It's Official: NBC Renews Chuck For Fifth (and Final) Season

It’s official: Chuck Bartowski is the luckiest spy in television history.

Sources confirm to TVLine that Chuck has cheated death once again and will return for a fifth — and final — season this fall.

NBC declined to comment, but I hear the show will be back for a 13-episode farewell season.

Chuck Spoiler Alert: New Season Finale Intel

As reported on Thursday, fellow Peacock bubble shows Parenthood and Harry’s Law have also been renewed. No word yet on the fate of Outsourced. The Event and Law & Order: LA, meanwhile, have been axed.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Renewals, Scoop

1. Captain says:

This just in: NBC will never let it die.

• Dave says:

I hope so. :-)

• Anna says:

Disgusting! Harry’s Law has twice the audience of Chuck.

• campbecc says:

What’s your point? They are picking up Harry’s Law too.

• Beth says:

True, but I think it’s numbers in the 18-49 category aren’t much better than Chuck’s.

• david says:

Yes, and Harry’s Law is renewed because of it.

• Becca says:

Yes, but Chuck has a very very loyal fanbase.

• melinae says:

That’s right Rebeca… I one of those! I just love CHUCK! and I think every CHUCK fan made something to make this posible.
          I just so happy for this news

• skyfan says:

CHUCK is a cute, fun, show. Will it ever reach the thematic heights of high drama or even Firefly? Probably not. The show has a great fan base, though, so let’s enjoy Team Bartowski’s adventures while they last!

• The DR says:

I agree. I am a 38 year old physician and this is the only TV sho

• deedeedragons says:

And? Angel had a loyal fan base, Veronica Mars had a loyal fan base, Pushing Daisies had a loyal fan base. A loyal fan base means squat.

• Hexx says:

You’re right loyal fan base means squat…. that’s why Chuck has survived for five years! Chuck just had a bigger more successful fan base!!

• McCritical says:

Chuck also had the support of the sponsors and the luck to be on NBC (who seem to give promising and bright shows the chance to connect with an audience before giving them the axe).

Unlike Veronica Mars and Angel, Chuck is episodic enough that most of the episodes hold up to repeat viewings, so it should age well in reruns. The sad part is that even with the extra episodes, it won’t make it to 100 before the scheduled 5th season is finished.

But definitely agreed on Pushing Daisies, Bryan Fuller never seems to get a break. Maybe NBC will give Sellevision enough time to grab a decent audience.

• JG says:

Re: Second Season of Dollhouse

• El says:

Angel wasn’t very well done, though, at least towards the end, and it’s always difficult to make a spin-off last (especially when they begin while the original show is still airing). What happened with Pushing Daisies is just unbelievable… Again, they don’t advertise these things properly. At least not here in Australia.

• panda says:

dude i totally agree

• Amber says:

Harry’s Law may have more Fans than Chuck, but they will never fight as hard for it, as Chuck fans do. Chuck fans fight, because they love the Show. Harry’s Law will never have that.

• Bill says:

That’s simply because Harry’s Law fans are a bunch of over 50’ers who probably have absolutely no idea how to input info on a computer. Chuck isn’t getting the ratings it deserves because that stupid box is not being put in the age range households that loyal Chuck viewers are residing. I love Chuck, my in laws love Chuck. It’s a great, inventive show that has more promise than Scarecrow & Mrs. King. Yes, NBC is looking for Friends, Seinfeld, ER, anything Law and Order-ish. They are not going to get it. Chuck is suffering the same fate that Quantum Leap did 10 years ago. It’s a shame but I do hope that another network will pick up Chuck after NBC thinks they are making the right decision.

• DN says:

Dear dear Anna,
        What this renewal should tell you is that “Chuck” is a good show worth watching. Why? Unlike shows that get renewed early based on their own merit, “Chuck” has continually had to be considered better than the incoming pilot shows. Think about it, “Chuck” would not be renewed if there were new shows on the horizon that looked better.

It doesn’t hurt, of course, that “Chuck” has a staunch, loyal audience. Kind of makes you wonder what you might be missing! Oh, and why is it disgusting? Do you find “Chuck” disgusting? Really? Get some therapy, my dear, Anna.

