ABC Renews Happy Endings and Body of Proof, Orders 12 New Series Including Charlie's Angels

Amid ABC’s spring house cleaning comes a bit of good news: Freshman comedy Happy Endings has been picked up for a second season. Promising rookie procedural Body of Proof has also been renewed.

The network, meanwhile, has given the green light to a whopping 12 new series — seven dramas and five comedies.

Comedy pick-ups include the Tim Allen-fronted Last Man Standing, the cross-dressing sitcom Work It, and the Big Apple-set Apt. 23.

New dramas include Good Christian Belles (f.k.a. Good Christian Bitches), a reboot of Charlie’s Angeles, the fairytale-themed Once Upon a Time, period soap Pan Am and the Shonda Rhimes-produced hour about political consultants Scandal. For more on ABC’s new crop, head over to TVLine’s Fall Preview gallery.

For up-to-date intel on the fate of all your favorite bubble shows, bookmark TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard and check back frequently.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Fall TV Preview, News, Renewals, Scoop

1. Derek says:

Thank God!

2. Derek says:

Thank God.

3. ggny says:

awesome news but i feel like its gonna get the Better Off Ted treatment next year which isnt a good thing

4. Anjeli says:

Thank God. This makes up for canceling Brothers and Sisters

5. Pam says:

YES! I was starting to get worried when ABC started axing 231 other shows and there was no news on Happy Endings…

6. Don J says:

Awesome news! This was easily the best new relationship sitcom this year. Now ABC needs to promote this during the summer and move it to an earlier timeslot. Very happy to see more of the sexy Casey Wilson too.

7. Jon says:

Finally some good network news on Bloodbath Friday.

8. Ron says:

Glad to hear about Happy Endings surviving the Fri the 13th bloodbath. Now awaiting word on Better With You

9. davey says:

me HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!

10. Gerald says:

Although I’m really glad ABC decided to renew this show, I’m still depressed they canceled V… they just can’t leave with a cliffhanger like that and it was getting so good!

11. LA says:

I’m glad, it’s a funny little show. The cast has great chemistry, the writing is snappy. It works well paired with Cougar Town. Also, Eliza Coupe rules.

12. Goku says:

I’m so happy right now! It’s my favourite sitcom recently :).

13. Cheryl says:

I have NO faith in any of the networks right now. I will stick to my cable channels for now!

14. DL says:

Yes! Happy Endings is the funniest new comedy this year by a long shot!

15. Eternal Clementime says:

What a Happy Ending to this season’s cancellations and renewals..ba duhm psshhhhh. Awesome show, hope the country catches up with it and it stays on Wednesday with Modern Family and Cougar Town, it totally fits.

16. Tausif Khan says:

What about Better With You the Joanna Garcia vehicle?

• Robin says:

cancelled as reported in the other post about Brother & Sisters and 4 other shows… :( completely ridiculous!

• Lisa London says:

Yes, that’s bad news; it was a clever little show which surely did not cost that much to make… Shame on you ABC!

17. Greg says:

AMAZING NEWS!

this show is easily the best comedy of the year, i wish it had started in september and gotten a full season

18. Cat says:

Yay! Charming show that deserves another chance!

19. BrianR says:

Alright more Elisha Cuthbert cleavage to look forward to.

20. Robin says:

This is not good news! This is flipping BS! Better with you cancelled but happy endings renewed!!! That is completely ridiculous…better with you has been on since fall and was much better than this show which hasn’t even been on as long. :/

Whatever ABC…I’m not so happy with you today.

• Lisa London says:

I actually really like both shows and while I’m happy that Happy Endings got renewed, I’m gutted about Better with you! It was such a clever concept. I’ll make sure to buy the DVD set just to show ABC the opportunity they missed.

21. Jimmy says:

Not the funniest series on television, but it had potential. Just need some better writing to utilize the great cast.

22. phil says:

Is Partners a go?

23. Dave says:

Excellent news. It may have debuted very late in the season but it was easily the best of not only the mid-season comedies but imho the new comedies which debuted in the Fall. So the only questions left to ask are: is this a 22 episode order and why was it held back?

24. Billy Virgo says:

So glad ABC is giving this show a chance!

25. Lena120 says:

YES!!!!!!! I love that show.

26. Blake says:

What about “Poe”??

27. Dragen says:

And the last 4 shows?

28. WhtSnw says:

Once Upon a Time and the new NBC Grimm sound too much alike. Just read FABLES by Bill Willingham!!!!!

29. ann says:

Yay!!! Still, wish they hadn’t canceled ‘Detriot 1-8-7′.

30. João Amaral says:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

31. Linda says:

Yes! Yes! Yes! For Body of Proof. I love that show.

32. DL says:

I’ve seen the pilot for Charlie’s Angels as part of a focus group, and all I can say about this pickup is… “Oh no, God no, please, my eyes, they burn!” Seriously, let Minka Kelly go back to Parenthood and give up on this ridiculous farce of a show! The only hope for it is if they rewrite/reshoot the pilot entirely, get rid of the camp factor, get rid of ridiculous lines such as, “We’re not saints… We’re Angels!” and recast Allie Ilonzeh, who is wooden as all hell. The show is all glitz and no grit, which is fine for a show from the 70s, but not fine for a show that’s hoping to find a new audience in 2011.

