!

Comment by Katie – May 11, 2011 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously..If that is what you are wishing for on your birthday, you seriously need to get a life.

Comment by Victoria – May 11, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nice sentiment there, chicky. Are you really Jake/Vicky/adolescent troll??

Comment by Sassy – May 12, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bwahahhaha Chuck for life!

Comment by Phillip – May 11, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Re: Chuck. Atrocious show, abysmal ratings, total irrational decision, esp in light of the impending cancellation of LOLA, which after all, is still in its freshman year and has shows creative growth.
    Just unfair.
    Good on Parenthood though. That one is well deserved.

Comment by M – May 11, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t put down another show just because your preferred didn’t get renewed. Chuck is nothing near “atrocious”.

Even people who aren’t fans of the show will easily pin this comment as bitter.

If you want your opinion taken seriously, be a little less emotional about it. “Atrocious show” HA! NBC doesn’t seem to agree, and that’s all that matters to most of the people reading this article!! :)

Comment by Dane – May 11, 2011 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HELL YEAH!!! BEEN A CHUCK FAN SINCE IT CAME OUT!!! HAVE ALL SEASON DISCS THE COMICS!! CHUCK IS JUST TOO AWESOME TO GIVE UP!!!!

Comment by Jess – May 11, 2011 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck has 9 lives, it can’t die…WOW

Comment by bmospr04 – May 11, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If its true then I will be watching as I do every Monday at 8. Since NBC only has two shows I watch then they will still have 50% of my NBC viewing on. It will be 100% with Parenthood back on.

Comment by BrianR – May 11, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SORRY EVERYONE. I THINK CHUCK RAN ITS COURSE AND THIS YEAR I HAVE LOST INTEREST I HAVE THE LAST 6 EPISODES DVR’D BUT PROBALLY WILL DELETE RATHER THAN WATCH.

Comment by JAY – May 11, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You should watch them… Finding it hard to believe you are a fan because last season with “shaw” was MUCH lower quality than what they have consistently put out this year… That’s with added eps too.

Comment by Dane – May 11, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously, no lowercase? Your opinion of Chuck is invalid due to your inability to type like a normal person.

Comment by Brandon – May 11, 2011 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Brandon your comment is useless. How can a network survive renewing shows with viewership less than 4 million viewers?

Comment by jay – May 12, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If their target demographic is high and greatly desired by advertisers.

Comment by Ana – May 12, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

NBC, you cannot possibly know how happy you have made me. I am eternally grateful. Will be buying all seasons on DVD.

Comment by Dane – May 11, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hip Hip Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!! I confess before the world…
    I LIKE THAT SHOW!!!

Nuff said.

Comment by mannuli – May 11, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK WILL NEVER DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Kevin – May 11, 2011 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST NEWS EVER!

Comment by Aiden – May 11, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best unofficial news I’ve heard in a long tome.

Comment by Igloo – May 11, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AHHH! Best news ever! Chuck and Parenthood!

Comment by em – May 11, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not going to get happy until I hear an official renewal occurring.

Good news though.

What’s the chance it isn’t renewed at this point anyways?

Comment by Tim – May 11, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by KSHEP – May 11, 2011 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so ecstatic that I honestly don’t mind if it gets moved to Fridays. Perhaps that would even improve its chance of getting a full 22 episode season.

Comment by veronica – May 11, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • guess they don’t anything else.

Comment by Helena – May 11, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know I’m in the minority for this one, but I wish they’d take this very surprise renewal as a chance to plot out a really fantastic ending. The show feels like it’s stretched so far from it’s original premise, and not in a good way… I don’t know, they’re just on the bubble every single year, it’d be nice to see them pull a Seinfeld instead of .

Comment by Em – May 11, 2011 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are not alone. I love this show, probably my favorite show ever, but I think they need to take this as a hint, that they won’t live forever, and ink a deal that makes this the 5th and final season, and makes it epic!!!

Comment by Benn – May 11, 2011 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I wish they would move it away from DWTS.. or wait.. ABC should move DWTS to .. FRIDAY! I am just glad it is renewed. My one show I watch rolls on.

Comment by Carol – May 11, 2011 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay! i love me some chuck! i hope they get full when they come back. :D

Comment by dede – May 11, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People should thank WB for the return of chuck cause the show is very close to a cancellation but it seems WB wants the show to return, could be because they might have a buyer for the syndication deal

Comment by Ben – May 11, 2011 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post