Fall TV Preview

ABC Renews Happy Endings and Body of Proof, Orders 12 New Series Including Charlie's Angels

Amid ABC’s spring house cleaning comes a bit of good news: Freshman comedy Happy Endings has been picked up for a second season. Promising rookie procedural Body of Proof has also been renewed.

The network, meanwhile, has given the green light to a whopping 12 new series — seven dramas and five comedies.

Comedy pick-ups include the Tim Allen-fronted Last Man Standing, the cross-dressing sitcom Work It, and the Big Apple-set Apt. 23.

New dramas include Good Christian Belles (f.k.a. Good Christian Bitches), a reboot of Charlie’s Angeles, the fairytale-themed Once Upon a Time, period soap Pan Am and the Shonda Rhimes-produced hour about political consultants Scandal. For more on ABC’s new crop, head over to TVLine’s Fall Preview gallery.

For up-to-date intel on the fate of all your favorite bubble shows, bookmark TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard and check back frequently.

Comments (73)

• Thank God!

Comment by Derek – May 13, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Happy Endings RULE!!! I love Penny!!!

Comment by Benjamin – August 4, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank God.

Comment by Derek – May 13, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awesome news but i feel like its gonna get the Better Off Ted treatment next year which isnt a good thing

Comment by ggny – May 13, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank God. This makes up for canceling Brothers and Sisters

Comment by Anjeli – May 13, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! I was starting to get worried when ABC started axing 231 other shows and there was no news on Happy Endings…

Comment by Pam – May 13, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news! This was easily the best new relationship sitcom this year. Now ABC needs to promote this during the summer and move it to an earlier timeslot. Very happy to see more of the sexy Casey Wilson too.

Comment by Don J – May 13, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally some good network news on Bloodbath Friday.

Comment by Jon – May 13, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to hear about Happy Endings surviving the Fri the 13th bloodbath. Now awaiting word on Better With You

Comment by Ron – May 13, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unfortunately Better with Me got cancelled:-(

Comment by Jules – May 13, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh no, I loved Better with you!

Comment by Lisa London – May 13, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • me HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!

Comment by davey – May 13, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although I’m really glad ABC decided to renew this show, I’m still depressed they canceled V… they just can’t leave with a cliffhanger like that and it was getting so good!

Comment by Gerald – May 13, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It kinda fits as the original V series ended with a cliffhanger as well. Just repeating history.

Comment by Scott – May 13, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad, it’s a funny little show. The cast has great chemistry, the writing is snappy. It works well paired with Cougar Town. Also, Eliza Coupe rules.

Comment by LA – May 13, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy right now! It’s my favourite sitcom recently :).

Comment by Goku – May 13, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have NO faith in any of the networks right now. I will stick to my cable channels for now!

Comment by Cheryl – May 13, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Happy Endings is the funniest new comedy this year by a long shot!

Comment by DL – May 13, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a Happy Ending to this season’s cancellations and renewals..ba duhm psshhhhh. Awesome show, hope the country catches up with it and it stays on Wednesday with Modern Family and Cougar Town, it totally fits.

Comment by Eternal Clementime – May 13, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Better With You the Joanna Garcia vehicle?

Comment by Tausif Khan – May 13, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • cancelled as reported in the other post about Brother & Sisters and 4 other shows… :( completely ridiculous!

Comment by Robin – May 13, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, that’s bad news; it was a clever little show which surely did not cost that much to make… Shame on you ABC!

Comment by Lisa London – May 13, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMAZING NEWS!

this show is easily the best comedy of the year, i wish it had started in september and gotten a full season

Comment by Greg – May 13, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Charming show that deserves another chance!

Comment by Cat – May 13, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alright more Elisha Cuthbert cleavage to look forward to.

Comment by BrianR – May 13, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is not good news! This is flipping BS! Better with you cancelled but happy endings renewed!!! That is completely ridiculous…better with you has been on since fall and was much better than this show which hasn’t even been on as long. :/

Whatever ABC…I’m not so happy with you today.

Comment by Robin – May 13, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually really like both shows and while I’m happy that Happy Endings got renewed, I’m gutted about Better with you! It was such a clever concept. I’ll make sure to buy the DVD set just to show ABC the opportunity they missed.

Comment by Lisa London – May 13, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not the funniest series on television, but it had potential. Just need some better writing to utilize the great cast.

Comment by Jimmy – May 13, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Partners a go?

Comment by phil – May 13, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent news. It may have debuted very late in the season but it was easily the best of not only the mid-season comedies but imho the new comedies which debuted in the Fall. So the only questions left to ask are: is this a 22 episode order and why was it held back?

Comment by Dave – May 13, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad ABC is giving this show a chance!

Comment by Billy Virgo – May 13, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!!!!! I love that show.

Comment by Lena120 – May 13, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about “Poe”??

Comment by Blake – May 13, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And the last 4 shows?

Comment by Dragen – May 13, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon a Time and the new NBC Grimm sound too much alike. Just read FABLES by Bill Willingham!!!!!

Comment by WhtSnw – May 13, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!! Still, wish they hadn’t canceled ‘Detriot 1-8-7′.

Comment by ann – May 13, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Comment by João Amaral – May 13, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Yes! Yes! For Body of Proof. I love that show.