• Laura says:

I totally agree with you!!
          Dear Anna, you love Harry’s law and noone has insulted it here. So why you have to say Chuck is disgusting? Chuck isn’t disgusting, and neither Harry’s Law, which by the way should be renewed. Why you have to talk like that about a TV show? As well as you love Harry’s Law, we love Chuck… You shouldn’t call it disgusting, especially below a post like this, which talks about its renewal. We have never talked bad about your fav TV show, and You haven’t been correct against us.
          Ps: Sorry for my english, I’m italian.

• Nick says:

I’ll insult it, Harry’s law is terrible. Its a show for boring old people. Period. Parenthood sucks too. Worst sack of crap I have ever seen.

Viva la Chuck!

• UnHoly Diver says:

It’s best not to feed the trolls; it just incites them even more. That said, if this were any other network, our favorite spy would’ve been sent packing a long time ago. The one thing I hope is that NBC lets Fedak and Schwartz know for sure that 13 eps is it. That way, they can set up a proper goodbye without having to scramble for more storylines.

• Nat says:

You may not like Chuck. It’s not a disgusting show, watch it and if you still think its disgusting fine.

• Fence Sitter says:

Like all shows they have their fans, but I believe Chuck will in 10 years, still have a large following. There’s been plenty of legal based shows I’ve tuned into every week, but there honestly needed to be more of a break between Boston Legal’s end and a show heading out into the same sort of territory.

Talking to various relatives and friends, Chuck seems to hit all the marks, even if it isn’t on top of each individuals list. It’s well written IMO and cleverly accomodates a wide diverse audience. I love it for being one of the few shows that actually leads the viewer, rather than something that is punched through a scenario matrix.

I like that Chuck falls outside of the typical police and emergency / crime solver / lawyer practice / soapy drama which makes up the bulk of shows that even though they differ, aspects within each have been done to death.

Of course I’m quite disappointed season 5 will be the last, but better a little than none.

Chuck, and I’m not a youngster, will be the very first show ever that I even consider seriously what does get advertised on it, and I guess, when I get into the big smoke I will repay Subway’s “involvement” with my custom.

• IloveChuck says:

maybe if we all watch the fifth season and get like 8 million viewers, maybe we can get a 6th season of chuck

• El says:

If only we had reached that many viewers :( I’m pretty sure they blamed the fans too – they said they’d keep it going if the ratings were high enough, but they weren’t… but there needs to be other options – like an official website where people can watch the episodes for free as if it’s TV, but it’s up for a longer period of time (like the full day, maybe) and each view counts towards the total ratings. Not everyone can tune in at that time, and viewing patterns are evolving with the internet. I bet thousands of people watched it for free online – many of whom were unable to get it in their country – and of course those fans aren’t going to be counted. I understand that, but these things need to be taken into consideration too.

• Therese says:

May be, but their audience is only half as smart!

• Mary says:

Yeah, but Chuck is twice the show that Harry’s Law is. I like both shows but if one had to go, I’d prefer the one to go be Harry’s Law. Fortunately, this time I get to have my cake and eat it, too!!!

• tomf60 says:

So? Chuck is good, Harry’s Law is rubbish.

• Mary says:

Chuck is freaking beast. your just jealous cause you arent as cool as chuck or sarah!! Chuck is the best show ever!!!!!

• Andrew says:

What the hell is Harry’s Law? And ever think of other people besides yourself? So you don’t like Chuck, no one cares. We love it so we comment saying we’re gonna miss it. I didn’t realize a TV show could be “DISGUSTING” either.

• El says:

I find it disgusting that Harry’s Law would have more viewers than Chuck, too… I assume that’s what you meant… But here in Aust. we didn’t even really have a chance to give the show good ratings. But honestly, if you put a great show like Chuck in a great time slot, you’re going to get better ratings – most people are lazy viewers. They’ll watch crap just because it’s on at an easier time. I don’t know about the US, but here the best shows are on at like 9:30 at night or later, which alienates a huge part of the possible/likely fanbase. They just don’t do things right!

I know it’s not the most likely thing… but I hope it gets picked up for a reboot sometime soon. I would desperately love for another season or three. There’s so much they could do with it! It’s one of the few shows that can constantly evolve without getting ridiculous. I love it!! If only I had heard of it before it’s final season. :( Stupid Australian television. *sigh*

• El says:

Oh, and I don’t ACTUALLY find it disgusting, I was just using the words from the original post.. I don’t have extreme feelings about Harry’s Law either way. Just thought I’d add that.

