It's Official: NBC Renews Chuck For Fifth (and Final) Season

It’s official: Chuck Bartowski is the luckiest spy in television history.

Sources confirm to TVLine that Chuck has cheated death once again and will return for a fifth — and final — season this fall.

NBC declined to comment, but I hear the show will be back for a 13-episode farewell season.

Chuck Spoiler Alert: New Season Finale Intel

As reported on Thursday, fellow Peacock bubble shows Parenthood and Harry’s Law have also been renewed. No word yet on the fate of Outsourced. The Event and Law & Order: LA, meanwhile, have been axed.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Renewals, Scoop

1. Ana says:

If NBC cancels Outsourced, they should just move it to Thursdays with Community and Parks and Recs. Oh that would be a sweet lineup!

2. Bunky Bunk says:

Yes ! I am so happy right now !

Given The Chicago Code and Human Target were cancelled by FOX, I didn’t want to see another of my favourites dramas go away.

If NBC renews Chuck for a (final) 22 episode season, Chuck would have a 100 episodes, which means syndication, which means a subsequent amount of money for NBC and Warner Bros. That might be a key element. If they renew Chuck, it has to be for 22 episodes imo.

Maybe NBC could renew The Event as well (okay, that is an extremely long shot, I know, but it’s an extremely good entertainment). And Outsourced too, this show is good stuff, not as good as the other 4 comedies but still, it’s a keeper.

But this thread is about Chuck, and this news makes my day.

Now I’m going to eat a Subway sandwich while NBC’s Parks and Recreation on my Macbook Pro (subtle product placement ftw).

• Zy says:

The 100 episodes thing is spot on, I’ve been thinking that ever since we got the back 11 pick up this year.

3. lei says:

CANNOT BELIEVE IT.I honestly thought it was a goner. Go CHUCK!!!

4. anonymous says:

would be better if the viewer count increases!!!!
    US dudes… watch it

5. Shawn says:

AGHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH “Fox killing spree”—so true..

RENEW: LAW AND ORDER LOS ANGELES AND SVU AND PARENTHOOD AND THEN I’l BE THE HAPPIEST PERSON ALIVE!!

6. awelle says:

Please become official soon. That rocks!

7. Melissa says:

Oh my God! Is this true? If it is, Thank you NBC for renewing Chuck and thank you Ausiello for sharing this with us.

8. Lud says:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssss

9. Stacey says:

Can’t wait for this to be official! I didn’t start watching “Chuck” until this season and it’s already one of my favorites. With “Fringe” being renewed, “Chuck” was the last one of the shows I really was hoping I wouldn’t have to live without next fall. THANKS, NBC!

10. Jill says:

Here’s hoping for a full season pickup, but this is better than nothing! Having a new Chuck to look forward to always chases away the Monday blues.

11. Teresa says:

YAYYYYYYYYY! I miss Medium so much and they canceled The Closer. Besides those Chuck is the only show I watch. WoW! This is great!

I am grateful for 13 episodes; of course sometimes this length limits the plot.

Now if they would only move it to 9 pm on Mondays. I am not sure it really qualifies as an 8 pm show with murder and all. I would really like to see Chuck away from House.

• Tania says:

It wouldn’t matter. Chuck will NEVER generate high ratings regardless of where it moves to. It’s just the nature of *that* particular beast. I compare it to FNL.

12. Tania says:

All the outstanding quality programs that NBC cancelled over the years and yet they stick with the extremely low rated, lost-its cuteness-after-season one Chuck. Well, judging by the responses above, it is kiddie show; can’t lose that demographic I guess.

• Maryb says:

I’m always curious what the trolls consider a quality show when they come on another show’s message board to slam it. I’m guessing it can’t be all that quality because they always refuse to say!!! Oh, and for the record, I’m 52 … no kiddie here … I just love the humor and think it’s a fun show.

• Jake says:

Wow, Maryb, you must have the hots for trolls.

• Anna says:

OK, I’ll give you quality:

Las Vegas, Crossing Jordan, Cold Case, Ghost Whisperer, Lie To Me, Human Target, Ugly Betty, Without a Trace, Harry’s Law, Numb3rs, The Chicago Code, The Good Wife, Women’s Murder Club, Brothers And Sisters, The Forgotton, Breaking In…

• Maryb says:

@Anna: With the exception of Ugly Betty they are all dramas. See, I knew it was because you had no sense of humor. Actually, I do/did like many of the shows you list. I love a good meaty drama. I also love a good light-hearted comedy. As such, I don’t take myself so seriously and come trolling on message boards of shows I don’t like and try to pick fights with the show’s fans. You (and Jake) really need to find a new hobby.

• Coolio says:

LOL you’re a fat b.itch, go back to your cheesecake and to your dildo, loser.

• Becca says:

One of the reasons why it has low ratings is b/c it’s up against Dancing with the Stars, House and HIMYM. All of them have been on longer than Chuck. It is still a popular show or there wouldn’t be so much news online about it or people always wanting to know what the scoop is. The fanbase is fantastic and very loyal.

13. Jason says:

Being a fan of Fringe, I know what it means to hope for renewal and how good it feels when your show gets picked up for more episodes. I watched Chuck from the beginning, but stopped watching halfway through this season. It just happened. I’d had enough. Although I would’ve preferred it if NBC would’ve used this slot for a fresh, scripted show, I’m ok with rabid Chuck fans getting their closure. But 13 episodes and that’s it. Got it?

