Breaking: ABC Cancels Brothers & Sisters, V, Mr. Sunshine, Four Others

Friday the 13th turned out to be doomsday for Brothers & Sisters and V: ABC has axed both shows. The Alphabet net also pulled the plug on rookie series No Ordinary Family, Off the Map, Better With YouDetroit 1-8-7 and Mr. Sunshine.

Though, as Deadline reported, the network was trying to find a way to bring back B&S for an abridged final season, in the end, the suits elected to free up their post-Desperate Housewives time slot for a new show. As a result, last Sunday’s B&S season finale is now, retroactively, the series’ finale.

V, meanwhile, was on the upswing. Its ratings remained so-so, but after a shaky start, it returned for a second season on solid ground creatively. Heck, it even added to the cast the delectable Jane “Diana” Badler from the ’80s version.

So, are you surprised that the Walkers have popped their last cork? That the aliens are no longer a threat? And which dearly-departed ABC series will you miss the most?

For up-to-date intel on the fate of all your favorite bubble shows, bookmark TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard and check back frequently.

(polls)

1. Ashley says:

I can’t believe they cancelled brothers and sisters. It isone of the best show on tv by far and a family we shouldn’t live without. This season was incredible. I’m soooooo upset to hear this!!! Please bring it back. It makes me look forward to sunday nights! Quality tv for once!

2. Jao says:

B&S and V were two of 3 shows I watched on ABC. Darn! Networks just don’t care.

3. rhea Hitter says:

I so love that show Why Why why no not B & S

4. JohnnyR says:

I haven’t watched most of these shows, but the two I did, I liked.
    I be missing Mr Sunshine and No Ordinary Family, NOF was really a nice family show that was unlike any other out there now. Love it, will miss it.

5. Caryn says:

No reason to watch Sunday night tv any longer! Brothers and Sisters was one of the few shows I actually looked forward too. Shame on ABC!

6. Mm says:

I am very sad to see Brothers & Sisters cancelled – now what on, nothing

7. liam says:

I wish they allowed Brothers and sisters a sixth and final season for closure. What we DON’T need is another reality TV show!!! do the decent thing and bring it back for one more year! A lot of faithful followers!!!!!

8. Federico says:

I really wanted B&S to get a proper ending. : (
    It was the first show i really fell in love with… i know ot got bad in the last 3 seasons, but still… i dont want it to end. :(

9. Mike says:

To be perfectly honest, this is why I am losing interest in Network (in fact almost all) television. Any remotely interesting show (to me) gets cancelled within 1 or 2 seasons. I don’t want to invest in any shows anymore, because they’ll just get pulled out from under me.

10. Brie says:

I LOVE Brothers and Sisters, but I’m okay with it being over. It ran its course, and it would have likely disintegrated had it overstayed its welcome.

But Mr. Sunshine?! That show was great and was just getting started; it had so much more to offer. It was NOT given a proper chance. We really should have at least one season of Modern Family, Cougar Town, AND Mr. Sunshine all on the same night before they make any decision about canceling. Lame and retarded. WTH are they thinking?

11. Penny says:

I am very disappointed in ABC’s decision to cancel the show. It’s such a groundbreaking show and one of the few high quality shows left. What can we do to change their minds? I have already sent an e-mail to abc.com

12. Leah says:

Michael – Please get a final interview with the producers of,
    “Brothers & Sisters” – we need a little closure. Let us know everyone gets their happy ending, that kind of thing. :-)

13. P elmlinger says:

Wow, I am super depressed that you are removing Brothers and Sisters. I would rather you canceled Desperate Housewives, and V. Now there’s nothing to watch on Sunday nights…zzzzzzzzzzzzz

14. vi says:

I watch off the map, mr sunshine, and better with you every week! So sad to see them good when your just starting to love them :(

15. Laura says:

WTF! IS ABC CANCELLING ALL THEIR SHOWS FOR?

ITS NOT ENOUGH THEY ARE TAKEN OUT AMC AND OLTL, BUT NOOOO THEY HAVE TO AX 7 SHOWS.

Side note: the only show I really cared about was Mr. Sunshine, and I’m not that upset, but pissed at ABC cause they are screwin around with primetime TV and its only a matter of time, before all Major networks are airing are reality tv.

16. J.caddy says:

How can networks keep cancelling decent shows, when there is so much rubbish on tv? No ordinary family, V, Heroes, Flash forward were not without their critics, but better than most on the box. What do I pay my tv licence for? Reality tv, documentaries and repeats?

17. genifer says:

wow, I´m terribly sad that B&S is over. Many are complaining about this it is poorly written but on MY point of view, this is how a real family in real life is. i can relate to the Walkers because i belong to a big family too. and i can see my family to them. we are almost the same as the walkers when we have issues in the family. I´m missing my family so much because i´m living out of the country and B&S helps me a lot fight out homesickness… At least I hope they bring them back 1 season more. to put closure on Kitty and Seth´s situation. I´m going to miss Nora. and kevin & scotty…

18. Joel says:

I’m not surprised “V” got cancelled. I watched the first season on Hulu, because I was watching another show, and when the producers of the show decided NOT to stream the 2nd season, that pretty much sealed their fate. Ratings or not, had they streamed “V” it would have given the show new life. Maybe SyFy should pick it up if interested.