• Josh says:

Plus Chuck gets a lot more buzz than Harry’s Law. You never see people talk about Harry’s Law on twitter nor would Harry’s Law go to comic-con. Chuck gives NBC more of a shine while Harry’s Law is just another one of their not so popular shows.

• susan says:

I’m thrilled about CHUCK – there have a few weak shows, but overall it’s been terrific, sometimes even brilliant.

I’ve been a vocal fan and supporter of products seen on CHUCK

Sammy

• Tripper says:

Chuck is one of the best shows on TV in many years. I’m so sick of so-called “reality” TV I could puke. Chuck is like a breath of fresh air in a very stuffy room. I’ll be sad to se it go if and when it does.

2. melissa says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

3. Clay says:

Finally some good news. I need to hear some after Fox’s massacre last night.

4. brynna says:

Saw the headline and had a mini heart attack. BEST HEART ATTACK EVER though! Omg please let this be soooo very true.

• Waht?! says:

I had that same mini heart attack, I might have a major heart attack between now and Sunday while waiting to find out where Chuck will be placed on the schedule.

• Nick says:

They need to move it to like wednesday or friday, going up against House is tough, not to mention How I met Your Mother already has a big fan base. Chuck would have way better numbers if they didn’t have such fierce competition.

• Jenuzela says:

Wednesday might be okay, but never, ever, EVER should they move it to Friday. Don’t you know that Friday is the death slot?

5. Lee says:

but I want more than 13 eps!!

• Brian says:

For crying out loud, Lee. Let’s take 17 seconds to be happy about what we got before complaining about wanting more. Especially after Fox’s bloodbath last night. This is a good thing, kiddo.

• Lee says:

lol. Sorry.

• Allie says:

THey may renew it for more eps later though.

• Nathan says:

This is very true. In case you didn’t know, season 3 was only picked up for 13 episodes, and then halfway through the season NBC ordered 6 more episodes (thus all the episodes after Chuck vs. The Other Guy, which was supposed to be the season, and possibly even series, finale).

• Barbara says:

Got that right! You start liking a show and BAM- it’s gone!!

• Amber says:

The last season was originally for a 13 episode pick-up, and it got extended. So don’t worry. If it gets the pick-up, I’m sure the order will get extended shortly after the season begind to air.

• Rob J. says:

It’s worth noting in this context that if/when Chuck gets its order for the back half of season 5, an 11-episode back order would have the fifth season ending with the 100th episode.
        More data: David E. Kelly’s deal for Wonder Woman was for all-but a put-pilot (sorta like pay-or-play deals for movies), so I’m thinking that Chuck is going to be the lead-in for Wonder Woman, whatever day of the week they get slotted on (Mondays or Fridays, most likely). The WW script appears to be awful, so I would expect that it’ll get cancelled quickly and we’ll soon be reminiscing about the good old days of the Bionic Woman remake. Meanwhile, with NBC cancelling so many shows from this season as it is — LOLA, The Chase, Perfect Couples and Outsourced among them — it’s almost certain that NBC will need stability in its lineup in the second half of next season. Especially if/when Wonder Woman fails.
        So I’d say that there’s a better than 50% shot that Chuck will have a 24-episode season 5.
        Finally, thank Subway for Chuck’s continuing success. This is clearly a nearly-unreproduceable synergy of show, advertiser and audience. While Chuck’s low budget (it’s nearly basic-cable-level in cost)), is undeniably an important factor in the show’s longevity, IMO, it’s our loyalty to both the sponsor and the show that is what keeps putting Chuck over-the-top for renewal. Having a sponsor attached at all, much less with such an affectionate relationship (relative to the concept of business) between the sponsor and the audience, essentially wipes out any remaining cost issues. And that’s no mean feat when you consider that NBC Universal doesn’t own the Warner-produced show.

• Rob J. says:

Well, shiver me timbers! Even later reports suggest that NBC is going to eat its penalty payment to David E. Kelly and NOT greenlight Wonder Woman. Which IMO, is an even better sign for Chuck for the second half of next season because, frankly, very few of NBC’s other pilots look promising toward long runs.

• Ace says:

I’m so definitely having Subway for lunch today! \o/

Thanks to NBC for renewing, to Subway for sponsoring, to my fellow fangirls and fanboys for watching, and most importantly, to the cast and crew for making such a fun, lovable show!

• Liz says:

Wonder Woman got shot down by NBC.

