Breaking: ABC Cancels Brothers & Sisters, V, Mr. Sunshine, Four Others

Get More: Cancellations, News, Scoop

Friday the 13th turned out to be doomsday for Brothers & Sisters and V: ABC has axed both shows. The Alphabet net also pulled the plug on rookie series No Ordinary Family, Off the Map, Better With YouDetroit 1-8-7 and Mr. Sunshine.

Though, as Deadline reported, the network was trying to find a way to bring back B&S for an abridged final season, in the end, the suits elected to free up their post-Desperate Housewives time slot for a new show. As a result, last Sunday’s B&S season finale is now, retroactively, the series’ finale.

V, meanwhile, was on the upswing. Its ratings remained so-so, but after a shaky start, it returned for a second season on solid ground creatively. Heck, it even added to the cast the delectable Jane “Diana” Badler from the ’80s version.

So, are you surprised that the Walkers have popped their last cork? That the aliens are no longer a threat? And which dearly-departed ABC series will you miss the most?

For up-to-date intel on the fate of all your favorite bubble shows, bookmark TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard and check back frequently.

Comments (526)

• Wow…
    ABC must be merging with NBC…
    Cuz I see thetly are cutting good shows and replacing them with crap… and leaving shows on that should end already.
    I Love b&s, off the map, Detroit 187 & no ordinary family.
    B&s is a great show, could really move you with its story…

Off the map was a much better show Then those other 2 crap dr. shows that’s been on far to long.

Detroit 187 was a really great show. Wasn’t all polished like some of the cop shows…. was really well done.

No ordinary family….. finally something truely fresh…. different…. loved the show…

I don’t understand why we Get crap shows like karaoke battle or the bachelor (or lame off shoots) or remakes of series That has already been done.
    Why ABC why….

Comment by S.Jones – September 11, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You American suits are idiots! Keeping on trash and getting rid of good shows! It shows the BRAIN DEAD people that are watching tv in America! Money money money…screw the fans who give you big fat pockets! NO MORE SUPPORT FROM ALL OF US!

Comment by Gary – September 12, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Networks care about their bank acct.s And the shows tell the story. They never care what the viewer wants. Just what the Nielsons numbers are. I know some people who are apart of that system(Nielsons). Well put it this way you do not want them picking shows for you. Case point Detroit 1-8-7 fell a bit in ratings off it went. Despite a strong fan base. But countless & mindless shows are put on in there place. Or shows that have been on for years with viewership down keep going on. They just get an extra name after the real one Law&Order:L.A.or a lame spinoff NCIS:L.A.When will young blood show at the networks? Because I know I am sick of half of the crap that’s out. With bad plots, story lines & bad acting. Or you thought I was dead but I am not and I am baaack. Good luck this Fall 2011-2012 season.

Comment by Ken (Boston) – September 20, 2011 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 3 of the best shows on tv cancelled while shows like Cougar Town and Dancing with the Stars and more and more singing competition shows remain! This makes absolutely no sense! The 2 new ones Off the Map and Mr. Sunshine were both quite good and needed much more time to grow and become popular. Brothers and Sisters was one of the only well written, sensible family type shows on tv and they cancel it! How insane! Let’s see what garbage they replace it with! I can’t wait to see.

Comment by Amy – September 21, 2011 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew so many people who faithfully watch b&s :-( they can still bring it bk…. Sundays will not be good without the walkers

Comment by marina – September 23, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I HATE that Brothers and Sisters got cancelled. I thought it was a great show!

Comment by Lisa – September 25, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers and Sisters was an extroidinary show that I looked forward to each week. I would get everything done so I could enjoy my favorite show. I cannot imagine what possessed anyone to cancel this show. It offered so much for families that could relate to the many aspects of some part of their family life.Brothers and sisters had excellent entertainment combines with laughter, chaos, real life, real issues and some silliness.

I am extremely disappointed to see that this show was canceled. What were you thinking????? I did not even watch the Pan Am show that took the time slot as I found the cancelation to be very upsetting and no warning???? What is up with that? At least give us some type of closure on the family we have watched all these years. Heartless!

Comment by Katie – September 26, 2011 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to admit there are very few TV shows I like or have time to watch, but “Brothers & Sisters” was one of them. Working as a journalist, It’s hard to make time or get home early enough to watch TV. Sundays were my night. I’d watch the show, which I have seen every episode. It was truly the best show on ABC. ABC execs should remember that viewers are key for ad sales, and without ad sales, there is no money or jobs. Hello!!! Keep your viewers happy or fire the execs!

Comment by Kendra – September 26, 2011 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved V. abc is trippin!

Comment by ILuvV – September 28, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why v?y cancel the only alien series that rocks?n then u leave us in big suspence….i loved v!i loved anna and her clothes,her courage.her maliciousness.plz the least u cn do is give us some closure.