19. Furious says:

Brothers ad sisters and off the map are two of the beat shows on tv. Why not cancel private practice instead. The show is getting boring and Addison is getting really annoying with her holier than thou facial expressions! Off the map ha such a great feel to it as a new show especially because of it’s setting. And brothers and sisters….. Well the chemistry and the humor in the show is something that not many other shows have these days! Plus I’m going to miss justin like crazy!!! Is thee any way to get them to change their decision?

20. Marc M~ says:

I am so disappointed that Brothers & Sisters didn’t get their abbreviated renewal! The season finale definitely could have served as a series finale … but I want MORE! Any chance of a two hour wrap-up special? No? I didn’t think so! :(

21. Aaron says:

I don’t care about any of these other shows besides V. V is the BEST show on ABC and had the best acting. To hear they decided to cancel such an epic series is sad. Now I just am not going watch anything on ABC, so good job losing all your sci-fi fans. I really hope V gets picked up by another program who will recognize its worth. The writing for season 2 was amazing and the way they ended it left me wanting so much more. I thought it would be safe for another season, but I guess ABC rather have new crap that will get cancelled quick.

22. lee-ann anderson says:

i agree, with all the comments on here, ABC you definately really suck now you have nothing going for you, at all, you have ruined your station by taking off good shows that everyone liked, and replacing them with crap.
    you seriously messed up with cancelling v
    i won’t be watching your station again, because now there is no need

23. Love my bros and sissies says:

What to do without the Walkers on Sunday nights? Surely another network will consider picking up B&S so fans can continue to chill out and pop a cork with the dramedy of this great family before Monday kicks a new week. Here’s hoping – especially with the power additions to the cast this year, new viewers were coming to the show, and with the right storylines, it could have had a great final run next year. This cancellation is a mistake by ABC. At least give us a Sunday night movie of the week! Or ABC Family – pick it up!

24. Amy says:

It saddens me that Brothers and Sisters, which used to be one of my favorite shows, got so terribly bad over the last couple of seasons, that I really don’t care much that it’s gone.

It’s only sad because it used to be such a good show

• derekmorgansfakegirlfriend says:

I loved the Scotty/Kevin relationship and wish and hope they do a spinoff. One of the best episodes was Scotty’s admission he had cheated on Kevin – Call Mom. It was followed by Ideal Husband, which was favorite of the entire season. Loved it.

25. derekmorgansFakeGirlfriend says:

I loved, loved B&S – well actually I watched for Scotty/Kevin relationship. I will definitely be purchasing the S5 DVD. That was the primetime show I watched on ABC. If money is an issue, why not just bring back Scotty and Kevin? You have Olivia, baby Daniel, and Michelle.

26. Monana says:

ACK! My heart just sunk as I read they’re canceling Brothers & Sisters! Just when the writer’s were rearing up with a few (good) new shorelines! I agree with the previous comments that bringing the Ryan character slaughtered the flow, but now with Scotty/Kevin’s new family, Kitty’s pregnancy, and the wedding??? It was too good to be true, right? Overly ambitious shorelines (divorces, deaths, etc) that shot off in every different direction ultimately lead to it’s own demise. I guess I’ll have to invest in the box-set when it comes out, and cry into my bowl of popcorn.

PS. ABC execs (if you’re actually paying attention) for GOD’S SAKE knock it off with the reality TV shows. People can tun into MTV for crap like that.

27. jjj says:

Loved Brothers and sisters – not just my show but it is our bonding show(with my son) i look forward to Sundays for this show. I hope the station brings it back!

28. una says:

Not, Brothers and sisters, there’s so many uninteresting show’s to axe. Le sigh. I was looking forward to expanding my B&S collection. Chanting protesting uncacnel, Walkers………. walkers…..walkers!

29. Ellen says:

I won’t watch ABC anymore! I hate you for cancelling Brothers&Sisters. You have such bad shows airing and you get to cancel the best one. You are stupid.

30. Ms LaurieAnn says:

I have watched Off The Map from day one and really enjoyed it ! I am very sad that it has been cancelled !

31. DeDe Hill says:

Please not Brothers & Sisters! Such a great show. I don’t get it.

32. wanda says:

I WILL MISS BROTHERS AND SISTERS.I HAVE BEEN WATCHING SINCE THE BEGINNING. IT IS ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS ON TELEVISION. PLEASE RECONCIDER THIS. WE DON’T EVEN GET A GREAT ENDING TO THE SHOW. YOU ALWAYS CANCEL THE BEST SHOWS. JUST SAYING !!!!!