• Susan says:

Well written Rob – I love the show for all the amazing qualities it exhibits. Humor, some nice action, romance, fine acting and a fine cast of interesting players and new/old faces.
          Credit goes to the creators of the show and to writing of the show, hopefully it will get a strong story line for season 5 and even better writing (equivalent to season 1 and 2)

To the stars, Zachary, Yvonne, Sarah, Adam, Joshua, and Bonita (a true find) – I am so glad I’ve had the pleasure to meet you these past 4 seasons. LOL – AND God bless you guys for giving us a super diversion.

• Ryan says:

Lee, I would be happy if NBC just says, hey you guys have X episodes(be that 13 or 22….though really whatever gets them to syndication makes the most sense) and this will be the final year. This way the show runners and actors know this is it and they can actually work to a proper series ending. Rather than all this will they won’t they on renewal every year, just give them a heads up so we can get a real finale.

• Jenuzela says:

Chuck gets renewed fo 13 episodes every season. Then, because it’s steady and we fans are loyal, they always order 6-9 more episodes. It’ll be okay. Relax – at least it’s renewed.

6. Brian says:

(Captain) AWESOME!!!!!!

Did not expect this. Not. In. The. Least.

7. Jem says:

Thank you Mr. Ausiello. NBC chuck fans thank you too.

8. Chris says:

I’m so happy right now I could CRYYY!!! I’m endlessly refreshing the page for an update of an official comment from NBC!! THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS!!!!

9. wawa says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not this f***ing crap again.

• Brian says:

Man, it must suck to have a gun pressed against your temple forcing you to watch television shows that you’re not a fan of. I feel bad for you. In fact, I am going to make a Facebook campaign just to bring attention to you and people like you who are forced into watching television programs. I got your back!!

• wawa says:

Thank you. Send me the link when you have it done.

• Haters Gonna Hate says:

Let me guess, you only watch Dancing with the Morons and American Rejects and other crap resembling Jersey Whore. Maybe you should check out some actual good TV one day.

• westlaw says:

Ha! Perhaps a benefit concert for these poor souls who’ve never figured out how free will and remote controls work. Is Bob Geldof busy??? Can we include Jeffster in the benefit concert lineup???

• Anna says:

I’m not being forced; if Harry’s Law is cancelled in favor of Chuck, I’m done with NBC. I don’t bother with any of their other shows. I currently only watch Breaking In and Bones on Fox. Many of us are just angry at the fact that good shows are being passed over for low rated, poorly acted crap. I personally hope that any both network lose money on these decisions.

• joni says:

Hi Anna, Harrys Law is most likely renewed so you can quit bashing chuck. Don’t watch Chuck , continue watching Harry’s Law. Also a point out, FYI Harry’s law ratings were tumbling at the end of the season barely above Chucks.

• laurie says:

I’ve never even heard of Harry’s Law or seen it being promoted anywhere haha

• Amber says:

Ha good one

• sashay says:

wawa must have a mean babysitter. He probably wants to watch Dora the Explorer instead.

• PJM says:

In deference to your name…

WA-WA-WA…(hehehehehehehehehehehe)

• Anna says:

‘Fraid so: Cringe and Suck; two pieces of crap floating to the top of the cesspool.

• Maryb says:

Cringe and Suck: does your cleverness know any bounds?

• PJM says:

Hey Anna, you hear that? That’s the sound of your life walking out on you because you’re spending too much time whining about a show being renewed that you probably didn’t give a rat’s @$$ about in the first place. It’s TV. Get over it.

• H says:

I debated commenting or not, but it’s comments like this that make me want to barf. I am a huge fan of Chuck about as big of fan as you can be, but I am even willing to say that fringe is the best show on tv. That is nothing against chuck (because chuck can do nothing wrong in my eyes….its pure genious) but that should say everything about fringe and the show it has become. You just made fun of my two favorite shows on tv and it really bugged me. There are lots of shows that I don’t like and I have never once commented hateful things, people need to learn to keep there nasty comments to themselves. I was going to list the crap shows that you probably watch but that defeats the whole purpose of my comment, all I know is that chuck and fringe fans are the luckiest tv viewers in the world and I pity you and what ever shows you watch that have caused you so much bitterness. I challenge people like you to watch a few episodes of both show and dare you not to fall in love with them. No one can watch zachary levi and not melt at his awesomeness and how freaking adorable he is!