Comment by Faith – September 29, 2011 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sad I just found out now that Brothers and Sisters have been cancelled. I loved that family so much as if I was a Walker myself. I must say Kevin and Scotty were my favorites. I love how Justin matured and became a Medic….I’m just too through and can’t believe I don’t have a Sunday Night Family anymore :-(

Comment by Helen Smith – September 30, 2011 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just figured out B&S was missing from my sundays! ABC, what are you thinking? I am a faithful ABC follower, and I cannot believe this. Are we to believe this is the end of ABC? I just can’t imagine why you would cancel a series of this magnitude! I have watched GH since before I was born(thanks to my beloved mother ), and I think I might be able to live without GH vs. B&S. PLEASE RECONSIDER!!!!

Comment by Hollywoodink – October 2, 2011 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SHAME ON YOU for taking Brothers and Sisters off the air. Bad producer, bad producer, bad producer. What a shame. i”m embarrassed for you

Comment by unknown – October 2, 2011 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love brothers and sisters. One of my favorite shows. They take the good family shows off and keep bringing on crime shows. I just don’t get it. Then they wonder why there is so much crime.

Comment by Sue – October 4, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IRS very sad to see Brothers & Sisters go. This season is the final season for Desperate Housewives so although a season apart their fate is similar. It would have been nice to give Brothers & Sisters the same respect, especially with all the superior talented cast and it’s fearlessness in approaching difficult issues. To see a weekly show that depicted not only a gay character but a gay couple who were your average gay couple and not the stereotype that most straight people think we are. As one of the founding department heads on the American version of Queer As Folk, it made me proud that a regular “family” show was showing a gay couple as a regular family.
    In the end could it be possible that the show became too expensive with actor salaries and fewer advertisers and viewers? When that happens it is very difficult to keep a show going no matter how great the talented cast, brilliant writing and superb directing and producing.
    The TV world is a sadder and lesser place without Brothers & Sisters but another show will be just around the corner taking it’s place with excellence in all those categories.
    A sad farewell to an amazing cast and crew…to an awesome show.

Comment by Michael – October 5, 2011 04:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t blame Americans as a whole for this problem, as it makes you sound ignorant. Blame our shoddy, impatient tv execs who are so concerned about quarterly ratings and the bottom-line that they don’t even give shows a chance to find their audiences anymore before cancelling them. And no, people who watch Jersey Shore don’t count as Americans, either. They only count as morons, and morons are universal :)

Comment by Ben – October 7, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the heck why does this keep happening. How can you cut a show without an ending. People have invested time in watching this family. It so reminds me of my own family and that is why I loved watching. To replace this show with Panam or whatever that lame show is called is just wrong. At least give it a fair well show. This sucks I have been waiting to post it on my dvr for the last month and now I finds out it was canceled. You guys stink!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Karen – October 13, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why on earth would you cancel brothers and sisters, and leave all those stuip reailty shows.. this show is really good and we as the one who watch the show should have a say so. you have so many housewivwes show get then off and bring back our b\s we were led to believe that it was coming back in sept… please see what you can do and return our show to us

Comment by pat lane – October 14, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC is really good at messing the good programs up. I really enjoyed “V”. Now my favorite “Desperate Housewives” is over. Guess that leaves me watching other stations. Guess that is what they want. They have taken off others and never have a ending which really gets me. Thought the public was the ones that made or broke the programs but it does not look that way any more. Think ABC needs someone new to run it.

Comment by Jan – October 15, 2011 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very disappointed in ABC for cancelling Brothers & Sisters. It was my favorite show of the week, even though the writing was not as good as it used to be. I’ve been patiently waiting for the season premiere and finally investigated to see what was going. VERY TICKED OFF at ABC. I will not let myself get into another ABC series.

YOU SHOULD BRING IT BACK…..

Who was the idiot that decided this?

Comment by Terri Sokaitis – October 17, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deben poner de nuevo la serie V !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Andres – October 18, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe B & S got cancelled. What a shame, I LOVED that show! They’ve replaced it with Pan Am, I won’t watch it, and I am former flight attendant. It doesn’t interest me at all! Cancel Pan Am and bring B & S back! Sunday was MY TV night, now I don’t have B & S to look forward to. :(

Comment by Suzy – October 19, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brother and Sisters is the best show on TV. Sally Field is absolutely the greatest,as is the rest of the cast! the story lines are realtime, relatable, fresh, always interesting. i coud not wait for Sunday evening so I could watch a new espisode. Please, please bring it back!

Comment by Dianne – October 24, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers and Sisters – One of the best shows with superb actors – Bring it back!!!

Comment by Linn – October 28, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :( i hate waner brothers

Comment by Kevin germany – November 2, 2011 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the public has suspected for years that the leadership of network TV is not interested in providing consistent quality entertainment. The cancellation of ‘V’ and ‘Off The Map’ is not easily understandable, the very act itself an abuse of loyal viewership while adding to the growing distrust of American big business. I hope ABC, NBC and CBS end in complete failure.

Comment by wlodell – November 6, 2011 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course a show that everyone loves and instead of adding to the story with extremely good actors and actresses( minus calista) they cackle it. Good job idiots hope your happy because obviously with all the comments we aren’t. If you read this, thanks a lot that was my one vice for the week!