33. billk says:

Wow! With this news I am down to only THREE hours of television I currently watch weekly left on the air. Don’t see much in the way of replacements either. Going to have an awful lot of free time on my hands come fall.

34. John says:

I can’t believe they cancelled the only 2 shows I watch on ABC. Guess I’ll just block that channel, nothing else worth watching on there now.

Who runs that network? Seems like a complete moron to me.

35. Deanna says:

This is beyond disappointing & heart breaking. Mr. Sunshine was absolutely hilarious. Off the Map was a “keep you on the edge of your seat” drama. Even my husband was hooked on it. And No Ordinary Family reminded you of wanting super powers as a child, the perfect fantasy show. Maybe the Syfy channel can pick it up?
    This is still very upsetting. These are genuinely entertaining shows, cast aside because they didn’t have the ratings of all the reality crap shows.

36. Rick says:

ABC killed this show with thier lack of commitment to the program. How many times did ABC preempt the show during the last season?? The viewers never knew when the show was on television! How does a Network hold an audience playing with programming that way?? I’m not surprised, but sad to see a GOOD scripted program go away.

37. Mr. T.V. Watcher says:

I can’t believe they cancelled all my favorite shows again. Every time I get into a show the networks do this to me. It’s no wonder more people are watching movies instead of serialized TV. Why can’t the networks just leave the show alone for a while to give them a time to grow an audience? They let “One Live To Live” have 40 some years of life. Oh Well! Time to head for NETFLIX!

38. Beth says:

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Why do they have to cancel V!!!! ughhhhh what is wrong with ABC these days!!!! I finally got into the show and of course they just have to cancel it! Why do they always cancel the good shows!

39. Chris says:

Don’t worry… FOX, or random cable channels, usually pick up the scraps…

40. dertydude says:

i am so shocked that abc is cancelling off the map and detoit 187 me and my wife have watched greys anatomy and private practice since the start and we thought off the map was the next big thing im so mad about this and detroit 187 even though we never really watched cop shows this was one of the greats these 2 shows are 2 of the best on tv abc is doing something wrong if peoples not watching because i know good tv and those are 2 greats im 35 and ive watchd alot of tv i have every show from dallas to dukes of hazzard to greys anatomy to martin and so on and off the map and detroit 187 was goimg to be right up there and i havent heard anything about scoundrals even that was going to be good other than wensday night and body of proof abc’s new lineup will not have me as a watcher im really mad and someone at abc has messed up trust me im tv show watching machine and those shows were going to be greats i like body of proof and will keep watching but those 2 shows are way better than that one so im sorry abc but yall got this way wrong.

• dertydude says:

even better with you was a good half hour sitcom comeon abc but as for off the map and detroit 187 theres just noway yall shouldv got those 2 wrong the success that greys and private practice have had is where those 2 couldv went i should really be working for abc trust me either the nights needed to be changed or more advertising but noway can people not like those 2 shows just noway in hell.

41. DD says:

I cant believe they dropped V, everyone here in South Africa is hooked on it, even more than Desp Housewives. ABC, you Suck!!!

42. GinaG says:

OFF THE MAP! Ugh! I LOVED it!

43. M Hoover says:

DEVASTATED!!!
    PLEASE bring back Brothers and Sisters, if only for a finale. I need closure!!!!

44. Amanda says:

So sad about Off the Map. I loved that show

45. Karen Bolen says:

I really hope Disney does something about ABC’s ceo’s. They have left me with only Thurs nights to look forward to. GA & PP. I loved B&S’s, but of course in their tiny minds, it was too much like a soap, as in AMC & OLTL, so cancelled it is. So congrats ABC ! You now have me for 2 hrs a week. Thank God for Lifetime and Army Wives for saving Sundays for me now.

46. Jerold Crawford says:

I will miss both V and brother & Sisters equally – both were always TIVO’ed for later viewing. Both were insightful and smart – What is wrong with ABC?

47. Thomas says:

ABC is making stupid decisions…

Brings back V, cancels V…. replace Flashforward again with V….

Flashforward was an amazing show with growing interest and fans… pffft…

never support a ABC show cuz its gonna die anyways…

48. V says:

V NO WAY!! LOL, ABC will regret the decision when along comes a real alien invasion, just like in 2009’s V, and there will be no result…

But seriously! V’s episodes are lined with supense! The actors are amazing, the music is amazing, the effects are good for a continuous series… i mean… what the hell! :(

49. Piksy says:

I am sad to find out that “V” has been cancelled. I was really hoping that ABC would renew and not leave it on the cliffhanger that they did.

GUTTED :(

50. Melissa says:

I am sooo sick of ABC canceling good shows!! This is now the 4th show I really got into and ABC canceled it! ABC you REALLY made a BIG MISTAKE canceling OFF THE MAP!!!! You have now lost another viewer, NEVER AGAIN will I watch new shows on ABC!!