• Nick says:

I feel bad for you, you must be one fugly woman with absolutely no life to be on trolling an article about a show you so obviously don’t like. Guarantee you won’t see me commenting on any articles about Harry’s Law when that crap gets canned.

• Sassy says:

You should know, Harry’s Law is definitely a piece of **** floating to the rancid surface. It would be a mercy killing for Kathy Bates for that horribly written show to die a swift, merciful death. Unfortunately, I fear my fellow posters are right and it has been put on life support for another year. Too bad for us.

• Sophie says:

@Anna:
        At least they aren’t at the bottom of the cesspool.
        BTW, how do we get it through your thick scull that Harry’s Law has been renewed? I’d just like to know.

10. Kari says:

This just totally made a sucky week better!!

11. Lucas says:

Please, DONT SAVE Chuck.

12. davey says:

Will they finally give it a better time slot? How about Thursday after all the comedies? Or is 10 pm too late?

• Bennett says:

Chuck is a family show. 10 o’clock wouldn’t be the right slot for it. But it would be good right before Parenthood (which is a 10 o’clock show.) NBC!! Pay attention!! You need to start doing promos or ads for Chuck to let people know about it.

13. Akiyama says:

Woot. I sort of hope we don’t get more than 13 so the Chuck writers and what not can have a goal to work toward and not be unsure of another season/stuff.. but still. Great news!

• Cameron says:

I doubt that will be a problem. This is pretty much going to wrap the series. Unless there was a massive ratings uptick, (unlikely) this next season will be the last.

• westlaw says:

Obviously you may be right (or wrong), but haven’t people been saying this exact same thing for at least the past three seasons? Just keep predicting the show’s demise and eventually you’ll have to be right…

• Dwigt says:

The writing has been quite flat this season, with many major writers leaving. All the first part with Mama Bartowski and Volkoff had no connection to the Intersect and no sense of urgency (despite Timothy Dalton’s delightful performance). The second part has gradually improved but it was only last week that we got, finally, an element to relate the arc to the foundation of the show.

• Rowan says:

I agree on all fronts. I think the show could use a new head writer to spice things up and breathe new life. I love that Sarah and Chuck are together, but the Mary Bartowski story got old fast. There’s enough Alexi Volkoff throughout the season and the daughter’s journey into evil is just slow and boring. Casey has been horribly underused all season and Morgan working on missions was just ridiculous. He should have been just running interference, which he does best.

I like that the show was picked up – now let’s pick up some great storylines that carry some real suspense.

• Kevin says:

While on a set visit when they were filming the final episode of this season, I heard that the main reason that the writing went a bit downhill was due to the uncertainty of how many episodes were going to be filmed for season 4. Writers are just like you and me. They have a family to feed and bills to pay. If they aren’t sure that the show will continue, they look to move to other shows. That’s what happened midway through the 4th season when they weren’t sure of the back-end pickup. It’s possible that season 5 will be the same way, unless they (NBC) commit to the back-end early enough.

• Kevin says:

I’m sorry, I might have been mistaken in my logic. Some of the previous writers may have left PRIOR to the start of season 4, since we didn’t have a pickup until later.

• Akiyama says:

Yeah, this was my only point. It’s not because I’m not a fan, or I’m trying to predict the show’s cancellation, because I am a fan, and am not ‘predicting’ that. My only point was the writing was severely lacking in Season 4, and just about anyone will tell you that. You don’t have to be a writer to see it.

I just wanted them to know ahead of time how many episodes they have to work with, and have a solid way to end the show instead of ending it on a ‘this could be a series or season finale’ sort of fashion.

• Dwigt says:

Season four was mostly written by new guys and senior writer Allison Adler, who was responsible for some of the best episodes, left to work on “No Ordinary Family”.

The budget cuts have been very obvious: too much bad green screen stuff, episodes taking entirely place in the old sets, bad wigs (the flashbacks for General Beckmann in Berlin were cringe-worthy). I’m convinced that the same cuts applied to the writing team. The changing number of episodes doesn’t help either but there was the same thing during season three (13 episodes ordered then a few others added early in production) and the quality hadn’t suffered as much.

14. Tiffany-Liana says:

Cousin Larry….DO THE DANCE OF JOY!!!

15. Benn says:

I was always hoping, but never expecting this freaking phenomenal news. Thank you, NBC!!!!

16. Lisa says:

Thank GOD. I hate Subway. Thanks, Michael!