Comment by Christe – November 6, 2011 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems to be that there are only stupid punks in the management of the channel ABC. Visitors are one of the most popular TV Shows in russian speaking countries.
    Disappointment and sadness.
    Tupie urodi, bleaaaaat!!!!

Comment by Otto Karlovich – November 9, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Greys anatomy! So shut up!

Comment by La la – November 10, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Note to myself
    Never watch an abc network’s show again

they always cancel good shows
    They always do

Well the truth is your are not Fox network
    either you bring shows like them
    or just deal with and don’t break our hearts you greedy greedy networks
    V and B&S are awesome shows…

Comment by Fara – November 18, 2011 02:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe they’re taking V off the network! It was getting to be so good! I could not wait to see each new episode. I think that if they advertised it a little bit more it would’ve been a hit. Afterall, it was my favorite show. It’s just like Flash Forward. Another great show that I’ll never know the ending to. What a bummer. These shows are so much better than Glee and Jersey Shore. People just don’t know a good show I guess.

Comment by Margaret – December 10, 2011 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • we want the v
    it’s imazing
    we want the 3 seoson

Comment by mohammed – December 16, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear bosses ABC return V on 3 seasons please.

Comment by vitec – December 18, 2011 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is exactly why I hesitate to watch ABC shows.
    I knew of “V” from the 80,s and figured I,d give ABC another shot after what i consider to be a disaster in “LOST”,then they go and do this all over again;start and wont finish a good thing and PROBABLY will try to start it up again,and if they do,i will not watch.
    Seems like generation X has arrived as the studio heads!
    Why don’t you guys just go shopping.

Comment by Ol school Donz – December 19, 2011 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aren’t we all fed up with them cancelling great shows and replacing them with garbage. Are they really basing viewership on those Nielsen boxes? Come join our group on Facebook and let all the networks know what you think. Perhaps, together, we can make TV worth watching again! http://www.facebook.com/groups/TVTalkBack/

Comment by Karen Nall – December 20, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there some possible way to convence ABC to bring back the new “V” series and “No Ordinary Family” to at least finish out the storylines to a proper final ending?” If ABC is not willing to pick these shows back up, at least have some of the other “big networks” or others such as the USA Network or the SyFi Channel (SyFi would be ideal) take over. Shows such as these two were quite interesting and let many fans in suspense when they were cancelled all of a sudden. They should be finished out to a end like the new Battlestar Galactica storyline.

Comment by Bennie Vaughn – March 20, 2012 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, ABC dropped the ball huge! Every show that I enjoyed, are you serious? Is it even legal to keep ending shows with out ” closure” for the viewer? If it is it sure isn’t ethical. Not watching any show until it’s on its third season. ABC it’s out of my primetime line up permanently. I won’t get left cliffhanging again by them.:-(

Comment by Christina – March 27, 2012 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s terrible all the crap that tv has become, nothing but reality tv now, drives me crazy, been looking forward to Brothers and Sisters to just read not coming back on, could have ended it alittle bit better instead of just dropping it, but as Tv gets worse and worse what else are we to expect.

Comment by Sheryl – March 27, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I live in the UK and just finished watching both seasons of “V”. The second season was a big improvement on the first and a great disappointment that the show has now been cancelled. The US is the best at creating these shows and is an excellent window to the rest of the world, when it comes to the imagination of the writers and astounding sci fi effects. Come on ABC at least treat the rest of the world to a 2 hour special that ties up the loose ends. I must admit if I get the chance to hire another different show released by ABC, I will think about whether it’s worthwhile, due to ABC’ s reputation for cancelling shows without truly bringing them to a conclusion.

JD

Comment by JD – April 7, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers and sisters has and still is a great show. The way the series ended was shameful because they could continue the construction of the story or plot, focusing on new and supposedly sister of Sarah, the life of justin, saul of the kevin and scotty inclusive with the kitty and seth. I can not stop focusing on what was a great series, and as a enrendo interesting and a cast that could have been better explored ……

Comment by paul – April 20, 2012 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The cancellation of V was extremely terrible of NBC. \What is with all the MINDLESS reality shows?

Comment by M. Frazier – May 28, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • : ( Have just been watching re-runs of Brothers & Sisters, thinking to myself why hasn’t the new season been on tv??? : (

Comment by dsaysknittingrocks – June 4, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fcuk you ABC idiots…. Bring V back!

Comment by Anna – July 23, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched every episoide of b&s with My husband and children, so very upset it was cancelled with out a proper send off so many questions left unanswered abc has lost a true folwer for life, so many great programs habe been cancelled and replaced with crap your viewing public deserved more, i Hope Who every made this dession has lost their jobs for letting down the american viewers. I know i will not support their other programs shsme on you, shame on you

Comment by mel – August 23, 2012 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • V – лучший сериал! Хочу третий сезон, ибо на 2 сезоне история явно не закончилась

Comment by Konotop – October 11, 2012 02:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unreal. Cancelling V?????? Shame on ABC….where is the petty cash of your ignorance. A movie is made for travelling through history and not forgotten in its present currency. Stupid….idiotic….decision….would shave those balls and send him to wash dishes in Tom Cruise’s Cocktail….as an extra…

Comment by Daniel – June 26, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post