• BRETT says:

You must have been the only one who didn’t like it. By all other accounts, the screenings went extremely well. Also they’d be stupid not to pick this up with the built in fan base it has and with Drew Barrymore producing.

• DL says:

I’ve heard feedback from others who agree with me. Just because you don’t have firsthand experience of a negative response to the pilot doesn’t mean that I’m the only one who feels that way.

• Deena says:

I’m with you DL. I saw it too and it was an excruciating 45 minutes. Too horrible for words but you did a good job explaining. Nothing redeeming about this show at all. The mere fact that it will be on in the fall and Detroit 187 will not makes me want to gag.

• Kris says:

I believe you about Annie. She was TERRIBLE on General Hospital.

33. Ann S. says:

First AMC daytime, then Fox, now ABC primetime. The slash and burn that’s going on for the Fall season is getting a little scary. What are NBC and CBS going to do to their lineups?

34. Aidan says:

What about Georgetown????

35. Amber says:

Is it really called Charlie’s Angeles, or is it Charlie’s Angels?

36. Romain says:

Glad that Body of Proof got renewed! Dana Delany leads a very likeable ensemble and the show has quickly grown on me. I’m looking forward to its continued success next season.

As far as the new shows are concerned, I’m definitely watching Apartment 23, Good Christian Belles, Pan Am and Revenge. Not sold on Scandal and Charlie’s Angels yet, I’ll wait for trailers before I make up my mind on these two.

37. Stacy says:

Yay for Happy Endings. It is a wonderfully cast and scripted comedy. For the next season they should make it longer as I am loving the two episodes per night schedule.

38. Tavis says:

Looking forward to Pan Am!

Does Charlie’s Angels follow the continuity of the original series and movies? I sure hope so.

39. Matt says:

Brothers and Sisters :(

At least give us a final 2-hour movie, or SOMETHING…

• Beau says:

I feel the same way about V, I wish they would have made a TV movie, or something to attempt to wrap the story up!

40. Denise says:

Happy to hear Scandal was picked up. Not a fan of Shonda Rhimes shows but I am a fan of Henry Ian Cusick. I hope it doesn’t suck.

41. Summer says:

Very glad to hear about Happy Endings. It’s been a great show, and I was so worried that it was going to go the way of Perfect Couples. I’m sad about Better With You, because I love Joanna Garcia, but I’d been losing interest in the show during the last half of the season, so it’s not all that surprising.

42. Kris says:

Sad to hear that Georgetown wasn’t picked up but not surprised. SO HAPPY about Happy Endings and Charlie’s Angels!

43. daniel says:

hello i was wondering since abc decided what to pick for next fall what happened to jenna elfman’s(BAD MOM) sitcom abc already picked up thier comedies plz don’t tell me that it didn’t get a chanc i need jenna elfman this fall to return which ever channel(abc-fox-nbc-cw-cbs-lifetime)whatever i just need to know what happened she already filmed the pilot

44. Tavis says:

Is Charlie’s Angels set in the same fictional universe as the original series and the movies?

45. Amy says:

I’m glad ABC is giving Happy Endings a chance. I really like it. Sad about Better With You though.

46. Tiffany says:

Yay! So glad to hear Happy Endings was picked up! Any guesses as to when we’ll know the extent of the episode order?

47. Lorie says:

Yay for Body of Proof!

48. Greg says:

I will not give these or ANY new ABC shows a chance. They have burned too many bridges with me one too many times. How many times do they think they can pull the rug out from someone and not give shows proper endings and still have them be viewers? Our household watches a lot of TV, in essence we are their best customers. And yet, they slam the door in our faces repeatedly. It’s not like we expect these shows to stay on forever, but at least give them a proper run and proper ending. Why would I want to take a chance on any of these new shows only to get burned yet again? No thanks ABC. You have become untrustworthy. Our house won’t be taking that gamble again. The odds are worse then Vegas.

• Sue says:

Absolutely!!! ABC does not value their viewers time and/or purchasing power! My household watches alot of tv too. We have been burned time and again by ABC…DirtySexyMoney, Boston Legal, Life on Mars and now Detroit 187, V, AMC and OLTL (daytime). Many of the ABC affiliates will be losing Oprah and Regis Philbin too. I am sticking with select cable and premium cable shows from now on. What good is “free” network tv if it’s all garbage. What little quality is put out there is quickly taken away, and ABC is the leader of the pack!!

49. Boiler says:

Nothing new of interest. ABC cancels 2 of the best comedies in Mr sunshine and Better With You. Between all the networks I won’t need to read all this TV garbage anymore as I will be watching little. Too bad as I have money to burn for adverrtisers

50. Lucy says:

Yes! I’ve grown to love Happy Endings.