17. Lori says:

BEST. NEWS. EVER!

18. Michelle says:

PRAISE THE TELEVISION GODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. joe says:

Yes!!!!! i’ll take the 13eps over nothin! LONG LIVE CHUCK/JEFFSTER!

20. Maryb says:

AWE. SOME. (pun intended) I’m not even going to be greedy and say that Chuck deserves more than 13 eps … which it does … but I’m just NOT going to mess with karma right now …

21. juls says:

YAYYYYY!!!!

22. ZR says:

shut the f*** up!!!

23. Melissa says:

YAY!!! fingers crossed it turns out to be true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Kayla says:

OMG I am soooo friggin happy i’ve been waiting 4 this 4ever now!! Please, please let this come true, i NEED this to be true!! Love CHUCK!! Need a season 5 please

25. Barbara says:

YaHooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

26. Akiyama says:

@Ausiello: You need to switch in a picture of Sarah/Yvonne Strahovski doing the “Flash Face”.. that’s pretty much my reaction right now, Haha.

27. Andrea says:

GOD YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!
    I freaking screamed when I saw the headline!!!!
    Please let it be true!!!!

28. What?! says:

If this becomes official tonight (as in Deadline announcement official), I’ll make sure to go to Subway tomorrow and Friday during my lunch break.

29. Tucker says:

This, honestly, isn’t much of a surprise to me. NBC needs something with some bit of proven draw on its schedule while it tries to find footing. The ratings, in a normal situation, demanded the show be put down, but NBC is far from in a normal situation. Right now, Chuck is the beneficiary of the CW effect on NBC. If they’re smart, they should plan it as the final run of episodes.

• westlaw says:

I don’t want to be greedy, but seeing as how we’re talking about the net that chose Jay over Conan, Chuck could get in another 3-4 seasons before the Kabletown Kids find their proverbial footing.

• Becca says:

I’m all for that Chuck and Community are the only reasons why I really watched NBC after what they did to Conan. I Love that man. I have given up watching Leno altogether but I do watch Jimmy Fallon.

• Nick says:

God Jimmy Fallon is so awkward and boring usually. Cannot watch him. But I agree, after what they did to Conan, I quit watching most of their shows. Community, Parks & Rec 30 Rock and Chuck are really all that are left on that network. The Office too, but now that Steve Carell is gone, I don’t think I’ll be watching it anymore.

30. Alex says:

Yayyyyyyy!

31. Teresa says:

BEST NEWS EVER!!!

32. David says:

I’m fine with it but they should put it on Fridays and put something fresh on Mondays @ 8.

• sashay says:

No,not Fridays! One of the worst nights for TV in any genre, and we already have Fringe and Supernatural battling it out. If you’re suggesting it run before 9, that’s also a bad time, especially if they’re exploring adult themes. Tuesdays work for me. Not much on that night.

33. Jimmy Nomad says:

Ok, one more cycle and then I think this show has run it’s course. Feels like it was almost there this year. 13 eps knowing it’s the final 13 could be a real shot in the arm.

34. Kieran says:

35. sweetiepie1019 says:

Yay! Now if they can set it firmly at 13 (or 22 or 24 or however many they’ll do, so long as they decide in advance this time), and Fedak and Schwartz can refrain from another cliffhanger and just wrap it up, that would be perfect. Between this and Fringe and the NBC comedies already being picked up, all I need is Nikita and all my bubble shows will be saved this year. I love that. :D

• Michelle says:

I just need word on Nikita too! Is it possible that I could get lucky 2 years in a row? *knock wood*

• Ben says:

Completely agree.

From Day 1, I felt like Chuck ought to be about a 5 season show. The perfect result now would be for them to negotiate a 22+ episode 5th season that wrapped up production, and gave us a neat and happy ending.

36. Amber says:

OMG I could KISS you. So happy. Thank you NBC Long live Chuck!!!!!!!!!

37. Jasonbres says:

All together now: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

38. CJ says:

I’m interested to see the schedule that NBC announces and where they put Chuck. I’m also interested to hear details about the deal between Warner Bros. and NBC.

Chuck is so close to syndication that I bet Warner Bros. offered it at a really cheap rate, which is NBC decided to renew instead of spending more money on a Wonder Woman series that was destined to fail. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they renew it for a full 22-episode season and then just stick it on Fridays.