Comment by Linda – May 13, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve seen the pilot for Charlie’s Angels as part of a focus group, and all I can say about this pickup is… “Oh no, God no, please, my eyes, they burn!” Seriously, let Minka Kelly go back to Parenthood and give up on this ridiculous farce of a show! The only hope for it is if they rewrite/reshoot the pilot entirely, get rid of the camp factor, get rid of ridiculous lines such as, “We’re not saints… We’re Angels!” and recast Allie Ilonzeh, who is wooden as all hell. The show is all glitz and no grit, which is fine for a show from the 70s, but not fine for a show that’s hoping to find a new audience in 2011.

Comment by DL – May 13, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You must have been the only one who didn’t like it. By all other accounts, the screenings went extremely well. Also they’d be stupid not to pick this up with the built in fan base it has and with Drew Barrymore producing.

Comment by BRETT – May 13, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve heard feedback from others who agree with me. Just because you don’t have firsthand experience of a negative response to the pilot doesn’t mean that I’m the only one who feels that way.

Comment by DL – May 13, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you DL. I saw it too and it was an excruciating 45 minutes. Too horrible for words but you did a good job explaining. Nothing redeeming about this show at all. The mere fact that it will be on in the fall and Detroit 187 will not makes me want to gag.

Comment by Deena – May 13, 2011 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe you about Annie. She was TERRIBLE on General Hospital.

Comment by Kris – May 13, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Annie was hardly even on General Hospital, but she has improved a lot from her debut.

Comment by psychoanalyzer – May 13, 2011 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First AMC daytime, then Fox, now ABC primetime. The slash and burn that’s going on for the Fall season is getting a little scary. What are NBC and CBS going to do to their lineups?

Comment by Ann S. – May 13, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Georgetown????

Comment by Aidan – May 13, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it really called Charlie’s Angeles, or is it Charlie’s Angels?

Comment by Amber – May 13, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad that Body of Proof got renewed! Dana Delany leads a very likeable ensemble and the show has quickly grown on me. I’m looking forward to its continued success next season.

As far as the new shows are concerned, I’m definitely watching Apartment 23, Good Christian Belles, Pan Am and Revenge. Not sold on Scandal and Charlie’s Angels yet, I’ll wait for trailers before I make up my mind on these two.

Comment by Romain – May 13, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Happy Endings. It is a wonderfully cast and scripted comedy. For the next season they should make it longer as I am loving the two episodes per night schedule.

Comment by Stacy – May 13, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to Pan Am!

Does Charlie’s Angels follow the continuity of the original series and movies? I sure hope so.

Comment by Tavis – May 13, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers and Sisters :(

At least give us a final 2-hour movie, or SOMETHING…

Comment by Matt – May 13, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel the same way about V, I wish they would have made a TV movie, or something to attempt to wrap the story up!

Comment by Beau – May 13, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy to hear Scandal was picked up. Not a fan of Shonda Rhimes shows but I am a fan of Henry Ian Cusick. I hope it doesn’t suck.

Comment by Denise – May 13, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very glad to hear about Happy Endings. It’s been a great show, and I was so worried that it was going to go the way of Perfect Couples. I’m sad about Better With You, because I love Joanna Garcia, but I’d been losing interest in the show during the last half of the season, so it’s not all that surprising.

Comment by Summer – May 13, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad to hear that Georgetown wasn’t picked up but not surprised. SO HAPPY about Happy Endings and Charlie’s Angels!

Comment by Kris – May 13, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hello i was wondering since abc decided what to pick for next fall what happened to jenna elfman’s(BAD MOM) sitcom abc already picked up thier comedies plz don’t tell me that it didn’t get a chanc i need jenna elfman this fall to return which ever channel(abc-fox-nbc-cw-cbs-lifetime)whatever i just need to know what happened she already filmed the pilot

Comment by daniel – May 13, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Charlie’s Angels set in the same fictional universe as the original series and the movies?

Comment by Tavis – May 13, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad ABC is giving Happy Endings a chance. I really like it. Sad about Better With You though.

Comment by Amy – May 13, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! So glad to hear Happy Endings was picked up! Any guesses as to when we’ll know the extent of the episode order?

Comment by Tiffany – May 13, 2011 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Body of Proof!

Comment by Lorie – May 13, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not give these or ANY new ABC shows a chance. They have burned too many bridges with me one too many times. How many times do they think they can pull the rug out from someone and not give shows proper endings and still have them be viewers? Our household watches a lot of TV, in essence we are their best customers. And yet, they slam the door in our faces repeatedly. It’s not like we expect these shows to stay on forever, but at least give them a proper run and proper ending. Why would I want to take a chance on any of these new shows only to get burned yet again? No thanks ABC. You have become untrustworthy. Our house won’t be taking that gamble again. The odds are worse then Vegas.

Comment by Greg – May 13, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely!!! ABC does not value their viewers time and/or purchasing power! My household watches alot of tv too. We have been burned time and again by ABC…DirtySexyMoney, Boston Legal, Life on Mars and now Detroit 187, V, AMC and OLTL (daytime). Many of the ABC affiliates will be losing Oprah and Regis Philbin too. I am sticking with select cable and premium cable shows from now on. What good is “free” network tv if it’s all garbage. What little quality is put out there is quickly taken away, and ABC is the leader of the pack!!

Comment by Sue – May 13, 2011 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nothing new of interest. ABC cancels 2 of the best comedies in Mr sunshine and Better With You. Between all the networks I won’t need to read all this TV garbage anymore as I will be watching little. Too bad as I have money to burn for adverrtisers

Comment by Boiler – May 13, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I’ve grown to love Happy Endings.

Comment by Lucy – May 13, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post