14. Amber says:

Hmm, 13 episodes isn’t very many. I’m kind of annoyed that 13-episode seasons are becoming a trend on TV, but that’s because I’m so impatient I can’t stand to wait 9 months between television seasons. I get bored. But, regardless, good for Chuck! Maybe if I go get subway for dinner tonight, that will up the odds of more eps? =) And that is awesome news for Parenthood. I’m also waiting to hear good news about SVU, still. Get on that, NBC.

15. Nate says:

I really hope it gets picked up – go Team Chuck!

16. Zy says:

DUDE, THAT IS SO AWESOME.
    Does this mean we might get to see a baby Bartowski? :)

17. Nick says:

PLEASE move away from Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Brandon says:

This is the best thing I’ve ever heard, especially after Fox’s disappointment last night. Go Chuck!

19. Kasper says:

I rarely – if ever – comment, but this news just made SO happy. Looking forward to season 4’s dvd release so I can buy it to show my support. It ain’t easy for non-americans to support your favorite shows.

NBC, you rule!

20. Jeff says:

This is the greatest news ever!!!!!!! Please god let this be true. Long live Team Bartowski!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Cass says:

This gives me some relief, but I’m still waiting for the official announcement before I celebrate too much! But I wish they would grant it more than 13 episodes so that they can plan their arcs accordingly and the seasons don’t seem disjointed. Having said that, I’ll take as much of CHUCK as I can get!

22. renee says:

o0o my gosh… im crying right now!!! this is the best news i have ever read in my entire life!!!! im so happy right now!!! these are tears of pure elation! ♥

23. Chad says:

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

24. Sarah S says:

Woot! Way to go Chuck!

25. Jason says:

Chuck Vs. The 5th Season Pickup
    Aw Spoiler Alert! :)

This is the greatest news of all time. I am so happy to see Chuck returning for another seasons to have many more adventures!

26. Eric says:

WHOOOOOOOOO!!!!

27. JHarnes says:

Chuck! Chuck! Chuck!

At last some good news! Thank you NBC!

28. Amron says:

VICTORY!!!!!

29. Katie says:

Yesterday’s birthday wish came true!!

30. Victoria says:

Seriously..If that is what you are wishing for on your birthday, you seriously need to get a life.

31. Phillip says:

Bwahahhaha Chuck for life!

32. M says:

Re: Chuck. Atrocious show, abysmal ratings, total irrational decision, esp in light of the impending cancellation of LOLA, which after all, is still in its freshman year and has shows creative growth.
    Just unfair.
    Good on Parenthood though. That one is well deserved.

• Dane says:

Don’t put down another show just because your preferred didn’t get renewed. Chuck is nothing near “atrocious”.

Even people who aren’t fans of the show will easily pin this comment as bitter.

If you want your opinion taken seriously, be a little less emotional about it. “Atrocious show” HA! NBC doesn’t seem to agree, and that’s all that matters to most of the people reading this article!! :)

33. Jess says:

HELL YEAH!!! BEEN A CHUCK FAN SINCE IT CAME OUT!!! HAVE ALL SEASON DISCS THE COMICS!! CHUCK IS JUST TOO AWESOME TO GIVE UP!!!!

34. bmospr04 says:

Chuck has 9 lives, it can’t die…WOW

35. BrianR says:

If its true then I will be watching as I do every Monday at 8. Since NBC only has two shows I watch then they will still have 50% of my NBC viewing on. It will be 100% with Parenthood back on.

36. JAY says:

SORRY EVERYONE. I THINK CHUCK RAN ITS COURSE AND THIS YEAR I HAVE LOST INTEREST I HAVE THE LAST 6 EPISODES DVR’D BUT PROBALLY WILL DELETE RATHER THAN WATCH.

• Dane says:

You should watch them… Finding it hard to believe you are a fan because last season with “shaw” was MUCH lower quality than what they have consistently put out this year… That’s with added eps too.

• Brandon says:

Seriously, no lowercase? Your opinion of Chuck is invalid due to your inability to type like a normal person.

37. Dane says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

NBC, you cannot possibly know how happy you have made me. I am eternally grateful. Will be buying all seasons on DVD.

38. mannuli says:

Hip Hip Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!! I confess before the world…
    I LIKE THAT SHOW!!!

Nuff said.

39. Kevin says:

CHUCK WILL NEVER DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. Aiden says:

BEST NEWS EVER!

41. Igloo says:

This is the best unofficial news I’ve heard in a long tome.

42. em says:

AHHH! Best news ever! Chuck and Parenthood!

43. Tim says:

Not going to get happy until I hear an official renewal occurring.

Good news though.

What’s the chance it isn’t renewed at this point anyways?

44. KSHEP says:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. veronica says:

I’m so ecstatic that I honestly don’t mind if it gets moved to Fridays. Perhaps that would even improve its chance of getting a full 22 episode season.

46. Helena says:

guess they don’t anything else.

47. Em says:

I know I’m in the minority for this one, but I wish they’d take this very surprise renewal as a chance to plot out a really fantastic ending. The show feels like it’s stretched so far from it’s original premise, and not in a good way… I don’t know, they’re just on the bubble every single year, it’d be nice to see them pull a Seinfeld instead of .

• Benn says:

You are not alone. I love this show, probably my favorite show ever, but I think they need to take this as a hint, that they won’t live forever, and ink a deal that makes this the 5th and final season, and makes it epic!!!

48. Carol says:

Yay! I wish they would move it away from DWTS.. or wait.. ABC should move DWTS to .. FRIDAY! I am just glad it is renewed. My one show I watch rolls on.

49. dede says:

yay! i love me some chuck! i hope they get full when they come back. :D

50. Ben says:

People should thank WB for the return of chuck cause the show is very close to a cancellation but it seems WB wants the show to return, could be because they might have a buyer for the syndication deal