Then Warner Bros. gets its 100 episodes for syndication, and NBC has one less hour it has to fill with other crap. Win-win.

39. Jenny says:

YAY!!!! You made my day!!! Thank you, Ausiello!

40. Stacey says:

This makes me so happy!! XD

41. penny says:

Hell yeeeeerrrrrrrr. Awesome, sooo happy rite bout now :)

42. Brian says:

Glad it’s coming back. The powers-that-be should make these 13 the LAST 13 and give the characters a send-off they (and the audience) deserve.

43. Jake says:

THE DUMBEST SHOW ON TV…I HOPE IT DIES!!!

44. Callie says:

I could kiss you right now, Michael. Thank you for making this day so amazing by delivering this morsel of awesome.

45. Vanessa says:

So happy right now, the first year all of my favourite shows have survived cancellation.

Lets just hope it’s more about the spying and less about Chuck/Sarah’s relationship. I know I’m not the only person who’d like to see less focus on that. If season five is about them trying to have kids, I’m going to smack someone.

46. Susan says:

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This is Awesome news! Thanks NBC and Warner Bros. This is a great show, really glad your bringing it back for season 5.

47. DryedMangoez says:

NBC HAS to move it to Fridays. They can not let it continue stinking up its Mondays. It will at least give NBC something to air on Fridays instead of two-hour Datelines.

• Jake says:

Which typically means death…I doubt it lasts a full season.

• DryedMangoez says:

It helped Fringe survive on Fox. And both Smallville and Supernatural survived on Fridays on the CW. If it might mean Chuck gets to live longer, then NBC can dump (yes, dump) it on Fridays for uninspiring numbers and finally have Mondays at 8pm free to work with.

• Dwigt says:

Fringe, Smallville, Chuck and Supernatural are all Warner shows. Chuck and Supernatural are even produced by the same company. So the shows would compete between each other even more they do now…

The renewal has to do with two things:
          – securing syndication with enough episodes
          – NBC has nothing better in stock, their current shows are actually doing worse and they have little hope with most of their pilots.

48. Matt says:

And The Voice pays off….

49. Jake says:

I honestly don’t see what the hype is about this show, I have watched a few episodes and they all seem the same…and the plots are so predictable. Seriously, great shows are cancelled and this crap remains.

• Maryb says:

I’m guessing it’s because you have no sense of humor …

• Jake says:

Perhaps, I am an educated non-nerdy dude who happens to have a girlfriend…not one who has to sit and fantasies about it…my watching this lame ass show.

• Stefany says:

Hopefully you will spend the time you are NOT watching Chuck learning how to spell (fantasize, not fantasies). I’m a graduate degree educated married female. I love this show. I love that it is funny, sweet and action packed. A little bit of everything in one show that does not in any way resemble my own life – an escape, not a fantasy. Perfection.

• Vicky says:

Wow Stefany, for someone who has her graduate degree you sure are a b-tch. Jake is right this show is a total geek show.

• Maryb says:

Wow, Vicky, for someone hiding behind her computer keyboard, you sure are rude. You and Jake deserve each other; neither of you can write a grammatically correct sentence. Do you not have a sense of humor either?

• Gail says:

@Stefany- My sentiments exactly! And for everyone with a negative comment…just hope you are #NotANielsonFamily…I love this show and am thrilled it is safe!

• John says:

The show is not safe. It is on the table still. They are trying to strike a deal.

• Sassy says:

Vicky is Jake’s left hand. His “real” girlfriend.

• Maryb says:

To paraphrase Jake: “Well, I am an educated, non-nerdy chick who happens to have a boyfriend … not one who has to sit and …” well, there you lose me because I can also write grammatically correct sentences. I still think it’s because you have no sense of humor …

• Justin says:

Translation: I graduated high school and have a very soft left hand.

• Jeffster says:

Educated? That laughable lol. Get a life troll, and maybe a real girlfriend, cause we all know that wasn’t true. It’s fantasize too moron. Go watch your Jersey Shore or Dancing and Signing shows. Thats all I’m really gonna say, cause that is a big enough insult right there lol.

• Dwigt says:

I’d argue that the show had been pleasant, sometimes great, up to season three.

Season four has been marred with a lower budget, poorer writing and a general lack of urgent things at stake.

But, even in the worst episodes (and this season gave us a few), Yvonne Strahovski remains easy to look at.

50. Dbalcer says:

Ya for both Chuck and Parenthood!!